Reviews

JourneyQuest (2010– )
Stick to LARPing
30 January 2019
As someone who has played table top and LARP for over 30 years I found this unbelievebly dull. I'd rather sit and watch the people around me play. The acting is better, the characters more well developed and the plots more complex.

It was like watching someones first self written D&D scenario acted out by 15 year old drama students.
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unlocked (I) (2017)
Edge of your seat thriller
5 May 2017
Unlocked stars Noomie Rapace, Orlando Bloom, John Malkovich, Michael Douglas and Toni Collette. Evey one of them played an interesting character with some great performances, especially Ms Rapace and Mr Malkovic.

It didn't get very good reviews in the UK press and I don't know why. It starts out as your typical CIA thriller but gets all twisty and turny with intricate plot type stuff (which actually makes sense and doesn't have many plot holes or really stupid antagonists) and masses of action. It was nicely scripted too with some brutal looking violence that kept you on the edge of your seat for most of the film.
100 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neighbors (I) (2014)
Bad Scripting
17 May 2014
When I first started watching this I thought like Knocked Up it may get funnier as it went along. Then I realised this is probably what the sequel to Knocked Up would be if you took all the good bits out and put a fraternity next door.

When it wasn't poorly executed dick jokes it was the main characters mugging it up and overacting. Rose Byrne is an okay actress but this was terrible (actually she was also in a film I walked out of it was so bad, really never go and see I give it a year!).

In fact the whole script pretty much stank.

We decided as a group of females that if Zac Efron hadn't spent have the movie with his shirt off that we would have left.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wouldn't give it a minute
20 February 2013
When they said this was the Rom Com of the year I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But then the year is young and the critic must have had a sense of humour bypass.

From the terrible best man speech at the outset it was clear that the script writer decided that it was beyond funny to have someone say something inappropriate at exactly the wrong moment... all the time.

The main characters had no redeeming features and you just wanted them to leave the screen.

The 'scene stealer' by the guidance councillor was no more than a tirade of over the top bad language and has been done better with less swearing by Basil Faulty.

I only gave it a 1 because there isn't a lower score option.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst film I have ever seen
20 August 2012
With a shooting style of a poor documentary and an annoying voice over from Hound from the outset I was hoping that things would improve.

But this is a film so poor that it isn't even listed on Flixster. It is truly awful. The casting is mismatched. The script is slow, dull and delivered like an over the top sketch show. The acting skills of the cast is barely taxed as they plod from one set piece to the next with little continuity.

Then it turns into a misplaced romantic comedy with delusions of grandeur. Which is when half the audience lost the will to live and walked out.

First time I have ever walked out of a film. It was that bad.
11 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
River of never ending tedium
21 March 2012
One of the worst scripts ever. This film was written, directed and produced by Bruce Koehler. I firmly believe he did it all himself because no one else was stupid enough to think that the abysmal script would work as anything other than toilet paper.

The acting was so wooden that the rest of the cast made Angle and co look like the spirits of Olivier. Don't get me wrong, they were by no means good. But the film started poor and just got steadily worse. The cinematography would have been substandard for views of Home and Away. Even low budget B-Movies should have standards. One last thing. Don't get me started on the 'special effects'. I have seen more convincing at Halloween parties.

In all this was amateur hour at its very worst.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You need a script for a movie to work
25 August 2011
This started with a small spark of promise that died in the scriptwriters hands. The characters had no depth at all and the talented cast had absolutely no script to work with. The action sequences were well choreographed and brutally detailed, but the too fast action and hatchet job editing turned this possibly watchable movie into a nightmare.

It makes the original version look full of well rounded characters. Slick editing, good continuity, a well thought out script and good production values.

Really, the continuity guy should have been terminated.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.