Reviews

1,283 Reviews
Still a better love story than Twilight :D

Set (predominantly) in the present day, this fantasy franchise tells us of a centuries-old war between vampires and werewolves. We follow the story from the perspective of Selene (Kate Beckinsale), one of the greatest vampire warriors, who leads the werewolf hunt. When she meets Michael (Scott Speedman), a man who is persecuted by werewolves for a mysterious reason, her life and worldviews change drastically. This saga has quite a well-crafted story and characterization, though as the franchise goes on, the quality of the story declines to eventually turn into a shallow action. The acting, the camera, the directing, the effects, the music ... it's all pretty well done, but nothing spectacular.

Underworld (2003)

The first film introduces us to the dark world of vampires and werewolves, which secretly coexists with ours. While vampires are a well-organized society with a powerful army, werewolves are a wild unleashed horde that is gradually exterminated by vampires. And then emerges a leader capable of uniting werewolves, as well as a man capable of uniting the features of both races in one hybrid being. A good thriller with a story that will intrigue you, and with just the right amount of romance and well-directed action.

Underworld: Evolution (2006)

"Evolution" continues directly to the first movie and now Selene and Michael are trying to break into the history and secrets of both races, in a desperate attempt to bring the centuries-old war to an end. A worthy sequel in the same manner and quality as the first film.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)

"Rise of the Lycans" is an "origins story" and takes us into the Middle Ages. Vampires were aristocracy, and werewolves were their slaves, until the young werewolf Lucian rose into a leader who led his race in the struggle for liberation, thus beginning a centuries-old war between the two races. The franchise still holds a level.

Underworld: Awakening (2012)

Humans discover the existence of vampires and werewolves and decide to exterminate them. Michael and Selene are hit while fighting humans and she wakes up twelve years later, not knowing what happened to Michael. She now has a twelve-year-old daughter, the first natural-born hybrid, who she must protect from Lycans that want to take advantage of her in their fight for dominance.

The fourth film is slightly weaker than its predecessors. The action continues in the same manner, but the story is underdeveloped. I was under the impression that I was watching a long movie trailer, not the movie itself. But basically, I liked it.

Underworld: Blood Wars (2016)

The latest installment in the "Underworld" franchise is by far the worst, but not redundant. "Blood Wars" rounds off this saga, but it does a rather lousy job, and the movie is reduced to eighty minutes of shallow action and two-dimensional characters that are there just to keep the story from staying unfinished. I don't want to recommend it, but again, you have to see it if you wish to know how the story ends.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The three things I live for are steak, liquor, and sex."
12 December 2019
Adaptation of the eponymous Broadway show from 1951, which came to close to a thousand performances, is the film debut and the only Oscar nomination for Maggie McNamara. This is the first Hollywood mainstream movie to use the words "virgin," "seduce," and "mistress," which has led to censorship battles, and it was even banned in some places, but it ended up with three Academy Award nominations. This romantic comedy was scandalous at the time. It is interesting to see what was considered unacceptable and vulgar behavior in the middle of the last century. I'd love to see the faces of the cans of that time when flipping through today's tabloids.

Man of Steel (2013)
His name is Kal, son of El.
10 December 2019
For me, DC has always carried more weight than Marvel. While Marvel was mesmerizing us with effects, and with the spectacular action imbued with humor was covering up the shallowness of the story, DC was making more serious and deeper films. Then at one point, they decided to get into a race with Marvel, taking over their style. To me, the new Superman looks more like Marvel than DC, and more of a classic space SF than a superhero movie. Technically, it's amazing, but I wouldn't be able to recount it in detail, even though I watched it yesterday. It made absolutely no impression. Fun for one watching, but without any weight and forgettable. The only pleasure I got from this movie is the sweetness of Amy Adams.

7/10 (for the visual spectacle)
Baby Doll (1956)
"In a swing you relax just like in a cradle."
8 December 2019
This cult controversial movie by Elia Kazan was nominated for four Oscars. Boris Kaufman was nominated for Best Black and White Cinematography, Tennessee Williams for Screenplay, and Carroll Baker for the role of the nineteen-year-old "white-trash" virgin in the American South, married to the older cotton gin owner since she was seventeen, who is anxiously awaiting her twentieth birthday when she has to lose her virginity. She sucks her thumb, sleeps in a cradle and plays innocent, while seducing her frustrated husband and his business rival. Somewhat like Lolita, more innocent, but somehow more nasty and repulsive. Catholics boycotted the movie in the tens of millions, about seventy percent of the theaters canceled its screening, Time Magazine declared it the dirtiest American movie ever, and the New York Cardinal called it essentially evil and dangerous to the morale of the audience. From today's perspective, all that stir is ridiculous and it is not likely for anyone to see it as a shocking movie now, and on the other hand, it is insanely boring. In my opinion, its single quality is excellent cinematography.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'm not locked here with you; you're locked in here with me."
8 December 2019
Today we took the kid to the movies to see the latest adaptation of the Addams Family, which I love very much. For the sake of the child, we had to watch a version synchronized in Serbian, which itself is quite a nuisance. To the animated characters, the voices are borrowed by the pretty famous cast, but instead of their, I suppose, at least good, if not great performances, as usual, we got the lousy domestic synchronization. It is sad that we cannot make at least a little effort to act that synchronization properly. So, the acting I cannot judge. Dialogues and witty replicas ... I don't know if that was well translated or in the rank of usually bad domestic subtitles, and even if they did this part properly, the word games and the original charm are certainly lost in translation, so I can't judge that neither. The animation is good, although it's also debatable since we watched the movie in 3D, but I didn't particularly like the look of the main characters. They all have those stupid toothpicks for limbs and huge heads, Morticia is not seductive as she should be, they turned Gomez into a fat freak, Pugsley resembles a gargoyle, and Wednesday, Fester and some others can barely pass as human beings. Instead of an eccentric but sympathetic and primarily human family, the Addamses are portrayed as disfigured semi-humans. Only Lurch made a somewhat positive impression with his appearance and manner in which we synchronized him. And finally the story. I can not say it's bad. It's fun and keeps attention. But it is totally unoriginal and has been seen so many times ("Hotel Transylvania", "Edward Scissorhands", "Beauty and the Beast" ...) that even my eight-year-old was like - meh, it's nothing special. All in all, if you are not a fan of the original series from the sixties and have not watched too many films, you could easily like this, but for me, who has watched thousands upon thousands of movies and the original Addamses were one of my favorite series, this is mediocre at best.

French Kiss (1995)
"I'm an ashole. What can I tell you?"
4 December 2019
A French petty criminal (Kevin Kline) tries to smuggle a stolen diamond necklace by plane from Canada to France, by planting it to a girl (Meg Ryan) who is traveling to retrieve her ex-fiance from a new girlfriend. There is also a good-hearted cop played by Jean Reno, always a welcome spice in French comedies. This romantic comedy is neither overly romantic nor particularly funny, but it is quite decently written and shot and is a good choice for brain relaxation, but not for re-watching.

Peeping Tom (1960)
"Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is? It's fear."
3 December 2019
The 1960s cult controversial horror thriller by Michael Powell is now considered the British counterpart of Hitchcock's "Psycho" and the originator of the slasher horror genre. Due to the considerable similarity to "snuff" films, it was so shocking and unacceptable in its time that after only five days it was withdrawn from cinema and it destroyed Powell's career. This is the first British mainstream film to explicitly portray nudity, as well as one of the first in which we see through the killer's eyes. Unlike "Psycho", this film is quite devoted to the characterization of a serial killer, with upsetting scenes of his traumatic childhood, so it somewhat evokes pity and sympathy, which was also totally unacceptable at the time. It has been almost two decades until the movie in its original form became available to the general public again and now it is considered a masterpiece of psychological horror.

Still, for some reason, I did not like it at all.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"See ya tomorrow night, Eleanor, with your fine ass."
29 November 2019
To save his brother's life, a retired car thief has to steal fifty rare vehicles in one night. He brings together an old crew and the madness begins. The film has no particular artistic value, nor does it carry deep messages, but this is not expected from an action film anyway. This is a movie based on awesome cars and adrenaline car chases. And when the lead roles are interpreted by one of my favorite actors and one of my favorite cars, the enjoyment is guaranteed. Angelina Jolie and the great soundtrack only complement the experience. If you are not a grumpy devotee of artistic movies, take a look, you won't regret it.

Psycho (1960)
Why does the detective every time leave the car through the passenger door?
27 November 2019
When I first saw this movie, I didn't like it. I was bored, and I think I rated it six out of ten. But I was younger, with less film experience and much less patience. Therefore I decided to give it another chance.

Nominated for four Oscars, Alfred Hitchcock's horror thriller "Psycho" is considered one of the best films of all time and one of the most influential films in the genre. The oldest R-rated movie can also be found on the lists of the most controversial films because, in its time, it was something new and shocking. Frankly, I was a little bored. Although technically well-made, with great camera, music, and performances by Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh, the story and overall atmosphere made no special impression on me. The introductory part, until Marion arrives at the motel, was needlessly dragged on for half an hour and, after hundreds of watched thrillers and horrors, neither did the rest of it particularly hold my attention. With all due respect for the status of this film, its impact on the history of cinema, the cult scene in the shower and one of the most legendary twists of all time, my subjective impression does not allow me to rate it higher than

7,5/10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beetlejuice (1988)
"What's the good of being a ghost if you can't frighten people away?"
22 November 2019
The young married couple invested a lot of time, love and effort into renovating the house and turning it into a home of their liking. And then they died and left trapped in the house as ghosts. Soon the house got new, extremely irritating owners, so the ghosts decided to get rid of them. When it doesn't work for them, they hire an (un)professional exterminator of the living - Betelgeuse.

This is only the second movie for Tim Burton, so the atmosphere he is known for is still evolving, but already recognizable. The story is for all ages, simple and tame enough for kids, but laced with jokes and references that make it interesting for adults. Burton has assembled a great cast. The lead roles are interpreted by Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis, with Michael Keaton in the title role, while the irritating new tenants are played by Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and then seventeen-year-old Jeffrey Jones.

As a kid, I adored this movie. I can't criticize anything in particular, because, for its target audience and the time in which it was made, it is really well done. But from today's perspective, it is too tame and tepid to me and I don't see any praiseworthy qualities. An average fantasy comedy for a single viewing.

Victim (1961)
"Well it used to be witches. At least they don't burn you."
21 November 2019
Homosexuality was illegal in Britain until the end of the 1960s, and even then it was legalized only for those over 21, 5 years higher than the legal minimum for heterosexual couples. This black-and-white thriller in the spirit of film noir follows a lawyer who risks his career and marriage in an attempt to locate a blackmailer that extorts money from homosexuals so as not to report them. Controversial movie by Basil Dearden was not shown in mainstream theaters, and is best known as the first movie to use the word "homosexual." Interestingly, the lead actor later revealed his homosexuality. I'm not thrilled, but it's worth a look.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I have to return some videotapes."
18 November 2019
Bale, as always, has fantastically laid out the role, and his every film reinforces me in the belief that he is one of the best, if not the best actor of his generation. But despite this genius in the lead role and the technical qualities of the film, "American Psycho" left me completely indifferent, because the story is totally lame.

1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Viridiana (1961)
I really don't like this guy
18 November 2019
"Viridiana" is considered one of the best films of all time and possibly the best Spanish film of the last century. It was not exactly unwatchable to me, but it bored me big time and I wouldn't watch it again if my life depended on it. I can't bash it for anything in particular, but I don't like it in any respect. No wonder, since I didn't like the other Buñuel's I watched. I think I didn't rate any of his "masterpieces" over five out of ten. The film won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 1961, but despite that recognition, it was immediately banned in Spain for blasphemy and obscenity (insinuation of incest, rape, and necrophilia).

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"One kiss for a dead man?"
12 November 2019
Festivals in Venice, Cannes, and Berlin have dismissed this film as Serbian propaganda, thus causing it a great injustice. Yes, it can be viewed from this angle, but more or less everything can be pulled out of context and misused. "Pretty Village" sends the same message as "The Knife" and shows all the meaninglessness of the war in Bosnia, only as a medium, instead of depressing drama, it uses black-humored comedy. But this humor is not cheerful humor, but rather underlines the horrors of war, perhaps even more striking than drama. To me, this is by far the most powerful war film I have ever watched and the best domestic film since the breakup of Yugoslavia.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."
11 November 2019
"This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

The cult gangster movie based on real characters and events has won two Academy Awards out of ten nominations and is rightly considered one of the best films of all time and probably the best in the genre. It served as inspiration for many films that followed, my favorite being "Natural Born Killers". Required watching.

Frozen Stiff (2002)
"I'm not going to tell you, bald"
7 November 2019
That's about the only scene that made me smile, which is a serious problem when you take into account that it is a comedy. Milorad Milinkovic's directorial debut is a comedy of confusion, but while the idea is good, it worked out badly. It relies more on vulgarity in the expression and behavior of the characters, as well as our sympathy for well-known actors, than on the qualities of the story itself, which is rather lazily written. The movie is not boring, but it is not particularly funny either, and apart from the idea and strong cast, I have nothing to praise and recommend.

Barely watchable
6 November 2019
This black-and-white film by Swedish director Vilgot Sjöman combines explicit nudity (the first mainstream film to feature a full frontal of a naked man), sex and male-female relationships with controversial political views. For that reason, it was often banned, in the case of Spain until 2005. Although it has a cult status, to me it was extremely boring.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"A stupid game? Maybe so, but it was our game."
4 November 2019
When I first saw this movie a few years ago, I was under the impression for days. Halfway through, it became one of my favorites and I rated it nine. This time the impression was somewhat weaker. Maybe due to the lack of a surprise factor, but I think that's exactly what allowed me to perceive it more objectively. The film follows the life of a couple, crazy in love with each other, ever since they met in early childhood. But instead of being together, they spend their lives as best friends who have devoted their entire lives to a completely wicked and at times sick challenging game. The story is original and full of surprises, but on the second watching, when there are no surprises and shocks, it loses quite a lot. I don't know the lead actor from before, and he didn't make much of an impression on me, though he was far from being bad, but Marion Cotillard nailed her role as usual. The directing and editing are extremely interesting and totally in the French style, and it would be obvious that the film is French even if it was made in English. I didn't like the ending, but it may be that the whole story makes sense only with such an ending. I'm not even sure I understood it well. I'm left with very mixed feelings, but the movie is definitely worth the attention. I think it's best not to try too hard to look at it objectively and analyze it, but just let its madness carry you. Warm recommendation.

The Knife (1999)
Faith brings you closer to God, religion is a highway to Hell
2 November 2019
I get creeps every time I hear a split on Serbs and Muslims. Being a Serb is a national affiliation, being a Muslim is a religious affiliation. It's as if we divided cars into German and sports, or movies into comedies and black and white. The tragedy of this area is ironic and I do not know what these people have sinned so much to deserve such karma. Demos divided into three religions, imbued and poisoned with religious hatred, brainwashed to slaughter each other again and again. It would be funny to me if I didn't belong to that folk. As if we have fallen out of some morbid joke. If we neglect the production and flaws of the domestic film that we learned to ignore, we are left with a story that perfectly and painfully portrays all the irony and all the meaninglessness of the Balkan wars. For most of the movie I felt disgust and shame, and in the scene where Halil crossed on his knees over the ruins of the church, I've shed a tear. I think it's one of the most powerful scenes in domestic cinematography. Draskovic wrote this novel in 1982, and with all my heart I would like to believe that the bullcrap of the 1990s would not happen if everyone had read it then. But I don't.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost unwatchable
31 October 2019
This controversial documentary by Frederick Wiseman was banned worldwide from its creation in 1967 until 1992. It shows the state of affairs at the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Bridgewater, a prison hospital for the criminally insane and, although Wiseman had permission to shoot, the result was very bad publicity for the government, so this is the only American film banned for reasons other than obscenity or national security, but rather for violation of the privacy of prisoners. This documentary is very difficult, and since it has no story, but only strings gruesome and disgusting scenes, in addition to being nauseous, it is also quite boring. I respect the intent of the author, but I barely made it to the end.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"It was kind of fun in a necrophile sort of way"
25 October 2019
Mystery, conspiracy, paranoia, fear ... that this film fails to deliver impressive enough. It was conceived as a psychological horror, and maybe for the average '60s viewer it really was, but after thousands of watched films and from the perspective of the 21st century, it left me quite indifferent and I would classify it as a mediocre psychological drama. It was neither tense nor dramatic, and certainly not frightful. Moreover, for the most part I was bored and only the end made a somewhat stronger impression. However, from the point of view of cinematography, directing and acting, the film is very well made and because of that, as well as its influence on the genre, I have to rate it at least slightly above average.