Visaaranai (2015)
11 December 2019
Interrogation (Visaaranai) is just stark truth about politics, lies, injustice and brutality even now. If it is anything else, then you havent seen the world enough. Plus, it has been India's official entry to the Oscars. Anything else to say?

I watched this film back in 2016 and this is 2020, where Interrogation (Visaaranai) is still a naked truth of how politics, power and game of it can destroy lives of those who are just merely living their lives. The film in simple words, is as powerful as brutal it can be in real life and not just in India (south India where the story is set) but anywhere even in America or Europe. And, real stories of police brutality, inhuman behavior with caught up people without any charges or with charges, and no protection or voice of them from human rights who selectively chooses things to fight on and not where it should have been. Always.

The film is not a fictional story but actually based on a real story that was turned into a novel titled Lock up, written by M. Chandrakumar, an auto rickshaw driver in Coimbatore who now works also as a human rights activist for the same thing and people who are voiceless and not giving a fair trial.

The film looks for a sociopolitical theme film for corruption and clearance for such is very strong and not at all beautiful, looking at how indignation and misfortune takes everything away from them, even their basic human rights with which we all are born, like it is done in India with NRC (National Register of Citizens of India), China's abuse of its Muslim minorities or even ethnic cleansing in Germany and religion selection in countries that promote what this film talks about.

The film is very reminiscent of Kafkaesque works especially Der Process (The Trial) and still makes us feel while watching this film that things are as same as they were back when this story was written.

At last, the film is overall great in all the sections and dont go in expecting it to be like other stupid movies where hero punches thousands and dances with his heroine and has useless songs in it because this film talks truth i.e, the naked truth and rakes millions at BO.

The film is engrossing and keeps you hooked to without letting you take break. Watch it if you love real world cinema and films that are still valid like what government are always to its people.

Plus, I watched it on Netflix with English subs so dont find excuses of how to watch and where to watch.
99 (I) (2009)
This 99 scores full 100 century that you MUST SEE.
8 December 2019
This 99 scores full 100 century that you MUST SEE and are unaware of. This is probably one of the finest, underrated, highly engrossing and entertaining film to come out from Indian cinema or Bollywood, if to be precise. And, also from the Raj and D.K. team. A movie that genuinely demands success and viewership from audience even now, looking at how their action web series with Amazon Prime The Family Man and blockbuster horror comedy Stree turned out to be success and this film is lost and not even on any prominent streaming platforms like Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hotstar or even MX player.

I wont go into details but in simple words this film is about cricket controversies and betting that was high during the time it was set in 1999 and how someone people try to get quick rich, pay off their debts and fulfill their dreams. The actors cast in, haven't done anything phenomenal acting looking at that they are in their comfort zone as they are familiar doing same type of movies and roles but didn't disappoint at all, which is great. What keeps you glued to the film is plot, characters and writing, latter of which is the only USP of the film that makes it great to watch it. Plus, there are no songs in between the film that will disinterest or distract you from the film apart from one that comes in the end credits.

At last, watch this movie from anywhere you can get hold of and I request streaming services apart from YouTube premium (YT sucks) to bring this movie and let the world see an underrated comedy classic.
The Irishman (2019)
Netflix hits a GOLD with Martin Scorsese's The Irishman
27 November 2019
Netflix hits a GOLD with Martin Scorsese's The Irishman

Someone who has watched all the Martin Scorsese movies and works and basically everything, The Irishman is a GOLD in the basket for a filmmaker maverick who's making films since 60's and isnt telling new generation that's old and getta outta of this business like "I'm never gonna retire now." Well, neither do I want him to ever.

Martin Scorsese's film is all about performances and the best acting he has got from his actors all these years is a proof that your skills arent just asset but also a talking thing for people who love cinema and movies and watch it genuinely fully submitted to the telling and showing.

The film is based on the 2004 book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt which tells about f Frank Sheeran and basically the life he had as an alleged mafia hitman who confesses the crimes he committed working for the Bufalino crime family. But the film takes a further turn under the Scorsese's vision, direction and beautiful, philosophical and depth-ful screenplay by Steven Zaillian by keeping it to the ground like closer to graves but not dead so that we consider it like fantasy.

At last, Netflix did a great thing since their inception by bringing Martin Scorsese and the team he's famous for working with like Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci , Harvey Keitel and many among others and not working with like Al Pacino and that in an age where acting is just another business and gettin famous is an event and not a custom or a pilgrimage or a journey like actors of past usually have with their filmographies. In an age where avengers is consider a film masterpiece and twilight earns millions at BO. this is just pure and raw GOLD.

I will watch it again and want Netflix to make another film with same people so that I say my money has got the best person to keep it with.

So go and watch it because that's just the way it is.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dollface (2019– )
Dollface is basically Kat Dennings' version of Sex and the City
18 November 2019
Dollface is basically Kat Dennings' version of Sex and the City where she is the soul and the showlight of the show and makes it interesting to watch where otherwise things are pretty tired and lackluster.

I feel that HULU should have studied and reworked the script and most importantly, dialogues that define characters because everything is messed up and hardly creates a lasting impact. The show looks like a dated version of soapy melodramas romance shows which has ingredients of feminism, metoo, single-hood, and other such new world stuffs.

There are moments here and there but overall when you look at the show at large, you can hardly think of anything best that goes with you at the end of the season. Kat Dennings had her few signature lines and presence like she had from 2 broke girls maybe I am thinking too much but the show adds too much thus letting us take nothing for ourselves to enjoy or learn from.

At last, you can watch this show if you have HULU sub and doesn't want to invest much of brain, thinking or visual and want to watch like you are ill or home trapped. The show takes too many topics too deal with and never stays proper on one of the taken. From the first episode, things are not arranged like a better tv series should and towards the end, things just wrap out of nowhere like producers saying this is where you should stop the show and writer must be like ok, here I do on 10th episode. I am not at all looking for season 2 because first one was a complete turnoff as it was disjointed, too much to ask for and nothing particularly focused on what it wants to tell.

Watch it like you just dont care about it or even yourself.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Morning Show (I) (2019– )
17 November 2019
The Morning Show CAN be a booster for Apple TV+ only if they don't move into melodrama with which they started because after watching 3 episodes (only this much till now) I can definitely say that they are not making shows like we get nowadays. Instead tbh. The Morning Show looks like old soapy late 70s, 80s shows that we have to watch no matter how much we never liked them.

All of them including the leads Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell does their job well but at end, you realize that this is same old school politics and drama that happens in home, in job, in other places where dynamics are tested and watered. I have watched the best and worst of their acting shares but this one can be improved and enhanced by not diluting towards melodramatic tensions or unnecessary or unwanted plot twists like they did when Jennifer comes to meet Steve after allegations secretly. Reese looks embittered not like she's acting but like she has been forced to like to kids that were sent to school for the first time and didn't want to go and cried a lot. Steve is not what I have seen him since starting. Jennifer needs to improve that rom-com acting skills.

At last, I will still keep an eye on this show as it looks promising but hasn't promised me yet anything as such. If Apple TV+ is really focused on making a career in streaming service just for Apple owners then they should listen and learn what viewers have to say because at the end of the day, its their money and money is what Apple TV+ was made for.
Ghostwriter (2019– )
17 November 2019
Apple TV+ should just stick to making innovations in technology and not in storytelling. This is because a company who doesn't know how stories are written, made, told or revered by watchers is doing all that through a unwanted streaming service.

Apple TV+ Announces Ghostwriter Reboot because seriously they want to ruin the original by making a dull, uninteresting and completely unasked series for their platform where people are going to like me pay original money to watch on original Apple devices. I just watched the first episode in the hopes they would reinvent or add something new but I WAS WRONG and instead I dozed off after the episode ended. The show has nothing to hook and people before you decide why i am loathing, you need to know which series is important or worthy in that one or first episode and not need to spend or waste time till 25 or 29 I guess to know whether or not is it worth it.

In simple words, Apple TV+ should just stick to making innovations in technology and not in storytelling because we have mavericks who are doing it elsewhere.
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Color Me Dead (1969)
Color Me Dead (1969) is a colorless scene-to-scene remake of D.O.A. (1949)
17 November 2019
Color Me Dead (1969) is a colorless scene-to-scene remake of D.O.A. (1949) which actually makes no sense at all in making it again for Australian audience or cinema where the original could have been shown. The only best thing I loved about this Australian version was that I could see 1960's Australia and the worst thing apart from the others is that this film is completely unavailable anywhere and I had to resort to a old, dusty VHS copy to watch it in the era of HD, BLU-RAY and STREAMING. The performance of the lead Tom Tryon never makes you believes that he is being poisoned and on the run to find truth or even tensed. Watch it only if you hadn't the original or the American remake or avoid it, in case.
Black Friday (2004)
12 November 2019
Black Friday (2004) is another Anurag Kashyap that needs new attention and audience because Black Friday is that same film which kept Anurag Kashyap locked from fame and critical success that eventually came to him and his works with Gangs Of Wasseypur and provided same success to Karan Johar whose films are now just irrelevant like dumped garbage.

Black Friday is based on Black Friday: The True Story of the Bombay Bomb Blasts, a book by Hussain Zaidi (a great true crime writer) about the 1993 Bombay bombings, it chronicles the events that led to the blasts and the subsequent police investigation. One might think that the film is a true crime documentary styled but it isnt as it also tells of how deep nexus of politics and crime was working with the help of law that has to face the wrath also when blasts happened where the general public was the victim. The film basically is a all time story of how blasts, crimes and terrorism in India survives and fosters with the help of politicians who rise to from criminals, law and police force that is forced to work under them who were once below them. In India you can get arrested and jailed and beaten to death for being truthful and not for being corrupt or criminal because most of them are running and ruling politics of India. I dont need to explain further as there are many examples since 1945 independence till now that makes this film an all time classic and also an underrated and underappreciated one.

The film works best in all the sections as it remains true to what it is telling without getting into Bollywood or cliched story telling. From the script to direction to the music to the color scheming, to cinematography to acting, every department has excelled in their role.

If you are a lover of true crime and terrorism stories and documentaries and have seen some work or the other of Anurag Kashyap then this is a must. What pains me that this film never got the acclaim and success it should have. I still believe if criterion collection releases this in their Indian edition then I can see a new breed of cinephiles watching and loving what they have missed or haven't looked upon. I also recommend to make a show web series on the same events to Anurag Kashyap. It is also saddening that none of the streaming services worldwide has this film streaming.
D.O.A. (1949)
Criterion Collection needs to bring D.O.A. (1949) into their catalogue
11 November 2019
Criterion Collection needs to bring D.O.A. (1949) into their catalogue because it hasn't been treated well at all by cinephiles or Film Noir lovers like The Third Man, Citizen Kane, or even Sunset Boulevard. Like we had Detour (1945) and Cluny Brown (1946) Criterion Collection in 2019, we also need to reevaluate D.O.A. (1949) cultural impact in noirs and the kind of storytelling it took.

We have seen a lot of noirs having a new perspective with new times but this seems to be lost in the alley.

I think I dont need to tell about the plot or what the story is about or why it needs to be studied and respected like other Criterion Collections because you need to watch this film to know what i mean to say.

It also had a remake or new version with same main story as D.O.A. (1988). But the remake downright kills it itself by overdoing the things that look funny or silly or completely unforgivable. The star cast of Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, and Charlotte Rampling. just looks wastage. Killing over a book, ah.
8 November 2019
My Cousin Vinny is just one of the smartest comedies that needs to be watch again and again not because Joe Pesci did a mindfccking role like he always does, Dale Launer wrote an amazing script that needs to be studied by everyone who is trying to understand what a comedy looks like, Marisa Tomei played a role that didn't kept her just females which exist in most of the movies doing nothing to the story, Jonathan Lynn directed a fine script with almost suited directing or anything else that but all together.

Everybody did their role so earnestly that you will not find flaws but laughter and doses of it that are hard to find in today's films or shows without vulgarity or stupidity or sequels or remakes. The story is so real, so present timely, so happening and so anybody-can-be-in-it that it never looks the film was made and released in 1992. The comedy is not bundles of jokes thrown at you but developed from situations and characters which makes film and acting and everything more authentic than ever.

I think I have too much to say or nothing to say after this but I can only say one thing, go and watch this film right now to know what I mean to say.

I am rating this film 4 and half stars out 5. Completely worth the laugh.
D.O.A. (1988)
D.O.A. (1949) just mocks Film Noir and D.O.A. (1949)
5 November 2019
D.O.A. (1949) just mocks Film Noir and D.O.A. (1949).

D.O.A. (1949) needs new retrospection as a Film Noir and also a Criterion Collection because it hasnt been treated well at all by cinephiles or Film Noir lovers like The Third Man, Citizen Kane, or even Sunset Boulevard. Like we had Detour (1945) and Cluny Brown (1946) Criterion Collection in 2019, we also need to reevaluate D.O.A. (1949) cultural impact in noirs and the kind of storytelling it took.

D.O.A. (1949) also had a remake or new version with same main story as D.O.A. (1988). But the remake downright kills it itself by overdoing the things that look funny or silly or completely unforgivable. The star cast of Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, and Charlotte Rampling. just looks wastage. Killing over a book, ah.
Kasak (2005)
Kasak just didnt have enough Kasak to be a watchable film
4 November 2019
Kasak just didnt have enough Kasak to be a watchable film. (Kasak is an urdu word which means pain, affliction) It is boring, uninspiring, cliched, dead on arrival, copied (or inspired from Krzysztof Kieslowski's White, seriously?), and most of all, film doesn't do anything to make us believe into what movie is trying to show nor does the acting. I am rating it 1 and half stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Magical World of Disney: Bride of Boogedy (1987)
Season 31, Episode 23
31 October 2019
Mr. Boogedy with Bride of Boogedy is a good but unexplored attempt horror comedy that could have made itself great but looking at the time it was made and for which medium it was made, we can accept the way it is.

It was actually made an episode for The Disney Sunday Movie." but as a standalone film it is also fine alongside its sequel. The story is of a gag gift salesman and his family moving into a new house in New England which they soon find to be haunted by ghosts from the colonial period.

Both the Mr. Boogedy and Bride of Boogedy, seems and has been inspired by The Canterville Ghost a Short story by Oscar Wilde that is more funny and still fresh even now.

Despite that both the films haven't seen the light of the day in the form of DVD whereas I have watched an old VHS copy I had of both. Same goes for Blu-ray or on any streaming service. But since I have heard that Disney through Disney Plus is going to add both the titles on their service, it would be fun to watch. Also, a sequel or remake or tv series would be great continuing the story.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Magical World of Disney: Mr. Boogedy (1986)
Season 30, Episode 11
Mr. Boogedy is a good but unexplored attempt horror comedy
31 October 2019
Mr. Boogedy is a good but unexplored attempt horror comedy that could have made itself great but looking at the time it was made and for which medium it was made, we can accept the way it is.

The Lottery (1969)
This short film The Lottery(1969) is worth watching but...
27 October 2019
This short film The Lottery(1969) is worth watching but not without the chances it missed to score from adapting it to the film version. The film version is atmospheric yet hollow, simple yet void, and enough yet not that enough. Even today the film looks great to watch because it keeps things simple by not going beyond what Shirley Jackson's wrote. Suspense is well maintained, tension by characters need is in right amount. The film is rightful story of our times whether it prehistoric times or times when politics has destroyed the countries, and as explained well by René Girard which one should definitely check out.
Guide (1965)
This Guide not only shows you places around but also your within self but....
24 October 2019
This Guide not only shows you places around but also your within self but....

Guide is a light of a timeless journey written by R. K. Narayan and acted Dev Anand that needs your attention all the time. Before I review, let me tell you that this review is for both Hindi and English version separately and respectively. If you are planning to watch both versions or havent watched yet, then start by Hindi version and then move to English (only if you want to) otherwise you can ruin the chances of seeing a classic in true form by seeing the worst adaptation ever. (Thank me later for this pre-warning)

Guide - Hindi - 4 and half stars out of 5.

This Hindi version of the finest and well adapted films of all time in Indian Cinema but can be for others if people apart from Hindi watch it with English Subtitles which will help them avoid the horrendous English version which I will have discussed in the second para.

The beauty of this film which is based on the novel The Guide, by R. K. Narayan, lies in how essence of story and what needs to be told that connects with audience without getting extreme or dull about it. Which wouldnt be done without the film's experienced director and writer Vijay Anand. The beauty starts from its main leads namely from Dev Anand who plays the titular role with so much believability, charm, relatability, and touch of all of our lives that anyone of us can connect with the life shown of Raju. Then comes Waheeda Rehman as Rosie Marco/Miss Nalini who plays guide's tourist, love interest and protégé. Leela Chitnis as Raju's Mother who loves him like a mother's love does. Among many others who define the character of Raju, his role of an external guide to being an internal guide.

The film grows beautifully with its character development, story arcs, character motivations and aspirations and chapters that intensify the film overall and how can one forget about about its memorable and melodious songs with beautifully written lyrics. Songs like "Aaj Phir Jeene Ki Tamanna" , "Din Dhal Jaaye", "Gaata Rahe Mera Dil" , "Kya Se Kya Ho Gaya" , "Piya Tose Naina Laage Re" , "Saiyaan Beimaan" , "Tere Mere Sapne" , "Wahan Kaun Hai Tera" deserves to be on your playlist forever. The film begins be telling us about the titular character's life through flashbacks and how his life changed when he went to jail and how looks for 2 kinds of lives in front of him after getting out of jail. And how another flashback begins by Rosie when she and his mother comes to receive him from jail but find he has already got out long back ago and when his mother asks Rosie about how things ended up in such a way that Raju had to go to jail. Both of these flashbacks are very well written, very well performed and create right amount of life and trust that we as viewers should get into to understand the actual story of what the title means to the man who is playing it and how it is connected to all of us. It never steps into areas of melodrama or cheesiness but stays relevant even today if seen from perspectives.

At last, it simple words, this is one film you should miss to watch if you are looking to know which are best or as I say, finest films in Indian Cinema because it has right elements in right place. This film should be on Criterion Collection of Indian Cinema just like we have of Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak.

________________________________________

Guide - Hindi - 1 and half stars out of 5.

This English version shhits all over the place and creates one of the worst adaptations ever of a book, or a pre-made movie in main lang., or in anything. And god knows what was going in the mind of its English makers where it was written by Pearl S Buck and directed by Tad Danielewsk. Even if I forget about these two involvements, I would like to ask Dev Anand what on earth he decide to go on with this kind of end result?

Despite this was the first adaptation thought of the book as said by Dev Anand in his autobiography Romancing with Life (2011), it never looks it was intended to go on being the first as it would have damaged the chances of creating evergreen and box office successful Hindi version. Not much I have to say about this version as it was even criticized by R. K. Narayan who disliked the film adaptation of his novel. He reviewed the English version of the film for the magazine Life, by calling it "The Misguided Guide" which suits it perfectly. Need to say anything else?

What shocks me is that English Cinema (here, American aka US cinema) has always better methods of telling stories than others (here, in comparison to Indian Cinema) so how and why and what happened with the English version of The Guide? Were Pearl and Tad actually making it in such a way that this film or anything related to it earns nothing except criticism and loathe? God knows. Because the way the story or the film is hastened by leaving all the meaty and meaningful parts explains this behavior. Also, one can judge how scenes are made or added up like of showing dead bodies of animals from drought whereas in the Hindi version it never explicitly shows to gain attention or ts producers namely stratton productions, Tad Danielewsk and Navketan Films and whosoever who now holds the rights to the film). Dev Anand as Raju arranges girls for his tourists for entertainment, is shown as philanderer and is unsafe around females, has or had one night stand with Waheeda Rehman as Rosie Marco (which here becomes the reason for divorce and separation from her legitimate archaeologist husband), has Oxford learning (as seen from the dialogues), isnt middle class or lives on measly incomes but has a great house and an English speaking mother, has English speaking working help boy at his shop at railway station and many more. Plus two new additions are seen in this version which is of K. N. Singh as the villager (dont forget English speaking one) and Iftekhar as the police officer friend of Raju.

What shocks me is that English Cinema (here, American aka US cinema) has always better methods of telling stories than others (here, in comparison to Indian Cinema) so how and why and what happened with the English version of The Guide? Were Pearl and Tad actually making it in such a way that this film or anything related to it earns nothing except criticism and loathe? God knows. Because the way the story or the film is hastened by leaving all the meaty and meaningful parts explains this behavior. Also, one can judge how scenes are made or added up like of showing dead bodies of animals from drought whereas in the Hindi version it never explicitly shows to gain attention or when international media comes to him to ask about and know how a person has decided to fast for rains to comes where the American reporter asks Raju ""How do you like it here?" which clearly explains how writing process was done and in Hindi version it never belittles like this or even how Waheeda Rehman as Rosie Marco/Miss Nalini looks like when she comes to visit Raju who as a saint is fastening for rains in comparison to Hindi version which proves that English makers were hardly looking for authenticity and reality.

At last, there are many way too many demerits too talk about this English version which is lifeless, lustless, songless (and even danceless as it is core aspects of the story) dead on alive, unconnecting and unbelievable, too much but nothing as much but I keep myself up till here for you to watch it by yourself and judge which one is actually worth it.

If you want to know which one is the best and worst, which I guess you would have until now by reading my review (and maybe by watching both versions), then go with the Hindi version with English subtitles (which are available prominently) and avoid the English version. While the difference between the two is like of god and human, the Hindi version stays hopeful yet philosophical while the English version is pessimistic and distant (from relatability).
Gol Maal (1979)
This Golmaal never runs out of its timeless comedy for any viewer whatsoever.
23 October 2019
This Golmaal never runs out of its timeless comedy for any viewer whatsoever. And, this is true for anyone anywhere watching it (do take your preferred language subtitles also) because it resonates and tells our stories so effectively that instead of getting serious, we are laughing or ROFL.

This film even now in 2019 is still the best, the greatest, and the finest comedy films ever made in Indian cinema. And where we have seen multiple (stupid, adapted, copied and impervious) films on the same name, this is godfather and actual father of all. Thousands will come and use its name, storyline or even try to kill it by remaking it officially or unofficially, this will still be the king when looked upon for best comedy films of all time from Indian cinema.

From writing, to scenes, to casting to acting and to songs, the film fits very well into hearts and minds of its viewers of any age or of any country.

The best part of the film lies that it doesn't resort to any cheap comedy or comedy from punches that we have heard or see all the time in this digital age. Instead it keeps its humor simple, believable and yet ignorant and not getting at all stupid or over-smart. The film also questions and deals with societal problems of changing trends, generation gaps and how importance to old values are withering remodeling into new patterns and how political climate is still very much a core aspect of this film.

This can be checked from the direction of Hrishikesh Mukherjee and writing by Rahi Masoom Raza and Sachin Bhowmick and acts and performances of Amol Palekar, Utpal Dutt,Dina Pathak, and others who arent named yet are core parts of making this movie a classic with their commendable job.

If you still arent convinced with what I have said here, then go and watch it right now (its is on Amazon Prime and also on YouTube put up by their official producers and re-read this to understand why this Golmaal is actually what a comedy film should be. Always.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
George Carlin is the lord of undisputed truth of times and comedy
14 October 2019
George Carlin is the lord of undisputed truth of times and comedy and even 15 years now and 50000 years later, he is going to remain the truth-teller and the greatest storyteller seen on this planet.

George Carlin: Life Is Worth Losing is a part of George Carlin HBO Specials, which I hope HBO will release alongside other Carlin shows on HBO MAX and other streaming services, and also one of the last Carlin shows that just gets FISHING better with the best.

This Specials as the title suggests talks about how death, killing and suicide are the best things instead of having the life and doing nothing special and how our societies (not just American society or American dream) and the govt in power has just promoted and pumped up the chances of life not worth having.

The best part with George Carlin and his works including books and his recorded audiobooks is that they are timeless, urgent and highly relatable and with each of his later works, he has gone towards more truth and more reality. In 2019, we are hardly seeing anybody talking about truth apart from abuses and booze and girls and other bullsh!t and comedians today are saving us from truth and reality that George Carlin already told us before world could k!ll him with charges, abuses, indecencies, and simply telling them the truth.

At last, George Carlin deserves another life and another watch. And this one just hits the bullseye too many times.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Telescope: A Talk with Hitchcock (1964)
Season Unknown, Episode Unknown
A Talk with Hitchcock is another great insight of what Hitchcock is
2 October 2019
A Talk with Hitchcock is another great insight of what Hitchcock is that is done and presented beautifully by Fletcher Markle. I happen to stumble upon the complete interview after searching for it for many years despite a part of it is on YouTube.

It is so sad to see that this interview isn't popularized or talked among fans of Alfred Hitchcock or cinephiles of great cinema.

This interview provides great insight on how Alfred Hitchcock makes his films and talks about his most renowned films like Psycho and about the famous shower scene. Also you get to know how he is in real life and how he has learned film-making and writing over the years of experience from Germany to British Cinema to Hollywood. Must watch. I hope someone finds it in Canada where chances of a better print existing are very high but still a (bad) DVD print exists on Amazon.
New Delhi Times (1986) is as relevant in 2019 as it was back then
3 September 2019
New Delhi Times (1986) is as relevant in 2019 as it was back then not because corruption, political and mafia nexus or downfall of morals and ethics is still pretty strong and very much accepted now but how things haven't changed for someone who is known for its unbiased, rightful and straightforward reporting and journalizing. The journalists, reporters, writers and the free voices of the world and places like India are k!lled, murdered and slaved by those who don't want the voice of truth to reveal something that is related to them and can harm their position or nexus or working. While this film hasn't seen a proper release at that point of time and even now it is still lies in obscurity, I hope digital streaming platforms up this up and make way for world to watch. When we can watch films like Nothing but the Truth, The Racket, Shattered Glass, The whistleblower, State of Play, The Insider, All the President's Men, or Spotlight 2015 then we should also watch this. Worth a watch for everyone.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super 30 (2019)
This is what bollywood should make and see right now
13 July 2019
This is what bollywood should make and see right now instead of stupid movies from khans (not saif and irrfan) and johar movies. This is an underdog story of a person named anand kumar who had to fight his way to give free education to students who cannot afford it and how as everyone knows that in india, education is a billion business from politicians to ministers to corporates taking their share which makes others from lower classes remain uneducated and underachieved. Hrithik Roshan and Anurag Kashyap makes this movie even more great by keeping it real, simple and relatable for those who had to face problems while getting pure education and positions after that. If you miss this then dont watch cinema at all and make it reach to 200 crores to prove real cinema and real stories matter to all of us because time has changed.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Man in the High Castle started with a BANG but is now only the HOLE left from the bullet....
28 November 2018

EDITED AND UPDATED - Now that I have watched the fourth and the last season I can say that what I said before was true, real and predicted righteously.

The Man in the High Castle by Amazon Studios and Amazon Studios based on a Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel is a just a show that was great only in the first season because since then till latest, it has only declined and degraded.

When I post my disgruntled thoughts through a review for season 2 and 3, I thought the fourth season will change and make me love the series once again but I should say Amazon did a great job with Scott Free Productions, Headline Pictures, Electric Shepherd Productions, and Big Light Productions to make me hate and loathe it even more.

The reasons are very simple. The story in the first season was kept simple. atmospheric, mystery, tense, political and thriller kind of feel where you were genuinely interested what outcomes will make impact to the story and the characters portraying it. But after that through season 2, 3 and 4, it was dragging and just elongating character threads to keep them alive for things they do that doesn't matter to us or makes us take note. When the season 4 ended, I wasn't looking to anything better because show lost me and my interest and my respect after season 1. The story if we look in context to the novel or to what was adapted to screen as per the needs, is just out of the focus. I mean if you are making a character doing things that will change the course of the story and will bring impact to them and to us as viewers, then you need to keep them real and aimed. But the writers and most importantly, the producers failed at this and just dragged the show to keep it going. I was waiting to see generously to see the end of a character, plot point, story arc and something that doesn't change the course of the essence of the novel on which it was LOOSELY based upon. BUT I WAS WRONG. So as the result, the show is dull, uninteresting and at last, unwanted.

I started watching this back in 2015 when the first season arrived but since then i hadn't got the time to watch the other seasons, so this year this time, i decided to rewatch from starting till the end i.e., 3rd season.

It started with a promising and intriguing premise but as 3rd season ends, it shows very bleak chances of me returning back to other upcoming season.

1ST SEASON - Aimed highly as plot - 8/10 2ND SEASON - Aimed as story and character development 7/10 3RD SEASON - Just dragging things up and adding nonsensical things like nudes, kissing scenes, same sex relationships and plot lines that don't make any sense. 3/10 4TH SEASON - Nothing new, just dragging on with things they created unnecessarily in the previous seasons namely 2 and 3. 3/10

My advise would be just watch season 1 and leave it there before you rate high and then go downwards after going for other seasons.

Amazon and other producers involved need to understand the core aspect of the book and the what the story was actually about instead making us pay for this TV series through money and time by calling it the best whereas for my side, it is now becoming what i felt like years ago for wayward pines and LOST. BAD.

Also, IMDB, should make each season rate-able differently so that if one season is good and others are bad both don't end up in same realm.
119 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film you must never forget and always watch to...
29 July 2018
Being a long admirer of long-forgotten, missed-out, and esp.criterion collections, this film was a big and unexpcted surprise for me. This was not because i was walking a criterion film after a month but because it was sheerly different from what films are and what they use to be.

Coming back to this title, "My Dinner with Andre(1981)" this film basically can be described in simple words such as a 2 hour long therapeutic conversation over a dinner between two people who were meeting after a long period of time.

Keeping me review short and simple. what really puts you towards admiring the film is the basis of the telling and what it want to convey through simple words and yet iceberg theory kinda exists in those letters. If you are kind a philosophical person who loves to know about their desire of what life is and other related aspects then this film is for you as the actors in the film namely , Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn the main leads creates wonder chemistry and aura that never lets you go away from the film despite sometime your yawning and boriness comes in and tries to delude you away.

With this, this film is a clearly no-no to action junkies and normal movies goers as this realm is not meant for them and this film wouldn't go pass your normal kind of entertainment which you'll come looking towards this film.

In simple words, do watch it and judge it as your heart will thinking about it.

I give a rating of 9/10 stars for being what it is. True. Simple. Real. Unforgettable.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annihilation (2018)
Annihilation will remind you why best movies are hard to find and why this one still makes into that list
14 March 2018
Annihilation is one of those films that keeps on reminding that great films are hard to see and more harder when they pass by without making any mark of their presence. If you have watched the film and then have walked upto here to see other's opinions and reviews then you must know one thing for sure. Annihilation like all other great and finesse film esp. mother!, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 will have polarized reviews. Great ones will talk about how fine this film is and bad ones will keep ranting how incoherent it is.

Annihilation is the first film adapted from the series of the book by Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer where this one acts on the first book while others are in the upcoming. The story is about as said by IMDB "A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition where the laws of nature don't apply." I would not tell about that in here because that you can read it anywhere.

The best part of Annihilation comes in the totality of how it deals with the story and the outcome. The credits goes to the writer Jeff VanderMeer and the screenwriter and the film director Alex Garland for bringing the realism with no nonsensical cinema gimmicks but with sensational background score that is haunting and frightening. The works of Alex Garland has also been previously commendable thus he was the apt man for the screen adaptation. Talking about the performances, I would say that Natalie Portman as Lena makes the best out of what she holds and what he transpires out. She would remind you of Amy Adams as Louise Banks from ARRIVAL. Overall, the film has made the best usage of what it had. The only problem i have is that Paramount pictures have lost a big chunk of money by getting it on Netflix as in halls it would have earned its own repo but during this and next month would not be smart but if they have stepped in June then it would have.

The film reminds of many great and cult films that we have grown up watching which ranges from The Thing (1982), The Thing from Another World (1951), Predator (1987), Alien (1979), Arrival (2016) and many more that falls under this realm. Do watch it as soon as possible because cult goes always before we find them in their becoming.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
India's Daughter (I) (2015)
Have we learned anything from this Nirbhaya case?
1 December 2017
Have we learned anything from this Nirbhaya case?

How far can this all go and what we have learned and what we haven't, is a different question but what this documentary illuminates across our minds that is sitting across the world is that no matter what happens should really happen in this way or not.

Have we learned anything from this Nirbhaya case or is this documentary a farce?

I think most of the Indian society will never learn and this case is just another but a bit more highlighted one, because after that a lot more occurred and ratio and intentions never fell down.

RAPE is serious issue not just for females but also of the govt. that isn't taking it seriously otherwise this would have been last in this field of crime and the death penalty should be the warning sign for rapists around.

BUT NO, NOTHING OF THAT SORT HAPPENED.

So, this BBC documentary is just another munching stuff that never compels us ask the Indian Govt. why rapes are occurring after such vicious incident and so much of shame in the world politics.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.