Reviews

13 Reasons Why: Bye (2018)
Season 2, Episode 13
Damn!
11 April 2019
The most terrifying episode of this season. I wish i didn't see what happened to Tyler. Poor Tyler...
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
13 Reasons Why: The Box of Polaroids (2018)
Season 2, Episode 12
Sad
11 April 2019
Justin is a character that made me so sad. His whole life is a mess from his childhood until his teenage life. So glad he kept moving on even though it wasn't easy. And now he's changed. He wants to be a better person. Good luck Justin with your new life.

I wish Bryce would have been so sweet as how he was when he as a kid.
Pretty Funny
10 April 2018
The film is pretty funny. I really like the old man. I can't imagine living in that era where vacancies are so hard to find, and women flirt with a man without any shame, trying so hard to get his attention. That was 1943, and how about now? Are men getting fewer and fewer? Btw, I think Jean Arthur's voice is so similar to Alicia Silverstone in Clueless. So cute, sweet and funny.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Road Home (1999)
It's Ziyi Zhang's Debut!
10 April 2018
It's a beautiful and emotional movie about love. It's a simple love story but it shows a complete form of love, a deep one. Love between two humans: woman and man, love between teacher and students, love between children and parents, and love between people. Glad I can learn a bit about Chinese culture from this movie. Hope I can watch all of Yimou's movies.
Amistad (1997)
Matthew is so Cute!
10 April 2018
This movie was actually cool, but it lacks emotion in some scenes. I can't feel the glory of their winning and the spirit. The opening was so scary, made my mind thinking what could that black thing be? I'm so glad that slavery is, I think, over now. What they did to Africans were so cruel and sadistic.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Pretty Cyborg!
20 March 2018
As a fan of Scarlett Johansson, I was back then astonished for not knowing that Scarlett Johansson had a new movie. Until a friend posted the trailer of this movie on her Facebook. So, thank you, friend.

When I saw the trailer for the first time, I was overwhelmed by the cinematography. The colors are so beautiful and so bright. And then I saw Scarlett as a cyborg, I couldn't wait any longer to watch the movie. Her expression and appearance was totally convincing. So cold and flat, like a poker face.

Finally I could watch this movie last month. And well, I never thought this movie would be so "slow" and "quiet". So many technology and science terms I didn't familiar with. And suddenly there was a rumble in a restaurant which I didn't know what that was all about. The point is, I couldn't grasp the plot in one sitting. I think sci-fi is a puzzling genre for my brain, lol.

Over all, I really adore the cinematography of this movie. Imagining the future would be exactly like what I've seen in this movie. The ads on the walls look so real and technology and science getting more advanced than today. Anyhow, I didn't get why the shape of cigarette doesn't get any change at all? It just looks the same as today. The foods and the utensils are no different. I think there should've been some differences to make the future reality of this movie much more convincing.

Although it's a bit boring, because it made me sleep a little, the ending of this movie's so absorbing. My eyes got teary seeing Major try to save her friend from the past by sacrificing her own self. It was so touching. Maybe the anime version of this movie is more engaging. If it's not, no one would have wanted to adapt the anime into movie, right?
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Love the View, Though
20 March 2018
The beginning of this movie was actually good, because I could understand what was going on between those people. But honestly, when the story moved to London, I didn't have of clue what was happening. What kind of business they had? What mission?

Maybe because I was so impressed by the animated movie of Tarzan, which I've watched several times, I couldn't help myself guessing who is who when both are compared. At first I thought Samuel L. Jackson was the antagonist, the one who betrayed Jane's father in the animated movie. It turned out he's a good one. So, I got confused. The plot was a little hard to understand, for me. At least the cinematography is amazing. I really love it. The view is superb. The romance is pretty good, too. I can feel the chemistry between Tarzan and Jane.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
13 Reasons Why: Tape 2, Side B (2017)
Season 1, Episode 4
Lumayan
20 March 2018
Hal yang paling membedakan dari series ini dengan bukunya adalah bahwa si Clay yang masturbasi karena melihat foto kissing Hannah dan teman ceweknya. Aku lupa namanya siapa. Kalau di bukunya kan justru Tyler yang masturbasi pas melihat adegan itu secara live, dan diam-diam tentunya.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy and Knowledge At the Same Time!
14 March 2018
I feel so lucky because I was given the chance to find and watch this movie right before it was deleted from Netflix. The poster was actually a turndown for me until something encouraged me to check this movie out on IMDb. It has a good rating. So I decided to download and watch this movie. And WOW! Suddenly I fell in love with this movie.

It was a simple yet very entertaining and informative movie. It was filmed like a documentary, btw. It didn't provide you with so many great cinematography or screen quality since it's an 80's movie but the story and comedy was really great. It was so amusing. I think it's a universal comedy because I'm quite sure all people from every country, with different kind of ages will have a lot of laugh while watching this movie. I hope someday I'm gonna have a chance to watch this movie again. It deserve a rewatch from me.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Great Wall (I) (2016)
It's Too Futuristic For Me
14 March 2018
When I first watched the ad on TV, I couldn't see anything classic about it, which I think should have been more than it's shown, except that it was about The Great Wall. Anything about it must have been historical. The dress is too futuristic, the colors are too bright for AD 1010-63. Well, I wasn't sure about the colors people used at that time, though, but I don't think they know a lot about the variants of color at that time. It was a very long time ago, right? Maybe just black, white or brown?

So, this movie is about the search of gunpowder by European mercenaries but they were ambushed by legendary monsters who tried to go through the Great Wall to invade the palace. These monsters have something to do with a curse from the Gods because the King was so greedy. My question is, why the monsters really look like the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park? It's funny how they communicate through the signals on their heads.

This movie was supposed to be epic but mostly I found this movie to be amusing. It's just lack of Yimou's touch even though it was directed by him. I've watched his two movies which are so great, historical, and so Chinese (I'm sorry if it's a wrong term). But this one is too futuristic for me.
Just Something I've Never Thought About
14 March 2018
At first, I didn't know the main cast of this movie was actually a normal person. What a great acting! It's been a long time I didn't follow the update of Bollywood movies since the era of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. So yeah, it's no wonder I've never heard of Kalki Koechlin and any other casts, except maybe the one who played as Laila's mother. I think I've seen her somewhere in Bollywood movies.

Getting to know her, I started to search about her other works or activities on the Internet and I found some on YouTube. Wow, she looks like a smart actress. The way she speaks about women empowerment or feminist. She's done a lot of movies and I found her other movie on Netflix. I hope I can watch it soon enough.

This movie doesn't only cover about the everyday life of a person with a cerebral palsy, but also about her sexual life. This what makes this movie unusual. What's more, Laila is in the position where she's confused about her sexual preference. It's something I've never thought about before. And reading the making process of this movie on Wikipedia makes me appreciate this movie even more.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Like the Lyrics
29 November 2017
I didn't know how many times I've tried to watch this movie since I found out it was played on HBO. I fell asleep so many times and this could the sign of a kinda boring movie. I also just found out, when I finally finished the movie, that it was directed by Rob Marshall, the one whose some of his movies are on my favorite movies list: Memoirs of a Geisha and Chicago. The songs, although not quite entertaining as in Chicago, have beautiful lyrics. Sometimes I think they are out of tune? (Is that a correct term?) Since my listening in English is not so great, I found it a bit hard to follow. They sang too fast sometimes.

Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep are my favorite casts here. They both funny, also the twins and the stepmother. I tried to like Anna Kendrick but I still couldn't find her attractive. The story itself is average.
Why Goats?
29 November 2017
Cute title and a bit funny and mysterious. The cinematography is good. But I didn't really get the story. I guess this movie wants the war and any kind of violence to end? I wonder if that kind of power shown in this movie does exist. And why goats? That one goat in the end of the movie looked angry. What's wrong with him?
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So wonderful!
26 October 2017
Well, I never thought this movie would be so damn funny. Thank God I finally decided to watch this one. It's such a great stress relief from work. This movie provides a great stock of laughter from beginning to end, even in small details when you did pay attention to it, such as the logo of products. That was quite entertaining. Not only laughter, this movie also delivers a great story about family which, in certain scene, moved me to tears. How could I not when I watched that part with such a perfect song?

I have to be honest I never knew any work from Ernest Prakarsa unless that he is a stand up comedian. I also heard that he's written a book, a comedy book or something like Raditya Dika. As one of main actors here, I think he acted pretty good. What Giselle did also quite surprising. That was pretty natural, except when she yelled in English language near the end of the movie. That was not so good. Over all, it's a great movie about family with great casts and great original songs. What disturbed me a bit is the details about the calendar shown pretty often. That's all.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not As Funny As I Thought
21 October 2017
I watch the Indonesian adaptation (Love You... Love You Not) before I got into this one. First of all, I would share my experience watching my first Thailand's romantic comedy movie, A Little Thing Called Love which is super funny. So, I can't help my self comparing this movie to the previous one I've watched. Of course I bet this movie would be much funnier than the adaptation. Somehow I think Thailand has a good skill in making a good horror and comedy movie. I will scare to death or laugh till my stomach hurts.

Well, I think I put my expectation way too high. And I'm sorry to say that I love the adaptation more than this one. Not because I'm from Indonesia my self. I think the female lead cast from Indonesia are prettier and can act better than the one from Thailand's and so with the male cast. The same goes with the Japanese woman role. The adaptation made a good decision to describe her as a hot woman, who always wears sexy outfit, which suits her craving for a great sex. While here, the Japanese woman didn't look sexy at all. She's more of a tomboy girl with a pretty face. However, I like the story of female lead cast's other crush, which I think is much more reasonable. Also the story of his family. One big difference with the adaptation, I didn't shed a tear at all.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chelsea still amazes me
20 October 2017
I wasn't really sure about this movie because it seems impossible to me that Chelsea Islan would try this genre, romantic comedy. It's quite different from her previous movies, which are all serious and history related, except of course Refrain, which was her debut movie.

So, my first impression about this movie was spot-on. I watched the first fifteen minutes and I was bored already. The comedy is kinda trashy, I have to say. Why all the English learners have to be from various ethnicity? What a coincidence! And they're not funny at all! That's why I stopped watching it and started it again the next few weeks.

Surprisingly, the next scene was much better. It made me laugh although certain jokes degraded women. I think both Chelsea and Hamish did a great job. Hamish totally gave his all to act as a low class dude. As a sad scene, Chelsea Islan did quite so good it made me teary. Well, I did cry. This was what I didn't expect from this movie. Great job both of you. But, the story itself actually didn't really strong. I mean, the details are not so convincing, especially the family background of Amira and ones of Miller Khan's role. The change of personality of Miller Khan's somehow irrelevant to me. Why brought up family if you couldn't make a good description about them?
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
20 Cigarettes (2010)
What a Horrifying Bombing Scene
19 October 2017
This movie is based on an autobiography of Aureliano Amadei. He has a deep love for filmmaking. That's why he can't refuse an offer to be an assistant director, even when the movie will be made in Iraq. It's a big stepping stone for him. But when he got there, he finally finds out that he was actually "deceived" and his decision leads him to a grievous reality.

I never really like watching movie about war. I love history, but every time I watch a movie war related, it's more often than not to include bombing and shooting with a great damage to the human body, in this case soldiers or civilians. It's really painful to see. You can see blood, flesh and bone and sometimes it makes me wanna puke and begin to question myself again, why war?

This movie really shows that horror I really fear to watch. And it was so genuine. The scene was taken from Amadei's still rolling camera, so it feels so real. Like I was really there with them. I wanted to skip this part but I might lose something important, so I kept watching.

Besides its frightening bombing scene, it deals with a bittersweet romance between Amadei, his best friend and his real boyfriend. The uniqueness of his parents and their beautiful relationship also adds solace to this movie. But the truth that there will always be someone who tries to be in the "spotlight" after this terrifying attack is so odious.
Equity (I) (2016)
Beware, Stabber's Everywhere
18 October 2017
I didn't know that Anna Gunn was the woman who also starred in Breaking Bad series, the one who became Walter White's wife. She looks so different in this movie. I think she doesn't look as feminine as she does in Breaking Bad.

The movie started very slow for my taste. I didn't know what kind of business and troubles she gets herself into. But it got clearer in the half time of the movie (I guess). I imagined the guy with a tad messy look as Mark Zuckerberg who's offering his product to the market and Naomi's there to be his agent/mediator. Something like that: stock/share. While trying her ass off to be successful with her project, some people close to her try to sabotage her. Stabbers all around.

What I hate from this movie is the voice of Anna Gunn. It's like she's whispering while her face has a strong look. It's just not okay. Her expression's mostly hard to understand. Is it just her trying to never let her emotion out? Is it what the script wanted her to do? I don't know. This made the conflict fall flat. Although it's not quite satisfying, I got some knowledge from this movie: the world of stock market.
Scream 2 (1997)
I Still Liked It
16 October 2017
It still made me jumpy and scream but it's not as great as the former movie. It's about knowing the formula and somehow I could predict what the killer's gonna do. The scene where Sidney and her friend got trapped in a police car while the killer passed out in the front seat yet they both managed to get away is kinda extravagance. Well, maybe it was the killer's trick, though. But how do I know?

The ending where Sidney and the killer were dueling was my favorite part. What Sidney did was so awesome. This girl really can act fast and unerring even when in a tough situation. Too bad, the scene where Gale rose up after being shot gave me a weird face. What made it worst is when the killer also did the same exact thing. Too cliché. Thank God he did nothing but made an odd movement.
Scream (1996)
It Did Make Me Scream
16 October 2017
I've mistaken the plot of this movie for Scary Movie, which I have watched more than twice (as I remember). So, I thought I knew who the man behind the mask was but of course I was wrong. This is the surprise effect for me, although I didn't really like the disclosure. That made the mystery felt, as a matter of fact, too simple. Whatever that was, I did enjoy the movie. It was so frightening. I really like the whole performance of the casts, especially Courtney Cox who played Gale Weathers. . She's amazing. Her voice really fits her role as a reporter, I think.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spielberg (2017 TV Movie)
I Love This Guy
13 October 2017
Yesterday's movie night was quite a hard pick for me: Spielberg or Christine. Both started at 10 p.m and are based on true story, only the previous one is a documentary and the other one is a biopic. At the last second, I finally picked Spielberg because he's a great filmmaker despite the fact I haven't watched all of his movies. Another reason, I know Dawson Leery from Dawson's Creek worships this guy. He's explained why but I need to know more about Spielberg. He's considered a genius for making a debut at a very young age. One of those great artists in the world. I was so glad to find out that this documentary is a world premiere, meaning I've made the right choice.

The documentary is so informative and entertaining at the same time. Love to see those individuals involved in filmmaking spend their time together, support, criticize and appreciate each other's works. Spielberg himself was driven to filmmaking at a very young age although he wasn't so sure if it was his real passion or just a plain hobby, or even his diversion since he was bullied and a broken home kid. Those hard times in his youth reflected almost in his every movie. Some of them are very personal. And yes, Dawson was right when he said Spielberg almost never put nudity or sex scene in his movies because he's shy. So cute, anyway.

I downloaded Lawrence of Arabia right away because it's the movie that's so meaningful for Spielberg in his career as a director. I promise my self to watch all movies where Spielberg's in it.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally I Meet Fred Krueger
13 October 2017
It's still pretty scary for today's era of horror movie. Quite enough scenes made me jumpy. What's more, the story is strong, unique and science related (the sleeping thing). However, I don't find the acting of the main actors so believable except for the screaming. Even Johnny Depp didn't show enough realness in the kissing scene (his other scenes were great, though).

I feel glad to finally watch one of this great horror classic. The villain/devil is so popular and I would feel bad if I never see one of his movies. I hope I can watch all of the franchise despite the bad reviews.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought Emily Blunt is gonna be as fat as Rachel should be
20 May 2017
Although it is a bit slow and silent, this movie still kept me wondering what's gonna happen next. I've read the book, by the way. And I appreciate the adaptation. Only I was a bit disappointed that Rachel is not as fat as I read in the book. However, Emily Blunt is amazing as always. Her eyes really a perfection for the role.

The cast are mostly perfect. But I was not quite satisfied with the cast of Justin Theroux at first. In the end, I liked him as Tom. He suit the role, seriously.
Carrie (1976)
Sissy Spacek Rocks!
24 April 2016
Finally got to watched the first version of this movie. And I said, what?! Naked scene already?! There were some girl undoubtedly relaxed to act totally naked in the gym shower, including Sissy Spacek who played Carrie. Okay, i won't focus on that.

Comparing this movie with the one played by Chloe Grace Moretz, there were some pros and cons. I like Carrie played by Sissy more than by Chloe because Sissy's shows extremely weirdo and scary face. And those screaming she made really deafening. Wow, she is just amazing. Was her throat okay after doing that? But for her mama's role, I like it more by Julianne. I think she is far more terrifying and freak and maniac than Piper was. For the rest casts, I like this version more.

While for the special effect, I surely love the Chloe's version, no doubt. But still the first version give a more terrifying atmosphere.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Macbeth (2015)
Music is The Champion
21 April 2016
The best thing about this movie is the music. It brought a great enthusiasm to me while trying hard to stay focus with its rather slow pace. I thought this movie would be depicted in an epic way like Troy or The Lord of the Rings. Well, it turned out to be so theatrical and close to boring. The war scene is made in slow motion, made me remember that part of Kung Fu Hustle. Why did you do this? Is there any particular reason? I expect it to be epic. Because I understand why Kung Fu Hustle did the slow motion, for the movement in Kung Fu is so fast. Maybe they tried to give the audiences a moment to capture every movement better.

I really didn't get the conversation between King Duncan and his staff while Macbeth and the other are busy killing in the field. Honestly, I haven't read Macbeth yet. So I need to check the internet for better explanation, especially why Macbeth is so obsessed in becoming a king while he knows that Duncan is a kind-hearted king. But, once again, thank you so much for the music. It is superb, as well as the casts.