Reviews

Intelligent English horror
20 October 2019
A superb horror film in all respects. It's got a wonderful creepy atmosphere which builds and builds and builds as the story progresses. The ending of this film is what really sticks with the viewer. "Burn, Witch, Burn" manages to build a lot of suspense along the way to it's impressive climax. It's creative cinematography and flip-flopping of traditional horror movie gender roles make it a unique movie experience. Intelligent English horror.
Triangle (2009)
My head hurt after watching this awesomeness.
19 October 2019
Written and Directed by - Christopher Smith Starring - Melissa George, Joshua McIvor, Jack Taylor, Michael Dorman, Henry Nixon, Rachael Carpani, Emma Lung, Liam Hemsworth, Bryan Proberts

I'm not sure where to go with this review. The basis of the plot is a story I've heard before and actually reminded me a lot of a films I have previously reviewed. The problem is that the movie was so good and adds enough of a twist to the idea that revealing anything about the movie would make me feel bad for ruining it.

I'll have to stick with the performances and cinematography of the film. Both aspects are very well done and Melissa George shines in her role. She plays Jess, a single mother of an autistic boy who is out for a day on the ocean with some friends. The rest of the cast do a great job as well but it's George who has center stage since the film really revolves around her. She slowly becomes more and more unhinged as the movie progresses and the group is put in more danger aboard the ocean liner.

The funny thing about Triangle is when you think it's over, it keeps hitting you with more crazy WTF. Suffice it to say Triangle is the one of those films that had me Wikipedia-ing, Googling and IMDB-ing after I saw it. I enjoyed the movie but wanted to understand it completely.

I like seeing those films that makes you think minutes, hours, days and months after you've seen it. Triangle does just that. It's definitely going to make my Top 10 List. 9/10
Zombieland (2009)
Hilarious Ensemble Triumph in a seriously funny film
19 October 2019
Very enjoyable film. Great dialog, fun visuals and solid acting makes Zombieland an absolute riot .
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's worth the wait, your time and your money
18 October 2019
Director: Ruben Fleischer Writers: Dave Callaham (screenplay), Rhett Reese (screenplay) Stars: Woody Harrelson: Tallahassee (Academy Award-nominated actor) Jesse Eisenberg: Columbus (Academy Award-nominated actress) Emma Stone: Wichita (Academy Award-Winning actress) Abigail Breslin: Little Rock (Academy Award-nominated actress) Zoey Deutch: Madison

Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita, and Little Rock move to the American heartland as they face off against evolved zombies, fellow survivors, and the growing pains of the snarky makeshift family.

Fans of the original Zombieland should definitely make a point of checking out the sequel. Zombieland: Double Tap is a riot, and a lot of that is due to an the all-star cast. In particular Zoey Deutch and her character, Madison. When it comes to sequels that do the original film justice, it is up there.

Stay for the end credit scene! You won't regret it! The film had the whole cinema laughing throughout the movie ! It's worth the wait, your time and your money. 8/10
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The camera gets a case of the wandering eyes.......
16 October 2019
A high school student's slumber party turns terrifying as an escaped mental patient with a drill decides to crash the evening.

You don't get a good look at the killer until the movie is more than half over. This is good, because once you do see him, you lose all respect for the people that are running and hiding from him. He's about five foot two and moves so slowly with his stupid drill that any reasonably fit person (including all of the athletic women he is stalking) could easily dodge that spinning drill bit and kick the crap out of him. He is the least scary killer in slasher movie history.

We see our first boob about 43 seconds in, and thereafter we see an average of a pair every ten minutes. Like almost all slasher movies, it has its share of gratuitous nudity, but there is one example that had me laughing out loud. In the shower scene early on, we see the head and shoulders of one girl from behind as she stands in the spray, talking to the girl next to her. The camera gets a case of the wandering eyes and pans down slowly to show a shot of her butt that lasts for a few seconds. Hay , The Slumber Party Massacre was "written and directed by women". I say more power to them .

While it provides the requisite nude scenes and gory murders, it did not put me to sleep in between the exploitation. So yeah. This was an early 80s slasher nostalgia filled romp. Absolutely worth watching if you are a genre fan.
Batwoman (2019– )
Rachel Skarsten as (Alice) is the high-lite
13 October 2019
Batwoman is off to a promising start but this series is going to need some more time to find its identity.

Rachel Skarsten as (Alice) is the high-lite of the series and look forward to watch her as Ruby Rose (batwoman's) archrival.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must-see for high-concept , art house horror fans. 7.8/10
13 October 2019
Director: Nicholas Winding Refn Cast: Elle Fanning, Jena Malone, Keanu Reeves, Abbey Lee, and Bella Heathcote

An aspiring model, Jesse, is new to Los Angeles. However, her beauty and youth, which generate intense fascination and jealousy within the fashion industry, may prove themselves sinister.

This film definitely falls in the "love it or hate it" category. It is methodical, dark, and forces the viewer to come to their own conclusions. And yet, if you're willing to go where The Neon Demon is taking you, one will have had a mind trip in the weirdest possible directions and a physical reaction to it that is something I rarely ever get with films. It's 100% worth the ride.

To its credit, the film deliberately avoids the horror cliches that first jump to mind, instead stretching for a unique ending you actually won't see coming.

Every frame could be plucked from the screen and placed in between the covers of a very gruesome version of Vogue. The films soundtrack composed by Cliff Martinez is spot on with the tone of the film and ranges from unsettling and scary atmospheres to full on techno.

This film is a must-see for high-concept , art house horror fans. 7.8/10
Pod (I) (2015)
PTSD , a successful attempt for a low-fi sci-fi action horror flick. 7.5 /10
12 October 2019
Genre: Horror Directed By: Mickey Keating Written By: Mickey Keating Stars: Lauren Ashley Carter (Lyla) , Dean Cates (Ed) , Brain Morvant (Martin)

A family intervention goes horrifically awry within the snowy confines of an isolated lake house.

When Martin's brother and sister arrive at the lakehouse, they find him out of his mind with paranoia, rambling about his experience serving in the military in the middle east, claiming that the government performed experiments on him and his fellow soldiers, saying he's part of a conspiracy that stretches back to Lee Harvey Oswald. A conspiracy to use soldiers to pull off assassinations and terrorist attacks. A conspiracy that has culminated in the creation of "pods", terrifying things programmed to kill and destroy. Martin says he has found a pod in the woods around the lakehouse. He captured it. He has it locked up in the basement.

I think as long as the film has a good script, solid acting, good characters, and a decent soundtrack it will be successful to me. This is how I feel about Pod.

Pod doesn't tread new ground; it's more of a throwback to older films. But, with a decent script and some great special effects, it still kept me on my toes as well as making me jump now and again.

Pod doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it's a successful attempt for a low-fi sci-fi action horror flick. 7.5 /10
Darling (II) (2015)
Darling is a headtrip of a flick
12 October 2019
Director: Mickey Keating Writer: Mickey Keating Stars: Lauren Ashley Carter, (Jug-Face), Brian Morvant, Sean Young,(Dune) Larry Fessenden.

Mickey Keating's psychological horror tale Darling is a stylish piece of cinema with a spooky atmosphere. Presented in glorious, glossy black and white, the film follows a young woman (Lauren Ashley Carter) as she housesits a massive New York home where the previous tenant, also a young woman, committed suicide. Cooped up all alone, the woman begins to experience strange hallucinations that have deadly results.

Lauren Ashley Carter is a revelation. Reminiscent of a mix of Catherine Deneuve in Repulsion and Audrey Hepburn at Breakfast at Tiffany's . Darling relies heavily on Carter's ability to convey emotion through her facial features, and she excels in doing so. She tells the story through her haunting stare and methodical movements in a way that makes dialogue almost unnecessary. The manner in which her eyes bulge when certain things set her off, or the way her movements slightly change whenever situations grow more and more tense is extremely impressive.

Carter rises to new heights of performance here, carrying the story with a confidence and depth that captivates for the entire 78 minutes. The film is most certainly "art house horror", and a terrific headtrip of a flick. 9/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not a nail-biter, but it shows some effort
11 October 2019
Direction: Stacy Title Cast: Douglas Smith, Lucien Laviscount, Cressida Bonas, Doug Jones, Carrie-Anne Moss, Faye Dunaway, Jenna Knell

The Bye Bye Man is an interesting film. The film begins in 1969 as a man with a shotgun walks around his neighborhood and murders anyone who said 'the name' that should not be said. Fast forward to the present, college students Elliot (Douglas Smith), Sasha (Cressida Bonas) who is very tasty , and John (Lucien Laviscount) move into an off-campus house. After they discover the name The Bye Bye Man, things start to go bump in the night and they feel a presence around them. The more they think about the name, the stronger the presence grows. So, they start hallucinating. Those hallucinations lead to distrust, misunderstandings, and irrational fear.

First and foremost, I really liked the concept. The hallucinations aren't particularly frightening, but I thought they played out well. They help create a sense of doubt in every scene. The film was also paced well, never dragging its feet. And fairly well acted. There is some suspense here.. It's not a nail-biter, but it shows some effort 7/10
The Blackcoat's Daughter is a slowburn masterpiece of filmmaking
11 October 2019
Atmospheric and suspenseful . An extremely dark ,brooding film ; fraught with , menace and psychological angst.

Director: Oz Perkins (son of iconic actor Anthony Perkins) Writer: Oz Perkins Stars: Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka, Lucy Boynton

The Blackcoat's Daughter is a compelling, almost hypnotic fever dream. Perkins does tell his story through a curious lens, one that kept me thrilled to the last beat. Part of the way through , the pieces start coming together and when they do..... the climax hits like a kick in the teeth.

Not everyone will find the film their cup of tea; For those that do... like myself, The Blackcoat's Daughter is a serious dose of art house cinematic horror.

The central performances, specifically Emma Roberts(Joan) and Kiernan Shipka (Kat), are utterly fabulous; authentic performances and horrific character development. These two young women make Joan and Kat come off the page with terrifying results. It is wholly disturbing and totally engaging. If you're a fan of ;"Slow-building and atmospheric" horror efforts, Perkins offers nothing but the best here.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intruders (2015)
Thriller and interesting character study
10 October 2019
Cast: Beth Riesgraf, Jack Kesy, Martin Starr, Rory Culkin, Leticia Jimenez, Joshua Mike
Gorgo (1961)
Highly entertaining rubber monster-suit movie
10 October 2019
Kaiju: is a Japanese word that means "strange beast," but often translated in English as "monster" or "giant monster.

"A giant lizard is spotted at an Irish fishing village. Mariners catch it and ship it to London. There, the big attraction turns out to be a baby monster . Unfortunately for London Gorgo's much bigger mom comes looking for her son.

If you like seeing someone in a rubber suit destroy a model city then this isn't bad at all. A pretty decent example of the monster genre. The human actors are rather forgettable but Gorgo and his mom are terrific.

"Gorgo" has some solid assets. The color photography is excellent, not only in the special effects department (credited to Tom Howard), but in the semi-documentary treatment of the London area, where most of the film was made.

With a run time that falls just short of the 80 minute mark, Gorgo is a very lean story that keeps things interesting with a plot that is slightly more than just, "Big monster beats up major city." I wouldn't have minded Gorgo returning in a few sequels .
What an Action Thriller Should Be
8 October 2019
'North by Northwest' must have caught Hitch's eye from the start--it's so typical of the kind of film he loved to make (a man on the run from unseen or unknown enemies). He milks every drop of suspense and along the way injects a lot of humor .A brisk screenplay by Ernest Lehman a Cary Grant that is just pure delight, Eva Marie Saint fresh out of her Oscar from "On the Waterfront" is an icy blonde with a brain and providing a good number of delightful moments. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint are perfect in the leads and James Mason and Martin Landau are highly satisfactory villains.

It's all great fun, with Grant mistaken in the opening scene for a Federal Intelligence agent who doesn't really exist. He is soon swept up in a an amusing and suspenseful twist of plot complications involving spies and counterspies with an unpredictable series of nail-biting scenes that never let up until the smashing climax at Mount Rushmore. The dust-cropping scene is a highlight, skillfully edited and photographed for maximum effect.

As usual, the suspense begins with the opening credits as Bernard Herrmann's staccato notes of music prepare us for what follows. An all-time great that has to rank as one of Grant's and Hitchcock's best films.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No regrets watching this awesome trash horror movie.
8 October 2019
Follows a group of friends that decide to go snowmobiling during their winter break. They make a "wrong turn", getting lost in a storm. Quintessential viewing for all gorehound's. Beyond the genuinely impressive opening sequence, there's all sorts of barbed wire inspired sadism. The gore scenes are particularly well done. Old school Practical effects with real blood work and real Prosthetics. I watched the special features. 'Making Another Wrong Turn'. I have to add that writer and director Declan O'Brien found the most epic location to film "Wrong Turn 4" . Filmed at the abandoned ( Brandon Asylum for the Insane) "I am not making this up".... in Brandon, Manitoba ,Canadian province. No regrets watching this awesome trash horror movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think everyone should check this film out at least once. Scholck perfection !
8 October 2019
Genres Comedy, Horror Director John DeBello Starring Cindy Charles, Joe Price, Gordon Ross and The Killer Tomatoes - They come in regular, large, and truly monstrous sizes, and are capable of mumbling, self-locomotion, and horrible violence, making them the most dangerous fruit on Earth !!

In the annals of bad movie history, people running away from the camera as tomatoes (real and regular, or fake and gigantic) are rolled down the sidewalk is one of those moments. It's the kind of plot that nearly everyone on the planet can identify as a very silly bad movie. The people who do not recognize "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" for what it is are probably living in the Amazon Basin. They still believe that "airliner contrails" are left by the chariots of the gods.

The plot is simple: tomatoes suddenly turn into bloodthirsty monsters. Housewives are mauled while putting away the groceries, old folks stare in shock as a huge Brandywine tomato gobbles down their grandson, and the police discover that buckshot is useless when a horde of rampaging Rutgers tomatoes suddenly erupts from fields gone wild. The tomatoes even take out a helicopter! Not sure how that happened. I guess a massive beefsteak slammed into the tail rotor, destroying the linkage through impact and acid corrosion.

Man, this film is dumb. It is a series of skits about tomatoes killing people that are loosely connected together by Finletter's parachute and Mason Dixon's muttonchops. Dumb is probably the goal. This is one of the very few comedy movies I think is funny. The world could do without "Puberty Love." We hear it quite a few times during the film. The tomatoes can't stand it . The name of the game is pain, and the name of pain is "Puberty Love." It is a song. When you and I hear it we are instantly stricken with agony, and quite likely to curl up in the fetal position..... I think everyone should check this film out at least once. Scholck perfection !
Shakma (1990)
In a film as predictable as this, it was a pleasant surprise watching "Shakma" rip , mame and maul
6 October 2019
Shakma (also known as Panic in the Tower) is a 1990 American horror film directed by Tom Logan and Hugh Parks. It stars Christopher Atkins, Amanda Wyss, Ari Meyers and Roddy McDowall

"Shakma" has a lot going for it. A rabid baboon killing a team of medical school jacka.s.s.e.s is inherently entertaining. Six medical students and a professor are locked inside a medical building with a murderous experimental baboon when an innocent game of Dungeons and Dragons turns deadly.

Yup, the acting was so painful . You know it is a sad day when as an actor when you are shown up by the likes of Sam - Christopher Atkins! Our hero. Atkins acting compared the the rest of the cast was "Oscar worthy". Truth be told Christopher Atkins was more than decent in he's role. The stand-out is baboon TYPHOON as SHAKMA" . He does nothing but chase the students into various rooms throughout the building, whereupon he screeches and throws himself repeatedly against the door until he gets bored. I cannot even begin to describe how much doors piss Shakma off. He absolutely hates the things and it is totally gut busting hysterical to watch.... As absurd as this film was I enjoyed watching "Shakma" rip, mangle and maul the entire eminently forgettable cast. I can see how this film has gained a small cult following over the years. You may add me to the list !
Frogs (1972)
Today the Pond -- Tomorrow, the World ! Eco-horror cheesefest....at its finest !!
5 October 2019
Cast: Ray Milland , Sam Elliott, Joan Van Ark ........Frogs is a 1972 American horror film directed by George McCowan. The film falls into the "eco-horror" category, telling the story of an upper class U.S. Southern family who are victimized by several different animal species, including snakes, birds , and lizards, as well as the occasional butterfly. Nature, the movie suggests, may be justified in exacting revenge on this family because of its patriarch's abuse of the local ecology. The film was theatrically released on March 10, 1972 as a double feature with Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster. Frogs is another awesomely hilarious entry in the "Terrifying Creatures that are marginally Terrifying genre" lol. One of the best aspects of the flick is the "Toad Cam" that Zooms in on the "frogs" before every death . Super cool & totally hysterical .... The reptiles, amphibians, spiders & birds are never particularly frightening but I'm sure they will make some viewers flinch. "Frogs" is hugely entertaining ; a real "hoot" of a film and underrated , it's a fun time capsule to open. "Hoppie the frog" croaks--"Today the Pond -- Tomorrow -- the World " ! Eco-horror cheesefest....at its finest !!
The Golem (2018)
Fantastic slow burn of a film. "Be careful what you wish for"
3 October 2019
Starring: Hani Furstenberg as Hanna Ishai Golan as Benjamin During an outbreak of a deadly plague, a mystical woman must save her tight-knit Jewish community from foreign invaders, but the entity she conjures to protect them is a far greater evil.

The Golem is first and foremost a period piece and works wonderfully in that regard. The costumes, location, set design, and hair/makeup are spot-on. Make no mistake about it, this is a horror film. There's enough evisceration and dismemberment to satisfy hardened gorehounds. Could it use more? Absolutely but still a worthy effort. Note: The Golem is a bit heavy in religious symbolism . Some may not jive with this aspect of the film. Over all I thought it was a fantastic slow burn of a film.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just plain grisly.
3 October 2019
A bus full of convicts and police taking a shortcut through the West Virginia mountains when they're ran off the road. The cons take control of the situation and they head off in the woods but it doesn't take long before a mutant redneck shows up to take them out.

Yup it's just as incredibly bad as everyone says it is but where I seem to differ is that's exactly why I kinda liked it. It's absolute disregard for any kind of professionalism on every level gives it a special so-bad-it's-good charm. Questionable acting, unrealistic dialogue, cheap CG, uneven gore--it's all here and more.....Just plain grisly.
Wrong Turn (I) (2003)
THE HILL HAS EYES meets DELIVERANCE ???
3 October 2019
Director: Rob Schmidt Writer: Alan B. McElroy Stars: Eliza Dushku, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Desmond Harrington THE HILL HAS EYES meets DELIVERANCE ??? A group of people get lost in the middle of nowhere and fall prey to a family of inbred cannibals (the awesomely named Three-Finger, Saw-Tooth, and One-Eye) cannibalistic mountain men grossly disfigured through generations of in-breeding. Sure, it's formulaic, but "Wrong Turn" offers a straightforward story and the decent amount of gore. Personally I would have like to see the "gore" and "violence" taken up a notch or two. I definitely appreciated Eliza Dushku painted on jeans..... So there's that !! I watched the special features and I enjoyed the segment were Eliza Dushku talked about learning and doing her own "stunts". Yup, Wrong Turn is chock full of some of my favorite horror movie tropes. I got what I paid for and appreciate the film; it simply is what it is and it doesn't try to be anything else. Love live Eliza Dushku Babe in the woods....
Exploitation, Grindhouse, Revenge, Horror
29 September 2019
A writer who is brutalized during her cabin retreat seeks revenge on her attackers, who left her for dead. Her rape is something that will be remembered for days on end, after viewing this. She screams, she suffers, and in one scene shambles home holding her arms up in sheer disgust at her violated, torn body. And once she seeks revenge, she hits the deep end and never comes back from it. "I Spit on You Grave" is not a film I'd routinely enjoy. But, it offers something that was genuine in its time, and it's a classic that should be seen. In spite of the repetitiveness it gets caught in around the halfway mark, "I Spit on Your Grave" is still an effective and shocking bit of revenge cinema with Camille Keaton burning herself into my brain as this gorgeous woman who becomes a stone cold punisher on the monsters who ravaged her.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was routing for the Monster ........
29 September 2019
Oh boy do I love The work of Ray Harryhausen when it comes to motion picture special effects comprised of stop-motion. Stars: James Franciscus, Gila Golan, Richard Carlson Taking place in the old west, a group of cowboys, lead by Tuck Kirby, played by James Franciscus (who would later appear in BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES in 1970), track down a big blue Allosaurus-Tyrannosaurus Rex hybrid, to bring it back alive, where it wreaks havoc in the city. James Franciscus does a great performance as the film's protagonist. Gila Golan as the lovely T.J. is added for the film's sex appeal akin to Rachel Welch with ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. Ray Harryhausen was the master of stop-motion practical effects. Film schools like UCLA and American Film Institute should require student to watch "The Valley of Gwangi" . CGI has its place but Ray Harryhausen was "The real McCoy". An immensely entertaining forgotten gem of a film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once again, Roth is really great at the psychological thriller and general "Messed-up ness" of the film.
28 September 2019
A group of student activists travels to the Amazon to save the rain forest . When the group is returning to civilization, the plane blows-up and crashes into the forest. Soon the survivors discover that they are not alone and they are abducted by a tribe of cannibals.

The films of Eli Roth are an acquired taste. But there's one thing you really can't deny and that is that Eli Roth is an avid and obsessive lover of the genre and that clearly shows in every film he delivers. "The Green Inferno" is a giant homage " love letter, even " to the temporarily popular trend of Italian cannibal movies from the late 70s & early 80s. This very secluded horror niche contains relatively few titles, but each and every single one is a notorious and bona fide cult classic. The most infamous and influential one is, of course, Ruggero Deodato's "Cannibal Holocaust".

Once again, Roth is really great at the psychological thriller and general "f--up upt-ness" of the film. As expected, the film delivers lots of gruesome gore (dismemberment, eye-gouging and decapitation aplenty). It also has comedy, with a mixture of the bizarre that is guaranteed to shock viewers. I have seen lots of bad reviews for this movie and I Don't Give A. F. What Reviews or Critics Have To Say , I Love This Film , Eli Roth and Lorenza Izzo are great .
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brains Yum ........I'm addicted. My zombie soap.
28 September 2019
The show had some issues but overall I really enjoyed all the character development and melodramatic drama that is trademark "Fear TWD" . Peace
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.