Reviews

2,253 Reviews
Bliss (I) (2021)
Interesting story about addiction.
25 July 2021
Well, I liked this movie. It's special. Not really a sci-fi movie, even though the drug hallucinations made it look futuristic. It's more a drama about addiction, about loss, about coping with pain, by escaping reality through drugs. The story is intriguing to follow in the beginning, you wonder what's happening, but I figured out the mystery pretty quickly but even then it was pleasant and entertaining to follow. Salma Hayek and Owen Wilson are maybe not the best actors ever but they have a certain something that is pleasant to follow. Owen Wilson was not always convincing, but on the other hand sometimes he was very convincing. My wife scored the movie a seven, I scored it an eight, but my wife is always right so a seven it is...;-)
Palmer (2021)
For a drama not bad but a bit slow.
25 July 2021
Palmer isn't a bad movie, let that be clear, but it's not the greatest movie either. It's good enough to watch once but I don't need to watch again in the fututre. The story is engaging, but it lacks a bit of oomph, feels slow at times (certainly in the first part). It's a gripping story but it feels a bit like déjà-vu. The acting was good and that from the whole cast. Justin Timberlake did a good job playing his character, a bit different than what we're used from him, and for a kid Ryder Allen was very convincing in his role. In the drama genre Palmer is a good movie, but if that's not really your genre of movies (like me) I think a one time viewing will be enough for this one.
Penguin Bloom (2020)
The magpie(s) are stealing the show.
25 July 2021
In the drama genre Penguin Bloom is a good movie. So if that's the genre you like the most you can't really go wrong with this movie. It's not my favorite genre but nevertheless I liked it as well. It's a gripping story, based on true events (pictures from the real Blooms in the end credits), played perfectly well by Naomi Watts and Andrew Lincoln (finally in something better than The Walking Dead), and their kids in this movie. But the star of the show (or should I say stars as there were ten different ones) is definitely the magpie. That's what makes this movie enjoyable to watch, at least for me as an animal lover. The story can be a bit cheesy at times but the magpie made that all seem futile. The fact that it's based on a true story makes it a bit special, like always with these kind of stories.
Phobias (2021)
Not that bad but also not worth a second watch.
23 July 2021
It's clear Phobias won't win an Oscar or any other significant prize but it wasn't as bad as the ratings it gets, nor does it deserve extremely negative reviews. I don't think it was all that bad. To me it was good enough to watch once. I didn't know Macy Gray did anything else than singing. Her acting was'nt that bad at all. And the rest of the cast were also convincing in their roles, nothing cringing to watch in my humble opinion. The story sounded interesting, but it could have been better exploited. But do I need to watch it again in the future? No, that's certainly not going to happen.
The Returned (2013)
Not your typical brain eating zombie movie.
21 July 2021
If you want to watch a movie with brain eating zombies, roaming the streets to find their next victim, then this isn't the movie you want. It's all much softer but that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not your typical zombie movie. The story is entertaining enough to keep you interested and the acting isn't bad at all. The Returned is certainly good enough to watch once. But would I watch it a second time? Probably not...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie but not really Oscar material.
20 July 2021
Let it be clear, Promising Young Woman is a good movie. Is it Oscar worthy? In my opinion it's not but that's just me. It's a revenge movie. The kind where you hope justice will be done, if possible with a lot of suffering for the guilty persons. I can't help it to be a bit disappointed in the revenge parts, but overal justice is served. Carey Mulligan did a very good job playing her character. And so did the rest of the cast. The movie is easy to follow, and even though the story is sad there are not really scenes that are too graphic. Maybe some more graphic scenes would have made this movie even better but again that's only my opinion. Promising Young Woman is certainly worth watching, some men could learn a lesson from it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For a very young audience it might be okay, for adults certainly not.
19 July 2021
I only watched this because of the high ratings it got. I watched two seasons but if there will be more seasons it's going to be without me, that's for sure. The first season was definitely better than the second. Short but with a kinda okay story. The kids on the other hand are boring to watch. The second season, with other kids, is just very boring. The kids can't act at all and are all annoying to watch, a younger audience will probably love them, and the only adult playing Sardo is just cringing to watch. The whole series is just for very young kids. It might scare the crap out of them, but as an adult it just looks boring. And although the 'scary' parts are rather okay, the story just isn't. If I were still six years old I might have liked this show, but I'm not, so case closed for me.
Shiva Baby (2020)
Not bad for an Indie.
19 July 2021
Shiva Baby is better than I thought it would be. I'm not going to say I was constantly laughing, far from that, but it definitely has something entertaining about it. Rachel Sennott did a great job playing her character. Watching her lie through her teeth all the time, and that whilst staying very charming (I think she's a real looker to be honest), it had to be done. The story is simple but effective. The funny parts are the older women gossiping in their Jewish way. The cinematography was not bad at all, with some really good shots every now and then. Shiva Baby isn't a long movie, rather too short, but for an indie production it's certainly worth watching.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Tangle (2019)
Talking all fancy doesn't make it a good movie, quite the opposite.
17 July 2021
Well this was a disappointment. I was expecting a good movie, the story seemed interesting, and to be honest it had a lot of potential, but the execution was really poor. I don't know what writer/director Christopher Soren Kelly was thinking whilst making this movie but it was for sure not going to be pleasant to watch for a lot of people. The dialogues are highly irritating, most of the time it's just gibberish, a language nobody "normal" speaks. I think he wanted to come over as fancy and innovative and it boomeranged right in his face. Because the plot was promising, I'm sure you could make a good sci-fi movie with that story, but it's just not The Tangle. The cast was also not very convincing in their roles. Again I'm sure they could do much better, but now it looked like they rehearsed their lines without understanding anything they're talking about. The moments of poetry were also very annoying to watch. The cinematography wasn't that great either. I'm searching to write anything good about this movie but beside a promising story I can't see anything. Don't waste your time with this one.
Till Death (I) (2021)
Some suspense, some mediocre acting.
17 July 2021
The thing with Till Death is that Megan Fox is just not a good actress. She gets roles because of her looks, which in my humble opinion are not that great like everybody else seems to think. The movie starts slow, borderline boring, but gets a kick in the second half, where there's actually some decent suspense. The story is not to be taken too seriously as there's no way a fragile woman like her could drag a dead weight like that without getting noticed. But there's some suspense, I'll give them that, but that's about it. Good enough to watch once, but you will forget everything about it the next day.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silk Road (2021)
Way much better than the ratings it gets.
16 July 2021
Wow, the amount of negative reviews on here for Silk Road. I'm flabbergasted! I actually enjoyed this movie very much, thought it was entertaining from beginning till the end, with a good cast that in my eyes all gave a good performance, certainly the two leading characters. I didn't read the book so comparing the two is impossible for me but since people say the book is better I'll certainly give it a shot. To be honest I think a lot of people are very hard to please, or are just born whiners. But everybody is entitled to their own opinion, I just disagree on the very low ratings it gets.
Wrong Turn (2021)
Not very satisfying.
15 July 2021
I don't know how many more Wrong Turns you can make but at one point enough should be enough. And even though this Wrong Turn is not connected to any of the direct-to-video sequels of the original Wrong Turn it's still basically the same idea. In this case there is The Foundation, something new added to give this story a boost but that in my opinion didn't really work. There are just too much "oh really, you really did that? , and Yeah right..." moments that made this movie just a bit boring. THe cinematography is okay, and so is the acting. The story or the plot on the other hand is just not that great. It's a waste of time, a rewatch of the first movies would have been a better idea.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I guess for kids it's okay.
13 July 2021
To be honest, after reading all the positive reviews, I was expecting something really good but that's just not the case. I admit there's some mystery that keeps you mildly interested but that's about it. I think I watched nine episodes, had to wait too long for the next one and so I forgot about the story and wasn't interested by it anymore. The kids are annoying to watch. I get it that it's Disney and I guess younger people will find this very entertaining, but in my case I'm just way too old for this kind of series.
Wrath of Man (2021)
For a Guy Ritchie movie disappointing, for a Statham movie like usual.
13 July 2021
Guy Ritchie is after Quentin Tarantino and The Coen Brothers one of my favorite directors. With sublime movies like Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and The Gentlemen, he's one of those directors you follow and are curious and excited about when a new movie comes out. But not all his movies are of the same quality. Like Sherlock Holmes for example (which I found mediocre) Wrath of Man is just passable. It's all well directed but the quality is just not there. And it's a movie with Jason Statham, so it speaks for itself what you will get. Statham never laughs, Statham can't be beaten, Statham wants revenge, in short Statham plays the same character every time. A bit like Liam Neeson. I don't say those are bad actors, certainly not, but it's just always the same. Wrath of Man is full of mindless action, a lot of dead people, a lot of questionable scenes (like the heist for example that looked like doomed to fail). I watched the movie trying not to yawn, I was hoping to get those great dialogues Guy Ritchie is known for, but that just never happened. Wrath of Man is just okay to watch once, but that's it, certainly not at the same level as the other movies from Guy Ritchie.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't pay too much attention to negative reviews if you like entertaining sci-fi movies.
9 July 2021
After reading a lot of negative reviews I still gave this movie a shot because by experience I know I hardly every agree with these reviews when it's about a movie in this genre, that is science fiction/action. And I'm glad I didn't pay too much attention to those reviews from people that are very hard to please or that just are eternally unsatisfied. The Tomorrow War is exactly what I expected, a lot of non-stop action (yes there's a lot of shooting), a story that looks far fetched (but then again it's a science fiction so what do you expect?), and a large amount of CGI's. Sounds boring to some but certainly not to me (neither to my wife), certainly not when it's well done like in this movie. The monsters/aliens are great, the computer generated images here are just excellent. The story is very entertaining, and even though the duration of the movie is quite long you never get bored for a second. As for the acting I've never been a big fan of Pratt but credit to him, he did a decent job. As for Yvonne Strahovski, which did a terrific job in The Handmaid's Tale, where she plays a character you can't help hating, she this time plays a totally different character and it was good again. So in short, The Tomorrow War is a perfect movie if you like sci-fi, good CGI's, and need to relax for a couple of hours with a bucket of popcorn and mindless action.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that good.
8 July 2021
I've been watching (sometiimes rewatching) the James Bond movies in chronological order. After a one time appearance of George Lazenby as James Bond it's back to Sean Connery. Sean Connery has more charisma to play double O seven but to be fair this wasn't his best James Bond movie. There are a lot of mediocre actors in Diamonds Are Forever, the story should be easy to follow but it actually isn't. Where are the diamonds? , who took them? , why did they take them? , it's all little things that make almost no sense and that bring down the movie. The action scenes are most of the time boring, even for 1971. To me it's one of the weaker movies in the James Bond saga. In the hope the next one will be better. Next: To Live And Let Die.
Cherry (2021)
Great performances, drugs are bad m'kay...
7 July 2021
Second movie in a row for me featuring Tom Holland. After Chaos Walking, that was quite enjoyable to me as a fantasy movie and that despite the low ratings it got, this time Cherry, a powerful movie about PTSD but mostly about addiction, heroin addiction to be more precise. Not as powerful as The Basketball Diaries but certainly good enough to keep you far away from heroin after watching it. Tom Holland just nailed it here, very good performance playing his character. Ciara Bravo also did a good job. The destructive relationship they are in, the issues that both have, it's all well filmed and keeps you interested in the entire story. A long movie but never boring. Good to excellent cinematography, great cast, great story, what else can you ask for? Again an underrated movie with Tom Holland.
Chaos Walking (2021)
Much better than those negative reviews say.
6 July 2021
I'm flabbergasted by the extremely negative reviews for Chaos Walking. That you don't find it a masterpiece I can get but that you were not even remotely entertained by this movie remains a mystery to me. I was actually enjoying this quite refreshing story. It's fantasy and so I don't expect true or plausible stories. The acting wasn't bad at all and that from the entire cast so there again I don't know what's wrong with those eternal unsatisfied reviewers. If you're not too picky and like a fantasy story that has not been done before Chaos Walking is definitely worth a watch.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new face for James Bond but Sean Connery is just better.
4 July 2021
I've been watching (sometimes rewatching) all the James Bond movies in the chronological order. On Her Majesty's Secret Service isn't the worst but it's also not that great. For the first time a new face as James Bond, a thing that will change a lot in the future. This time he's played by George Lazenby (that by the way could have played in seven other Bond movies but he didn't want to which wasn't a clever move from him). He's the odd duck in the pond, not very charismatic, not very credible as James Bond. Bond is still a bit sexist, the year 1969 is pobably why nobody cared that much about it. There are a couple entertaining pursuits but the stunts overal are a bit boring. No special gadgets either which is quite disappointing. The good thing about this movie is Diana Rigg (the later Miss Emma Peele in The Avengers). She's candy for the eye. Telly Savalas (better known for his role as Kojak) plays the evil one (first time I observed he has a weird finger, couldn't take my eyes of it). In short, it's watchable but not the best. Next stop: Diamonds Are Forever.
The Unholy (2021)
I've seen worse in this genre.
2 July 2021
If I could I would rate The Unholy 5.5 stars instead of 6. It's just not that exciting to be honest. But I guess it's good enough for a one time viewing. The story is decent without being too refreshing. It all feels like déjà-vu at one point. The CGI's are not that great, well certainly good enough if the movie was made thirty years ago, but that's not the case here. About the horror it basically consists of jump scares, so to me not that thrilling. My wife gets a greater kick out of it though. As for the acting it was all okay. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and William Sadler appear in a lot of movies and series, almost never leading roles but always good enough to not be annoyed by their acting. Cricket Brown was decent as well. Overal The Unholy is okay for this genre, just don't expect something wild and frightening because that's hardly what this is.
Nobody (2021)
Entertaining and violent.
1 July 2021
Since the top notch series Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul I'm a fan of Bob Odenkirk. He's a pleasant actor to watch. In Nobody he's the leading character, playing a brutal ex-secret agent/murderer and that role fits him well. It's a vigilante story, with a lot of ultra violence (which is all nicely choreographed) and a story that is pleasant to follow. It's of course a bit over the top but the cinematography makes up for that. I wasn't really a fan of the exaggerated last scenes that could have been avoided but overal Nobody is a good movie. It's entertaining, never boring, with a lot of action (the good kind) and a good cast.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wynonna Earp (2016–2021)
A lot of ups and down, glad it's finished.
30 June 2021
I watched all four seasons before rating Wynonna Earp. The first season starts okay, keeps you interested, followed by a second season that is improving, followed by a third season that in my opinion was the best, to end with a fourth season that is failing completely with a very bad last episode that couldn't end fast enough. It's a show with ups and downs, some well written episodes that were quite good and entertaining, but also a lot of episodes where my vomit bucket had to stay in reach. In the beginning I wasn't sure if the comedy was a good thing for this series but towards the end I changed my mind about it and that's mostly due to the good comebacks from Wynonna Earp played by Melanie Scrofano. She's the main reason I continued watching it, and Tim Rozon as well (a way better character and acting than his role in Schitts Creek). The chemistry and relation between their two characters is what makes this show worth watching. Dominique Provost-Chalkley on the other hand plays a character that is very, very, very annoying to watch. I don't say she's a bad actress but her character is vomit material. Her romance with Katherine Barrell (the best looking of all of them by the way) was the worst thing of this show. Almost every episode with those two giggling and cuddling is cringeworthy. Besides one extra (the one that plays the wedding dress saleswoman in the last episode) everybody can act in Wynonna Earp. The revenants, demons or monsters are entertaining, well thought of, and this is why the show kept me interested. But towards the end it's clear that the writers became lazy and uninspired. The last season could not end fast enough for me, I was done with it and that's mostly due to the childish and girly behavior of the two lesbians. I'm glad I watched it though but it's not a keeper. A one time viewing is more than enough.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another scandal from the USA, the land of the free...
27 June 2021
Movies based on true events are always more interesting to watch and when it's a story like this one you can't help it to have very opiniated emotions. It's another (yes there are plenty) scandal coming from the land of injustice (even though they think they are so rightful whilst the opposite is much more accurate). The land of freedom and justice, of opportunities, where people are treated like equal no matter what your religion or skin color is... That's how they like to portray their country. If you tell yourself a lie long enough you might start believing it. The Mauritanian is a powerful movie with excellent actors. Tahar Rahim did a great job playing his character and so did Jodie Foster. It all starts a bit slow but as soon as you get into the story you can't take your eyes of the screen. Guantanamo Bay, another enormous scandal everybody knows about by now, another scandal where nobody had to pay the price for their wrongdoings, a scandal where the only ones that paid a very high price are the innocent. It's not a movie that will leave you with a pleasant feeling, but it's for sure worth watching. To me one of the better movies I watched this year, or even in the last decade.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Young Ones (1982–1984)
Anarchy!
26 June 2021
The crazy and sometimes surreal comedic adventures of four very different students in Thatcher's Britain. They couldn't have described it better. If silly humor isn't your thing you shouldn't watch this series as that's the major ingredient of the whole show. Four different students played by Rik Mayall (the anarchist), Adrian Edmondson (the destructive punk-rocker), Nigel Planer (the hippie) and Christopher Ryan (the charmer). Every episode is about Rick, Vyvyan, Neil and Mike, and each one is crazier than the other. Add to that an appearance of Alexei Sayle as Balowski, and every now and then a song from a cult band from that time (great bands like Madness, Motorhead and others) and you have an ideal cocktail to keep you entertained. Short half hour episodes that you will either love or hate.
Not the best Bond.
25 June 2021
I'm watching all the James Bond movies in chronological order. It didn't start great with Dr. No, it got a bit better with From Russia With Love, to be good with Goldfinger and Thunderball. So I was expecting it to get even better but it turned out to be disappointing. I would rate it the same as From Russia With Love. The story is just not that good, the special effects rather disappointing (even for 1967), and the Bond gadgets not very original. But it's the story that is just not good enough. It's still James trying to solve a major problem, and that while conquering as many women as possible. He's still a bit sexist, and the women still beautiful but a bit naive, nothing new here in this OO7 movie. Up to the next one! On Her Majesty's Secret Service...