Reviews

Knives Out (2019)
A fun little mystery with a slick pay off
29 November 2019
Knives Out (2019) 8/10🗡🚪💉💸

"Rian Johnson successfully revives the "whodunnit" mystery subgenre with this perfectly cast fun time, even if it doesn't bring anything groundbreaking to the table."

Knives Out is the kind of "whodunnit" film that will never fail to entertain. As a progressive mystery, Knives Out is a very fashionable movie with it's grand ensemble of fresh and familiar faces. With some very snarky and slick writing, these characters are albeit memorable, most notably Daniel Craig's Detective Blanc and Chris Evan's Ransome, however, the film fails to make full use of the ensemble to the greatest extent. Of course that never takes away from what else Knives Out has to offer. The intensity of every moment that leaves you questioning the motive and action behind the titled crime scene is delivered with such glorious fashion, one could say Murder on the Orient Express had a beautiful baby, this being the result, showing Rian Johnson's strongholds. While the first two acts of the movie are quite strong and promising, the third act finds itself being a little rough around the edges but manages to find it's footing upon the conclusion; one for all and all for one.

Verdict: Knives Out not only proves to us that Rian Johnson is a strong director with the right material, but also displays a fashionable reiteration of what the mystery genre can do to keep us guessing what is left in store for us to see in all the right ways.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Parasite (2019)
Parasite teaches an important lesson
10 November 2019
Parasite (2019)

10/10 💸

"Such immense effort put into a film about the high and low class, Parasite is as surprising as it is a nail biter that keeps you guessing until the very end."

The struggle of money is a huge and impactful aspect of the everyday lives us human beings go through everyday. No matter the case, desperation is imminent and dire actions come into play. Parasite does away with telling a tale of class, greed and the values or family. Director Bong Joo-ho, who brought you The Host and Snowpiercer, creates a layered masterpiece that keeps you on edge every second due to the flawless writing and acting within acting (if you watch you'll understand) that keeps Parasite from ever falling under. Even the score and cinematography assist the film in being anxiety inducing. Although it is considered a crime/comedy, I found Parasite to be a scary type of film. Think about it, manipulation can occur at the hand of anyone that remotely tries it, no matter how witty and/or smart the victim is. The horrors of reality stand and it is never too safe to be alert of the occurrences that surround you. Getting to the ending, which I will discuss briefly without giving anything away, is the kind of ending that provokes nervous laughter at the hand of suddenness and sensibility. It's one of those endings that involve so much, but that much just happens to work so well in the film's favor. It's haunting, it's daunting and serves the purpose of leaving a mark.

Verdict: Parasite is one of a kind and is easily one of the best films of the year. There's nothing to not like about this and it'll sure stay with you after the first viewing.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Sleep (2019)
A beyond worthy sequel
10 November 2019
Doctor Sleep (2019) 9/10 👭🎩🌬

"Doctor Sleep never tries to outdo what Kubrick brought forth in The Shining, however does more than enough to stand it's ground as a worthy sequel with a trusted Mike Flanagan direction."

Fair skepticisms arose when a sequel (Doctor Sleep) to Kubrick's terrifying vision, The Shining, was announced. Stephen King wrote a follow up sequel to his novel, therefore the film adaptation was inevitable because Hollywood. At this point, the only question that stood was would Doctor Sleep be able to live up to the Kubrick level of expectations. As a die hard fan of The Shining, I have this to say: HELL YES IT DID! Man, oh man did Doctor Sleep blow it out of the water. It's easier to say that this movie does just as good as it's own film than just being reliant on Kubrick's movie. Doctor Sleep has a purposeful task on expanding the universe of the known superpower known as "Shine". We are presented with the fact that Danny Torrance isn't the only special one this time around as countless others are shown to have this "Shine". Unfortunately, to every pro there is a con; in this case The True Knot. The True Knot is quite the not so intimidating sounding group but don't let the name fool you as their intentions are beyond dire. They feed on this "Shine" using gruesome and torturous methods that no one could dare stomach. This almost sounds like a type of superhero movie with some horror content because well it kinda is, but don't let that discourage you! Mike Flanagan, the man who brought you Gerald's Game and Haunting of Hill House, knows what he's doing by blending horror into the mix of this situation by masterfully creating an atmosphere, with some of the best cinematography and that classic blue lighting, that could compare to Kubrick's movie. At his advantage, the musical score is a great sidekick once again to further add some anxiety build up for the audience to salivate at. Not only does the film work well with it's atmosphere but uses it's cast quite effectively. Ewan McGregor is an excellent adult Dan Torrance by portraying the paranoid and traumatized character that cannot rid himself of the past. Then there's the wonderful Rebecca Ferguson who portrays the villainous "Rose the Hat" as a ruthless character who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. What I also found fascinating about the cast was the recasting for the older characters instead of the previous actors from The Shining as they obviously could not recreate their roles nearly 40 years later (there is a cameo you'll spot quick if you know). They may not be the same faces and voices we are familiarized with however their efforts are noticed at the hand of delivery. All the old and new blends well together in this extravagant follow up and, forgive my inner fan girl, may just be not only my favorite horror movie of the year, but my favorite horror sequel of all time.

Verdict: Doctor Sleep does exactly what we all wanted it to do, and isn't what we feared it would be. As worthy sequels go, Mike Flanagan has gifted us with a true horror gem that you for sure will not hate, but either like or love forever and ever and ever.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joker (2019)
Masterpiece
7 October 2019
Joker (2019)

9.5/10🤡🎭💄

"Dark, violent and so full of truth, Joker takes a new approach on the backstory trope, creating a very grand accomplishment of a film that will go down as one of the greats of all time."

The societal factors that surround us are what shape the everyday lives of any man or woman that walks the ground of the earth. Joker just so happens to be glorius yet horrifyingly realistic depiticion of the various "what ifs" in our dysfunctional world. Granted, this film is a origin story of one of the most beloved antagonists in cinema and comic book history, however, the film also holds a very vital meaning in its delivery. With the help of a Joaquin Phoenix career defining performance, we are able to see the slow dip into insanity of the average man who'd be the least expected to morph into a monstrous villain by the hand of society, caused by neglection. Todd Phillips is a damn genius, and again proves to us that a comedic mind can also hold the most grim ideas. He most certainly proves this by delivering the fun additives, which would be the clever use of violence that is more artsy than controversial (people exaggerate so much it sickens me), a discomforting atmosphere that leaves you feeling the anxiety you never knew you could feel; like watching Taxi Driver times 5, and an ending that you never knew a third act could pull off so masterfully, it becomes more unforgettable than one could imagine. Joker has easily, and most effortlessly, claimed the throne of Movie of the Year.

Verdict: Joker is the masterpiece we all knew it would be. Even if the Clown Prince of Crime isn't your cup of tea, I suggest watching this movie anyways because it's not just a movie, it's a reality.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond worth the hype
Avengers: Endgame (2019) BROKE MY SCALE 20/10

"A finale so masterfully constructed, Avengers: Endgame proves to us that a finale WILL do whatever it takes to treat the fans with an emotionally moving, action-packed masterpiece."

I am just blown away by how well Endgame does for itself. My expectations were stacked, and the film somehow managed to surpass those expectations. Like Infinity War, Endgame manages to strategically balance the humor with the seriousness of specific aspects, you'll either be laughing or crying, or both at certain points. The action still stands out as a fair product of entertainment, going to the extremity of any situation, no matter how impossible it may have seemed; taking risky moves to get the film's point across the table. Lastly, the characters are so well written in this, sometimes its just hard to believe that our original heroes conclude their stories in this tearjerking finale; it really is hard to say goodbye sometimes when we've grown on these characters since day one. I can even say that Thanos' character is basically given the upgrade in sociopathic motive, making him somewhat unpredictable just like the predecessor. The film does have its minimalistic flaws (like any other film) but I felt that these flaws are completely ineffective towards the the whole idea of what points the film intends to display.

Verdict: Avengers: Endgame marks the end of an era that lasted 11 years. It concludes a story so fashionably well, its safe to say to bring the tissue and bring the applause, because there's no way in hell anyone was prepared for this epic finale.

One more thing, I'd like to thank everyone who was involved in the making of Endgame (especially the Russo Brothers), and anyone who contributed to the build up to this conclusion we've all waited for. And a final thank you to the man himself, Stan Lee, for showing us that the real heroes are the fans because WE made it happen. May he rest in peace, thank you for reading folks.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rocketman (I) (2019)
Egerton does for Elton what Malek did for Freddie, only better.
Rocketman (2019) 9.5/10

"Biopics have never gone as far out of this world as much as Rocketman does, never shying away from a story that is important to music history."

After Bohemian Rhapsody, one could never imagine another biopic that could top that gold star. Look no further, because we may have a, dare I say it, better biopic on our hands. Rocketman is a very new take on what this type of movie is known for, based on Elton John's story (whether you're a fan or not), going down the road of being a musical. At first, I was skeptical because the unexpected hit me and I didn't know how to feel about a "musical biopic", however the film managed to excite and surpass my skepticism. Elton John was a very colorful person (known weird during his time) and Rocketman somehow captures that magic by never holding back from some outrageous dance sequences and some very on point costume design. The story strategically blends a good amount of drama which can be emotionally unsettling at times due to the realistic depictions of daily life issues, all the while still being able to put a smile on your face. The story does well with giving a straightforward narrative, and tackles some important topics but never forced either. Lastly, Taron Egerton blew my mind! As the guy playing Eggsy from Kingsman, this role is the role he was born for just like Malek was born for Mercury. The delivery, the sass, the style, even his own vocals, everything is perfect about this performance, never trying to mimic Elton but rather portraying and interpretation of him. It's fun to watch, and exciting to know!

Verdict: Rocketman is a biopic for the books that brings new aspects to the genre, all the while giving you the unforgettable Egerton performance. You cannot miss this!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scream: The TV Series: The Deadfast Club (2019)
Season 3, Episode 1
Most reboots suck, but not this one
10 July 2019
I really enjoyed what seasons 1 and 2 had to offer, even if they weren't on par with what Craven brought to the table, especially when Ghostface wasn't the mask. Season 3, however, revives the series for the better. While there are some aspects that I do dislike, the sometimes choppy writing in particular, the overall feel is exactly the kind of reboot us Scream fans wanted. To top it off, this one actually brings back the real voice and Ghostface, along with some gnarly kills and a pretty solid story line. I'm pretty sure I've figured out who the killer is, but only way to find out is by watching; welcome to the final act.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Midsommar (I) (2019)
Hereditary shocked us, but Midsommar terrifies us.
9 July 2019
Midsommar (2019) 9.5/10⚔🤞⚰🏚 . . "Ari Aster has a beautiful mind, and proves it to us once again in this terrifying sophomore entry that literally leaves you at a loss for words." . .

Hereditary was a hands down ultimate horror hit, however upon seeing Midsommar, I feel that Hereditary has some competition. A lot have speculated that this may be a rehash of The Wicker Man, but that's where I draw the line. Midsommar is a huge slow burning nightmare that slowly evolves into a very real and genuinely terrifying experience that will only freeze you and force your eyes to stay still, pondering at the screen. Albeit, this movie was a bit more straightforward than Hereditary was, but don't let it distract you from the important Easter eggs and sneaky foreshadowing that Aster is known for. The simplest things such as the cinematography is a huge plus for those that may find this movie "boring" or "slow", I mean there's literally a shot of a rock that is just beautiful to look at. Another thing to love is the detail put into everything, ranging from the scenery, the clothing to the reactions and the, yes you read correctly, the gore! Also, Will Poulter is such a sweetheart of comic relief in the most unnerving of situations. . . .

Verdict: It's really difficult to compare Midsommar to Hereditary, being they are two completely different movies, however what comes as an easy choice is saying that Midsommar definitely knocks it out of the park at being one of the greats in horror cinema.
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Child's Play (2019)
A remake to die for
21 June 2019
Child's Play (2019) 8.5/10 🔪🚘👨‍🔧🎁

. "Child's Play is a short, but sweet (and gory) call back to 80s slasher movies, never trying too hard like it's original." . .

Everyone doubted the remake that made our favorite little slasher look different. But one should learn by now that looks aren't everything. Child's Play is a fun and entertaining horror movie that blends the elements of horror and a little bit of comedy very well together. The characters were likeable for the most part, even the most annoying ones because let's face it, they were "corrected" later on. The story is quite simple; the whole typical evil engineer fiddles with something he isn't supposed to and creates an evil incarnation. And as far as the new Chucky goes, it's excellent. The look is a very unsettling one however setting the bar for seemingly harmless yet so deadly, unbeknownst to the wrong doings it commits. Mark Hamill is a very good fit for the voice of Chucky who knows how to work an audience with his intimidating shifts in tone. I felt that the biggest stronghold here was the gore effect in the kills that racked up the count and is definitely a plus in my book. . .

Verdict: Child's Play is fun, it's violent, it's unnerving, it's pretty much everything you want in a horror remake!
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Speechless... (A Short and Simple Review)
27 April 2018
Never have I ever walked out of an MCU film so surprised and speechless! The studio really outdid it with this one! Infinity War lives up to the hype in the most amazing way possible to the point it even lives beyond the hype. With a mixture of such a great sense of humor, which seems to be a common thing now for the MCU to the darkest toned segments you'd think it's a DCEU film (Yes I just said that). The ending is just honestly the greatest yet sudden gut punch, that one would never even come close to thinking about coming from Marvel, but that's what makes the film so great! It knows that it is taking risks but that's what a good film does, therefore what is brought to the audience's attention is the fact that no one is safe!!! Go WATCH INFINITY WAR! NOW!!!!!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Quiet Place (2018)
Wow... (A short, simple review)
18 April 2018
Normally jump scare flicks don't do it for me because let's face it, they're not enjoyable... but this... this film did put a smile on my face!! Perfect tension is what made this film remarkable. While the ending could've been better, A Quiet Place is quite the nail biter!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't see why the hate is necessary...
9 April 2018
I've noticed that "die hard fans" are pissed about this movie, but why? TLJ was such a fun experience like every other Star Wars film in existence, including the prequels (although they were a little disappointing)! I too had my minor issues with it, but I've learned to accept them! Luke is gone, sadly enough, but at least he died doing what we all expected him to do, helping while using the force. The Casino scene was a little unnecessary but we'd have never met Del Toro's weird little character, so filler. Other than that I honestly think that TLJ is one of the better Star Wars installments, with tons of action packed sequences that the loving fans enjoy, a funky story that keeps us guessing, and still a mystery yet to be unraveled! And YODA!!!!!!!!!!!
4 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Shining (1980)
To this day, I still think this film is severely underrated...
26 March 2018
A Short Review

Stanley Kubrick was a visionary director way ahead of his time! His version of Stephen King's terrifying novel is creepy, unnerving and unforgettable! While he doesn't stick entirely to the source material (which is why King disliked this film with a passion), Kubrick manages to lure us into insanity with such ambiguous factors, that make the film even scarier the more you think about it! The Shining is the greatest horror film of all time in my book (no pun intended)! Go watch this if you haven't already, Horror lovers will not be disappointed!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.