Hunters (2020– )
Seriously worth watching. Check it out ASAP
21 February 2020
The most important scene in a TV show or miniseries is the opening 5 minutes. If the opening scene doesn't intrigue or invest you, chances are that they'll check out before the season finale. Thankfully Hunters was terrific from the get go. Hunters is fantastic.

It does also treat it's subject matter rather well and it is quite sad at times. Hunters is a fantastic show. It genuinely amazed me. The show is around 10 hours and a half, and i was genuinely invested through all of it. There is very little down time. It's superbly written and everything in this season was A-Grade quality especially the story. It hooks you from the opening 5 minutes to a really great ending

The performances are fantastic but the two standouts for me were Al Pacino, who hasn't given many great performances recently. But after this, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman, I think he is back on track. Logan Lerman was surprising aswell, he is so good here.

Hunters is seriously worth the time. It has great characters, story arcs, violence, and it's superbly directed. I know there will be people who will complain about the little things but please don't, no point hating shows, just because it disagrees with your ideologies.
67 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hunters (2020– )
You guys need to stop.
21 February 2020
Just because a show or film disagrees with your stupid politics, doesn't make the show bad. When you do judge a show on politics, it makes you stupid
274 out of 389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2020 isn't being good for horror so far
20 February 2020
The Boy II isn't really a movie anybody asked for. Whilst it's not a flat out awful movie. it's painfully generic and dull and more lifeless than a dead corpse.

It has some moments of atmosphere but usually it's filled with annoying jump scares which doesn't work whatsoever. The film uses every trick in the book and it never succeeds.

The performances aren't that good. Everyone tries their best especially Katie Holmes. Ralph Ineson is the most talented of the lot but it's one of those films where even if you got the most talented of actors, they wouldn't be able to save it. It's only 86 minutes (including credits) and I think the story feels fine without being stretched out, but at the same time, not much decent character development happens. The final act is really bad though

That being said I did have a lot of fun and it's kinda enjoyable in a so bad, it's good way. It's not a terrible film, it actually does try to be good even if it doesnt feel like it.

But it's seriously not one to watch. I'm hoping The Invisible Man and The Hunt can redeem the horror genre.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good for a dog film
19 February 2020
Every year, we get a few dog films. When I hear about these dogs films being made, I seriously roll my eyes cause they don't have the best track record. So the first one of 2020 is The Call of The Wild. Surprisingly it isn't actually that bad. In fact it's pretty good

One thing people have complained about constantly in the trailers was the shoddy looking dogs as well as not using real dogs. Whilst it would be better to of used a real dog. The CGI dogs aren't that bad in the film. It's obvious it's CGI but it's not overally distracting as one might think. The CGI overall is pretty decent though. It's pretty well made overall with some surprisingly stunning imagery.

Dog films are largely a miss for me. The Call of the Wild is one of the better dog films. It actually has likeable characters and it isnt one of those dog films which try to be cute and then of as horrendously cringey. There are a few moments in here but it's not filled with those moments. It actually does try and there are actual moments of heart cause you actually have a solid story with competent writers.

Harrison Ford is great here. He isn't trying to deliver his best performance nor does he phone in it. He definitely has a likeable screen presence to make his lesser efforts still worth watching.

Overall it's pretty good stuff that being said it is still pretty formulaic studd. Though it's nothing out of the ordinary but it's far from a bad thing. It's no Isle of Dogs but thankfully it's no A Dog's Journey, A Dog's Way Home, A Dog's Purpose, Show Dogs, The Queen's Corgi.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Waters (2019)
Ruffalo's best since Zodiac
18 February 2020
Dark Water honestly surprised me. It's much better than I expected it would be even though the trailers were pretty great to begin with. The film regardless of how accurate or biased it is, doesn't really bother me. It still is a very engaging film which is quite scary in terms of how much of an actual reality it is and it does make you mad it happened. It works extremely well and they handled the subject matter beyond great. I feel like the film has to cram too much in, it's just two hours but after a 100 minutes it felt like they had to wrap everything up quickly, even though they could find another hours worth content. Mark Ruffalo is great here. He is a great actor especially when he isn't Bruce Banner. He makes this film and it's definitely his greatest role since Zodiac. Everyone else is really good as well and it's great to see Tim Robbins again. Overall I do have some minor flaws here and there but nothing majorly wrong. It's definitely one of the better films of 2019 and I hope Mark Ruffalo sticks to proper films where he can actually show of his talents.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Who: The Haunting of Villa Diodati (2020)
Season 12, Episode 8
Best episode of the season but not saying much.
16 February 2020
This episode is slightly better than the rest. It does manage to keep your interest. Even though it's flawed in writing, it was fairly enjoyable and the ending was pretty good. Bradley Walsh is great but the others not so much. The side character's aren't that great but still tolerable. It is great to see the Cybermen return even if the Cybermen design isn't too great. I just think his voice is more silly than anything. However I was kinda disappointed that this isn't a small scale ghost story cause I would have loved that.

This episode is basically filler and tease, what is come in the next two episodes.
19 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very little of merit
15 February 2020
Sometimes I like seeking out bad films but I had to watch this one cause it's Blumhouse. This had potential but it was bloody awful. I try hard to like films like this and for the first 45 minutes, I was thinking "the film isn't that bad, it's poorly written and acted but I'm kinda enjoying it" but then the second half of the film came along and it just got worse and worse to a stupid ending which makes you wonder why you even watched the film.

There is maybe one scene of tension but is quickly ruined by a jump scares. Jump scares aren't welcome here. They are awfully used. The acting was bad. Everyone here feels like a first time actor. If the cast was better, maybe the film would be more tolerable. Ema Horvath is fine as the lead but nothing more. She tries her best and that's all I can ask in these kind of films. Overall it's terrible. It is bland and lifeless. It was "fine" for the first 45 minutes, but quickly got worse and it leaves a bad after taste in your mouth. I do like Blumhouse but this is another miss. The next one to see is Fantasy Island which is gonna be crap, so hopefully The Hunt is a hit
Emma. (2020)
Beautifully made and acted greatly but lacks depth at times
14 February 2020
Emma is one of those films with such a strong cast and oozing with beauty in every shot but at the same time lacks heart and depth.

Anya Taylor-Joy who is one of my favourite actresses working at the moment is amazing here and shows she can do a lot more than just horror. Everyone is terrifc here but the other highlights are Bill Nighy, Mia Goth and Johnny Flynn

Whilst there is nothing to fault in terms of production design and costumes, there are flaws within the film. The main flaw being that it feels quite familiar in terms of story despite having some strong writing. It also feels tonally unbalanced at times with some really silly moments which don't exactly work The pacing does drag even for a period piece and that's probably the biggest flaw. That being said the film is beautifully shot and has some terrific cinematography.

Overall it may have it's faults and it will probably be forgotten about by the end of the year, but it's definitely one worth watching
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sure surprise
14 February 2020
Surprisingly enough, Sonic the Hedgehog isn't actually that bad. In fact it is actually pretty good for what it is. If you don't look at it from an overly critical viewpoint, there is a lot of fun to be had.

It maybe not be original and even though it's full of cliches, it is still an absolute blast. I was thoroughly entertained mainly due to the great Jim Carrey who steals the show. He is honestly the best thing about this film. James Marsden and Sonic who was voiced greatly by Ben Schwartz were great together.

The design for Sonic honestly is great and the film would suffer because of the original version because it would of been overly distracting. That being said the CGI overall is pretty good for the most part The film does use a lot of humour and some of it works but some of its feels really off but obviously this film is catered towards a younger version. Also there with a quicksilver-esque scene which was pretty cool.

The film reminds me of Detective Pikachu. It's a fun and charming film, but the more you look into it, the less great the film gets but still it is really worth watching, mainly cause of Jim Carrey.

Also it mentioned Keanu Reeves being a nation treasure and that was a great moment. I wouldn't mind a sequel because they did tease it well.
Good Zombie Film With Great Heart
13 February 2020
Out of the zombie films in 2019, this is probably the weakest of the three that I saw. It's still great though once you get past those first 20 minutes. It's only 93 minutes, it does fly by in pacing but those first 20 minutes weren't to great. But the films surprisingly has a lot of heart which worked really well. It puts the characters first instead of the zombies, more so in this once. There are a few amusing moments here and I don't really hate that much but zombie films can only do so much no matter how hard they try. Lupita Nyong'o is wonderful here. She really makes the film great. Alexander England is a really good character after the first 20 minutes. Josh Gad does give a great non-annoying character for once.

Overall it's a good zombie film even if it feels a little short at times especially with a lot of build up to the zombies. It's definitely worth watching but I just wish there was more meat at times
Disappointing sequel
12 February 2020
I wasn't that much of a fan of the first movie but I still had hopes this for this movie. Whilst it isn't a bad movie, it definitely is a step down from the first movie.

Unless you've escaped a mental asylum or on more drugs than all the riverdale writers put together, you shouldn't like the very uncharismatic Noah Centineo. He tries his best but he cones of so bland. He seriously effects the film and the chemistry with Lana Condor. Lana Condor is really great as is Jordan Fisher when they are on the screen, it becomes more investing.

My issue is that Lana Condor was a refreshingly different character in the first movie but here she feels like the other movies, the first movie didn't try to be. That being the film is sweet enough despite being riddled with more cliches than your typical teen film. The ending however is a let down.

That being said it is an enjoyable film which does have a lot of charm and heart but it just doesn't stand out that much. It is still worth watching and it's not exactly a bad film. I hope if they do a third movie I seriously hope it is better.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing sequel.
12 February 2020
I wasn't that much of a fan of the first movie but I still had hope for this movie. Whilst it isn't a bad movie, it definitely is a step down from the first movie.

Unless you've escaped a mental asylum, you shouldn't like the very uncharismatic Noah Centineo. He is not that good and easily the worst part of the movie. Jordan Fisher and Lana Condor are really great though.

My issue is that Lera Jean was a refreshingly different character in the first movie but here she feels like the other movies, the first movie didn't try to be.

That being said it is an insanely enjoyable film which does have a lot of charm and heart and the scenes with Lara and John Ambrose were much more investing to watch. Peter and Lara didn't have good chemistry that much, so this is why the ending is a let down.

It is still is worth watching. It isn't that bad. It just doesn't stand out.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect but still worth watching
11 February 2020
Military Wives is as formulaic as movies go, regardless the film is surprisingly good and it uses the formula really well. However it never aspires to be anything else preventing it from becoming a classic amongst the genre.

I haven't been familiar with the true story but from the start, you just know where it is all gonna go. It still works well but nothing is a surprise because of that. It still has some great moments and a fair amount of heart

It is seriously enjoyable and it is a likeable movie with a great cast. Kristen Scott Thomas and Sharon Horgan are great here. I'm sure there are many people who will like this film. I just can't see that much greatness in it. It's formulaic and does it's best to be a lovely and charming film but it does it in such a manipulative way, and I hate it when films do that. It is still worth watching though
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Who: Can You Hear Me? (2020)
Season 12, Episode 7
Has it's moment but still got a long way to go.
9 February 2020
Bradley Walsh is great and somehow the companions are having more depth this season. It's still has a lot go before being great but it is start. Jodie still does not do it for me. The old bald guy is great but message in the film feels very on the nose and not very subtle it's a weak story which isn't very exciting. The last ten minutes are decent though. It just had felt really lacklustre
16 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Nightingale (I) (2018)
Slightly overlong but still a great and unique revenge film
8 February 2020
The Nightingale is a great sophomore effort from Jennifer Kent. It's a uniquely executed revenge film and it works so well, it is not always perfect, but out of the films in the genre, it's one of the better ones. It hooks you fairly quickly, it is raw and shocking and it really works without becoming unnecessary or gratuitous. Aisling Franciosi is truly wonderful here, she really carry this film as does the antagonist Sam Claflin. Sam is wonderfully evil here and gives his best performance yet. Its truly a gorgeous looking film with stunning cinematography matched with terrifc direction. At 136 minutes it does feel a little stretched and could have been just as great even with 16 minutes shaved off. Overall it is a great film even with a stretched runtime and sometimes a very familiar story but it still is worth watching and Jennifer Kent is really talented.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwater (2020)
I love these kind of films but this wasn't it
7 February 2020
Now I always have a soft spot for films like Underwater. I love this films with a small group of people in an isolated place being under attacked by someone or something. Sadly Underwater isn't that good of a film despite me trying my best th like it. It's barely 90 minutes (excluding credits) and for the first 40 minutes I was kinda enjoying it but then it went downhill in quality, once I realized where this was going. Didn't really feel that intensity you were meant to feel. It just became more of aa action blockbuster than a tense isolated thriller. Kristen Stewart is decent enough and as the lead. Vincent Cassel and the rest of the cast were good. T.J. Miller however really annoyed me and his comedic relief didn't work whatsoever. The CGI was great, as was the production design, it looks really great and authentic. The creatures whilst they look good, sometimes more is less. And in this case it should have been.

Overall it is enjoyable and good for the first 40 minutes but then it quickly stumbles. It's not worth watching at all and it will be forgotten about
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robbie and McGregor are brilliant even if the film suffers a tad at times
5 February 2020
Birds of Prey is another great addition to the DCEU and whilst it certainly has its flaws, I absolutely had a blast with the film

Margot Robbit is perfect and she kills it. As for the supporting characters, they range genuinely are all good especially Mary Elizabeth Winstead who is awesome. As great as Ewan McGregor Is, he feels generic and kinda of a stupid villain although his over the topness does work well. The bad guys are great even if they aren't revolutionary. The story feels fresh and unique in style but if you look at the skeleton of a story, it really isn't anything special. I do love the cinematography and colours, it looks awesome. There are some really terrific scenes here. The action is great and done extremely well (thanks to having Chad Stahleski help), it looks great, shot great and well choreographed mostly. The slow motion doesn't work. Some of it feels brutal and I I that. My favourite action scenes were probably the one in the evidence room and the alley fight. But I do like the funhouse fight cause it's kinda original.

The reason why I like the DCEU is because all their films have different tones unlike the MCU which feel very samey despite being in different having different genres. As far as Marvel Humour Syndrome goes, it does suffer not massively though. It just is a tad cringe at times (only a few), the light heartedness does work a lot of the time, but sometimes it could have done without Overall as great as the film is, It could really use some more depth in the story, other than it is decent. But that being said it still is a win for the DCEU.
134 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't be too judgemental.
5 February 2020
The film has it's flaws, but don't give it 1 stars just because it has a diverse cast or because it's DC. The flaws in this superhero have been the exact same flaws in other MCU or DC movies. Stop being salty or stop hating cause its not Marvel (only generalizing)
42 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Who: Praxeus (2020)
Season 12, Episode 6
Pretty awful
2 February 2020
Starts of well but it quickly falls flat. Thankfully the companions are well put to good use here. The villains is terrible even if you could call it that. It just think it wraps up to quickly. It wasn't entertaining but an overall hollow episode with a message very similar to Oprhan 55
44 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dolittle (2020)
If RDJ can't save the film, then no one can
1 February 2020
Whilst Dolittle isn't a colossal disaster, it isn't a good movie. And no matter who plays the lead character, they wouldn't be able to save the film.

I feel sorry for RDJ although he is really talented, it's been so long since he has been able to use his talent in great films (not including his performance as Iron Man)

It had potential and the first half wasn't so bad but the film as a whole feels underwhelming in every way. A lack of humour, a lack of adventure and most importantly a lack of redeemable qualities. Everything feels off sadly.

The CGI is really iffy at times. The animals are fine. It's everything else which looks weird. Although the voice actors are pretty fine for the roles they were in

Overall I did enjoy some of it but it quickly fails as a movie and slowly unfolds into a disaster. Just avoid it, unless you want to see RDJ getting farted on by a Dragon
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad movie but not a memorable one either.
31 January 2020
The Rhythm Section isn't exactly a bad movie. We could have got a great riveting action thriller but instead we got a messy underwhelming movie with sadly very little to offer.

It does try to be a great film and thanks to Blake Lively and Jude Law, the film is manages not to crumble. Lively is great, she really does liven up the film. Sadly she has to work with a story which is very weak. Inhibiting her from her true potential.

It feels like the film builds up and builds up and suddenly ends in the most underwhelming and quickest way possible.

In terms of action, there is very little. The action scenes are filmed decently well. It's just after seeing action sequences from films in recent years like The Raid, Atomic Blonde and The John Wick trilogy. You can't help feel disappointed at the action.

Overall despite glimpses of potential with it's style and narrative, the film falls flat. And whilst it isn't a bad movie to watch, it isn't exactly a memorable one either.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uncut Gems (2019)
AMAZING.
31 January 2020
Asides from a brilliant performance from Robert Pattinson, I was not a fan of Good Times at all. So I'm happy to report the directors sophomore effort is miles better. Uncut Gems truly is electrifying from start to finish. It really is an anxiety filled film in the best way possible. That helps due to the directors brilliant style, the writing and the performances particularly from Adam Sandler. Adam Sandler gives his best performance by far. He really made this film. He is character so well done, he is scumbag but you kind of root for the guy. That was really well handled. Everyone was terrific as well. The constant arguing and shunting really works well here, it's brilliantly done to the point where it is frustrating (not in a bad way)

It is so rare we get a film like this, I genuinely done have any flaws. It's an impressively stylistic film which holds your interest constantly throughout leaving you relived once it is over. The ending was really unexpected and I really like it when a film does that.

Definitely one of the best films of 2019
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greed (I) (2019)
Lacks depth but consistently entertaining
29 January 2020
Greed is a fine film and nothing more. It is very inconsistent in quality but it is a seriously enjoyable biopic on Sir Richard McCreadie

This is one of those films which wouldn't have been as strong without its lead actor Steve Coogan. He honestly stole the show.

I feel like the film feels half baked, so it is quite noticable uneven at times in tone. The political aspect doesn't always go well the stylish comedic aspects. Although the latter works more well than the former.

I don't have anything wrong with the whole message these kind of films put out but they did it in such a dull way. The scenes preparing for the party and at the party are a lot more well done.

Overall it is pretty average and feels like this was wasted potential in in this. It's damn entertaining and a lot of fun at times but needs more substance in the political side of the film. It just feels tacky and the subplot with they refugees doesn't exactly work 100%
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
29 January 2020
I was a massive fan of both Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99, so I was hyped for this but sadly it's a disappointment. A massive one. Whilst Mel Gibson is terrific and Vince Vaughn has improved massively as an actor. The film struggles so much I'm a lot of aspects. It's a 90 minute movie in a 160 minute. It really is slow without the need for it being. It rarely is exciting and after a strong first 30 minutes, the movie falls flat. It's a shame though. Zahler's bleak and violent tones is great but it's hard to enjoy it in this type of film.

Overall it really is unimpressive in it's story and pacing. Gibson and Vaughn are great but the film not so much. I still think Zahler is still very talented and a highly impressive director.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Report (I) (2019)
Needs more of a punch
27 January 2020
I like a good political based film, I find them to be really something regardless if they are considered biased or propaganda. This film sadly wasn't one of them.

Roughly the same time, Official Secrets was released which was terrific. Sadly this wasn't. I think it's a film which doesn't always handle its subject matter in the most interesting of ways. It feels more like a history lesson than anything. Performances were terrific though from everyone. Adam Driver is becoming one of the best actors to come out of the 2010's. He steals the show here. Overall I think it's a film which came out to late. A few years ago it might have made more of an impact. It's one of those films which could have been such more but it is kinda a let down at times, that being said it was very interesting to watch
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.