Reviews

5,112 Reviews
The Hard Way (2019)
It's never easy
19 July 2019
Yes you'll find quite an abundance in cliches here. And yes the dialog will never be considered Oscar or any other award there is - worthy. But that is not what you are signing up for here. You sign up for an action movie and the stunts themselves are more than decent. Not exceptional or amazingly awesome or whatever else, but not dissapointing either.

And while I get if some of the acting may be considered weak, that is never the case with Michael Jai White. And I'm not saying that because I am afraid that if one day I may meet him, he's going to kick my ass but because he really has gravitas. Now would I like to see him in something with more substance like Black Dynamite more often? You bet I would, but until then, I am content with stuff like this movie
Your Name. (2016)
Switching
19 July 2019
You get thrown into this and you have to figure out what is what. Unless you know the source material and/or read synopsis of the movie of course. I hadn't so some of the stuff came as a surprise but there is a lightness at the beginning of it, which switches or changes gear throughout the movie. I wouldn't go as far as to say "forget Disney". There's a different audience and a different feel to this movie for sure, why not have both? Instead of viewing something negatively take in the positive.

Animation is not everyones cup of tea, but if you have no issues with it, this is quite the ride with two characters and a lot of fantasy and drama thrown into the mix. It really is something and the repurcussions are felt ... and heavy
Carancho (2010)
Taking advantage of ...
19 July 2019
This is quite the bleak view on insurance scam - or whatever else you want to call it. It's quite slow and it is also really depressing to a degree, though it also has a love story (sort of) in the middle of it. The system is there for people to exploit it, but if those who are in one of their most vulnerale state get used and taken advantage of ... that is not cool.

But as always it is about the money and you could not tell people to do or act otherwise. Then again as I said before the love story might be a beacon of light. But it is always tough to hold on to that or rather get out of certain things. The great thing is how we get introduced to the characters. Everything feels real ... to a certain degree. Drama baby
Still ... Ted
15 July 2019
Are you curious about Ted Bundy? It's not the first time you heard his name I reckon. And it is a shame that despicable and horrible individuals like him get the fame they get. This really is disturbing and it get in depth about things that happened. And while there is Wikipedia and other outlets and there is always more to find, I think this is quite the comprehensive documentary. It may lay the most focus on Ted himself, but in the end isn't that what the name of the documentary is after all? (yes it is, in case you were wondering).

A lot of things get hinted at, a lot of archive material unearthed, a lot of crazy things that happened (like the escape from a courtroom and how it was handled). Really engaging and quite the story ... the human mind is quite a mystery ... It can be evil, but there can also be a lot of good. In this case it was very evil ...
Lister(s) to it
15 July 2019
Documentaries have become a huge thing and there is one for almost everything and kind of "everybody". If it ain't a universal thing, it can be a certain person/individual who is or was an artist. Like in this case - but this case also shows that maybe we don't need a movie about everyone.

Now some will find interesting bits in this (about his life and/or views), which is more than fair enough (almost everyone has something going for them and some interesting thing/trait). So while I wouldn't knock this down entirely like others have, there are far better documentaries out there. If you are not already familiar and a fan, I'd recommend using your time more wisely and otherwise
Lemmy (2010)
Heavy ... Life
15 July 2019
If you are a fan of Heavy Metal, Lemmy does not need an introduction. Depending on how much you are into it and how much you already know, the level of things you discover about Lemmy will vary. But even if you think you know everything about him, the movie is not wasted time. It will probably just enforce what you think and knew, but it is entertaining nevertheless.

It's incredible how down to earth he remained, it is less incredible how much love he gets from everyone (especially within the industry). So apart from his metal family we also get his "real" family and his son in particular. There are some neat revelations and a lot of great moments. It may be a term that has been overused otherwise, but in this case you really can say, that Metal would not have been the same and some of the groups might not have existed or at least not the form they did and are, if it wasn't for Lemmy and Motorhead ... we'll leave it at that and you waching this documentary
Whitney (2018)
Houston, you've got a problem
14 July 2019
Or to be more exact "had" a problem. And to be even more truthful, she had more than one. She had quite a few demons. And quite a lot of them get uncovered. This really goes in depth. You should be able to understand what she was like, how she felt and what it was like to be her. She had a lot to endure and she was quite insecure, which makes her really human.

And I guess everyone and their kids get interviewed for this too. Not all answer every question (Bobby Brown looking at you), but even those non answers are telling. Especially because they get undercut with family footage or something to underline a point. Still you as a viewer while getting the whole picture, you are left to assemble everything you get fed and make something of it.

Very neatly cut together and pieced together, with no stone unturned. You need everything not just the good things she did. While I never was a big fan of the "I will always love you" sond (and I think I'm not alone with that sentiment), I know get it more than way back when it came out. And while I also made fun of it (as many others), I hate how some people treated her personally and which is not just coined at her but different other celebrities too. She had feelings and she cared more than she should have about overall opinions and criticism (not objective critic that is).

Great documentary - even if you weren't a fan, there is so much to discover here
Zapped (2014 TV Movie)
Surviving
13 July 2019
Zendayas character really has a tough new constellation in her life. Her mother marries someone new and a lot of males (in form of a new father but especially in form of new brothers) come into her everyday life. But Zendaya herself survived this and it did not do anything bad to her career as another reviewer suggested 5 years ago.

I personally did not know her before Spiderman, but here we go, she obviously made movies way before that. And while this one is not a masterpiece - it's not a bad movie either. Predictable and full of cliches - but you can have fun with it. And if you are the target group (mostly girls, but especally teenagers), you migh even relish in it. Take it for what it is - a fun ride
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High Society (2018)
Forgotten Morals
13 July 2019
Ambition can be quite deceiving. But it is not just the ambition a person has himself, but also that of individuals who are close to that person. And the theme here is quite something. Infidelity is wrong (at least morally above all) - but how does that make an impact on a couple? And what lengths should they go for their own goals? It is these questions the movie asks, that are quite riveting and that are really relatable.

I am a bit surprised this has such a low rating and I have a bit of an affection towards Korean movies from the get go, so maybe I am biased. But as mentioned this really does not just go for society as a whole (not only the upper class, though they are the "main" target), but really focuses on the personal level and sacrifices when it comes to the way to the top ... The ending may be something that people will disagree with, but I liked where it went and I liked the realness of the characters too (flaws and all)
Bad Seeds (2018)
Bad seeds - what are they good for?
13 July 2019
And in contrast to war, there is a different answer. If you didn't get my music reference don't worry, this is still about this movie and you should get what I'm trying to figure out with my question nevertheless. Can someone who has become a certain way (due to certain living standards, paths he or she took and other stuff) actually change? It's a main theme in this movie.

The movie may be predictable (although I had a moment of thinking of too many double crosses and coincidences), but it still is nice to watch. You have many different characters and all of them have certain flaws ... and you see them develop and overcome some of those flaws ... blossom to take the seed analogy ... but are the roots stronger or the mind too weak still? And where exactly would a good development go, if it happens?
Montana (2014)
B movie action
13 July 2019
What a throwback - into the 80s and 90s. Action movies like this were made back then, with a similar amount of violence and a similar "story" (bare minimum). It is the action scenes that will leave an impression on you. If you care for them that is. The story is not really something you will remember long after watching the movie.

Also Mads Mikkelsen brother - you may not know him, but once you see his name it's like: of course. I first really saw him in House of Cards and even though he is far removed from a Russian or a Serbian, it seems like eastern european is written all over his face. And he really convinces in those roles. A second skin and all that. So sit back, watch the mayhem unfold and enjoy the show if you can
Ánimas (2018)
Long way to go
13 July 2019
Sweet dreams are made of these ... or is it sweet movies? Psychological movies? What kind of movies are we talking about again? And yes this is quite a ride you are in for. But while it is one you may not entirely predict, it may still be frustrating. Being original or at least not too cliche can have its downfalls too you see? And this movie is proof of that.

Now I rather have something that challenges me, than just something that is boring from the first frames and uninspired at that. But this is quite the mind bender and may have gone overboard a bit. It's wicked story with a wicked ending - and may be something that will make you go back and revisiti it. Or at least parts of it. Don't read too much about the story, so you won't be spoiled though - it would take away the fun you could have
Shaft (2019)
Shut your mouth
13 July 2019
You don't have to worry the iconic line is there. How could you make a Shaft movie without a reference to the bad mother ... ok ok I will shut my mouth. Now I dig and I understand if some people are either offended by the language, attitude or the flaws the characters have in general. Having said that though, they have to have them. What journey would go through if they were "perfect" already? Exactly my point.

Yes you can argue that there are certain stereotypes that are being used (what women want, how men behave etc). And it might even be funnier if the son of Shaft was actually homosexual (the dynamic in that would have been quite something). But this is not that movie. And yet it is still the movie any fan of Shaft and of Samuel L. Jackson would have wanted this to be. A lot of comedy, a lot swearing and quite some action in there too. And while juvenile and gross at times, still very respectful to the legacy (you're probably aware who else will show up besides Sam and his son, but if not, have fun getting there).

I was hoping to watch this at cinemas, but unfortunately this was only the case in America. Everywhere else in the world it was a case of Netflix (and chill - some should take this literally). Can't have everything now can you?
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Patience
13 July 2019
Are you into Golf? How exciting is the game for you? Now I would not say that I am a fan of the game itself. As in I don't really watch the tournaments and I don't play it myself. Having said that, the way the movie portrays and shoots and displays everything is quite exceptional.

So you get sucked into this world, but of course it is more than that. It is real life and it is people that existed and things that happened (more or less, creative freedom and all that). Good actors elevate it and it does feel like a Disney kids movie to a degree. Which I don't say with any bad sentiment, rather the opposite, as in quality wise. Still we know how these movies work and unless you are under a certain age, you will probably not be too surprised or enamoured by it. Good movie, nothing more, nothing less
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Last Laugh (I) (2019)
Up to (no good?)
13 July 2019
If you were wondering, what is Richard Dreyfuss up to? Well here's the answer. And it's nice to see him once again. And whatever your feelings are towards Netflix, you have to acknowledge that they do try and push and help artists fulfill their projects. So him paired up with Chevy Chase is really quite something. Add a few other actors of that generation but also a few younger ones for good measure and you get a decent comedy.

Actually the ending is quite something and may be able to get you going emotional. I know I did and it really achieved something. It is never too late for certain things and your goals are always something worth seeking out ... Sentimental? Yes. Great actors? Also yes - now it only depends on your personal taste ...
7 Days Out (2018– )
Lead in
13 July 2019
It's not the aftermath (though you get a bit of that too), but rather the lead up and into an "event". Now that may be the crux of it all for some though. The docu series is well done and it really has a nice pace overall to it. The question for some of the viewers may be: am I interested in a dog show? In a fashion event? Re-opening of a restaurant? Or whatever will come next (in season 2 and so forth)? If the answer is yes, I don't think you need me or anyone else to further convey and convince you to watch this.

If not, well you know the answer to this one too. Interviews are good and you can imagine there is so much more stuff that could not make it into the running time of every episode. Again depending on your taste, you may find certain episodes more enticing and exciting than others ... that will be up to you and maybe you'll watch only those ...
Without rules
13 July 2019
Let's star in a horror movie. A PG-13 horror movie that is based on slasher films. Well if that sounds a bit toothless, I can assure you that many will look upon it that way. There's almost no blood on display (except for one scene) and there are also other "major" ingredients missing. The original plan was to make it an R-rated movie, which did not happen obviously. There are quite a few fun bits of trivia like that in the audio commentary (though according to them only 14 year olds listen to them - another joke in case that wasn't clear).

Now up until now that may all have sounded quite harsh, which was not my intention. The movie is good fun, but I wanted to make sure people know what they get themselves into (no pun intended). A CGI crash early on in the movie is quite well done and nice to watch. As are the characters, that are a bit of a parody of whatever went on in the 80s. The actors have a lot of fun and it shows. Still there are too many conveniences and coincidences, an ending that tries to be clever and other things you'll either like or be annoyed by. Try to watch it without thinking too much and you'll have a good time - do not compare it with things like Cabin in the Woods though
Morally wrong
13 July 2019
And also based on probably true stories. I have not read the book/short stories this is based on. Apparently the author was telling or writing about his own (sex/party) life. Now if that already sounds like you'll be offended - I wonder how you made it past the title.

But all that aside, the main character/side-kick could be considered a grown up, but very far removed fro mature Stifler. Stifler was a character from American Pie and he was not liked by many to put it mildly. But you do need characters like that, especially if you want to show a journey. It's like with another one of the friends who's so negative, you wonder if there is any saving grace with him.

Language is foul, nudity and many other things that can be shocking. Even a scene of literal toilet humor - something I personally did not really care for, but was there for a purpose ... and quite a few jokes too of course. The acting is more than solid and the story makes sense. Again, if you are not easily offended, because the movie does everything to push you over the edge. Quite a few fine actors here and while it is juvenile, it does have a heart. I did not expect much watching this, but was more than surprised how well directed/acted it was
More mystery to ...
8 July 2019
... uncover? Well researched but as with the other Remastered episodes you should not expect definitve answers. Still if you like documentaries and like to be enlighten about things you may not have heard of before or at least see things you knew from different perspectives - this will be something you will cherish and love too.

In depth research as with the other episodes I've seen (not all of them of course) and a real structure that makes sense. The timeline is good and there is even people who still seem to be afraid to show their faces when they speak about what happened ... consequences and all that. Not entirely satisfying (for the resolution or lack thereof), but still quite good
Quite a character
8 July 2019
You sometimes come by a curious documentary where you wonder: Who is that? What is this about? Do I want to watch it? Will it be worth my time? Or maybe you just take a look here on imdb and you're like, let's give it a shot. And you discover a man who's quite out there. Very crazy, very discomforting and someone you will most likely hate too ... but that's the deal, right? Whatever you think of him, he did it his way.

And it couldn't have been that wrong, having a documentary out now. And a really insightful and good one at that. Many interviews, many soundbites and a lot of fun with quite a bit of controversy mixed in for good measure. Not everything he said will play well with audiences ... but that's just how it is
Revenger (2018)
Battle Island
8 July 2019
Do you like action movies? It's almost as simple as that if you want to know if the movie is something for you to watch. While I do think the main character lacks a bit of charisma overall, the fight choreography is quite something. You will see a lot of violence and stunts. There is not that much of a story, the premise is in the title obviously.

Also the third act is almost ... needless. It's getting way too heavy and serious and ups the stakes to a degree that the movie is never able to profit from. Quite the opposite. I can see many viewers getting rather angry about certain developments. But overall a decent effort
Easy
8 July 2019
How gullible can people be? How trustworthy can they be? And what if someone takes that trust and turns it against them? Well then you get a case like the one depicted here. You may get a neck injury from the headshaking and disbelief you will find yourself in. But apparently this really happened ... and it's really far out there if you think about it.

The people who are being interviewed are at least refreshingly honest. If you can stomach the really despicable things that happened, you will be in awe about how this all could happen ... well in plain sight! There's a reason it is in the title of this documentary. Human nature ... unpredictable, lacking moral compass at times, being taken advantage of and so many more things that can be seen here ...
Solo (II) (2018)
Nightmare (scenario)
8 July 2019
There are situations you do not wish upon other people (not even your enemies if you are a decent human being). But our main character here finds himself in a position where he seems helpless ... is helpless. If the movie only had him for the whole running time, we might have gotten bored, but the movie knows we need more and we get exactly that.

Like with 127 hours we get flashbacks and other "flashes" too. Like with that American movie (both based on true stories), we also need a strong actor in the main role. I personaly think he carries the load, but in the end it's something you have to decide ... Overall a more than decent effort and if you don't get bored by movies like this, you will like it
Dark Phoenix (2019)
Ex-(Wo)Men
8 July 2019
Or as Deadpool would say: X-People. But let's leave the "woke" part for now and not concentrate on that. Let's take a moment and acknowledge that this is the last one of a cycle of X-movies Fox produced ... before Marvel/Disney took over. Now the Box office would suggest that this is not a very good last outing and I can understand some of the criticisms the movie received. It's not the best one of them all for sure.

But I've seen worse movies and this just tries to entertain, even if it fails to be coherent throughout. The probably troubled production might have to do with the mentioned power shift. New mutants (which is another movie in the not MCU X-Men universe) was delayed a few times ... now it's pushed back all the way into 2020 ... will it see the day of light? Do people care? Do a lot of people care, is what I'm trying to say. Wherever you stand on those movies, if you don't have the right mind set, you are wasting your time entirely. Even a weaker effort (with quite a punch/massive twist if it hadn't been revealed on multiple occasions it would have been quite shocking as a development) like this one can entertain ...
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Free for all
8 July 2019
Where could John Wick go? And yes pun intended or rather multiple meanings implied. As you can tell by a third installment, he still had places to go, things to do and people to kill. Though his motivations are different now. While it is not necessary to have seen the other Wick movies, it does make sense. They are also quite good, if you like action flicks.

So John is a persona non grata ... he is the target for other killers and who doesn't like a bounty/money? Well some may have been better off if they just passed on this "opportunity", but that wouldn't have made for a good movie now, would it? We also get a couple of new characters, portrayed by Halle Berry and Marc Dacascos. The latter may be the main antagonist, but he is very likely to become a favorite for a lot of audience members. Amongst all the action and mayhem (not for kids then), there is quite some wicked humor. It is necessary to lighten up the whole thing, not because of any need to cover for bad stunts - quite the opposite is the case. The choreography is top notch once again and there is no fatigue breaking in ... well bring on Part 4 then