Reviews

Couldn't be worse
31 October 2018
Anyone that could sit through more than 10 minutes of this disgrace deserves an audience award.

Anyone that laughs at even one line of this drek of a screenplay deserves free lifetime audience tickets to Fox News

Paul Middleditch (director), and Chris Matheson (writer) should be escorted out of Hollywood by a heavily armed security force, with a one way ticket to Bollywood.

Anna Kendrick should seek immediate psychiatric aid for accepting this role, which amazingly even she had no chance of saving. (we won't even speak of Craig Robinson, and the lines he was forced to recite). Ever see Anna Kendrick absolutely lost in a role? Watch this mess.

Bottom line here is: Even if Will Ferrell was cast as the Beast (devil), this flick would never have worked. It was too poorly written. (However, he should have been in that part if it had a well written script; it was perfect for him).

I promise you that if you have an IQ over 60, you will absolutely HATE this 'thing' (movie). Perhaps one of the worst written, worst directed, worst acted, pieces of garbage that has ever flashed before my eyes. I was so embarrassed for the cast, I was red faced watching it.

Do I recommend seeing it? LOL
Could have been great
12 August 2018
First a few reasons why this movie failed: The director spent way too much time seeing the world through the eyes of a 99% blind woman. That meant that 20% of the film was a blurry colorful mess, because all she could see was light and colorful mush.

The sex was overdone, and felt gratuitous and forced. Foster tried to get Lively to show as much of her naked body as possible, and actually resorted to a body double at one point. We all know that Blake Lively isn't going to get naked for any director, until she is well into her forties when no one will care anyway. So goes the modest Hollywood actress.

Key twist and plot occurrences were under-played and vague, and the editing in general left plenty to be desired. The sad part is, Foster actually had a goldmine on his hands if this movie was done right. The story is very unique: A young blind woman that's never seen her husband, and has never seen what he does when she is unattended, suddenly, through new surgery, regains most of her sight, and eventually gets to "see" the real life she has been living, and the man she trusted as her partner, may not have been the hero she thought he was.

On the bright side, this movie even as badly directed as it was, was beautifully shot, and some of the locations were gorgeous. If you could sit through the boredom of Foster's directing, you would find a real movie, and a great story worthy of a better job. I still am giving it 7 out of 10, because it was such a unique concept, just poorly executed.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Westworld: The Passenger (2018)
Season 2, Episode 10
Worst season finale in the history of season finales
25 June 2018
Westworld lovers, Don't vote this garbage episode up because you think you're smart and can keep up with this drug induced, delusional garbage episode that was supposed to pull it all together, and make you feel like you didn't waste your Spring Sunday nights in vein. Because, YOU DID. This episode is as bad as the series finale episode of Dexter on Showtime was, AND YOU KNOW IT. In fact: IT's WORSE! There was such pointless, uninspired Mumbo Jumbo in the dialog, you'd have to be Albert Einstein on meth reincarnated to follow it.

hen the voodoo with Delores coming back as Charlotte Hale, and then the two of them together at the end setting up "all the work" she, it,them has to do, was such stupid and lazy writing, I actually burst out laughing while watching it.

Don't you know when you are being treated like an idiot? The producers are saying to you: "We can have Delores, Ford, or any other character start flying around in a Spider-rman suit, and you'd buy it. You are being abused and used for laughs by the writers, because of your 'ever accepting love' for this series.

Don't lick Nolan's rectum when he doesn't deserve it. Between the INSANE editing, reckless, ridiculous story-line, that only worked in two episodes: "The Riddle of the Sphinx", (TRULY GREAT), and the season finale from last year: "The Bicameral Mind" ...Westworld got lost.

This Westworld season finale disaster, is just that: a DISASTER. PERIOD. Live with it. Wake up! "Don't cease all motor functions".....please!
70 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Time with Bill Maher: Episode #16.20 (2018)
Season 16, Episode 20
Both interviews were garbage, and rediculous
23 June 2018
Colion Noir. A missed opportunity for Maher to put the NRA "away". Instead he licked Noir's rectum, and acted like an advocate.

One segment in particular was disappointing: Noir wanted to arm all the teachers. Maher's best response was: "No... because they're teachers". Gee, Bill, how about: If there weren't sick, mentally disturbed kids walking into schools with guns so easily obtained in some cases by their equally mentally disturbed friends and family, and killing everyone, we wouldn't need to arm 'anybody'.

The entire interview could have been better served by a sixth grader, because Maher was too busy telling us he "does any drugs he can get his hands on".

We all know Maher is, as he puts it: a "Drug Nut". However, keep it to yourself Bill, (enjoy your drugs) but, gain some respect from those that use your own words to destroy your credibility. Your drug comedy lines are great for your close friends, but for the conservative right that we are trying to pull over to the left a bit, they are much more scary than funny. Do your drugs Bill, just leave them home when you come to work. Trump trumps the drug issues.

The Micheal Pollen interview gave the conservatives additional ammo on why what Maher says "means nothing", because he just can't keep his love for drugs out of the conversations here. How can someone be so smart, and be so ignorant at the same time?

And finally: A semi automatic weapon is not "all weapons that shoot one bullet when the trigger is pulled one time". You were conned by Colion Noir. Your social ineptitude, is only overridden by your bewildering ignorance.

A semi automatic weapon is a pistol, or rifle, that automatically loads a round into the chamber to be fired instantly as fast as you can pull the trigger. This action is caused by the 'opposite, and equal reaction' of the first round fired, by throwing the slide back, and automatically loading a round from the magazine into the chamber, while keeping the hammer back and ready for an instant repeat. Thus the term: "Semi" automatic.

A revolver fires one round every time you pull the trigger, however, it's certainly NOT a semi-automatic weapon. Extreme pressure must be applied to the trigger with a revolver to turn the cylinder into place, so another round may be set in place to fire. The semi-automatic weapon will fire with almost "zero pressure" on the trigger, and thus fires much more rapidly. Only a "complete moron" wouldn't do his homework before interviewing the NRA gun 'con-artist' you decided to have as your first guest.

Here's a positive thought for Maher. I won't be pestering him with negative reviews any longer, because I am canceling HBO for allowing this nonsense to happen in the first place.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Time with Bill Maher: Episode #16.19 (2018)
Season 16, Episode 19
This episode took guts
18 June 2018
I promised myself off of this show months ago, but I peek in from time to time to see if it has improved.

Aside from the first wasted 20 minutes with the ego maniac, bad wigged and hasn't cracked a smile since birth.... George Will, this show had guts. I don't know why Maher was waiting 25 years to interview this conceded deadbeat, but I guess that can be another review, in and of itself another time.

I'm always cutting Maher's show in these reviews, and in all fairness, I must give it up for a show (mainly Maher's words, his panel was less than interesting) where Maher "told it like it is" in his epilogue of "New Rules". It's not easy to talk about our Police in a direct, factual and honest appraisal.....but he did, and I give him big kudos and renewed respect, for having the kahunas to do it. Way to go Bill...they deserved it...even the good ones, for "not reporting" the slime-ball bad ones they work with.

In my opinion, it's like buying a gun. You want one?, then pass a sanity test to be approved. Same with Cops. You want to be a Police Officer? Then prove you are mentally fit to protect and serve.

Best new rules segment in the history of this show.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted effort
9 April 2018
All the actors, except Warren Beatty were excellent in their roles, especially Lily Collins, Alden Ehrenreich, and Mathew Broderick.

Warren's performance was by far the worst Howard Hughes portrayal in the history of actors portraying Howard Hughes. He had no chance to compete with the likes of Tommy Lee Jones, and Leonardo DiCaprio, and he is way to old to play the young Hughes as well as the old Hughes. We ended up with Warren being Warren. Not Warren being Howard Hughes.

Perhaps Warren felt he had made a mistake in the 70s when he turned down the role of Hughes, and it ended up going to Tommy Lee Jones, which made Jones' career. However, he waited too many years for the inspiration to write himself into a Howard Hughes screenplay as Howard Hughes.

Also, (and most importantly) why write a "fictional" story about a man whose real life adventures are so much more interesting and complex then this convoluted drek we are given in this disaster of a screenplay? The entire effort was wasted, and sadly, there are many younger viewers unaware about Howard Hughes' life, that will interpret this nonsense as a biography of the man.

The movie might have worked a little better if the story centered around Collin's and Ehrenreich's characters, and Hughes was just in the background. However, no matter how Beatty wants to market or advertise this mess, make no mistake, it's all about Howard Hughes, and Warren's poor and fictional portrayal of him.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst big budget movie ever made
15 March 2018
I loved the 1st one, so the other day I bought the Blu-ray of this one, because I never saw it.

Simply put: If an 8 year old was told to write this script, and then an adult came along and corrected the grammar and spelling errors, but left everything else the child wrote 'as is', the result would be this script. Now, to add spice to the mix, get a 5 year old to direct it, and a 6 year old to edit it. "This movie would be the result of that plan".

If my name was Linda Woolverton, I would commit suicide, rather than admit my name was Linda Woolverton.

If my name was James Bobin, I would ban myself from Hollywood for eternity, and then commit suicide.

I'm not rating the movie, because there is nothing lower than a 1 I can rate it here. It deserves a minus 10. I fell asleep 4 times while trying to watch this 'thing'. 3 times from boredom, and the 4th time from attempting suicide on myself for having purchased this Blu-ray.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Time with Bill Maher: Episode #16.2 (2018)
Season 16, Episode 2
Garbage, and I HATE Trump
27 January 2018
Maher is over the top again this week with his ego and being rude to guests. I don't know why he bothers inviting anyone on in the first place, because they can't get a word in.

He reminds me of a blowhard from the 70s on cocaine. You start your sentence, and then he finishes it. "The show should be called "The World According to Bill Maher".

Then poor Zooey Deschanel comes on to talk about food, and he interrupts almost every sentence with his opinion. I haven't seen him be that rude to a back end guest EVER. He really needs to have his producer give him a reality check.

I promised myself I wasn't going to watch the A-hole anymore, after his stint on Episode #15.18 with Ice Cube. I broke my promise last night, and watched this crappola show. NEVER again.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Siren (III) (2010)
Now I get it
28 December 2017
I've always found actress Teresa Srbova extremely attractive, so when I found this flick playing on satellite one evening, and saw her in the cast, I had to watch it.

I thought the cinematography was great, but the story was non existent. I was disappointed and gave it a low rating here. Then years later, I found the DVD at a swap meet for $1.00 and thought it would be fun to watch it again.

After the movie was completed, I felt the same way I did the first time until I played the deleted scenes. There is a long deleted scene in special features where Silka (Srbova) is explaining the entire reason for everything happening on the island to the other female lead. I was dumbfounded why that scene was taken out of the flick, because it actually would have saved the movie.

Then interesting enough, I decided to try and reach Andrew Hull (director) to ask him why he removed the most important scene in the movie. It turns out that Andrew Hull was killed in May 2010 in a bicycle accident, and the movie was picked up later by Lionsgate in October 2010. It was messed with, released in March, 2011, and the final edit is nothing like Andrew Hull probably would have finished it.

Who the heck knows who did the final cut of this film. All I can tell you is : if this key scene wasn't removed from this movie by whomever, this film would be sitting here with a much higher rating than it is. Editing tells the story of a film. Too bad for Andrew Hull, that he died before he had the chance to piece his movie together for a final edit that might have told the story he originally had in mind.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: Blue Pages (2017)
Season 1, Episode 10
Certainly not the Pilot
8 October 2017
I can't say this episode wasn't done well, however, it doesn't even vaguely resemble the pilot, or any of the episodes since, except last week's episode also directed by Adam Arkin.

Are the writers bi-polar? Did the Epix brass instruct the writers and director to take the series 180 degrees from a dry comedy to a serious gangster show? Did Adam Arkin take it upon himself to eliminate all comedy from the last two episodes, by exchanging laughs for death, and tears of joy for tears of sadness and pools of blood? Or, is no one in charge of this flip flop series, and each director makes his/her own version of Get Shorty when it's their turn?

If the show continues down this serious path next season, I'll leave the reviews for those that love serious gangster shows, and can review this series with enthusiasm. However, considering the obvious comedic structure of the subject matter, I don't see how it can continue to inspire serious gangster fans.

As for myself, I was more than just fine with the tone that was set with the pilot: "The Pitch", that got me hooked on this series in the first place, and I will discontinue viewing this series unless it gets back on the pilot's path.

What these last two episodes have done, is left me not caring "at all" what the next episode is about. Bottom line, it is a terrible season finale, especially if you were expecting the usual Get Shorty laughs.

The name of this series should be: "Pot Luck", because you never know what version you're going to get.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: Turnaround (2017)
Season 1, Episode 9
Get Shorty - Gets Serious
5 October 2017
After two well directed shows back to back, the series is handed over to Adam Arkin for two weeks. Obviously, each director this show utilizes to try and complete its first season has a completely different take on what makes this show tick.

I'm not saying that Arkin is a bad director. He directed the segment with no comedy, and some others before him directed their segments with plenty of comedy. It really does come down to the director....not the script. I'm sure all the directors are handed a serious script with implied lightheartedness. It's the directors job to pull it off.

Arkin took the events in the script, and filmed an episode of Scarface. Nice job if Get Shorty was Scarface.

Get Shorty is a comedy. All of the highest rated shows this first season were shot by directors that implemented even the most violent scenes with humor. You can't expect this series to succeed if no one likes the characters. A viewer can't like the lead characters, if they're all cold blooded killers with no redeeming qualities.

This show has only two likable characters: Shorty and her mother. If all of the directors aren't on the same page as to what they are filming, the next season that Epix has already signed on for will be the last.

Comedic violence and some compassion, forgives the fact that Sean Bridgers and Chris O'Dowd are hit men. The show must never take itself as seriously as it did this episode, or it will fail. Ray Romano can only do so much to add levity to this series. The comedic aspect must be the tone set by each director.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: Shot on Location (2017)
Season 1, Episode 8
Classic Cliffhanger with laughs
27 September 2017
This weeks director (same as last week's), had to carefully thread the needle between comedy and deadly drama against a backdrop of a movie being shot that is so bad, the only way Miles was able to get it into production was to blackmail two of the studio executives.

He did a great job. I was a bit disappointed at first with the abrupt ending, but then realized it was the only way to move the story along without it getting too serious.

There were some really creative and comical scenes involving the planned but botched killing of the lead actress, the attack on the van with high powered rifles carrying the lead actor, and the usual shenanigans that keep this series top notch.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dexter: Remember the Monsters? (2013)
Season 8, Episode 12
Drekster
27 September 2017
I own the series on Blu-ray, and have watched season (8) at least 5 times. Perhaps I'm trying to justify the last episode in some logical terms I can deal with, because Dexter was my all time favorite Showtime series.

The best scene in "Remember the Monsters" is when Hannah is on the bus and gets confronted by Elway. He gives her his: "This is what's going to happen" bit, then she sticks him with a paralyzing injection in the leg, and repeats his exact words back at him. That was "great writing".

Unfortunately, what follows in this final episode, may be the absolute worst writing in cable/Satellite television history. The writers were cramped in a think tank probably snorting coke or meth, and when the drugs ran out, so did the ideas.

If we play make believe, and take the episode to the spot where Batista catches Saxon in the hospital with Dexter's help, here is how it could have concluded:

I wouldn't have reunited Debra with Quinn. He was a loser from day one, and Debra deserved better than him.

Debra's condition is stable, and we get to imagine that she recovers...or not. Dexter can still visit the jail and kill Oliver Saxton. I personally liked that scene. I would have liked to have seen "dirty cop" Quinn get his justice. Perhaps Dexter discovers evidence while planning his exit from Miami that Quinn removed the blood of Isaak Sirko from the evidence room, and has one more deed to do before leaving town. Dexter doesn't necessarily need to kill Quin, but he could have made sure he was busted. This could have been the revealing turning point to prove Dexter wasn't the same Dexter any longer, and perhaps deserved his new life in Argentina.

The next to last scene could have involved the hurricane, and Dexter trying to get out of Miami on his boat before it was too late, including some suspense whether or not he made it. Then the viewers could have filled in the blanks to suit their fancy.

The last scene in the show should have been Hannah and Harrison in Argentina hopefully awaiting Dexter's arrival. THE END.

Instead, what we were given was a drug induced compromise of how that series should have ended, by a group of burned out writers that had different opinions, and unfortunately left the Dexter fan's feelings, along with any logic, out of the final equation.

Perhaps the absolute worst series finale in TV cinema history.

The lumberjack idea came out of one of the talent-less writers proposing the idea to put Dexter in a situation that was as far from being a forensic crime scene investigator as possible. Showtime producers didn't want to kill Dexter off, so to live with the Hurricane boat wreckage fiasco, they agreed to the last scene with him as an alive lumberjack, rather than a drowned suicide loser.

Personally, I think he is a bigger loser living as a lumberjack with the woman he loves waiting for him, and his only son needing in him his life.....abandoned by his father.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nero Wolfe Mystery: Disguise for Murder (2001)
Season 1, Episode 7
The disguise needed help
21 September 2017
I love this series. It outclasses any other TV mystery show by a wide margin. It is an extremely well done series which utilizes the ensemble cast system, with most of the troop playing in each episode, and everyone is a new character in each, except for the central characters.

However, this is my least favorite episode. Not for the original Rex Stout story, but for A&E's implementation of it. It all comes down to Debra Monk being the absolute worst woman in a man's disguise in cinema history. Her disguise is simply a fake mustache, men's clothing and a men's 50's fedora, and her imitation of a man's voice is laughable.

Still...it is a Nero Wolfe episode, and since everything else except the victim's description of her killer is up to par, it's still better than anything else TV had to offer at the beginning of the millennium....or since.

However the fact that Mr. Wolfe would ever have 200 people rummaging through his plant room, and at his invitation no less, is complete 'flummery'.

So, 7 out of 10 stars. My lowest Nero Wolfe rating ever.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: Grace Under Pressure (2017)
Season 1, Episode 7
Back with a vengeance...
17 September 2017
This series goes from The Exorcist to Meatballs from week to week, depending on who's directing. This week the show returned to the original former comedy brilliance of the pilot.

This episode was directed by Daniel Attias, and he also directed next week's show, so I'm expecting the same level of the perfect mix of funny and serious, the ingredients of dark comedy.

Nice job this week Daniel, of blending all the elements of a complex story, comedy about a subject not usually associated with it, and not taking itself so serious that it ruins the original theme of being as interesting as it is funny. Keep it up!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Time with Bill Maher: Episode #15.18 (2017)
Season 15, Episode 18
Pitiful
15 September 2017
The entire show prior to Ice Cube's appearance was completely negated, once the self proclaimed speaker for the entire African American community arrived, and spanked Maher for a comment he had already apologized for many times.

It was a pitiful, and painful scene to watch Maher all squirmed down in his chair taking a worse beating than he ever imposed on those he may have offended with his 'off color N word' remark.

The time would have been better spent discussing the use of the N word by African Americans to describe themselves, if they ever expect the rest of the world to eliminate the word from the English language.

Personally, I have heard the word enough.....from 'both colors'.

This episode was a 'show stopper' for me. Knowing all that Maher has done to help the black community, this show completely ended my Realtime love affair, and I'll never tune in again.
The Deuce (2017– )
Why?
11 September 2017
Who needs this drek?? Whoever sold this garbage idea to HBO should be given the salesman of the year award.

With all the wonders of life there are to explore with the technology of film and sound, why would anyone want to visit a slime crime dirty New York city in the 70s, centered around filth, low rent prostitutes, and gutter rat characters?

We all worked really hard in those days to get the hell out of that environment. No thanks HBO...I don't ever want to go back. Not even to look.

I lasted under 30 minutes before the remote control made its way into my hand, begging me to change the channel.

If you like trash, you will love this.
41 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nero Wolfe Mystery: Christmas Party (2001)
Season 1, Episode 9
One of my favorite episodes...
11 September 2017
If I had to pick one of the 28 episodes of Nero Wolfe as my favorite, it would be very difficult, however, a top contender would be "The Christmas Party". Perhaps it's the fact that Nero dresses as Santa Claus, after playing "Bah Humbug" with Archie, and Fritz when they showed some Xmas spirit. Or, perhaps I really find Francie Swift attractive, and she is especially beautiful in this episode.

Or, maybe it's just a great episode. Either way, if you are deciding on a sample Nero Wolfe episode to watch, to see if you may want to purchase the DVD sets, this would be a great candidate.

Nero Wolfe in my humble opinion is one of the top 5 TV series in cinema history, and it's a damn shame A&E dumped it after two seasons, so they could cater to the Millennium generation. Wolfe was one of the highest rated TV series when it was canceled by A&E at the conclusion of the second season.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: Epinephrine (2017)
Season 1, Episode 6
Has taken a new path..
11 September 2017
If one were to watch the Pilot: The Pitch, the viewer would be certain that he just watched a very clever dark comedy. As the series progressed, it had a few terrific episodes like: "From Stamos with Love", then something changed.

Last week, "Rewrite" took the show in a new direction, of which it hasn't cured itself of quite yet: 'It got serious'.

This weeks episode: 'Epinephrine', is much better than last week, when I thought I was watching "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre".

I still enjoy watching the series, however, not quite as much. That pilot had hit into something the series should never have grown away from: It was really uniquely funny. It has now left all that behind, and has taken the mobster route as its main highway.

Still an interesting series, but not living up to the potential of the Pilot. This season is all in the can, and what is there is what we will be seeing to its season finale. Perhaps if it gets picked up for another season, it may revert back to the clever comedy it once was.

Ray Romano is still there trying to add some levity to the show, as his character really can't help that, because he doesn't have a clue who he has gotten himself mixed up with, and his ignorance and reactions are still amusing. We'll see how long that lasts.

The series is still certainly worth watching....but for different reasons than it initially started out with.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alexander (2004)
Great Alexander...Horrible Movie
7 September 2017
Alexander truly was great, and this movie truly was horrible. It had a few moments that were bearable. When Alexander was preparing for the great battle with Darius, and his eagle was flying above, and he addressed his troops similar to how Mel Gibson did, as in Braveheart, it was hard not to be interested in the outcome, and the size of the spectacle to come.

If the rest of the movie had 1/10th as much going on for it, it may have been a success. But it wasn't to be. Instead Mr. Stone opted to go the route of vices, and emotion. He just couldn't 'imply' that the great Alexander was a homosexual, he had to explicitly 'show him' making out with his extremely gay boy lover that he plucked from his Harem in Babylon on more than one occasion.

Of course, if you were to believe all what you see, the entire Macedonian empire were bisexual rapists. Even if that were partially true, I think Alexander and his crew deserved the focus of his conquests be remembered and observed on what really mattered, and not to smother it with Stone reality.

As brilliant as Oliver Stone can be, and has been in the past, in this effort he couldn't see past his nose, and he made this potential history lesson overdoing everything, and focusing on twisted and miserable obsessions of humanity. His Alexander was a mama's boy, a cry baby, and had a 'serious daddy issue' as well. Perhaps Stone was writing about himself, because it's certainly not the Alexander the Great I read about in school.

The story of Alexander...the true story...we will never know, because the facts written by those closest to him were destroyed in the great fire of Alexandra. So, we are left with today's historian's best guesses, and Oliver Stones worst movie ever.

If you must watch it, I'm betting you turn it off before it's over. I tried to watch the Blu-ray on my giant HD screen, 4 times, before I actually got through it. Some of the worst directing in cinema history, and some great performances ruined because of it. If I could have rated it here below a 1, I would have.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: A Man of Letters (2017)
Season 1, Episode 5
Not quite as good...
4 September 2017
This episode of my new favorite series, isn't directed as well as some of the previous episodes. It lacks the timing, pacing, and lighthearted feeling of all of the previous episodes.

It also got way to serious for the comedy that it is. The director chucked the essence of the show, in order to...??? Even one of my favorite characters "Amara" wasn't herself.

Like any movie, or series episode, a change in director can make or it or break it. This time it was broken. I hope the series returns to its real potential again next week.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: From Stamos with Love (2017)
Season 1, Episode 4
Perfect Episode
28 August 2017
This may be one of the best episodes of the season to date, especially if you have been watching the previous episodes. You need the background of the preceding events to appreciate the situations.

Everything worked like a Swiss clock from scene to scene. This was an extremely clever episode.

I don't notice many folks voting here on this series, and I hope it's not for lack of appreciation for the great work, but rather perhaps it's on a network that doesn't have a giant distribution (Epix), or many subscribers.

I really think one of the problems adding to the lack of viewership, is the 'title': "Get Shorty". When I saw it the first few times in the guide, I thought Epix was playing the movie of the same name with John Travolta. A good movie, but not nearly as clever or well done as this series.

Potential viewers should also be aware that it is not the same story at all. The only thing this show has in common with the Travolta movie, is "mobsters, and a movie being made". The characters are nothing alike, and "Shorty" is the name of O'Dowd's daughter, whom he is trying to not lose contact with because he and his wife are separated. He loves Shorty dearly, and she is the driving force behind all of his efforts to end his mobster career.

GREAT series. I hope it's picked up for an additional season by Epix. As long as this series is playing on Epix, they can be sure of at least one customer...ME.

*Side note: Hats off to Daisy von Scherler Mayer for executing the 'best directing job' of the entire first season. (comment added 10-09-2017)
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snow Angels (I) (2007)
Poorly made
17 August 2017
Positives: The acting was very good. The locations feel real to the story. It does draw your interest, if not just for the performances.

Negatives: Terribly photographed, to the point of being dizzy from the shaky cam operator, that must have been hired in the parking lot of a Wal*Mart, somewhere, USA.

Terribly directed. You have a waitress mom separated from her husband who works with one of her best friends, whose husband she is sleeping with. Even after the cat is out of the bag, the adulterer is staying at the waitress mom's house, and her friend and the mom are either in scenes where they hate each other, or love each other. I think the friendship may have been over at that point....Ya think??

The mom's daughter goes missing because mom falls asleep on the couch when she is supposed to be attending to her daughter. Instead of combing the woods, the distraught mom is sitting in her house with a Police woman, while the entire town is out looking for her daughter. So dumb, I almost threw something at the screen. What physically fit, young loving mom wouldn't be out there looking for her child?

That is just two examples of the illogical path this film goes down, unfortunately there are many more of them. There is no logic at all to many of the well acted scenes.

That's what this movie is: A depressing well acted stupid movie, that could have worked, if the director would have read the novel objectively, before he wrote this mess of a script.

Bottom line: If you like the actors, enjoy depressing films with few likable characters, and you want to see them do really nice scenes that make no sense.......Watch this movie, however, don't expect any satisfaction from the ending.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty: The Pitch (2017)
Season 1, Episode 1
Strong First Episode
14 August 2017
This review is for the 1st episode only, named: "The Pitch": I was drawn into this show slowly, but solidly, to the point where I couldn't leave the TV to use the restroom, or get something to eat until the last bell had rung. It was truly the best series opener by another network other than HBO, I personally have ever viewed.

Chris O'Dowd has found a home here as the mobster with a lot more on the ball than your everyday hit-man. The rest of the cast is perfect, along with the cinematography, directing, and locations.

If this show keeps up this quality, and picks up an audience, I feel sorry for HBO come award season.

Put aside an hour and give this a look before it's off the schedule. I am extremely confident you will be very happy you did, and you'll be looking forward to the next episode as much as I was.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Shorty (2017– )
Extremely well done
13 August 2017
I couldn't find anything else to watch Sunday evening, and saw this being advertised on Epix, and gave it a look. It was the first series episode named: "The Pitch".

I was drawn into this show slowly, but solidly, to the point where I couldn't leave the TV to use the restroom, or get something to eat until the last bell had rung. It was truly the best series opener by a network other than HBO, I personally have ever viewed.

If this show picks up an audience, I feel sorry for HBO come award season.

Put aside an hour and give this a look. I am extremely confident you will be very happy you did, and you'll be looking forward to the next episode as much as I am.
55 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.