Reviews

The Twilight Zone (2019– )
Irritable watching
20 April 2019
What may have worked as far back as 1959 does not work in 2019, even if the program is given a modern look. Having watched the first 3 episodes, with one other in the pipeline, it is time to say it is an irritable series to watch. Episode 2 was acceptable, showing some mystery and intrigue, but the others were annoying, uninteresting stories which looked spurious.

This series should have remained in the twilight zone.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Weirdo's only
11 April 2019
Never saw this movie in the past but even now I tried, but it's still junk and undecipherable, so once again I gave up.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor and Overlong
9 April 2019
This movie could have been an excellent historic movie to what had happened in South West Africa in the days of it being ruled by South Africa, since the end of the First World War in terms of a mandate from the League of Nations.

What you get instead, is a superficial production of the creation of SWAPO from about 1960 and how South Africa gave SWA its independence in 1990, when it became Namibia. No complexity of those days are properly covered, but some fighting scenes are shown. The film does correctly acknowledge the exclusion of the complexity of the situation in the end credits.

Namibia is now a proud democratic nation and a peaceful country, devoid of its previous conflicts.
The Missing (2014– )
Will try Again watching this Dribble
4 April 2019
Lot's of viewers liked this series and have given it good reviews. I only heard about it watching the later series called Baptiste and was intrigued to watch Missing too.

I tried and tried again, but could not keep awake watching it at night. I reached episode 4, but had to watch episode 3 and 4 again, not knowing what I had supposed to have seen already. I have given up for the time being.

As I acquired both seasons of missing, I am loath to waste the expense, so in time to come I will try again from the very beginning and perhaps I may change my present view.

If a miracle happens I will update this report.
Destroyer (2018)
What a waste
4 April 2019
If you want to watch Nicole Kidman in a really totally different movie, this is not the movie to choose. Sentimental to the core with flash backs galore and a bad Nicole. No, not her acting but in her own words she is a bad person.

A disappointing movie that drags along. Perhaps the viewer is meant to feel sorry for her circumstances, but alas the opposite is true. If you like Nicole Kidman rather give this movie a skip, it's that bad.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Baptiste (2019– )
Preposterous Miniseries
25 March 2019
Although reasonably entertaining, this Baptiste story is a ridiculous chase after money which is constantly being stolen and is far removed from anything that could happen in real life. The police are inapt and people get away with murder.

The complex plot goes much wider than this and some of it is actually happening in many countries. If you like a slow burner, this mystery may be more to your liking. It is below standard of what one usually expects from the BBC.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Travelers (1976 TV Movie)
Message from the future
14 March 2019
This review comes to you from the future. Having watched this movie in 2019, I hasten to let you know it's a charming movie and enjoyable to watch.

This message is mainly produced for those fans who watched this movie some 8 years ago and earlier. You might come across some other messages from my era as we are able to time travel without moving at all.

Signing off and going back to my time. Goodbye and good luck!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proven Innocent (2019– )
Devoid of reality
11 March 2019
This simplistic series is almost laughable, as it does not proof innocent with the evidence produced, and even if it succeeds, no compensation for wrongful imprisonment is claimed.

What we have is a mildly entertaining product for which no brainpower is required if you just go with the flow. Perhaps it is meant to take a niggle out of the legal system, but what it actually does is making an ass of the series itself.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only the Dead (2015)
Witness life as it is
11 March 2019
It's always difficult to rate a documentary like this one, because of the theme, death, deceit and terror. We cannot glamorize the facts as they are and it makes no sense trying to say it's good, average or excellent. It is what it is.

For the ordinary viewer, being able to detach him or herself from the horror and wishes to rate it for its information, perhaps a 5 is about right. For those having been in war situations and have witnessed it first-hand themselves, will refuse to watch or rate it, to block out their own memories.

War is bad, very bad and terrible acts do happen.
Aquaman (2018)
Atlantis rises to conquer the world
9 March 2019
At last a decent adventure/action movie, something which hasn't been seen for a long time. A film with an understandable plot, with minute by minute action and a great cast of well-known actors. Jason Momoa fits the bill well as Aquaman, a welcome new hero who gets clobbered most of the time, but keeps coming back for more.

You cannot go wrong spending a few hours with aquaman. DC Comics is the new Marvelous!
Kursk (2018)
Reflections of Past Behavior
8 March 2019
The Kursk tragedy occurred in 2000 and the Russians refused help from the West to save their face and pride. But as this film depicts, the greatest tragedy was that 117 lives were lost through stubbornness and holding on to old behavior a la the Cold War.

The film is based on this event in 2000 and how the families were affected and their reaction to the lies forthcoming from the Navy Brass. This part is true, although no one really knows the actual suffering of the men on board the Kursk. The drama seen on board is fictional, but a lot of it was derived from 2 letters written and subsequently recovered.

A well made film and worth a watch. (Pun intended!)
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Widow (2019– )
A Tale of Africa
3 March 2019
This story started off very well and can certainly be called a thriller, lots of intrigue and mystery. The scenery in the DRC is a true reflection of what the place really looks like, as well as the behavior of its notorious corrupted leaders, militia and elite citizens.

One can imagine truth in this story, but fortunately it is a fabricated tale and enjoyable to binge watch. Kate Beckinsale's performance was admirable, but the end plot less so.

Life in the DRC is not pleasant but many happenings seen in this series is based on fact.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lorena (2019– )
Knowing is knowlege
27 February 2019
This comprehensive documentary throws a lot of light on the circumstances of this infamous event. Yes, most people knew what had happened and I like many others in those days, gave it a superficial overview and made up our minds who was guilty. Full stop.

Now many years later and really beginning to understand the many facets of this complex story, I have come to a different conclusion. John Wayne Bobbitt was no angel, but an abuser and liar, yet also a victim, but not because of Lorena's action. He had also been abused in childhood. Lorena committed a crime, but under the circumstances, perhaps not in control of her own free will.

I am glad to have watched this show, with actual video recordings of the trials. A real eye opener, giving food for thought. There were no winners, only losers. We have all done annoying things in our youth, but with age you may become wiser.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Good Fight (2017– )
Gone downhill
25 February 2019
Whilst this series started off well, season 2 became a disaster in the last few episodes. This absurd ending does not bode well for a continuation.
The Passage (2019– )
Initially looked good
9 February 2019
Expected an interesting tale, but after 4 episodes it's just another vampire fail. Episode 1 turned out to be the best, but went downwards for the rest. I'm not a vampire fan, so getting out while I still can.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Roswell, New Mexico (2019– )
Enough is enough
9 February 2019
Eventually watched 4 episodes but enough is enough. It's nothing but a despicable load of rubbish, some scenes of which make me sick.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird movie based on nonsense scientific fact
4 February 2019
This movie looked appealing, but it is merely a horror story, some sort of drama, no thriller, no sci-fi, but the biggest load of absolute nonsense. The last 15 minutes gave some pleasure before it turned to dung, not ending in any fun.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Expected more
2 February 2019
Gigantic rolling machines could make an interesting story, but needs to be focused. It's a very busy movie, with people running all over the place, keeping the city moving. It grabs your attention initially, but wanes and let's your mind wander off.

Let's call it an average spectacular movie of sorts, with action scenes seen in Star War films with similar results. Mildly entertaining but viewers expected more.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Private War (2018)
Disturbing account of mayhem
26 January 2019
Ordinary mere mortals cannot comprehend the suffering of civilians in war situations. But Marie Colvin was not an ordinary person. As a war correspondent she had witnessed so much already, that she herself became a victim too. She was driven by an inner force wanting to expose atrocities committed, hence she fought her own private war in getting to those places.

The terrible attack on Homs in 2012 witnessed by Marie Colvin was not the end of Homs. Among the ruins, people somehow continued to survive in horrific circumstances. In 2015 the end came with renewed attacks by Assad's forces with the help of Russian bombing. The Free Syrian army and their allies were driven out, but the war continues. The Free World merely looks on but no real action has ever been taken by the UN or other interested parties. There is no easy answer to this very complicated conflict but this sphere of unrest is spreading. Ordinary folk continue to suffer dearly.

Marie's story in this film is not an easy watch, but is worthwhile if you want to know the conflict areas she reported on. You will have to endure Marie's continuous smoking and other quirks that made her what she became.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Replicas (2018)
Quite Alright
26 January 2019
A nice sci-fi movie, better than what most respondents think about it. The beginning and end was well paced but the middle was a bit drawn out. Overall an enjoyable and entertaining movie with a bit of spice and suspense built in, thus qualifying as a thriller as well.
Air Disasters (2011– )
Goes under different titles Worldwide
22 January 2019
To put anyone at ease this series has been around since 2003 and is also known as Mayday or Mayday Air Crash Investigations or Air Crash Investigation and Air Emergency, besides Air Disasters.

The episodes are all the same but are not broadcast in the same order. Full details of all episodes broadcast are listed under Air Emergency (2003). For example series 11 of Air Disasters is listed as season 17 under Air Emergency. Air Emergency is currently in its 19th season!

This information can also be obtained in Wikipedia under Mayday (Canadian TV series).
Close (I) (2019)
Not bad at all
20 January 2019
In fact this movie is enjoyable with suspense, action and kick-ass Noomi Rapace to round it all off. The story starts off well but weakens at the end. Nevertheless it provides a well earned hour and a half of pleasant entertainment.

It deserves a rating of 7, more then the average rating of most respondents to date. Just sit back to enjoy and don't be critical about the flaws along the way!
46 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real style copiest
20 January 2019
Seeing the film I concluded that Van Meegeren used the painting style and signature of Vermeer which received recognition as Vermeer paintings. Had he painted them under his own name, he would never have become famous.

I am no expert but isn't it strange that when a famous name paints a picture, every art critic or expert will say how good it is, but had an unknown person painted it, no one will except it as good initially until he is dead (not to step out of line). This means that art critics and experts don't know what constitutes good art and are no better than the average man. An average man will adore a painting as good art in the eyes of the beholder.

I had never heard of this painter and watched the show for this purpose. The film was more an art movie than a drama, not to my liking, style and type of movie for enjoyment. In my eyes Van Meegeren was an excellent painter, if experts accepted the paintings as Vermeer's!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hunter Killer (2018)
Enjoyable but not enthralling
16 January 2019
Considering that previous action movies with Gerard Butler in the lead were "London has Fallen" and "Olympus has Fallen", Hunter Killer is not in the same category. The role of Butler was too subdued and no real tension was created in a story made for gripping anxiety.

This is partly due to Butler not playing Mike Banning but Captain Joe Glass, a different character. Film editing was also not in the same class. But fear not Mike Banning will be back in "Angel has Fallen", another action-packed film soon.

Understanding the above, one becomes sympathetic for Butler's performance in this still enjoyable movie.

Update: I was able to see this film again from another source and the audio mix was much better and speech could be heard properly. This improvement gave further insight into the film which in fact qualifies for a rating of 7.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NO female ratings?!
16 January 2019
Came across this series but did not watch any. Checking what viewers said about this product, I noted that no females of any age had contributed to the ratings!

Ladies, I thought that females are more liberated in this day and age and any input would be appreciated. After all prostitutes or escorts are not only for men!

The words used in the description should certainly have been less degrading and the program should have named them correctly as sex workers, which in a number of countries is recognized and protected like any other workers. This trade exists everywhere, so discussion should be openly.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.