Reviews

A True Visionary Masterpiece
31 July 2008
As is always to be expected with any sequel to a blockbuster, there was a high list of hopes any moviegoer upon entering 'The Dark Knight'. It does not disappoint.

The acting in this film is top –notch, everyone holds their own and not a single character is misappropriated, nor misplayed. Christian Bale holds the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman so perfectly one can even see the fragments of his own persona break through. There is the 'Billionaire Playboy', the 'Business Executive', the 'Truthful Friend', and finally 'the Dark Knight'…all incredible truth in the life he leads, the faces he puts on. It is (as it should be) hard to tell which face is the true Bruce Wayne…and Christian Bale creates that reality perfectly.

Michael Caine is not to be unnoticed. Not as prominently on screen as in 'Begins'…he still ads the sense of reality to Bruce's ego…the restraining and fatherly figure the film would fail without.

It is a true shame that Heath Ledger left us so soon, too soon… a widely unappreciated actor with a masterful performance in both 'Knight' and 2005's 'Brokeback Mountain'. He is…unrecognizable in 'Knight', portraying a character that is both terrifyingly chilling and hysterically funny at the same time. In fact, albeit the scene he is in without make-up, I am only able to tell once that it is indeed Heath Leger behind those scars and that face paint(perhaps due to the angle of the shot)

Not a single actor does falls from the category of a true performance, including the characters that played slightly lesser roles than in 'Begins' shine. Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, give powerful performances… even Cillian Murphy with a brief appearance. The only laugh I have to share has nothing to do with the film directly. All I can do is snicker when I think of Katie Holmes' choice to not reprise her role as Rachel Dawes due to her choice of 'parenting time'. When, in the same instance she was all too happy to play in this year's 'Mad Money'…which plummeted faster into oblivion… cast to a list film professors will label as 'Films to never emulate'.

All I can say is THANK YOU, CHRISTOPHER NOLAN. The amount of gushing realism that pours from this movie is enough to deem it… possible. And that is the EXACT intent of Nolan.

I have rarely seen a single movie for which I cannot find criticism. It is the time, effort, and determination put in by everyone that drives this movie. The best part (in my humble opinion) is how the film treats itself. Nolan's vision is very similar to my own, and many others. Good, evil, right, wrong…are all points of views based temporarily on social norms and constraints. Villains don't view what they do as wrong, they do what they feel is right. The characters who are the 'bad guys' are just as redeemable and likable as those who are 'good guys'…and this is based on your perception alone. There is not a line that is uttered from the Joker's mouth that isn't true…a most chilling fact that awakens 'the debate' within every one of us.

The Joker: "I took Gotham's white knight, and brought him down to our level. It wasn't hard. Y'see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little...push." 10/10
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Van Helsing (2004 Video Game)
For the Van Helsing Game-9 out of 10
25 October 2005
Although the movie is less than excellent, I believe that the game is ten times better. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants a fun game with excellent replay value. Plus, it is only about 16 dollars now that is a year old (Oct. 25, 2005)

"The Van Helsing Game is an entertaining fiend-fest with excellent actors and some new twists on old stories." -- Staci Layne Wilson, HORROR.COM

"Sommers is questionable-but the game is worth the full fifty." -- Bob Strauss, LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

Abousolute bottom line--People who did not like the movie found the game to be excellent.

5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.