Reviews

1,323 Reviews
Peterloo (2018)
If you like to watch people having speeches for almost an entire movie be my guest.
24 April 2019
I don't know what I missed while watching Peterloo but I'm definitely not satisfied as most of the other reviewers are. The movie was way too long, but the major issue were the repetitive scenes of people holding a speech for almost ninety percent of the movie. I don't mind a little speech every now and then if it contributes to the story but in this case it just quickly became very annoying. The story of the 1819 Peterloo Massacre is a story that deserves to be told but this movie just failed bringing that. The costumes were not bad but the extras are obviously not actors and shouldn't get that much of screen time. It looked all done by amateurs at one point. I fell asleep twice and so I had to restart those missed scenes to be certain I didn't miss anything and honestly I could just have skipped those scenes as it was the same arguing all the time. To me this was just a boring movie that could have been so much better when you know the full story.
Stree (2018)
Remove the dancing and singing and you have a good movie.
24 April 2019
I have mixed feelings about Stree after watching it but overal it was a satisfying movie. It's just too bad that they always have to do their stupid dancing and singing in those Indian movies. Fortunately there were only a couple of those moments. Remove those two scenes and you have a movie with a good sense of humor and a monster (Stree) that isn't badly done (if you just forget about the monster floating around while chasing you as that is obviously done with a drone). The dialogues are also between good and bad. Listening to a couple grown men whining for their mother is a bit stupid, but the acting of Rajkummar Rao makes up for all that. His uncertain stuttering and shy character are definitely the best thing in this movie. I really enjoyed his acting. Overal the movie was entertaining, just too bad of the unnecessary Bollywood scenes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Craig Cobb is 11% African. I think he should shoot himself.
23 April 2019
As much as I hate white supremacists as well as any other intolerant movement this was interesting to watch as this documentary is very well made. There is footage from both sides of the town habitants. So I really can't agree with other reviewers claiming the white supremacist didn't get his say. Instead I thought he got plenty of air time to explain his case but the only thing you can witness is his faul and disgusting vision of life. In fact everything he says and does sums their narrow vision very well, they are all a bunch of intolerant retards that belong in jail or in a grave. The world would be better off without this kind of parasites that blaim everything that goes wrong in their pathetic life to Jewish or people of African origin. Craig Cobb, with his self declared high IQ, is in fact dumber than a box of rocks. His mate, sorry I forgot the retards name, is the exact specimen you can expect with these kind of people, low and uneducated white thrash with the only hability to reproduce alot and so to continue the lineage of dumbasses. The irony is that he sees himself as an Aryen, one of the pure white race. It's just too funny for words, for that you have to watch this documentary yourself so that you can witness what their Aryens are supposed to look like. Respect to all the people that opposed themselves to those scums of the earth. The documentary also shows how ridicule the first amendment is. Americans should be deeply ashamed to tolerate hate groups in their country. If you preach hate, violence and even extermination of another race you belong in jail, that's it. No first amendment should protecting that kind of behavior. Shame on you America.
Inside Man (2006)
My kind of movie in this genre.
22 April 2019
In the crime/mystery genre Inside Man is just a bit better than a normal good movie. It's not excellent though, for that the heist is just too far fetched and perfect. Everybody likes to watch the perfect heist but in this case it's a bit exaggerated. But other than that small detail the rest of the movie is suspenseful, or at least it keeps you attentive as you keep wondering what will happen. For that there was the excellent interaction between Denzel Washington and Clive Owen. Both did a great job with their characters. The whole cast was perfect for this story. Spike Lee made another entertaining movie, one that I will watch again in a few years.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The complexity of the brain.
22 April 2019
It must have take some bravery from Lotje Sodderland to make this documentary, or better to be the guinea pig for this documentary about her brain after she suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. It must not have been easy to do that as she must have thousands of other more important things to do, learning basic things that we take for granted from scratch again. The documentary is well made, with some emotional passages that make you think it could happen to all of us. In one second your life could take a complete turn so we should enjoy every moment we have here. That's the lesson I learned after watching My Beautiful Broken Brain.
Come Simi (2015)
A couple good laughs but for the rest just bland.
19 April 2019
Even though there are three or four passages that made me have a good laugh the rest of the movie is just too monotone, repetitive, and maybe a bit too long. The story itself is simple and easy to understand, with a couple good scenes (poo is always funny) but overal the majority of the movie you just wait for a laugh that you know at one point will come but in between it is kind of boring. Jenica Berger wasn't bad, Tawny Kitaen is painful to watch, and not only because of the botox injections. The soundtrack was also repetitive and not very well chosen for this movie. It all could have been much better.
Lincoln (2012)
Interesting but too long.
19 April 2019
I would have scored it a seven if it was not so long. It's an interesting story but they could have made this movie at least one hour shorter. Interesting to me, for an European, as in school we never learned about the specific details of the American presidents and the American history. In fact I thought in the Civil War the "bad ones" were the republicans and the "good ones" the democrats but it's just the other way round. Strange to see that the republicans are the racists now or at least that's how I see them after Trump. So as an historical movie "Lincoln" is interesting, even though it's more about the thirteenth amendment than about Lincoln. Great acting of Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln. The rest of the cast is also very good what makes Lincoln worth watching, even for someone like me that hates politics and everything that has to do with it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing for a Ridley Scott movie.
19 April 2019
For a Ridley Scott movie I was expecting something better, something more spectacular. After Alien and Blade Runner, two gems, you can only expect equal or better movies but this one isn't just that great. The story is a bit cheesy and even though the soundtrack makes it a bit suspenseful at times overal it's just not that great. Mimi Rogers was okay in her role, she's by far the best actress in this movie. Tom Berrenger and Lorraine Bracco are just not that convincing, just about okay to watch without getting annoyed. It's supposed to be a dark thriller but there is just to much romance and not enough thrilling to make it a good movie.
The Last Note (2017)
A different but interesting story that deserves to be told
16 April 2019
As The Last Note is based on true events you watch it with different eyes. The story is different than in the usual world war II movies so that's also a bonus. This story is about the Greek resistance versus the Nazis. After an ambush from the Greek resistance against the Nazis there are reprisals that won't let anybody indifferent. The Last Note is an emotional movie, maybe a tiny bit too long in my eyes, but nevertheless it's an interesting movie with good actors. The movie is a bit predictable at one point but it doesn't really matter as it's more a historical drama rather than a mystery story.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb kids making more dumb kids
16 April 2019
Stupid Young Heart isn't a bad movie if you like to watch stupid, not well educated youngsters having kids like it's a new toy. Their (childish) vision on society is between utopic and very narrow minded, leading to racism and xenophobia, and alot of bad decisions. In short nothing to be too surprised about as every big city has it's rough neighborhoods, Helsinki isn't spared of that. The story is well shot, the actors aren't bad at all concidering their young age. The movie is fine to watch once, but I don't need to watch those same dumb characters a second time.
Rampant (2018)
Korean zombies, why not?
13 April 2019
Koreans know how to make movies. They definitely have their own style, especially for Asian movies. Not much overacting like Asians tend to do. Chang-Gwol (Rampant) is worth a watch if you like zombie movies. It's not the best Korean zombie movie that I ever watched (that would be Busanhaeng (Train To Busan)) but for this genre it has it's place. The major problem to me is that it was a bit too long. I think with a shorter story it would be more effective. Nonetheless the zombies were pretty creepy, not perfect as their speed varied from super fast to slow when needed in the story. To me those are details but they have to be perfect. In Busanhaeng the zombies have a constant speedy chase what makes it look all more realistic and it adds to the thrills. Nevertheless Chang-Gwol is worth a watch.
Level 16 (2018)
Better than I thought it would be.
13 April 2019
Level 16 was better than I expected. Maybe it's not a very original story, you might get a déjà-vu, but overall it was an entertaining movie. A slow build-up, but that only adds to the thrill and mystery, a dark story slowly unfolded. It was a bit of a predictable ending but even then it's still worth watching, especially if you're just looking for some easy mindless entertainment. It's not a high budget but you can't really tell, and it's not necessary either. The cast is well chosen, all characters were convincing in their parts. Level 16 is a decent movie in this genre.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glass (2019)
James McAvoy kills it.
11 April 2019
Unbreakable is just too far away for me to completely remember, the only thing I remembered was that I liked it. Split on the other hand is still fresh in my memory, a movie that I really enjoyed, especially for the convincing acting skills of James McAvoy. In Glass James McAvoy excels again, he's by far the best actor in this movie, and that not only due to his exceptionally weird character. Bruce Willis is just an okay actor, nothing brilliant, it seems like I know all his facial expressions even before they occure. Samuel L. Jackson had more of a silent role but even then I thought he was better than Bruce Willis. Glass took another direction in the end than I thought it would, so that was a surprise, i don't really know if I liked that route though. For that I will have to binge watch Unbreakable, Split and Glass again, an option that I already look forward to as the three movies are all better than the usual stuff..
Escape Room (I) (2019)
Good entertainment.
11 April 2019
If you're just looking for easy entertainment then you can't go wrong with Escape Room as there are never dull moments and there is that constant feeling that something bad is going to happen. Maybe it's a bit over the top but that's the style of this kind of movies, and it might be predictable at times but the general idea is working, the audience is entertained. The acting wasn't bad concidering the genre of movie, nothing mindblowing either but good enough to not be annoyed. Some reviewers compare it to Saw, which is partialy true but Saw is just a bit sicker with more gory moments.
The Dark (I) (2018)
Different story for once.
8 April 2019
The horror genre is always difficult to rate as not everyone enjoys the same kind of horror. But I can see why there are so much positive reviews about this movie. For once it's totally different, you would almost feel sympathy for evil, or at least for what the little girl is supposed to be. Personally I would not have gone that healing way and just left it at a lost soul due to the early abuse. The acting isn't bad at all, what makes this horror flick worth a watch. As for the gore it's well proportioned, just enough to not turn it into a slasher. An interesting and unique story make The Dark worth the detour.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anti-Social (2015)
Glamorising easy money.
8 April 2019
The least you can say about Anti-Social is that it is not boring. For that there is just too much going on, with alot of action scenes like the robberies and pursuits. So entertaining it is, no doubt about that. The story is a bit glamorising gang activities and easy money, pretty sure the big cities' local youth will love this movie as it shows how easily you can get free money. But it also shows it never ends well so I guess there is a lesson at one point. The acting is not bad, but not great from everyone either. If you're looking for some fast paced mindless action this movie might do the trick.
Piggy (I) (2012)
Not the greatest in this genre.
7 April 2019
After seeing the great poster and reading just enough about it without spoiling that it will be a revenge movie I was pretty excited about this movie. Nothing beats a good vigilante movie, taking the law into your own hands when justice hasn't been served, it's a genre that I enjoy. But unfortunately Piggy isn't that great. It's way too slow and the alleged violence is all off screen so it's all guessing that there is a severe beating going on. Let's just face it, in this genre there are way much better movies. The acting was okay, the story has a little twist but not interesting enough to be remembered, I'm already glad I managed to stay awake.
11:14 (2003)
Clever.
6 April 2019
The story of 11:14 is about what happened during an evening leading eventually to two different car accidents at the same time in the same town. What is interesting about this story are the five very different perspectives showing how everybody got involved willingly or not in those tragic accidents. There are enough twists and turns to keep your mind occupied during the entire movie. The whole plot is cleverly written and it all fits together at one point. The acting wasn't bad at all, much better than I expected. All in all 11:14 was a pleasant surprise, way better than some high budget movies.
Patrick (I) (2018)
If you like dogs it's okay.
6 April 2019
If you're expectations are just not that high, if you just want some easy entertainment, some laughs (predictable ones but overall not that bad) Patrick might be a movie for you. The entire movie is a feelgood family movie, not much of a story going on except the easy cheesy moments you usually have with these kind of movies. I did enjoy it, mostly because it's about a dog and that happens to be my weak spot, so I can't really complain. But to be realistic it's a movie fine to watch once on a rainy sunday with the whole family but that's about it. The acting is passable, nothing great but nothing cringing either. Could it have been better? Certainly but for dog lovers it will do the job.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting and creative but not my thing.
5 April 2019
My wife and I visited a fair amount of art museums so you could say we're interested in art, and Pieter Bruegel's work has got our attention more than once, especially mine since I'm a Belgian, but in all fairness The Mill And The Cross is just not my kind of movie. I'm not saying it's not well done, it's definitely special and out of the ordinary, very creative and interesting to see how people lived at that time, but it could have used more dialogues and some kind of a story. Don't watch this movie for the acting as that is just the insignificant part, and to be honest some extras are clearly not used to be in front of a camera. The Mill And The Cross is the story behind Pieter Bruegel the Elder's 1564 painting "The Way to Calvary". Every scene of the movie looks like it could be a painting of Pieter Bruegel. It's special, I'll give you that, but as a movie it's just not my thing, I'd rather go to a museum again and look at his work there.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Stephen King adaptation failure.
5 April 2019
I read alot of books of Stephen King but I don't remember reading this one. So watching the movie seemed like a fine option. The problem with book adaptations of Stephen King is that the outcome is or brilliant (The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, Mysery and more) or just below average and I'm afraid we can classify Riding The Bullet in the second category. The story is quite boring to watch, the acting is okay but since the plot is so confusing at times you just lose interest after awhile. I'm sure the book is much better, like most of the time. If you still want to give this movie a go just make sure you're not too tired because otherwise you will guarantee fall asleep.
Tyrel (2018)
What's the point of making a movie with no story?
3 April 2019
I honestly don't know why everybody is comparing this movie with Get Out. Both are completely different stories and the only thing they have in common is that there is one black man surrounded by white people. Get Out is a great movie, Tyrel is not even a movie to me, it's more like watching drunk people at a party where you are the only sober one. Tyrel, which is not even his name, is the most annoying character of this movie, bad luck for us that he is the major character. The story, if you can call that a story since nothing significant is happening, is just a long wait for action or whatever and at one point you just realize that this won't be happening in this movie and then you just lose interest. I had to fight not to fall asleep with this one, and it was in the middle of the day.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kursk (2018)
Dying for nothing.
3 April 2019
I have no clue if the story is accurate or not (not when I read some other reviews) but to me it just didn't really matter as I watched this movie to be entertained and entertaining it was. I vaguely remember the details when the drama happened for real but the details that I remembered were all present in this movie. Personally I would have used the real languages of the characters instead of making a full English spoken movie. I'm sorry but when you have an entire Russian crew you expect them to speak Russian and not English. I'm a Belgian and used to read subtitles so that was what I was expecting. Matthias Schoenaerts, definitely one of my favorite Belgian actors did another good job playing his character. There are no weak moments in Kursk what makes this story a captivating movie. And whatever the accuracy of details are the fact that so many people lost their lives because of the stubborness of their superiors is just a big shame. Like in any other war the high ranked never risk anything, they get the praising in case of victories, and are never to blame if something goes wrong, so for that it's all well accurate to me.
Possum (2018)
Creepy spider puppet but too slow.
3 April 2019
There are too much things that just bothered me in this movie. It's way too slow and repetitive to keep my full attention for such a long period. It's dark and gloomy, that's the positive thing about Possum, but the mystery just took too long to reveal. You will have to wait until the last five minutes to know what the underlying problems are for Sean Harris to act so mysterious during the entire movie. The spider puppet is creepy, more to my wife than to me, but since the story is so slow it just loses it's purpose at one point. The acting wasn't bad but the story just failed even if for once the ending was better than the rest. I can see why people would like this movie but to me it was just not good enough.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Farthest (2017)
Great stuff.
1 April 2019
The question we all aks ourselves is if there is anybody else than us in this universe. If you had any doubts about that you might get a glimpse of the posibilities after watching this very well made documentary. We're used to think just about our galaxy, The Milky Way, but there are millions more of those with each time billions of stars in each one. There is absolutely no doubt that there are other life forms than us somewhere really far away. That is just a fact. The chances of us encountering aliens are almost nihil or we would have to be the luckiest guys ever. After watching this documentary that's a logical conclusion. The footage is interesting stuff and nice to watch, and the interviews from the scientists, even though some are a bit too emotional about it, are not too difficult to understand even if you're a complete newbie when it's about space stuff. After watching it I have even more questions than before, and that's not a bad thing, but those questions will probably never be answered. The Voyager might find something one day but the chances that our planet will still be habitable is doubtful and our human race will be extinguished since a long time.