Reviews

Nancy Drew (2019– )
LOL at old people reviewing this after one episode
13 October 2019
The CW is very open about their demographic being 15-24 year olds - not sure why/what all the 40-55 demo was expecting when they watched the pilot episode and then scurried over here to compain that it's not a direct spin off from the books they read in elementary school. This show is a reimagining for a new teen generation being stylized off the success from Riverdale, Secret Circle, etc. Also, I wish IMDB would make everyone watch more than one episode before being allowed to review.
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goliath (2016– )
One of the best shows I've ever watched
10 October 2019
Season one was a great court drama with complex character development.

Season two was a heart racing thrill ride for different reasons. It's different but I don't think it was bad. It explores more psychopathic elements and veers more toward Hannibal/Silence of the Lambs, etc. It's hard to improve from the first season, so what they do is take some of the same elements but make it different. I get why some people don't like season two - because they didn't realize they were signing up for the more deviant elements - but I would not call it bad. Just different.

Season three just came out - haven't watched yet but can't wait.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crawl (2019)
Things that are not realistic in this film
30 September 2019
1) Having a basement in Florida 2) Girl getting whipped around by her leg from an Aligators mouth get still walks on it with no issue. Later swims like a mermaid with it severely injured. 3) Alligator steps directly onto cell phone 4) Dad happens to place heavy furniture on top of hatch 5) Prop motor somehow gets jammed by moss 6) Gators do not hunt in packs 7) There's a huge drainpipe that just leads into a basement? 8) Aliligators swim right past people without smelling them? 9) Humans swim faster than multiple gators 10) Girl asks dad if he's okay with his arm missing. He says 'yeah' 11) Despite being soaking wet, girl is able to light flare after already using several others
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Midsommar (I) (2019)
Folk horror art
29 September 2019
Atmospheric movie in the vein of Melancholia. If you are not a fan of Melancholia, I would skip. This is more Tales from the Darkside type horror - preying on a viewers sense of normalcy. Beautifully shot and textured - the dread is carried within it's foreboding themes. If you don't like this review, you will not like this movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bob Hearts Abishola (2019– )
Another Chuck Lorre laugh track show
25 September 2019
Show is not for me. As soon as I hear a laugh track I know the humor is going to be wholesome or least common denominator. Definitely a show geared at the under 15 or over 50 crowd. Fans of shows like Everyone loves Ramon, Mike & Molly, Mom, etc. will likely enjoy this. Reminds me of a TGIF type show from the '90's.
14 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Heretics (2017)
If you like good movies then please move on
18 September 2019
If you are a fan of good acting, solid plot, attention to detail, rational actions and bad Canadian accents - this is the movie for you.
Creepy AF (2017– )
Fake AF
9 September 2019
Terrible acting. The brief history of the places are real but you're better off reading Wikipedia for the info. This is one of those "did you just hear that? I'm freaked out right now" type of shows with reality TV style acting.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I made this film I would find a new hobby
17 August 2019
That girls vocal fry - holy jeez. I do want the drugs the black guy was on. The filmmaker is a crazy tweaker. Dale saw the childrens. The coolest thing about the film was seeing the lake drained.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like a comedic attempt at Lifetime movies - this is your jam
2 August 2019
I'm guessing a lot of these reviews are working for the production company in some format. Poor script, unbelievable acting, reality TV style editing and straight to video melodrama. Comical soundtrack and weird camera angles - I just have no idea how this got made or why Lowe and Reynolds signed up for this aside from a favor to someone involved.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People You May Know (I) (2017)
More of a RomCom then advertised
29 June 2019
I thought the film did a good job despite working around typical RomCom plots and cliché's. There was decent character development and arcs in addition to some realistic themes such as regretting the past and covering up insecurities. Those who just see it as a social media film are only looking at it at the absolute top layer.
The Unspoken (2015)
Yawn. Been done much better in other movies.
24 June 2019
Poor acting. Dumb jump scares. Just because you play loud startling sounds doesn't make something scary. Pretty clichéd script. Even when they explained what was going on at the end I still had no idea what was going on.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had me guessing
19 June 2019
Not sure what other reviewers are complaining about. It's a somewhat artsy thriller with several twists and turns. There's no hidden agendas that I could pick up on other than the effects of manipulation, etc.
Summer '03 (2018)
Realistic and true
17 June 2019
One of the most real descriptions of what teenage girls go through during a pivotal summer. Raging hormones, rebellious acting out. The brother Dylan was also hilarious. If there was one thing that seemed slightly less realistic it was the fact that it was so easy for high school students to get alcohol. The language might be off putting for some of the more prudish however this is how a lot of high school girls talk whether you want to admit it or not.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Searching (III) (2018)
Slightly better than a Lifetime movie
13 June 2019
It's frustrating how clueless the father is when it comes to some technology. Also - what parent/child relationship that is that close aren't friends on facebook/instagram/twitter, etc.?

Overall okay movie with very frustrating characteristics. Some parts are quite predictable despite it's best attempts to throw curveballs.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Little Italy (2018)
Let's list them
13 May 2019
-Fake NY accents for movie that takes place in Toronto -Use of non-Italian leads. Emma is one of the least Italian looking people they could have cast -The use of the rain machine creating an unrealistic scene - also, pouring shots in a downpour? -Cops were going to eat pizza as evidence?
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete Cliche
4 April 2019
I found myself nodding off - not a good sign for an action movie. I thought the premise sounded good - but I found myself guessing everything that would happen in the movie because it's all been done before. The writing was elementary and unrealistic and the acting and editing were both subpar. I guess there's a reason that this movie took 13 years to get made. It gets a couple of stars for a twist. Hopefully the sequel they are making is better.
Coin Heist (2017)
Throwback attempt
27 March 2019
Has some elements of that classic 80's teen movie however has a ton of flaws. The teacher character is unlikable and it's amazing how these 16 year olds can pass as professional adults on multiple occasions. Movie will require a little suspension of belief to enjoy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Read the title of the movie before watching
23 March 2019
If you came in watching 'Haunting on Fraternity Row' and expected anything different than what this was, then shame on you. I would say that the deaths could have been more creative and we could have used more gore.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't understand the hype
14 March 2019
Writing this after 6 episodes and entertaining the idea of quitting right now. I find myself utterly distracted. This is like a gothic version of this is us. Overly dramatic. Drawn out storylines and conversations. Jump scare tactics. I really wanted to like it but it just couldn't hold my interest. I found a lot of the characters insufferable. If you don't care about the family dynamics, there really is not much left.
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Favourite (2018)
Different type of period piece
25 February 2019
I have no idea why everyone thought this was going to be a nice comedy. It's a period piece based on manipulation with dark comedic overtones and sharp witted tongues. It's an artful look at some of the behind the scenes lifestyles of the time. The movies is based on true characters and true events. No one can say for certain how physically intimate the women were - but there was plenty of speculation that the story is not a stretch.

In the end, I found the movie to be exactly what I thought it would be coming into it. If anything, I was surprised with the stylization. I am not sure what some of the other reviewers were looking for that came away disappointed. Perhaps they didn't invest any time into understanding what this movie was going to be about.
Black Panther (2018)
Fast & the Furious: African Drift
24 February 2019
David S. Lee was the only redeeming part of this film. While I did like some of the 007 level technology - it was another movie overburdened with special effects and overproduced action scenes. This really was the Fast & the Furious of the Marvel movies. As far as the Oscar nomination - it was a film to keep the commoner interested in the show. No different than when Mad Max was nominated in 2016. Obviously the politics behind the nomination didn't hurt.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fam (2019)
NOPE
6 February 2019
Nina Dobrev should not have been cast for comedy. It's painful to watch her delivery. Another laugh-track show that is meant for people who aren't capable of determining what is funny on their own. I've seen worst shows make it being supported by the bottom 10% - and that has to be what CBS is shooting for here. Sad that that's their ceiling.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deadly Class (2018–2019)
Not for everyone
6 February 2019
It's The Magicians, only with Assassins instead of magic and an 80's backdrop. A few of the characters try a little too hard to act out their comic counterparts (overacting). I'm two episodes in - I'll keep watching but i'm not hooked just yet.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Effects did not age well
3 January 2019
Watching this film 15 years after it was filmed - the CGI is so primitive and laughable. They could have done more with actual horror / creepiness. Overall, a pretty blah movie that looks like a b-movie with the glowing eyes and fake animals.
37 (2014)
Straight to TV type
29 December 2018
Very much similar to a Lifetime movie, however still watchable. Not by any means a great film but also not bad enough to turn off before it finishes.