Reviews

Surprisingly moving.
21 August 2019
I accidentally saw "Katy Perry: Part of Me" in the theater in 3D. I took my two daughters (then 13 and 10 years old) to see a one day only screening of "Singin' in the Rain" It was sold out. I turned to them and asked if they wanted to see this movie instead. I'll never forget the look of shock/happiness on their faces. That aside, "Katy Perry: Part of Me" is a very good movie. It has good music and a very appealing (and brave ) Katy Perry. I like watching this movie every so often. Honorable mention: Grandma.
Death Wish 3 (1985)
Over-the-top fun.
20 August 2019
Am I laughing with "Death Wish 3" or laughing at it? I'm laughing with it. It's over-the-top in its craziness and violence but I don't think we're supposed to take it too seriously. This might not be saying much but "Death Wish 3" is easily the best of the "Death Wish" sequels. One thing that this movie has over Parts 1 & 2 is that the rape scenes aren't nearly as cringe worthy. I never felt the need to hit the fast forward button. "Death Wish 3" doesn't rank near the best of Charles Bronson's movies (not even close) but it is a lot of fun to watch. Honorable mention: the thug in the mob running down the street with a plunger in his hand.
Very funny.
20 August 2019
"The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell" is a solid 1960's comedy. This may be my favorite Bob Hope movie. It's a very funny movie. The jokes are great. The story is a great comedy plot. The supporting cast is very strong. All around "The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell" is a great way to spend 90 minutes. It's a lot of fun. Honorable Mention: a very dreamy Gina Lollobrigida.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top five most disappointing movies of all time.
20 August 2019
I remember really looking forward to seeing "Another 48 Hrs" when it first came out. I got to see it in the theater (MovieWorld, Douglaston, NY) and I thought it was okay. I still think it's okay but only when watched in a vacuum. You have to erase all knowledge of the original classic "48 Hrs". If you watch it as a true sequel, the plot doesn't make any sense. The whole "Iceman" is stupid and actually damages the impact of the original movie. As far as the acting goes, the supporting cast actually do a very nice job. The villains aren't given much to work with but everyone else is very good. Bernie Casey is excellent. He should have been in a lot more of the movie. As far as Eddie Murphy, Nick Nolte and director Walter Hill, they're all on auto-pilot. The real villain in movie is not the "Iceman" but the weak script. What a shame.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sidney Lumet's best movie.
19 August 2019
I know Sidney Lumet is considered a great director. He was a pretty good director that got lucky every once in a while. Lumet's okay/pretty bad movies outweigh his great ones by quite a bit. (Remember, he did that remake of "Gloria".) That said he hit a home run with "Family Business". This is not a perfect movie but it is an excellent one. Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick all deliver terrific performances. Hoffman is especially good. The rest of the cast is also really good. "Family Business" is on my regular rotation. It's great. Honorable mention: Rosanna DeSoto.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They don't make them like this anymore.
19 August 2019
"Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" is a perfect example of how great movies were in the 1970s. It's also one greatest drive-in movies ever made. They took that semi-genre and gave it all they had. The writing is very good with some terrific dialogue. The casting is perfect. The actors all give very good performances. It's also a great looking movie. And man, they sure do know how to wreck cars. This movie gets better with age. All these years ( and many viewings ) later, "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" stills packs a punch.
A satisfying watch.
18 August 2019
"The Mummy's Tomb" is an okay time killer. It takes a little time to get going but once it starts rolling it's pretty good. Its short running time (61 mins) helps. The cast all do their job well. There are a couple of nice, almost scary, moments. All the stuff with the fire at the end actually looks pretty dangerous. "The Mummy's Tomb" is worth an occasional watch. Honorable mention: a dreamy Elyse Knox.
True Romance (1993)
One of the !990's best movies.
18 August 2019
"True Romance" is a great movie. It's wildly entertaining. It's beautifully acted by almost everyone involved. "True Romance" has more than a handful of great scenes. A couple of those scenes are classics. Although he didn't direct it,"True Romance" is one of Quentin Tarantino's best movies. Honorable mention: Dennis Hopper.
Very entertaining.
18 August 2019
"Alita: Battle Angel" is a fun ride of a movie. For a movie like this to work you need to care about the characters. Alita grabs hold right from her first scene and she never lets go. Rosa Salazar gives a terrific performance as Alita. The rest of the cast is good as well. The action scenes are exciting. "Alita: Battle Angel" may go on a little too long but it never wears out its welcome. This is the first Robert Rodriguez movie in many years that deserves to be seen more than once. I hope they make a sequel.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined by one scene.
17 August 2019
I'm not a prude when it comes to movie violence but I don't like my nose rubbed in it. Quentin Tarantino rubs the audience's nose it it with his "Reservoir Dogs". I was digging this movie until that scene. After that scene I lost all interest in what was going on. QT hit the "Off" switch in my head. I didn't care anymore. What a shame.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Caddyshack II (1988)
Watchable but not very funny.
17 August 2019
"Caddyshack II" is not a very funny movie but it does have a few laughs. Although I enjoy the original "Caddyshack" it is not sacred territory to me. The idea of a "Part 2" doesn't bother me but "Caddyshack II" is not nearly as good as the first one. Jackie Mason is a poor substitute for Rodney Dangerfield. Mason has a few good lines but he's in way too much of the movie. When the star of your movie is Jackie Mason, you're in trouble. The rest of the cast is mostly fine. Chevy Chase is funny. Dan Aykroyd is not. "Caddyshack II" is an okay but mostly forgettable movie. Honorable mention: Robert Stack.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This should have been really good.
17 August 2019
"Blame It on Rio" doesn't work. What a shame. There are seeds of a really good movie inside this okay movie. I don't know what wrong. An easy target is Michelle Johnson. Although she is quite dreamy, she's in over her head in the acting department. She can't keep up with the pros that surround her. On the plus side, I love movies that deal with forgiveness. "Blame It on Rio" is an okay but mostly forgettable movie.
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Top ten of all time.
16 August 2019
"Pulp Fiction" is one of the greats. Why does this movie work so well? I don't know, movie magic I guess. It's impossible to explain to the layman how great this movie is. It has a great cast saying some of the greatest dialogue ever written for the screen. It's filled with great performances. John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson have never been better (and that says a lot). "Pulp Fiction" is not a perfect movie but it comes real close. It never gets old. It's a true classic.
Rock solid western.
15 August 2019
"Winchester '73" is a top-shelf western. It's a beautiful looking, exciting movie. All of the members of its solid cast, including a dreamy Shelley Winters, give great performances. "Winchester '73" is moves fast with very little, if any, downtime. It builds nicely to its classic, edge-of-your-seat climax. This movie never fails to hit the spot. Honorable mention: John McIntire.
The Big Fix (1978)
Dreyfuss is good but the movie isn't.
12 August 2019
I am a fan of the 1970s semi-genre of throw-back style detective movies. My favorites are Robert Benton's "The Late Show" and Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye". "The Big Fix" doesn't come close to those films. It's watchable but only barely. Richard Dreyfuss does a nice job but the story is weak and uninteresting. Dreyfuss' character is strong but he's surrounded by a bunch of bland or unnecessary supporting characters. "The Big Fix" does have a few nice moments but not enough to make it worth while. Dishonorable mention: the annoying Aunt.
More smiles than laughs.
12 August 2019
Robert Stevenson directed quite a few great Disney movies but "The Monkey's Uncle" isn't one of them. It's an okay watch, at best. The human cast is good. They all turn in nice performances. The monkey, however, isn't so hot. All of his scenes are pretty dumb. The nice cast is let down by a weak script. There is very little plot and very few real laughs. "The Monkey's Uncle" is an okay time killer if you're in the mood for a "vintage" Disney life action movie.
Always hits the spot.
11 August 2019
"Who's the Man?" is a very easy watch. It's a funny movie. It has a good story and it's filled with a lot of funny characters. It has a great running time (85 min) and a lot of good music. Ed Lover and Dr Dre are really funny together. If they were allowed to make a few more movies, they may have joined the ranks of the great comedy teams. Unfortunately, we'll never know. Everyone else in the cast is good/very good. Jim Moody and Denis Leary are two of the stand-outs. I should watch "Who's the Man?" more often. Honorable mention: the final shot.
Roxanne (1987)
May be the greatest love story of them all.
10 August 2019
"Roxanne" is a one of the most satisfying movies ever made. It has a perfect cast delivering terrific performances across the board. It's location photography looks great. Every time I watch "Roxanne" it makes me want to live in that town. Steve Martin is one of the greats. Nobody makes a love story like Martin. He's in a class by himself. "Roxanne" manages to strike a perfect balance between laughs and romance. It was great when I saw it in the theater (Movieworld, Diuglaston, NY) and it's still great now. Honorable mention: Fred Willard.
One of the greats.
8 August 2019
"The Man from Laramie" may be a perfect movie. There's so much too say but there's not enough time. There are more than one great scene in this movie in which Jimmy Stewart does not even appear. That says a lot. Anthony Mann hit a home run with this movie. "The Man from Laramie" is not for the faint of heart. It's a mean, tough western. It's shockingly violent. Jimmy Stewart gives an excellent performance. The rest of the cast is equally good. "The Man from Laramie" is great stuff all around. It's one of the top five westerns of all time. Honorable mention: a dreamy Cathy O'Donnell.
A near miss.
5 August 2019
I've always enjoyed "Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling" but it does have more than its fair share of flaws. The movie just doesn't work as well as it should have. Maybe Richard Pryor should have handed the direction off to a seasoned veteran rather than trying to do it himself. I don't know. The alter-ego stuff works well in some scenes and not that well in others. Visually the alter-ego is almost never convincing. "Jo Jo Dancer" is well acted but it seems to be longer than it actually is. The scenes with young Jo Jo are great. The "accident" scene is heartbreaking. Much of the stand up stuff isn't that good, especially Jo Jo's strip scene (ouch). I still watch this movie from time to time but it's just not completely satisfying. (I saw "Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling" in the theater when it first came out.)
Always an easy watch.
4 August 2019
I missed "Corvette Summer" when it came out in the theaters. I wasn't interested in it for some reason. Shame on me. It took me many years to catch up with it. I'm glad I finally did. It's a fun movie. It has beautiful location photography. It has very good performances from the entire cast. It's story is unusual and takes several turns that I did not expect. It has quite a few exciting moments. Even the disco style music is fun. They certainly don't make them like this anymore and that's too bad. "Corvette Summer" always hits the spot.
A comedy classic.
4 August 2019
"Lost in America" is a wildly funny movie. There are so many funny scenes it is impossible to pick out my favorite. Albert Brooks hit a home run with this one. It is his finest hour. His best movie, hands down. It's one of the best comedies ever filmed. "Lost in America" doesn't have any downtime. It's filled with great performances. It doesn't overstay its welcome (91 min). "Lost in America" is great stuff all around. It's one of the top twenty movies of all time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than "Open Water".
3 August 2019
Shame on me but I never watch Shark Week. I have nothing against it but it's just not for me. A friend told me I should watch "Capsized: Blood in the Water". She liked it a lot. I liked it too. I thought a was a very tense movie. It's also tragic because it's a true story. It did remind me of 2003's "Open Water" but it's a lot better. "Capsized" is well acted and moves quickly. Despite its limited budget, this movie packs a punch. I think the reviewers on IMBD are being too hard on it. "Capsized: Blood in the Water" is worth a watch.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never gets old.
31 July 2019
For some reason when I haven't seen "Sleeping Beauty" in a while I start to remember it differently. I remember it as not being as good as some of the other Disney classics. Nothing could be further from the truth. "Sleeping Beauty" is a very good movie. It's a lot of fun and very exciting. As I watched the final "brawl for it all" tonight I was almost on the edge of my seat. The short running time is a big plus for this movie. I saw this movie in the theater on a re-release in the 1970s. I wish they would re-release it again.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A "Can't Miss" movie that misses.
31 July 2019
"The Deadly Trackers" has a terrific cast. Put them in any other western and it would be great. For some reason this movie isn't so good. The most annoying thing in the movie, hands down, is Neville Brand's metal hand. It's just so stupid that it's wildly distracting. That's not the only problem with "The Deadly Trackers". This movie suffers from a cheapness to the production. It looks like a low budget spaghetti western. That may have been the type of western that they were trying to make but it just doesn't work. What a shame. "The Deadly Trackers" could have been great. (Just for the record, I enjoyed this movie tonight more than I did the last time I saw it. I'll give it another go in a few months. See what happens.)