Change Your Image
Upload An Image
Crop And Save
ListsAn error has ocurred. Please try again
The Night Of (2016)
A show with a moral
It was a good show. A Muslim main character but portrayed as an ordinary human being, with faults, and without using the cliché of "Terrorism".
A show about the Criminal justice system that doesn't gloss over the procedures like procedural shows do!
It wasn't trying to be a murder mystery, It wasn't a documentary, so don't expect it to be. It was fair in depicting the jaded public servants: bad coroner (other shows either make this kind of characters geniuses or corrupt. This one was trying to please the system, like most of those who work in government)
A show with a moral taught the practical way: Appearances Deceive!.. The step dad fitted the profile, Nasir was almost crushed by very convincing evidences, etc. While the truth was entirely different. I actually think it was cheap from the creators to give the audience hope the real killer will be punished! This was a cop-out.
Symbolism: the cat was Nas, the eczema was Nas' public humiliation being accused of something he had no control over. That's good writing.
A show that shows that male rape is frowned upon in jail (a reality contrary to public convention), a show that shows that the "rehabilitation" is a myth and that living with bad people in bad environment surprisingly doesn't make the prisoner any better!
The Signal (2014)
A really superb movie!
Yes the ending is a "Dark City"-inspired ending, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a surprise.
- The opening music was a slight homage to the famous tune of "Chariots of fire", which is extremely appropriate of course, as "running" was a major theme in "The Signal"! (and Nic's legs were literally "on fire" at the end!)
- When L.Fishburne asked Nic: "Are you sure you were really talking to Jonah?", It reminded me instantly of Morpheus' line to Neo: Do you think it's really AIR that you breathe?! :)
- Have you noticed that the "stage" that witnessed the last "epiphany" of Nic was the same where he broke up with his girlfriend.. the bridge?!.. That's good subtlety, as he came full circle.. The firs time on the bridge he was ignoring his love because his "disability", but after the Aliens gave him a "better one" his self-esteem came back, which made him re-pursue his love!
- I feel that the Aliens are using the girl in the same way The Oracle used Neo's love towards Trinity.. as a motivation for the hero to "know himself".. his true abilities.
- Some said that the girl was underused in the movie. The reason is that the AIs/Aliens/whatever knew that she didn't pursue the signal. She wasn't interested enough in looking for the "answer". That's why she had no Big Final Moment in the movie! Jonah came to appreciate his new abilities at the end, and died a hero. Nic also went all the way, and broke the Gnostic false prison of the mind.. (again, just like Neo did.. and Jim Carrey in the Truman Show)
- One of the cool stuff about the character of Jonah is his Biblical name! He is associated with "the fish", and funnily enough we see him in the beginning complaining about the leaking fish tank.. then in the middle of the movie we see Damon put a fish inside a water tank exactly when the plot re-introduces the character of Jonah!! (clever writing)
- Finally, Olivia Cooke looks exactly like Rose Byrne in KNOWING :)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
The Definition of "cool"..
The Good-Old-Days of entertainment.. Movies were simple, with a moral message, and made to entertain the audience, not to depress them!! Some people say that the tone was too violent for children.. I completely disagree with that. The film was actually very loyal to the original black&white comics. If you only watched the TV series then you're missing a lot my friend!
----- Have you noticed the similarities between TMNT & Star Wars?!! 1-The relationship between Jones and April is very similar to the one between Solo and Leia. 2-The wise old creature: Splinter - Yoda 3-Shredder said: I'm Your Father!! 4-The turtles used something like "the force" to mentally communicate with their master! etc. -----