Reviews

Stuber (2019)
A Few Laughs
12 July 2019
Far from the greatest film ever made, but good for a few laughs. Nothing to take too seriously, just a decent movie to occupy a rainy day.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joe Hill (1971)
Great Film!
10 July 2019
I saw this movie when I was thirteen years old with my father. We enjoyed it so much that we saw it again the next say. An unknown cast yet superbly acted. Released at a time when we were in a state of war (Viet Nam) and political unrest. Might be out-dated today, but then again, maybe not. Great film.
Midsommar (I) (2019)
Trash! Trash! Pure Trash!
3 July 2019
Wrap up this senseless. stinking garbage of a demented, sickly perverted, torturous film and flush it down the toilet. Pure trash! Enough said.
13 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Won't Play (1944)
Chemistry Baby! Chemistry!
15 June 2019
Cute little World War II propaganda short. Dane Clark and Janis Paige had remarkable onscreen chemistry and it shows here and in Hollywood Canteen. Ms. Paige was not only gorgeous, but she was a talented singer and actress.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Demented Trash Passing For Art
18 May 2019
Nothing redeeming or remotely entertaining about this film. It is basically made to disturb and shock the audience. The violence comes across as sexually perverted and demented. Torture is not entertaining unless you are a sadistic lunatic. Truthfully, this film is a sorry mess and the fact that so many people find it awesome is a sad commentary on our social environment. Maybe I just don't get it. But, if so, I have no regrets. In my humble opinion this is pure trash.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apple Juice? I Don't Think So!
3 May 2019
Dino's daughter would have you believe that her dad was never drunk, but drank apple juice substituted for whiskey. Well, Dino's eyes look glazed and watery this whole film. Some scenes he looks terrible and really hung over. Maybe it's a good thing because he was definitely miscast as a brutal psycho. Entertaining enough if you are a fan of Dean Martin; which I am. A bit of brutal violence which was not needed and a bland triangle love story without any sparks at all. Jean Simmons looks tired and plain and her so called love spell over Martin and Peppard just seems unbelievable. A rough night for everyone involved in acting in this film. Just pass the Apple Juice.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Last Resort (I) (2018)
A Sweet Road Down Memory Lane
16 February 2019
I was born and raised on Miami Beach and lived and experienced everything shown in this film. Not really sure if the content would appeal to everyone, but definetly it would be of keen interest to people born or lived on Miami Beach from the 1950s to the 1980s. Andy Sweet's photo memories are priceless. His brutal death was senseless. However, his legacy is intact.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird
24 January 2019
This is a weird movie. Why did they dub Robert Tessier? Why did they have him wear the fake beard? Scott Newman walked through his role looking like a hulking, slouching comatose addict. Sorry, but the poor guy couldn't act. Not much to the whole movie. Entertaining only if you can't sleep and it is 3am anf there is a rain storm outside.
China Gate (1957)
China Mediocre
20 January 2019
I wanted to like this film, but it was only fair, if not below average. Angie Dickenson couldn't act at this point and overplayed her role. Gene Barry wasn't much better. Lee Van Cleef as a Chinese Colonel! Beyond bizarre. The saving grace was Nat King Cole. A decent performance and a great ending song by Nat gives this film a five. Good to view at 3am when you can't sleep.
LSD Trip
13 January 2019
The whole cast looks and acts stoned out of their minds. Joy Harmon and Trish Sterling are gorgeous, but looked zonked out on LSD when dancing. Aside from some knockout bikini babes, this is really a bad and boring film. If you want to trip out, then watch this film. If you are sober; forget about it!
Shocking Ending
26 November 2018
I thought this was a decent film; not a classic, but entertaining enough. The basic premise for me is that sometimes you get in over your head trying to be something that you are not. Guess you'd call this a dark comedy. Excellent acting, gritty scenes of New York life when it wasn't so pleasant, and a shockingly brutal ending makes this worth a look.
Marathon Man (1976)
Weird, but highly entertaining
22 November 2018
Alot of very strange scenes in this film which really make no sense, but still a very entertaining action thriller. CIA killers, escaped Nazi War Criminals, street gangs, European spys, Asian hitman, femme fatale, millions in diamonds, and more twists and turns then the Florida turnpike; very entertaining to say the least.
Working Girl (1988)
Working Griffith
12 November 2018
Excellent romantic comedy which has stood the test of time. Griffith and Ford have outstanding on screen chemistry and they should of worked together again. Miss Griffith steals the film and it is her best role. Interesting to see Kevin Spacey and Alec Baldwin in small supporting roles. Great entertainment.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film, but weird Toby!
5 November 2018
The character of Toby was really bizarre and strange. Today he would be called a psycho stalker. Really found Toby disturbing and he was not needed in this otherwise perfect film. Mickey Rooney was outstanding. Of course the movie is pure propaganda, but why not? Excellent entertainment.
Weird.....Really Weird
5 November 2018
This is a really weird film. No one and I mean no one seems remotely normal. Most of the acting is over the top and is mediocre at best. Robert Stack really isn't much of an actor. He basically frowns and screams his way through his performance. Robert Ryan is stiff and flat and sleep walks the entire time. The movie is entertaining in an odd way, but nothing special.
Pocket Money (1972)
Pocket Bore
28 October 2018
I love Newman and Marvin,but this was a stinker. Funny? Nope. Serious? Nope. Bad acting? Yes. No chemistry between the two stars at all. Newman gives one of his worst performances as he basically sleepwalks through the whole thing. A stinking bore.
Alan Ladd is finally happy
26 October 2018
Typical 1950s fluff about a great, yet tragic hero. Entertaining for a rainy night, nothing else. However, it should be noted that the saddest movie star that ever lived, Alan Ladd, finally found some happiness in making this film. He fell in love with his co-star June Allyson; only problem, both were married at the time. Seems June looked alot like Ladd's first wife; his highschool sweetheart. Alas, Mr.Ladd's happiness was short-lived, as was he.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Route 66: Cries of Persons Close to One (1964)
Season 4, Episode 17
Dark story of unlikeable character
26 October 2018
I can see why Route 66 was heading for cancellation; each storyline got darker and darker. Parks plays the washed up boxer slightly overboard and is completely unlikeable. A violent, stinking drunk attracts little sympathy and this story is too bleak to enjoy. Decent acting and entertaining enough, but really not my cup of tea.
Ocean's Eight (2018)
Eight is enough
21 October 2018
Enough is enough already. Nothing new here, but a basic rehash of all the previous Ocean's films, but now it's an all-female gang. Lots of overacting, lame jokes and attempts at humor, and a thin storyline which lacks real excitement. Entertaining for a rainy afternoon, but nothing else. Honestly, I thought Sinatra and The Rat Pack did a better job back in 1960; ring a ding ding.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Greatest (1977)
The Ungreatest Actor of All Time!
20 October 2018
I loved Ali the fighter. I was his biggest fan. With that said, Muhammad wasn't very good in this film; playing himself! The only good thing about this movie are the real films of some of Ali's greatest boxing matches. The entire cast comes across as cartoonish, stereotyped, wooden and dull. Even Ali overplays himself and plays himself very badly. Forget this film and watch Ali's real boxing matches on dvd instead.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull and Boring and Alot of Smoking
19 October 2018
How can an exciting historical event turn into such a dull, boring, listless film? Smoking a cigarette is not acting. Smoking and more smoking and wooden lifeless acting. Everyone was dull and boring, even General Imin. If you like people blowing smoke and staring off into boring space, if not, forget about it.
Over Acted and Out of Shape
19 October 2018
Fair cop drama trying its darnest to be a classic, but falling short. The actors from the stars to the unknowns overplay their parts and come across sterotyped and cartoonish. To make matters worse, the top stars are all grossly out of shape, puffy and paunchy and seem to be huffing and puffing through every edited fight scene. Chris Penn at 31 was already packing on the pounds and it is truly sad to see this talented actor falling apart. Nolte seems out of breath the entire film and screams more then he acts. Disappointing film. Only of interest to die hard fans.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Jake (1971)
Despite the horrible acting
13 October 2018
I liked this film. I gave it an eight. However, some of the worse acting in history takes place. John Wayne's nine year old son is possibly the worst child actor in history. Sorry, but the kid couldn't act. Chris Mitchum and Bobby Vinton are just as bad; stiff and wooden and sound like they are reading their dialogue. Even the dog stinks. The only bright light is Richard Boone as a psycho's psycho. Bruce Cabot, Patrick Wayne and Glen Corbett sleep walk through their roles. But, I am a big fan of the Duke and I still enjoyed Big Jake.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Juggler (1953)
Excellent for its time
11 October 2018
Groundbreaking for its time, but overacted for today. The world had a different outlook on people suffering from psychological disorder back in the early 1950s. Most actors playing those roles had a habit of overplaying the role and Kirk Douglas does the same thing here. However, his overall performance was excellent. Not really too much of a storyplot, but it is entertaining enough.
The Last Run (1971)
Slowest Car Chases in Film History
8 October 2018
George C. Scott is about the only good thing in this movie. Tony M. can not act. He always plays the same character in every movie and is basically a cartoonish version of a tough guy. The car scenes are really weird; slow and slower and boring. Even the few shoot outs are dull and boring and slow. No on screen chemistry between any of the actors, yet Scott fell in love on this movie set and divorced his wife. I can't figure any of it out. If you are a fan of George C. Scott, see this film. If not, forget about it.