Reviews

1,337 Reviews
A bit predictable but worth watching.
17 May 2019
I wouldn't say this movie is a masterpiece nor pure garbage. It's a decent horror movie, with a not completely original story (but which movie is nowadays?). The story is a bit predictable at one point but it still remained entertaining and that's all I want when watching a movie in this genre. The acting wasn't bad at all so blaming the poor quality of this movie to that is just ridiculous. It's a dark movie, hence the bunker, the horror could have been better but it wasn't bad either. I can get that some people don't like this movie but that's just because they're not into this genre. Worth a watch to me.
Close (I) (2019)
Not bad for this déjà vu movie.
17 May 2019
Another bodyguard protecting a spoiled rich adolescent pursuit movie. Not really something new but in this genre Close isn't a bad movie at all. There is enough suspense and action scenes to keep you entertained for the entire movie. The action is not too much over the top like it normally is in this kind of movies so that's a bonus. Noomi Rapace did a good job playing the bodyguard, this time the bodyguard looks like a human with some feelings, that's also a bonus. The cinematography is also good so overall Close is worth a watch if you like easy entertainment.
Bumblebee (2018)
Too much cheesy moments.
14 May 2019
From all the Transformers movies I would say this prequel was the one I least enjoyed. It's way too cheesy, with alot of long and pointless 'emotional' passages, mostly due to Hailee Steinfeld's interacting with Bumblebee. I'm not saying she's a bad actress but in this movie, after awhile, I was kind sick of her character. The movie has to have it from the combat scenes and in my opinion they are just too scarce . Bumblebee is a missed opportunity to make a good prequel about what happened before the Transformers came into action. Slightly disappointed!
Polar (2019)
Mads Mikkelsen is the man.
14 May 2019
There are good and bad things in Polar but overall the positive things outwheighs the negative things. The action is way over the top with a hero (played brilliantly by Mads Mikkelsen) facing twenty or more ennemies at the same time and still winning, it's sometimes a bit annoying but that's what you get with these kind of movies so it's best to not pay too much attention to that kind of details. Matt Lucas (from Little Brittain) should stick with things he's best at, short humoristic sketches, as to me he's the weakest link in Polar. His evil character has no credibility at all when played by him. Mads Mikkelsen is by far the best actor in this movie. His character was perfect for him, introvert and stone cold, the face fits the character. The action scenes, even though exaggerated, are entertaining and bloody, the cinematography is surprisingly good with very good unique shots at times. All in all Polar is an entertaining movie especially in this genre.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In this genre it's not a bad movie.
12 May 2019
For a movie in the possessed/horror genre The Possession Of Hannah Grace has it's place in a positive way. The story isn't bad at all, even though there are some similarities with The Autopsy Of Jane Doe. It has similarities like the location of the scenes (the morgue) but the story is different and interesting. As for the creepy scenes those are well done. It's clearly one of the positive things about this movie. They put some work to make the possessed look like it came straight out of hell. There is suspense and thrills and the acting wasn't bad either so overall it's worth watching if you like this kind of movies.
Hurt (2009)
The award for worst actress goes to Melora Walters
12 May 2019
Everything about this movie oozes low quality and low budget. I have no clue what their budget was but it just shows that it must be pretty low. The cinematography is mediocre at best. The plot could have been interesting with more money and better actors. They made it so that you believe something specific will happen but it turns out different, but that's the good part of this movie. The suspense is very mild as it becomes quickly obvious what is really going on. The worst part is the acting of Melora Walters, if you can call that acting. I seriously wonder what she did to get this part in this movie. It's one of the rare occasions I had to witness an acting performance without any emotions. Every scene is that same monotone and annoying voice, like she's just reading her script without thinking about the plot or the scenes. You could watch her in a surprised scene, a dangerous scene, or a scary scene, every line is exactly the same tone without any emotion. To me it's a mystery how she became an actress. Just avoid this movie, it's really nothing new and a waste of time.
God of War (2017)
Too long and boring.
10 May 2019
For a historical movie I have to admit I'm not too impressed by the result. Not that I had a very high opinion of Chinese movies before starting to watch God Of War, as most of the time you have alot of actors or extras overacting. For example it all feels unnatural when you see them running around, never saw anybody run this way (there is absolutely no way any Chinese will win a race if they all run like that). The only good thing about this movie are some fighting scenes but even those could have been much better. The movie is just too long, too repetitive, and to be honest their strategies are just becoming boring after awhile. It didn't do it to me and I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one that will be disappointed.
The Lure (2015)
Creative but the singing is a letdown to me.
2 May 2019
If there is one genre of movies I absolutely hate it's musicals. I never saw the point of it, I just think it's a waste of time. That said, I gave The Lure a shot and to be honest the movie isn't bad although there is way too much singing and dancing in it. But there are more good parts than bad parts so overal the movie is worth watching. The good parts are the creativity and choreography mixed with the talent of the goodlooking Michalina Olszanska and Marta Mazurek that both did a good job playing their characters. It's fair to say they look good naked, even with a fish tail. There is a certain erotic tension mixed with a subtle suspense due to the look of the mermaids while they show their bad side. The cinematography is also really good, certainly the best thing about The Lure. The horror is mild, I would have made it bloodier, but that's my opinion. As for the story it's entertaining, just too bad of the endless singing.
Good sequel.
2 May 2019
Let's face it, horror/thriller comedies are not the easiest genres to mix. There are plenty of bad movies in this genre but Happy Death Day 2U isn't one of them. I remember watching the first movie from 2017, that I rated with six stars, that's to me a watchable movie but just for one time. I'm not a huge fan of sequels, where they try to milk every drop of success the first movie had, but in this case I thought the sequel was better than the first movie. Maybe one day I will watch both of them again in one evening. The cast is the same but this time you're more familiar with the characters so it's more enjoyable. This modern Groundhog Day look-alike has all the right elements and twists to make it interesting to watch until the end. There are no real boring déjà-vu moments even though it's a repetitive day throughout the whole movie. All in all it's a fun thriller, better than I expected it would be.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blow Out (1981)
Hitchcockian ambiance.
2 May 2019
The good things about Brian DePalma's Blow Out are the Hitchcockian atmosphere that is present throughout the whole movie, and that mostly due to the excellent soundtrack, the acting of John Travolta and John Lithgow, both were very good playing their characters, and a good story with the right amount of suspense, twists and turns, it all fits together at one point. The acting of Nancy Allen though is a letdown, I don't know if it is because of her dumb character or just because that's all she can do but this was clearly the weakest point of Blow Out. The movie reeks like the eighties and for that era it is a good movie in this genre.
Bottle Rocket (1996)
Not hilarious but watchable.
30 April 2019
I wouldn't say this is the best comedy with Owen Wilson but for his debut it isn't bad. It's not hilarious, far from that, but the clumsy crime relationship with his brother Luke Wilson is entertaining to watch. The story that Owen Wilson wrote with his friend Wes Anderson is a bit goofy, never saw such amateurs as bandits, but it's watchable. I didn't get bored and that's already something, but I wasn't overwhelmed either. In fact I'm glad I watched Bottle Rocket but it's only going to be for one time, no need to watch it again as for that it's not good enough.
Arctic (2018)
Mads Mikkelsen almost solo but still enjoyable to watch.
28 April 2019
If you want to watch a movie with alot of people then skip this one as there are only two actors, Mads Mikkelsen and Maria Thelma Smáradóttir. If you want great conversations then you can skip it also as it's only Mads Mikkelsen that speaks a word every now and then. But if you like survival movies, man against nature, if you like great scenic shots (okay it's the arctic so it's white but nonetheless it's beautiful) then this movie is worth watching. The biggest reason for that is Mads Mikkelsen, he did an excellent job (like usual) playing his character. And even if there are only two actors and not much interaction it still remains enjoyable to watch as there is that constant suspense of two desperate human beings balancing between life and death. I like survival movies, it always makes me think about what I would do if it was me stuck there.
The Prodigy (2019)
Not original but not bad.
26 April 2019
In the horror/thriller genre The Prodigy isn't a bad movie. It's not totally new, this story has been done before, but nonetheless it is entertaining. Maybe the mystery is revealed a bit too soon, they could have dragged it a bit more, I would have elaborated the story of the serial killer more, but even then it still has a dark ambiance and there is the mandatory suspense. It's nice to see Taylor Schilling in something else than Orange Is The New Black, I thought she did a good job. As well as the young Jackson Robert Scott (remember little Georgie Denbrough from Stephen Kings "It"), he was freaky when he needed to be. All in all The Prodigy gave me the entertainment that I was expecting so I'm not disappointed like some others aparently are.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rango (2011)
Oscar well deserved.
26 April 2019
The Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year went to Rango and to be honest in this category it clearly deserves that. After The Ring and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Gore Verbinski brings us another highly entertaining movie, this time with something slightly different as it is an animated movie. The images and characters are just perfect, it's all very creative and visually stunning. As for the actors, or better the voice-overs, they were perfect in their roles. I can't see anybody narrating Rango better than Johnny Depp. The story is simple but effective, with alot of humor, maybe not for the younger kids but more for adults with a healthy imagination and that don't mind watching animation movies every now and then. Rango, a movie I will watch again in the future.
Peterloo (2018)
If you like to watch people having speeches for almost an entire movie be my guest.
24 April 2019
I don't know what I missed while watching Peterloo but I'm definitely not satisfied as most of the other reviewers are. The movie was way too long, but the major issue were the repetitive scenes of people holding a speech for almost ninety percent of the movie. I don't mind a little speech every now and then if it contributes to the story but in this case it just quickly became very annoying. The story of the 1819 Peterloo Massacre is a story that deserves to be told but this movie just failed bringing that. The costumes were not bad but the extras are obviously not actors and shouldn't get that much of screen time. It looked all done by amateurs at one point. I fell asleep twice and so I had to restart those missed scenes to be certain I didn't miss anything and honestly I could just have skipped those scenes as it was the same arguing all the time. To me this was just a boring movie that could have been so much better when you know the full story.
Stree (2018)
Remove the dancing and singing and you have a good movie.
24 April 2019
I have mixed feelings about Stree after watching it but overal it was a satisfying movie. It's just too bad that they always have to do their stupid dancing and singing in those Indian movies. Fortunately there were only a couple of those moments. Remove those two scenes and you have a movie with a good sense of humor and a monster (Stree) that isn't badly done (if you just forget about the monster floating around while chasing you as that is obviously done with a drone). The dialogues are also between good and bad. Listening to a couple grown men whining for their mother is a bit stupid, but the acting of Rajkummar Rao makes up for all that. His uncertain stuttering and shy character are definitely the best thing in this movie. I really enjoyed his acting. Overal the movie was entertaining, just too bad of the unnecessary Bollywood scenes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Craig Cobb is 11% African. I think he should shoot himself.
23 April 2019
As much as I hate white supremacists as well as any other intolerant movement this was interesting to watch as this documentary is very well made. There is footage from both sides of the town habitants. So I really can't agree with other reviewers claiming the white supremacist didn't get his say. Instead I thought he got plenty of air time to explain his case but the only thing you can witness is his faul and disgusting vision of life. In fact everything he says and does sums their narrow vision very well, they are all a bunch of intolerant retards that belong in jail or in a grave. The world would be better off without this kind of parasites that blaim everything that goes wrong in their pathetic life to Jewish or people of African origin. Craig Cobb, with his self declared high IQ, is in fact dumber than a box of rocks. His mate, sorry I forgot the retards name, is the exact specimen you can expect with these kind of people, low and uneducated white thrash with the only hability to reproduce alot and so to continue the lineage of dumbasses. The irony is that he sees himself as an Aryen, one of the pure white race. It's just too funny for words, for that you have to watch this documentary yourself so that you can witness what their Aryens are supposed to look like. Respect to all the people that opposed themselves to those scums of the earth. The documentary also shows how ridicule the first amendment is. Americans should be deeply ashamed to tolerate hate groups in their country. If you preach hate, violence and even extermination of another race you belong in jail, that's it. No first amendment should protecting that kind of behavior. Shame on you America.
Inside Man (2006)
My kind of movie in this genre.
22 April 2019
In the crime/mystery genre Inside Man is just a bit better than a normal good movie. It's not excellent though, for that the heist is just too far fetched and perfect. Everybody likes to watch the perfect heist but in this case it's a bit exaggerated. But other than that small detail the rest of the movie is suspenseful, or at least it keeps you attentive as you keep wondering what will happen. For that there was the excellent interaction between Denzel Washington and Clive Owen. Both did a great job with their characters. The whole cast was perfect for this story. Spike Lee made another entertaining movie, one that I will watch again in a few years.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The complexity of the brain.
22 April 2019
It must have take some bravery from Lotje Sodderland to make this documentary, or better to be the guinea pig for this documentary about her brain after she suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. It must not have been easy to do that as she must have thousands of other more important things to do, learning basic things that we take for granted from scratch again. The documentary is well made, with some emotional passages that make you think it could happen to all of us. In one second your life could take a complete turn so we should enjoy every moment we have here. That's the lesson I learned after watching My Beautiful Broken Brain.
Come Simi (2015)
A couple good laughs but for the rest just bland.
19 April 2019
Even though there are three or four passages that made me have a good laugh the rest of the movie is just too monotone, repetitive, and maybe a bit too long. The story itself is simple and easy to understand, with a couple good scenes (poo is always funny) but overal the majority of the movie you just wait for a laugh that you know at one point will come but in between it is kind of boring. Jenica Berger wasn't bad, Tawny Kitaen is painful to watch, and not only because of the botox injections. The soundtrack was also repetitive and not very well chosen for this movie. It all could have been much better.
Lincoln (2012)
Interesting but too long.
19 April 2019
I would have scored it a seven if it was not so long. It's an interesting story but they could have made this movie at least one hour shorter. Interesting to me, for an European, as in school we never learned about the specific details of the American presidents and the American history. In fact I thought in the Civil War the "bad ones" were the republicans and the "good ones" the democrats but it's just the other way round. Strange to see that the republicans are the racists now or at least that's how I see them after Trump. So as an historical movie "Lincoln" is interesting, even though it's more about the thirteenth amendment than about Lincoln. Great acting of Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln. The rest of the cast is also very good what makes Lincoln worth watching, even for someone like me that hates politics and everything that has to do with it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing for a Ridley Scott movie.
19 April 2019
For a Ridley Scott movie I was expecting something better, something more spectacular. After Alien and Blade Runner, two gems, you can only expect equal or better movies but this one isn't just that great. The story is a bit cheesy and even though the soundtrack makes it a bit suspenseful at times overal it's just not that great. Mimi Rogers was okay in her role, she's by far the best actress in this movie. Tom Berrenger and Lorraine Bracco are just not that convincing, just about okay to watch without getting annoyed. It's supposed to be a dark thriller but there is just to much romance and not enough thrilling to make it a good movie.
The Last Note (2017)
A different but interesting story that deserves to be told
16 April 2019
As The Last Note is based on true events you watch it with different eyes. The story is different than in the usual world war II movies so that's also a bonus. This story is about the Greek resistance versus the Nazis. After an ambush from the Greek resistance against the Nazis there are reprisals that won't let anybody indifferent. The Last Note is an emotional movie, maybe a tiny bit too long in my eyes, but nevertheless it's an interesting movie with good actors. The movie is a bit predictable at one point but it doesn't really matter as it's more a historical drama rather than a mystery story.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb kids making more dumb kids
16 April 2019
Stupid Young Heart isn't a bad movie if you like to watch stupid, not well educated youngsters having kids like it's a new toy. Their (childish) vision on society is between utopic and very narrow minded, leading to racism and xenophobia, and alot of bad decisions. In short nothing to be too surprised about as every big city has it's rough neighborhoods, Helsinki isn't spared of that. The story is well shot, the actors aren't bad at all concidering their young age. The movie is fine to watch once, but I don't need to watch those same dumb characters a second time.
Rampant (2018)
Korean zombies, why not?
13 April 2019
Koreans know how to make movies. They definitely have their own style, especially for Asian movies. Not much overacting like Asians tend to do. Chang-Gwol (Rampant) is worth a watch if you like zombie movies. It's not the best Korean zombie movie that I ever watched (that would be Busanhaeng (Train To Busan)) but for this genre it has it's place. The major problem to me is that it was a bit too long. I think with a shorter story it would be more effective. Nonetheless the zombies were pretty creepy, not perfect as their speed varied from super fast to slow when needed in the story. To me those are details but they have to be perfect. In Busanhaeng the zombies have a constant speedy chase what makes it look all more realistic and it adds to the thrills. Nevertheless Chang-Gwol is worth a watch.