Reviews

Doctor Sleep (2019)
Surprisingly, better than expected.
4 November 2019
The ever-beautiful Rebecca Ferguson and a favorite from the Fargo series, Zahn McClarnon team up to bring us some not-so-scary, but rather eerie/creepy, moments in this adaptation of King's Doctor Sleep. For the most part, and with the help of Ewan McGregor who plays an alcoholic, grown-up version of The Shining's Danny Torrence, they pull it off.

While Doctor Sleep is a somewhat drawn-out and, mostly, slow-moving film, it still has enough to it, to not lose one's attention. The story-line is solid and engaging enough, although those unfamiliar with the book and looking for outright horror and gore, will find little satisfaction. There are a couple of scenes which can be construed as "horrific", but IMO Doctor Sleep is not really a "horror flick" by definition. To me, it is more like an intense drama about good vs evil, with a couple of well-done 'end-of-life' scenes thrown in. :)

What I most enjoyed about it, is that in this day and age where practically every story ever has already been made into a movie, this one's plot was just a bit off the beaten path and came across as slightly new and original in its approach, while still pretty seamlessly tying it in to the well-known classic: The Shining.

If I had to add one con, it would be a somewhat minor one, in that, at times, the girl who plays Abra (Kyliegh Curran), who also possesses 'the shining', and who can communicate with Danny, delivers her lines in almost a stone-like manner, and at other times as if she is rapidly reading. It occurred one too many times, and I found that it took me out of the movie for just a bit.

While good, the scenes leading up to the ending are a bit predictable, and the 'showdown' (remember, good vs. evil) leaves a little to be desired. For the most part, however, I can live with it, seeing as Rebecca Ferguson saves it by just being in it, and King and the creators do their best to come full circle. In short, like the entire film itself, it is satisfying-enough to where one can feel as if watching it, was time well spent.
76 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Room 104: No Hospital (2019)
Season 3, Episode 8
I don't usually review episodes ...
3 November 2019
While I generally like this series, I have to admit that some episodes miss the mark, and others still (such as the two episodes before this one), are downright crap.

Every so often though, you have an episode like this one, which makes the hair at the back of your neck stand up. The acting was AMAZING and the story was both genuinely original and inventive as well as engrossing and entertaining. There were moments when I think I forgot to blink.

I can't believe it only scored a 6.4 here. I guess those who are rating it way lower than it deserves, either don't enjoy reading subtitles, or just can't read.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Giver (2014)
How could I have not known this film existed until now?
3 November 2019
What a simple, yet beautiful film. It is by all accounts, what should quantify and qualify as the real definition of a "feel good" movie.

I can only imagine that those who rated this subtle, unembellished, yet exquisitely moving film any lower than a 7, have lost the ability to be moved by anything.

As for me, I am so glad I live, love, laugh and feel.

--------------------------------------------

... A definite must-watch when you want both to smile, and for your heart to ache just a little.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Laundromat (I) (2019)
There is a reason why the attorneys at the center of the scandal this covers, wanted it banned.
20 October 2019
The attorneys at the center of the scandal this covers, filed suit in federal court claiming they were defamed by the film. Upon viewing, you'll realize that there is no way they did not defame themselves.

Above and beyond that, this is a film every single person who is unfamiliar with offshore banking should see. It describes in accurate, albeit humorous terms, how "money" works in some people's hands, vs. how it works in the hands of the normal Joe.

The cast is made up of amazing actors who give amazing performances, yet as most of us know, that isn't always the ingredient for a great movie. This one went a step further, and gifted us with FACTS. (Not even its many detractors can argue with any conclusive proof that the laws it unveils to the layman are not on the books and being used daily).

Basically, it takes the viewer through the inner machinations of a business run by people who know the law and push the law as far as the law will allow in order to serve their own purposes. People who deal in gauging the value of buying and selling trades and commodities, as easy as they gauge the value of .... and trade in ... other people.

Lastly, in going through other reviews here, I can't help but think about how different we all are, and how some people understood and could appreciate such a well presented window into actual business practices and money and how the two affect the average American, and how others seemed to take simple facts, as a personal affront or attack on their political party.

Not WANTING to face facts, does not change fact.
208 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A REALLY slow start, but OMG, if the rest is not amazing, I don't know what is.
13 October 2019
Okay, so full disclosure. I am a HUGE Breaking Bad fan. I have watched the entire series three times, and then I have watched it ANOTHER SIX TIMES, skipping an episode here and there. I have turned countless people on to it, because in my opinion, anyone who has not seen it has robbed themselves. I have debated on how every single episode is a work of art. In short, in reply to the question of if I were stranded on a desert island with only one "thing" - the complete BrBa series would probably be my answer. :)

That said, I am not oblivious to its minor flaws. The fact that I love it so much does not mean I cannot be objective about it. It just means that it is deserving of such praise.

This brings me to El Camino.

Is it perfect? No.

Is it riveting? Absofrickinlutely!

First and foremost, before watching it, the viewer needs to understand that El Camino did not have a theater opening. Vince Gilligan, and I assume everyone involved, knew what this was - and it is not meant to be a blockbuster film, but simply, the goodbye so many of us have been asking for.

Was this goodbye perfect? Not entirely. In my opinion, it would have gone a long way to being a WHOLE lot closer to perfect if the first 29 minutes could have been condensed into 15.

Those minutes kind of dragged, and while parts were moving and sweet - again, it dragged. Thank god that at 29 minutes in, it began to gain momentum, and while still slow in parts, the tension and the build-up was fantastic. Seeing most of your favorite (and hated) characters, and not only SEEING them, but FEELING your way into their minds, was amazing. (Yes, Todd IS distracting as you must have already read from other viewers). Why could they not have waited until he lost some weight? Offered him lipo? Used CGI? We'll never know - and if there is a main problem with the film, the difference in Todd is it). If one manages to put that aside, however and watch it for what it is, it is pure Breaking Bad at its best.

The climax is kind of difficult to explain. I guess again, it wasn't perfect, but it was SO DAMN GOOD. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but you just have to watch it. Oh, and here, I must tell you to do yourself/yourselves a favor and avoid all kinds of spoilers about it.

The time leading up to the end was the best part of the entire thing. It was tasteful, poignant, touching, moving, funny ... and almost a love letter of sorts to all us fans.

The actual end was pretty good and almost satisfying, but in my opinion (and I think many would agree), it would have been better had another character been brought in to complete the circle, even if they had to skip to the "future". While they did touch on this story arc at the ending, it was much too vague to appreciate.

All in all, a solid 7.5-8, but considering it was preceded and born out of the most subtly monumental series in history, I HAD to up it to a 9.

Am I a fan girl? Perhaps. But the movie and above that, the series above any series ever, deserves to have fans.

Holy heck. I love you Breaking bad.
56 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Trap (2017)
Light years beyond DUMB (+Wildly FAKE Ratings).
4 October 2019
While there are parts of it that are entertaining (maybe entertaining makes it sound better than it is) or are just okay enough to keep your interest, as a whole, it is pretty terrible.

The premise has been done before, repeatedly, and has been done much better. There are so many glaring holes in terms of the quantum mechanics of time travel, that if you are a mathematician (or have OCD about numbers) or if you're just really into time-travel flicks, the discrepancies will drive you crazy. (Time goes slower in the cave and the world passes them by, but when one or two of them get out of the cave and then come back, for some reason time has not passed. Whaaat? Lol). The costumes (yes, costumes) are laughably bad (if you see it, you'll know which ones I am referring to), and although the acting isn't as bad as some of the worst-acted movies you and I have surely seen, it is still pretty bad. As if that wasn't enough, there are a couple of parts in particular that just make you shake your head in amazement at how ludicrous they are. One of them, and the reason for my spoiler tag, is that the group is RIGHT next to a plot device which will help a character, yet they don't think about using it? Oh, and as an afterthought, what purpose did having the dog in it at the beginning serve if it was not followed up on? Lastly, the ending? SO DUMB.

All in all, there is no way that I could in good conscience recommend this movie to anyone I know even if just to pass the time, and I cannot fathom how anyone could.

I GUARANTEE THE 8, 9, & 10 Reviews are all fake. THINK about it: 8, 9 10s should be reserved for the best of the best. What are the chances that a B movie about time-travel with zero to no buzz is that type of film? The answer: it isn't, and the only way to recoup the terrible losses brought about by the awful film it is, is to "fake it till you make it", in rentals.
55 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Midsommar (I) (2019)
Beautiful beyond words, and yet ...
3 October 2019
This film is visually beautiful - almost stunning, and yet all that beauty almost lulls you to sleep. At the 58-minute mark I literally nodded off. Thankfully, it was just compelling enough that I chose to stay awake.

I am so glad I did. Or am I? As one reviewer already put it, it is "traumatic" and even though it is slow-going, it is well worth the almost inexplicable payoff.

It will haunt you, in that long after it is over you will think back on it.

What a mind F.

I'll say no more.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hellboy (2019)
A 5.2 rating is a little low, but not by much ...
6 September 2019
Up until the 14:40 mark, I kept wondering why in the heck this film was only rated a 5.2 on IMDB.

I thought the beginning was good, if not great. Hellboy's entrance and the scene with his friend, was entertaining. Ian McShane's opening lines were believable, even if the act of filing Hellboy's horns was not ... So generally, I was thinking that for the film to be an actual 5.2, it had to get really bad.

Well, parts of it did.

While I disagree that the CGI was bad (I actually thought parts of it were FANTASTIC), the PLOT was nonexistent and the DIALOGUE was just this side of a sixth-grader's school essay.

That aside, the biggest problem I had with it, were the super-annoying sidekicks. The guy was mostly okay, but the girl was terrible. It was also FULL of those little things that I tend to notice which take me out of a movie, such as an extra who is supposed to be cheering, but looks more like they are lifting invisible 10 lb. weights in each hand, or the other extra who is looking right into the camera. HOW could the people responsible for editing these films, or anyone involved who watched the full cut not care enough to catch things like that? That tells me that a lot of the people involved either didn't bother to see it, or again, just didn't care. That never bodes well.

Shame, because I think Hellboy, in better hands, could be amazing.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deadwood: The Movie (2019 TV Movie)
Daniel Weiss and David Benioff ... Take Note
12 June 2019
Daniel Weiss and David Benioff ... Take Note: Ever hear the adage that if you don't have anything good (constructive) to say, you should remain silent? Well, better to have remained silent than to attempt to wrap up something without having a clue how to do it. ... For the proper way to do it, see Deadwood, The movie.

THIS is the way to properly end something that was once considered game-changing and essential in its field.

Beautiful, funny, moving.

"The world ends when you're dead ... Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man-and give some back." -Al Swearengen
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Omens (2019)
Oh heavens. Such a hell of a good time!
11 June 2019
So good, that it amazes me to find any negative comments or reviews at all. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea (what is?), to think some actually found something negative to critique or give a bad rating to, is mind-boggling.

The acting is top-notch, the story is fantastic, the writing superb, the delivery mostly quirky and fun, so in a time where other television series run together and merge and meld in their unoriginality, to give this fun, very intelligently done series anything less than a nine, would be a sin.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne (2019)
Season 8, Episode 6
Melisandre offed herself so as not to have to work with the brainless Dumb & Dumber duo a second longer than necessary.
22 May 2019
It seems that in a misguided effort to thwart EVERY fan theory out there, D&D discarded everything with "meat" that would have made for a passable ending. Instead, they went so far into left field, hoping that they could tug on heart strings with badly written death scenes, and long-winded dialogue-heavy appeals that did nothing more than make this fan wish I had not wished so fervently for this season.

To say that the ending was awful, and nothing like what the beginning of this series teased us with, is an understatement.

What was once a miraculous series that joined people of all walks of life in the enjoyment of ONE THING, is now a pile of ash bigger than King's Landing - and it is all due to the no-talent, brain-dead, useless duo of David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who proved conclusively that they cannot put together a grocery list unless it is given to them already penned, with sizes and amounts (Which is exactly what the books did). ___Disney, take note!!!

I expected to cry, yes ... at the story lines and how they ended ... not at the futility of watching a "10" series" crumble and burn down to a "4" in about six episodes.

SO, to those who say: "It wasn't that bad ...", or anything similar, remember D&D CHOSE to end it early. They CHOSE to squeeze the ending into six episodes. They CHOSE all the "not so bad parts" .... AND If YOU'RE satisfied with their decisions and being served up MEDIOCRITY, eating it up and saying it was yummy, especially when you know they did better WITH a fully written script, then go on, continue to be satisfied with it. - - - As for me and the majority of people who dedicated almost a decade to what this show was, it was more than disrespectful to end it all so ridiculously.

------------------------- Cersei is still fuming they didn't give her OR JAIME a deserving death. (ROCKS? REALLY?); Ghost knows it wasn't Jon who didn't pet him; Melisandre is at rest; Missandei meant "Dracarys the awful writing pair of nimbobs"; the awful writing pair of nimbobs are laughing all the way to the bank; Star Wars is doomed; HBO executives are creating accounts on IMDB so as to not look too foolish; and George R. R. Martin is rolling around in his over-sized desk chair - not how you think - but because now EVERYONE will buy the books to see how it REALLY ENDS.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne (2019)
Season 8, Episode 6
Melisandre Offed Herself Because She Could Not Fathom Working With Dumb & Dumber A Second Longer.
20 May 2019
Where to begin ...

I can't. Let me just summarize.

SO, to those who say: "It wasn't that bad ...", or anything similar, remember D&D CHOSE to end it early. They CHOSE to squeeze the ending into six episodes. They CHOSE all the "not so bad parts" .... AND If YOU'RE satisfied with their decisions and being served up MEDIOCRITY, eating it up and saying it was yummy, especially when you know they did better WITH a fully written script, then go on, continue to be satisfied with it. - - - As for me and the majority of people who dedicated almost a decade to what this show was, it was more than disrespectful to cast and fans, to end it all so ridiculously.
163 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I keep asking myself: 'WHY didn't you like it?"
7 April 2019
From what I understand after watching most of it, then much later Googling to find out what happens, this is a project that was in the making for almost a decade, with no takers. In that time of being rejected, it should have been revamped and made better before Netflix got its hands on it. As it is, the fact that it was made, brings us forward to me sitting here scratching my head, asking myself the Title question of WHY I DIDN'T LIKE IT.

First of all, it has Oscar Isaac in it, and he's all kinds of hunky manly yummy in that not-so-good-looking-kind-of-way. It also stars Pedro Pascal, who can do no wrong in my eyes, except for maybe speaking too much while in the fighting ring with The Mountain (right now, however, I will not digress into tears); Charlie Hunnam, who I like; and Ben Affleck who I, most of the time, begrudgingly like. It has a very pretty actress who represents Latinas well - always good in my book; a decent story line; good acting, overall ... SO WHAT WAS MISSING?

I have no idea, but it failed to connect.

From the very first (opening) act, where the stereotypical bad cop does his thing and the girl does her thing which you can see coming a mile away, and the twist that is not really a twist comes into play between the main character and the girl ... it kind of just loses you, so by the time THEY get to the forest, you're on your way home. At least I was.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glass (2019)
I admit it. I cried.
3 April 2019
At about fifteen minutes in, I was ready to walk out. It felt so unlike the other two installments. Bruce Willis looked ancient, I thought it would be more of McAvoy reenacting his previous role in this franchise, and Samuel Jackson, well, I've seen a hundred times be Samuel Jackson ...

But then something marvelous happened.

It grew on me in ways I wasn't expecting. I actually began to feel for each of the characters and in some remote part of my brain, this was REAL. I can't say how those involved in this film managed to do that beyond what other movies have been able to, but they did. To say that I became immersed in it, is an understatement. Were there moments of 'cheese'? Absolutely. But they were more like Brie than cheap cheese, and they were enveloped well by non-cheesiness goodness. Willis's age went from detractor to heart-wrenching. McAvoy's acting was (pardon my redundancy) superbly top-notch and impeccably perfect. Even Samuel Jackson managed to make me believe that this is one role he was actually invested in.

And at the end - I cried. ...And I don't normally cry.

In as far as the ongoing debate about the ending, I can see all the sides and where everyone is coming from. The ending is not one I would have opted for, but I see everything Shyamalan wanted to say and can only imagine how difficult it was to get it all in, and perhaps this was the only way to do so. In retrospect, the ending I would have wanted would not have been as powerful.

Loved it.
71 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Santa Clarita Diet (2017–2019)
Love Bites ... and I want so much more.
30 March 2019
This show keeps getting better and better.

Season 1 was good; Season 2, better; then in the middle of binging Season 3, I realized my cheeks literally hurt from smiling so much. I have never seen or liked Timothy Olyphant or Drew Barrymore more than I do so in this. Everything just comes together - writing, directing, acting - to form a lovable, hilarious romp that's so very gratifying to watch. LOVE it.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad. In fact, quite good ... BUT ...
29 September 2018
Once you get over a bit of a slow start, the film proves to be entertaining and engrossing, and it draws attention to the inner, sometimes dirty, machinations of government and the jurisdictional "system". The acting is also pretty much all-around top-notch.

The only thing that I found as a slight negative, is that it really doesn't have any kind of re-watchabilty factor. Once you've seen and enjoyed it, as much as one can enjoy a film of this nature, I don't find that there is any allure to ever watch it again.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hotel Artemis (2018)
LOVED this movie!!!
29 September 2018
From the soundtrack, to every moment of each actor on-screen, LOVED it.

Seriously, there was not one actor that was off. I fell in love with Dave Bautista's character (and it was great to see him out of GOTG makeup). I knew he was pretty good in other things, but this role just fit him so well. Jodie Foster was fantastic. So much so, in fact, that I wondered whether she actually moves like she did in the film, in real life. Sofia Boutella is just gorgeous, and I really liked that her action scenes were fantastically choreographed, without being over the top (say, as the scenes with Theron in Atomic Blonde which were just a little much). Sterling K. Brown brought a depth of character I had not seen before from him, and Jeff Goldblum ... well, is there really any role he's played where he's not a favorite?

As for the premise? Why NOT? In most 'futuristic' movies one must stretch to suspend belief in order to be carried into it. This one was really not that far off, so it was easy to believe from the get-go.

I think, based just upon one watch, that it has gained a place among my top ten movies of all time, and the fact that it only scored a 6.2 on IMDB BAFFLES me.
49 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Margin Call (2011)
Should have put you to sleep, yet managed to make every hair on your head want to stand up and watch too.
19 July 2018
Lots of well known actors, yet as most of us know, that isn't always the ingredient for a great movie. This one went a step further, and gifted us with a great story as well.

Basically, over a period of more or less 24 hours, you see the inner machinations of a business run by people you may see every day ... who I'd like to think are nothing like real people (but know better). People who deal in gauging the value of, and buying and selling trades and commodities, as easy as they gauge the value of .... and then use or discard, other people.

It is taut, purposefully kept at an even pace, and mostly, it is REALLY well acted by most everyone in front of the camera.

The reason for my spoiler warning, and why I didn't give it a straight 10, was that as hackneyed or candy-coated as it would have been, I SO would have preferred an ending where Tucci's character, "got his" by having schemed the entire thing up and forcing them into collapse. That would have made me smile for days. Let's face it though, having been loosely based on the market chaos of 2008, and more so, based on the real world of trading and back room deals, who am I to have expected a happy ending for the guy?

Lastly, in going through other reviews here, I can't help but think about how different we all are, and how some people understood and could appreciate such a well presented glimpse into board rooms everywhere (not just Wall Street, but across America in the buildings of every large American corporation today), and how others just didn't get it, understand, or care.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad Reminder that Nothing Lasts Forever
24 June 2018
Even with the faults of some of the earlier films (Jurassic Park III, anyone?), this is one of the most entertaining and visually majestic franchises on film. Unfortunately, the entertainment portion of it took a huge nosedive with this installment.

In short, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is more of a snore-fest than a Dinofest with what felt like an endless trip through nothingville before you begin to even think about becoming engaged ... if you aren't asleep at that point.

The CGI is great and the dinosaurs are more visually stunning and real than any Jurassic film before, but in this case it makes it all the more sad, as it resoundingly lays all the fault for the film's mediocrity, on the script. While we are on the subject of the script, here's a hint to the writers, producers and director: If you have to use a gun-like device to "laser tag" something so that a dinosaur will attack it, why would you pass up the opportunity, while you have it in your laser tag sights, to just kill it yourself instead of tagging it and THEN sending the dinosaur after it? Doubtful that Dino would fetch a cool $28M without all the pesky quirks worked out. And that's just one of the many plot holes.

I would generally say that you should watch a film of this scope on the big screen, but in the case of this film in particular, I must advise you watch it when it comes to Blu-Ray or via streaming so that you have less to feel let down about.

Lastly, as for the mixed reviews, I highly suggest that for a proper feel of the truth of the matter, you sort them by "Prolific Reviewer". I'm not implying that a lot of the 10/10 reviews are from people who have only ever reviewed one movie (this one), but a lot of the 10/10 reviews are from people who have only ever reviewed one movie ... this one. :)
113 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WHAT Did I Just Watch?
7 June 2018
First of all, after not only watching this, but seeing reviews which say this is 'pretty realistic', I have to truly thank God in heaven that 1. I have never met a garbage bag as bad as the guys portrayed in this film; and 2. none of my friends are neurotic, crazy, desperate women like the women portrayed in this film.

Seriously.

Ginnifer Goodwin's character alone is enough to make you want to watch this with your eyes rolled up inside your head to spare you from rolling them up every 5 seconds of her screen time. Kudos to her as an actress, for making such a pathetic character truly come across as the pathetic character I imagine she is meant to be.

On the subject of actresses, and therefore actors - the cast is amazing in that there are a lot of well-known names in the credits. What a crying shame that they could not have lent those names to something way better than what is this trite, awful film turned out to be.

Skip like the plague, and if you have daughters, PLEASE teach them that this film does not depict what real girls and women are like.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hell or High Water (II) (2016)
A Tale of Cops N' Robbers at its Finest
7 June 2018
The first time I watched this, I turned it off at about the 5-minute mark. I thought it was another dumb movie about inept country-bumpkins, which would rely on a mixture of slapstick and overly-done sappy and violent scenes in order to create enough of a pull to keep at least some audience members somewhat entertained.

How wrong I was.

I finally sat down and watched it with friends who insisted it was not what it appeared to be within the first few minutes of the film.

Without giving too much away, and having to use a spoiler tag, Hell or High Water is a story about two brothers who after the death of their mother, organize a series of (justified?) bank robberies. What ensues is a catch-me-if-you-can scenario with the pursuing "law" hell-bent on catching them, and them hell-bent on not being caught. In short, it is a typical story of cops and robbers (or so you would think), with an atypical, uncommon and unconventional narrative.

Given the plot, the remote setting and the almost nostalgic atmosphere and ambiance of the film, it is honestly a miracle, and more than a pleasant surprise, just how very gratifying and outstanding this film actually is.

A definite must-watch.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Standups (2017– )
Are We Watching the Same Thing?
31 May 2018
While granted, some of the comedians are way funnier than others, how can you go wrong with LAUGHTER???

I for one love to laugh, and appreciate the fact that shows like this exist. Again, especially in the first season (2017), some of the highlighted comedians were hilarious, while a couple weren't that great (with one in particular being downright bad). The jokes, however, are original, and unless you have no funny bone whatsoever, you will, at the very least, walk away having smiled - a lot. Season 2 seems to have started out on the right foot, so I'll stayed tuned. It's better than an apple a day.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Voices (2014)
Mr. Whiskers Nailed It
25 May 2018
If this review was just about Mr. Whiskers, I'd give it a 10.

Sadly, it isn't.

I love Ryan Reynolds, so when I came across this, I thought: "Yeay! A Deadpool-like movie." Trust me; it is not.

I also LOVE "dark" humor, sarcasm, double-entendre, dry wit ... (you get the picture), so after watching this, I had to really ask myself why it was that I found it so horrifying. All I could come up with is that maybe I wasn't expecting, going in, how dark a dark-comedy this really is.

Even towards the end, I kept thinking there was a twist coming that would make it not quite so dark. As such, to me, it was an assault on what I deem to be my not-so-thin-skinned sensibilities.

I may be the only one, but I hated it.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hugh Jackman Singing and Dancing. Need I say more?
7 April 2018
I have watched this film approximately twenty or more times. That is in no way an exaggeration and I may be low-calling it. Sometimes, I just have it on in the background while I work out or in the morning or while getting ready for work or I play it while cooking in the evening.

On a couple of occasions, I've even caught my boyfriend humming the tunes. To say the songs stick with you, is an understatement.

In fact, we've listened and watched it so much, that on every 20th Century Fox Movie "opening" sequence on any and all other subsequent 20th Century Fox movies we've watched, I automatically think of this one, and I am half expecting to see and hear the "Ah, ah, ahhh, ahh ..." and Hugh Jackman with his low "Ladies and Gents . . . ". Besides having a catchy and moving soundtrack, the film itself is a wonder to look at. The cinematography is beautiful, the costumes are well-done, and again, come on: HUGH JACKMAN singing and dancing. What could be better?

Well, for one, not better, but almost as great, is Rebecca Ferguson as Jenny Lind. The lady is gorgeous, and while she actually doesn't sing her rendition of "Never Enough" (Loren Allred does), the passion and zeal she brings to her onstage performance, is one for the books. I could literally (and have) replay that one scene over and over. Zac Efron and Hugh Jackman also have a duet which is fun and witty and very creatively done.

The only reason I did not give it a "10", is probably an unpopular view, and I know I will amass a hugh (not a typo :)) number of thumbs down, but oh well: I did not care for Zendaya AT ALL. I think she was so very miscast. I do not think she looked pretty in the film (although after filming, I saw her giving a couple of interviews and she looked beautiful); I thought she had absolutely zero chemistry with Zac Efron; and lastly, both her acting and her voice are like chalk grating on a blackboard to me. I think Logan Browning would have been cuter in the role. That's just me though, although it did affect my thoughts on the film and my score.

All in all, WATCH IT if you have not yet done so. It is beautiful to look at and a (modern) masterpiece to the ears.
97 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Most Enjoyable Film Which Endlessly Pulls at the Corners of Your Face
7 April 2018
Who would have thought that the sequel to a much-loved classic would, in my opinion, turn into such a stand-alone powerhouse!?!

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle, does just that.

Not only is it a virtual non-stop ride of hilarity and laugh-out-loud moments, and it is, but the chemistry among the adult cast members is practically flawless and lends to the easy banter and overflowing, genius, COMEDIC DIALOGUE which just SHINES. Every look, every gesture, every note from The Rock, Kevin Hart and Jack Black are perfection in that at no time do you doubt they are who they are supposed to be. Karen Gillan is adorable and gorgeous at the same time. The obvious fun they are having, despite what I imagine to be uncomfortable filming locales, is palpable, and as an audience member, _if you allow yourself to be_, you WILL be swept up and transported by it.

So, why ANY low ratings?

While the first Jumanji was 'fun', underneath the fun, there were dark layers. There is none of that here and perhaps, this is where some of the disconnect from its detractors comes from. Unlike the original Jumanji, Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle is a fun, and funny, film throughout.

In closing, quite to the contrary of what a couple of reviewers are saying about Robin Williams, such as: 'he'd be rolling over in his grave (over this movie)', Robin Williams was one of those rare and amazingly special individuals who found joy and humor in most everything, and who chose to share that with those of us who are lucky enough to be witness to some of the favorites he left behind. Personally, I find it in very bad taste and verging on offensive, that those who seem to not share the capacity to laugh or live the way he did, or the ability to laugh with the rest of us, and who lack the gift of both being able to give or receive the very humor which exuded from Mr. Williams, would dare say he would be doing anything other than laughing riotously while munching on some popcorn and watching this film.

Thank you, Robin Williams, for the precursor which was so fantastic, it brought about an equally wonderful sequel.

You are missed.
231 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.