Reviews

4,594 Reviews
Starting fresh
20 April 2018
That is true for the man in question here but also about me. I have not seen the first one yet, but I don't feel I have to, judging from what I saw here. And while this can act quite inspirational, it may also sway others to be annoyed by how obesity and health is handled here. I think it's quite clever and fresh and he also does not take himself too seriously.

Something you gotta give him credit for. He also points out the crazy thing about food, where one day something is considered unhealthy, the next day it is the thing to add to your diet plan. So while it tries to defuse rather than confuse you, (simplifying a lot of things, in a good way) and it does explain certain things. If this doesn't help you or acts as a motivation, I doubt there will be a documentary that will be able to do so ...
El Hilo Rojo (2016)
Connection
20 April 2018
The thin red linne ... that according to a "myth" (or whatever you want to call it) connects people. Also the title of the movie (not the exact words, especially not the thin part). Now we have two very beautiful people front and center and you can see where the attraction lie. You may have trouble understanding the actions they are taking, but it's human nature, right? At least that's how you can always explain things.

The acting is good and there are some decent twists along the way. While this is aimed at romantics, it may also contain things that appall them (and I am not talking about some minor nudity here but story related stuff). It's not a bad movie overall and if you are into that kind of movies, you will have something to keep your attention for a while
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Plötzlich Türke (2016 TV Movie)
Tough luck
20 April 2018
Apparently this is based on a true story, though I didn't bother to check if and how much of it really happened. It does feel that the movie takes creative liberties to heighten the drama and make it even more ridiculous than it already is (with the premise and all that).

Then again bureaucracy is really an "illness" in almost every country. On different degrees that is of course. While I never felt that german authoroties are that mad, in some regards I guess they are. Which still does not make this an entertaining or otherwise pleasant watch. Add the cliches and a slow pace to that crazy mix and I am not surprised the rating is way below average. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give the people involved the benefit of the doubt and try one of their other efforts ... though I can't vouch for them either
Lady Bird (2017)
Coming of age - Lady like
18 April 2018
Growing up is a hoot ... well for the observers or rather viewers of this that is. And if you have a really good movie like this. You can see why this had an impact at the Academy Awards, especially under the recent #metoo movement. Even if this was made way before and surely never thought to be a flagship of a movement like some make it to be.

If you like a good story, with great characters and really good (and funny) dialog, this is a movie to watch out for. If you've seen the trailer you may know a couple of the biggest jokes already, but the movie still works. One thing you also get from the trailer is the offbeat humor. You can tell if you like it or not. Quality wise there should not be anything to complain about
Winchester (2018)
That haunted feeling
18 April 2018
This feels like old school horror, with lingering shots and jump scares and a story to back it all up reaching into the past. And we do have a non-believer here who is going to investigate the mental status of another person. And while this may feel like a classic, for some this also may feel like it's cliche and way too hung up on things.

If you like horror movies and like the guessing game this is putting the viewer through (how much is happening and to whom and what is the purpose of it all?), then this movie is something for you to watch. Technically this is made very well and the acting is good too. That doesn't mean it's for everyone and I can see some people not liking the direction this is taking. Still more than decent and way above many other horror movies out there (although one should mention the budget is higher with this one of course).
(not) American Made
18 April 2018
So this is a whole different take on what American Made gave us (the one with Tom Cruise as a pilot). Now we get on the ground (no pun intended) and see what happened to all the drugs that came flying into America (again no pun intended). Now morally speaking you may wonder if and who really are victims here (I'd say the ones that got hooked on the drugs), but we also have the ones dealing (with) them.

One of them being Ricky Ross who is very prominently shown here, with some of his associates but also reporters and more people chipping in. Now if you are into Hip Hop the name Rick Ross is probably one that will ring a bell. It's a different person (duh!), but also one that according to the criminal/drug dealer Rick(y) Ross steal his name to get famous. But more on that in the movie itself (also the rappers quite weak explanation why he started using that artist name).

It's not an easy watch, but it is enticing and interesting to see a man who made a lot of money and how he tries to make up for it now (cynical people may feel a bit distressed and nauseous about it) ...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Al taking it to a whole new level
18 April 2018
Al Pacino does not even need all the senses to make us feel great. Seriously though while the movie itself might have been rated an 7 or 8, Pacino makes it really worth while. And while a young Phillip Seymour Hoffman is also a sight to be seen (I did imagine him playing the second lead a couple of times and it might have elevated this movie too), it's Chris O'Donell and his babyface and innocence we get served here.

And his performance is good too, playing the gullible pupil to Als mentor and teacher. But of course there is so much more to it. Even if the life lesson might feel a bit too "preachy" and even if some reactions by Chris may not be as subtle as you wish they were, this really is gripping and when Al starts to talk .. every bet is off. This could be used as masterclass in acting, not that it's something new when it comes to Al. There is some swearing (if you mind) and there are also some flaws - which can be overlooked easily in the presence of greatness ...
Newness (2017)
Due date
17 April 2018
For a movie that has relationship written all over it in the "modern era" (that is with cell phones and apps to find "love"), this really could be called a modern day love story. So while you could compare it to "Love", this is not as explicit as that (though you will have some nudiy in this too), but gets more involved into the characters.

One set up shows closeness physically, but characters being as far apart as possible. It could have gone wrong, too cliche, but the symbolism of it really hits home (no pun intended). The movie generally has quite a few themes, with "newness" being one of them. The pleasure one has to enjoy that. But even with one character living in the past, the connection to "new" is still there. The other character may not want anything newer, but that plays into the theme too. Especially when things get mixed up.

The movie tries to analyze a bit and give us a look into the psyche, but it not a psychological study. You can read a couple of things into it, but it does try to stay in the drama department and the general flow of the movie. Good themes, good acting and a good script about a ... new sort of love story
Close it up
17 April 2018
Do you like confusing movies? That are not giving you any real resolution but let you in the dark and leave your questions unanswered? Well you are in luck. This movie was made for you. Try not to get distracted by the lack of emotional attachment to the characters or a relatively weak script overall (that's dialog and characters).

Most of it will probably will leave you cold (no pun intended) and the trippy ending is not really satisfying. On the other hand, you could say points for not daring to be different in the end. Until then though, many cliches and jump scares ... if that floats your boat. Cinematography and generally technically sound (I've seen worse)
The Rehearsal (2016)
Acting out
17 April 2018
So using real life events in your artistic work is not really new. Not involving the people who are affected is mean to say the least, but this movie has this as the template. And while it can be "fun" to watch at times (being sarcastic unless you are mean and love the misery of others), it does not hold enough juice for the whole run time.

Overall it's a decent movie, the acting is decent and the flow of the movie is nice too. Depending if you like dramas and how you feel about characters exposing their private life, keeping secrets, others exposing them ... you may like this.
Heartthrob (2017)
Special kind of crazy
17 April 2018
Movies like these are tough, in more than one sense. Tough to make without dipping too much into cliches, tough to watch (for a variety of reasons mostly), tough for the actors to convince. Now I wouldn't call this a home run (read success on all fronts), but it does have an eerie feeling that kind of floats and runs through the whole movie.

The actors are doing their best and while some things seem improbable to say the least, the movie still holds onto some twisted logic. Although human emotion and perspective can not always be labelled as such. And that is more or less what you can expect from this. While it is about love, it is actually more about obsession and about possesion and about having something. About feeling something and not regarding how that effects others. About not being clear and about many other emotional things ... which can be considered strange when you think about how cold the movie probably will leave you
Bone to pick
16 April 2018
An austrian thriller that is quite off beat, but also very good. If you like your thriller to let you figure things out, but also have believable characters that are also very weird, you could do worse than this. Actually Josef Hader has quite a fan base, because of his dry style and humor.

This movie cherishes in that. You can't be squeamish either with this though, and while it has a glimpse of nudity, it also has cold blooded violence in there too, which you might find more disturbing (no pun intended). Then again, the movie does not shy away from trying to shock you, but only sporadically. Which works better, because it is rather slow paced and feels like it's holding back ... until the punches reign in.
Christmas spirit
16 April 2018
I guess this mostly works if you watch it as a warm up to Christmas. Also having seen the Frozen movie does help. Overall this does not have the quality of the Pixar short movies, so either we are spoiled in that regard or we may not be able to enjoy a simple short story. The little ones may be able to do so, unless they have been spoiled too of course.

If you love Olaf, you may not care about story or lack thereof. There are some jokes that are aimed at and for the parents. Some are not so bad and the overall morality is easy to digest if you are not too much of a cynic.
Black Panther (2018)
Once you go ... Panther
14 April 2018
Actually that is not entirely true, because you can go back. Then again that would not rhyme with Panther anyway. And not you as in you but Chadwick who ... well you'll know what I mean once you've seen the movie. But back to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I am really still surprised that people who loathe what Marvel has done, go and watch the movies and just see what they already made up their mind they will get served in the first place.

I'd say this has an original take to it. I do understand if you say they feel the same to you. If that is the case, don't bother watching them. Also I'm still surprised there are people out there who still haven't figured out there are stingers at the end of the movie. During and after the credits - stay tuned folks. Now another small incident that I witnessed that occured was when a couple came out of the movie an hour into it and upon me asking them if they were alright, they said they didn't like the movie. Fair enough, we all like different things. Someone else asked them why though ... and their answer was that it was racist and cliche. Two white people claiming to know what black people think? Yep that surely must be the wrong side of "woke".

Enjoy a movie that is more than just a movie. It was made and became a phenomenon. Now besides the "Tolkien white guys" (a joke that was made on set apparently, according to one of the two white guys in the movie, Martin Freeman), this gives us a movie made under the helm of Marvel but creatively they put a lot of trust into their director. And this was something that touched a nerve in the public - rightfully so. Because apart from having a predominantly black cast (and director), this also is a very entertaining and good movie.

The movie itself gives us a closer look behind the mythology of the Panther. And it is quite interesting. There are a few hiccups along the ride, but the movie works overall. And it adds to the "universe". Those movies are supposed to be light and fun ... but they still can carry a small political message. Both are not mutually exclusive
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Double (knitted) thread
14 April 2018
Daniel Day Lewis - whatever the story is, you are guaranteed an acting masterclass with this guy. And while the pace of the movie will be trying for some (it is really slow), others will cherish it. You may also have the issue of likeability or general understanding of the actions the characters take. Especially Daniel's character does some very strange things - but all make sense in the microcosmos of the character that was written in the script and created by him.

The you have the female opposite. Actually two of them, but the one that is front and center is off to say the least too. And it makes sense within what she is trying to do. Even without being told everything about her past, you know the actress did her homework, because she is confident in what she does, even if we as viewers may not understand (at first). This drama will split those watching it then, but you can't fault the actors or the costume department or any other department for that matter that worked on this. Quality work
You Get Me (2017)
Psycho of the week
14 April 2018
You got got ... or something along those lines. The line between insanity and love seem to blur. Well at least here. And I guess our main character brought this upon himself. Then again when you have to deal with a person that crazy, even the small crazy things one does may seem reasonable (they are not). And all just because he didn't agree with his girlfriend and ... ah well don't try to overthink it, it just doesn't work.

If you like watching beautiful people, at least you get that. On the other hand is that really enough? And couldn't you just look at their pictures if that was the case? You wouldn't have to endure a painful story like this. Another reviewer stated that swimfan did it better ... not a lot, but a bit. And there are other movies out there, that have similar themes but work ...
Caught (I) (2015)
Get free
14 April 2018
TV thriller of the week I reckon. Though I should not put down TV work, there are quite a few good things being made, but this is more a run of the mill kind of thing and something that really is way predictable. It's not something that has to be bad for the movie, but in this case it just doesn't work well.

I like Anna but she does ham it up quite a bit It's almost a shame, almost like quite wasted. It's very cliche ridden and it will be difficult to really care when it is so over the top. Also the mother really wasn't convincing at all. Her emotions were important for the viewer ... Save yourself some time and watch something else instead
Things money can't buy
12 April 2018
You may or may not be aware of the fact that Christopher Plummer came on board after Kevin Spacey had to go amidst controversy (sexual allegations from the past). So bring in Christopher Plummer - and you may try to think at times how Kevin might have done the same thing. Try not to and instead enjoy the movie as it is.

Because you could also think about pay inequality during the re-shoots. The movie itself might have gotten some push through the controversy or it might have gotten people annoyed. I know I wanted to watch it anyway. And Ridley Scott is always a guarantee for quality, at least on the technical side. But I'd argue the story works here too. It may feel a bit cold and distant, but that's on purpose ...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Final run(through)
12 April 2018
So the trilogy comes to an end. And it is quite decent, even if it has its flaws. But at least they kept the whole thing quite short. Reoccuring characters and events continue to unfold. So it does make sense to have seen the other movies. Not sure how it is compared to the novels. Probably will not look as good for those who have read the source material.

The action and the effects are good. There may be some logical errors that you can decide to overlook or not. But it's overall a fun ride, especially if you have formed some kind of bond with the characters.
Courage and Opposition
12 April 2018
This is a nice and well done movie about a class that defied their teachers but more importantly, even if they didn't know it the tyranny of their goverment. It is more than decent and even if you may not always feel entirely convinced by the acting (I think it's way above average here and very good for a german cinema release to say the least), the movie has a (real life) story to tell.

You may not have been aware of this, and to be truthful neither were the pupils in this. Some things feel forced and some incidents may feel a bit over dramatized, but they work in the story that unfolds. Also the characters are really nicely drawn. There are quite a few emotional moments and quite a few were you may feel helpless too ... it really is about being involved, if you let the movie do that to you, you are in for an experience
The Post (2017)
Post it
12 April 2018
Actually this is very timely. In a time where the White House tries to silence and/or bully the press (and others for that matter), you wonder if you are thrown back ... back into time. And then you get this story and go: "Oh yeah, there was a time when the truth was not supposed to reach the public." On the other hand, how much does the overall public care? It seems like if some do not feel like they are being affected by some things surrounding them (see what happened with Facebook and if anything will change).

But back to this. And while this is not as good as last years Oscars contender about a newspaper and their reveal of a scandal, this is still more than solid and decent. Performances are really good, which is to be expected if you look at the actors involved.
Molly's Game (2017)
Rien ne va plus
12 April 2018
I know this is not about Roulette, but I hope you understand the joke I was trying to make. If not excuse the pun, though I reckon some may already have left without reading after that summary. For those who continue (thanks) let me reassure you, that the movie is about betting and about how a woman put a lot on the line - just because she could, but also because once you're on a certain track ... it's difficult to leave.

Jessica Chastain has a powerhouse performance in front of her and it's funny to hear how Aaron Sorkin felt about directing a script written by ... himself. Seems like he got an epiphany. It's not that easy and it's always nice to look at another job. I just hope he doesn't think too much about it, because the scripts he wrote were all good. And don't let the fact that this is based on a true story put it down for you ...
Darkest Hour (2017)
Light but heavy
12 April 2018
The central performance is really something. If you watch this you can see that Gary was a shoe-in for the Oscar. And that is not to put anyone else or rather their performances down. This is about a fantastic performance from a guy who always delivers and whose time it was to win the Golden Boy (aka Oscar).

But Academy Awards aside and maybe some of the jokes too, this is very talk heavy. And I could hear some people sigh the longer it went on. So while I didn't feel this was or rather is too long, I can understand if some people may not have the patience to really watch something like this for so long. If you are aware of that and critisize the movie for this, you are doing the movie a disservice and other potential viewers might not feel that way.

So while you can argue about the place in film history in general, you can't argue about the performances in this. The speeches could have gone wrong or backfired, but they didn't ... they actually made this really good. It's almost a shame quite a lot of it, is shown in the trailer
Road/dad trip
11 April 2018
A movie like this will not be on many peoples top list. But the actors really do a very good job. While I'm not the biggest fan of Owen Wilson, and he kind of just does his schtick here as with many other movies he's done, he really nails it. And there is a different side to him (well his character). So while this may feel a bit cliche (and it is), it does have its merits. Some of them can be found in the cast list.

Really good performances and a somewhat suspense and a who is it feeling. With two unlikely brothers having to find someone. There is a very weird and almost disgusting ("family") moment ... which is playing in out heads ... but it comes late into the movie and ... well you will have to endure and I'm sure you will be able to ...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Searching for ... aka the truth is out there
11 April 2018
We know in real life that it's not easy to solve a crime. And this movie is as real as it gets. The characters in it are stubborn, are faithful to their believes, are passionate and most of all flawed. Even Frances character, while fighting for something good, goes overboard at times. And the movie or other characters let her know about it.

The viewer also acknoledges of course. And the cast is more than impressive. You can feel every emotion and you can also understand motivation, even if not every viewer would act exactly the same way. There is humor in this, but this is more drama than I actually thought it would be. And even a seemingly thin sketched character like the one Sam Rockwell is playing has its merits ... just stick with it and you'll be rewarded