Reviews

1,182 Reviews
Cosmos (2019)
THESE LOSER WEAVER BROTHERS KEEP REPORTING ALL THE HONEST LOW REVIEWS FOR DELETION!
6 May 2021
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK TO SEE IF YOURS HAS BEEN DELETED TO REPOST, AND REPORT THIS ACCOUNT!

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Don't get tricked like I did, this film is not even worth anything above a 5/10, and it's pathetic to see the daily fake 7, 8, 9 and 10/10's from new users only rating this film.

It goes to show you the desperation the Weaver brothers have to fool their audience.

The score was too much, the scenes were way too long/extended, and the slow pacing made this feel like a 3+ hours of boredom.

The directing was decent, but that's about it. This screenplay should have had 80% edited and chopped to the cutting room floor.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story well shot and told, but far too long and slow.
6 May 2021
Newb filmmaker and writer Astrid Rondero, along with newb writer and director Fernanda Valadez - with two prior short films and this being her first full length feature film, present us with a uniquely told story, that feels as real as it gets. The cinematography is excellent, and Valadez's direction and choice of close-ups, angles, blurs, etc, make it feel like your are walking in the mother's shoes.

This is by no means anything close to a Hollywood-style production, but instead uses tons of scenery and some flashbacks to tell an eerie story, as you travel throughout the film, in the mother's shoes. The casting and performances were plain with nothing exceptional, albeit feeling that much more authentic. The score was subtle and fitting.

My biggest issue was that a normally comfortable 95 min runtime, felt like 3+ hours with the forever-long and dragged out (and in most cases unnecessary) scenes. The pacing couldn't be any slower. I get that the filmmakers were trying to get you invested in the feel for the story, but there just wasn't enough substance to fill 95 mins, even if the pacing was fast. I'm sure many can handle slowly paced films, but I'm not one of those people. I feel at least 40 mins could/should have been trimmed off - bits here and there from pretty much every scene, and the pacing sped up, and it would've been an outstanding short film, told in the same manner, just faster without making the viewer (me) impatient. You can pretty much fast forward 70% of the "traveling" portions, and end up with the same results.

Nevertheless, and outstanding production from newb international filmmakers, and it's a story that needs to be seen, told in its unique way. If you're patient, you will love this film, but it wont be a "must see again" film. It's a 7/10 from me.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ringside (2021)
5 May 2021
...but I wont because it's really bad. I know this because out of the current 7 reviews, all 10/10'S are bogus new account high reviews, with the average rating being 8.0/10 lol? So this is right up there with the top films in the world? Not even close. So since the filmmakers didn't have faith in their own film to resort to these deceitful tactics with their bogus reviews, it's clearly a terrible film. Huge pass, and thanks for the head's up Mr. Twyman, so I didn't have to waste 120 mins of my life.
Mr. Weekend (2020)
5 May 2021
...but I wont because it's really bad. I know this because out of the current 7 reviews, all are bogus new account high reviews, with the average rating being 8.9/10 lol? So this is right up there with the top films in the world? Not even close. So since the filmmakers didn't have faith in their own film to resort to these deceitful tactics with their bogus reviews, it's clearly a terrible film. Huge pass, and thanks for the head's up Mr. Woodward, so I didn't have to waste 90 mins of my life.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5 May 2021
...but I wont because it's really bad. I know this because out of the current 11 reviews, ten are all 10's and one 9, so since the filmmakers didn't have faith in their own film to resort to these deceitful tactics with their bogus reviews, it's clearly a terrible film. Huge pass, and thanks for the head's up Mr. Johnson, so I didn't have to waste 90 mins of my life.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Virtuoso (2021)
The most boring, convoluted, incoherent nonsense hitman story ever written.
4 May 2021
I'm curious how anyone involved with the making of this film saw the final cut and said "awesome, let's get it out there!"

I get that writers James Wolf and Nick Stagliano (also the director) are newb filmmakers, but this is just a waste of everyone's (the viewers and those involved with the film) time. A 5th grader could've written a better screenplay. It had plot and technical issues galore. There were scenes that where irrelevant and/or made no sense. It was predictable. It was implausible. It was ridiculous. And you can't just use the word "noir" as an excuse to describe this mess. The 110 runtime was excessive for the little substance the story had, and the slow pacing got to the point of making this film annoying to watch.

The cinematography and performances were the only somewhat redeeming qualities. Sad to say this film doesn't do Hopkins any favors on his resume. It's a very generous 3/10 from me.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, the critics went hard on this one.
2 May 2021
I was expecting a lackluster film the way all the critics tore this apart, but I quite enjoyed it more that expected.

I'm not sure how accurate the screenplay is from Clancy's novel, but it certainly had some continuity, plot and technical issues. They weren't huge, and I feel there were also issues with the scene editing that may have looked as screenplay quirks.

The story itself was also a little convoluted, but it still flowed nicely with constant tension and suspense, and the awesome action made most of the quirks insignificant. The 109 min runtime was just right as was the pacing. Jordan's performance wasn't the best, but still good, as were all the rest of the performances.

Overall, an enjoyable action flick, and a well deserved solid 8/10 from me. If you're a fan of this genre, you wont be disappointed, and the extra clip midway through the closing credits will make you want more.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mortal Kombat (2021)
Lost potential
30 April 2021
Not sure why newb filmmakers (writer, director) tackled such a big production, but their lack of experience shows. It was slickly made, but hollow. Poor cast direction made almost every actor look amateur. The story was bland and too long with lots of filler and little substance. Don't get me started on the huge plot issues and convoluted scenes. The action and gore scenes were the only positives.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Sky: White Lion (2021)
Season 1, Episode 13
Did you know...
28 April 2021
...that from the time someone knocks on the front door and walks to the back. If you're hiding behind a couch, it's more than enough time to escape with a body, in your car?

Seriously writers? I like the new format of separate new conflicts here and there, but at least don't leave such ridiculous plot holes bigger than the donut hole at Randy's Donuts in Inglewood California. The new open-concept motel room was a nice touch though.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trigger Point (2021)
It's a shame how easily this could've been so much better.
26 April 2021
Think of this being a low-budget upstate NYC James Bond B-grade film. It had all the right elements to make it work, but failed in the screenplay - that with minor tweaks, could've been awesome.

Directing by Brad Turner was great, as was the cinematography. Even the score for a B film was good. The set locations were excellent (loved the house tech). The casting was great, and the performances, although somewhat flat, worked well in creating tension and suspense.

The 85 min runtime flew by, even with the somewhat slow pacing, in part from the perfect scene lengths, decent action, and story progression. I would've liked another 15-20 mins of action and character clarity, as well for some parts of the story, along with a little faster pacing.

The story's premise, although nothing new, still worked well by creating a well balanced focus on both the protagonist and the antagonist. But there were just too many unfulfilled and convoluted plot and technical issues, as well as these random characters popping in scenes with zero character background e.g. The school teacher.

I'm guessing writer Michael Vickerman was trying to create some type of vague character and sub-plot backgrounds that would be exploited in a part 2 of this film, but went overboard with the vagueness to the point you'll feel underwhelmed and wanting more by the end.

Overall, I actually enjoyed this film more than I thought, and although it wasn't a huge box-office success, I do hope they come out with a part 2. If you like this genre, it's a decent one-time watch on a "Popcorn & Movie Sunday".
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of filler, very little substance.
26 April 2021
This film was so bad, even karma stepped in to get rid of all the fake high reviews lol. It's 84 minutes of cringe-worthy useless dialogue that tries to set some type of stage, that ultimately collapses on its own weight.

It tries to make you care about every character, but it's just dull and boring, and does not give you any real reason to care. And the fact it just keeps dragging on with all the useless dialogue, I literally was grinding my teeth waiting for something to happen. And what did happen, was a plot that I'd expect a 5th grade drama class to come up with, especially the ending.

The entire story was sloppy, un-convincing, convoluted, cliched, boring, and riddled with plot and technical issues. Then adding some random gun statistic at the end to make you somewhat care from what you just saw, was the icing on the cake how bad the story was.

The casting and performances were adequate, and maybe would've been better if I cared about any of them. The pacing dragged out so bad, that the 84 min runtime felt like 3 hours, with no reward at the finish line. Where any of the scenes even edited, because there should've been lots of film on the cutting room floor. This story "may" have worked as a short film.

I get that this is newb writer, director and producer Lili Matta's fourth filmmaking credit, but she should've at the very least had a seasoned writer go over her screenplay.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, this film was pointless and bad
26 April 2021
This should've been called Night of the Geriatrics, because they were the only entertaining part of this film.

This was horribly written by (newb) Ernesto Melara and Matthew Eason, and just as poorly directed by Joth Riggs. With the exception of the inexperienced Melara, Eason and Riggs have no excuse as experienced filmmakers putting out this garbage. Even the use of the word "Sicario" in the tittle is an insult to all the Sicarios out there, because these guys were a bunch of clowns, especially when the geriatric squad was better than them.

The slowly paced 82 min runtime felt never-ending, considering 80% of this film was the most useless, pointless, and complete waste of film with scenes filled with constant cat and mouse in and out of endless rooms and hiding places. This boring, long and dragged out story that was riddled with useless dialogue and plot and technical issues, needed at least 60 min of film ending up on the cutting room floor, to make this a somewhat watchable short film. And even then, it's not like this is some new and genius story; it's been done many times before, and way better.

The performances were decent, especially considering Riggs most likely failed to direct his cast properly. But casting Costas Mandylor to try and give this (barely) B-grade film some appeal, and then giving him at best 15 mins of screen time, was a joke. The score was actually decent for a B film, and the cinematography was ok.

So this basically boring and pointless film is a waste of time to watch. I feel bad to those that funded this mess. It's a very generous 3/10 from me, all going towards the entertaining geriatrics squad.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An out of the ordinary different episode about the current reality
24 April 2021
I can already see by the current wannabe critics complaining about this episode being "woke" etc. Considering this show has been doing great not being "woke", this was a much needed episode imo.

Many people who still have a job, or even maybe temporarily laid off, does not compare to business owners losses, especially restaurants. This is reality, and many don't care to acknowledge it, but at least listen and don't be ignorant on how hard these times are, for many, in many different ways.

Great needed episode, bravo to the writers. A well deserved 9/10 from me.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adverse (2020)
Slow, boring, poorly written, directed and acted by Metcalf
24 April 2021
Seems the lame filmmaker/crew keeps reporting all honest low reviews for deletion with their bogus high ones. Make sure your honest review hasn't been deleted - repost and report this films' account! Reposting:

Award wining filmmaker? This was beyond bad. This mess of a film was slow, boring, long and a story that's been told many times before, but much better. The writing, directing and acting was horrible by Brian Metcalf. The only convincing role was Mikey Rourke. Very disappointed. Don't bother with this one.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stowaway (2021)
Excellent production, just too long for its little story
23 April 2021
I hate slow paced movies, and this one was just that, but the tension that starts midpoint just kept me invested.

This was filmed beautifully, with a perfect score and excellent casting and performances. But the story lacked any real excitement or thrills, and there just wasn't enough of a story for a 116 min runtime.

It needed more conflict. It also failed in explaining how that guy got stuck and screwed into a panel! That's important when trying to establish credibility in a film, and imo was just lazy writing.

Nevertheless, as a hard core sci-fi (but was it?) fan, I saw it through to the end, which was another disappointment and again, lazy writing. At the end credits, I came up with 3 different better endings within a minute.

Still giving it a very generous 7/10 for the performances, score and overall production. Just wish the writing had more effort put into it.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Army of One (2020)
Amateur hour
22 April 2021
Novice writer, producer and director Stephen Durham was horrible in directing his scenes, and for the most part, his cast properly. The outdoor scenes felt like a 5th grade drama class with camcorders were attempting to capture the action. However, the indoor scenes were fairly decent. The writing was atrocious with major plot and technical issues. Some scenes were too long and/or unnecessary. Don't even get me started on the useless sheriff and this film's ridiculous ending. The 90 min runtime felt much longer with the terrible pacing and long/useless scenes. This could've easily been a short film and been more enjoyable, I think. The acting was so phony and hollow; either way too overbearing, or falling asleep-ish. Ellen Hollman was the only "somewhat" convincing actor, except during most of the unbelievable and terribly choreographed action scenes. Never mind the bogus high reviews, this is a very generous 1/10 from me.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vanquish (2021)
A seasoned writer and director made this garbage?
22 April 2021
This is the worst directed and written film I've seen in a very long time. I've seen better 5th grade drama class productions.

I'm also pretty sure I've developed Epilepsy from watching the worst cinematography, overuse of horrible high contrast bright flashy colors and filters, and out-of-focus slow-mo and stretched shots.

Literally, anyone with hardly any film experience can do better, and I've seen amateur filmmakers come up with blockbuster results, compared to the mess experienced writer and director George Gallo gave us. And it's such a huge disappointment considering he's written greats such as The Bad Boys franchise. The story was lame, convoluted, predictable and riddled with plot and technical issues. Even the dialogue was so ridiculous, repetitive and childish. Seriously, who watched the final cut and said "that's great, let's go to market"?

*In a Morgan Freeman voice* "Even I couldn't save this film". I feel bad for Freeman, and hope he got paid well for doing this. Ruby Rose was, well, as Ruby Rose usually is, with that Kristen Stewart fixed facial expression. I'm giving this a very generous 3/10, mainly out of pity that Freeman has to keep this mess on his resume.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic battles, lousy story.
20 April 2021
This has to be the worst character development of all monster flicks, with a story riddled with plot and technical issues. It was predictable and uninteresting with a convoluted and childish plot. The 113 mins can easily be skipped to just the epic battles, you wont miss anything in a story that is barely there. A generous 6/10 from me.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Courier (2020)
A well-cast one-time watch, especially if you're interested in these type of topics.
20 April 2021
I feel the story was too slow without enough substance to fill up the 112 min runtime. The premise of the story just wasn't interesting enough to be that long, and it should've been sped up and trimmed down to no more than 80 min runtime. Casting and performances were great, and probably the main reason I didn't fall asleep. Considering it was put together by fairly newb filmmakers, I'm still giving it a generous 7/10.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well told true story, ruined by horrible directing.
19 April 2021
Why would they hire actress Elisabeth Röhm, to direct this film, when she's never been behind a camera before? This was such a troubling and horrific true story event, it needed professionals to tell it. The screenplay was on point, but Röhm's failure to direct her cast and scenes properly, really failed this film. Performances were adequate to decent, but that was strictly from the merits of the actors following a screenplay. Stefanie Scott's performance got better as the movie progressed, but I'm sure that was due to her getting comfortable with her character. Even Judd Nelson's performance was stale and amateurish, that with a better director, he would've shined. Had a seasoned director been involved, this could've been much more gut-wrenching and epic film. Nevertheless, it's a story that needed to be told, and I'm glad it was; It was a bold move for Lifetime to produce this. I just wish it was told in a better way. It's a generous 6/10 from me.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody (I) (2021)
Better not call Saul, John Wick's uncle.
16 April 2021
Writer Derek Kolstad, the creator of the John Wick franchise (no surprise there), gives us a fun, funny and action packed thrill ride that was... "A bit excessive...but glorious.", as said by Christopher Lloyd's character. And what a ride it was.

I don't say this much, but the normally comfortable 90 min runtime and it's perfect pacing, wasn't enough for me... I wanted more. Bob Odenkirk played his part perfectly, and for that matter, casting of all, was on point, and it was great to see the legendary Christopher Lloyd have this much fun.

Directing by Ilya Naishuller was decent, but I feel the slow-mo was a bit over-used unnecessarily, and some action scenes that were too fast, could've used that technique. The soundtrack was good, and the cinematography excellent.

If Covid got you down, this is what the doctor recommends to bring you back up. A well deserved 9/10 and I'll be watching it again - at least one more time!
257 out of 361 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shock Wave 2 (2020)
A non-stop action blockbuster production
13 April 2021
Director Herman Yau presented one heck of an outstanding production with excellent directing and cinematography. The writing had a few plot and technical issues, and for the most part was predictable. I feel some filler scenes could've been cut down or out to make the 120 min runtime closer to 100, based on the amount of substance in the storyline. The performances were all on point and convincing, and the fights scenes were perfectly choreographed. The V/SFX were actually quite impressive for the most part, with just a few sloppy CGI scenes. I found the score to be a little cheesy and overbearing, especially in the beginning. Otherwise, it was a fun thrill ride, worth seeing if you're into this type of action films. A well deserved 8/10 from me.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thunder Force (2021)
Haters gonna hate
10 April 2021
Look, it's nothing spectacular, and the writing was cheese, but it was still funny. If you're a fan of McCarthy and Spencer, it a great fun and funny popcorn flick. All these wannabe critics giving this 1's and 2's need to give their heads a shake; it was a big production and it was fun and funny. It makes for even a better watch knowing that McCarthy's husband wrote and directed this - and he's no seasoned filmmaker, and the fact that McCarthy and Spencer are actual long time BFF's. They must've all had a blast making this. It's a well deserved 7/10 from me.
8 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unforgettable (2011–2016)
I finally figured it out
6 April 2021
Something about this show had an annoying tic, and I couldn't put my finger on it. Well, I finally figured it out. Think; you just changed your babies diaper, and all of a sudden you hear a giggle, then they get all serious, stare into space, and do a little pucker thing with their lips. They are peeing! THAT is the look the beautiful Poppy Montgomery makes when she's remembering a detail. And I just can't get past that. It's a decent idea/concept, but going up against the likes of The Mentalist, this starts to look like a comedy. Great performances, decent directing, but there's nothing new and different in the stories of similar shows. Then add that look... I can't watch this show any more. It's a generous 5/10 from me.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad and so cheese it was funny
4 April 2021
Did a 5th grade drama class write and produce this mess? Nope, they would've done much better.

I feel so bad for Sizemore, they clearly cast him to give appeal to their B-grade film, but even he couldn't get it past the F-grade. Firstly, casting him as a scientist - with a liquor cabinet as big as the equipment shelf, was the biggest joke of all. I mean, poor guy, I'm sure he wanted to drink non stop for real, and was hoping for some action, but instead tried his best with some scientific lingo and equipment, and sitting in a chair with a walkie talkie for 95% of the film.

Then they go and drop hottie Christina Licciardi into an ice hole, so we don't get to see her after the first 5-10 mins, but instead, get to see horrible acting by amateur p0rnstar Emily Bloom trying to become an actress aka Tania Fox for the rest of the film.

But the worst, was the "award-winning for worst screenplay" mess by newb writer Ryan Ebert. It was mainly 90 minutes of treacherous back and forth nonsense plot-hole riddled scenes with the driving of two cars with 1980's quality CGI of slipping and swerving, and in a part of an airplane with the wimp boyfriend, and with Sizemore the entire time (apparently communicating with one heck of a long range walkie-talkie) with dialogue by all that, well, a 5th grader could write better. And it's not like this type of story hasn't been told hundreds of times before, all much better.

Maximilian Elfeldt's directing and editing was adequate, for a B film. The score was surprisingly bearable for a B film. The cinematography was the only decent quality - for a B film. I'm still giving it a generous 3/10, going to Sizemore, as I do feel bad he got dragged into this, and to the laughs I had for how bad this was, AND to whoever lost money funding this mess. I mean seriously, who said "that's a wrap", approved the final cut, and went to distribution thinking this will be anything above a 2/10 rating?
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.