Reviews

An Good Self Aware Film
13 August 2019
This film is a spin-off of the Fast and Furious franchise with a couple of the primary characters, I enjoy the franchise but I have never been a huge fan and this is another enjoyable but not remarkable action film. The premise of the film sees Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw having to team up to save Shaw's sister and stop an organisation from destroying the planet's population. Dwayne Johnson has played Luke Hobbs since Fast and Furious 5 and he does a good job in the role, he has so much charisma in the role and you can't take your eyes off of him in this case. However, I felt like in this particular film he plays it as the persona as 'The Rock', it doesn't really feel like a the character of Hobbs but the persona of The Rock on screen. Jason Statham has played Deckard Shaw since the post-credit scene of Fast and Furious 6 and I really think he fits well in this franchise. He has a lot of personality and the two leads chemistry really works well in this film. Vanessa Kirby plays Shaw's sister in the film and she does a good job in the film, she is a worthy ally to the leads and I liked her character in the film. Idris Elba plays the villain in the film and he does a great job in knowing what film he is in, he understands he is in a silly film and does a great job in being a fun, over the top villain. The rest of the supporting cast are decent in their roles, especially Cliff Curtis who does the best he can with limited screen time. The story is absurd, it is over the top ridiculous but with some actual dramatic storytelling at certain points in the film. However, this film's story goes on for an act too long, also there are a few too many different plot arcs in the film that aren't particularly interesting, also the film ends pretty abruptly which doesn't help. The script has some okay drama in it and some decent humour in it, I just felt like this film went over the top with the humour and it pretty much felt like a comedy which i didn't particularly like. The style has some physics defying action in it, but it is very entertaining and fun to watch. However, as mentioned earlier the pacing of the film was a bit all over the place and I feel like the film hit its peak too early and never really fully recovered. Overall this is a good action film that is worth a watch whether you like this franchise or not.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Flash (2014– )
A good fifth season that brings the drama
12 August 2019
I have been a huge fan of this show since it started but I have to admit the last couple of the seasons have showed that this how has dipped in quality and this the same this season, it was good but not particularly memorable. The premise of the season sees Barry & Iris's daughter from the future Nora return to present day to help Team Flash stop a serial killer called Cicada. Grant Gustin has become famous for his role as Barry Allen/The Flash and he does a really good job this season. I always feel like he strikes a good balance between drama, humor and action and it makes him a very complete character, He is still a likeable character but he also has depth to him which I feel like some of the DC heroes lack. The supporting cast is a mixed bag, Candice Patton is good as Iris West Allen, she has had a mixed bag over time on the show but I thought her character did a good job and fit her role well. A lot of the drama of the show dealt with her relationship with Nora and mostly it was good stuff. Also Cisco and Caitlin are some of the best supporting characaters in any show. However, there were some weak perfromances this scene, the character of Nora was a mixed bag, I cared about her sometimes, but she was so overused this season and at times really felt like she was the main character and became really overbearing. Tom Cavanagh plays another version of Harrisson Wells and for me this was just one too many, I enjoyed playing the difeerent versions of the character at the beginning but now it has become too much and I didn't really care about him this season. Then we get to the villain Cicada who was easilly the weakest villain so far on the show in my opinion, he was just so boring and dull, his motivation could have been played better by a better actor. The story was interesting, dealing with more time travel then the previous season and I liked the way the show jumped between the present and future and how they affected each other. However, this show suffers from having too many characters on it so it tries to do so much with them but ends up cutting some of the characters short. The script is okay, with some really good drama this season, though I felt this season definitley stepped back from the humour to allow for this serious tone which worked to a certain extent but did take something from the show. The one thing I have always thought is that this show looks great and I stick with that this season, the fight scenes are unique and different every week and the effects hold up to aid in the experience. Overall this is a good season of this show and if you are a fna of the show is still just about a worthy addition to the collection.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good crazy action film
4 August 2019
Following watching Fast 5, I have now just seen Fast 6 and I enjoyed this one about the same amount as Fast 5 & Fast 7 meaning these are a solid set of films. The premise of the film sees agent Hobbs recruit Dominic Torretto and his crew in order to take down a rival gang, who has a former family member amongst there ranks. Vin Diesel is back as Torretto and he does a better job in this film, his character has a more emotional stake in the story this time and even though he isn't the best actor I thought he did a good job with the material given. Dwayne Johnson really does add something to these films, I liked his chemistry with the crew and thought pretty much everybody bounced off of each other well. Luke Evans plays the villain in this film and I thought he did a good job, it was nice to see a villain that squared up to the heroes and provided a challenge both physically and mentally. However, I feel like in these films that Paul Walker is just really bland and really doesn't add to much to the film, I know the tragic circumstances around his life but that doesn't change my opinion that he is a pretty boring character in this film. The story in the film has a more dramatic feel to it the the last film, it feels like there are personal stakes in this film and that makes it more interesting. However, the film never does a particularly good job to get across the villains motivations, it just feels like we gotta stop him because he is the bad guy in the film but there isn't a particularly interesting reason for these two crews to be feuding. The script is fun with a well balanced use of humour and drama which helped improve this film. The style is as ludicrous as you would expect, there are some entertaining and high octane action scenes that are fun to watch. Though I felt the setting for the climax of the film was really dark and it was quite hard to see exactly what was really going on, what you can see is entertaining but you can't see enough. Overall this is an enjoyable film that is another fun addittion to this franchise.
Fast Five (2011)
A Good Fun Heist Film
27 July 2019
With Hobbs & Shaw coming up, I thought I would go back and watch the first Fast and Furious film where Luke Hobbs is a main character Fast Five and out of all the Fast and Furious films I have watched so far this is slightly my favourite. The premise of the film sees the gang led by Dominic Torretto have to complete a huge heist while being hunted by special agent Luke Hobbs. Vin Diesel has become known for this franchise and he is entertaining to watch in the role of Dom but I don't think anybody has ever said Vin Diesel is a great actor and he is very one dimensional in this film which to be honest I expected. The late Paul Walker is in this film and he is similar to Diesel, he fits the role he needs to fit well but his character doesn't really stand out at all and there is very little to grasp onto in term of interest. As mentioned this was the first time Dwayne Johnson played the character of Luke Hobbs and he is great here, he is the one character with real development in the film and you really see his character go through plenty in this film. The rest of the crew are fun to be with, Tyrese Gibson and Ludacris have great chemistry and really bring some fun to the film and it is nice to see a pre Wonder Woman Gal Gadot do a decent job in the film. The story is fun and never really stops moving, I really enjoy the heist idea and feel it really helped keep this film fun and interesting with some good twists and turns. However, because of this frantic pacing there isn't much time for the important dramatic moments in the film which means I wasn't as invested in the action scenes as I didn't care enough about the characters. The script was good, the drama works in the film when it is used and the humour provides the necessary laughs without making this film a comedy. The style of these films are usually impressive, this film has great action scenes but they aren't insane in this one which in my opinion makes it more entertaining to watch as it is slightly plausible. Overall this is a highly entertaining action film that if you are a fan of this franchise is a worthy addition.
The Lion King (2019)
A Fantastic recreation of an amazing original film
24 July 2019
We are in the age of remakes of animated classics and it is the turn of The Lion King and I thought this was a fantastic representation of a classic film, it is not a replacement for the original film but a brilliant film to go alongside it. The premise of the film sees new heir to the throne of the Animal Kingdom Simba have to grow up and overcome the troubles of his nefarious uncle Scar. We see two versions of Simba and both are great, the child version of Simba really does a great job at being innocent and delivering a heartfelt performance. Donald Glover playing the adult version also really worked and he nailed the character and really provided a great voice acting performance. In my opinion a real highlight of this film is the performance of Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, he has such a presence about the role in this film. Scar is a great character and Ejiofor really bought all the complexity of the character out and made him a very memorable villain. Another big highlight of the film is the fantastic chemistry between Billy Eichner & Seth Rogen as Timon & Pumbaa, they are so funny in the film and provide a great counter in this film from some of the draker moments in the film. Alfre Woodard, Beyonce, John Oliver & James Earl Jones all do great jobs and emphasise why this is one of the best casts assembled for any movie. The story is goof, delivering the mix of drama and humour that would be expected in this film, however, like the majority of these Disney rermakes the film is quite formulaic and it is noticeable in this film that it is very similar to the original film. The script is great, this film for me does a really good job, it does a great job of blending a fun film with great dramatic moments in it. The style is amazing in this film, visually it looks stunning with some of the best CGI that you are gonna see in any film around, plus the use of colour is really important in this film and the story of the film. All the songs are back from the original and they are sung excellently by the cast. Overall I am a fan of thise remakes from Disney and The Lion King is a fantastic family film that should be seen by all members of the family.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Spider-Man Film
4 July 2019
After Avengers Endgame, I had a lot of anticipation for this film as the newest Spider-Man film and I really enjoyed this film, even though it was a little bit weaker then Spider-Man Homecoming. The premise sees Peter Parker going on a school trip with his class when he is dragged into a world saving adventure by Nick Fury. Tom Holland for me is the best Spider-Man put onto screen, he feels like the most natural fit for the role ever seen. He does an even better job with the emotional scenes in this film and he is so charming and charismatic to fill this role. The supporting cast also does a great job, i'm gonna start with possibly one of my favourite performances in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Jake Gyllenhall as Quentin Beck/Mysterio. I grew up watching this character on the animated series and to see Gyllenhall give his all for the role and deliver a truly complex character, I also loved his and Holland's chemistry in the film. Samule L Jackson continues his role as Nick Fury and he is great in the film, his character has evolved very nicely over the films and he fit this film very well and adds a fun extra dynamic. Zendaya is back as MJ in this film and we spend more time with her character in this film and I really liked her performance and her and Holland have really good chemistry in the film. The story is a bit of a mixed bag, I love everything to do with the dynamic between Spider-Man, Fury & Mysterio and it delves into deep emotional moments that really works. However, I felt that this film spends a bit toomuch time trying to give every character something to do in the film and I didn't care about some of it. Also I felt like the final act of the film wasn't as interesting as some of the sequences that happen earlier in the film. The script has better dramatic dialogue in this film then previous films and really helps Spider-Man's character, the humour mostly hits as well, some of the lesser characters don't have funn dialogue but overall I thought this film was pretty funny. The style of the film has some really good sequences and really fun action scenes that will keep you entertained throughout the film. But I felt like the pacing of the film wasn't particularly great, the film feels longer then it actually is, focusing on so many story arcs did hurt the film a bit and made it a bit less focus. Overall this was a great sequel and continues the momentum of the Spider-Man character, also there are two post credits scenes and they are brilliant and definitley worth staying for.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Below Average weak sequel
3 July 2019
I am a huge fan of the first Men In Black film so had a bit of anticipation for this film but overall it was really disappointing. The premise of the film sees a new agent of the Men In Black have to team up with a veteran agent to uncover a plot to destroy the planet. Tessa Thompson & Chris Hemsworth play the two main agents in this film and to be honest they have pretty good chemistry in the film which you would expect due to the films that they have worked together in recently. There characters though are pretty bland and cliche and though their performances are decent there characters just weren't anything unique and quite generic. The supporing cast are a mixed bag, Liam Neeson plays the head of London's MIB and he is what you would expect, he is good in his role and is just very Liam Neeson like. But Rebecca Ferguson has a smaller role in the film and she is absolutley wasted in this role and her talents are not used as effectively as it could be. Emma Thompson is used a lot in the promotion for this film but is barely in this film and again is a porr show, the character of Pawney just annoyed me and didn't really provide great comedic value I thought. The story to me was just so bland and it just doesn't really work, there is nothing interesting involved and this film isn't as clever as it thinks it is. You will see the twists coming from a mile away and it was the only thing this film could have executed well and they failed. The script has some decent banter in it between the two leads due to their good chemistry, but the drama just doesn't work. The style of the film has some fun action scenes that will keep you entertained in typical Men In Black fashion, but the apcing of this film is just all over the place. There are certain things that are bought up and then completely ignored for the rest of the film and this film just drags and does feel longer then it actually is. Overall this is a pretty bland film that possibly kills this franchise which is a bit of a shame.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chernobyl (2019)
A fantastic Authentic Dramatic Series
26 June 2019
I have heard absolutley rave reviews about this show and I have now watched all 5 of the episodes of Chernobyl and I thought this was a fantastic dramatic series that hits an emotional level more then any others. The premise of the show documents the Chernobyl disaster and follows the people who are tasked with trying to control this issue. Jared Harris plays the lead in this show and he does a great job, he is a truly emotionally driven character and he is the rational character of the show. You care about him and his plight as he tries to rationalize this disaster and he does an excellent job. Stellan Skarsgard plays the russian general in this show and he also does an excellent job in the show, he is a very powerful character and has a really good arc throughout the show. Paul Ritter in this show is amazing, he is one of the most despicable characters seen in recent memory and he totally owns this role and is hard to keep your eyes off. The rest of the cast also does a great job, every person delivers high quality acting and it just adds quality to everything to do with this show. The story is so emotional and powerful, you see different aspects of this disaster and it builds and builds to this amazing conclusion. The script is extremely serious and gives the appropriate feel to this show and gives the upmost respect to this real life disaster. The style of this show visually is amazing showing these tense scenarios and really building a great tone. However, I actually feel like this shows pacing is a bit off and especially around episode 3/4 the series slowed down quite a bit but this is literally my only negative for the show. Overall this is a fantastic show that should be a template if people want to do shows based on real life events.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black Lightning (2018– )
A below average disappointing second season
22 June 2019
I enjoyed the first season of Black Lightning even though it was nothing special but I have now finally got through the second season of the show and this season was a huge step down and was pretty boring to watch. The premise of the season sees Black Lightning continues his pursuit of Tobias Whale while balancing his family life. Cress Williams plays Jeffereson Pierce/Black Lightning and he does an okay job, there isn't anything outstanding about him, his character just isn't particularly interesting. But he does provide some good drama especially early on in the season where he seems to be putting a bit more effort into his performances. The supporting cast was pretty average to poor for one exception James Remar as Gambi is great, he is basically a younger Alfred to Black Lightning's Batman and he is just so cool and seems to be having fun with the role. The rest of the cast are just so meh though China Anne McClain plays Jennifer Pierce and she is such an annoying character, she is easliy the most selfish character on the show and she just comes across as unlikeable which hurts the show as she is front and centre in this season. Nafessa Williams plays Anissa and she is less unlikeable then Jennifer but she is just boring to watch this season, her character doesn't really do anything this season and the thing she does do isn't really important for the season narrative. Christine Adams plays Lynn and she just has some cringe worthy scenes this season and I didn't really care for her character arc in the whole season. Marvin 'Krondon' Jones plays the villain Tobias Whale and he is such a dull villain, he has nothing interesting about him and to me just wasn't a good enough threat to go up against in both the first season and this season of the show. The story of the season is just full of nothing, the story arcs just aren't particularly interesting and didn't benefit any of the characters. There are some story arcs that are just dropped and forgotten about and that don't get even close to being completed by the time the season ends. The script has some decent drama in it that looks at social issues but it just fizzles out as the season progresses also the humour is just awkward and not funny. The style has some cool visual action scenes in it but the choreography of the action scenes are much weaker then other shows like Arrow. Also I felt like some stylistic choices took away from the tension involved with the show. Overall this is a weak show and isn't worth watching and I probably won't be watching in the future.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good action packed sequel
18 June 2019
I enjoyed the Godzilla film that came out in 2014 so I had some excitement for this sequel and this film was also a good film but like the first one there are some drawbacks that hold it back from being a legendary film for this character. The premise of the film sees a new titan rise up to challenge Godzilla for the role of King Of The Monsters. For fans that were disappointed with the lack of Godzilla in the first film then he is in this more and he is absolutley awesome, it is such a spectacle to watch him throw down and in action. Kyle Chandler plays the human lead in the film and I will say he is an improvement on Aaron Taylor-Johnson from the first film, he is nothing remarkable but he is an easy character to root for in the film. Millie Bob Brown plays an important role in this film and she does a really good job, for a child actor she has a lot of charisma and decent acting qualities in this role. Ken Watanabe is back from the previous film and he is a great part of this cast and adds some real legitamcy to the role and to the overall film. However, Vera Farmiga plays a role in the film and she does an okay job but her character is written very confusingly, her motivations are very murky and make her a hard character to care about. I was excited when I saw Charles Dance was in this film but he was so wasted and not used enough for me to care about him being in this film. The story is once again slightly better then the original and tries to make the audience care about the main characters and their plight. Though as mentioned before, some characters motivations are murky at best and the story is incredibly basic and doesn't add anything really new to the table. Also this film ends really abruptly and isn't the most satisfying resolution. The script has some alright dramatic moments and dialogue in it that does work in the film, but it has some weird humour in it that kind of clashes with the overall quality of the film. The style of the film is amazing, seeing the titans clash is fantastic to see and easily the best part of this film. Seeing the monsters fight on the big screen is definitley worth it. Overall this is a good Godzilla Film so if you are a fan of monster films you should give this one a chance.
Men in Black (1997)
A Fantastic fun film
15 June 2019
In preparation for the new Men In Black film, my intention is to go back and watch the first three films in the franchise. So i have now watched the orignial Men In Black Film and it is just a fun fanatstic easy film to watch. The premise of the film sees an experienced and novice special agent go on the hunt to stop an alien threat. Tommy Lee Jones plays Agent K in this film, this is one of the best roles that he has had in my opinion, he has such a dry sense of humour in this film that it really contrasts very well with Will Smith's sense of humour in the film. I can't see anybody else playing the mentor role in this film other thn Tommy Lee Jones' agent K in this film. Will Smith plays his partner Agent J and their chemistry is brilliant in this film, it really takes this good premise and makes it a fantatsic premise. When this film was made Smith was huge and he plays his usual self in this film but it really works as a juxtaposition to Jones character. I also really liked Rip Torn as the head of the MIB, he just has quite a bit of charisma for the role and it is enjoyable to see. Vincent Donofrio plays the villain in this film but I didn't like his character, he is a great actor but this role didn't work for me and actually felt quite childish in this film. I also didn't care for the female character in the film, she hasn't got much to do in the film and you don't really find out much about her. The story is great seeing this unlikely duo together in this fun universe dealing with an alien threat. The story moves at a very quick pace and it really works and makes this film such a fun enjoyable film. The script is great with a blend of humour and suprisingly good drama that rises this above your average buddy cop film. The style has some great unique ideas in it, the alien designs and tech are inspired and feel very natural in this universe. Overall this is a fantastic film that is the pinnacle of buddy cop films.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Phoenix (2019)
An Average final stand for The X-Men
7 June 2019
I have been a huge fan of the X-Men films since the first one back in 2000, but with the news breaking that Disney have acquired the rights to the characters this was always going to be the end for these group of actors as the X-Men. After the Dark Phoenix was adapted in X-3 poorly, I was excited to see how this film would do it and it is better then X-3 but only just. The premise of the film sees after a mission in space Jean Grey is infused with a mysterious force which increases her powers, this leads her to become a threat to her enemies and her friends. Fresh off Game Of Thrones Sophie Turner reprises her role as Jean Greyin this film and I thought she did a good job. I liked her performance and how it changed over the course of the film with her giving Jean quite a bit of emotion. However, I thought her character was written pretty poorly and inconsistently, she wasn't given a lot to work with but she tries to get the most out of the character. James Mcavoy is back as Professor X and he is fantastic in this film, I really enjoyed his character as he has some depth to him in the film, he isn't a boring hero he has some real complexity to him in the film. Michael Fassbender is back as Magneto and I really love this guy in this role, he does a good job in this film even though he isn't given as much time to shine in this film. But some of the other cast members don't thrive as much, Jessica Chastain plays a villain in this film and she is just utterly terrible, she is so bland and boring and I wish they had just left her out of the film as I feel it wouldn't have made the film too much different. Also if you like Storm, Cyclops & Quicksilver in the previous films then you will be dissappointed as they are either less then supporting characters or just written poorly. Then we get to Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique she isn't as prominent as she has been in previous films but she gives a very wooden perfromance that emphasises my thought that she doesn't care about this role anymore. The story is interesting in the way it takes Xavier's character and how it stays a bit more faithful to the Dark Phoenix comci book story then X-3 did. But the final act is poorly written with Chastain's character being pushed forward in a really poor way. The script has some okay dramatic dialogue in it that aids in improving this movie, but the humour is completely gone, I know this is a darker film but the little bits of humour from the other films in this franchise are gone. The style has some decent action scenes and they are probably the best part of this film, however, I have to mention the lack of costumes in this film. After Apocalypse I was expecting some cool costumes in this film but they are nowhere to be seen and it makes this film feel as bland as previous films. Overall this in my opinion is the weakest of the newere wave of X-Men movies and is only an average film that isn't worth a watch unless you are a huge X-Men fan like me.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A below average season of this show
5 June 2019
I have been a supporter of this show and have a watched every episode with the first three seasons ranging in quality from great to above average. but this season has been the worst in my opinion and I am close to stop watching this show. The premise of the season sees the Legends team up with John Constantine to send magical creatures back to hell. Caity Lotz as Sara Lance has taken over as the lead of the show over the last few seasons and I have enjoyed watching this character develop from her debut on Arrow to becoming the captain of the Waverider until now. She tries her best but I hated the portrayal of her character this season, she is written to be overly cheesly and they seemed to forget her tough side to her character. She was written better on the one episode she was in Arrow this season then this whole season of Legends Of Tomorrow. The supporting cast is a bit of a mixed bag, first of all is Matt Ryan as John Constantine, he really tries to save this show, he is so charismatic and charming and really adds a different vibe to the show which was needed. Dominic Purcell as Mick Rory has been a stalwart from the first season and he is still a highlight of the show, but I was dissappointed by how little attention that his character got this season. Nick Zano as Nate does a decent job this season providing probably the best dramatic scenes in the season alongside his father who is played by the fantastic Thomas F Wilson. However, characters like Zari & Ray felt weaker this season and the new character of Charlie was just annoying and felt unnessecary. The villain also was incredibly bland and added nothing to the story. The story had a few decent things such as Nate and his father's relationship & how Monsters were treated which worked quite well this season. But the overall plot was weak and was hurt by the overall problem with the season which was the cheesiness of the whole thing. The script was okay, the drama that was actually used ws done effectively, but I am sorry the humour just went to far this season, I used to enjoy the balance but it is just not there this season. The style of the show has some fun action scenes but I now have to talk about the biggest negative of the season. This has to be easily the cheesy nature of the show, the show is now a straight up comedy and it doesn't do it particularly well at all, I could go on for ages about instances were jokes were used to ruin effective moments in this season. Overall this was easily the weakest season of this show yet and I think unless they start to balance the humour and the drama again this show will have a shortened life span.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Arrow (2012– )
A Good Seventh Season
30 May 2019
I have watched every season of Arrow and I have just finished season 7 which I thought was a good season of the show even though it is probably the weakest season of the series. The premise of the season sees Oliver Queen outed as The Green Arrow and sent to prison for his crimes. While he attempts to survive in prison the rest of Team Arrow attempt to keep Star City safe. Stephen Amell has become known for playing Oliver Queen/The Green Arrow for many years and he continues to do a great job this season. With him being revealed to be The Green Arrow his performance is more intense all season but it truly feels like Oliver Queen & The Green Arrow are one of the same and becomes a more complete character. The supporting cast are still great, Emily Bett Rickards are great as Felicity, David Ramsey is great as John Diggle, Rick Gonzalez is great as Rene Ramirez & Julia Harkavy is great as Dinah Drake. These characters have been crucial for numerous seasons now and they truly continue to be some of the more interesting characters in this DC TV Universe. The cast remains the true highlight of the show and along with the antagonists this season remains a true highlight of the show. The story is interesting as I liked the main antagonists motivation and felt is one of the more interesting motivations for a villain on the show. I also liked the prison element of the story, however, it feels like the first half of the season doesn't really build to anything and is a bit of a waste of time and hurts the season. Instead of flashbacks this season, there are flash forwards this season to see the future of Star City, these started off with some promise but I thought struggled to keep the interest up as the season progressed. The script has some decent drama in it that really worked for me and made me care about the characters. But there isn't as much depth as I would have liked and I definitley felt there was times that the humour took away from the show. The style of the show still has some of the best action scenes on TV & film around and it flows so well. But it is weird to say for a 22 episode season towards the end it just felt rushed, I couldn't believe that the finale came when it did and it took away from the epic nature of a finale. Though the last 30 minutes of the finale is some of the most emotional scenes I have seen on a TV Show ever. Even though there is another 10 episode season coming later this year this very much felt like the finale for this show. Overall If you enjoy this show this season of Arrow is enjoyable and still worth watching.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Twisted Thriller
27 May 2019
This film has gained alot of publicity recently whether negative or positive and I have now seen this film and I must admit this film gripped me quite a bit and had me interested throughout. The premise of the film documents the life of Ted Bundy who is accussed of Rape and Murder of numerous girls and how he charmed his way into the public eye. Zac Efron was cast as Ted Bundy and honestly this is probably the best I have ever seen him, he is charismatic, charming but also intense. He totally owns this role and I feel like he was perfectly cast in the role. Lilly Collins plays his girlfriend in this film and she does a fantastic job in this film, she is great as this loved up woman that sees how great this guy is, but as more is revealed she starts to break down and become really damaged. The cast is littered with top quality performers and they all do great jobs, Haley Joel Osmant, John Malkovic, Kayla Scodelario & Jim Parsons all nail their roles and give really solid performances. The story is fascinating as it shows a bad guy believe he is the hero of the film, you are drawn into this character and are interested how this is going to develop even if you know the story and the way it goes it is pretty gripping. The script has some decent dramatic scenes in it and the characters feel like they are in turmoil for pretty much the whole film. However, considering the charm of bundy I thought there may be a bit more humour used in this film and it would have added more to the story. The style of the film has some really intense courtroom scenes, I love courtroom scenes and I can buy into them. However, this film is a clear made for TV movie, it just seems to have a low budget and feels quite cheap. Overall this is an interesting film that I enjoyed watching and if you are interested in the story then you should see this film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin (2019)
A good fun recreation of a classic
26 May 2019
Disney has started recently of remaking their animated classics into live action films and the newest one of these is Aladdin. The premise of the film sees a kind hearted street kid attempt to win the affections of a proncess with the help of a magical genie. Mena Massoud plays Aladdin in this film and honestly I have never seen him in anything before, he was okay in this film, he sold the nervy awkward guy well and fit the role well. owever, I just felt like he was a bit dull and bland which made it difficult for me to really care about his character. Lets just get to the biggest part in this film, Will Smith as the genie, he really is the life of the film. I know Robin Williams is iconic as the genie but Smith does a great job giving his own version of the character, he is so charismatic and charming really owning the screen. Kristen Scott plays Jasmine in the film and she does a good job in the role, she is a strong character and fits the chsaracter very well and gives young girls somebody to root for. Though we come to Marwan Kenzari's performance as Jafar which is just so generic. he is a boring villain and isn't menacing at all. He doesn't seem like an imposing threat and really weakened the film for me. Also none of the other characters are given enough to work with to make anybody care about their characters. The story is good, its a classic tale and honestly not much is changed from the classic animated film. Though this is an issue like all of these live action remakes is that they are very predictable and it does hurt the overall experience of the film. The script is great, the drama and humour is used very well especially for the family audience that this film is clearly geared for. The style is also fanatastic, all the colours used are so vibrant and really gives this film life. The CGI is top notch and makes this film feel like a large scale film. Overall this is a good film that plenty of kids will grow up watching and that is not a problem.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Epic Non-Stop Thrill Ride
23 May 2019
I must admit I love the John Wick franchise so much, in my opinion these are the best action movies around and John Wick 3 is possibly the best one yet. The plot sees John Wick on the run, every hitman on the planet is after Wick to obtain a huge bounty. Keanu Reeves kind of disappeared after the Matrix films but he has been revitalised by this character. John Wick is the toughest guy ever, I love how comitted Wick is to the role and makes me root for this character, he gets beaten up a lot in this film and it makes even more interesting as a character. He totally owns every action scene he is in and shows what a true action star should look like. The supporting cast are also great, Halle Berry plays an ally of Wick and she nails this action role fantastically, she never seems to age and I really liked her dynamic with Reeves. Ian Mcshane is back for this film and does a good job as the head of the continental, I like how his relationship with John Wick is addressed in this film and how it is a large part of the story. Laurence Fishburne also reprises his role and even though he isn't a large part in the film he provides a charismatic performance when he is on screen. Mark Dacascos plays the villain in the film and I really liked his character, he is basically a John Wick fanboy trying to kill his dream opponent and I thought it worked very well, he was also fantastic in the action scenes. The story is great, this time around it shows John on the run instead of on the hunt, it causes some amazing action set pieces and a chance to see this guy get more tired as the film progresses. There is a twist towards the end if the film and I thought it really worked in the world that has been set up in these films. The script is great with some great dramatic tough lines but actually some well placed humour that really elevated this film for me. Now onto the best part of this film, the style. The action choreography is the best I have seen maybe ever, it is amazingly filmed and is so creative that it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. The pacing of the film is amazing it moves at a rapid pace but you will be invested from the first minute to the last as it keeps you glued to the screen. Overall this is an amazing film that completes a truly amazing action trilogy that should be held up as one of the best of all time.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Game of Thrones (2011–2019)
A Fantastic Final Season for this amazing show
21 May 2019
Game Of Thrones has been the biggest TV show of all time and now this eighth and final season has come and even though there has been a lot of division in my opinion this was just another fantastic season and a fitting end to this amazing spectacle of a show. The premise of the season sees Daenarys & Jon Snow combine there forces in an attempt to take on the army of the dead, while Cersei Lannister prepares her forces for an attack from the Dragon Queen. Now Kit Harington has sometimes been accused of being boring as Jon Snow but this season I thought his character was fantastic this season, he is dealing with keeping both Daenarys and his family happy and worrying about the looming threat. Harington uses his facial expressions brilliantly to show just how talented an actor he really is. Emilia Clarke as Daenarys has always been great in the role but her character is given extra depth this season and she does a great job this season. Her character gains more complexity this season and it is great to see a female character given this shine. The Lannisters are back, first Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, now I will admit some of the writing for the character has been a bit mixed but Dinklage's performance has been truly superb this season. He delivers such a good performance this season and you truly believe the trouble his character is going through. Jamie Lannister has been one of my favourite characters over the last few seasons and he is once again fantastic this season showing the development that he has gone through over the show. Cersei Lannister doesn't have as much of a screen presence this season but still is great as a central antagonist. Their is the rest of a huge cast and they all do great jobs this season. The story moves at a quicker pace but I really liked the overarching theme of the season and the character interactions that take place. However, there are a few decisions taken at the end of the season that I didn't agree with and hurt the show a bit. The script is great, the drama is as strong as ever and the sprinkle of humour used really does make these characters more well rounded and feel like real people. The style of the show has never looked better, the cinematography is stunning this season and makes this the most visually stunning show of all time. Overall this season of Game Of Thrones is not the strongest of the show but is another fantastic addition. I have to say I have loved this show from the first episode to the last and I am glad that this show will go down in the history books and ends on a high.
6 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Walking Dead (2010– )
A Below Average ninth season that might be the final straw for me
8 May 2019
I have watched every season of The Walking Dead and there has been a mixture of quality with some fantastic seasons but also some mediocre disappointing seasons and unfortunatly the 9th season of the show is more on the side of mediocre. The premise of the season sees following the defeat of Negan, Rick Grimes attempts to bring all the communities together in order to ensure a better future. Andrew Lincoln plays Rick and he does a great job in the role, he has been an iconic character and he does a great job in this reduced role to really deliver a memorable performance. However, he isn't in as many episodes as he has been previously and this really hurts the season as none of the characters have stepped up and filled that role. Norman Reedus is back as Daryl Dixon and does a great job, his character remains the tough but loveable guy that we have supported for many years now. A suprisingly good performance has to be Khary Paton as King Ezekiel, this season really sees him come into his own and I became more supportive of his character in this season. However, I thought there was some disappointing performances this season, Danai Gurira has always been fantastic as Michonne, but I wasn't particularly happy with the direction of her character this season. The reasons are quite spoiler filled so I won't address it but yeah I wasn't happy with her character. Smantha Morton is introduced as the new villain Alpha and I have to be honest she didn't do much for me, she was just a very boring character. She lacks the charisma to her and character to really care about the situation that our good guys are in. I love Jeffery Dean Morgan as Negan and he is great when he is on screen but he is so underutilised and this show needed Negan in it a lot more. The story is really jumbled, again it is hard to talk about the story without heavy spoilers but all I will say is that it feels like way too much happens in this season and it affects the quality of the show. The script deals with some heavy issues, the drama is delivered pretty well and there are defintley emotional moments in the show. But the charm has gone from this show mostly, the humour that was a part of the show has just pretty much gone. The style is the same as it has been not much different to the norm so it does work, but I feel like this show has too many episodes a season, the finale for this season felt uneccessary and the second to last episode should have been the finale as it was fantastic. Overall this was a really disappointing season of this show and I have to be honest that unless the trailer for next season is excellent this will probably be the last season of The Walking Dead that I watch.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Epic Cinema Experience
28 April 2019
Over the last few years I have seen quite a few films including all 21 Marvel Cinematic Universe Films so I was unbelieveably excited for Avengers: Endgame and I have to be honest this is my favourite cinema experience of all time. As a casual fan you can enjoy this film but as a person who has been such a huge fan of this universe since the first Iron Man this film is executed absolutley perfectly. This is also the hardest film to review ever as nobody should have this film spoiled for them and the trailers have been incredibly vague but I will give it a go. So the premise of the film is set after the events of Avengers Infinity War and sees the Avengers attempt to fix the destruction that Thanos caused in that film. Now the cast is absolutley huge but I am only going to talk about a few so this review isn't really long, for fans of Chris Evans as Captain America who were disappointed with his role in Infinity War, they will be pleased with his role in this film as he is excellent and at the forefront. Similar to this Robert Downey Jnr as Tony Stark is obviously fantastic and totally owns the role, Chris Hemsworth as Thor & Scarlet Johansson as Balck Widow are great in their huge roles. But i wanted to talk about some suprisingly great perfromances, this is easily the best Jeremy Renner performance as Hawkeye, he is a damaged character and has way more depth to his performance in this film. Paul Rudd as Ant-Man really works in this ensemble cast, his style of humour really fits well with the other Avengers and was a great balance to the others. Possibly the biggest suprise is Karen Gillan as Nebula who is really fleshed out in this film and I really enjoyed her character arc especially from the first Guardians film to now. For those people that love Josh Brolin as Thanos this film isn't really about him, Infinity War is his film but he is more of a supporting player in this story but he is still great. I can't talk much about the story but it has a perfect mix of drama and humour, also has a great blend of character moments and epic spectacle. That's all I am going to say about the story but it is truly epic. The script is great, with a really good blend with humour and drama you will be laughing one moment and possibly crying the next and that makes this film special. The style just aids in making this film feel truly epic, the action scenes are great and feels different to other Marvel films. Overall this film is going to be remembered as one of the greatest of all time, this expereience has hit me emotionally and I have seen this film twice already and I can see myself watching this film over and over to come for many of years to come.
123 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumbo (2019)
A Below Average Mixed Film
23 April 2019
This is another of the new live action Disney animated films and I have to be honest this is easily my least favourite to date. The premise of the film sees an ugly elephant find his place in a circus when it is revealed that it can fly. Colin Farrell plays the lead in this film and he is okay, he has a great screen presence in this film and does feel like a leading man. However, his character was pretty bland in the film and didn't provide that much depth to the film. Alos I didn't feel like Dumbo had much of a character so that was definitley a disappointing aspect of the film. The supporting cast is a mixed bag, the one highlight is Danny Devito who plays a fun part in the film, he is the one person who feels very natural in their role. Michael Keaton plays the antagonist in the film and wow he is so over the top that it is just plain bad. He is a complete cartoon in this film, which is so disappointing as he is a fantastic actor but was given nothing to work with. Eva Green plays his girlfriend in the film and she has this really distracting French accent that took me out of the film, she once again tries but is given very little to work with. I also didn't really care about the children in the film, I felt especially the girl acts like she is better then every other character in the film but came across as a bit whiny. The story is very underwhelming, it just has very little to it and is pretty bland and generic. I didn't really care about any of the characters or their plight so it definitley affected the overall film. The script had some chuckle worthy moments that will put a smile on your face, but the drama just really didn't hit for me, so when the characters are trying to build emotion I just didn't care. The style has some impressive visual effects and seeing Dumbo fly is pretty cool. But the problem is that once you have seen Dumbo fly it is never as cool to see it again, this really hurts the film as it can never reach the heights visually that it needs to. Also Tim Burton uses his usual style but I felt it didn't mesh very well with the film and caused a mix of tones. Overall this was a disappointing film but I hope Aladdin & The Lion King are much better then this film.
Hellboy (2019)
A Below Average Messy Film
18 April 2019
I haven't seen the original Hellboy films for a long time but I was mildly excited for this film due to some entertainment in the trailers, but I was worried that the trailers had shown too much and unfortunatly I was right. The premise of the film sees Hellboy bought in to help stop The Blood Queen from bringing back the Apocalypse. David Harbour takes over the role of Hellboy and does a really good job in this film, it is just a shame the rest of the film is a mess. He is very quick witted and snappy with quite a few good jokes. He looks amazing with the prosthetics and really does a good job of selling the action scenes. The supporting cast though doesn't perform as well, Ian Mcshane plays his father in the film and honestly he could have been played by anybody I like the actor but he had nothing to work with in this film. You are meant to care about their relationship but I never did even when the film really wants you too. Sash Lane plays Alice but her character never really interested me, you are meant to believe in this friendship between her and Hellboy but they never give you a particularly good reason to care about this friendship and again it hurts the overall film. Daniel Dae Kim plays an M11 agent that has to work with Hellboy and he is a pretty generic character, the military guy who doesn't trut Hellboy, yeah you can probably work how that is going to go. The one thing interesting about his character is spoiled in the trailer and isn't explained at all in the film. Mila Jovovic plays the Villain The Blood Queen and she is so bad it is funny, the dialogue for her is just terrible and she really is one of the most boring antagonists of all time. The story is pretty much non existant, there is nothing interesing or unique about the plot in this film, basically the plot is an excuse to get as many over the top violent action scenes and has depth whatsoever, especially with all the plot points being heavilly promoted in the trailers. The script has actually quite a bit of funny dialogue in it that made me chuckle, Hellboy is a pretty funny guy in this film and it definitley helped the film. However, as mentioned the films drama just doesn't hit for me and I didn't really care about anything that happened in this film. The style for the film has some pretty entertaining action scenes especially in the first part of the film. Some of the visceral scenes do work and feel appropriate for the film but I cannot stand how much unnecessary violence there is in this film. I don't mind violence but it has to have a point and this film honestly has so much pointless over the top cartoony violence it hurts. Overall this film is a mess with plenty of idea not executed well. Seeing how much money it has made in the Box Office I think it is fair to say we won't be seeing a sequel to this film anytime soon.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shazam! (2019)
A fantastic fresh feeling comic book film
6 April 2019
I am really excited to review the newest DC Film Shazam! The premise of the film sees a 14 year old boy granted the powers from a wizard, during the film he must realise what it takes to be a hero. Zachary Levi is relatively new to me, I have only seen him in his small roles in a couple of the Thor films, so when he was cast in this role I wasn't sure, but he was fantastic in this role. He really nailed the role of this kid in an adults body, he is very likeable and fun to watch especially when he newly recieves his powers. He is of a good physical build to sell all the action scenes and look the part of the role. Also new to me is child actor Asher Angel who plays Billy Batson and he does a great job with a suprisingly emotional performance, he also does the humour well but he does very well in this film. Mark Strong plays the villain Dr Sivanna in this film and he did a really good job, his character is pretty fleshed out and comicly evil as well. He is a good foil for Levi and I enjoyed watching them clash in the action scenes. Djimon Hounsou plays The Wizard and he doesn't have a large role in the film but he does a good job with the material that he is given. A real highlight is the performance of Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy Freedman, Shazam's sidekick. He starts off the film as quite annoying but becomes a loveable character and I really thought he and Levi did a great job in building their relationship and chemistry. The plot is fun and interesting seeing this child granted an adult body with superpowers leads to some funny moments and an interesting take on how superheroes should act. Suprisingly to me this films emotional arc really resonated well and aided with the character development very well. The script of this film was important and I thought it really worked. The humour made me laugh throughout and helped make this character feel more likeable. Also as mentioned the drama was suprisingly good and aided in making this film feel more then just a throwaway comedy. The style of the film mostly works, the costume is great and feels like it was ripped straight from the comcic books. However, the pacing of this film was a bit of an issue for me, especially the final confrontation which feels like it goes about 10 minutes too long and would have been more effective if it had been shorter. Also the action scenes are okay but nothing really stands out and some of them even feel like a rehash of the final battle in Man Of Steel. Overall I loved watching Shazam! this film was incredibly fun with great performances and an appropriate mix of drama and humour. After Aquaman and this film it is nice to see DC do a great job with these solo films and I just hope they can keep this quality up for future films.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Titans (I) (2018– )
A Below Average dark show
4 April 2019
This show was the first big show for the new DC Universe but I had to watch it on Netflix and I just never got into Titans, this show had an interesting premise but I thought it failed to deliver. The premise of the show sees a group of people with special skills have to come together to survive. Brendon Thwaites plays Dick Grayson/Robin and he does an okay job on the show, he has the physical performance nailed on and is very believeable in the role. I just found him quite dull in the role and lacked the charisma or charm to care about him in the lead. Teagon Croft plays Rachael and I actually thought she did a decent job, her character was sympathetic and I actually cared a bit about what happened to her as the season progressed.However, I wasn't really gripped by any of the other supporting characters, the characters of Kori and Gar aren't that interesting and their backstories aren't given enough depth for you to get attached to them. Also the lack of a main antagonist for pretty much the whole season holds this show back from you getting invested in the threat to the team. The story has some interesting take on a couple of the characters and it is entertaining seeing this dysfunctional group work together at first. But this show never hits that truly emotional gear, and to be honest the season feels a bit incomplete as the finale feels just like an episode that should have come before a finale with a lackluster payoff. The script is probably the worst part of the show, the characetrs are written so poorly, the dialogue is wooden and lacks any real emotion to it plus there is a very distinct lack of humour. The style of the show is rated R and this makes it feel different and more edgy at first. Though the filming of the action scenes isn't done very well and it is hard to follow at times. Also I feel like this show couldn't decide between the tone of realistic and super natural and it didn't work. Overall I was really disappointed by this show and I don't think it is really worth a watch.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Average Action Film
30 March 2019
This film has had a ton of marketing put into it and an all star cast so I ahve now seen Triple Frontier and i've got to be honest this film really disappointed me. The premise of the film sees a group of ex marines attempt to take down a crime lord and take the money he owns. Ben Affleck plays the lead in this film and he was okay in this film. His character has an interesting arc in the film which is more then can be said for some characters but I think Affleck has started to become a bit lazy. He seems to play the same thing in everything at the moment and maybe needs a proper break to revitalise himself. The supporting cast is large, Oscar Isaac has the most depth of any of the characters in the film and does a good job in the role, he really is a top class actor doing consistently good work. Pedro Pascal is fun in this film and adds a bit of extra flair into this film, however, I didn't really care about his or the characters of Charlie Hunnam and Garret Hedland. They were just a bit one dimensional and I wasn't fussed about what happened to them as the film progressed. The story has some promise at first seeing these different personalities come together for this cause and I liked a couple of the character arcs. But the second half of this film goes off the rails and is really drab and uninspiring, it crawls to the finish after a pretty strong opening. The script is completely average, some of the drama is used well and applied appropriatley, but others miss and the humour is non existant here. The style has some decent action scenes when they happen with some good gun action. But this film isn't paced very well and when it slows down it feels like it really slows down and takes ages to get back into the action. Overall this is a very forgettable film that unless you like some of the actors isn't worth a watch.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.