The Irishman (2019)
Good Movie
16 November 2019
Finally after almost 25 years Marty and De Niro have come together again. This is a dream cast I never thought I'd see together - Keitel, Pacino, Pesci, De Niro, the guy from Everybody Loves Raymond. I mean Jesus Christ...Its a long one but its worth your patience. A reflective film about old dudes from old dudes.
Parasite (2019)
PARASITE
9 November 2019
This was a throughly engrossing film. Certainly something all movie lovers should seek out and see. Funny, Nuanced, Suspenseful, and poignant. It really has something to say and the performances are all just great. This is why we go to the movies
Lethal Weapon (1987)
They Don't Make em like this anymore
9 November 2019
The Original Lethal Weapon is just the perfect movie. You have an old pro behind the camera, Dick Donner (in his first off 6 collaborations with Mel Gibson). You have one of the more larger than life personalities in Hollywood and action movie connoisseur Joel Silver producing, and the brilliant and raw screenwriting debut by a young Shane Black. Mel Gibson was born to play the character of Martin Riggs. It's some of his best acting, so natural and real. Danny Glover as the more conservative Murtaugh is a great counter balance to the nervous energy of Riggs....This movie balances comedy, action, and drama so well. The action is exciting and well staged. The drama is real and deep. The comedy is so natural and flows so easily from the electric chemistry between Gibson and Glover. The script by Black is top notch stuff. It's a film that works on so many levels and that really takes you on a wild ride. I've come back to it so many times. The second one comes close and in some areas even supersedes this one. But as a whole you still can't beat the sheer magnetic power of the original.
Last Christmas
9 November 2019
I Saw this yesterday on a whim because I had the day off and a Christmas movie with Emilia Clarke dressed as an elf on a Friday afternoon just seemed kind of nice. This is the first Paul Feig film I have seen. I had been interested in "A Simple Favor" but never got around to watching it, but this was to my surprise not too bad. It's a perfectly decent little Christmas movie, anchored by a wonderfully charismatic performance from Emilia Clarke. The biggest flaw is the plot twist, which you will see coming a mile away. It's just painfully obvious. Also it's really not a romantic comedy per say, it's a comedy-drama, but fairly light on sex or romance, so adjust your expectations accordingly. If you're bored and want to get into the Christmas spirit, go see it. It kept my interest and didn't overstay its welcome
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Sleep (2019)
A Worthy Continuation
31 October 2019
Just got out of an early screening of "Doctor Sleep". I'll keep it short. This was a really solid movie, that finds an interesting way to continue the story and mythology of "The Shining" while still having its own identity. Rebecca Ferguson is absolutely wonderful as the villainess. This is her best performance since Mission: Impossible. Ewan McGregor isn't as off the wall, charismatic, or memorable as Jack Nicholson, but then again, this is a different character. He does a fine job. The girl was really good...its a slow burn but it pays off in the end. Poop
47 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LAST BLOOD...Until he gets a blood transfusion and comes back in another 11 years...
21 September 2019
OK so this movie it TAKEN. like literally. Its TAKEN set on the border. Maybe with a dash of HOME ALONE or the third act of SKYFALL. Either way this is Rambo: Last Blood. Stallone is back as Himself...or Rocky..... or John Rambo. It doesn't really matter anymore, they all seem like the same person at this point. This one feels the least like a Rambo movie, in that it doesn't take place in the heart of a war, or somewhere overseas. Even the first was like a mini war out in boonies of Washington. The conflict in this one is more close to home, more personal. In Last Blood, we find Johnny leading a life of peace in Arizona. But he is soon lured back into action when a girl close to him is kidnapped by the Cartel. Rambo goes commando to go and get her back. Then he kicks ass and blows up...Its A solid enough movie. I didn't find that it quite reached the levels of wonderful over-the-top brutality of the last one, which was all I was hoping for in this movie. But the action is still pretty good. I think the overall film holds up a little better than the last one , the narrative, the filmmaking. I don't know. There really hasn't been a good Rambo movie since 3 in my opinion. At least the last one seemed more like a Rambo film and not a Sylvester Stallone Taken Style action movie with Rambo shoehorned into it...if you like Stallone and the Rambo films, see it. Otherwise its nothing special.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Fanatic (2019)
Fanatic
7 September 2019
Fred Durst and John Travolta. Never thought I'd hear those names together, certainly not as co-producers of a film! But I enjoyed the movie. It's a quick 90 minute thriller, although it sometimes borders on comedy because of its absurdity and ridiculousness. I thoroughly loved John Travolta's ridiculous performance as this super fan, autistic dude. The ending is delicious fun...Worth renting if you like so-bad-its-good movies or you're a fan of Latter Day John Travolta, Nicholas Cage.
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOTTA FUN
3 August 2019
Probably My favorite fast and furious movie that I've seen, although that's not really saying much...A lot of action packed into this movie as well as a lot of humor and fun. Great to see Jason Statham step up and deliver the goods in an A-Movie for a change...The Rock does his thing and he's great too..also I loved Vanessa Kirby in Mission: Impossible so it was great to see her doing even more in this...a little too long in the middle but otherwise pretty solid summer entertainment
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
27 July 2019
I loved it. It's not particularly plot driven, it's more concerned with characters and little moments, which I found to be very refreshing and engaging. This would have to be Tarantino's ultimate hang out movie...

"There are certain movies that you hang out with the characters so much that they actually become your friends. And that's a really rare quality to have in a film...and those movies are usually quite long, because it actually takes that long of a time to get past a movie character where you actually feel that you know the person and you like them...when it's over, they're your friends." - Quentin Tarantino
31 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ANOTHER CLASSIC
26 July 2019
This is a "hang out movie" through and through. Meaning It's not particularly plot driven... its laid back, chill, and all about hanging with these characters. Think "Rio Bravo", "El Dorado", or Tarantino's own "Jackie Brown". It's all about the little moments. So if you're into that you may dig this. For me, I found it very refreshing...The movie is about a washed up TV western actor played by Leo DiCaprio and his stuntman played by Brad Pitt. Its 1969 in Hollywood, California. Let the adventures begin...Both Leo and Brad have strong chemistry and give excellent performances in this. Leo is funnier than he has ever been, and Brad gives one of his best performances I've seen from him. Its an engrossing 160 minutes full of heart, humor, and unexpected twists. Thoroughly enjoyable and a world I want to revisit again to hang out in.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Toy Story 4 (2019)
Toy Story - The Continuing Adventures
23 June 2019
SOME MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

"My overall feeling for this film having just walked out of it was a bit of disappointment. And its actually a solid movie. However solid is not good enough for a franchise like Toy Story. Now I am of the perhaps minority opinion that the first two Toy Story films were the best ones, exercises in near perfect storytelling. I liked the third one. Everyone talks about the ending with Andy or the scene where the toys almost get incinerated. But to me the rest of the film was mainly serviceable. Ken was great. But overall I feel it didn't quite live up to the very high standard of the original two.

Toy Story 4 feels more in the vein of 3 as well. So if you're one of the many people that absolutely love TS3 you will probably love this one.

Its weird because TS3 felt like a fitting send off to all of these characters, so to see them back again is strange. It feels more like a sort of toy story dlc if you will, or the "continuing adventures of" if you will then a full on true sequel.

Here are the pros of the film... as a whole its an entertaining 90 minutes filled with humor and good storytelling, and what's more you get to revisit these wonderful characters again. I liked the idea of bringing back Bo Peep and addressing her absence in the last film. The new characters are the best part of the movie, Forky, Duke Kaboom, and the Key and Peele duo...

Now for the cons... I found it to be very emotionally manipulative and exploitive, much like Toy Story 3. Every other scene is trying to make you cry, it just kind of wallows in sappy emotions. The first two had great emotional scenes without seeming manipulative or manufactured in any way. I don't know it just felt laid on a little too thick for me... also Woody is so clingy in this one to the point of annoyance. He's not as heroic or dashing as he has been in the past, more whiney and honestly kind of a pushover.

Also Buzz Lightyear. The once great character has been, for the second film in a row, relegated to merely a supporting player. He has a sort of arc, more of a running gag really, about him learning to listen to his "inner voice". But its not enough. Its honestly a tragedy to see this iconic character being given so little to work with, static, no longer evolving or being as active in the stories.

Bo Peep was cool and it was great to see her again... BUT at the same time it really takes some suspending of disbelief to accept such a significant transformation of the character we know from the first two films. She was never really a go-getter take action type in the others. Of course I can see see how she might have evolved having been on her own for so many years, and I do realize she was more of a side character before and they had to flesh her out... still I couldn't help but feel she was a different person to the point of even betraying who she has been established to be.... its really more of a gripe than a true negative.

The Gabby Doll voiced by Christina Hendricks literally forces Woody to give up his voice box and we're supposed to turn around and feel sorry for her. I mean that was pretty clunky handled I think.

A lot of the original toys are back and yet they are simply just... there. You see their faces but they contribute almost nothing. Why even include them in the film? I just see the first two films as having more depth and nuance with these characters. They were firing on all cylinders creatively. And now, to a degree, Toy Story has been reduced to nostalgia and trying to milk all of those tear jerker moments.

But I have to say, I enjoyed a change of scenery. The highways, an antique store, a carnival... and I did enjoy the Woody and Bo Peep stuff overall, it was really the soul of this movie. I was so glad to see them together again..."

TOY STORY 4 is a decent movie, I liked it. Its just not quite on par with the originals.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Phoenix (2019)
An odd and disappointing send off to the Fox era XMEN films
12 June 2019
It started out okay but really started to lose me after about twenty minutes. Jen Lawrence is a great actress but she's been awful in XMen for the most part, and she's worse than ever here. The movie is boring and too familiar and then you have characters that behave out of character (beast and Xavier). It felt like a smaller more contained story, which I was all for, but if you're doing the Phoenix storyline it probably justifies something more epic in scope. Jessica Chastain was not very interesting and felt almost tacked on. Also the timeline for these movies is beyond confusing at this point, and this movie makes no effort to honor the established continuity. Furthermore how is it that everyone looks the exact same 30 years after first class? 8 years from this movie Michael Fassbender is supposed to look like Ian McKellan..so lazy they made no effort to age the actors. and this didn't feel at all like it took place in the early 90's, with first class and dofp you got a sense of the time they were in, with apocalypse and especially this one not so much....very mediocre film.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin (I) (2019)
ALADDIN 2019
27 May 2019
Minor "spoilers" possibly...

This is a tough one. On the one hand, it's yet another substandard, artificial, committee funded, market researched, and socially progressive remake...and one that gets lost in translation from animation to live action. And yet I'd be remiss to say that I didn't enjoy this movie. It wasn't good, but there were things to like, and the final feeling was an overall good one...The problem is is that certain things that worked perfectly for the animated classic don't really belong in the live action version, at least this movie made no effort to justify their being carried over (I'm looking at you Iago). The lad who plays Aladdin was likable and but somehow I feel he wasn't the best choice. He's certainly not a singer and his performance was awkward at times, particularly when he tries to be funny. He lacks that rugged scrapper quality you would expect out of Aladdin (especially Guy Ritchie street Aladdin)... Naomi Scott did a good job, she looks great and can really sing too. Although they try to give her character more of an arc this time, it ultimately doesn't work. Her arc literally interrupts the momentum of the third act just so she can have a very forced musical number that's trying to be the next "Let it go".... The guy who plays Jafar wasn't terribly charismatic and his take of the villain pales in comparison to animated Jafar... Will Smith was easily the best part of the movie. To his credit, he doesn't try to do a Robin Williams impersonation, he makes the Genie his own...Still certain moments were fun (i.e. Aladdin dancing at the party, anything with the genie, some of the musical numbers....some of that was really awkward though yikes)....The film certainly feels like a Disney product. Everyone is dressed impeccably, even Aladdin who's supposed to be a hobo and a street rat...the city of Agrabah never transcends feeling like a set...there is a lot of CGI and some of it is jarring when blended with the live action elements...it lacks the down and dirty grit you'd expect from Guy Ritchie...It feels more manufactured and manipulative than real, in the moment and natural. Unfortunately, its more often jarring, awkward, and disappointing in comparison....Yet Overall It's fun and enjoyable. It gives you the feels, it makes you laugh. It entertains you and takes you away for two hours... Its just In the end you can't help but wonder - what was the point of this? to remind us to go watch the original? which is so obviously superior in almost every way...
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN
12 May 2019
Was very interested to see this having heard Mel Gibson bought the rights to the book on which it is based back in 1998 and had been developing it as a passion project ever since. I become even more fascinated by it having heard of all the production troubles that happened, with Mel and Director Farhad Safina suing Voltage Pictures and basically disowning the finished (or unfinished) film....But I was willing to give it a try. I thought it was an excellent film - thoroughly involving, well acted by everyone, crisp intelligent dialogue, beautifully shot, and by the end it moves you and leaves you thinking. The movie concerns the ambitious undertaking of compiling the Oxford English dictionary. Gibson plays the professor and Penn the madman, and the film examines their unusual friendship that proves to be a very fruitful partnership as well...There were some events that happen over the course of the movie that I found to be...unbelievable. Whether or not they actually happened I am not sure, but it certainly didn't ruin the movie either. I felt maybe they could have developed Penn and Gibson's relationship a bit more as well...But overall this was a solid movie. Good to see Mel Gibson can still act!
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GHOST PROTOCOL
22 March 2019
This seems to be the general favorite among a lot of people I talk to. Its got a great sense of pacing and rhythm, it just flies by fluidly and with great style. The set pieces are gripping and imaginative. Ghost Protocol really established the template of what Mission Impossible is. Not just a Tom Cruise vehicle, but a globe-trotting, exotic, action spy adventure that really emphasizes the team effort as a whole. Brad Bird brings his trademark colorful energy and retro style to the table, Giacchino delivers a big exotic and fun musical score to match, and Tom Cruise proves to the world that he isn't going away anytime soon in what was at the time the biggest box office hit of his career.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Game of Thrones (2011–2019)
game of thrones
18 March 2019
Absolutely amazing show, one of the best, if not the best of all time. grand epic scope and very involving story with fascinating characters. also, A lot of very sexy women show their boobs. and dragons.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MI3
17 March 2019
One thing I will say about this one, it's probably the most intense and intimate Mission Film. You really begin to get a sense of who Ethan Hunt is and become invested in him as a character. JJ Abrams brings that emphasis on story and emotional investment to the table in this one. And like all of his films, it's got a nice visual flair, its energetic, entertaining, and a lot of fun. Even the way its shot, with all the close ups, it just feels more personal and intimate...in MI3 Ethan Hunt, engaged and retired from field work, is brought back onto the field to rescue a former protege of his and soon becomes embroiled in a personal conflict with an arms dealer played brilliantly by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Arguably the best villain of the series...Michelle Monaghan is a natural talent, pretty and showing vulnerability, and I fully bought her relationship with Ethan. Aaron Paul pops up as Ethan's brother in law, I was just left wanting more of his comedic relief after the few scenes he is in... Benji appears for the first time in the series, a little fatter and before his days as a field agent and Ethan's close friend...it's a solid movie. It is the first glimmer of what was to come with Ghost Protocol and beyond. But the seed of that idea began here, it just hadn't been fully formed. The filmmakers are slowly putting the pieces in place to get back to what Mission Impossible is supposed to be. The team effort is emphasized more, the musical motifs from the original series are revived, and Ethan Hunt as a character is clearly defined. I love the ending. Its not like the last two, its not any big stunt or action sequence, its action packed for sure, and very tense, but its all driven by character....Might be my least favorite overall, it doesn't stand out in the way some of the others do, its perfectly serviceable, and well executed, but it is fairly conventional with its script...But still good!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JOHN WOO TRIES TO MAKE A HITCHCOCK MOVIE FOR SOME REASON BUT ITS STILL A LOT OF FUN
17 March 2019
I Actually love this movie. Part of that is nostalgia and because I grew up with it but I also just unashamedly love it and the style of it. You will never see another Mission Impossible like this. With Limp Bizkit doing the theme song, this version of Ethan hunt, this dramatic, this style of action...True it Is the least like a classic mission impossible but it does feature an impossible mission and Tom Cruise is in it so that's good enough for me....and it's a hell of an entertaining and stylish spy action film....I never really looked at this as lacking action, I always thought of it as the most action packed, but the more I look at it it really doesn't start unleashing full on action scenes until the third act...and boy does it deliver. But the rest of the film is so stylish and fun that I don't care...Whereas in Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation, it kicks off with action, peaks in the middle, and slightly loses momentum coming into the third act...or in Mission 1 where it isn't even really a full on action film per say, and has only a few distinct set pieces amidst a lot of suspense and mystery...MI2 kicks off with a big bang, and then becomes a NOTORIOUS style love story and has some heist and mission impossibly stuff going on through out, but it really bottles up all the big action and stunts, saving it for the end, and then just unleashes it it all for the last 30 minutes or so....and its a great payoff. Best third act (Fallout comes close) of any Mission film and right up there with The Matrix as one of the best third acts of any action movie. Ethan Hunt jumping from that building, blatantly ripping off Last of the Mohicans (not to mention GoldenEye earlier in the film) and then building eventually into The motorcycle chase and the martial arts battle on the beach....John Woo is the Hitchcock of action films. He directs action with ease and grace and elevates it to an almost poetry. His style really elevates the material. The slow mo, the doves.... Its so great...Tom Cruise adapts perfectly to this style of action with his long hair and convincing stunt work with the guns, motorcycles, and kung fu stuff...its a movie of its time that people like to hate on. And they all raise good points. But for the style they're going for, I think this movie more than succeeds. Its entertaining and fun and cool.
DE PALMA MAKES HIS MARK
17 March 2019
I love the original Mission. It's got the feel of a real film, not just a popcorn movie, which was somewhat lost in the sequels. It's selling point wasn't another big stunt. Although there are two or three wonderful set pieces throughout. The plot engages your intellect and requires something of the viewer. And its a pretty concise film too, not overstaying its welcome with a ridiculously overblown running time like many summer films these days. Brian De Palma's stylish direction elevates the material and his use of camera angles is brilliant as always. Tom Cruise delivers an earnest and charismatic performance. The rest of the cast is great as well, Kirstin Scott Thomas, Emilio Estevez, Jon Voight...Danny Elfman's score was great, especially that bass slapping! in the mission theme and his use of that theme in the climactic action scene...overall its a tense and suspenseful spy thriller full of twists and turns, maybe a but convoluted, but most spy films are I suppose.
ROGUE NATION
17 March 2019
The best thing about this movie is Rebecca Ferguson who plays Illsa Faust. She can hold her own in a scene with Tom Cruise and is incredibly beautiful, graceful, mysterious, and charismatic. Regular Cruise Collaborator Chris McQuarrie steps up to the plate to direct this one. He'd go on to helm the sequel FALLOUT. Before this he had written and produced Valkyrie, written Live Die Repeat and Ghost Protocol, and both written and directed Jack Reacher. He is closest in style to either Brad Bird or Brian De Palma. Bird in the way he continues with the same overall style and template that Bird had introduced, and like De Palma in that he is more of a classic kind of a filmmaker similar in many ways to Hitchcock as De Palma was. The movie kicks off and the fuse is lit with a breathtaking airplane stunt and then doesn't let go for the next 80 to 90 minutes. It slows down and gets a little clunky at the 90 minute point but picks up again for a great conclusion. Also Jeremy Renner's performance was a little...goofy at times and he was slightly under utilized. But overall Its one of the better, possibly even the best Mission: Impossible as a whole. The set pieces and action scenes are all memorable, Rebecca Ferguson is a fantastic addition and maybe the best character in the series, the music by Joe Kraemer is very good, better than Lorne Balfe's in Fallout for sure. Tom Cruise kind of screwed up the awesome haircut tradition of the series (switching from short on the odd numbered films to long in the even) in this one and I'm not a huge fan of his decision to sport a haircut that's basically neither. Kind of on the longer side, but who really cares. I notice this is a Mission I come back to almost more than any of the others. Its got a great style, tone, and its a lot of fun.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what happens when you mix star wars with hard narcotics
10 March 2019
You just have to see it...it is so bizarre and... hilarious....one of the greatest experimental films and comedies ever made....
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
Gibson gets the job done in his first English language film since BRAVEHEART
8 March 2019
Mel Gibson returns with HACKSAW RIDGE. It tells the true story of Desmond Doss, a man who refused to even touch a weapon, who despite this, volunteered to serve as a medic in WWII and saved the lives of 75 to 100 men at Hacksaw Ridge in Okinawa, Japan. He won the medal of honor and the deep respect of all his brothers in arms. It's a very moving and inspiring story, perfectly tailored to the sensibilities of Gibson as a filmmaker. In this film, He revisits the themes that we have come to know in each of his works. As with Braveheart, and Passion before it, HACKSAW RIDGE is a sacrificial love story. One man's love is tested and perfected through great suffering. Through the violence he finds redemption...Its obvious Mel Gibson is trying to reach that same audience that responded so strongly to The Passion. The violence is there, the biblical imagery is there, the higher spiritual plane is there, it's all there. Yet even though it gets the job done, it is certainly not a flawless film and doesn't quite reach the artistic peaks of his last two efforts...My biggest issue with this movie is how it doesn't try to break the mold with the characterizations. All of Desmond's fellow soldiers are stock characters. You have the funny drill sergeant. The guy with the New York accent. The guy with the funny nickname. You never really get to know these characters. They're just cliches. Another thing was with the war scenes, which are actually the highlight of the film. Yet, stylistically, it's admittedly a little strange with all the guys constantly flying through the air, i'ts a little over the top. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers were prime examples of gritty, realistic, and involving WW2 films. And they had real characters with nuance and personality. Hacksaw Ridge is an inspiring true story with some brutal and well-directed war sequences, but with a lot of cliches. Now even though the movie works within the confines of conventions we've seen, it still manages to move you, which is what matters most. So overall I recommend it. I would've liked a little more grit and nuance with the characters but I Think with the audience they were trying to reach, the choices they made are somewhat understandable.
Hereditary (2018)
Toni Collette in a career making performance!
15 February 2019
Great little movie. I just watched it for the first time the other day. It's sort of ORDINARY PEOPLE as a horror film. A family that is falling apart from within and then like that's not depressing enough, you add apparitions and and seances and satan. It's not cheap and predictable like a lot of horror films. It's more like The Exorcist, a believable character drama that scares the hell outta you. In the film, Toni Collettes mother has just passed. It is understood she was not close to her mother. Soon after a series of eerie and tragic events unfold that cause the family to fall apart. This movie took unexpected and shocking turns throughout and it is genuinely creepy. Toni Collette gives an incredibly believable tour de force performance that is one of the best I've seen in a long time. But Everyone is great in this film. It's well constructed, takes its time, and really goes to some weird places. Definitely would recommend
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 6
14 February 2019
I Really enjoyed this one. The thing that stands out the most is the stunts and set pieces and way it's all beautifully shot and staged. Where it lacks is the script, which isn't bad, but does include some plot holes (The white widow and Ilsa's supposed conflict, introduced, then never followed through..for instance). Take the opening scene in Berlin. It gets the job done, its sets up the central conflict. Yet the logic of that all happening like that is silly when you really think about it. Ethan Hunt will risk the entire world to save his friend... And then you look at the back and forth dialogue between Ethan, Benji, and Luther that happens before that in the setup of the scene. I get it. I get what they're going for. We're feeling the characters, we're with them in that moment, But its like they wrote all that on the spot and used the first take...The script is serviceable. It's really a very simple plot. 3 Plutonium cores are set loose and the IMF is tasked with tracking them down...Ethan Hunt must then deal with "the fallout of all his good intentions" as Solomon Lane so eloquently puts it. The execution of this plot is shaky at times. Whereas GHOST PROTOCOL was a slicker more straightforward version of this one, FALLOUT in its ambition to be better, has a few more patchy spots and plot holes showing where you can tell they were making this all up as they went along. Still, it gets the job done in the end, pretty slickly all things considered... FALLOUT can definitely be considered as "The Epic" of The Mission movies. It just feels big. Its the longest runtime, It has the most ambitious stunts staged yet (Tom Cruise climbing up into a helicopter and dangling off of the side, The HALO jump sequence), and it boasts that classy old school feel that all epics do... As I Said before, It's really a more complex yet messy version of GHOST PROTOCOL. The IMF team is trying to prevent nuclear war again (in Ghost it was missiles, here its plutonium cores.) And Once again. Ethan's wife plays an important part in the emotional drive of the story...And at a crucial point in both stories, the team is cut off from all backup and support and forced to go at it alone....Both films achieve as entertainment, but I think Fallout is more ambitious and gives you more, while Ghost Protocol is tighter and maybe more straightforward and easily accessible...It was unexpected but good to see Michelle Monaghan back as Julia. Her brief cameo at the end of Ghost was a nice little surprise twist and seemed a good sendoff to her character. But here she is brought back again, but for a more fleshed out and satisfying closure that I believe is justified. Michelle Monaghan has an easy likable presence on screen and her return should be a treat for long time fans...In FALLOUT Ving Rhames get the most significant amount of screen time and importance to the story that he ever has in any of the films. Which is long overdue. There's nice little appropriate bursts of Simon Pegg throughout as well. Vanessa Kirby is a scene stealer as The White Widow, thanks to the brilliant writing of Chris McQuarrie and the beautiful way in which she is lit. You are left wanting more of her by the end of the film...Henry Cavill makes for a great villain. Finally A baddie that can go toe to toe and throw down with Ethan, give him a run for his money...Ilssa Faust, played perfectly by Rebecca Ferguson, in my opinion is the best thing to happen to the series and completely owned ROGUE NATION. She's back again and her arc is my only significant gripe with the movie. It feels too much a retread of her story in the last one. You are once again left to wonder who's side she's on and everything that happened in ROGUE to progress her character is undone and she is back where she was in the last film. She's still great in the part and overall her story ends up being satisfying by the end, but I couldn't help but notice that..The score by Lorne Balfe, I wasn't sold when I first heard it. I liked the percussive opening and certain motifs but I felt it wasn't memorable and sounded like they couldn't afford Hans Zimmer and hired this dude. But my opinion has changed since then and I think he did pretty well. Although its probably still my least favorite Mission score overall...Chris McQuarrie is great at writing these characters. He also shines in directing action. There is clarity in the geography and in what's going on. There are some breathtaking shots throughout. This may be the best looking Mission...Overall it looks great, the action is insane, there are plenty of twists and turns, and it entertains and thrills you as a film like this should. I really liked it. I really like the relationship and dynamic between Ethan and Ilssa. I Hope it continues to develop because its the most interesting thing about this series at this point in its run...Can't wait for the next one!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NEEDS TO BE SEEN
14 February 2019
This movie needs to be seen just for the visceral experience of it. See it in the cinema, in 3D, and stay for the behind the scenes feature after the film... This documentary was fresh and original because of the innovative way in which it was presented. It's not an in depth, historical epic scale analysis of World War One, nor is it pushing any kind of political or religious agenda. It is a look at the everyday man who went to fight in World War One and what his experience was like. It throws you in the trenches with a group of English soldiers and you get an idea of the shared experience of every soldier who fought in the Great War...There is not narrater and it is not intercut interviews with scholars and historians. There is just voiceovers of the soldiers themselves years later recounting the experiences in detail. And they're very articulate and fascinating to listen to. There's a lot of slice of life moments. Them just talking about minute everyday kind of things admits all that was going on. Its actually very moving...The colorization of the WWI footage and the 3D is incredible. And the way they added the voices over the silent film footage is amazing as well. They used lip readers to read what the men were saying and then they recorded the dialogue themselves using the right dialect of the person and seamlessly matched it with the picture. Its quite an experience. This could revolutionize how documentaries are done...Peter Jackson, maybe you still have some creativity left in you after all.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.