Reviews

Long Live Evil Dead
7 December 2019
First time watching Army of Darkness I was a little disappointed - too much comedy elements/parts for my taste back then. Anyway, after getting this one on DVD and rewatching it I liked it a lot. Now Army of Darkness belongs like all the other Evil Dead movies (including the last remake by Fede Alvarez, 2013) to my "evergreens" of the horror bizz - like the great Ash vs. Evil Dead show.
House of Wax (1953)
Solid Horror Classic
7 December 2019
In my opinion House of Wax does not belong to Mr. Price's best works but if you like him you will enjoy this one too. Solid oldschool horror flick with some fine sets, beautiful colors and good performances.
Maleficent (2014)
Travelling Wonderland
7 December 2019
Nice eye-candy with a great production/visuals/design, solid acting and well, of course a well-known story. Anyway, Maleficent is a good watch if you like to drop yourself into fairy wonderland, if not, don't bother. Maybe no masterpiece but for certain no fail. Good.
Adventure Deluxe
7 December 2019
This is one of those classics based on a novel by Jules Verne that I really enjoy watching from time to time again. Like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) and Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) one of the best good old adventure movies of all time made to watch together with your kids.
True Cinematic Magic
7 December 2019
Just paying my tribute here to one of the great pleasures of my childhood and still from time to time I watch The Wizard of Oz and the magic is still all here. Great entertainment for the whole family. Classic.
The Marching Dead
5 December 2019
No profanar el sueño de los muertos aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie aka The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue is one of those early European zombie classics (an Spanish-Italian production) the true lover of the genre should have seen at least onece before entering the void himself. Not the most gory one but one with a true atmosphere of suspense and horror. My rate: 6 + 1 for nostalgic reasons only.

Marathon Man (1976)
A Hell of a Fine Movie
4 December 2019
The Marathon Man is one of the more intelligent and unpredictable thrillers involving Nazi war crimes and/or criminals. A great production, a fine script and actors like Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Schneider put this one up into the Heavens of the genre. And of course unforgetable is the torture scene including some driller. Like a sprint to watch and not a marathon: an at least once in a lifetime must-watch.
Fantastic Fantasy
4 December 2019
One of those classics and a fine adaptions of a story of maestro Jules Verne. Still after all those passed years a fine watch for the whole family with a nostalgic touch and true fine colors and of course great actors like Kirk Douglas, James Mason and Peter Lorre.
Still Stunning
4 December 2019
Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of those classics you watch as a kid and you will never forget and everytime you watch it again you are boosted again into that adventurous world where everything is possible. Fine adventure with great actors and fantastic colors that still beats most of today's adventure movie productions.
2nd Great Strike
3 December 2019
After being disappointed by many seconds (Deadpool, Kingsman to name a few) I was really happy that Vol. 2 of the Guardians matches up to the first movie. If Vol. 3 holds the level too, Guardians of the Galaxy will be one of the most funny and entertaining trilogies of all time regarding the superhero/sci-fi cosmos.
Great Piece
3 December 2019
Guardians of the Galaxy is proof that Marvel is still able to do some good stuff from time to time: the movie is funny, the effects are top notch and the actors do fine. All in all a great fun watch that I will rewatch sometime. Good for superhero and sci-fi fans alike.
The Iceman (2012)
Ice 'Em All
29 November 2019
The Iceman is one of those very few movies about the story of a "pro killer" (and this time the characters is based on a real person!) that stick - Leon: The Professional (1994), Pulp Fiction (also 1994), The Jackal (1997) or Collateral (2004) comes to mind. The Iceman is maybe not that strong like the aformentioned movies but still very captivating and thrilling and like in Bug (2006) Michael Shannon's performance is just ueber-good.
Nosferatu (1922)
Masterclass
29 November 2019
One of those films you should have watched at least once in your life before entering the one last big sleep. Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror - a great classic and a defining piece of work for a whole genre and maybe more.
Satanic Panic (2019)
Blood Ritual Gone All Wrong
29 November 2019
Nice little horror comedy - good cast, good production and some funny scenes and some blood. Nothing special on the menu but good enough for a little snack. Watch if you like some satanic crazies wanting blood and a pizza delivery girl fighting for her life. Solid contribution to the genre: watch if you like such movies like Ready or Not, Get Out, You're Next, The Babysitter, The Strangers, Attack of the Adult Babies etc.
Seven Samurai (1954)
A Cinematic Triumph
23 November 2019
This is one of my black and white alltime classics that I still like to watch from time to time. If you never watched a samurai movie and you would ask me for a recommandation I still would say this is the one you should watch. Superior in every aspect to the Hollywood samurai movies - acting, directing etc. Everything in this movie is top notch, sometimes to watch is like to meditate. Shichinin no samurai aka Seven Samurai is one of Akira Kurosawa's best (he got a lot more) and one of those movies that will stand the test of time for all eternity.

Other movies I would recommend (directed by the master himself): Yôjinbô. Rashômon. Tsubaki Sanjûrô. And of course you could watch those Hollywood movies based on Kurasawa's work like Last Man Standing (1996), A Fistful of Dollars (1964), The Magnificent Seven (I prefer the 1960s version to the new one).
The Mandalorian (2019– )
A Childbook's Play
22 November 2019
It is disgusting how Disney & Co. flood Imdb with fake rates and fake reviews. The Mandalorian is okayish but nothing good. Maybe the kids will like it but the storyline is boring and predictable (reminds me of those childbooks with big pictures and here and there a few lines of words to describe what happens etc.) and got no more depth as all those animation movies for kids of the Star Wars franchise. Last but not least the characters are shallow like an empty glass, well, maybe the Mandalorian got one or two drops of water left. And I suspect they hired some guys and gals from DC or Marvel, cuz our Mandalorian fights like a superhero - even with the baby in his arms... All in all okay if you got nothing else to do and don't expect too much and you like to listen to the sound of blasters making bumbum.
13 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ready or Not (I) (2019)
Nothing Special But Fun Enough
22 November 2019
Well, lots of bad reviews but I like Ready or Not: a solid production with a decent budget, solid acting, and here and there a fine macabre and bloody scene. Yes, one could say that the story is not the most inventive or unique one, but how many horror movies or horror comedies these days are unique or special regarding the storyline!? Yes, not many. Anyway, solid movie about a rich and crazy family with a peculiar tradition and good if you like horror comedies, and in my opinion more fun to watch as that overpraised Get Out from 2017.

Note: in my opinion many of those 1 or 2 rating reviews are driven by "agendas", if you watched the movie you can guess why ;)
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like Like This
18 November 2019
The show provides a nice little mix of a coming of age story and of a roadmovie with some nice twists, (dark) humor and likeable characters. That fine brew gets supported by the charismatic performances by Jessica Barden and Alex Lawther. All in all a nice show and a really fine dish beyond the usual served conventional fast food - if the end of the world got such entertaining quality, I want it to start right NOW ;)
Well Done
12 November 2019
Blade Runner 2049 lives imo mostly of its very good to sometimes even excellent and superb visuals, on top the acting is good. The bad news is that the story provided adds not much new to the original movie and is just more or less a repetition of the first one (I call it the Star Wars syndrom). Anyway, Blade Runner got a straigth 10 by me and the sequel gets a solid 8 - 2049 is no new classic but a good and rock solid sci-fi movie and sequel.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saturn 3 (1980)
Nice Ride on Saturn 3
11 November 2019
In my opinion an underrated movie - the story is interesting, the production good and we get three great actors - Farrah Fawcett, Harvey Keitel and Kirk Douglas. If you like such movies like Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009) you may like this one too. Saturn 3 is easy better than 80% of all sci-fi shows and movies they produce these days -. if you look behind the veil of modern cgi klamauk.
The Black Hole Rocks
11 November 2019
One of those old classic and fantastic sci-fi adventures I watched in awe in my younger years. The Black Hole got a nice and interesting story, for that time good visuals, lots of robots, and last but not least, a great cast with actors like Maximillian Schell (A Bridge Too Far, Cross of Iron), Anthony Perkins and Ernest Borgnine.

Belongs in the line of all those good to very good sci-fi movies of the 70s like Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Westworld, Silent Running and so on. Alien and Star Wars play in another league, of course.

Note: my rate includes +1 for nostalgic reasons only ;)
Blade Runner (1982)
Timeless Classic
10 November 2019
A truly fantastic masterpiece with great performances by Harrison Ford, Daryl Hanna and Rutger Hauer (+ the entire cast). Even visually Blade Runner is still stunning and top notch without all the finesse modern CGI makes possible. In short: one fine piece of a movie for all eternity and maybe Mr. Scott's best one.
Solid Sequel
6 November 2019
Not as fresh and funny as the first one but still funny enough. Good cast (you can see and feel that they got a lot of fun making the movie), good production, here and there a nice gore effect - in short: Double Tap is a solid sequel with some fine moments and good if you are into zombie comedy
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Redcon-1 (2018)
Watch At Your Own Risk
5 November 2019
Every reviewer calling this the worst (zombie) movie ever obviously never had the "pleasure" to watch one of the really bad ones. Redcon-1 got lots of fighting scenes and blood, some good, some less good. My most trouble with the movie is the terrible and annoying soundtrack and background music of the movie - it really destroys any feeling to take this movie serious. Also the "story" tastes like an overripe piece of old cheese, and some of the scenes are involuntarily funny. Anyway, watchable for the hardcore zombie addict if nothing else is on the table and the craving is just too great ;)
Cargo (I) (2017)
Fine Cargo
3 November 2019
Nice little zombie/infection movie with a serious tone and despite the rather low budget well done. To sum it up: I was well entertained and Cargo plays luckily in another league (production and acting wise) as all those millions buddy-made zombie movies we are too often tortured with. If you are an lover of a zombified world like I am and crave for new stuff, you may give this one a try.