Reviews

Silly,but still enjoyable.
12 February 2016
One of the main reasons why the 80s landscape was such a joy for horror was due in part to these sort of offbeat horror films. And Killer Klowns From Outer Space is one of those.

It starts off like more than a few extra-terrestrial horror films usually do. Something lands in an area just outside of town in the woods. A local man(Royal Dano) and his dog follow it to the source where they are met with a gigantic and ill placed Circus tent. As it becomes clear that IT is a circus tent and the invaders happen to be an invading force of clowns.Yep,that;s right.Clowns.

This film is still a treat after all these years to revisit because it has a nice balance of horror and absurdity which gives all of its visuals such as Balloon Animal Bloodhounds,popcorn creatures and shadow puppet dinosaurs. a certain joy to see executed. Most movies don't do a good job of juggling a lot of what I like to call acceptable cheese & outright abandon, but this film manages to keep the Klowns in check with the cast. This is a definite much watch for any fans of the golden age of horror.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DeepStar Six (1989)
20000 fathoms of fun
10 February 2016
This film has a very special spot for me because some of its imagery had stuck with well into adulthood and years later when I couldn't even remember very much of it I was reintroduced to it through the glorious tool that is the internet. With a few keywords,keystrokes and a search I was reunited with its title. Its a title that I think could've benefited from a decent transfer as it is not on part with say Leviathan(another masterpiece of aquatic horror) The film,directed by Sean S. Cunningham of Friday the 13th directorial fame opens with a team of scientists and crew drilling the seabed floor to lay underwater missile silos,but as luck(or Sh*t luck) the seabed gives way into an underwater cavern that might house an untouched ecosystem of new aquatic friends. This is the setup for what becomes a rather interesting film that's helped alone by some good cast(Miguel Ferrer,wonderful as always) and some decent creatures effects. Its not as strong as Leviathan,but it still holds up as a rather good horror film with some pretty tense moments as the creature gets loose inside the base. With Cunningham eying another reboot film of Friday The 13th I think he really should revisit this under appreciated gem for modern audiences. It seems far too often we are not given enough horror movies that involve the ocean and when we do get them its either a shark or some fish. This film can be purchased real cheap for a digital copy from apple store which is where I managed to get a copy. I at the time of writing this own both a physical copy, and a digital copy to carry with me for viewing wherever I'm at.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Pit (1981)
Fiction is stranger than truth
10 February 2016
This film is surprisingly interesting. I rarely rate a horror film with the idea that I'm laying alongside Citizen Kane. When I do rate them I lay them in relation to how strong they are in the genre. And this film is pretty bizarre. I really found myself enjoying the concept of The pit even if I didn't enjoy the dialogue or acting.

Jamie Benjamin,a young boy hitting puberty in an a manner that borders on the creepy that seems unnerving. Whom also hears his teddy bear talking,his only friend since most of the town ridicule him as a weirdo, stumbles upon a Pit. It isn't long before Jamie is convinced that something lives within the pit that's hunger cannot be controlled. That is if this evil exists.

I'd say this one was a little bit surprising as I have a hard time being fair to films that are to some extent very interesting premises,but struggle on the execution,but it is still better than a majority of the lesser know 80s horror. This is a film to watch once because of its almost cruel Ironic ending.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK,but the first was a bit better
10 February 2016
I can remember first coming across the first piranha, as it was on a VHS tape in my mother collection that only bore the first title. I remember watching it as a kid and being absolutely terrified as a child because up until that point a kid could never comprehend the local terror of something invading a lake to kill children and counselors alike. I remember catching Piranhas II briefly when I was a bit older and had a very vague idea of what it was about. So I decided to revisit it and see if it had any of that classic quirky charm that made the first Film directed by Joe Dante, a rather charming knockoff with just a bit of its own magic that so many jaws rip offs lacked. I can say this film doesn't really have any of the charm or interest of the original,but still tries to up the ante in terms of creativity. The plot seems less connected to the first title as it really tries to shoehorn in the connection via a mention and it seems less than interesting. The cast is pretty standard as far as most 80s casts go(keep an eye out for a really young Lance Henriksen). I wouldn't recommend this as a first choice, or a last choice,but I would say that if you have braved more than a few average horrors and are craving some more aquatic terror than this one will more than easily fill that void since it is still heaps better than the rather dismal new films which lack the charm of being an 80s movie and try to replicate bad on purpose.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trilogy of Terror II (1996 TV Movie)
Made all the more Great by the Zuni Fetish Doll.
9 February 2016
I never got around to watching the original Trilogy Of Terror,but in some form or another I would either in passing hear from someone about the first entry and even in one situation find myself staring face to face with a model replica that my local comic book store had perched high above one of the shelves. Bearing a price tag I could never at the age of 14 mustered from weeks of Chores. So One night I was scrolling through films to watch when I came across Trilogy Of Terror 2.

THE GRAVEYARD RATS:It starts off rather basic with a story of a cheating wives attempts to bump off her debilitated old husband with the help of her lover. I really liked this one since it hearkens back to that sort of Tales from the crypt and house of Mystery vibe

BOBBI: A mother Loses her son in an accidental drowning. While the husband is away she decides to attempt to resurrect her son to grave consequences. The lighting they used in this gives the house a very eerie and drawn out look.

HE WHO KILLS: This one literally had me terrified. It takes place shortly after the events of the first encounter with the Zuni Fetish Doll as the police turn the doll over to a Dr. Simpson. This doll is the stuff of nightmares and the effects to achieve an almost relentless doll that is quick and dangerous makes you wonder if Chucky and the cast of Puppetmaster seem as though they are standing still. This one I can say was my absolute favourite and I plan on revisiting the first Trilogy Of Terror. I recommend this film for a watch if you haven't seen the first and even if you have.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.