Reviews

Hostiles (2017)
As ambivalent as real life
28 February 2020
Beautifully shot, well acted, laconic and slow. This is a film about people struggling with no idea of their final destination. If the west was ever accurately depicted in a film this was probably it. If you enjoy effortless acting and are prepared to invest the time then this is for you.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Little Women (2019)
A great, enjoyable film
11 January 2020
I have not read the book and that might make a difference. My read the book and it didn't spoil the film for her. We both loved it. The acting is fine, although Emma Watson doesn't give it much. I understand the timeline is a bit fractured but there's a point to that and it's not complicated. Great film, beautifully shot, great acting. One out of ten reviews make no sense.
38 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Capernaum (2018)
Well made, thought provoking, hard
4 January 2020
The movie is beautifully shot and very well acted, the minimal cast stand out against the grimy setting and the injustice of their terrible circumstances. Zain and Yosef play their parts perfectly. If you think you have daily problems, and many of us do, take a look at what these children have to face.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Witcher (2019– )
A Good Start which Could Develop
29 December 2019
I had to persevere with episodes 1 to 3 but then the characters became more engaging. Well shot. Somewhat chaotic timelines. Ultimately this is a good start. If they make more it could be well worth following.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of Cheese, no Crackers
24 December 2019
Driver was good the rest was a desperate, unoriginal rehash. There is no plot. It's like watching kids in a playground playing at Star Wars. A disgraceful shambles. BTW the Lawrence of Arabia "homage" was laughable.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Confession (2019– )
Much better than these reviews suggest
23 September 2019
I agree that the idiot who came up with shaky camera work should be drummed out of film and I thought it had gone the way of the dodo but the negative reviews here are overdoing it.

There is some very good, understated, acting here. I also suspect some of the styling is intended to reflect the era.

It's also a long time since I've seen a film with the trailer "This is a true story" as opposed to the fatuous "Based on true events". I recall the story and this appears fairly accurate.

I agree, it's not as well made as it could be, but it's a lot better than some of the reviews here make out.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.