Reviews

It (1990)
one of the best that hasn't aged well
26 August 2017
The good Tim Curry delivers an excellent menacing performance as do the younger cast. Ironically the later half of the mini series captures the late 80's yuppie professional so well which also dates the film. Many of my favorite moments are with the younger cast, perfectly capturing the feel of the book, the relationships and wonder of being a kid in an earlier time. There are eerie moments, where clearly the adults completely ignore what's happening to their kids, an interesting part of the plot. You relate to these kids their acting is so much better than their adult counterparts,and they have real chemistry. Then the second half lacks so much of that yet Pennywise still manages to make your skin crawl. The cast us made up of popular television actors of the time it's easy to see why they were cast it's just to bad they didn't have the connection the kids did. The last thing that kinda kiss the finale is the poor interpretation of what Pennywise really is and after a 3hr20 minutes it does affect your overall impression. I still recommend seeing IT and reading the book. Very enjoyable a few creepy moments, one liners that stay with you, you'll never look at balloons the same way.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abattoir (2016)
Atmospheric, we'll paced and Creepy
13 December 2016
I admit to being a fan of Mr.Bousman and I have always found his style interesting from camera angles to getting the most bang for his buck on limited budgets. Abattoir is perhaps one of his most stylish, from the cinematography to the shading. I kept having this feeling it was an X-file eerie, engrossing visceral. If you watch 11/11, The Barrens and this ft his film there is no doubt he has become a true master of horror. I think you should see this film the technical aspects are a real accomplishment. Lynn Shays has become a horror staple but she always delivers memorable performances and does so again with a strange love hate schizo lady that will surely creep you out.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Stylish 3D Sci-fi Action Fun
28 September 2016
Aaron Eckhart gives a competent performance,the film picks up where as The creature is laying his creator to rest. We are thrust into modern day and there are Gargoyles and Demons at war. Bill Nighy leads a group of Demons masquerading as humans. Miranda Otto you'll remember front Lord of the Rings leads the Gargoyles. The film has a unique premise, very slick stylish visual FX and lots of action if you can see it in 3D it's even better. I found it very entertaining, fun and though there are some story and dialogue issues it's easily better than average with a huge budget, a good cast that also includes Jai Courteney from Terminator Genisys, Mahesh Jadu of Marco Polo. If your a fan of Underworld or Resident Evil you should enjoy this the Gargoyle Transformations and Demon deaths are well done and I thought very original. It's never gonna be A 10 buts it's easily a 7 worth seeing great way to pass a rainy day or sleepless night
Feels Like A TV Movie
20 June 2016
Picking up 2 years after the events in Wachtower, Chase has been discredited, trying to redeem himself continues his investigation aided by new allies. Television series veteran director Pat Williams infuses better pacing. Stylish camera shots, yet somehow it never rises above that feeling of a TV movie of the week. Jesse Metcalfe shows of his action hero chops taking on faster moving Zombies. Billy Zane is wasted as a evil Scientist his scenes are few. Throughout there's this feeling that something is missing, in some ways it's better than the first in other ways it fails overall it's still above your acreage zombie movie. I might need to watch it again, I gave the first an 8 giving this sequel a 7 mainly because it the only improvement is in style and pacing.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ladyhawke (1985)
some films age beautifully
7 June 2016
Let me start with the bad, the score it doesn't fit the time but I'm sure some studio head thought we need this to appeal to younger audiences of the time. Vittorio Storraro Cinematography is stunning, lush colors, locations, no CGI here my friends. The castles and mountains to the costumes and villages just take you back in time adding to this fine, fun, fantasy. Michelle Pfeiffer youth and beauty, Matthew Brodericks awkwardness are all well played throughout,to be honest he's quite funny. Rutger Hauer has always had mixed success be here his presence is fitting, rent it online or watch it in rerun you won't be disappointed they don't make films like this anymore and when they try so filled with CGI they don't have the organic immersive feeling this Romantic Fantasy Adventure delivers.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW!!! X-Men Perfection
27 May 2016
Wow!!! What writer Chris Claremont did for the Xmen comic in the 80's Director Writer Brian Singer is doing for the Xmen film franchise this movie brings us full circle even through the altered time line after Days of Future Past back to the first Xmen film only now that the time line was altered do we see the true repercussion. That's saying a lot people get twisted with timeline alterations but this connects things from all the movies and of course from First Class to Apocalypse. More than that it gives more foundation to what we see when Logan returns to the mansion after Future Past to find Phoenix and Cyclops alive and more than that go back to the first film and remember Xavier knew things about Logan. When timelines are altered somethings stay the same but play out differently like Mystique working in the Danger Room make note of the Sentinels from the first movie to the newest perfect example of timeline alterations yet stay the same. Brian Singer is a Genius. OH Yeah go see it omg its so good critics be damned Long Live the Phoenix.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gods of Egypt (2016)
Bathed in Light, Love & Stylish 3D Adventure
26 May 2016
Gerard Butler as a Villains and he chews it up ever so subtly. Nicholas Coaster-Waldau plays his part with equal measure neither actor trying to out do one another. There are really touching and funny bits here and there in fact the thing about this movie as opposed to let's say Wrath of the Titans no one ever over acts and Alex Proyas maneuvers through this visually beautiful film with the same ease as smoothness of a knife cutting butter gently thoughtfully and it works. You will grow to love Beck, to admire Hathor, without warning you'll find yourself cheering on the hero and it all happens so subtly. A fresh in film in a time of Bombastic loud Super hero movies Alex Proyas there is a third Act to his Directing career and abilities adding a new layer to his talent we have all come to love. No its not Dark City or I Robot but it is bathed in light, love, beauty something unexpected from what he's done Before I like it a lot. The 3D is done with care and restraint but no less impact full when it should be see it.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dude...Dude?
25 May 2015
I love disaster flicks often I work from home and just put them on my streaming playlist to fill the silent void as I work. I have discovered a few hidden gems using this practice, however this is not a gem, dude its a dud. David Chokachi is a decent actor wasted in this below average snooze fest. I've become accustomed to the works of the Asylum,UFO Films ,and Cinetel,enter now Marisa Films, what are these Tax Shelters? Remember back in the day low budget movies that actually tried to live up to the big guys, not anymore cheap special FX no attempt to make a quality production just sell it to one of the hundreds of worldwide TV channels and break even. Your not missing anything by not swing this movie.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seventh Son (I) (2014)
3D Fun Action Packed Fantasy Romp
1 May 2015
We Really Enjoyed this movie as fans of Clash of the Titans, Dragonslayer and Lord of the Rings, this sword & sorcery adventures this one has It all. Competent acting from a well known and likable ensemble cast, Julianne Moore chews up her scenes with delight as the villainess, while Jeff Bridges delivers some great lines and the atmosphere beautiful misty fantasy like cinematography combine to bring us this classic styled matinée popcorn movie.I wasn't aware of its production history and it takes nothing away from enjoying it for what it is a well made fun filled fantasy action adventure beautifully shot in truly eye-popping 3D. Just see it I may even buy it movies made like this are rare and it won't take 3 days to watch like the Hobbit Trilogy.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Altar (2014)
Gothic Ghost Story
23 April 2015
Nick Willing best known for his epic TV Mini-Series like Nederland and Tin Man, takes us on a different journey out on the mores. Just when you thought the days of atmospheric storytelling had given way to shaky cameras and CGI comes this chilling tale it grabs you draws you in gently with strange often inexplicable behavior from Mathew Moline. Eerie noises fill the quiet architecture and landscape. Olivia Williams delivers a strong performance as the wife and mother and its through her you find yourself saying don't open that door, don't walk in the dark, you will find some genuine scares. Reminiscent of classics like The Haunting, Ghost Story and more recently the Woman in Black. Crappy, atmospheric, chilling, well paced, directed with finesse and style, captivating yet chilling camera angles Mr. Willing has won many Emmy's for his writing and directing here he shows the ability to create engaging mature Gothic horror for adults. I gave it a 7.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Daredevil (2015– )
Dull Lackluster Poor Execution
10 April 2015
I have to admit my expectations were not high but the really fell below the bar. No chemistry with the cast,everyone trying to hard, it's painful to watch. Dialogue bad, jokes not funny,so many terrible bits of bad guy dialogue it begins to sound repetitive blah blah blah let's get him.Sadly 2 good likable actresses are wasted in this production,Rosario Dawson is cringe worthy repeating her lines,Deborah Ann Wohl of True Blood feels unnatural in her role like they forced me to hang out with this guy and laugh make funnies. Worst of all the lead is ineffectual,you feel nothing for his monotone delivered lines,poorly executed unexciting fight scenes. Netflix may have come in hot but Daredevil lands cold,no sizzle you just don't care about anyone,no atmosphere, poor sound design,awful crummy cinematography, equally bad visuals.See the Ben Affleck Extended Cut by Steve Johnson it's far superior, That's All.
32 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloodmonkey (2007 Video)
Average in every-way
24 October 2014
Matt Ryan star of the new Constantine TV series and F. Murray Abraham in a SyFy creature of the week while this has some better production values, well known TV director and an Oscar winning actor it also has a not so great script several poorly talented actors but to my surprise watched start to finish its a little slow getting started , passable entertainment for a late night or rainy day. When compared to some of the more recent films on SyFy its better than many. Shot on location in Thailand not some cheesy set or awful CGI. Average acting, so so storytelling, same goes for direction, beautiful jungle location, lacking suspense or many scares but better than watching wallpaper dry.
Pompeii (I) (2014)
Enjoyable Disaster Romance
3 May 2014
I see a lot of negative reviews that I don't understand the fast paced direction with lavish colorful sets showcasing the real star of the film Pompeii are top notch. Filled with a cast of familiar actors who deliver good even performances. Their are some clichés but show me a disaster flick that doesn't have them. What you get the movie Earthquake, a touch of Titanic, sprinkle in a little Gladiator, and stir in Special FX as grand as 2012. Mount Vesuvius us epic in its explosive proportions very exciting and entertaining from WS Anderson the man behind the Resident Evil series AVP and I have found you either like his movies or you don't he directs for lovers of action and spectacle.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 100 (2014– )
Surprisingly Entertaining and Addictive with Room to Expand
30 April 2014
My partner and I often disagree but this show we wait for every week and to dispel the "this is a tweeners show" we are in our 50's. The cast has good chemistry, the pacing is good yes their are plot holes and scripts could be tighter but it remains compelling. A mix of themes come to mind from past classics Lord of the Flies, Earth 2, political intrigue as in BSG. This is what gives the show so much potential Survivors of an apocalyptic event on earth, a colony of young adults setdown on that earth who grew up on a space station, meanwhile the shall we say adult mature leaders dealing with other life or death choices on the station, truly every choice is about survival and who we become to do so. The potential for a great show is here let's see where it goes.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Species III (2004 Video)
Better than Average
28 December 2013
What you have is a good sequel starts where part ll left off very good make up fx interesting story. The director tries to engage you make you care about the characters, here is where the actors fail. I can suspend belief for nearly any movie but Robin Dunne just isn't convincing the federal agent just recites his lines. Most of all some tighter editing to help pick up the pace of the film would have really helped. With all that said, still it earns a 6 out of 10 its not garbage or trash or Super cheesy, many good elements the director even displays some style and technique movies like this usually aren't very good but I would say watch it!
Species II (1998)
Alien vs Alien Gore Fest
28 December 2013
OK its not trash its where the first film had some sexy scenes this one is down right adult with a twist of red. Peter Medal is an accomplished director just see the Krays or David Copperfield and given what I'm certain was a tight budget an even tighter shooting schedule he makes the best of it, bringing back cast members was a good thing and to be honest the actor playing Patrick was perfect he has that all American guy good looks to match Natasha Henstridge. Putting the somewhat weak space fx aside this movie goes for the guts blood and gore shock value in a big way. They also try not to rehash to much but move on from the previous film. Yes it could use some improvement yet I still enjoyed it, get not one but two aliens ready for mating season the creature FX are good final encounter worth the wait. I got the box set for Christmas so having a marathon onto part 3.
Species (1995)
Solid Sci-Fi Action Thriller
28 December 2013
Take a few themes from other films add a decent cast of actors sprinkle some H.R.Giger then hand it over to Roger Donaldson to direct. What you get thanks to fairly good script is not as bad as some have said here. The chemistry of with the team gathered to capture Sil is spot on the movie never gets to slow delivering shocks action and some good old fashion makeup FX. The film tries to be original and in some ways it is it had been a few years since last saw it, I found myself engaged throughout, lots of sexy scenes for the beautiful Natasha Henstridge. 18 years later still worth watching I got the boxset for Christmas so having a marathon let's see how Part Two holds up.
Grimm Love (2006)
Grows on you gets under your skin and in your head
9 February 2013
I wanted to look away, I tried to walk away, and yet I found myself watching intently. The grisly story unfolds as Russells character investigates a serial killer for her thesis. The more she finds out the more she seems to want to know and the audience is brought along with her. I will not giveaway anything because it would ruin it for anyone. Having never heard of the film I mostly watched it since it was endorsed by Fangoria Magazine and admittedly after watching its obvious why. There is no bright spot in this dark, chilling tale, somewhere halfway thinking how can I continue watching I don't want to know the truth was I did want to know, maybe this frightened me more than the tale itself. Towards the end I was the so engrossed I couldn't stop and had to finish it, and like characters final reaction so was mine.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ring Two (2005)
A Moving Continuation of the first
9 February 2013
I think this movie is best viewed right after the first in this context the emotional roller-coaster, the eerie well paced story unfolds. You find a mother willing to do whatever it takes to save her child, gain a deeper understanding and yet have so many more questions. While the firs one holds genuine scares, and suspense this one takes you on a what happens the day after storyline. Mesmerizing, chilling and emotionally dramatic I love them both but only recently saw them back to back and found it most gratifying my friends and I downed a lot of popcorn, and after wards had an interesting discussion two people in our group had never seen either and were scared through out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't just don't
9 February 2013
I was bored and was looking for something to watch online so I caught the 1976 version of King Kong which wasn't bad anyway my fun service suggested this movie afterward. No no no no no don't do it I muscled through 30 minutes which was a heavy lift indeed but ultimately I had to turn off this dreck. The Asylum strikes again this studio is not known for making good movies though occasionally purely by accident they put out something respectable but not this time absolutely a waste of film, money and your time. I don't even really know where to begin from the cardboard acting to the incredibly lousy CGI. I kept thinking it might get better but after texting some friends checking my email, I had no other choice than to take a bath and find something else to watch.
King Kong (1976)
No Bimbo for Kong
7 February 2013
Time and Reflection, while this movie wasn't the mega blockbuster hit they had hoped when it came out in 1977 it by no means was a total flop. The Critics slaughtered Jessica Lange's performance, recently I watched this movie again online and found her performance genuine to the times, and even a more sophisticated, optimistic characterization that embodied an aspiring actress looking for fame. By contrast to the performance Naomi Watts gives in the total remake of the original Kong (lets note this Kong was not a total remake but an update of the original to the 1970's), Watt's plays a down trodden yet confident actress looking for a big break, while Lange plays a modern woman who wants is starved for fame and uses her sex appeal and smarts with a sense of wonder and innocence mixed in its a little Marilyn Monroe at times, watching her now it all seems appropriate. The movie itself has many great moments the writer was really trying to accomplish something did her fully realize it not always some of it may have ended up on the cutting room floor or was re-written on the fly as is often the case with any film. I do believe this to be a modern filmmaking achievement and can be considered a modern day classic despite some of its dated special FX it was State of the Art at the time of its release including the use of the World Trade Center instead of the Empire State Building. If you've never seen this movie or its been a long time since you last saw it I recommend a viewing.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10.5 (2004– )
Better Than Most TV disaster epics
15 January 2013
Now I'm not saying its 2012 I have seen worse movies on the sci-fi channel. A likable cast of B & D list actors, some moments of unintended hilarity, and decent special FX, make this a popcorn movie for the whole family. The beginning made me laugh this dude on a bike not gonna giveaway anything there you will judge for yourself. Now some reviewers have talked about the bad science the over the top this and that but I think any film like this we suspend one part of belief just to watch and enjoy none of these type films is totally plausible so putting that aside is important, like seriously as good as 2012, or Day after Tomorrow were you have to admit they were no more realistic just bigger budget. I thought this was better than Earthquake with Charleton Heston.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Treasure Island (2012 TV Movie)
Above Average Production, Acting and Locations
14 January 2013
I have never read the book and the last movie version I may have seen was over twenty years ago, honestly don't remember it much. This was mini series was very good I enjoyed it, Eddie Izzard gave an unexpected well rounded performance, many of the supporting roles are well played by this cast of mostly unknown English actors.There is a grittiness and sense of realism, unlike Pirates of the Caribbean which is played up for the Hollywood big screen epic.This moves along at a well managed pace drawing you in to the story and characters. Steve Barron is no stranger to the TV medium he is well adept at maximizing the small screen making you feel like your watching a big screen epic, best known for Merlin, Arabian Nights and the Adventures of Pinnochio he brings his distinct style to this tale and delivers Robert Louis Stevenson to a new era and generation. I think you will enjoy Treasure Island as I did.
Dark World (2008)
Pay Attention its got Twists
26 December 2012
This movie requires you pay attention its done in the film noir style to date only one film has really been successfully delivered that's Blade Runner and to a lesser degree D.O.A. dead on arrival with Dennis Quaid. This genre of film making is often hard for people to get into myself included, with that said I did enjoy this and the cast. Some reviews have commented on the cast delivering lines as if it was a first reading with no passion there are moments like that for sure but and the director goes in so many directions in the end I found it satisfying. This cast would be like a dream b-movie cast from the 90's, Theresa Russell, Michael Pare, Steven Bauer, James Russo all of which have made a few hit movies and some stinkers as well. Acting is just average with a few highlights but not many, the best part is the twist ending and not just because its finally over.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eagles Soar, Dwarfs Sing, and Peter Jackson has the one Ring
17 December 2012
I will start with the bad, many reviews have discussed this at length, in truth the beginning could have used a bit of tightening, however when the Dwarfs began to sing the folk songs of old, I grinned from ear to ear yes its in the books. Peter Jackson embraces the technological changes since he first lensed the ring Trilogy and lets be honest when he made them back in 2000-2001 they were state of the art of film technology and so to is the Unexpected Journey. He also creates links from the Hobbit to the Ring Trilogy something I really did like after all it is a prequel to the Movies and while no movie is ever as in depth as the book their are strong reasons to create these histories of the characters, in fact Tolkien did much the same writing other tales, along with various notes his son published later and Tolkien himself referred to as his Legendarium. I also think its important to remind ourselves this story was originally published in 1936, with the Ring Trilogy published 1954-55. Whats astonishing to me is how well Peter Jackson relates to these stories along with his creative writing team Fran Walsh and Phillipe Boyens, its nearly impossible to imagine any other team bringing these books to the screen. What I so loved in this first installment was the things I found missing in the original three movies and thats the animals the over-sized rabbits, the spiders, the Eagles I actually teared up seeing them it was as if someone had peered into my imagination and stolen my vision. I will close with the good, CGI was done well don't listen to the haters, Gollum is wicked, visually stunning presentation, exciting and well paced 2nd half of the movie were it not for the pacing in the first 40 minutes I might have given it a 10 but I deducted for it, the acting was good and eventually Bilbo Baggins Lives this first installment is about Courage. Go See it one tiny side note haha I played Smaug in the play many years ago in high school.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.