Reviews

1,323 Reviews
The 100: Earth Kills (2014)
Season 1, Episode 3
The Shows First Solid Episode
20 July 2019
Plot In A Paragraph: As a dangerous, acidic fog approaches, Clarke (Eliza Taylor) Finn (Thomas McDonell) and Wells (Eli Goree) set out in search of a seaweed-like plant to make an antibiotic poultice for Jasper's wounds, while a vulnerable young girl follows when Bellamy (Bob Morley) takes a group out hunting for food.

WOW the shows first solid episode did not disappoint. We got two character deaths, one a minor character (Adam) who could have developed into an interesting character and a main character (Wells) who I expected to be around for a long time. How he died, seriously shocked me. In killing Wells, the show has actually killed its only person of colour, in the young cast and it's best actor in one go.

There was a nice scene where Clarke and Octavia talk whilst nursing Jasper.

There was something about the way Jaha look at Abbey when she kissed and cuddled her husband. Is there something there?? A future love story by any chance??
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 100: Earth Skills (2014)
Season 1, Episode 2
A So-So Second Episode
20 July 2019
Plot In A Paragraph: Upon discovering that Jasper may still be alive, Clarke (Eliza Taylor) Bellamy (Bob Morley) Finn (Thomas McDonell) Wells (El Wells and Murphy (Richard Harmon) head out to find him. On the Ark, Abby (Paige Turco) is determined to prove Earth is habitable, and enlists a mechanic named Raven (Linsey Morgan) to craft an escape pod.

Another so-so episode that ends on a cliffhanger, as always in a teen drama, we have a love triangle. Clarke (the gorgeous Eliza Taylor) is the object of affection of both Finn and Wells. Finn is all cocky arrogance, whilst Wells is a nice guy and supportive friend to her (he only get sent to jail to ensure he could be with her when she got sent to earth. He is constantly teased about Clarke, by Bellamy "She doesn't even see you" and is bullied by Murphy, who is already established as the bad boy of the show, even if it is Bellamy who is in charge. Just don't disobey him.

I was critical of the acting in the pilot episode, and whilst Taylor and Morley are ok, Avgeropoulous is still bad and Eli Goree is the best of the bunch followed by Richard Harmon, who makes Murphy very easy to dislike.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Today You Die (2005 Video)
Seagal Plays Robin Hood With Two Extra Chins & A Bad Wig
18 July 2019
Today You Die

This is a bad one. Don't get me wrong, its action packed and Seagal's stunt double does plenty, including walking down the stairs... Seriously. I made it to the end, but it's bad.

Seagal plays Harlan Bank, who (in a change of pace for seagal) is a jewel thief (instead of an ex military whatever who knows how to kick an insane amount of ass.) looking to settle down with his girlfriend/wife and live a straight life. He makes the stupid move of taking a job driving an armored truck for Kevin Tighe. He is double crossed and ends up in prison (thankfully, this jewel thief inexplicably knows everything every other Seagal character knows, about kicking an insane amount of ass) He breaks out, kills everyone and does something hilariously ridiculous (so we know what a nice guy he is) with the money he hid.

There are many unintentional moments of comedy in this one, I actually laughed out loud when his girlfriend/wife asked him "Why are you whispering?" comedy gold.

He is wearing the same jacket as in his last movie Submerged (It must be from his personal wardrobe or he thought it hid his weight well) he even wears it in prison. He is the only guy in the entire prison not wearing the traditional prison attire.

There are lots of continuity problems (a guys coat changes colour after being punched) it also has action scenes borrowed from other films and the dialogue is cringe worthy. One of the worst instances is in the trailer. "Walks like a black man, breathes like a killer" what does that even mean??

Future Kick-Ass star Chloe Grace Moretz has a small role as a hospital patient.

All in all, is another ridiculous action film from Seagal.

Side note: Millennium films and Nu Image films sued Seagal to a tune of 14 mil over this and the movie Mercenary For Justice because apparently he would arrive on set late with his entourage, leave the set early, make unapproved and unauthorized script changes and was overall disruptive during filming. The claim is that Seagal's behavior left the producers unable to shoot crucial scenes which messed up the continuity of the film and caused "irreparable gaps in the films logic" Seagal counter sued for breach of contract.
The 100: Pilot (2014)
Season 1, Episode 1
Has Potential, But Misses The Mark
17 July 2019
The 100 has been on our screens for more than half a decade, and I have never been a fan, I watched the first season and gave up on it.

I watched the first season with my youngest son who was 8 at the time (13 now) and he was instantly hooked, It was a slog for me to get through the first season and I gave up. Fast forward to this year, and whilst waiting for season 6 to end (he likes to binge watch them) he decided to start them again and we made a deal, I would watch every episode of this, and once we were up to date, he would watch every episode of a show of my choosing!! I'm thinking Taxi.

My biggest problem with the pilot episode is that it is too 'teen friendly,' The cast is full of impossibly good looking teenagers (all with great hair) who can't really act.

Most of its characters are ridiculously cliche (especially the teenagers) Octavia Blake (Marie Avgeropulos) is painful to watch!! The wannabe head cheerleader/wannabe bad girl rolled into one. Like most of the cast, she is good looking but can not act. Her bad boy leader of the pack rebel brother Blake (Bob Morley) is better, but he is kind of bland. Monty (Christopher Larkin) and Jasper (Devon Bostick) are the horny comedy duo and are ok, Finn (Thomas McDonell) is the good looking rebel who Octavia fancies, but he only seems to have eyes for Clarke (Eliza Taylor) and he is a disaster, he is to blame for two deaths early on and doesn't care, its quickly forgotten on the next scene!! Then there is our heroine Clarke, we know she is the hero due to her monologue and her do the right thing, sensible attitude.

On the Ark we meet Abby Griffin (Paige Turco) who is take charge and probably the best actor in the pilot. Marcus Kane (Henry Ian Cusick) with too much guy liner and suspiciously dark hair is in full on pantomime villain mode and Thelonious Jaha (Isaiah Washington) isn't given much to do, but he has an important role.

Overall I'm reminded why I didn't like it.
Anna (II) (2019)
Surprisingly Decent
17 July 2019
I just got out of watching Anna.

Now I have a real soft spot for Luc Besson, as he made 3 movies in a row, which I absolutely loved (The Big Blue, Nikita and Leon) but I have enjoyed nothing since and have stopped watching his movies altogether.

I had no intention of watching this movie, as the trailer looked bad and it didn't interest me at all. But my eldest son asked me to go with him, and he has seen everything else playing, so Anna it was.

There were 7 people in, not counting me and my son. And I can't believe I'm going to say this, but it wasn't bad!! It was certainly better than the last few Steven Seagal movies I have watched.

I will say this straight off, the movie is sold/marketed wrong. The trailer (which I have seen numerous times on the big screen totally fails to convey what the movie is about, instead it just focuses on the movies two only action set pieces (not counting a car chase) the main one in the restaurant is half an hour in, and the last one is almost at the end. It's a lot more like Red Sparrow than the all out constant action trailer suggests.

Don't get me wrong, its violent, you see plenty of people die and it's very bloody, but it really wasn't what I was expecting. It is not straight forward either, it has more time hoping than Highlander, it is set in 1985, 1987, 1990 and 1991, but hops all over the time lines at different points, never following a straight narrative.

My son agrees that if it followed a straight narrative line, it would not have been anywhere near as interesting, as it was, it held our attention all the way through and we both enjoyed it.

Luke Evans and Cillian Murphy are both fine in their supporting roles and Dame Helen Mirren, simply steals every single scene she is in.

But it is Sasha Luss's movie and she does a fine job, I don't think I have seen her in anything before, if I have, she didn't stand out, but she was decent here, she handles all her scene's really well.

My only really complaints we're the action scenes were very John Wickish, in that it's just one person in kill mode on a computer game fighting countless, nameless goons.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised.
Yesterday (III) (2019)
One Of My Favourite Movies Of The Year
15 July 2019
I just got out of Yesterday

I loved it. Seriously one of my favourites of the year. I knew Himesh Patel from his work on Eastenders (a show my ex was obsessed with) so it was no surprise to see him be great, and it was nice to see a few other English tv actors pop up too!!

Lily James!! What a babe!! It took me a while to place her, then I realized she was Cinderella In the live action version from a few years ago.

I feared Paul McCartney would turn up at some point, but he didn't
Into the Sun (2005)
The ending Doesn't Make Up For An Overall Dull Movie
15 July 2019
Into The Sun (2005)

Seagal is looking a lot better in this movie than his other recent efforts and the movie does benefit from that. And if you were a fan of his earlier movies, you should love the climax to this one.

That said, I found this a real slog to get through, it is ridiculously paced, and is so slow it feels a lot longer than it actually is, particularly in a dull midsection. The story is not even casually interesting, certainly nowhere near enough to make the grind of a watch worthwhile.

There a few scenes where Seagal speaks Japanese but the townspeople don't. That is weird. I guess only Seagal can speak the native language.

It's funny, I noticed after Kelly Le Brock in Hard To Kill (unless you count his kiss with Eleniak in the final moment of Under Seige) Seagal didn't have a real love interest for a lot of movies. I don't even remember if he even kissed the woman in The Patriot. Now it seems like 'Seagal sleeps with a hot young chick' is inserted into every script.

What I did like was we see parts of Tokyo we do not usually see in other (American made) pictures, like the city's Chinatown and suburbs. I notice stuff like that, so it may not be as cool to others as it was to me. And not was there some attractive women in this... I see why you liked it Mmarvel lol

It's not the Seagal of Out For Justice of Under Siege but he does well enough in the action scenes and pretty much carries not only the action scenes, but the full movie.

Reading up on it, Into The Sun had a $35 million dollar budget (most must have went on locations and Seagal) and was supposed to debut in theaters. I could not find a reason why it didn't.
Clementine (2004)
Seagal Did Not Appear Before I turned It Off One Hour In
14 July 2019
Clementine (2004)

This is easily the worst movie I have watched so far in Seagal's filmography, obviously a quick payday for him. He brings nothing to this except his name. He had not even appeared in it before I turned it off an hour in.

Quick synopsis the main star of the movie is a karate champion who lost a rigged fight (possibly against Seagal) I'm not 100% sure. As he is fighting this fight his wife dies during childbirth and his daughter put into an orphanage. He gets her back, stops fighting and becomes a cop. He loses that job for being too aggressive and turns to cage fighting to pay the bills!! Then in a move only a soap opera writer from Days Of Our Lives could come up with, the mother did not die and she wants her little girl back.

Forgettable.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out of Reach (2004 Video)
Watchable But Laughable
14 July 2019
Out of Reach (2004)

This is a bit of a disappointment. It's another Taken style action movie, without much action. There is a gun fight and as shown in the trailer a sword fight, but even that is pretty bland and uninteresting.

Seagal is William "Billy Ray" Lansing an ex-military, ex-government agent who now wanders around the woods of Alaska and writing to a 13 year old girl. Which is a tad disturbing, what he talks to her about in the letters is also a bit worrying too.

Seagal's hair in this movie is just silly. It's a jet black, strange-looking mullet. A lot of his dialogue is overdubbed by someone who is clearly not Seagal and there are many scenes that are clearly not Seagal in front of the camera as well, even something simple like walking around in the woods is a double.

This was a Franchise Pictures release... remember them??

The plot is ridiculous, we don't know why the feds want him dead after he refuses to rejoin them, he has no real reason to go to Poland, no panic written letter by the girl, he is just psychic. For the second movie in a row (after years of no love interest) Seagal's female partner is unrealistically attracted to him, and the scene where he operates on her to remove a bullet is laughable.

That said, I was never bored, even if I was laughing at the absurdity of the obvious double, the voice over or what was happening on screen.

All In all, Out Of Reach is a pretty entertaining entry in the filmography or Seagal. There's enough out-and-out silliness to keep you engaged.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Belly of the Beast (2003 Video)
Is The Title Making Fun Of Seagal
13 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie, I come to Belly Of The Beast (2003)

On a whole, it is actually a whole lot better than you'd expect. The plot is a bit confusing, there are some huge plot holes and the wore work is more than a tad silly at times.

This is the first time is Seagal looks bloated, and his close ups are mostly framed to cut out his chin and hairline

But he still looks like he can kick ass. His wardrobe is on the ridiculous side again but he does seem like he still cares (I think it was Evan who said it previously) even if he uses stunt doubles and is dubbed at times.

I didn't like how the right scenes were shot (especially nor the one in the market) clearly not Seagal doing most of it.

I really like the Buddhist monk who was Seagal's friend. He was awesome, a great sidekick for Seagal. I didn't like the ending for his character at all.

Director Siu-Tung Ching filmed most of the action scenes without the involvement of Seagal, opting to film his shots last, but conflict arose when Seagal insisted on filming his shots in a way that wouldn't accommodate the existing footage. Ching is said to have left the set, taking his stunt crew with him and welcoming Seagal to finish the scene by himself. This infuriated the producers, who convinced Seagal to go along with Ching's approach.

All in all, ridiculous and totally implausible, but a watchable dtv flick.
Stuber (2019)
Better Than I Expected
12 July 2019
I just got out of Stuber

I have to say, it was not as bad as I was expecting!! I honestly had no one tion if watching it, as I thought it looked awful. But I quite enjoyed it, it is disappointing to see the star and writer of the wonderful The Big Sick reduced to this role though.

Nanjiani and Bautista's performances are both fun, but the screenplay really does then no favours at all, there is a whole friend zone subplot, that you think is headed somewhere, then it doesn't, there is another subplot that just seems to be thrown away too.

The violence is plentiful and quite graphics, there are a few genuine laughs in there, but a lot of the jokes missed for me. There is quite a sentimental core at the centre of the movie, which was surprising,

Trailers shown were Ad Astra My Spy Crawl Angel Has Fallen Apocalypse Now Final Cut Angry Birds 2 movie
1 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Foreigner (2003)
A Poor Man's The Transporter
8 July 2019
The Foreigner (2003)

Seagal is a guy named Jonathan Cold. He's a former "deep cover operative" living in Paris, he has been entrusted to deliver a very valuable package from France to Germany. He doesn't know what's in the package, but he does know that the person he's delivering it to is wealthy gent named Jerome Van Aken. Along the way, Cold finds out that a lot of baddies want to try to stop him from delivering the package. Yes. It's basically a poor mans The Transporter.

If you have ever watched Statham in those movies and thought "God, he is so wooden" or "Man, he can not act" this movie will give you a new found appreciation of Statham's acting in those movies. It is better than Out For A Kill, but not by much.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out for a Kill (2003 Video)
Oh Dear
7 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Out For A Kill (2003)

Wow. This is bad!! Even the title is lazy, and just a mashup of Out For Justice and Hard To Kill.

Seagal is Yale professor Robert Burns. He is also an archeologist. When we first meet him, he is receiving an award because (he's such a talented and great man.) Nevertheless, he then dons his traditional leather jacket and becomes Indiana Seagal, bearing no resemblances to any other badass archaeology professors. He is then framed, sent to jail and also faces q personal tragedy!! Unleashing the hidden talent within all Yale professors, he beats up, seriously injured and kills across the world, using their arm tattoos as clues (seriously who wrote this) but its ok. Turns out he was also in the CIA at one point too!! (like all decent Yale professors) Dear God!!

I looked up the writers, and it turns out most of their work is tv movies or dtv. It's shockingly bad here. One of them was a producer on the Expandables movies. It's awful directed by Michael Oblowitz, who I am disappointed to see directed the next movie The Foreigner.

Is this the one with the wire work Evan?? Or does it get worse??
Has Potential, But It Does Not Work
6 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Half Past Dead (2002)

Seagal plays Sascha Petrosevitch an undercover FBI guy who has teamed up with criminal Nick Frazier (Ja Rule), who vouched for him. Seagal is a Russian for some reason.

The plot has Seagal and Ja Rule serving 5 years in the New Alcatraz prison, when it is invaded by some well armed nasty bad guys, who want to know the where about of $200 million in gold bars from a soon to be executed death row prisoner.

It is more than a tad ridiculous that it's basically bad guys verses the prisoners, who manage to arm themselves. For some reason, the prisoners are concerned for the Supreme Court justice's (she was there to witness the execution) safety, and risk their own lives to protect her, when they can be trying to escape.

Seagal (who wears a black bandana for most of the movie) doesn't really have the skills to pull off a buddy movie. He just doesn't have the charisma for it and he doesn't really have any chemistry with his co star. Seagal's sole contribution to the movie is to look very serious and intimidating, in close-ups, that are carefully framed to hide his double chin. This is how he is framed for the majority of the movie. The man looks bored, tired, and possibly even depressed.

Unlike Ticker, this is heavy on its action, some of it is ludicrous, and defies physic, but some of it is well done. It's funny to see Seagal lightly jog away from machine gun fire. Sadly, he doesn't jump out of the way, he jogs in a straight line. Meanwhile, the bullets never catch up to him. Of those who do die, most (if not all) die bloodlessly. The bad guys have impeccable aim taking over the prison, then they basically, become storm troopers for the rest of the movie.

Tony Plana, Claudia Christian and Nia Peeples stand out in supporting roles, Matt Bataglia pops up too and spoiler is apparently killed from being kicked into a vending machine. If you don't know Bataglia, he is a former student of Burt Reynolds and his Institute and I always see him pop up in shows and movies now and again.

There is serious potential in this movie, but it just doesn't come together.

Half Past Dead opened in fifth place at the box office (the worst opening weekend ranking for a Seagal movie) and grossed $15 million dollars. To put that in perspective, over a decade prior when Seagal was an unknown, Above the Law earned $18 million in 1988 dollars.

15 years after his debut, Seagal's big screen career was over.
Ticker (2001)
You Can Not Really Blame The Director, But It Is Laughably Bad
6 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Ticker (2001)

Before I talk about this movie, I need to say director Albert Pyun hates this film and has publicly apologized for it several times. He says Nu Image suddenly cut off his funds 12 days into shooting before taking it from him and splicing it with archive footage before releasing it. Pyun has since made an unofficial release of his drastically different director's cut. I am pretty sure I watched the studio's release as it is awful. Shockingly bad so. With the cast, I was certainly expecting something more.

This is actually more of a Tom Siezemore vehicle than a Seagal one. He is easily the main character here. For an action movie, this is pretty light on action. Seagal filmed his scenes in 6 days. Which is 5 more than Dennis Hopper. Hopper was only on set for 1 day and never met Tom Sizemore, Steven Seagal or Jaime Pressly once on set. When his scenes were screened for him later, he declared it "a righteous day's work."

This is woefully bad, with the use of stock footage being laughably bad, Hopper having a weird Irish accent at times, some strange dubbing on Sizemore and Seagal, who's weight fluctuates a lot between scenes. For the first time, its obvious he is using a stand in for most of the action scenes.

Pyun originally recorded a commentary track for the DVD, in it he described how Nu Image had taken the film from him and edited into the "Steven Seagal action film" they wanted. Because of the heavy criticism towards them Nu Image and Artisan Entertainment edited and watered down his commentary.

Easily the worst movie in his filmography so far. Truthfully, if this isn't his worst film then I despair at the depths he has reached.
Exit Wounds (2001)
I Enjoyed It
5 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Exit Wounds (2001)

This was Seagal's return to movies after a three-year absence. It was a new Seagal - he slimmed down, updated his wardrobe, and ditched his ponytail. The film's initial budget was $25 million, but over shooting and re-shoots blew the cost out to $33 million.

Seagal is Orin Boyd an undisciplined, anger prone, law bending lone wolf, a maverick officer who is transferred to a troubled precinct after he single-handedly foils a bloody attempt by Michigan militants to assassinate the vice president of the United States.

Isaiah Washington offers solid support, Tom Arnold is fun in his small role, Eva Mendes is here, but she is not given much to do, Bill Duke has a small role too. Anthony Anderson is one annoying man, he seriously irritated me every time he was on screen.

One thing I didn't like was all the rap music and the bad guys had impeccable aim unless they aiming at Seagal

All in all, I did not mind it, it was an enjoyable way to pass the time on a lazy day.

Eva Mendes (who called this a "terrible movie") said her dialogue in this film was entirely re-dubbed by another actress. Mendes says she learned of this when she attended the premier with her family and realized "...Something was wrong. Something was just off." She says the producer later explained to her that her voice was replaced because she "didn't sound intelligent enough." Mendes told Jon Stewart on The Daily Show (1996), "A Steven Seagal film, and I didn't sound intelligent enough?!"

DMX did not enjoy working with Steven Seagal, describing him as a "dickhead".

Exit Wounds opened at number 1 (beating Enemy At The Gates) and grossed $51 million at the domestic box office.
The Patriot (1998)
Amazingly Bad
1 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to

The Patriot (1998)

Following his split from Warner Bros, Segal's business partner, Jules Nasso, put together a four-picture deal for Seagal. This was the first film that the financing had been solely raised by Seagal/Nasso Productions. There were no company logos, just Inter light Pictures and Baldwin/Cohen Productions present in association with Seagal/Nasso Productions

Apparently Seagal thought audiences were paying to see his movies for his acting ability, so he tries to show case that here as Doctor Wesley McClaren and its pretty embarrassing when he does try to do some serious acting. Like attempting to portray frustration as the soldiers die despite his best effortsnto save them.

I have to say, for me, this is the first bad movie in his filmography. Seagal adopts a really bad Western accent here. When combined with his trademark whispery voice, half the time I could not make out what he was saying. I'm the end I had to put the Subtitles.

Most of this movie is so moronic and implausible it beggers disbelief. There is lots of easily spotted foreshadowing and screenplay 101's littered all the way through the movie. I did make it to the ridiculous end, though.

The Patriot was the first Steven Seagal movie to be released straight to video in most countries. In just 10 years he had gone from promising action star to straight to video.
Enjoyable
1 July 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Fire Down Below (1997)

Another one I was pleasantly surprised by. This has a slower pace and less action than most Seagal movies, although there are some first fights and a few gunfights as the pace picks up as we head towards the finale.

Seagal plays Jack Taggart plays an Environmental Protection Agent who for the most part only fights in self-defense, although toward the end he attacks a few people out of anger.

The only complaint I have is with his ridiculous wardrobe. He wears long leather jackets (mostly fringed) Sometimes these leather muumuus have colored stripes on them. They are ludicrous, I had noticed this creeping into his movies, as his wardrobe has became sillier, but this takes the biscuit.

This is Seagal's sophomore attempt at making an environmental statement (On Deadly Ground being the first), this film can also be noted for Seagal trying to lighten up by smiling a bit more (he's always so serious) and picking up a guitar and jamming with a country band.

Harry Dean Stanton, Marg Helgenberger and Brad Hunt are all solid support

Even though it moved at a slower pace, the movie has everything one expects from a Seagal film, including the scenes where locals tell him all about how they're going to badly beat him, and next thing everybody's on the floor bleeding and with broken bones, and Seagal is the last man standing without a scratch. It also has a shoot out with some goons towards the end and Seagal is forced to kill some people in self defence.

In this one, the bad guys are stereotypical Seagal villains who can't figure out that if the last ten guys couldn't beat up Seagal, they should choose not to fight. There's the smooth, corrupt businessman (Kris Krisstofersson, an actor I always like seeing on screen) who, when his own men can't get the job done, tries to kill him, but obviously didn't pay attention to the outcome of all of the other fights. And of course there's a woman who has to be protected/rescued from the bad guys

All in all, there is a bit more to it, than a typical Steven Seagal movie, even if it hits all the same beats along the way to its finale.

Warner Bros. wanted to make sure that the movie had the same fast pace and short running time like all the other Seagal films he made for them, so just like they did with all of those films, they heavily re-edited the movie and deleted lot of the plot and character scenes. But they bizarrely also removed several big action sequences on which much of the $60 million budget was spent on.

Fire Down Below opened at number 1 (Dethroning Air Force One) at the domestic Box Office with a $6 million opening weekend gross, but then it dropped like a stone and did no business. It only grossed grossed $16 million (on an $45 million budget) to end 1997 as the 95th highest grossing movie of the year.

This was the lowest-grossing movie of Seagal's career to date.

The box office results of this movie caused Seagal's multi-picture contract with Warner Bros. Pictures to be cancelled. However, he would work with them one last time for Exit Wounds in 2001
It Has Been Done Before, And Better, But I Enjoyed It
30 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to The Glimmer Man (1996)

I was not looking forward to watching this, from the minute I watched the trailer!! It just looked like another cop buddy movie where a white and black cop are partners and they mostly don't get along but manage to bond and solve the crime by the end of the movie. Nothing original, just recycled from countless other movies!! But I have to say, I wad wrong and I really enjoyed this one.

Ok, it follows the same forumula as the other buddy cop movies mixed in with your usual Steven Seagal formula, but there was a lot to enjoy, I laughed in all the right places and even jumped once too.

Seagal is Jack Cole a bead wearing Budhist, whose religious beliefs are at odds with his killer instincts. Keenan Ivory Wyams is his new partner, he got all the best laughs and he played off Seagal well.

After the film was completed, Warner Brothers conducted additional editing on the film to make it faster, and more like a regular Steven Seagal movie.

According to Stephen Tobolowsky, Steven Seagal wanted to change the scene in which Cole (Seagal) kills Maynard (Tobolowsky). Due to his new spiritual beliefs, Seagal did not want to kill villains in his movies anymore. Tobolowsky convinced Seagal that Maynard would be able to be reincarnated and redeemed by being killed. Seagal agreed, and the scene was filmed as written. But a few months later, Seagal wanted to change the scene, to show that Maynard survived the shooting. Tobolowsky was brought in to overdub lines to indicate that Maynard was still alive. But this was not used in the final cut.

The Glimmer Man opened at number 2 (The First Wives held on to the top spot) at the domestic Box Office and grossed $20million (on an $45 million budget) to end 1996 as the 81st highest grossing movie of the year. Again a Van Damme Movie outgrossed a Seagal one, this time The Quest.

It's a shame this did not find an audience as I think it's better than its box office and it's trailer suggests.
Predictable & Ridiculous Ending Does Not Spoil The Fun
30 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Executive Decision (1996)

Kurt Russell has been a bit hit and miss the last decade and a half, but back in the mid 1990's he was a very reliable actor and he is solid here.

Halle Berry (in her first $1million dollar role, but still four years before she hit the big time with X-Men) was the best she had been at this point.

John Leguizamo is reliable as always in his supporting role. Oliver Platt, who seems to have disappeared over the years was solid support too, as was Joe Morton and JT Walsh.

I remember seeing this for the first time, the biggest surprise to me at least was Seagal dying like he did. At that time, any movie prepared to kill off Seagal in the first 20 minutes is prepared for anything, so It immediately grabbed my attention. As much as he resented filming his death scene, he at least puts more life into his performance than Under Siege 2.

It is slightly over the top, more than a little unrealistic and more than a bit predictable at times too. When it is nine minutes in, and you see the main character learning how to fly and land an airplane, you know it will come back up later (probably the finale) in the movie. The ending is so preposterous it almost kind of ruins what came before it!! All that said, I really enjoyed it a lot. I'd rank this as Seagal's second best movie, with Under Siege being his best.

Director Stuart Baird has directed a movie that is suspenseful, with a good pace and has really atmosphere, it makes for great entertainment. I'm surprised he only directed 2 more movies.

Executive Decision opened at number 2 (The Robin Williams comedy The Birdcage was number 1) at the domestic Box Office and grossed $56 million (on a $60 million budget) to end 1996 as the 26th highest grossing movie of the year.
Seagal's Is Sleepwalking
30 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to Under Siege 2 (1995)

Seagal's is back playing Casey Rybeck, sadly his performance is lifeless and he is sleepwalking. Reading up on it this movie I found out he was going through a divorce at the time, maybe that explains why he looks like he does not want to be there.

Katherine Heigel plays his niece, this was before everyone decided they hated her, and she does an ok job.

The bad guys this time are dull and bland in comparison to Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey, But are serviceable enough for a routine action flick.

I found this video of Katherine Heigl talking about working with Seagal, and it includes a photo of him groping her boob.

Under Siege 2 opened at number 2 (his first movie not to open at number 1) at the domestic Box Office and grossed $50 million (on a $60 million budget) to end 1995 as the 36th highest grossing movie of the year.
A Love Letter To His Own Ego
29 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to

On Deadly Ground (1994)

Following on from Under Siege, Seagal was at the height of his popularity and had the pick of projects. He made a deal with Warner Bros, if they financed this movie, he would make a more commercial movie for them, namely Under Siege 2.

I actually didn't hate this movie. It's preachy, silly and more than a tad ridiculous, but it was a perfectly fine action flick. It's a bit of a love letter to Seagal's own ego, as everyone constantly talks about how great he is, it happened that often it became a joke with me and me son.

Michael Cain (with a bad dye job) is in full pantomime villain mode, John C McGinley is always great and Billy Bob Thornton has a small role too.

It actually felt considerably longer than it's 100 minute run time.

When Danish actor Sven-Ole Thorsen (frequent Arnold co star) met Seagal on the set, Seagal asked Thorsen to kick him, to show what Thorsen was capable of. Thorsen hesitantly kicked Seagal, who caught his leg and threw him to the ground. Seagal asked Thorsen to kick him again, giving it his best shot. Thorsen kicked Seagal as fast and hard as he could, and Seagal fell to the ground. When shooting a scene together a day later, Seagal hit Thorsen in the throat, leaving Thorsen unconscious for three or four seconds. Seagal decided that Thorsen's character had died, and his remaining scenes were cut from this movie.

Seagal filmed almost forty minutes of footage for the environmental message at the end of this movie, and planned to use it all in the final cut. After pressure from Warner Brothers, and a disastrous preview screening, he cut it to eleven minutes, after more pressure, Seagal are edited the final scene down to about seven minutes.

On Deadly Ground opened at number 1 at the domestic Box Office (his 6th in a row) and grossed $38 million (on a $50 million budget) to end 1994 as the 37th highest grossing movie of the year. This was the first time a Seagal movie did not recoup its budget at the domestic box office. It was also the first time a Van Damme movie (Timecop) outgrossed a Seagal one.
Under Siege (1992)
Easily Seagal's Best Movie
29 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to his most successful movie Under Siege (1992)

Seagal, minus his trademark ponytail delivers his strongest performance so far. Considering he is the main star, and the only face on the poster he is only onscreen for 41 minutes

As is usually the case, Tommy Lee Jones simply steals the show he is superb, vile and deliriously insane

Gary Busey is wonderfully over the top and my own personal favourite Baywatch babe Erika Elaniak is Miss July 1989 Jordan Tate an awfully cliche character who is given awful things to say like "I have two rules. I do not date musicians and I do not kill people" and "He is in a gunfight, you'll have to leave a message"

I think this is great, easily his best movie it's just so much fun. Andrew Davis is not a director I hear people talking about often, but he has an impressive body of work:Code Of Silence is one of the best movies Chuck Norris made, The Package was a terrific Gene Hackman thriller, and he directed Seagal's debut in Above The Law. After this he would direct Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive, Arnold in Collateral Damage and Kevin Costner in The Guardian.

Under Siege opened at number 1 at the domestic Box Office (his 5th in a row) and grossed $83 million (on a $35 million budget) to end 1992 as the 13th highest grossing movie of the year.

Seagal really looked like he was on his way to becoming an A List Action star.
Was He Imitating Brando?
27 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to his fourth movie Out For Justice (1991)

What is with all the 3 word titles in Seagal movies?? Seagal is playing a different character here, Gino Felipo is more talkative than the usual Seagal character, but he dresses the same, is sensitive (he rescues a puppy) loved to talk about the old days in the neighbourhood and is as deadly as ever. His accent is not the best, but its not as bad as people say. I think he is trying to imitate Marlon Brando. Dare I say it, he already looks a tad heavier here too. Something I probably would not have noticed, had I not just watched his previous 3 movies in 24 hours.

This movie has a really strong supporting cast William Forsythe is the main bad guy this time. He is a good actor and has a certain unpredictability about himself, but you never feel like Seagal is in danger from him and the final fight lacks intensity as a result. Gina Gershon (someone I had a huge crush on back then) has small role, about the same as her turns in Red Heat and Cocktail. The great Jerry Orbach is here too.

The movie was originally 30 minutes longer, Warner Bros. brought in editor Michael Eliot to re-edit the original cut of the movie so that it could be shorter and more profitable on box office. This is why there are two montage scenes with no dialogue. Also, Seagal then cut some of Forsythe's scenes because he felt that Forsythe was upstaging him

Directed by John Flynn (who had just directed Sly Stallone in Lock Up) this has a bigger budget ($14 million) than any of his previous movies, but it actually looks cheaper than all of them. There is plenty of fighting in a meat shop and a pool hall, but the movies moves at a snails pace when he was talking about the old days, which he does a lot. Unlike his previous movies, he shoots a lot of people instead of kicking their ass.

Flynn later recalled "I really liked working with Bill Forsythe and Jerry Orbach and all those guys in the car who played the killers. But I didn't get along with Steven. He was always about an hour late for work and caused a lot of delays with his behaviour"

A little behind the scenes story, according to Forsythe, Seagal told Forsythe, "You really need to work on your Brooklyn accent." Forsythe, a Brooklyn native, replied, "Trust me, YOU do." During the filming of the showdown between Gino and Richie, Seagal broke Forsythe's front tooth when he shoved his face into a brick wall.

Julianna Marguiles was cast specifically by Seagal for her role in this film, but she didn't enjoy working with him at all. She later said in an interview that she used to see Seagal working on projects for Warner Brothers while she was a regular on ER, and he would always say "Marguiles, come over here and show me some respect". She said "he's not someone I want to keep in contact with."

This movie brings back some good memories for me and is another solid Seagal action film from the 90's, I really enjoyed it.

Out For Justice opened at number 1 at the domestic Box Office (his 4th in a row) and grossed $39 million (on a $14 million budget) to end 1990 as the 32nd highest grossing movie of the year.
I Liked It
27 June 2019
Continuing my plan to watch every Steven Seagal movie in order I come to his third movie Marked For Death (1990)

I got a surprise as soon as the DVD started playing, I thought all of his movies were produced by Warner Bros during 88-95, but this was by 20th Century Fox

Seagal continues to play the same character he played in Above the Law and Hard to Kill. This time he is John Hatcher a DEA agent, who dresses in black, loves his family, is soft-spoken, has good morals, goes to church and is a martial arts master who you do not want to upset.

I know have seen this before, as I was in Germany at the time, but as it was unfolding I didn't remember it. And I'm glad I didn't, as I thought the castration/decapitation killing was cool, but a tad anti climactic, so I didn't see the twist coming and I liked it.

There are some great bone-crushing sound effects. Seagal loved to break a wrist lol

The bad guys this time are Jamaican drug dealers who are invading Seagal's old neighbourhood. The main bad guy Screwface was suitably intimidating and easily Seagal's scariest opponent to date. Seagal is helped (as much as he needs help) by a couple of friends (one of whom is the under rated and always brilliant Kieth David) and a woman seems important when we first meet her, only to have her pop in in one of two more scenes.

I think my DVD was edited as certain parts do not flow right.

All in all, it is another solid Seagal action film, I enjoyed it.

Seagal lost a labor dispute regarding the film's script. In a case brought before the Writers Guild of America, Seagal sought full credit for the script, claiming that he had rewritten 93 percent of the original draft. However, the Guild ruled against him.

Marked For Death opened at number 1 at the domestic Box Office (his 3rd in a row) and grossed $46 million (on a $10 million budget) to end 1990 as the 27th highest grossing movie of the year.