Reviews

A film that increased about everything...except the quality.
25 September 2017
The first Kingsman was one of the biggest surprises of 2015 with a bright and colourful mix of action, humour and profanity that would not be seen until the next year with Deadpool and led to the film equivalent of the underdog story regarding the box office.

However what the sequel has fallen pray to as many sequels do is giving a unique idea more money, bigger actors and bigger story which has overall lead to a empty yet somewhat enjoyable meal of a movie.

This movie revolves around the Kingsman having to face off against a new global threat after the destruction of their bases, which leads to them seeking assistance from their American Counter parts known as the Statesman.

Firstly the positives. Taron Edgerton is once again great at playing Eggsy, he does so well playing the charismatic young smart ass who acts on instinct as opposed to rules. And his connection with Mark Strong's character worked well. Also for the limited amount of screen time they had Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges were standouts of this movie.

Plus the idea of the Statesman was interesting and allowed for expansion of this world which excited me and Matthew Vaughn as a director is great at crafting exciting yet chaotic action scenes where you still can cohesively follow whats happening. And just like the first movie their were a lot of funny moments.

However the negatives of this movie do affected these positives.

Firstly like I said from the beginning of this movie multiple scenes looked off as they had been filmed in front of a green screen which made backgrounds look fake and at times cartoonish, where as the first film at the beginning felt gritty and real.

Some action scenes felt cartoonish and more like a superhero movie than a realistic spy film which was due to the overuse of CGI.

Also Julianne Moore felt out of place, Samuel L. Jackson still felt like he belonged in this world, she felt like she belonged in an Austin Powers movie.

This movie just felt more like a cartoon than the first and it really showed, it misused Tatum and Bridges and the villain felt out of place. But Taron Egerton and Mark Strong were fantastic, the world of the Kingsman and the Statesman is interesting and a lot of the action scenes were entertaining and fun. Overall this movie was just disappointing compared to the first movie but is enjoyable for the decent amount of the run time.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It (I) (2017)
A truly horrifying experience
8 September 2017
A truly terrifying experience. After I heard they were rebooting IT, I thought that their was no way that this could be good.

I stand corrected, this movie as fantastic, since the first trailer I've been anticipating this films release, and it lived up to the hype. Firstly Andy Muschietti's directing is fantastic as he chooses to use long tracking shots and unique camera angles to grab the attention.

The the acting, these kids are all going places after this, I truly believed that they were afraid and their chemistry was so good you believe they were friends both in front and behind the camera.

The best performances from the kids came from Finn Wolfhard as Ritchie who stole every scene he was in and provided great comedic relief in an intense film. Jaeden Lieberher as Bill was great playing the leader and I believed every moment and Sophia Lillis as Beverly was so charismatic and likable.

But the standout was Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise, his movements and the voice were so creepy and the way he just played so innocent yet ominous at the same time he was horrifying.

The characters were relatable, the story was so well done, the only down side was some CGI was noticeable but otherwise this is a great horror movie, one of the best movies of the year and has me excited for what to expect in the sequel.

Overall I give this movie an A.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable Magic Movie
5 June 2016
The sequel to the 2013 surprise hit Now You See Me. This movie brings back Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Dave Franco, Morgan Freeman and replaces Isla Fisher with Lizzy Caplan which in this movie makes sense and works well for what they are given.

This movie takes place about a year and a half after the first movie ended, the horsemen have been in hiding since then. Because of that they have become bored and want to get back into the limelight and showoff their magical abilities. However in doing so they are caught by Daniel Radcliffe's Walter and forced to commit some more magical heist but instead for the wrong reasons.

When this movie started I was worried that it would be a rehash of the first film, the horsemen use their magic to bring down a big corporation but as the movie continues the story takes a turn for the better and introduces the new characters and ideas.

When it comes to the performances Mark Ruffalo is great in whatever movie he is in, Dave Franco did the best with what he was given, Daniel Radcliffe showed some range playing a villain and Woody Harrleson is one of the funniest actors currently working.

The only negatives for this film is that it is a slight downfall from the first movie because the first was such a unique experience and seeing it a second time will never be as impressive. Jesse Eisenberg plays his same kind of character, egotistical maniac. Most of the moments that didn't revolve around the magic and illusion where a little slow and Woody Harrleson for some reason plays two characters in this movie, which at time felt very strange and a little unneeded.

Overall this is an enjoyable magic heist movie with some funny moments, good acting, a great cast and one of the best heist moments involving a playing card. Overall I recommend this, especially if you enjoyed the first one or enjoy fun movies.

To see this review in video form check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKbeDVB6mo
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny at times and very character driven
8 May 2016
The first Neighbors movie really surprised me, instead of following the 'Seth Rogen drug based comedy movie' showed me that Zac Effron had some decent acting chops if he wasn't type cast as the summer party guy. It was also hilarious and a well written and well directed story. Now has Neighbors 2 followed Zoolander 2 into the realm of mediocre sequel territory. Like always lets go with the good and the bad.

The Good - Overall the story is very well written and makes sense for these parents to be at war with this sorority and the way that Zac Effron was brought back into this film, worked for his character. The acting from Zac Effron, Rose Byrne and new to the story Chloë Grace Moretz were all well done with lots of humorous moments and an equal amount of touching heartfelt moments. The humor throughout this movie was well done, with not all jokes relying on weed and dicks, with the introduction of a sorority this gave the writers a chance to not only make jokes about periods which is at the equivalent to a dick joke, but it gave them a chance to do topical humor and allow for them to make fun of the technology obsessed society. This movie even talks about how women are over sexualised and makes fun of the people who do that.

The Bad - Seth Rogen at times reverts back to his old "I'm a fat guy who smokes weed and does a lot of physical humor" state at times and some of the jokes fall flat. Characters that people may have loved from the first film could have been changed simple cameos. And yes their are a lot of jokes that revolve around dicks and weed.

Overall if you like Seth Rogen comedies or you liked the first Neighbors movie than you should give this movie a chance but if you aren't particularly a fan of Seth Rogen comedies, just go see Civil War again.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best of Marvel
3 May 2016
The Marvel Cinematic Universe has had some ups and downs. With the last two movies being okay not great how are they going to bring their fans back to their side. Well you make a movie with the directors of the best MCU movie and that revolves around one of the best comic stories written. That is how you get fans back on your side. Now like all of my reviews time to go into both the good and the bad.

The Good: The movie first and for most is a Captain America movie. Yes the Civil War aspect is a big part but this is a story about the friendship between Bucky and Cap and how this being put to the test. The introduction of new characters was well done and not forced. The acting was incredible from everyone. Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther was an incredibly bad ass character with impeccable fighting skills, truly incredible stunts. He was a very stoic and a very Jason Bourne character who will stop at nothing to get to his main target. Tom Holland was the best on screen Spider-man that is all I will say. The airport fight scene is one of the greatest action scenes put to screen. The choreography was stellar and the action was all in frame.With each characters ability counter-acting another characters abilities and showing just how destructive these heroes can be. Characters like Hawkeye, Scarlett Witch and Black Widow were all given something to do this film instead of just sit in the background fighting a mini army. The interactions between character was very well done with Peter Parker and Tony Stark, Scarlett Witch and Vision all interacting as if they had known each for years.

The Bad: The villain Zemo was a little underdeveloped and didn't do much for the story.

Overall Captain America Civil War was in my opinion the best Marvel film and the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight. If you are a fan of action movies, superhero movies, blockbuster movies or good movies in general I highly recommend this movie and I cannot wait to see what the Russo Brothers do with Avengers Infinity War.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minions (2015)
Lighthearted and a little Simple
20 June 2015
I was excited about this movie because the Minions where my favourite part of the Despicable Me movies and giving those guys their own movies seems like a no brainer. Sadly when you make a movie about character that talk gibberish and are addicted to bananas it will be a little to kiddy.

First off this movie had some positives such as, the beginning of the filmed started with a flash through time of how the Minions have had different evil leaders and that was hilarious, sadly that was the funniest part of the movie. The Minions themselves had some funny moments which worked and helped this film. Also some of the human characters had some great line and some great physical comedy but otherwise a generic kids flick.

Some of the negatives are that throughout this film the Minion Bob is their to act like a 6 year old being dragged on this adventure with some of the most kid friendly humor since Matter from Cars 2. Also the villain Scarlet Overkill was really really generic, seriously with a character called Scarlet Overkill you could have had a really James Bond kind of villain where the name Overkill could have given her one of the most over the top plans of all time, but no generic steals this for me plot.

Overall this movie had potential to be hilarious but sadly with to much reliance on kid humor and the fact that Minions would work better for animated shorts on DVDs and enjoyable movie if you can turn your brain off.
35 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am currently loving the Winter Movie season of 2015
19 May 2015
Yes Winter Movie season here in Australia but still what a way to start off with Avengers Age of Ultron that was Awesome, Pitch Perfect was alright and now Mad Max Fury Road which is awesome. So first off this movie is kind of like a mix of a reboot/sequel to Road Warrior and it is my favourite of the Mad Max movies.

First off the actors they have chosen for this movie are awesome Tom Hardy did a great job as Max he was just as good as Mel Gibson, Charlize Theron as Furiosa she was the strongest part of the whole movie because she made you feel for her and she was just badass.Also Nicholas Hoult's character seemed like a villain in the trailers but he was also a very unique and interesting character.

Also the part of the movie is the fact that all of the stunts preformed in the movie were all practical and that made it look better then any CGI that any director could have done.

Also the villain Immortan Joe was awesome he was intimidating and villains that are viewed as gods are my favourite types because it is basically an underdog story from that point on.

So overall if you haven't guessed it you should go see this movie because it badass and one of the best Action movies that isn't a superhero movie in the past couple of years.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Marvel home run
23 April 2015
This movie is my most anticipated film of 2015 and it lived up to the hype. It is one of the best action films that has been released in the last 5 years and one of the best comedies in the last 3 years.

This movie is like Marvels Empire Strikes Back because it is a lot darker then the original movie with the Avenger not being torn apart on the outside by Ultron but being torn apart from the inside with fighting between the group.

This movie took some risks with adding in characters like Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch and Vision and they all fit in perfectly, I would even say that Aaron Taylor Johnson's Quicksilver was as good as Even Peters. They also had a good explanation of how Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch actually happened.

Now probably the strongest part of the movie Ultron he was an even better villain then Loki was in the original because not only does he have the ability to test the Avengers but he is also delivering some of the best one liners in the whole film. He also had some great philosophical views and you understood why he was doing what he was doing. Also James Spaders voice worked perfectly for this villain.

So if you haven't guessed by now I loved this film and I think that you should go see it know.
42 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kick Ass of Spy Movies
7 February 2015
Now I hadn't cared to much about this movie because their was no hype for it but then when I had seen the first trailer this looked like a great film. This is basically if Kick Ass and James Bond went splat because their is a lot of elements of those two movies in this one.

For off lets start with the bad, well their isn't much except for in the beginning their British Accents are really thick so it is kind of hard to understand them, kind of like Bane in the Dark Knight Rises but otherwise it is a great movie.

Now with the good parts first off the most important part of this movie, the humour and I have to say this is a really funny movie their were more then a few times when this movie had me laughing out loud.

Also the characters are just great like the main character Eggsy played by Taron Edgerton is such a good character he is funny, smart and just well bad ass. Also it was so weird to see Samuel L. Jackson playing a villain but I have to say in this movie it really worked their were some scenes where was the funniest character. And yes Colin Firth's character was just bad ass in all kinds of ways.

So overall Kingsman the Secret Service is a great movie and if you liked Kick Ass chances are you will like this movie so go see it.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost as good as Catching Fire
21 November 2014
Now this was the Hunger Games because it wasn't the only book and movie without actual games. But this will be a review that talks about the good and the bad now let's get started.

First of all the bad things in the movie is that if your favourite character is someone who isn't Katniss then you will be sadly disappointed, also like Harry Potter their is a lot of build up and not to many action scenes.

Now for the good parts this movie, the characters are so fleshed out mainly Katniss but the other character had some good scenes also. Another reason why this movie is good is because most of the scenes that are intense will keep you on the edge of your seat and it was awesome.

Now if you enjoyed the first two Hunger Games movies or a fan of the books then you should go watch this movie because it is really good.
11 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This years Elysuim
21 October 2014
Now I know that I may be a little late with this review but I missed this one in cinemas and I was bummed out because this one looked really good and I was right.

To start off this movies proves that Tom Cruise still has some action movies left in him because he is starting to become an older action hero, but this movie has turned the tables (now just give me Mission Impossible 5). Another thing that this movie did well was the ability to restart the day because that is what movie focused on and it nailed it.

Another positive that this movie did was the relationship between Tom Cruise's character and Emily Blunt's character, because it was cool to see how his feeling were growing for her character but she had just met this guy each time so of course she wouldn't remember him.

Their some bits that could have improved like maybe getting to know a few more characters because I couldn't remember the rest of the characters beside Tom Cruise's and Emily Blunt's characters.

But overall Edge of Tomorrow is a great Sci-Fi movie and this years Elysium so I say go out their and buy it on Blu-ray now.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Book was better
17 September 2014
Now this is a movie that I was hoping as really good like Harry Potter 8 good but know it as good as the first Hunger Games movie and that is being generous. Now this review will be me venting about what I liked and didn't like so lets start this.

First of all lets start off with the positive for a first I have to say my favourite character was Gally who was portrayed really well by Will Poulter and it was perfect casting and I also have to say the Grievers were really creepy and that was what they needed to be.

Now the fun part the bad parts, I am a huge fan of the books and I was hoping that this movie was awesome but it was like the director, writer and actors didn't even know that this was based on a book because they completely butcher the lore.

First of all the most exciting part of the book I when the doors don't close for the night and the Grievers attack, but they got it wrong it s supposed to be that the Grievers took one kid a night and that's that, but nooooo they had to make so that the Grievers went on a killing spree and also Alby wasn't supposed to die at that moment he was supposed to sacrifice him self to the Grievers at the end but nope he was picked up and dragged away so goodbye wish you had died correctly.

Another problem was that my favourite character in the book Minho was played wrong, in the book he was supposed to be a smart mouth that didn't know how to shut up but nope the actor played him wrong because he was probably the quietest character in the whole movie what the f@&k is that and also no they do leave on a helicopter they leave on bus was that so hard to do seriously? Well good to get this review and rant out of me so I say if you haven't read the book go see it but if you have don't unless you want to question what they were thinking for the whole directing process.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better then what I was thinking
7 September 2014
Well the new Ninja Turtles movie has finally been released in Australia and I have got to say that it was am alright movie, not the best movie ever and by no far the best Ninja Turtles movie ever but it was an alright time but their were it's problems so lets get started.

First of all I hated Will Arnett character because he was a complete idiot and annoying character almost as annoying as Stanley Tucci's character in Transformers 4. Another problem was that I didn't care about Shredder I mean he was able to throw the turtle's around like rag dolls but still he had no character development what so ever also at the end when he was throw off the top of the building I couldn't care less.

Their were some good points to the movie like by far the Ninja Turtles were the best characters, and the two best turtles in the movie were Michelangelo and Raphael, because the knew what type of the characteristics the turtles had and that was great. Also Megan Fox was a better April O Neil then I thought so that was good.

So overran go see this movie if you like the Ninja Turtles and if you have a kid take them their they will love this so can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did anyone else need Subtitles?
2 September 2014
The Expendables the perfect to watch with a couple of your mates after a long night of drinking gawking at the pretty colours of a Nintendo game because seriously this movie starts off within the first 5 minutes a guys gets his top half blown off of his legs.

The other problem that I had with the movie (make one of the other problems) is that I didn't understand a word these guys were saying until I turned on the subtitles and even that was a stretch because I thought it was going to have (mumbling) at the bottom of the screen when Sylvester Stallone started talking.

Also who the hell where the people actors in this movie I could understand who Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis were but that was it I mean if you are going to have a movie that has amazing action heroes include references or actors like Wesley Snipes, Harrison Ford or Chuck Norris that show up the whole movie not for 10 minutes and not wait till the third film for some of them.

But I still say if you like a movie where you can poke fun at it for being terrible then this is it my friends. My friends joked around and said that they couldn't have the CSI theme because they wasted all their budget on two minutes of Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the same scene.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loki Steals the show
27 August 2014
Well phase two has officially taken a stand with two of it's biggest hitters Thor and Ironman getting new movies but we are here to talk about Thor new movie, where just like the first one will keep you distracted for 2 hours of enjoyable Marvel time. Now in these reviews I talk about the best and the worst of the movie so here we go.

The Worst Now for what I have to say who the hell was Malekith, to be truthful I haven't read the comics or studied the villain a whole lot but still why focus on another villain who shows up for one movie then disappears for good. Also I am getting sick and tired of them teasing the Avengers and none of them showing up ever.

The Best Loki is still as awesome in this movie as he was in the first Thor and the Avengers and the end of this movie when he is impersonating Odin is so epic. I also have to say it was awesome to see Thor with his powers for the whole movie and that the comedy was their and it was hilarious, my funniest scene was when the were walking down the hallway and Loki was impersonating different characters.

So overall the movie is a good time and a great Thor film overall I say if you see it on sale it is worth the money.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well old mistakes new director
18 August 2014
Amazing Spiderman 2 Rise of Electro, or how I though it should have been named "Amazing Spiderman 2 the troubles of Peter Parker's and Gwen Stacy's relationship" or just "The Notebook in the Spiderman Universe". But that doesn't have the same ring as "Rise of Electro"

Because if you have a movie with a villains name in the title, you might want to have him in the movie for more then half an hour because seriously that's how long hew was in the movie. Then throw Green Goblin into the last ten minutes for a fight you can see in the trailers and just so he can kill Gwen Stacy. Also have Rhino show up in every trailer just so he can be the very last scene of the movie. Also their is a bit in the movie where Peter finds his dads old workshop he finds out something that we all found out in the first half hour of the first movie OSCORP BAD.

Although their is as many good bits to this movie as their are bad. First of all this is what Spiderman had to be, a smart mouth, cocky little bastard who gets all of his villains to hate him because of his jokes. Also it was hilarious to see Peter Parker trying to design his web shooters to fight against Electro.

Also even though he didn't show up for as long as I would have hoped he would be their, but he wasn't just evil for the sake of it he had his reasons and it was cool to see him in time square scared out of his mind.

So I have to say if you like Spiderman you will like Amazing Spiderman 2 but if you are looking for a movie full of awesome actions scenes and a runtime that is faster then a obsess turtle on a treadmill trying to get to the other side on the fastest speed give this a skip but personally I hope that Sony will someday just give it up and give Spidey back to Disney.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel's biggest gamble
3 August 2014
Now this was a huge gamble for Marvel I can guarantee that if you walked up to 20 random people on the sidewalk and asked them to name a guardian of the galaxy they wouldn't know what to say but after this no one will forget who they are. This was a the first Marvel movie that focus's on the more interstellar side of the Marvel universe. The most difficult thing that this movie had to do is fit five characters back stories into one two hour movie and they did a great job, their is a lot of humour in this film and he characters are all so colourful and honestly Rocket Raccoon was my favourite by far.

But the real scene stealer was the scene that included the man with the soon to be complete infinity gauntlet Thanos he was terrifying and looked like a bad ass. But thing that kept this from being a ten was Ronan the Accuser because I knew that Thanos was in this universe I didn't care bout this guy but hey still a great movie. Go see it in a cinema near you.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers (2012)
Avengers Review
10 February 2014
Marvel's the Avengers is six years in the making all starting with one of the first end credit scenes at the end of Ironman and continued on to The Incredible Hulk, Ironman 2, Thor and Captain America the first Avenger. Now the world is under attack by Loki and an army of powerful aliens both fixed on world destruction. Shield look to gathering the most powerful team of superheroes from paramount pictures. Which brings us Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye.

The Avengers is a awesome superhero movie and Joss brought the movie to life so I believe that f you are a fan of Marvel movies or a fan of Superhero movies in general you will love this movie
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.