Reviews

5,215 Reviews
Another day, another crime
19 August 2019
It is tough to guess how this may play out, if you are not aware of the previous movies that have been made. Then again those who have read the novels may feel the same when it comes to those who only know the movies (I am being one of the just movie watchers). I heard from those people that the books have some extra juice which is not surprising, considering the big history of novels translated to movies.

But back to this and back to our beloved characters. We know them and we love them, with all their flaws and faults. Our main character still reluctantly doing police work. Only thing he is more reluctant at is his relationship to his girlfriend and their child. The movie is really a lot of fun and if this is the last of them (certain things point to that), it would be a worthy ending ... if not, I'm happy to see more (mis)adventures!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anna (II) (2019)
Not a riddle
19 August 2019
Having a female lead that incorporates strength, power, sexy and style was paramount. And because they found one, this works quite nicely. Of course having Helen Mirren and the other actors to support her and the story helps too. But let's keep it real, this is a thriller that does not care much about making sense or being coherent.

It does care about exciting the viewer and in that it succeeds. Action, stunts and thrill are all there, with quite a few twists and turns to help giving this a boost. This is quite the interesting movie but not one that will work your brain too much, it's a movie that will speak to anyones instincts - and those will be not just engaged and in a very satisfactory fashion
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rebels (2019)
A simple (rebel) plan
19 August 2019
Actually not really simple and not really a plan. Then again as many saying goes you can't plan things. And in this case a lost soul returns to her home town/city, meeting many old friends, but also a few new ones. But how friendly are the new friends? That is something for the viewer to find out.

The movie has quite some violent outbursts and it also has a few scenes, where you may wonder why the tension when it wasn't necessary. But it's a movie and it's here to entertain us. Really well acted and the tension keeps you on the edge of your seat even if you kind of can guess where it is going many times.
Someone Great (2019)
Not just someone
19 August 2019
A rom com, but with a deeper philosophical view on things. With "realness" when it comes to feelings, friendship and growing up (or not). Now of course since this concentrates mainly on the female cast (3 best friends) it may not resonate with all viewers. You make of that statement what you will, just keeping it real.

Having said that, the leads are incredible and no matter your gender you should be able to relate. This is not Sex and the City, but women talk about stuff which should not be surprising to anyone anymore. The fact that the actresses in this go all out in some scenes, not minding the craziness of some of the scenes makes it even better and more down to earth and accessible.

If that sounds like something you might like, give it a shot. It really has some strong themes and it delivers on what it sets out to do
Strange neighbors
19 August 2019
Now you figure out who is the strangest ... having said that current political movements in Hong Kong make this almost too real. It is not of course and people protesting in the streets is quite something different than occupants of flats going at it or each other.

As the title suggest there is a home with a view but that does change with a set up of a billboard. Not cool, but change is something that will happen in life. While this treats this as a comedy, it also incorporates a lot of violence too (for a comedy that is). Take it as it is and enjoy if possible, as this is quite decent
Mary's Land (2013)
Yeah, that was weird ... yes?
19 August 2019
Now this is a documentary, but it also depicts stories/feelings the interviewees are calling and telling us about with fictional footage. When the Adam and Eve story came up with them having a bite out of an ... apricose, you might already have scratched your head a dozen of times. But it's up to you what you make of such a free interpretation of things and how you receive and perceive the humor of it all in the end.

There are many segments and they all have a different pace and dynamic. It still works quite neatly and is edited very well. Not sure it will change anyones mind, but it sure is entertaining to watch, if you are not to hateful against those depicted here
The Drug King (2018)
(Drug) Train to Busan
19 August 2019
Though obviously ship would be more fitting, but that other movie I was riffing off is called Train to Busan, so ... anyway, just a small joke in the summary line, hope you don't mind. The movie itself has Kang-Ho Song in the lead and if you are as bad as I am in remembering names at times, you might not immediately know who that is, but if you've watched more than 1 Korean movie, it is more than likely you've seen him.

Netflix has gotten into the producing movies market and not a minute too late if you think about Disney shortly coming up with their own streaming service. And with content like this Netflix might have a chance against other giants. This is a straight up crime story with really good acting and the comedy you might already know from other movies. Violence is also there and quite something, so also not for the squeamish ... A good movie with a really good cast then
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Newtown (2016)
Never again
19 August 2019
Is something everyone with just the slightest slice of empathy and emotion must have after watching this. And yet time and time again, mass shootings happen in America and nothing is really been done to stop them. Depending on your stance on certain things, you may already accuse me of talking about a ban for all weapons. Or you may think I want everyone to have guns, or that there have been some changes law-wise.

The latter is only slightly true, especially when the current administration negated some of it (concerning the mentally challenged and them being able to purchase weapons). It is quite a powerful documentary with a lot of emotions and a lot to swallow. There are things that should never have happened ... and yet here we are ... again and again and again (unfortunately)
Banshee (2013–2016)
Who shot the sheriff?
19 August 2019
My summary line is meant as small "stab"/joke, but not a question that will keep you up at night. We have a stranger coming to town, looking for something and someone. Sometimes finding what you are looking for is not enough though. Especially when it is not enough. Now that may sound cryptic - because it is. There are the things that are right there in front of you and then there are the things behind the mask/curtain.

It's not exactly yin and yang, it is more than that. But the show is not for the faint hearted or squeamish for that matter. There is a lot of violence and nudity in it. Nothing is in here without serving some purpose, be it establishing characters, furthering a point or just making one. If you don't like or are easily offended,, best thing to do is not watch the show.

If you are ok with it, the action especially will blow your mind. And while even in the pilot you get a chase scene that is quite incredible in its use of special effects (watch the making of if you have the box set), there is one particular fight that sets new standards on what is possible on TV. Talking about Season 3 Episode 3 with a fight I didn't know I wanted or needed, but I enjoyed in a way that is difficult to describe in words.

That aside the story has its flaws. There are strands in the story that get put to the side - forgotten. Characters are not all entirely resolved and other smaller things you might have questions about. But this is nitpicking, because the thing it sets out to do (entertain us), it achieves quite easily. It is set in reality but is quite hyper real - it's above and beyond other things. Generally speaking it also defies expectations - in a good way.. If you are not convinced yet, I don't know what else you need to hear (the international cast is spot on too)
Can't fly without wings
19 August 2019
A documentary that to some may feel unfulfilled. We have a spy who was quite the figure. Many things remain unknown about his motives, about his believes, about whom he worked for. Or for how many people. What seems pretty clear is that he didn't just jump and try to fly. I think everyone can agree that that would be quite convinient and totally wrong.

But who did it then? One of the many things the documentary tries to reveal. Again there will be a lot of people who are not satisfied with this and what it actually says. I understand people who argue that it goes in circles or repeats certain talking points. It still is done very well over all. Could have been shorter for sure, but don't hold it against it
Action with thought
19 August 2019
That poster looks like quite the b-movie action movie. But there is more to it that first seems to touch the surface. This pits terrorism and other really tough subject matters against the action and what the viewer may expect or wants to see in general.

So while the action is quite decent, it is not just mindless stunts. The acting is ok but never gets you too much involved sadly. The theme is quite something and really admirable, depending on what the viewer takes out of it. The realization could have been better, which undercuts the message a bit.
Cheap
19 August 2019
Danny Boon is never really cheap - his character here on the other hand: yes that is one cheap ... Dude. Now if you are a fan of his, I don't have to convince you. You know what he is capable of. If you don't know him, I would suggest you watch the trailer to see if he hits the humor spot with your taste. Because it always is something different for viewers.

I can argue that most things work, especially because his character has a lot to learn. And while he may seem despicable at first (though some may sympathize with him more I reckon), we still the pain he is going through. Yes that pain is somewhat superficial, but that doesn't mean our main character isn't hurt. Yes it is also predictable, but it is also quite fun to watch. It is heightened to a degree you may wonder if real people would act the same way sometimes ... but that would take the fun out of it. It is slightly based in reality of course, but has not put roots down ... just a comedy then, but a quite good/decent one
Uncle Buck (1989)
Uncle Candy
19 August 2019
Watching this, it makes it clear why John Candy was so loved. By his co stars, by the audience, I would assume by almost everyone. And while he is only acting here, I would guess he was a fine person too. But that aside, because I can't know myself (apart from all the actors confirming that that is), the movie is really funny and I am glad I had a chance to watch it recently.

It is quite predictable and some jokes may not have aged well (or may not respond with first time viewers of a certain age). But overall the comedy is way funny! You can be offended by some of it (especially when it comes to subjects of violence), but you would be missing out on all the fun. This is a movie after all and John is supposed to channel a few things and do those things that we can't do. He also is supposed to be a role model and I would argue a pretty fine one, even if quite un-conventional! Watch and have fun and don't judge if you can
Them ...
19 August 2019
... against us. Now I wouldn't call myself a big fan of the home invasion "genre". Even less of a fan of movies that are "based on true events". The latter is something you might only realize after the movie is over. Maybe some already knew, but those not aware just watch this for what it is: a tension filled thriller, where you wonder what is going to happen.

But I reckon even if you do know, this works, because of the horror it depicts and the survival element of it all. What would you do? Remember this is the 60s, no internet, no cell phone (which makes the whole no service nonsense obsolete other newer horror movies have to deal with). This gets down and dirty so be prepared for that - and while I wouldn't say enjoy, I would say "be scared" and root for our characters
Alien Warfare (2019)
Not really good
19 August 2019
But they are trying and I have seen worse. Now that might not be a meter or a bar you want to hold your movies accountable by, but I'm just keeping it real. It has certain elements (mixed group of people against a strong/powerful enemy), with a certain amount of humor. The movie is aware it is not the best out there and has not the biggest budget to do the action scenes.

Acting is not good, stunts are just ok and the CGI is more than obvious. Now I would not recommend this to anyone, but I would not judge anyone who is into low budget movies if they find something appealing in this. Be it the characters or the quite out there "story".
Twins (1988)
Obviously
19 August 2019
I don't even know why I never came around to watch this until the other day. Maybe I thought this was quite weird and probably not as good as it turned out to be. Don't get me wrong there are things that did not age well (occasional sexism for example), but are a testament of the time and what people considered funny ... well "back then".

Arnold and Danny are quite the pair and yes they are unlikely, not just in their physical appearance but also their inner traits and values. The humor is mostly spot on and even though you know where this is going, the feel good vibe (with some added punching and action you couldn't do without) is quite overwhelming and should be able to get to you
Within (2016)
It could happen to you
19 August 2019
Well if you act quite unnaturally that is, but then again the movie likes to point out that at least to a lesser degree, since poverty has gone up, people might do weird things. And I would consider what happens here weird at least. And while the movie does achieve to build up tension and hold it mostly throughout the movie, the ending ... well that is not so good.

Very convinient things are happening and very bad behaviour is coming up. Now during "action"/stunt scenes or when the tension is high some may not think about what they are seeing ... but if you don't question the way the characters "act" towards the end ... well frankly you are better off and probably will enjoy this even more. For me the ending almost spoiled the whole thing completely
Runaway Train (1985)
How crazy can you go
19 August 2019
The story itself is pretty straightforward (no pun intended, that would be off the rails - ok maybe it was intended). The acting on the other hand is anything but straight - well you'll know once you watch. Now you can recognize that there is a lot of quality, but I would not judge anyone who might think this went off a cliff or edge.

I was surprised to see that this got Oscar nominations for the two male leads (though Eric Roberts was seen as supporting actor I reckon). Both are quite unhinged and both are weird to say the least. Some might find them despicable at best and annoying at worst. If that will distract you from the movie (which is possible), you might wonder why the high rating. Technically though this is quite the achievement. The momentum, the editing, the pacing in general is really more than well done, which makes a good thriller. And if you can get behind that, you are in for a ride ...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Perfect Date (I) (2019)
Dating can be tough
11 August 2019
Well this is of course not the first movie to have males offering themselves to be dated. But this takes it to the teen genre and it does quite a fine job with it. I mean it is predictable to a "t", but it is also lovely. We know who is meant for each the moment we see them. But it is refreshing to see that the "others" are not too much of a caricature of a human being.

There is a lesson to be learned or a moral compass or whatever you want to call it. Some things are not what they seem. And while some may say this advocates settling for less than you set your sights on, you could make a completely different argument altogether about what one really needs pitted against being delusional. So don't nitpick and you might be entertained
History lesson (not)
11 August 2019
As with almost every Sword and Sandals movie, you get some historical thing or figure and than the movie runs with it. In this case it does not take it and runs completely away with it, which has been the case before. No it does stay in a timeline that is quite close to History.

Having said that, do not take anything that happens at face value. This is her to entertain and while the 60s proved to be filled even more with Sword and Sandals in Italy, this has the formula/bluepring down
Muscle invasion
11 August 2019
All those big muscle man, with their oiled up bodies - not sure how appealing that does sound, but that is the formula for Sword and Sandals movies. And while there have been more Hercules/Maciste movies than you can count, this is a "different" hero, but the same formula.

Still the fight scenes and the costumes are nice. Yes props may seem laughable nowadays, but never forget the budget these had. There is a camaraderie in this one that most single protagonist movies did not really have, if that is something you are interested in
Another Hercules
11 August 2019
Quite a few actors portrayed Hercules in all the Sword and Sandals movies. Lupus is on the case in this one and he has a mighty weapon. Which may make you wonder if Hercules would even need that I reckon, but then again, there is no reason to question anything in these movies.

Oiled bodies and some fight scenes included this is another one of thoes and will either entertain you, because you are into the movies or not. Costumes are nicely chosen and the sets were also fine. Of course most is being reused, which is more than ok
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You won't like Hercules when he's angry
11 August 2019
Then again why would you anger him? Bad people will be bad people and Hercules (or the idea of him) will defend the good every chance he gets. So in his essence the Sword and Sandals movies got it right I would argue, even if historical accuracy was never a goal.

You get quite crazy scenes, where Hercules shows off his strength and you may wonder if you could call him a superhero (I reckon yes). Muscles and other oiled parts of the body included.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Walker (1987)
Ed Harris crushes it
10 August 2019
So as Alex Cox say himself, not many in America (or many other parts of the world) know the story of this man. Don't expect this to be totally historically accurate (actually it does break quite a few conventions and rules and timelines and ... well a lot of things, some may seem weird to say the least). But it goes a long way to show a man going ... crazy.

Redemption is hard, especially when you lose all sense of ... everything. Ed Harris is a phenomenal actor. You already know this or you will after watchng this. There's so much emotion and sadness and contempt he can display and not ever say one line of dialog. All the while being so charismatic that you still root for him ... a little bit at least. Maybe there comes a point of no return or maybe you are sticking with him all the way ... Quite the ride you are about to embark
Let's get it over with
10 August 2019
This was pleasantly short. I thought the DVD this was on might be cut - I mean under an hour? This couldn't be true now could it? But yes it was and while I don't really have the will or time to gather more information about the backstory to do it this way, whoever likes Sword and Sandal movies and (wet) rubber monsters can watch this (wait that sounded bad - ah well you know what I mean in the end, don't you?).

So yes no historical accuracy once again, but don't expect that with those types of movies anyway ...