Reviews

Action entertainer for the whole family!
7 July 2019
If you think MLA is going to be just a fun action entertainer as it seems from the promos, you're right! The film has all the ingredients for a perfect popcorn entertainer. Kalyan Ram, without a second thought, doesn't just look great in this new look but also performs very well. Same for Kajal Aggarwal and Ravi Kishan. A special mention should go to Brahmanandam's short but hilarious appearance that had me laughing uncontrollably.

I felt the music too was quite fresh. It was breezy, melodious and urbane in flavor. The visuals are gorgeous and colors are rich. What starts as a fun entertainer morphs into an inspiring one as the film progresses. And yes, there's plenty of action throughout the duration. The action sequences are brilliantly choreographed and placed accordingly. Plus, there is ample emotion and humor, perfectly balanced to produce a desirable impact.

The story might seem typical in the start but with time, turns out to be a fresh and clever one. There are also some good twists and positive messages that make this more than just a one-time-watch film. MLA truly lives up to the expectations, and turns out to be a crowd-pleasing action flick that balances everything so perfectly that you won't be bored at all.
Ragada (2010)
Thoroughly entertaining action flick!
6 July 2019
Ragada is an action entertainer with all the ingredients for a perfect masala entertainer. It features Nagarjuna in one of his most stylish roles of all times. Anushka and Priyamani play the heroines who actually take the plot further and have an important role to play than just romancing the hero or dancing in the songs. This is really impressive on the director's part.

The screenplay is decent, and since it's an action film, Ragada relies frequently on its set pieces to create excitement, which it ultimately does. The fight sequences are brilliantly executed, and are the major reason why this film works to a major extent. However, some twists and turns in the second half are also impressively plotted. I didn't see any of that stuff coming, and that's why it was surprising to realize everything is not like it seems.

The soundtrack by Thaman is another major highlight. But the issue is with the placement of songs, in the second half. Right when the tension is rising and you can't wait to see what happens next, two songs are inserted out of nowhere. Brahmanandam's comedy is hilarious.

Overall, Ragada is thoroughly entertaining and delivers non-stop fun throughout its duration. Don't expect something never seen before, just enjoy the action, songs, comedy and Nagarjuna's mass avatar.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spidey is back in form with this new and one of the best action films of the year.
4 July 2019
This film is even better than Homecoming. It takes action choreography and storytelling to the next level and delivers every bit of the Spidey fun fans needed. Tom Holland as Spider-Man does a great job as usual, but Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio truly impresses big time. I can call it one of the best action films of the year so far.

The film was so fast paced that when an hour passed away and the cinemas placed a random intermission, my first reaction was, "What? Why so early?" It was when I looked at the time I realized that an hour had gone already, and the film was so gripping that I didn't even feel the need to leave my seat. The second half went on to intensify with a couple of very serious moments, but also present were the heroic elevations that made the viewer not just cheer for Spidey but also feel that yes! he should fight and save the day!

And of course, what's a great Spider-Man film without action? This film's biggest highlight are its white-knuckle action sequences. The stunt directors really went creative with the fights and other action scenes, and I couldn't help but feel exhilarated. Visual effects were done very well, and the cinematography, especially during the final fight, was outstanding.

But what has really left me surprised is the mid-credits scene that has also made me restless to know what would happen next.

Spider-Man: Far From Home is a top-notch action flick that has got something for everyone. If you are Spidey fan, you need to see this one immediately in IMAX 3D. There's no way you can afford to miss this summer blockbuster. Hurry, get your tickets and a tub of popcorn ASAP!
34 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ayogya (2019)
A faithful remake of Temper.
28 June 2019
After seeing Temper, I was sure no other film could ever top it. It's still my favorite cop action film till date, but since I'm a big fan of Vishal, I couldn't stop myself from watching Ayogya, the official Tamil-language remake. Usually before, during and after watching the remake of a classic, it's quite normal to make comparisons. Trust me, while there were some parts where I did that, I mostly found Ayogya a different film despite of mostly being a scene-by-scene remake.

What actually changes it course is the ending and the few minutes before it. As known to all, the climax was changed as Vishal wanted it to. And this is the major reason why I became more eager to check it out. Despite of being a remake, what differentiates Ayogya from Temper is the tone. Temper too was an outstandingly crafted, serious-and-spicy film, but Ayogya turned out to be more grounded in terms of storytelling. Another thing that changes is the action. Temper's action sequences were more realistic and less stylized while Ayogya's action is stylized and at times even better than those in Temper.

The color tone in Ayogya is also something that has to be praised. It's exactly what a cop action film should be like: action-packed, emotional, tension-filled and gripping. The director has adapted it well to suit the Tamil audiences, despite of the fact that a film of this subject appeals to viewers of any kind.

Vishal's impressive as an action hero, but this time you get to see him as a performer too. It's hard for me to compare his performance with that of Jr. NTR since the original is original, that's true. But Vishal truly owns Ayogya with his outstanding act. Other actors have also done an impressive job.

Yes, Ayogya is a full-on mass action entertainer with terrific action sequences, heroic elevations, peppy dance numbers, a little bit of irreverent humor and mass emotions that are the real highlights of the film. But the climax is what really turns this into an offbeat action film instead of a fully commercial one. That being said, while I still love Temper to the core, Ayogya too joins the top spot along with it. Because while I agree that Ayogya has a grounded climax, Temper too has a climax that entertains and connects emotionally.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Next-level actioner with a fresh plot!
27 June 2019
After watching this film, all I can say is that it's the work of a genius. Combining non-stop action with technological thrills, Enemy of the State is a fun action thriller that will appeal to both a thinking viewer as well as an average, fun-seeking viewer.

The film brilliantly cuts to the main point and from there, you can't easily predict what next will happen. The villains appear so powerful that you do worry for the protagonist and his loved ones. The tension doesn't decrease even a bit, and the vulnerability of the protagonists makes this an even more engaging affair.

Will Smith and Gene Hackman are both impressive. Their characters are written brilliantly, and they perform so convincingly that they make you root for themselves. It's a chase story where the characters are mostly on the run, and thus we have lots of excellently crafted chase sequences spread throughout the duration. Technical aspects too need to be praised, as the film really delivers on the visual front.

The writing is spellbinding, and the way the plot develops with a few but notable bursts of humor is really commendable. The film has a very fast pace that doesn't get affected by the slowest of talkie parts. However, what elevates the film and takes the storytelling to the next level is the final act. It was really so unpredictable and out of the box that I couldn't stop laughing out of excitement. This is now one of my all-time favorite climaxes in cinema history.

That being said, you need to see Enemy of the State ASAP if you like action thrillers. I'm definitely not gonna forget the amount of fun and exhilaration it provided me for 2 hours in a way that I didn't take a break at all. Tony Scott made really impressive, sharp action movies and this one's no exception.
Triple Threat (2019)
Just watch it for the super-cool action sequences!
27 June 2019
The moment I heard of this film, I felt the urge to see it ASAP! And watching this film was nothing but pure fun. Absolutely non-stop, well-choreographed action infused with some interesting twists and turns made this film a power-packed entertainer. If you like martial arts movies, this one isn't to be missed!

Featuring some of the greatest martial artist actors that range from Tony Jaa to Iko Uwais to Tiger Chen to Scott Adkins and a lot more: this film is just full of entertainment. The visual appeal is also pretty high, as the color tone is impressive. Cinematography is top notch. Action sequences as I said before are very impressive and provide white knuckle fun.

There's not much to say about the film other than that it needs to be experienced in the highest quality possible. In India, sadly, it didn't yet get a theatrical release, but I'm sure it's coming on digital soon so that fans of action thriller/martial arts films can enjoy this ensemble action flick!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Om 3D (2013)
Yet another underrated action thriller from TFI that deserves a lot more praise!
18 June 2019
Om 3D is yet another outstanding Telugu action thriller that is both underrated and underappreciated.

It's a very fast paced actioner with a plot that cuts to the conflict very quickly, leaving no room for boredom or slow pace. You don't have to wait till the interval bang for something surprising as surprises are delivered right from the beginning.

I really felt like I need to see this in 3D. Since it has been labelled as the first Indian action movie in this format, I really wish there was a 3D version available online so that I could fetch my 3D glasses and watch it ASAP. It seems a little difficult as of now since it's already a 6-year old film.

Kalyan Ram does an excellent job both as an actor and a producer. The cast is full of brilliant performers, and that's really impressive. The film is packed with outstanding action sequences further enhanced by the presence of explosive effects that would have looked immersive in 3D. The car chases for example are really well done. Also, the film is full of twists and turns that come across as fairly unpredictable and suspenseful at the same time.

The music is fine, but it's the BGM that leaves a lasting impact. Production values are fine, even though in most scenes you can tell the presence of VFX. Even in the portions where the CGI feels weak, it's the strong storytelling that keeps the film alive.

It's sad to see how the efforts behind the film went largely unnoticed. It bombed at the box office, and according to Kalyan Ram, the twisted screenplay was one of the reasons. Maybe the viewers weren't used to action thrillers that were twisted and not straightforward. Still, Om 3D offers an exhilarating blend of nonstop action, twisted storytelling and top class execution that's bound to make you remember it for quite a time.

Deserves to be seen and remembered.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unforgettable action thriller where the villain is the one to root for!
17 June 2019
This is one of those rare action thrillers where you cheer more for the villain than the hero. Law Abiding Citizen is an unforgettable, hard-hitting tale of injustice, corruption and retribution with a solid execution that makes it impactful with every viewing.

Gerard Butler's character can be considered a villain due to his violent acts, but then you can't call Jamie Foxx's character a hero either. Our "villain" has gone through something so terrible that you want his enemies dead and whenever he does something like that, you enjoy that. You don't want the "hero" to win.

How many movies have you felt that before in?

Performance wise, Foxx is decent but it's Butler's outstanding performance that made me think this is somewhere a true story. I could see in his eyes the pain caused to his character by the corrupt system.

The film's full of intelligent twists and white knuckle action sequences. There's plenty of blood, guns and explosions to keep any action fan engaged. The film jumps to the conflict right at the beginning and this is one of the best things about it.

It also happens to be a genius balance between plot and characters, i.e, it's both character and plot driven at the same time which is a rarity in many movies. It's one of the finest and most underrated action thrillers made till date. I'd suggest you to check out the director's cut which is far more violent and has some extra footage.

Law Abiding Citizen gets the viewer emotionally invested for the most part, although the ending is bound to generate mixed opinions.
Inttelligent (2018)
Decent action entertainer worth watching if you like action.
14 June 2019
Intelligent... actually Inttelligent, is pretty much a straightforward action entertainer with a familiar story and plot elements but what carries it forward is the balance it has between action and a decent story apart from the terrific background score by Thaman.

Sai Dharam Tej is decent as an action hero, and carries the film very well. Then we have a lot of other actors who also deliver good performances. Like many similar movies, the first half takes time to arrive at the main point and then picks up pace just before the interval blockade.

The title is not completely justified by the execution but there are moments where it finds justification. It's better not to look for a very fresh story here, but what really attracts one's attention is the fact that the film is inspired by true events.

Nevertheless, the film is entertaining enough to be seen at least once. Even the running time hasn't been stretched much and that's good. The action sequences are all executed very well and the bullet time effects are also excellent. Music by Thaman is melodious, but the songs are placed very randomly, and serve as speed-breakers, especially in the second half.

The film manages to impress with its mix of action, humor and sentiment. If you like action, you can give Intelligent a watch without expecting too much "intelligence" from it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the greatest films ever made, with some of the greatest visual effects!
13 June 2019
While Doctor Strange is mainly an action film with great action scenes and visual effects, it also has powerful dialogues and strong performances that add to the quality of storytelling.

The visual effects are the first thing one would remember this film for. I mean, I still can't understand how could one imagine something as creatively complex as this. As the viewer sits and experiences the action sequences filled with mind-bending effects and creativity, one can't help but feel it's one of the greatest visual spectacles of all time.

But as said before, there's a heart to the storytelling apart from all the non-stop action. Ancient One's dialogues are sharp and deep at the same time. Benedict Cumberbatch's performance as an arrogant doctor who goes on to become one of the most powerful superheroes, or the "Master of the Mystic Arts" as he is called, is nothing but outstanding. Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One is really impressive. Other actors are also impressive, including Rachel McAdams who plays more than just the hero's love interest, and Benedict Wong who just like his name lives up to the character of Wong.

The film depicts what a superhero should be, without even mentioning it verbally even once. It's extremely impressive to see Strange bond with the Cloak and fight the bad guys. It's almost like a martial arts film, where a lost man seeks knowledge and becomes a protector, but it's really different from what any viewer would have seen in any other superhero blockbuster. The irreverent humor also works well wherever placed.

Doctor Strange is one of the best action movies ever made, and with its outstanding visual effects along with the action sequences, is purely an experience of a lifetime. I really wish I had seen this on the big screen.
Dark Phoenix (2019)
Pure fun for action fans, and that's all that matters.
13 June 2019
Even though I heard the film received extremely and unbelievably negative reviews all over, I didn't change my mind and went for an afternoon show today in IMAX 3D. I found it enjoyable to the core as I didn't look for flaws or something even close to that. The audience turnout had also been quite lower than usual following the negative talk but I still enjoyed it like any other X-Men movie.

Dark Phoenix will feel familiar in parts largely because of the plot being pretty similar to X-Men: The Last Stand that also had Jean Grey in the same avatar. So I won't say you should be expecting a completely new story here but the presentation is what really works big time. It gets the viewer gripped from the opening dialogue to the very last moment with its fast paced screenplay and well executed nonstop action.

Sophie Turner's performance as Jean Grey truly stands out. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender also deliver impressive performances as expected. Jessica Chastain's character can be considered a welcome addition to the X-Men series even though we aren't going to see it again, possibly. I wish some characters were used to the fullest, like Storm and a few more, but with time I didn't think about this anymore.

Visual effects are top notch. You really need to see the film in 3D and in the highest possible quality, if you really want to see it in the first place. And since this is first and foremost an action film, it doesn't forget to deliver all the superhero action viewers want. That should be enough to experience this cool summer blockbuster on the big screen, at least once.

Call it anything, love it or hate it, the film will definitely work well with an audience of its own. As per reports, it might have bombed at the box office, but it has chances of doing better upon home video release. Even though comparisons with The Last Stand are inevitable, the film is still an impressive visual spectacle that doesn't deserve the heavy amount of hate it has been getting.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Other than the lack of revenge as the main plot, this is a pretty emotional film.
12 June 2019
If you like action dramas that balance emotion and action together with normal, human characters, you will like this film.

If you like revenge thrillers filled with twists and turns, you're bound to be disappointed.

Seven Years of Night is nothing like what I had expected. The film indeed fails as a revenge story but succeeds very well as a story of guilt and repentance. Ryu Seung-ryong's outstanding performance is what really matters the most, while Jang Dong-gun as a cold, creepy father is also impressive. The story is full of memorable characters played brilliantly by talented actors.

The action is very impressive. It is as realistic as it can get and at times very violent too. From realistic foot chases to car crashes to other set pieces: the action really works as an integral part of the film and makes the viewer feel the pain of the characters. Cinematography is top notch and the visuals are rich. Music that accompanies the drama is soothing.

The writing is a little weak as the film's pace (if you consider revenge the main thing) is extremely slow. But if you're okay with watching slow-burning, character-driven action dramas, you will have a pretty good time, just as I did. Not the best, but a terrific South Korean film!
Jawaan (2017)
Has flaws, but is an interesting, intense action thriller.
5 June 2019
Action thrillers are the best when least disrupted by badly placed songs and subplots. Jawaan suffers from these two things quite badly but the plot and action sequences are so impressively crafted that it becomes an interesting watch.

One of the biggest mistakes is the inclusion of the heroine's character in the film when she practically has nothing to do with the main story other than slowing down the pace and killing the intensity. Songs are randomly placed and totally unwanted. Other than that, we have an intense action thriller with plenty of cool action and well-written characters. Sai Dharam Tej and Prasanna have done an excellent job and the execution of several confrontations between them is top notch. VFX, while mostly fine, is weak in the final moments.

If you have problem with enduring the songs and subplots in a tightly written action thriller, I'd suggest you to watch the Hindi version that at least does away with the songs.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun game that's difficult in the beginning, gets easy with time.
1 June 2019
I had literally no idea there was a game based on Ab Tak Chhappan. I just happened to find the film's official website created by Times Internet, where I also discovered this FPS game. Believe me, it's really difficult to play the game initially but with time it gets better, easier and perhaps even repetitive.

Since this game was produced as a tie-in to the film, it has only one level and most FPS players will find it easier to play. But for players like me who play such games not very often, the challenges will be fun initially. All you have to do is shoot the targets and save the day.

Make sure to read the instructions first, otherwise you might not be able to use some of the important functions in this top-notch action game.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keanu Reeves and Chad Stahelski have brought back the bygone era of deadly American action heroes.
18 May 2019
If John Wick 1 and 2 were entertaining, this one is much, much, much bigger and better in both scale and execution of the action. My one issue with the previous film was that some action scenes had got quite blurry to follow. However, this film improves both on the action and the cinematography, while also not losing the grip on the story that is perfect enough to connect the set-pieces.

Right from the first scene to the very last, JW 3 had me amazed. This time some light, natural humor was also added, making it different than the first two movies. Also, every single action sequence is super-impressive, mind-blowing, outstanding, crowd-pleasing, heart-pounding, eye-popping... there's no shortage of adjectives to describe the brilliance of the action. I mean this is seriously a next-level action flick that's also filled with gorgeous visuals.

Keanu Reeves is just impressive. He IS John Wick. Period.

If you miss the days of American action classics where one hero used take on everyone by himself and saved the day (including Keanu's own film Speed), you would be happy to realize this film pays a perfect tribute to those classics, such as Die Hard. And if you call yourself an action buff but haven't seen or planned to see JOHN WICK 3, you're lying. Go, watch it ASAP!

I can call it the best R-rated action film of the year. The IMAX experience was pretty much worth it, although the standard screen experience won't feel too different either, to be honest. The film here has been censored so we did miss some of the brutal action, and what's worse is that viewers could feel what got cut and I could hear them making kinda disappointed voices. But even after that, this is a perfect action masterpiece that's going to be remembered for ages to come. This is the closest an American action film can get to Indonesian action classics The Raid 1&2.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zanjeer (2013)
Not groundbreaking, but never was meant to be.
10 May 2019
Let's be honest: Zanjeer is actually a pretty good film if you choose to look past its flaws (too many songs and some dialogue delivery) and instead focus on the positives (great action and decent performances). I actually had a good time watching the film. It was exactly what it was supposed to be: a full-on spicy action film featuring another angry young cop. Although it's a remake and I actually haven't seen the original yet, I can say it has made me excited about the original Zanjeer since it released in a time these cop actioners were instant blockbusters.

The reason why this new Zanjeer was panned is possibly because no one wanted a classic remade. I can understand that, especially when the original was a smash hit. Also, this remake released in the wrong time to be honest. The original turned out to be a trendsetting film due to which the "angry honest cop takes on a criminal" story was reused again and again in Indian movies over the years, diluting the freshness of the subject over time. Zanjeer is not a surprising or great film, but is adapted pretty well as per modern standards.

Action is what is offers the best. Great fight sequences, destruction, explosions and what not: this is exactly the film's USP and all the action feels even more impactful due to the presence of Telugu superstar Ram Charan. I'm a big fan of him and thus I could realize his voice was dubbed but actually pretty well. Priyanka Chopra, Sanjay Dutt, Prakash Raj, Mahie Gill and Atul Kulkarni have also given good performances according to their characters. VFX is adequately handled. The emotional scenes involving Vijay are really touching and impressive.

All in all, this is a good action film to watch with a tub of popcorn. It's definitely not as bad as what most people tend to think, although I understand why exactly they do so, something I'll understand even better when I check out the original soon.

Verdict: Not the best but still a gripping, entertaining cop action film. 4/5 stars.
Karam (2005)
An underrated action thriller with a soul.
4 May 2019
Karam is indeed an impressive, dark action thriller that has a somewhat familiar-looking story of a hitman who wants to quit his job but as it unfolds, you realize it's not that simple as it might initially seem. Thanks to the DVD covers and many posters, most viewers would have thought of it as another Bollywood romance, which it isn't. Interlaced with sharp dialogues, stunning action sequences and powerful performances, Karam is a poetic actioner that has to be seen at least once in life.

If you are a fan of John Abraham and want to see how his earlier action roles were, this is indeed a good film to start with. A lot of set pieces have the Mission: Impossible feel to them and are brilliantly executed. It's absolutely jam-packed with action, and the drama that follows it along with some really good songs is also praiseworthy.

I really had no idea that the famous "Tinka Tinka Zara Zara" song is from this film!

Performance wise, everyone delivers. The casting couldn't have got any better than this. What's also surprising is that while the film has a fair share of violent action and mature themes, it has almost no profanity in it, which is great given the film's theme. Also, the visual work is at times impressive, especially in John's introductory sequence. Editing is top notch as the film runs just a little less than 2 hours. The characters are written in a way that you'll remember them for quite a time.

I feel this film is quite underrated. Critics bashed the film at the time of its release, and it wasn't a box office hit. Thankfully, viewers today are realizing the film's potential. On the whole, Karam is a terrific action thriller that has to be seen if you like action films and John Abraham. Plus, I would recommend seeing the uncut version first. It's available on internet, while the DVD version is cut.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2019's not yet over and this is already the year's best film!
27 April 2019
You'll cheer, you'll laugh and you'll cry.

But most importantly, you will enjoy.

Avengers: Endgame turned out to be more than wished for and delivered all the action, humor and emotions balanced in a perfect manner.

One must not forget that it's not a standalone film and due to that, the slow pace in the first half can be understood. It will however not bore you for even a second, that's for sure. All action sequences are masterfully crafted and choreographed, further backed not only by the CGI but also a strong thread of emotions that seems to drive everything in this film.

The directors have dealt with the characters quite well. All performances are impressive, but Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans truly win hearts. If you've been following all MCU movies since Iron Man (2008), there's no way you won't like it.

It's a great action movie, a great comic book movie, a true crowd-pleaser and possibly the best superhero movie, but first and foremost, it's... it's a...

I'm speechless.
123 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total Dhamaal (2019)
Full-on entertaining, clean action comedy for those who want to be entertained!
24 April 2019
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that this fun-filled popcorn entertainer delivers exactly what it promised to, that too in a clean, family-friendly manner?

Comedy movie bashing is a very common practice these days. A lot of people see such comedies as an insult to their intelligence and hence the low ratings. Again, this is a film that boasts humor and action that one can enjoy if in instant need of fun. Dhamaal, its prequel, too was an entertaining one and is one of the rare Bollywood comedies not bashed by most people. Total Dhamaal, just like Dhamaal, is an action-adventure-comedy that is however higher on stunts as compared to the prequel and the pace too is quite swift.

Songs are decently placed though not memorable. The film starts with humor that might not click instantly, but as time passes and the real story begins, it will engage you. I wasn't expecting it to be this action-packed and it delivered cool stunts throughout the entire duration. All characters impress, and the way the director keeps shifting focus from one pair to another is excellent. The editing too is quite good as there aren't any slow parts. Exotic locales ooze an enchanting, adventurous feel.

I'm not going to criticize the film for its at-times childish humor. I've no problem with it since I knew the film was going to offer that in the first place. But if you've got a problem with that, you can simply watch Dhamaal, that features intelligently done humor. If you're looking for just a fun action comedy with at least clean humor and no double meaning dialogues, you can watch this film with the whole family and not regret it.

I'll give it a 100% rating.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oustanding war/action thriller film!
21 April 2019
Honestly speaking, this is my favorite war film of all time! The narrative is so thrilling that no matter where you start watching it from, you won't be able to get up till the end. It's an electrifying action thriller that combines action, suspense and a touching sense of patriotism with finesse. From performances to writing to technical aspects, The Ghazi Attack is simply a gem. You will feel emotionally invested in the characters and won't even mind shedding a tear for them. In short, this is a truly captivating wartime action thriller that deserves a watch despite of a slightly slow first half. I can assure you that if you liked it, you'll definitely want to see it again.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top notch action film that entertains to the core.
21 April 2019
I decided to watch this film yesterday since I had watched Cold Pursuit, its official English-language remake starring Liam Neeson, which turned out to be one of my favorite films of this year. And since both movies were directed by the same man, Hans Petter Moland, I decided to give Kraftidioten a watch and I was impressed, easily.

Despite of having known the story, I was gripped till the end. There are certain things it does better than CP, while the latter too outdoes it in certain other ways. Kraftidioten has a fast pace and is filled with tension and action. The black humor feels more hilarious than that in its remake, even though some really hilarious parts in CP are better. Cinematography is impressive as it captures the snowy scenery with finesse. Sound editing and background score are both impressive.

Stellan Skarsgard delivers a powerful performance, and so do all other cast members. Moland has handled his characters very well and has made sure we get invested in them. The film is far more suspenseful than CP due to its tension-inducing background score which the latter lacks, maybe for some right reasons. And since it's an action film, it delivers great action sequences too: in the right time and right amount. There are some really outstanding scenes I wish the director had included in CP. Those scenes add a lot to the film and its characters.

If you have seen neither this film nor its remake, I'd still suggest you watch both of them. Your first priority, however, may differ since the pacing and editing is better in Kraftidioten while Cold Pursuit features more stylish and better action sequences. Nevertheless, Kraftidioten or In Order of Disappearance is a masterpiece of the black comedy-action cinema. Check it out ASAP.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
District 9 (2009)
A true SF action classic... Must watch for all!
21 April 2019
I can easily call this one of the most thoughtful sci-fi action movies of all time. Neill Blomkamp has injected popcorn action, tragedy, emotions and well-crafted tension in this film about aliens Vs humans conflict. The first half is a setup for the real conflict that unfolds in an absolutely action-packed second half. The action just keeps coming, it doesn't stop. Visual effects are astonishing true sight to behold. Sharlto Copley's performance is top-notch. The ending is really hard to forget. This film is undoubtedly a masterpiece.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark and intense: Not for the faint-hearted!
21 April 2019
This is a very dark and brutal film. Definitely not meant for kids and even faint-hearted adults.

A Walk Among the Tombstones is not just another Liam Neeson film. Its tone and background score are enough to confirm that. Neeson plays a tough detective, and undoubtedly delivers with brilliance. The cast is full of strong performers, due to which the level of intensity feels much, much higher.

The story might not be the first of its kind, but it's the screenplay and execution that hits the target. One could call it an exploitative film due to its mature nature but then it's an adaptation of a novel of the same name, and while I haven't read it, I feel it's possibly a brutal and honest adaptation.

And while it's slower and more dramatic as compared to Neeson's most action films, Tombstones makes up for most of it in the form of well choreographed action scenes it delivers at the right time and in the right amount. In short, it's a strongly written, tension filled neo-noir action thriller that deserves to be seen, if you aren't easily disturbed or turned off by the frequently graphic violence and language.
Gamer (2009)
Just watch it if you like action!
20 April 2019
Gamer is a pure action film that also has a great story that can be felt. Not very long in duration, and that's too good. The screenplay and characters are written very well. Although there's an excessive usage of shakycam effect during the action sequences that produces a distracting effect, it doesn't really affect the fun quotient this nonstop action film has to offer. Gerard Butler's performance is terrific and he plays his part very well. Same for the rest of the cast.

I was kinda surprised but not shocked to realize that this film was made by the makers of the classic actioner Crank starring Jason Statham. The camerawork, loud action and several uncomfortable moments alone confirm this. At times resembling a real video game, Gamer is loaded with extremely violent action, has sex/nudity and has swearing too. That being said, it's definitely not for kids. Action buffs, especially grown ups, are in for a treat.
Hard Boiled (1992)
Hard Boiled is action cinema at its best!
19 April 2019
If you are an action lover and still haven't watched this film... I can't blame you. I myself watched it a few weeks ago only but all that I can say is that it's outstanding!

John Woo has crafted an action masterpiece that is undoubtedly one of the greatest gems of the genre. Chow Yun-Fat is impressive as Tequila and so are the other cast members. The pacing initially feels a little slow, but the film grips you with nonstop action sequences and tension-filled moments.

The story at first seemed like another cop vs criminals battle, but turned out to be a lot more than that as it unfolded. I was impressed, especially since it's a very old film but is still very fresh as per modern action filmmaking standards. Each and every action sequence is outstanding... I think even outstanding is a smaller term for that. I have really not seen action as exhilarating as this, ever before in a classic actioner.

And I can assure you that when the famous hospital action sequence will start unfolding, you'll be nothing but excited. It'd be like watching a completely different film as the action touches unprecedented heights from there. Hard Boiled is very easily a breathtaking, eye-popping and still fresh action film that needs to be seen as soon as possible. It's one of those films you must watch at least once in life!

10/10. (deserve even more!)