Reviews

Hellboy (2019)
Brutal Fail
22 January 2020
Terrible story, cheap looking, terrible humor. terrible dialogues, boring action - Hellboy 2019 is that bad like many reviews describe: compared to the two Hellboy movies by Mr. del Toro this one is a total disaster. They even have a bad soundtrack and many scenes look like made for tv only. Save your money and time and (re)watch the old ones - you be warned.
Hellboy (2004)
The One and Only Hellboy
22 January 2020
I had to write this review - Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army are a tasty and funny dish with strong visuals, some special superheroes and a bunch of fine antagonists: Guillermo del Toro did a really fine job here and Ron Perlman is the one and only Hellboy. Both movies of Mr. del Toro are superior to that new one directed by Neil Marshall in 2019 - even Milla Jovovich as the evil witch couldn't save that weak piece - just wondering why a company or producer bothered in making that one... Anyway, watch the only real Hellboy and get a fiery joyride to hell.
Black Sunday (1960)
Still a Fine Act of Horror
19 January 2020
One of those old horror movies that every aficionado of the art of horror should watch at least once in his or her lifetime. La maschera del demonio aka The Mask of Satan aka Black Sunday (censored US version back in the day) is a fine movie that is shot well and got some nice thrilling moments, and on top we get young Barbara Steele. If a cocktail of witchcraft, a curse, a return from the dead and revenge sound tasty to you, take your bite.
Labyrinth (1986)
Aged Well
19 January 2020
In my younger years, as I watched Labyrinth for the first time, the movie was okay but I didn't enjoy it much (I liked Dark Crystal from 1982 a lot more, maybe the comparsion with that masterpiece clouded my reception of Labyrinth). Now, a many years later, I rewatched this one on some tv channel and I was pleasantly surprised - it is really an eye-candy to see the visual design and settings against all those modern green screen/CGi fixes that mostly still look somewhat extremly steril compared to real settings. Anyway, Labyrinth got a nice story, and David Bowie and young Connelly give us a nice trip into some weird dreamland: better than any Peter Pan movie adaption this is one more time an extremely fine work by Mr. Henson. Thumbs up - watch if you are into fantasy and fairy tales and still didn't make a trip into the labyrinth.
Maggie (I) (2015)
Fine One
16 January 2020
Finally, Mr. Schwarzenegger got also a zombie/virus movie in his portfolio, and like some other icons of action movies (Stallone, Van Damme), he shows once more that he actually can act and not just beat up some dudes. All in all Maggie is a nice addition to the zombie genre with focus on drama. Also we get some good ideas and a good cinematography. Regarding an over- and misused genre, Maggie indeed is almost a masterpiece, but I dare to say that it is a good one - if you are not only craving for some brains and flesh eating undead.
1917 (2019)
Ueber-Hyped
15 January 2020
Overpraised like Dunkirk. All the time you just hear (or read) that the movie was made with an one shot approach/method but this is just a technical question and makes no good movie itself. Compared to Paths of Glory (1957) or All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) this is not much better (regarding being realistic) like Emmerich's Midway or Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, but those at least got some fine and epic action scenes. All in all: a big Hollywood production with every possible war cliche you can conjure up. Also the sounddesign (drones, ambient noises and melodies) does not fit into the movie at all - and where is the sound of heavy artillery that you can hear for many miles!? To sum it up: no masterpiece, but mildly entertaining.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terminator: Mission Accomplished - Audience Terminated
15 January 2020
My rate of 1 is harsh but Terminator: Dark Fate is one of the very few movies in my life that I left (after an hour or so) early because I couldn't stand to watch the stuff any longer. Boring, redundant, rather cheaply made and tons of logic issues, and yes, all in all I would call it an insult to the whole Terminator series. If Dark Fate would be a movie without connection to the Terminator franchise I would rate it 4 or maybe 5 (production, acting okayish). Why this movie was ever made (besides making money) will be a mystery forever. I like some of Arnie's late works like Maggie, Escape Plan or Aftermath, but even he can't save this one from crashing. My recommandation: ignore this one like Genisys.
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joker (2019)
Not the Gotham We Know
11 January 2020
Joker is a great movie with a great performing Joaquin Phoenix and all in all the movie is a really fine piece of a drama. But, and this is a big but, the Joker and story of the movie (Wayne Senior a rich numbhead, Clown movement as a civil outrage - here we get all the modern zeitgeist and pc stuff again, and of course bad and bullying guys wear suits etc.) does not fit into the canon of Batman and Gotham City. The "real" Joker you rather get in the new animation show Harley Quinn (a good one!) - I just cannot detect much of the genius evil madness of the "old" Joker in Phoenix's one. As a drama I would rate Joker 8 or even 9 but as it is sold to us as a Joker movie 6 it is.

Last note: if you are able to shut down all the stuff you know about Gotham, Batman and the real Joker, you will enjoy Phoenix's Joker, if not, you probably won't that much.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Harley Quinn (2019– )
Harley Quinn Rocks
4 January 2020
I am really no fan of new DC movies and shows these days but I admit and I am happy that I can state: Harley Quinn is a lot of fun to watch. We get everything an adult needs in a good show: cursing, blood, violence, bad but good humor and some likeable villain characters and some boring cardbox superheros. All in all: a very good and entertaining animation show for adults.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hereditary (2018)
A Strong One
1 January 2020
I rewatched Hereditary lately and I can say this one grew on me - I even deleted my old review and took the task on me to write a new one. First of all Hereditary provides us a very good cast: Alex Wolff, Gabriel Byrne, Toni Collette and Milly Shapiro really act way above your average horror troupe. Second, the sound-design is an extremly disturbing and good one. Last but not least, we get some very strong and disturbing images and a very few but therefore far more powerful scenes of "gore". Some reviewer complain about the ending but in my opinion that "peculiar" ending is the sweet topping on the cake. Last note: if you like movies about black magick, demonic possession and such stuff, put this one on your watchlist pronto.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Knives Out (2019)
Who Did It Again?
30 December 2019
If you like those "Who Dunnit" crime stories and movies a la Agatha Christie you will like Knives Out a lot. Good story, good twists, some funny moments and a top cast - Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curties, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Christopher Plummer to name a few. Production is also on the top, so all in all a good one.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They Live (1988)
EOE: Eye Opening Experience
30 December 2019
The only "thing" They Live misses is Kurt Russell for the main role. Don't get me wrong, Roddy Piper makes a good job, but, well, Kurt Russell is Snake Plissken like Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan, and Mr. Russell would just have fitted perfectly into the movie. Anyway, They Live is good indeed and got some cult potential. Watch, if you like good sci-fi stuff of the B-category, which means there is a good shot of trash and bad humor in the mix and the effects look sometimes really nasty but somewhat good. As a side effect we also get a shot of awareness regarding the powers of manipulation of the masses, but that's another story.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They Found Hell (2015 TV Movie)
The Gates Of Hell Are Wide Open For The Daring Kind
30 December 2019
They Found Hell got its moments, even if they are rare. We sniff some gore here and there and the teleportation into some domains of hell provides us some delicious (also the rescue mission including a reopening of a portal with the help of a car battery!) moments. Well, the kingdom of Satan is not so phantastic and cruel and gory as those in the Hellraiser movies but still this flick got its merits. Production and acting is okay and so is the overall experience watching this movie. Solid, if you want some "horrific" fun and if you are a great devourer of the many horrors and you need an endless stream of supplies.
Mangled In The Night Shift
30 December 2019
I don't know why the rating is so bad - Graveyard Shift is no masterclass or cult, no doubt here, but it provides us solid horror entertainment, based on a short story by maestro Stephen King, and there are for sure more bad movie adaptions of his stories or books outta here than this one. Good, solid 90s horror movie - if you like The Mangler (released 1995, also based on a short story by King) you will like this one too. Solid.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lighthouse (I) (2019)
Trippin' Good
24 December 2019
I really like The Lighthouse even if I am not sure I understand everything that's happening. The Lighthouse is one of those movies that can only work if you got excellent actors and Willem Dafoe (like always) and Robert Pattinson perform excellent. To enjoy this movie you should like to watch the unusual, trippy, and weird stuff and don't mind that something is shot black and white only. A fine piece for a open-minded and experiments liking audience but maybe unwatchable for those who are looking for something rather mainstream. All in all: remarkable.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Witcher (2019– )
Does Not Bewitch Me
23 December 2019
After reading some reviews and the high rating I just thought, give it a try. I don't know the games nor the books but as a fantasy show The Witcher is solid but in no way a masterpiece like many claim: the action scenes are good but the dialogues (like some other reviewers state) are boring as hell, it is really difficult to follow all that blablabla, most times my mind just wanders away till some action is going on. The time jumping of the storytelling is also sometimes (especially at the beginning and if you don't know the books and games like me) really confusing. Anyway, the show grew with every episode on me and is in my opinion good if you are into very fantasy (some good action, good production), if not, don't bother.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long Live the Emperor!
22 December 2019
L'Empereur de Paris is a nice movie that takes us back to the times of France under the rule of Napoleon. The great performing Vincent Cassel plays Francois Vidocq, an ex-con who hunts down the most notorious criminals of the Parisian underworld to get a pardon in return for his services. Fantastic settings and costumes and a very good cast take us back in time and give us a relatively close authentic portrait of the era of Napoleon. Directed by Jean-François Richet (known for a broader audience for Blood Father with Mel Gibson, and the remake of Assault on Precinct 13 from 2005) The Emperor of Paris is a fine movie if you like to watch movies/stories like Les Misérables, The Count of Monte Cristo, Oliver Twist, The Duelists, Gangs of New York, and of course the Vidocq movie with Gérard Depardieu (2001).
Vidocq (2001)
Fantastique
21 December 2019
An underrated movie in my opinion - beautiful cinematography, nice story and some good action scenes and a great production give us the chance to dive into long gone times. Vidocq is a fine adventure movie with great acting and elements of fantasy. Good.
The Decline of Skywalker
19 December 2019
The good news: finally the story of the Skywalkers is done and finished for good. The bad news: all in all Mr. Lucas should have left the original triology (Ep. IV-VI) alone: everything added ist just more or less bad with some nice explosions and CGI, terrible and incoherent storylines, boring characters, and last but not least an excellent example of redundance.

Pros of Episode IX: some nice effects and action scenes. That's it. If you please, follow my remedy: I got the original three movies in my collection and all the other movies (including that terrible Solo thing) I banned for lifetime and I will pretend for all eternity that they did not happen at all ;)
43 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Room (2019)
Got Room For Improvement Left
16 December 2019
The Room is a nice little mystery flick (belongs not to the sci-fi genre in my opinion) with an interesting concept/idea supported by solid acting and production. Here and there the movie got some lengths and the twists are too obvious (saw them coming way ahead) but all in all we get a good movie with some thrilling moments. No masterpiece but anyway, good for a watch.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
6 Underground (2019)
Straight Action Flick
16 December 2019
Fun little flick with a lot of action and a massive production, the negative: some lenghts in the second half and a feeling of boredom thru an overload of action after action scene, in the end everything is just a blur of crashes, gunshots and explosions. Anyway, put your brain on standby and enjoy the ride: give it a try if you like to watch The Fast and the Furious and The Transporter movies.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Safe House (2012)
APF (Action Packed Flick)
13 December 2019
A fine action packed thriller on steroids. Besides the great action we get a fine cast: Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds, Vera Farmiga, Brendan Gleeson and some other known actors + a very good production. The twist (the bad guy) is too easy to detect right in the beginning but anyway, good action and a fast story that doesn't drag around make Safe House no Oscar material but a fine entertaining joyride. If you like movies like Enemy of the State, Bourne Identity, The Fugitive etc. Safe House is a safe bet for you.
Lights Out (II) (2016)
Not Bad Not Ueber-Good
13 December 2019
One of the better ghost-story/bad entity movies. Good cast, pro production a nice creepy atmosphere and some scare jumps. Nothing outstanding but a solid contribution to the genre.
Love Conquers All
12 December 2019
Fun little flick with a few good laughs and some nice twists. Simon Pegg and the rest of the cast do well, production is good. All in all not as funny as Hot Fuzz, but entertaining enough. Recommended if you like to enjoy such crime action comedies like Hotel Artemis, Hot Fuzz, Snatch, In Bruges, The Big Lebowski etc.
Early and Classic Post-Apocalyptic Flick
11 December 2019
Yes, Charlton Heston and Will Smith did well with Omega-Man (1971) and I am Legend (2007) but not one of them used garlic and stake to fight the beasts ;) This flick from 1964 is one of the earliest post-apocalyptic movies I am aware of: Vincent Price fighting a horde of vampires alone in the streets of a big city. Still an entertaining piece, refined now by a great shot of nostalgia. Good.