Reviews

Mediocre
27 July 2019
Been there done that, the plot and story-line is one that has been used in anime numerous times, only this time it was a mediocre attempt. Our protagonist travels to an unfamiliar world which feels like a combination of game and real world. He faces numerous difficulties and levels up, during his adventure he meets up locals , makes friends, has character growth. Basically this covers the theme of numerous other anime, the trick is how to keep it entertaining and fresh and this own fails at it. The animation and sound itself are good, but the characters, plot and script are really bad.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting, Intriguing Slow Winding Plot
26 July 2019
Liked the setting and theme, a plot to overthrow the government, full of suspense and mystery, was not sure who is conning who. The personality and flow of the anime was very different from what I am used to, at the start it felt fresh, but by the end did feel to drag a bit when the suspense was all out in open although the different districts with their personality added color and kept the flow somewhat fresh.

The animation itself is good and the music really compliments the contents.

In the end a enjoyable anime,
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great anime, well made with a compelling plot
3 July 2019
I really enjoyed the anime, the plot and the characters are fun. The main protagonist is unique in her characteristics, a salary-man reincarnated into a female child soldier. She is one with a dark heart and in being a villain comes naturally to her. The setting is a world similar to our Earth only with magic present and during WW1. The anime got tons of super action, military strategy and laughs.

The animation itself is real good, top of production quality and the sound voice over and effects are equally good.

Really looking forward to the next season/movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Steins;Gate: Egoistic Poriomania (2012)
Season 1, Episode 25
Satisfying epilogue episode to Steins;Gate
29 June 2019
This is the episode most fans of the original anime might have been looking for, we get to see of what is happening with all the characters since the ending of the anime. We get to glimpse of Daru's future wife (finally the mystery is answered, not what I expected). But the best part is the bonding developing between the two MC's, simply beautiful.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Steins;Gate 0 (2018– )
A different take on the original series, good but not of the same level.
29 June 2019
Steins;Gate 0 got a superb concept, it covers what happens when a different decision is taken on time traveling, the central character giving up and accepting defeat.

This show is much slower and less intense than the original. With a bleak and serious outlook, the fun and humor are missing. The focus is more on emotions and relationship, only in the last quarter of the anime does the plot progression pickup. The storytelling is also very confusing, much more than the original. It does tidy up the loose ends but did leave me with a muddled mind.

The personality changes most of the characters undergo suits them perfectly with the fresh take on the story, still, I would prefer the more entertaining fun personalities from the original series.

The animation and sound itself are good, probably a notch better than its predecessor. Loved the opening soundtrack, its intense.

It is a very promising anime, just needed to cut down the running time by half for better pacing.
Steins;Gate (2011–2015)
Superb Sci-fi thriller having time travel as its central theme.
29 June 2019
Steins;Gate is deceptive, takes times to take off, took about 7 episodes to become interesting and only became mind-boggling from episode 13 onwards, after that it was one intense episode after another. The storytelling, characters, plot, suspense, and humor are all great.

The way it covers time travel paradox and it's after effects are one of the best showcased, be it in anime or beyond. The characters are all unique, wild and memorable, they fit in perfectly with the storytelling.

The animation and sound itself are good, not great but better than decent. I actually enjoyed the opening soundtrack and did hear it over then skipping them.

It is a very entertaining anime covering a complex subject yet ending without loose ends, a must watch.
Forest of Piano (2018– )
Starts of well but drags by the end of it.
28 June 2019
The anime is based on a manga focused on a boy named Kai who wants to play the Piano. Having already read the manga and enjoying it quite a bit I was excited to see an anime being released. The coming of age plot although not original or perfect kept me hooked at the start.

I am not much into music and have no idea of Piano or classical music. Initially, I was enjoying a few of the scores, but the repetition of the same does get tiring, the same were easier to browse over in manga format. Others may find listening to music as the highlight but that was not the case for me. The animation itself was good overall but the close up of the characters while they play the Piano is terrible, the art shifts from 2D to 3D, from old style color painting to clunky 3d characters, this was not needed and bought down the overall watch experience for me.

Season One (7/10) The first season of twelve episodes seems more fun and better paced with the background development of the main character.

Season Two (4/10) The second season seems to be a big drag, the focus on other characters and their life only prolonged the already dull storytelling, the repetition of the same music over and over again in a competition didn't help the matter much. Did love the ending but I do feel the anime should have been shortened instead of staying true to the manga.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Story of Saiunkoku (2006–2008)
Historical setting, compelling story but slow paced
21 June 2019
The Story of Saiunkoku is a series of Japanese light novels later adapted to manga and anime, I picked up the anime series based on its high ratings. The anime is very different from what I am used to watching, probably more catered to girls then guys with what seems to be a elements of reverse harem and a bit too many love angles going on. Also the slow pacing really took a toll on me.

The setting is an ancient Kingdom borrowed heavily from the Chinese Forbidden city. The plot centers on Imperial life, running a country, bureaucracy, personal life and love angles. The plot is deep and have unexpected conclusion but the slow progress is an issue. The main character is a girl wanting to be a government official, along the way every male character in the series falls in love with her.

The animation itself is decent, nothing to write home about. What stood out for me was the music, it took getting used to, but after a few episodes really enjoyed the haunting bitter sweet melodies of the local Japanese/Chinese instrument.

Not a series for me, so i won't pick up the next season.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Been there done that, a monotonous watch
3 June 2019
The series got one of the most common plots in anime, getting stuck or transported into a online style game and not able to log out. However this time around the MC starts as an overpowering god like character, along the way he forms a harem, has some adventures and the anime end midway of the ongoing journey.

So while the show borrows ideas from other anime, I am still a sucker for the genre. Problem for me was the pacing, just too slow with nothing much happening. Tons of time is spent in solving straight forward problems, the way the MC plods along is frustrating. It is easily one of the dullest things I have watched.

The animation itself was on the better side, everything looked good.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Military strategy, stem punk fantasy, coming of age anime
3 June 2019
Alderamin on the Sky is based on a Japanese light novel, which was later adapted to manga and now an anime. I had read the manga and enjoyed it a lot so I decided to watch the anime when I stumbled upon it.

The setting is a Stem Punk Fantasy world with tactical warfare as the focus of the plot. It's the start of rifle age, with swords still playing a major part, air balloons are the next new thing. Also, everyone got some spirit companion who can do some neat tricks. The storytelling focuses on the journey of a recruit to becoming the highest military officer in the country using brains. We only cover the training of recruits and their first campaign before the anime ends just like the manga. I hope they spin out more seasons as this is one of the anime with some great characters and lot of potential.

I liked the animation, it was done up well all throughout.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything about the series is weird, quirky and entertaining to watch
25 May 2019
Among the best series for kids out there even though it's a Black Comedy, it is very different from anything else you have seen. I loved watching it with my 9 & 12-year-old nephews. More focused towards the young crowd but does have something for the adults too with its hilarious over the top plots in an illogical world.

The plot revolves around Count Olaf trying to steal a fortune from Baudelaire orphans after their parents perish in a fire. It's a treat to watch them save themselves with their intellect and Count Olaf cooking up new schemes to get the fortunes. The adults in this world are outrageously dumb.

The casting and their performance cannot be more perfect. Neil Patrick Harris is amazing with the various disguises and accents he pulls off. Malina Weissman and Louis Hynes are outstanding as Violet and Klaus. The unique narration style by Patrick Warburton breaking the fourth wall has its own sophisticated charm.

The makeup & music is the best there is on the small screen. Even small things such as the opening theme and lines which changes episode by episode are a treat to look forward to.

Season One (4.5/5) Introduces us to the characters and the world of Unfortunate Events

Season Two (4.5/5) Continues the absurd tale of the Baudelaire orphans on the same note as the previous one, full of weird humor, great set pieces, and superb performances, although the series doesn't offer anything new the suspense does get deeper.

Season Three (5/5) Ends the series on a satisfying bittersweet note, the mysteries are answered, the many twists are brilliant and the adventures make it such an entertaining watch, probably the best season of the series.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Selection Day (2018– )
Binge watch worth coming of age sports drama suspense series
24 May 2019
The plot revolves around two brothers and their father's passion towards making them the next superstar of Cricket. The father's obsession borders to mania and gives the vibes that he may do anything to achieve his dreams. To fulfill their ambition they move to Mumbai and covet for a position in the Mumbai under 19 Team. To add spice to the mix, the god gets involved, they meet a rival with some disturbing emotions and one of the brothers does not even want to be a cricketer.

I thought I have figured out the plot but I was way wrong, the ending surprised me in multiple levels. The series got superb casting and performances by both the young and old actors. It is another gem of a Netflix Original.
Baki (2018– )
Boring (Review Season One & Two)
6 May 2019
Season 1 (13 episodes) - I have read the Manga the series is based on a long time back, so I kind of knew what to expect. What I thought I was getting into was some cool and brutal fights between bad-ass martial artists, but what I got was a lot of talks, killing of nobodies with very few clashes among the good fighters. I think the problem is the first season is just spent on introductions, these guys are thinking on lines of running a series spanning over 100 episodes. But as a 13 episodes season, it is boring and not worth a watch as the story never takes off.

Season 2 (13 episodes) - I expected the plot to pick up in season two, well it does, all my complains from season one is answered but done up poorly. Finally, we have a few characters killed off, but before that, the roster of supporting characters are doubled, each one seems to be a different shade of grey from the others, none of them interesting. I wanted more fight sequences, we have plenty of them this season, they are nonsensical, dumb and repetitive. The worse part was the storyline, it is extremely slow, frankly, the show is a big waste of time.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
House of Cards (2013–2018)
Excellent political thriller series based on the White House.
8 April 2019
My review is for all six seasons.

I loved the series focused on the murky world politics, got my first insight on US political parties, election and working of government. The series has it all, backstabbing, lobbying, whipping of votes, impeachment, elections, political road tours, they touch on both the light and the dark side of politics and the length one might go towards climbing up the government ladder. The casting is superb and the performances by the leads great. The storytelling, dialogues, and plots were really good at first, but the later seasons simply ran out of good ideas.

Season 1 (9/10): We get introduced to the power couple of Mr & Mrs. Underwood, they are menacing and it's a treat watching them scheme.

Season 2 (7/10): The season starts on a high with a shocker first episode, the first half is as good as the previous season having the same strengths, excellent writing and only gets darker. The second half of season two seems to be less thought out, things seem too easy of the Underwoods.

Season 3 (6/10): We get deeper in the characters of the Underwoods and their chief of staff Doug Stamper. At this point, it feels like been there done that, the show is fast becoming a ridiculous political drama.

Season 4 (8/10): The shows plotting is ludicrous but it is highly shocking and entertaining. The focus on Robin Wright as Claire Underwood rescues the show. The audience at this point realizes she may be the colder and scarier of the Underwoods.

Season 5 (5/10): At this point, the show is out of good ideas and writing material. The show started as a serious political drama, now it borders between idiotic and nonsensical while still taking itself seriously.

Season 6 (2/10): One of the worst seasons ever made for any series, the writing is horrendous. The performances are strong but they can't save a sinking ship and this is what the show has become.
Not for Me
29 March 2019
The animated series for the adult audience does have some really crazy moments, depending on the day and situation one might call it a masterpiece or a piece of garbage.

The series plot and storytelling are confusing and dragged out, the show only takes off when half the season is over. The characters never get the chance to be developed.

The art is unique, the use of colours gives it a surreal feel, it felt like you are watching something which was created by someone on drugs, some might consider it good, but at least I didn't like the creative imaginations. The series got plenty of action sequences but they were terribly shot, too dark or too exploitative.

The anime does end with a bang, but by the time you get around to understand what the story was trying to tell it is already over.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delhi Crime (2019– )
One of the best fact based Crime Drama
28 March 2019
Delhi Crime , the seven episodes series is loosely based on the 2012 Delhi gang rape, got to say it is among the best Crime dramas I have watched. Everything seemed realistic, from the heinous act to crime solving. All the dimension of individual characters are explored, they felt unique, flawed and above all humane, be it the police officer, public or politician. One of the most distinctive parts of the show was the way it tried to humanize all the people involved, even the criminals and the victims, all of them were shown in an unexpected light. I really appreciated that they didn't take the exploitation route as is the trend in media nowadays. The casting is superb and the performances impeccable, even the ones playing a minor role.

The show tries to present a Pro Delhi Police image, problems with the force is shown but lack of manpower, overworking, budget and low level of education and training are conveniently used as excuses, yes those are some of the issues but the major one, that of corruption is ignored. The show especially goes out of its way to glorify the top tier of the police force.

Earlier at the start of my review, I had mentioned the show is loosely based on the incident, this is because a few minutes of fact checking about the case made me come across at least one important fact which was distorted in the show. During the show, the top brass is heard cursing that a victim of earlier crime by the same group only came to police after hearing about the gang rape on news and if he had complained earlier the incident could have been avoided. But the fact is he did go to the police before the rape but was ignored by constables stating the crime does not fall under their jurisdiction. The lack of want to take action by junior officers is shown all throughout the show but the show ignores to tell that the actual incident might have been stopped if it were not for them.

This was the only rape case conviction among the 706 rape cases filed in New Delhi in 2012, this just shows to tell either the police force did do wonders in this particular case or it may be the public pressure driving them.

It is one of the best Dramas I have seen, direction and presentation are as good as the best in the world, looking forward to season two.
Got Promise for unique take on Super Hero series but not their yet
19 March 2019
Review based on Season One

I am a fan of superhero series, especially the unconventional ones, so when I saw the trailer of The Umbrella Academy, I was all excited. It was kind of what I expected, the plot is intriguing, the villains and heroes a mixed bag of stylish and wacky, the focus is more on storytelling then action, and when we do get a wee bit of fight, it is crazy, I really enjoyed the fight in the diner. Another highlight was the superb soundtracks, they just add to the charm of these guys.

The characterization is good, all of them having unique personality and powers, the best part, they all seem to have normal human problems and complexes, it is not all about having a mission and saving humanity for them. For me the best were Aidan Gallagher's "Number Five", he had the best action sequences and Robert Sheehan's "Klaus", both of them seem to be having so much fun. Rest of the characters felt underutilized as of season one.

The series did have other problems, the biggest issue for me was the ending, a cliff hanger, they didn't get to answer most of the questions we start with. At ten episodes the season is just too short, and the uneven pacing didn't help the matter much, the mid-section of the series felt like filler. The second problem was some of the castings, mainly the boring anguish look of Ellen Page's "Vanya", she is getting typecasted and doesn't offer much with the same expression all through the series. I liked her generally but she was terrible out here.

I hope they structure the second season better.
Titans (I) (2018– )
This is among the worst shows I have ever seen.
25 January 2019
Review for Season One - Titans took being dark a bit too literally, It felt like watching a series shot in a dark room, lots of fight sequences were happening, but couldn't see anything, the only way I could figure it out was the sound effects and dialogue. Well, they should have just said the series aims to be an audio book instead of portraying it as a visual show.

The few times I did see the Titans, I realized why the direction went for dark visuals. The actors were just not good enough to be shown in the light. They did improve as the series progressed but none of the actual members of Titans ware up to the standard for starting in a high budget production besides Brenton Thwaites Robin. Their characterization and script didn't help the matter much, Koriand'r & Gar Logan don't get much of screen time to show off their skills, what little we do see seemed promising. Teagan Croft as Rachel Roth was a let-down, she just didn't work for me. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the other non-Titans side characters and the casting. The new Robin, Wonder girl, Doom patrol, Hank and Dawn were actually good, these and other references to DC characters were a fun part of the show, sadly while I enjoyed them, they were a distraction from the main story arc.

The series plotting jumps around way too much and does have plot holes. They have a long term vision but its final episode didn't justify it to be the season's climax. Mind you it was good, in fact mind-blowing but it just didn't work as the season finale.

On that note, I would still watch season two, but they got ways to go.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Baki (2018– )
Boring
22 January 2019
I have read the Manga the series is based on a long time back, so I kind of knew what to expect. What I thought I was getting into was some cool and brutal fights between bad ass martial artists, but what I got was a lot of talks, killing of nobody's with very few clashes among the good fighters. I think the problem is the first season is just spent on introductions, these guys are thinking on lines of running a series spanning over 100 episodes. But as a 13 episodes season by itself it's boring and not worth a watch as the story never takes off.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kaksha Gyaarvi (2018 TV Movie)
Stand up Comedy on school times.
1 December 2018
Zakir Khan talks about his times in school, he is fabulous with his comic timing and antidotes, adds a little tribute to his father along the way. Everyone can probably relate to some part of his school life with that of Zakir's.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Megalo Box (2018– )
Looks & Sounds Great but lacking Content
1 December 2018
I enjoy sports anime so when I saw one on Netflix with just having thirteen episodes, decided to give it a go. The anime is based on boxing with metallic gears, the story of an underdog boxer aiming for the top. Found the plotting and storytelling to be below average and the ending very disappointing. The idea of using gears in boxing sounds and looks cool but not realistic. Also the characters are simple, even by the end I didn't care what happened to them. Also what was with the world making, it only revolved around the boxing ring and we don't get to see anything else of this dystopian style world. The animation itself is really good, it looks great and the music is amazing, but the story is shallow.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Final Table (2018– )
This is my first chef show and got to say it was appetizing.
30 November 2018
Being a foodie I have been seeing clips of different shows but never took the plunge in watching one, decided to give this show a shot as it seemed truly an intentional culinary showcase. Twenty four chefs from different background, food schools and countries battle it out with each other in teams of two. The judges are food critiques but the final elimination is judged by a renowned Master Chef. The concept of using different countries cuisine and food products as a theme in each episode, with each and every judge having there on taking on judging gives each episode its uniqueness. It was great seeing the contestants taking advantage of their countries background and others experimenting their way into it. Ultimately it was all about serving plate after plate of gorgeous food. The final episode and the winner did leave me disappointed but it is what it is.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Kiddish for my taste.
22 September 2018
I enjoy anime and have watched tons of them, so when I was looking for a new one to start, I came across Gurren Lagann. It was ranked high and seemed to have a cult following, so I decided to give it a shot. Even though I was not enjoying the initial episodes I continued watching as lots of reviews said you need to give it a few episodes to get into the groove. Well, I watched it till the end and got to say I didn't enjoy it one bit.

The story is basic, the dialogues are silly, the characters annoying, everything which happens is over the top. According to me, the target audiences are kids. I simply don't comprehend the rave reviews the show got.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful, Heartwarming Animation
3 September 2018
This is a slice of life anime is with themes of sports, romance and comedy. Plot line covers the coming of age tale of a 17 years Shogi (Japanese Chess) player called Rai. As is with most slice of life animation, the storytelling is slow but full of emotions. Besides having a mature story it's got one of the best animation I have come across, it works perfectly with the storytelling, bring out the feelings of the characters. The sound and music are also great and the characters among the most complex ones I have seen in an animation.

As of now I have watched the first two seasons, first season in dubbed and the second in subbed and have loved them both, although I prefer the dubbed version. Really looking forward to see what comes next for Rai.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hikaru no go (2001–2003)
Character driven board game anime.
1 September 2018
I loved the Manga the anime is based on. It being five year since I last read them, I was pretty excited to give the anime a try and wasn't disappointed at all. Ones I started watching I couldn't stop and ended up binge watching the whole 75 episodes within a week.

The story is based on the game Go, a board game popular in Japan. It's a character driven story told from the point of view of a 12 year old kid name Hikaru. He is introduction the world of Go when he get possessed by a friendly ghost who happens to be masterful Go player, his name being Sai. Along the way Hikaru develops a sportsman rivalry with another kid his age and they end up propelling each other's growth.

The theme of sportsman's competiveness, obsession and emotions are superbly covered. Although the main characters' are kids, the way their desires are shown should ring well with sports loving crowds of any age.

The anime is fifteen years old and the animation itself is dated but still decent considering it was made for a sliced of life theme. What this means is special effects were not needed, making it a story driven story then an animation dependent. The sound effects and music are good and complement the story emotions perfectly.

This was an anime I enjoyed watching a lot even though I knew of the story. On that note be warned, the ending might feel incomplete.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.