Lovely film
27 January 2020
A great cast puts a wonderful spin on David Copperifeld I found Hugh Laurie especially wonderful in his role but the film was wonderfully heartwarming somehow without having any specific memorable wow moments. Overall an enjoyable film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Turning (2020)
I wanted to enjoy this
25 January 2020
The premise I think actually has some merit deep down it's just been executed very poorly. The story ended up being very convoluted which wouldn't necessarily have been bad at one point if not for the non ending and to many twists that missed the mark. I actually really liked the lead performance from Mackenzie Davis and a few scares hit the mark but the other cast weren't on the same level and unfortunately the story itself let her still convincing performance down I was atleast going to give it a 5 or 6 but then the terrible ending ruined that to. A story of what could have been unfortunately.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Grudge (2020)
All round shoddy film
25 January 2020
Shoddy acting, shoddy story, shoddy script and worst of all shoddy scares. One of the longest 95 minutes of my life not sure it even raised my pulse at any point whole thing just felt extremely lacklustre although unfortunately I have somehow seen even worse atleast it made sense even if extremely predictable I guess to try and draw a positive.
ARQ (2016)
So so poor
25 January 2020
The actors themselves didn't do much wrong pretty average but the main problem was just the story wasn't great at all and the script just as bad. I didn't care for either side of the story and only just kept going in hope of atleast knowing some sort of conclusion but apparently that was to much to ask also. One of the worst films I've watched in a long time.
Parasite (2019)
A masterpiece
24 January 2020
Utterly bonkers at times but always brilliant something completely fresh for the first time in a long while. Loved every second couldn't take my eyes off the screen words can not justify just how great this film was other than films this good and this original really don't come around very often. Truly riveting and a true joy to watch.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For me the best of the three
24 January 2020
The whole film flowed slightly better than the previous tomorrow with the lead chemistry still there with the added bonus of AMMO who added rather than detracted from the leads a few laughs and some great action even the fairly implausible storyline wasn't enough to stop you enjoying this one.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Boys II (2003)
Good sequel
23 January 2020
Some sublime action set pieces and a great front duo more than make up for the lack of many other things without being anywhere near perfect it was very enjoyable.
Fascinating
22 January 2020
Fascinating look into his life and the crimes he did and may have committed additionally. So saddening to see such a potential good in life end up like it did for all parties involved. I did find his original defence teams decision to change his entire story in closing speech though bemusing and from a legal viewpoint would have been interested how he would have got on with the lawyer from his 2nd case in this trial. I'm not for one second saying he was innocent but purely from a legal standpoint found this admission of being at the crime scene completely ridiculous and wonder what the decision would have been with a more competent defence.
Final Space (2018– )
Second season doesn't quite live up to the same standards
22 January 2020
First season was pretty much perfection and a solid 10/10 the most fun I'd had with a series in a while. Season 2 felt a lot less original and didn't reach the same heights whilst still being reasonably amusing and better than most would give 8/10 so 9/10 overall.
The Wall (II) (2017)
Not feeling it
20 January 2020
Just far to slow the script isn't good enough to carry such a mundane film with such average acting. The longest 88 minute film I can remember watching. Has its moments and a clear message it is trying to put across but not enough to make up for the lack of entertainment and creativity for me.
Like a Boss (2020)
Meh it was ok
20 January 2020
It's not as bad as many have made out I've certainly seen a lot worse. While the storyline is certainly basic as hell there are still enough genuine laughs in between the basic premise to just about make it work. Will I have forgot about it within a month probably but I did enjoy it whilst it lasted atleast to some extent.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
entertaining but nothing bew
20 January 2020
It's well put together and certainly exciting but in many ways it's just as much a journey to France winning the World Cup just centred around Griezeman rather than purely about him. Other than about his sister being at the bataclan I knew pretty much everything shown in the film without being any kind of super fan. Still well worth the watch.
Just Mercy (2019)
The lack of nominations is an outrage
19 January 2020
The fact neither of these guys are nominated in their respected categories is an absolute joke. One of the most impacting films I've seen in a long while with such powerful and raw performances both men should at the very least be nominated at the very least if not winning. A film that deserved a lot better in terms of recognition but didn't take away from boys much it should be love or the impact it still needs to make to continue improving society for black minorities.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waves (I) (2019)
Never had a film break me so hard
19 January 2020
Never had a film impact me so hard emotionally I'm normally a fighter back of the tears and hadn't actually shed a tear at a film in years despite holding them back more than a few times but this was to much spectacularly put together and extremely powerful film perfect to its very core with the most beautiful yet heartbreaking closing scenes even breaking couple of tears out of my usual robotic self. My first 10:10 of the year. Make the effort to see this you won't regret it.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Two Popes (2019)
Surprisingly spectacular
17 January 2020
I'll be honest I saw what the film was about d expected it to be extremely dull if somewhat well acted at best but this took me by surprise it was thoroughly engaging and connected emotionally with a much greater ease than I expected. A film focused so basically on a friendship yet all the more powerful for it. A truly fantastic film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
12 Monkeys (2015–2018)
The most perfect series yet
16 January 2020
Season 1 and 2 already hooked but the last two seasons just blew me away and took it into a league of its own. Only breaking bad and into the badlands could I say I enjoyed to an equal extent of all the programs I've watched. The final few episodes in particular provide a rarely perfect ending compared to the usual disappointments after good series. Cole and Cassie were the perfect love story. Jennifer was the most loveable crazy woman and the whole team rally did give you something to emotionally connect you to them and ensure you were duly rooting for them. A true masterpiece wish it had never ended in many ways but then everything needs to end to live in the now.
Hotel Mumbai (2018)
Rather to watchable in many ways
13 January 2020
In terms of the film and general performances was all quite good and the pace was fine had I not known as we all do that this was based on real events I would probably have been quite enjoying the film to a larger extent. The violence and how it was carried out especially with the soundtrack at one point however made it feel rather trivial and glamourised to much for me at times. Often I felt like I was watching a Michael Bay film so much was the high pace and hollywoodised violence. Furthermore a few clearly added Hollywood moments further removed you from the realness of the events. I did not hate this film and do not feel this was intentional but feel it somewhat missed the tone that should have been intended. A film based on events such as this should leave you feeling sombre and horrified rather than that you are just watching a Friday night thriller. The subject matter just deserved a lot better than that.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reasonable but nothing special
12 January 2020
For a kids film it was reasonable was watchable without ever truly captivating me the occasional laugh but for me could have done with a few more. There have certainly been worse animations but many better also. Kids younger than teenagers will most likely enjoy.
1917 (2019)
Blown away by the cinematography
11 January 2020
The film itself has a simple story and some of the acting at times was a little ropey especially the first half but still that doesn't take away from the mesmerising way this film has been filmed and quite frankly beautiful moments of cinematography despite the horrific landscape of war it was largely set in often taking your breath away. It honestly at times especially watching in imax made me feel if I was there alongside them. All star leads alongside this and it would almost certainly have been a 10 in my eyes but never the less a great film.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reasonable fun
11 January 2020
Whilst the film doesn't break any new ground and is fairly formulaic it still has that feel good factor with two very likeable leads and enough actual laughs to get by. It won't blow your socks off but perfect for a quiet night in.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Playing with Fire (I) (2019)
Great family friendly fun
10 January 2020
I think most of the negative reviews are probably forgetting the purpose and target audience of the film is younger children. The stories basic as hell and quite frankly ridiculous at all but I'm not ashamed to say I still had a lot of fun. Great slapstick fun a nice positive message for kids some great intentional over acting a real laugh from start to finish if you're prepared not to take yourself to seriously. Just remember it's a kids film and not everything has to be edgy in some way.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bombshell (2019)
Gripping powerful drama
7 January 2020
Excellent performances throughout an extremely powerful film that shows just how easily sexual harassment can go unpunished with enough ignorance around and how the fight against it hasn't truly been won just swept under the carpet if it keeps being dealt with how it is.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Boys (1995)
Underwhelmingly average
7 January 2020
Given the cast and things I'd heard about the film in the past I was looking forward to watching this especially ahead of the new film coming out. Overall I was disappointed sure action film wise it was ok but nothing special but laughs wise I cant say I particularly did laugh it just wasn't all that funny which I really was hoping it would be. Maybe it just hasn't aged well but I just couldn't fully buy into it.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only a whisker away from the greatness of ip man
6 January 2020
Not quite at the perfect level of the original ip man films but not far away. Action scenes are pretty much perfect to accompany a daily basic but still compelling storyline.
Brassic (2019– )
Got better and better
3 January 2020
At first I thought it was just good but the last couple of episodes especially were exceptional and never any worse than good. Can't wait to see what season 2 brings!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.