Uncle Drew (2018)
Enjoyable family fun
10 October 2019
A film the whole family can enjoy some great laughs and set pieces other times it's slightly average but had enough laughs to get by without breaking any new ground and being a tad forgettable. Perfect viewing on a weary Sunday night.
Maleficent (2014)
Great fun
9 October 2019
Enchanting visually and emotionally a great performance all round and fun for all the family. A little to cheesy for me at some times but to be expected with a Disney film I suppose.
Joker (I) (2019)
Perfection
6 October 2019
The best performance I've seen from an individual actor combined with some of the best cinematography I've ever seen also. So perfectly dark, sinister and crazy! I doubt there will ever be a more perfect joker in any film of this doesn't win multiple oscars it will be a travesty.
Deep State (2018– )
Reasonable spy thriller
4 October 2019
Nothing special but has its moments and interesting enough to get into. Mark strong carried the first season and stood out. However the 2nd has a much better story. Mildly above average worth a watch if you get the chance.
The Last Tree (2019)
Meh
3 October 2019
I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either dragged especially towards the last quarter of the film but did have its moments. Wouldn't go out of your way to see it but passes the time.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Let Go (2019)
Great thriller that keeps you guessing
3 October 2019
Just continued to get better and better from an initial slow burn. Thought it was just going to be an average detective thriller with a b list cast but was far better.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Farewell (I) (2019)
Funny and saddening in equal measures
2 October 2019
A beautiful portrayal of a long farewell and an insight into the difference between western an eastern culture. Powerful performances through and well worth a watch.
Ad Astra (2019)
Tedious waste of time
27 September 2019
Pitt was good in his role but couldn't help this from feeling like an big old road to nowhere. Barely anything happens and I was crying out for the ending by the halfway point at the latest. Nothing wrong with the acting as a whole just not a great story, pacing or script. Good medicine for sleeping if ever on tv and struggling from insomnia.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ready or Not (I) (2019)
So much fun!
26 September 2019
I didn't expect much from this but it just worked perfectly. A great cast, enough of a storyline to work, great action, perfect amount of comedy and one liners thrown into lighten the mood and even a great ending. Most fun I've had at the cinema in months.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jeff Dunham: Beside Himself (2019 TV Special)
Solid comedy special although Jeff has done better.
26 September 2019
Not his best work but still pretty damn hilarious. Would like to see the characters get more equal timing or just more each in general. An hour and a half would have been perfect.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When it's funny it's really funny but can be just as dull
26 September 2019
The interviews are great and the outtakes later even better and make you wonder why more of that material isn't put in. I'd rather see him just do an actuall talk show like this mind. The story in between was fragile at best and just became an annoyance between interviews.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hustlers (2019)
Expected more
25 September 2019
After seeing some of the big praise the film has had including talks of Oscar nominations for Lopez I expected a lot lot more from the film. It was still ok but reasonably good rather than anything exceptional with multiple flaws.
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kitchen (2019)
I was enjoying it but got lost in itself
24 September 2019
I was actually enjoying it for atleast the first half of the film maybe more but it transcended into chaos often not making sense the female empowerment they were going for slightly lost within their actions and the final topping of the cake the closing sequences making no sense at all and a cringey speech from Mellisa McCarthy. I actually liked the 3 women in the role and was working well but they tried to fit to much in the storyline often parts clashing with each other or straight up plot holes before in the end going from what was a great feeling of female empowerment to a straight up male hatred speech at the end of the film. I still just about enjoyed enough parts but what could have been an 8/910 rather fizzled out in the second half.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quality action sequences more than paper over the cracks
24 September 2019
The script and overall storyline were more than a little ropey and some of the early sequences with Rambo talking more than a little cringey. Despite these floors however the action sequences are perfectly executed and once the pace of the film picks up its more than entertaining enough to spend your time on. Not perfect but worth the watch.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sprinter (2018)
Charming but often cliche
13 September 2019
It follows a tested and tried formula has an extremely likeable lead and was thoroughly enjoyably throughout despite its predictability and using the template of many successful sports films. The only thing that was slightly annoying was the subtitles were horrific often nothing like what they actually said and I'm not sure why they were needed anyway given it was in English to begin with. Doubt many would be disappointed with this and most will enjoy without it blowing anyone's minds or achieving any true level of greatness.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Occasionally cliche but still beautifully performed
11 September 2019
De Niro felt like he was at his best for a long while in this film a passionate performance in fact most of the cast milked every drop of passion and emotion into this film. Occasionally it was a little cliche for my liking following the same route as many generic boxing and sports films in general but still managed to be thoroughly entertaining.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had its moments but pacing all wrong
8 September 2019
I struggled so hard to keep attention with this film at times it excelled but to often it needlessly dragged and felt splintered into separate films. Unfortunately hard to enjoy due to this and nowhere near as scary as the first. Could and should have been much better.
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mustang (2019)
Reasonably acted but incredibly boring
4 September 2019
I couldn't connect or care for any of the characters the film dragged like hell with zero emotion throughout. There was nothing wrong with any specific performance within the film it just felt there was very little substance to the story and unlikely to even be conceivably possible to have happened at times.
Has its moments
4 September 2019
A strong central performance about a film that dances around the edges of the grim reality at times and at times was poorly paced sometimes rushing sections and dragging other parts out. Still does a good job making you care about most the characters unlike some similar films. Unfortunately however it doesn't quite all come together and falls just short of being anything more than reasonably good.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Informer (2019)
Gritty emotive crime thriller
3 September 2019
An absorbing thrill ride of a crime thriller. Unlike some reviewers I actually found this well paced with enough twists to keep it interesting and a ruthless violent edge alongside the drama. Was tempted to even rate as a 9 until near the end but I just can't stand open endings to these things no matter how minor unless we know there'll be a sequel I just want to know how the story is resolved fully. Nevertheless one of the better thrillers of the year so far and well worth a watch.
Goosebumps extra dark edition
3 September 2019
The film is fast paced likeable leads and ultimately at times actually pretty scary for all ages unlike goosebumps itself. Whilst it took from many classics with slight twists upon each all Mildred together it still works and will be enjoyable for anyone in high school or above with enough about it without the scares to have you invested with the characters and by the end a potential sequel. One of the better horror films this year.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb performances with limited material
3 September 2019
Timothy spall in particular was fantastic as in fairness he always is in portraying the raw emotion of his character through with Redgrave not far off. In honesty I enjoyed this film but could not get over excited about it as it is ultimately a series of often mundane bedroom conversations between a bitter mother and loving son. The fact it kept my attention in this setting was an achievement in itself. I would personally have liked to seen more focus on the art itself in between or a larger portion of his life but for what it was the performances really maximised it's entertainment level and make it a worthwhile and interesting hour and a half despite its limitations.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
28 August 2019
Thought provoking and action filled not the best film I've ever seen but extremely entertaining with some great performances nice to see a thriller with a high school and technology twist.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Arizona (2018)
Meh wasn't bad wasn't good
28 August 2019
Definition of an average comedy short enough with a fast enough pace to keep your attention with the odd laugh thrown in. Has its moments but nothing special.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost in London (I) (2017)
Incredibly boring
28 August 2019
I love woody and admire the ambition but this was just so incredibly dull and boring didn't make me laugh once despite being a supposed comedy.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.