Reviews

Chicago P.D.: What Do You Do (2015)
Season 2, Episode 15
IDIOT
15 October 2019
Apparently, viewers like stupidity to the absolute extreme. What could be more stupid than a beat cop going into a completely unknown building having lost both weapons and radios knowing the perp has at least 3 guns. Game over. Cops dead. At least they should be. (She says later that she's afraid to die which makes her even more stupid.)

After that it the scenarios only get more stupid, at least for the captured cops. Stupid on top of stupid. They both should have been dead at least three times over.

And Roman after being shot and kicked, well yeah, that's believable. Meanwhile Burgess looks more like a sissy at times than a cop.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Company (2012)
Season 7, Episode 20
A gem after a string of hohum episodes
12 October 2019
Since episode 12, I have been waiting for the magic to resurface and this episode does it in style. It is more than a just a Morgan special. It has so many good elements.

It goes without saying that the villain is so detestable, but this is a good topic to bring out that emotion. In some ways it would seem like the torture he inflicted was mild compared to women having joints permanently dislocated, or toes cut off, or an arm chopped off or worse, but one only has to consider how many men there are at least partly like him, and how many women suffer the loss of their personhood in a lasting relationship and even marriage to recognize that this case is also worthy of the CM horror hall of fame.

The viewer is pulled emotionally by Cindi's plight, but I didn't think it took much acting on the part of Shanola Hampton. Nevertheless, she delivered the character and the heartache.

The story was great. The viewer thinks things are going one way (except if you are watching the clock and know too much time is left), and then bam. Why? Not only is the team asking but so is the viewer. I thought the way they got the key information from the lawyer was a bit too easy, but otherwise the scenario is moving right along.

Then the very last scene caps off the episode like icing on the cake. Classic CM.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Edge of Winter (2014)
Season 9, Episode 19
A Morgan episode
5 October 2019
Morgan is featured in this episode along with the witness, Daria, and the rest of the team has a far smaller role. Of course this makes sense since much of the story is Morgan interviewing Daria.

This is a difficult story. CM is nothing if not most often creepy and disturbing in showing the ways sadistic people treat other human beings. This episode finds a new way to emphasize that and in some ways it is more disturbing than usual. I would say memorably so.

Through most of the episode, things are moving along slowly and it looks like it will be a subpar one. Certainly Aasha Davis is doing a good job in a difficult role and as it progresses toward the end, the viewer becomes more and more appalled at her experience. And then there is a twist that ratchets everything up tenfold.

If you like disturbing, then this should be one of the best. For me it was too disturbing so I can't give it 10 stars..
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: 200 (2014)
Season 9, Episode 14
JJ episode
4 October 2019
I really like that we learn more about what JJ did in the year away. And Will is a saint to know what he knows and not be worried or jealous. I hated (in the way you are supposed to in a good episode) what was done to Matt and especially JJ. It was good how the story lead JJ to the truth and the team to JJ.

I can't give the episode a full endorsement for a couple of reasons. One is a reality check. If JJ entered the panic code, how can the system still give the data?

A bigger issue is a pet peeve I have with shows like this and the two NCIS spinoffs. On TV, government agents go "off the reservation" constantly. Well you don't keep you job if you do that, especially if you act contrary to a direct order from the high honcho (was it the Director or the Secretary - I missed that). Even if you save the day doing it, you get punished somehow and heavily punished. TV writers and viewers seem to think it's OK, but really it is not a good thing for the overall picture.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Black Queen (2014)
Season 9, Episode 12
Suspicious voting
4 October 2019
As of this writing in October 2019, literally just over half the star ratings are 1 star or the worst rating possible.

1 star ratings are almost always based on anger at something and it is usually one single point rather than the episode or show as a whole. And when you see an unusually large distribution of 1 star, especially if the bulk of the ratings are much higher, then there is usually some ballot box stuffing going on. It happens often enough on IMDb.

I'm at something of a loss to see what the trigger for this might be. Is it the sexual harassment issue? Maybe. If it is negative reaction to the fact Garcia and Morgan have that going far too much (which is probably true), then why punish this episode? If it is a reaction to the process of an employer policing such actions, that is more understandable but it is an unfair reaction. Such policing is necessary even if some people think it is difficult to apply fairly. For a show that has had unsubs do almost anything horrible imaginable, and some things even unimaginable, it is hard to imagine what else might be causing this rating reaction.

I enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed learning more about Garcia even if some contradictions to earlier episodes resulted. I loved her entrance as Black Queen. There was some decent profiling.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Replicator (2013)
Season 8, Episode 24
OK
2 October 2019
If you've read any of my reviews on episodes with the most notorious unsubs, you have seen that I hate what I call the "omnipotent criminal (unsub)". My biggest reason for that is because usually these unsubs are inexplicably godlike. With the Replicator, at least they made his "omnipotence" partially explicable. He is a wealthy insider, so he has access to things that outsiders don't have access to. His prowess is still a bit much, but with enough smoke and mirrors, it's not as outlandish. One objection is how he could have maintained his position for so long and have been so psychotic. People in those high profile positions go through regular psychological reviews and I think even lie detector tests that are quite invasive.

This unsub is definitely as psychotic as CM's worst unsubs. But after that, he is just boring. The story does give us pieces of the mystery unfolding in a suspenseful way.

While watching our heroes go through his house, my first thought was why the white collar agents rather than the SWAT people? (Actually, my mind often asks that when our heroes lead the charge into dangerous situations.) We see later that there are plenty of other agents of all types surrounding the place.

While Blake is the center of the unsub's attention, I am still not impressed with her contributions to crime solving. It's true, she does contribute emotionally, but not in any outstanding way.

Many episodes end with touching moments. Funerals often lead to team social gatherings to show that they are a Family. But I just couldn't get into memorializing Strauss. I never liked her. For one thing she was inconsistent and came off as weak at times.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Mosley Lane (2010)
Season 5, Episode 16
Hope
2 October 2019
Oddly,, because of messed up cable scheduling of reruns on multiple networks, "Nanny Dearest" is the last episode I've watched, even just today, and it has some similarities.

Ann Cusack does a wonderful job as one victim's mother, actually a victim herself. Just like Tara in Nanny Dearest, Sarah works through crushing circumstances and her bravery triumphs when needed. She gives life to the story of the victim and of her emotions.

And JJ once again supplies her mother's heart to the team as a guiding beacon of hope for team and victims.

While I wasn't super impressed by detective aspects of the story, Cusack's character held my attention until the last scene or two when emotions were unleashed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Nanny Dearest (2013)
Season 8, Episode 21
Emorional
1 October 2019
Like CM at it's best, there is a ton of emotion in this episode. This show always has badly abused victims, but Yara Martinez really brings to life the aftermath of that abuse as she plays Tara, the one who escaped but not before a lot of suffering of her own. The plot leads her on a journey from adamantly resistant to giving into the needs of the latest family despite an obvious continuing torture on Tara's part. The viewer can almost understand her resistance and then cheers for her as she bravely agrees to help. But the story isn't over and there is plenty of room for tears through the final couple of scenes. Could it be that Melody brings Tara some healing?

The more I see JJ, the more impressed I am. I have long considered Spence the standout in a pack of over-achievers, but JJ continues to show not just a gentle touch and an inner strength, but also the ability to translate that into physical prowess. Amazing shot, JJ. She was also a big factor in getting help from Tara.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a spotlight on Blake. She's not invisible, but I'd have to rank her as the giving the least contribution of any of the team. and that applies to most of her run so far.

I like that there is a little less emphasis in this episode on giving the unsub screen time. There is just enough to reveal his cruelty. For me, I think that is the way I like it. Let's see more of the heroes, especially if they are not regulars, and less time spent following the unsub around.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: JJ (2010)
Season 6, Episode 2
That's two (or is it three)
30 September 2019
If it were 3 "strikes", we would be done. Somehow, despite the next big mistake also, CM survived. By this point in 2019, this sorry time for CM show runners has been much discussed and later events have proved their error. They learned reluctantly, and not very well since they continue to shuffle team members in and out right up to the present. Seaver would follow JJ and she was another weak character except for a couple of episodes. Blake was a stronger character, but didn't have many stand out moments. CBS stated they wanted to "refresh", but if anything, most of the rest of this season and next is duller, and ironically, Prentiss was key to some of the exceptions.

It could not have happened in 2019. At the point of this episode, the show runners had demonstrated their inability to handle strong women characters and possibly even a disrespect for them. Elle was mostly invisible for her full season and only became significant by becoming a negative character in season 2. It's strange that the episode prior to this was a real tribute to JJ, and she had strong impact to the team in this one also. She was partly instrumental in the hail mary that saved the victim, not to mention her influence with the family.

I find the plot explanation for her leaving to be contrary to what I would expect in that world. The kind of job JJ was moving to was supposed to be high profile. Candidates would be stopping at nothing to get the job and there must have been dozens of good candidates. So some mysterious higher pay grade, executive branch person decides to force someone who doesn't want the job. That sounds backwards. I would expect that any candidate who even blinks or pauses before saying yes would be rejected when they are at this level.

As to the case story, there is a bunch of profiling and posturing that basically leads nowhere and suddenly a helicopter flies 70 miles out into the ocean at night and finds the victim? (Are there buoys 70 miles out?) As I already implied JJ was the only real standout team member in this story.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Longest Night (2010)
Season 6, Episode 1
Storytelling supreme
30 September 2019
(Preface background: This is at least my second time through watching CM and due to erratic cable syndication schedules, there is almost no logical order to how I am re-watching and then reviewing.)

Some episodes are just episodes. In them, there is a story, but not quite a Story. We are used to say 3 stories a night, 6 nights a week (maybe 7). But we long for a real Story. This was one.

It has a villain. Tim Curry is the kind of villain that goes down in lore. His acting brings the character to life. The viewer comes to hate him as much as Morgan does. And you notice I talk about the villain as Tim Curry, not Billy Flynn. Curry does that much to personify him.

Ellie stands in the place which might be called a damsel in distress, if that weren't so anti-PC. It's OK though, I think, because she is smart and courageous and even belligerent, and since she is a kid, it is not an insult to call her that. Isabella Murad does it so well. I would say she is the star, except that this episode had so many stars.

Morgan personifies our hate and he ends up being the hero who confronts the villain, but wait, who rescued the damsel? Not Morgan.

Oh JJ. Bravo, bravo. (Should it be "brava"?) In a series that has had a hard time showing us strong women in earlier years, JJ steps up and rescues the damsel. And how does she do it? She does it as a mom. Is there any mortal stronger than a mom? Not today.

I didn't always think all the elements made sense, but life doesn't make sense. Psychopaths don't make sense and certainly this one doesn't. And sometimes sense doesn't do the saving.

Yes, this is possibly the best, or at least one of the top 5 episodes of CM, certainly to this point in the series. 100 may be more memorable because of it's sadness and consequences, but this episode is better. It is certainly better storytelling. At the end of a review on Zugzwant (season 8), which I rewatched and reviewed before this episode, I ask if sadness and tragedy are more profound than victory or love. Perhaps this story answers that question in the negative.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Our Darkest Hour (2010)
Season 5, Episode 23
Interesting cast
30 September 2019
Robert Davi from Profiler (which I consider to be a forerunner to CM) appears early and often, but doesn't really do much. Eric Close has a bigger part. Linda Purl, Fonzi's girlfriend has two quick scenes mostly hysterical. But Tim Curry is Tim Curry. We get brief glimpses until the last scene and they his essence comes through.

I found it really strange that Morgan resists going in without backup, and rightfully so. But that is almost never true in other episodes. He is almost always chasing off alone and usually wins out, although a couple of times he gets winged for it.

Season finale so you know something is going to carry over until next season and this time, it is the fate of Spicer's daughter. It really doesn't fit the unsub that he leaves Morgan and Spicer's sister alive. The sister maybe since he didn't really have time to do what he usually does. I wouldn't put this one near the top of finales, but it has its moments.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Zugzwang (2013)
Season 8, Episode 12
More than 100
30 September 2019
Spence is my hero in this show, so all my thoughts on this episode must be considered through that filter.

Spence is probably the most victimized cast member of CM. That is part of what makes this episode so sad and so maddening. Of all his trials and tortures, this is the worst. As such, that makes this episode the most memorable of the entire series.

This is classic CM. Unsub strategies and cruelty, team profiling, Reid genius, team loyalty.

I hated the ending and yes it was cliche in a general sense, but it was contrived in the final execution (pun not intended). So hate it, but be honest. Hating it is perfectly OK and perhaps the desired outcome of the writers, but that doesn't make it bad. I thought there was a particular brilliance in the sequence that led up to the contrived final act. Diane tried to force Reid to crush Maeve and instead Maeve died with not just one but two things that couldn't be taken away, the second being Reid's active willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Is sadness and tragedy more profound than victory or love. 100 and Zugzwang stand out in my mind like no positive CM ending I can think of. (And I have seen 13 seasons of it.)

BTW one of my pet peeves of crime shows especially CM is what I call the omnipotent criminal (unsub). Diane is not quite omnipotent like Scratch and Reaper, but she does manage to have amazing resources for a failed geneticist and a lone unsub at that. She has no trouble moving the boyfriend and Maeve in a busy city. She has state-of-the-art surveillance in at least two places. She's managed to secretly stalk at least 3 people. She out-wrestles Reid. She's not omnipotent, but she is quite talented in a lot of areas. Minus 1 star.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Lesson (2012)
Season 8, Episode 10
Creepy
29 September 2019
Creep factor 10. Detective factor 7. Profiling 5. Team interaction - mixed 7. Postlude 10+++.

Personal taste. Episodes have been more about the unsub and his/her victims for a while now. In a show that is already one of the creepiest on TV, this episode ranks up there, especially if you think about the post-story future for the survivor.

What hooked me on this show in the early seasons was the profiling and the interactions of the team. Reid has always been one, if not the foremost, of my three favorites, and one of those, Gideon, is long gone. As in many of this season's episodes, the team is relying on Garcia's almost magical data collection combined with detective work and only some profiling. (Garcia's magic relies heavily on data,, much of which, probably does not really exist in any computer or central database. That's just normal for this show.)

Trying to avoid spoilers, I can only say that the postlude brings out the viewer's emotions in a big way.

Blake's very temporary predecessor, Seaver, was much criticized for her invisibility for much of her run. (Actually I would say that criticism belongs to the writers more than the actor.) Blake is more assertive and more of a natural part of the team. Yet, most of her character's notable contribution so far has been her personal support of Spence. I'm waiting for her to break the CM mold set by Elle and Seaver. Prentiss and JJ broke that mold and both got at least temporarily exiled. There is hope because JJ has returned and is a key contributor.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Unknown Subject (2012)
Season 7, Episode 12
Good mystery. Powerful statement.
28 September 2019
Talk about red herrings. For a big part of the story, the viewer is going back forth with this one or that.

All CM episodes are creepy. They seem to find new ways to do creepy. But this was much more than that. This wasn't a far fetched creepy. This one brought home a real life trauma as few shows or movies do. A powerful statement of the lasting consequences of rape. The ending two scenes were particularly compelling.

Paget Brewster has always played an Emily more enigmatic than even Hotchner. She does again here, so well. But there is a moment.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Stranger (2011)
Season 6, Episode 21
Finally
27 September 2019
Actually "finally" two things.

1) I began to feel sorry for Rachel Nichols. Up until this point (except for her debut and a minor thing in the last episode) Ashley Seaver has had less of a role than any other member of the BAU past or present (and I think even future). That includes even the barely visible Elle. Seaver hasn't been just insignificant, she has been totally non-existent. Put a red shirt on her and I would expect her to die in the next scene. But finally Seaver has a chance to shine. Even before the confrontation, she is participating more and with confidence and knowledge. It still doesn't make sense that such a rookie would be at all proficient as a profiler, but she succeeds in this episode. I loved when she told Kate to shut up unless she said I'm sorry.

2) Strauss finally makes sense. I thought it so unfair that she would pressure the team after Emily's demise instead of supporting them. We learn that there is a reason, even if it's not clear yet what it is.

Beyond these two things, it was a good episode. The mystery had more to do with why rather than who, but those pieces came together nicely over the course of the episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Valhalla (2011)
Season 6, Episode 17
Personal taste
27 September 2019
On principle, I hate this type of episode, but a few details enhance that feeling. What I hate is the combination of omnipotent criminal plus secret conspiracy which is probably inside our own government.

In this episode, Emily is what I consider almost criminal in her withholding information from the team. At this point, it makes no sense. But worse, she is withholding it from her "family". *** SPOILER FOR LATER EPISODES ^^^ When she comes back everyone will be mad at her and Hotch and JJ for keeping a certain thing secret. What they ought to be mad at is strictly Emily for how long she hid her connection to Doyle. I am angry in large part because of her betrayal. ***END SPOILER***

Seaver receives a lot of space in reviews on this site. There is good reason, but I hesitate to blame Nichols. No actor can shine the way Seaver is written. I trace it back to the same thinking the marginalized Elle for her entire run the first year, then somewhat marginalized JJ in the early days. But with Seaver, the marginalization is extreme. It is an absolute farce. We ask what is her character there for? There is never really a good explanation for Seaver being there. It seems that the most likely answer is that she is a pretty blonde possibly replacing JJ for a time. If so, that's just bad.

In fairness, if I ignore my pet peeves, the story is good, as is the acting, and there is plenty of suspense.

Unfortunately, this episode has no conclusion and the final words are "to be continued".
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Coda (2011)
Season 6, Episode 16
Mixed
27 September 2019
Spence stars again. The journey to answers with the autistic kid is interesting but seems contrived. Maybe.

I have a problem with the entire thought process of the main story. The unsub was twisted in an unusual way for CM. The story tries to preserve innocent motives for him but that is a fallacy. His final act is just as selfish as the rest and it just increases the victimization he inflicts. How can the wife ever live normally after killing?

The final act with Prentiss introduces my biggest pet peeve - the omnipotent criminal which carries over at least two more episodes. There is no reasonable explanation for how much he knows about the team. And the resistance by Emily and her shadowy colleagues to bring in the FBI is just as unlikely. Why? This show doesn't need such contrivances. But they do it anyway.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Corazon (2011)
Season 6, Episode 12
Reid again
27 September 2019
I get tired of Reid as a victim. I can't remember how many times over 13 seasons he has been a victim. Even so, he comes through even if he does it limping (figuratively).

I did not like the spiritual elements of this episode probably because it seems contrary to the scientific nature of this show which is what appeals to me about it.

Why did Reid go alone? That always causes him trouble, even mortal peril. Interesting that Hotch barely chastises him. Reid has previously promised he wouldn't do it "ever again". Hotch recently came down hard on Seaver saying "we are a team". I suppose the explanation is that he was "under a spell" but that didn't come through strongly enough.

Speaking of Seaver, is she merely going to be the token blond with JJ gone, despite an eventful introduction. Seaver doesn't make sense at all. She's a rookie, a probie, not even really on the team, but she acts like a regular member except for the fact she doesn't do much. I was excited to see her join the show even if only technically a guest star, but if she is just going to be a body taking up space, that is very disappointing. I hope that doesn't turn out to be true.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: 25 to Life (2010)
Season 6, Episode 11
Stupid and reckless confrontation
27 September 2019
For once it's not Hotch under the microscope. Morgan says he's not doing it to save himself, but how could that not be a major motivation. The confrontation at the fundraiser was typical of so many television writers who want us to think our heroes will risk anything for truth and justice. It was stupid and reckless. Despite the outcome, Morgan deserves disciplinary action. That was enough to ruin the episode for me, which up to that point was simply on the low side of average or OK.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: What Happens at Home... (2010)
Season 6, Episode 10
A unexpected gem
27 September 2019
I have always liked Rachel Nichols. She has the looks, but it's far more than that. In her debut on CM she knocks it out of the park. Seaver has natural instincts and I thought Hotch was a little tough on her.

As for the story, there were some excellent red herrings, but I saw something revealing just before any of the agents figured it out.

I agree though with a problem posed by another reviewer. Gun or no, the agent who was impressing the heck out of everyone at the Academy, including physical skills, acted more useless than Spencer when her skills were needed. (Actually, the supposedly clumsy Spencer has handled himself fairly well most times physical skills were needed.)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Risky Business (2010)
Season 5, Episode 13
Subject relates to teen suicide
26 September 2019
Teen suicide is a subject that receives a lot of screen time in media and a lot of pages in books. Teens seem drawn to the topic of death and suicide. This episode touches on it but I wouldn't consider it in depth.

The episode goes a little deeper on suicide games and self-strangulation.

There are some touching moments. One moment that stands out even among many moments through the series is brief. It is the last minute or so before the credits. We see into both JJ and Hotch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Uncanny Valley (2010)
Season 5, Episode 12
Reid
26 September 2019
If Reid is featured, I'm probably going to like an episode more. In this episode, I love how Reid switches into serious mode, almost vindictive, and then almost immediately he turns gentle and nurturing.

A lot of the episode is spent wheel-spinning as the team searches for the key clue. But then we spend some time with the victims. The suspense there is almost agonizing if it weren't for the fact that looking at the time left, you have some idea of how things will go at least until something bigger happens. And then it does. Once this episode starts rolling, things progress quickly.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: The Slave of Duty (2009)
Season 5, Episode 10
Aftermath
26 September 2019
This episode piggy-backed and relied heavily on the circumstances from the previous episode. It plays heavily on the emotions from that and the emotions resonate with the viewer. It is more than just a quick funeral scene and they jump back and forth between the current case and follow-up to Haley's death. As we watch a home movie, we even get to see a version of Haley that erases her angry moments of earlier episodes.

I thought the case was just OK. There are some strong moments with the unsub and at least one of his victims, but I thought the team more or less coasted to a solution. There wasn't any great Spencer moment. Prentiss, as is common, gets her ire up in defense of women victims. Morgan's selflessness is too good to be real. On the other hand, trying to present all the events and emotions relating to Haley without mixing it in with a case wouldn't have played nearly as well.

On the home front, it does make sense what Strauss suggests. What doesn't make sense is that it's only a suggestion and apparently has no teeth. Haley's sister's response is also surprising and maybe a little altruistic. I have to admit that my slightly perverse mind conjured thoughts of her and Hotch actually hooking up in future episodes. (A Hallmark movie would probably do it and has.) Hotch's decision is eminently convenient for fans of the show but doesn't really seem to make sense until his final line to Rossi, a very appropriate comment given the Hotch we know.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: 100 (2009)
Season 5, Episode 9
Most memorable episode
26 September 2019
Given the suspense of the moment, the extreme grief of the outcome, and the profound consequences, this episode is the most memorable of the Criminal Minds show. It also contains many of the elements that I love, that make the show what it is. There is a lot of profiling and deduction. There is sparkling witty dialogue. The few moments that we see Spence, his character excels. There are so many poignant moments. The code with Jack is brilliant. The actions of the villain are awful. This episode is literally filled with these elements, especially suspense and poignancy.

1 star deduction for things I hate. I hate witch hunts. I hate when a procedural show starts with a bureaucratic investigation and uses flashbacks to tell the story (although in this case that didn't ruin the flow as much as they sometimes do). As to the basis of the witch hunt, in an unbiased world with no agendas and where rules are secondary to people, it would be hard to fault anything Hotch did. However, there are rules and agendas in the world and many of them exist for a reason. An organization like the FBI needs to, and should, live by rules. Rules protect the general public and actions based on personal feelings can and are damaging to others outside the immediate situation. What doesn't make sense is Strauss suddenly changing her official stance as if none of it mattered. (I never liked Strauss. As a villain, she was weak. As a boss, she was indecisive and too political. ) Perhaps they wink at these things a little and keep him in the agency and on the team, but they don't immediately return him to unit chief especially if any of the earlier questions about him were legitimate.

Because of the objections I raise, I can't give this episode a perfect 10. That doesn't mean it doesn't stand out at the top of the list in so many ways. Especially if you don't personally cringe with me at some of my pet peeves, this episode is eminently watchable and brilliant.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Criminal Minds: Hope (2011)
Season 7, Episode 8
25 September 2019
Heavy suspense. Yet another unthinkable perversion.