Reviews

Trevor No!
18 April 2018
Trevor is smug. I do not like it. He keeps it well hidden, but he is far too pleased with himself. His delivery is lazy. His accent is extremely irritating. His material is basically a cookie cutter left wing sjw power point presentation. The daily show sucks now. It always did, but it is even more obvious now. Everyone there, only got their job through affirmative action. They are a series of tokens like pokemon. Blackmon, Arabmon, Latinomon, Gaymon and Womanmon, Gotta Hire Them All! Anime Smile Freeze Frame. What bothers me the most about Trevor Noah is his anti white racism. He makes lots of subtle jabs and has an unearned sense of moral superiority. What I find the most annoying, is that HE is half white. This makes him stunningly hypocritical. I read up on him. His mother is black and his father is white. The father left when he was young, and Trevor clearly has issues over this, which he projects onto white people as a whole. He is hypocritical and a real jerk. I do not like him at all and his comedy is terrible.
The Worst Of All Time
18 April 2018
This is the worst stand up special I have ever seen. It got such bad reviews, I was curious enough to watch it. It is really bad. I don't like Amy Schumer at all. She is ugly, gross, obnoxious, not funny and a complete SJW. When people make fun of her, you think they must be exaggerating. But, that really is what she is like. She actually does just talk about her vagina and all the gross sex she has. I resent this level of degeneracy. I don't like to feel uptight, but this is disgusting. Women cannot do sex comedy. It never works. It is like seeing a girl on the toilet. We don't want to see women do that. You can see that Schumer struggles with this conflict. She tries to say these disgusting things, because she thinks it is funny, but, she also clearly wants to be considered sexy. You can't have both, they contradict each other. I don't like this 'comedy' at all, and it bothers me that it has become so mainstream, and seems to have such support from the establishment. Don't waste your time on this. The people responsible should hang their heads in shame.
Bachelorette (2012)
Female Hangover Sort Of Thing
17 April 2018
I think they were trying to make a female version of the hangover. It is not terrible, but I didn't really like it. The main characters are not nice people and they don't really learn from their mistakes. The crude sex jokes by semi attractive women formula has never really been for me. It is not that funny or interesting, but it is okay for light entertainment.
A Good Puzzle Film
22 March 2018
I don't watch many foreign films, but I really enjoyed this one. The premise is great. Puzzle films are a bit of a niche, but for those of us who love them, there is nothing better than a good one. The writing, acting and production are all great. My only criticism is that at times your attention has to be split between the puzzles and the rest of the story. If there had been a timer for the puzzles and then maybe a 2 minute rest period when a puzzle had been solved, the plot and character development could have gone there. Having to split focus probably lessened the impact of both the puzzles and larger story. If they had found a way to alternate (like I suggested) I think it would have been more effective. Also, at the very end a character throws away something very valuable, for no real reason. This bothered me. Other than that, Fermat's Room is a great puzzle movie.
Drugs are bad m'kay
19 March 2018
This film sucks. It is so overrated that it is not even funny. I am just sick of seeing so many 9/10 & 10/10 reviews for this crap film. It is all style over substance. At times it has decent visuals, a good soundtrack and okay acting, but the story is terribly mediocre. What I am about to say should not qualify as a spoiler, because I am keeping it so vague. The moral of the story really is just 'heroin is bad'... Are you kidding me? everyone knows that, especially heroine users. This film may use graphic nudity and violence to make that point, but there really isn't any more to it than that. Drugs are bad m'kay, and they can destroy your life. Everyone knows that, there is nothing clever, deep or profound about this trash. I think I might hate this film's fans even more than the actual film. They all think they are so bloody clever and anyone who doesn't like it, must just not have the patience or sophistication required to absorb such a modern masterpiece blah blah blah Bull S***!!! This film is completely overrated, don't waste your time.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hard Candy (2005)
Bollocks
18 March 2018
The film is very well made and the premise is quite good, but I do have a lot of criticism. I will only mention what is in the trailer and back of the dvd

First I will discuss the acting. There are only really two characters. Patrick Wilson's performance is brilliant. He has great emotional range and is very convincing in any situation. Ellen Page is also great, but she is not as strong. However, considering that this was one of her first films, it is still an impressive performance.

Now for my criticism. My main issues are with the plot. As I said before, the premise has potential, but I really did not like what they did with it. Of course the pedophile photographer is a terrible person, and he needs to be stopped. That being said, I don't think a tiny 14 year old girl, who is also a wanna be vigilante, is the one to do it.

Her character could have just reported him to the police as soon as she became aware of him. I know that would have been a very boring film, but I am making a larger point. Instead of doing it, she goes far out of her way to lure him in, and then turns out to be a crazy sadist. We could argue all day about which character is worse, but the fact that it is even a discussion is a problem. For a film like this to work, the hero needs to be a better person than the villain. So you can root for them to win. Instead with this, there are just two terrible people and it is hard to like either of them. In fact, there are times when I actually felt bad for the pedophile, and I resent the film makers for that.

There will be some of the girl power gang who think this is great because there is a young woman inflicting violence instead of a man. I think these people have missed the point. You can either, get revenge by fighting fire with fire, and in doing so, forfeit the moral high ground, OR you can refuse to sink to the villains level and by doings so, keep moral superiority. Her character (and this whole film) tries to do both, but her character quickly crossed the line and I was unable to root for her after that, and her smug moral judgements seem laughable given her own actions. So despite this films potential, I did not like it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Derren Brown Is An Evil Genius
11 March 2018
Derren Brown is incredible at what he does. I am a fan of pretty much anything he has done. This feature is very interesting and entertaining. My only real criticism is that there isn't much of Derren performing his own illusions. He obviously designed the experiment and keeps it on the right track. His job in this is mostly limited to presenting and narrating. You don't really get to see him perform very much. For this reason, I would not say it is his best release. However, the concept of the experiment is very interesting and it is executed very well. He basically figured out a way to do 'Weekend At Bernie's' in real life, which is hilarious. Not only that, he even named the character Bernie and made him wear sunglasses. None of the participants noticed which made it even funnier. This really is very entertaining. Derren is the best.
Life is Strange
11 March 2018
This film seems to have been a clear influence on an amazing video game called Life Is Strange. If you have played that you will know what to expect. The themes are at times a lot darker than I would have expected. There are lots of different sections and some work better than others, but, on the whole this is a great movie. It is a cool concept and emotionally it leaves quite an impact.
Triangle (2009)
Amazing
10 March 2018
This film is a one of a kind. Similar ideas have been tried before, but, they are rarely executed as successfully as they are in this film. I really can't say enough good things, this is an underrated classic. It looks great. The writing is very clever and the acting is spot on. It will hook you very quickly and hold your attention the entire way through.
Donkey Punch (2008)
Donkey Lunch
8 March 2018
Don't believe the bad reviews. It is kind of rubbish, but it is also kind of hilarious and very entertaining. If you do not already know, look up what a donkey punch is. The premise is so ridiculous I just could not get over it. It didn't stop me enjoying the film, but, I also couldn't take it too seriously. As long as you don't go into this expecting Citizen Kane you might just like it.
Cube (1997)
Hip To Be Square
7 March 2018
This is one of my favourite films. To get the flaws out of the way first. There are some B movie qualities to it. Like the acting is a sometimes bit cartoonish. Some of the editing and transition shots have dated poorly. There is also one character who is for the most part useless and does this annoying screeching thing. I wanted to step through my television and beat him to a bloody mess. Now for the positives. It is able to incorporate maths in a cool way. The premise is very strong. If you like science fiction and abstract puzzles, this film is a classic.
Louis does Woody
3 March 2018
It is a shame this film was not properly released. I mostly enjoyed it. Louis seemed to have a clear idea of what he wanted stylistically. The settings are elite parts of New York and one scene in Paris. It is all shot in black and white. The whole film seems like Louis C K is trying to make a Woody Allen film and it mostly works.

The cast is great and they all do a great job. Rose Byrne plays a charming love interest. Louis character gets bullied and harassed by pretty much every female character, but, the following three are the most domineering. His ex wife played by Helen Hunt is by far the most outright abusive. His business partner played by Edie Falco is always nagging him to do things. At times she is in the right, but, it doesn't make her any less annoying. His ex girlfriend is played by Pamela Adlon. This character is kind of obnoxious and not nearly as charming as she thinks she is. The actresses might all be nice people, but I found their characters very annoying. Louis' character is okay, at times I sympathised with him and at other times I wanted to shake some sense into him. He is okay at acting, but, his delivery is nowhere near as good as his stand up. I'm sure if he keeps working at it he will get better. Charlie Day really is a scene stealer. He has some of the best lines in the film and biggest laughs. I thought John Malkovich and Chloe Grace Mortez were the best. Their scenes together were my favourites. He has to be one of the most charming actors in the business and she is already one of the best actresses of her generation. They were able to take what could have been a very creepy dynamic and actually make it charming and believable.

My main issues are with the plot. There were a lot of times I wanted Louis' character to stand up for himself more. I also think the ending could have been better. The film was entertaining enough, but, it didn't really express any clear message.

For his first proper film, Louis did well. I don't know if he will ever be back after his scandal, but if he is given another chance, he has the potential to make some great films.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unsettling
3 March 2018
This film is very unsettling. The concept is a good fit for a thriller. There is something obviously morbid about morgues. There are some quite graphic scenes with damaged and disfigured corpses. This is not your fast paced action packed slasher film. This one is more of a slow build that gradually gets under your skin, until you are on the edge of your seat. The acting is very good. Overall, this is a great disturbing thriller.
Satanic (2016)
it's a hit with a capital S
3 March 2018
The concept could have been alright, but, this film is a total fail. The characters are at best bland and at worst dumb and annoying. The plot seems like it was written the night before because someone called in a favour. The characters make so many stupid decisions for no logical reason other than to advance the dull plot. Barely anything happens and the ending sucks. This one really is one of those films where you want the creators to refund you the 90 minutes of wasted life. Bad Bad Bad movie Awful Trash!
Misandry On Stage
3 March 2018
I have to at least give her credit for being honest about what she is. Malena Pichot is an angry opinionated feminist and she doesn't care who knows it. I think she is wrong about almost everything. That doesn't have to be a problem, I disagree with Bill Hicks a lot, and he is still one of my all time favourites. However, as hard as I try to be fair to her, this is just not funny. It comes off as more of a condescending political lecture than a stand up comedy show. I found her smug tone and unearned sense of moral superiority very annoying. Bleaching the front of your hair and putting on a pant suit does not make you better than the rest of us. The problem is political correctness kills comedy. You cannot be the school hall monitor and also the class clown. Stand up comics should be the outsiders tearing down the establishment, not a part of it. You can give this woman a spunky outfit, a trendy indie club, and let her tell a few 'raunchy' dick jokes, but, the fact is this is as safe as it gets.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Clinical (2017)
Disturbing
27 February 2018
There are some plot holes and the story could be a bit neater. They could have done a better job explaining some things. It could have been more concise. The acting is okay. Having a therapist with a mentally unstable patient is a good area for horror. Having a man with a heavily scarred face is also very unsettling. It is not that good, but, it is disturbing. I will not be rewatching it.
Coherence (2013)
Interesting
25 February 2018
A bit slow at the beginning, but, I ended up really liking this film. The characters are actually quite bland, but, the premise is so strong that doesn't really matter. Without spoilers it is basically about a group of people at a dinner party during comet. The comet triggers an intersection between parallel universes. If you like science fiction you will be hooked. It was a great film and really cool to think about. I also assume there will be a lot to discover in rewatching it.
Shimmer Lake (2017)
Falls Short
25 February 2018
The structure is somewhat novel. All the scenes are in reverse order. It was okay, but, I have no intention of watching it again. I have two main criticisms. It is not as clever as it thinks it is, and I didn't like any of the character, except maybe the lazy FBI agents. The reverse structure is actually quite tedious at the beginning. It takes quite a while to get into and it is definitely not funny enough to be considered a comedy. Overall, I respect that they tried something unusual, but, it did not manage to win me over. Skip it. P.S. I hate that Mexican woman.
Creep 2 (2017)
Creep 2 Loose In Manhatten
24 February 2018
I actually disagree with some of the other reviews. I liked this second film more than the first. The scares might be fewer and further between, but, they run a lot deeper. The two main characters compliment each other very well. There is also some great comedy moments in this and they were able to make it fit in with the rest of the film. If you liked the first, you will probably like this one too.
The Purge (I) (2013)
Mixed Bag
19 February 2018
The premise is really great for a horror movie. Society has one night a year where all crimes are legal. One family has to survive that night. The acting is pretty good. Ethan Hawke and Lena Heady both do a good job. I also think the main villain is very entertaining. My only real issue is that I found the main character's family really annoying. They are in a very dangerous situation and they contribute nothing constructive. I was getting annoyed for him. Now I think about it, the one upside to this purge concept is that on that night you could beat your wife and kids as much as you like. (: ))
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Black Mirror: Fifteen Million Merits (2011)
Season 1, Episode 2
All Style No Substance
7 February 2018
First of all, I will freely concede that the visuals of this episode look great. Overall I am still not impressed. I was told that this was supposed to be one of the best episodes. My main two objections are as follows. It moves way too slowly. There is lots of dull drawn out mundane and unnecessary parts. You could cut at least 15 - 20 mins and lose nothing significant. My larger objection is that the concepts and metaphors are not nearly as grand and intelligent as the critics seem to think. We are becoming slaves to technology... really? is that your high minded and profound social and political message? In some sense I do agree, but, this is not the cutting edge and brilliant art I was told to expect. I'm giving this show one more episode. If that does not impress me I am done. So far I think Black Mirror is completely overrated.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Black Mirror: The National Anthem (2011)
Season 1, Episode 1
Overrated
7 February 2018
I am giving this highly rated series a chance. This first episode was okay. I was entertained enough, but, it is nothing to write home about. It is also not as clever as it thinks it is. The internet has changed the world is hardly a radical new idea. There was also quite a lot of subtle political correctness which I didn't care for. The BBC is about as bad as it gets when it comes to that. So far I am interested enough in the show to give more episodes a chance, but, it has not yet won me over. Time for episode 2.

P.S. I had to include a spoiler alert so I could include my thoughts. I would not have had sex with the pig. If I were the prime minister, I would not let a random psychopath, other slimy politicians, those unelected sponges the royals or the disgusting public tell me what to do. As it turns out, I would have made the right decision, because the guy had released her 30 mins before anyway. So I wouldn't have had to f*** a pig. That whiny princess would be let go and the crazy terrorist would be the only one harmed because he cut off his own finger. I also hate the PM's wife. She is really angry at him even though he didn't do anything to cause the situation. I hated that reporter the most. Luckily she got shot. That made me very happy.
Big Mouth (2017– )
Gross
7 February 2018
Don't believe any of the hype, this show is terrible. It is not funny and it is completely disgusting. I have a high threshold for watching graphic sex and violence, but, this made me cringe. It is kind of like they have tried to make American Pie type raunchy sex comedy, but, the characters are about 5 years younger than they should be. There is also tons of SJW propaganda. I hate this and I never want to watch it again. For your own good avoid it like the plague.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dave Chappelle: Equanimity (2017 TV Special)
Funny
4 January 2018
I enjoyed this show a lot. I am a big fan of all of Dave Chappelle's comedy. He has to be one of the best stand up comedians in the world. The jokes are well written and well executed. Honestly this is not his best show, but, I would argue this is still better than anything 90% of all other stand ups shows. My only real criticism is when he gets political and talks about social justice. I do not have to agree with him about everything to find him funny, but, there were a few times where I wished he would move on and get back to the jokes. On the whole, it is really funny and if you are a fan you will probably enjoy it.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comedian (2002)
4 December 2017
This is a documentary which covers two stand up comedians; Jerry Seinfeld and Orny Adams. It shows just how difficult a job being a stand up comedian must be. You get to see some great comedians like Colin Quinn, Chris Rock, Bill Cosby and Garry Shandling. My only real criticism is that about 1/3 maybe even 1/2 of the documentary covers Orny Adams. I think they wanted to get a newer lesser known comic to contrast with the already well established Seinfeld. I think this was a mistake. I had no idea who Orny was. He really is not that funny and most importantly he is very unlikable. He is cocky, rude, insecure and already very angry and bitter. All of the stuff with Jerry and the other comics is great though. If you just fast forward all of the Orny parts it is a great documentary.