Reviews

1,225 Reviews
Great thriller
24 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"The Day of the Jackal" (1973) is a great thriller. Done in almost documentary style, this movie was involving for me from the first minute till credits start rolling. Its a very skillfully made thriller shown from both sides - from a hit man and his pursuers. The mystery of the hit man itself was other very interesting thing, and i loved the they kept a secret till end without any revelation - it feels more menacing.

Overall, "The Day of the Jackal" (1973) is a superb thriller that hold up highly well even now first time seeing it in 2019. A great thriller.
The Favourite (2018)
Great movie
22 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"The Favourite" (2018) is a period costume drama for those who usually do not like period costume dramas. The script, directing and acting were outstanding. The movie, at running time 1 h 55 min never dragged and was involving from start till finish. And the ending, the very last long scene was truly remarkable.

Overall, "The Favourite" is a superb period piece. Its not as good as "Barry Lyndon", but i enjoyed it more then any other costume period drama in recent memory.
Poor horror flick
19 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

I didn't expect much from "The Curse of La Llorona" (2019) to be honest from the get go. I just wanted to watch some at least OK horror movie on a Friday evening. For around 30 minutes or so this movie succeeded in being an pretty OK horror flick for a dull Friday evening in a movie theater, but eventually this movie did not turn our to be any good. It wasn't scary - and that pretty much says everything you want to know about horror movie. The flick also did not had any sense of humor - its not that is necessary, but for this particular movie it could have helped at least. Acting wasn't anything special to say the least, yet i liked Linda Cardellini's performance - she is the best thing about this boring and not scary flick.

Overall, "The Curse of La Llorona" (what a name!) is not scary, not thrilling and not involving movie. Even at running time 1 h 29 min it dragged and was a bit funny in a moments when it shouldn't have been. A poor flick overall.
6 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good drama
16 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"If Beale Street Could Talk" (2018) is a good movie drama. It has a good story, great acting and very solid writing as well as directing. If i would draw a comparison with "Moonlight" (2016), i would say i liked "Moonlight" much more - that was a superb, amazing film while "Beale Street" is a good one. The only downside of it i think were scenes that were repetitive - literally - i do not need same scene to be shown multiple times for me to remember it.

Overall, "If Beale Street Could Talk" is a good slow burning drama with all the core elements in a right places for a movie to succeed.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mule (2018)
Not Eastwoods best, but its worth your time
14 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"The Mule" (2018) wasn't Eastwoods best that is for sure, but its not an issue because this was a very solid movie. It was very well shoot and directed as well as acted. The story was good, pacing was also good - at running time 1 h 49 min this movie never dragged.

Overall, "The Mule" is a good, slow movie. Its excellently paced and if you want to see a true living legend still doing his thing - look no other else.
Hellboy (2019)
Not bad
12 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

I went to see "Hellboy" (2019) to be honest without even seeing its trailer. I stayed away from the early reviews and haven't even looked upon IMDb before seeing it. Its not that i'm a huge Hellboy fan, no, its simply because i just wanted to see a movie open minded and really didn't care much about it. After seeing it and now looking upon all the negative score this movie got received already i can say - movie was not bad at all. I mean i did not expected anything from it to be honest, but it did surprised me (kinda in a positive way) that it was bloody and was definitely rated R - this i didn't knew as well. The movie was very fast paced - there is barely a second to breath and there were some very original ideas with creatures in it - like Baba Yaga and some other i won't spoil.

Overall, i kinda enjoyed "Hellboy" on a dumb Friday evening tonight in a movie theater. What i'm a bit surprised of how negative it appears this movie score everywhere. Maybe we saw a different movie, but without any expectations i was pretty entertained by this new, bloody, gory and pretty brutal flick.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bumblebee (2018)
A nice live action cartoon
11 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Bumblebee" (2018) is a pretty good live action cartoon. I called it that way because this movie is the closest thing to a cartoon - it is written all over it. Action scenes were pretty generic (for this series) yet pretty good, acting by our young lead was truly good and directing was by a million miles better then those we saw in last "Transformers" movies.

Overall, while the first "Transformers" movie still remains my favorite, this one easily comes as number two. A pretty good, easy movie to watch and recommend to.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really didn't care
7 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Bad Times at the El Royale" (2018) was not an interesting movie to me personally. I mean it has few great actors, and its solidly filmed, but that is that. Plot did not "grab" me, nor it was involving. Its kinda been there done that type of a thriller. At the end i just did not care of what will happen and to whom.

Overall, "Bad Times at the El Royale" is a really long movie that tells a story i kinda saw already many times, and done much better. Its not bad movie maybe to see it once on a boring evening, but i will forget it very quickly.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Free Solo (2018)
Insane stuff, with all do respect
2 April 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Free Solo" (2018) has to be probably the most gut wrenching documentary I've ever seen. It is not matter whether you know the outcome or don't - to simply see a human climbing on a mounting which is basically a wall at 790 meters and then at almost 980 meters WITHOUT any safety belts and etc is a thing you won't see any day. Or maybe even ever. Imagine yourself for at least a second in his shoes? Me neither. You have to be whether insanely brave or insanely stupid to do that. I would call Alex Honnold who did it somewhere in between.

Overall, "Free Solo" is about an insane bravery and perfection one can achieve while pursuing a goal. This has to be one of the most inspiring stories out there and one of the most gut wrenching "adventures" i have ever saw. Insane stuff, what all do respect.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boy Erased (2018)
Great film
31 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Boy Erased" (2018) is a very good and kinda important movie. It kinda blows my mind to think that there are people who can actually believe that you can "heal" homosexuality by hitting the person with a bible! Anyway, "Boy Erased" tells a true story and does this so well - acting, directing, writing were all excellent as well some good and haunting music.

Overall, "Boy Erased" is very easy to watch because it is excellently made, but also its kinda hard to watch of the things it shows. That is some great film right here.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Modern Classic
27 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

So i finally watched "A Star Is Born" (2018) after all the praise, Oscars, money, admiration and love it gained starting from its release. What took me so long from seeing it! Damn, what a great modern romance / music movie that is. "A Star Is Born" sets a bar for all future modern music movies - i don't ever want to see anymore in a future movies any actors mimicking their music performances or music people trying to act - "A Star Is Born" (2018) showed, what can be done when such talents do what they do best and not only one of them directed the movie for the first time, but what a great, modern classic it is.

Overall, "A Star Is Born" is a Bradley Cooper's masterpiece. Terrific acting to say the least, directing, writing and music itself elevates this movie into a modern classic. Great movie all around, loved every minute of it.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Colossal Train-wreck
26 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

Last week i saw some video on YouTube were some movie critics were making an analysis of why did "Mortal Engines" (2018) flopped so hard with box office. Main reasons they said were bad marketing and overcrowded movie market upon which "Mortal Engines" was released. Now after finally seeing this movie i can safety say that not a bad marketing nor overcrowded movie market were issues. The main issue is a very simple one - this movie is a complete train-wreck on its own.

"Mortal Engines" has absolute zero of any possible character development. The main hero in this movie has some flashbacks, but even for her i did not care for a second. Other had zero personality, even the great Hugo Weaving who gave the best possible performance in this movie. Now the main hero, actress Hera Hilmar is another topic. I'm not a hater, believe me, but when i first time saw Jennifer Lawrence in "The Hunger Games" - her first big movie, i saw a hunger in actresses eyes - you knew you are watching a star making performance who could simply carry the movie on her own. Now take a look at Hera Hilmar - never heard of her before and from what i saw - i will never will. She had zero screen presence, zero personality, zero charisma. Who in the world casted her as a lead of the movie with this big budget heavy concept made a huge mistake. Other crucial part that this movie was barely watchable is a terrible storytelling. While the story itself is good it was told unfortunately in the most uninvolving imaginable way. Screenplay is the one the blamed here. And hiring Christian Rivers - who never even made a movie before was another leap of faith Peter Jackson made. One bad decision after another came from a movie creator this talented and experienced as Peter Jackson.

Overall, "Mortal Engines" is a colossal disaster in almost every possible way. I really wanted to like this movie, but it wasn't possible to even admire it at the end because its so bad, that i kinda felt bad for people who lost their money creating this mess and ones who bought tickets to see it. A Colossal Train-wreck.
Green Book (2018)
A movie that will leave you smiling
24 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

Is hardly possible to give a lower rating then 10 for "Green Book" (2018). I mean this movie has some amazing acting by two leads, superb directing of the movie, good production values and script that is a bit manipulative but so involving, that at the running time 2 h this movie never dragged for a second. Yet this is a predictable and more of "movie" story then reality, this is a good feel movie first of all - like a Disney take on racism.

Overall, "Green Book" is a superbly involving and excellently paced movie. It will leave you smiling. Great movie all in all.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Us (2019)
Slasher movie done a bit differently
22 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

As a one who loved "Get Out", i went to see "Us" (2019) just tonight on its opening night. At the end i wasn't disappointing of because "Us" is a very well made, pretty original, superbly acted movie. This is a much more straightforward horror slasher movie then "Get Out" was, and in my opinion it wasn't as good as that one. But on its own, "Us" does deliver. Its bloody, funny and pretty original. While it suffered a bit from a pacing here and more near the end, it did enjoyed this movie as a whole.

Overall, "Us" is a pretty straightforward slasher horror flick with pretty original idea, amazing acting by all 4 leads and good writing. Its pacing unfortunately wasn't that great especially near the end, but overall its a good genre movie.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Lithuanian cinema
19 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

Finally i saw a Lithuanian movie (most of it), which is the one that can definitely be safely shown abroad without embarrassment to itself. And the movie is "Ashes in the Snow" (2018). This is a highly solidly directed, acted, written, filmed and edited movie. It tells a true story and stories. My grandfather was one of those who witnessed and survived this experience on his own, luckily, he did come back.

Overall, "Ashes in the Snow" represent a good Lithuania cinema. Not some stupid pseudo / comedies for with same faces all over again targeted for same audiences trailers of which to even witness in a cinema feels like embarrassment. Not our "Tarantino" wannabe directors crime / comedies of a genre which faded away from cinema more then a decade ago - but in our country feels fresh!

"Ashes in the Snow" is the one who should be seen for all true movie lovers around the world. Great Lithuania cinema.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good and original movie
17 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018) is definitely the most original and amazing movie that came our about this hero in probably more then a decade. Animation was pretty stunning - the look and feel of this movie are truly original. Voice acting was great - no one was acting out and you could sense realism in every line.

Overall, while i'm not a biggest fan of superhero movies, i was kinda blown away by this "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse". Its a truly original piece.
First rate movie
17 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Triple Frontier" (2019) is an action, adventure drama which transpires mostly in jungles. I highly enjoyed this movie because it was superbly made - the great J.C. Chandor ("A Most Violent Year") superbly directed this movie - it looks absolutely gorgeous - cinematography was simply amazing. Pacing was also excellent because at 2 hours run time i was not bored by a second and was glued to me screen. And while "Triple Frontier" is a pure fiction, screenplay by Mark Boal ("The Hurt Locker") was very involving.

Overall, some might and will dislike this movie probably because it lacks tons of action. For me it wasn't a problem because the movie itself was superbly crafted that i enjoyed ever minute of it. And there is a kinda shocking twist nearing the end, which i did not see it coming. Its an excellent movie.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Trap (2017)
Great Sci-Fi gem
13 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

Writer and director of "Time Trap" (2017) clearly did not had gazillions of dollars, but this movie is a proof that you can make a very involving Sci-Fi movies having a very good idea. This movie had a very good idea, pretty good writing and OK acting as well as solid directing - all combined "Time Trap" is a very involving story for those who enjoy good Sci-Fi stories.

Overall, i won't spoil it, but "Time Trap" took me by surprise. I would definitely recommend this movie for those who like really good Sci-Fi stories and don't mind of a movie that does not have a huge sets and stars. A very good Sci-Fi gem.
Mandy (2018)
You will either love it or hate it
12 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

There are moments of brilliance in "Mandy" (2018). To be honest, one can surely find the whole movie as a brilliant, fresh, haunting and brutal experience which is as far away for a conventional revenge flick as possible - and i can totally understand that, because it is. Other might find this movie total crap - overstuffed with violence, boring story, bizarre images and to trying to be many things at the same time without simply being a good movie - those people i will also understand. I'm myself are more on those side who disliked this movie, but did not hate it. I think it has more bad thing then good, and i found this movie badly paced, but very solidly acted.

Overall, "Mandy" (2018) is a very mixed bag, which for me did not worked at the end. I did admire this movie for that it definitely tried to be something totally different then an average revenge flick, and it succeeded, but its not for my taste.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie and music won me over
10 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

I'm not the biggest fan of "Queen" and after reading some mixed and even many negative reviews from critics (and from some of my favorites), i was skeptical about this picture before watching it - i thought it will be over hyped movie. But this movie won me over. "Bohemian Rhapsody" (2018) is a great peace of entertainment. Its superbly paced - at running time 2 h 8 min this movie never dragged for a second. Second thing - it is very involving, because of superbly simple yet involving script, great directing (as i said - terrific pacing), great production values during the third act end of the movie and superb performance by Rami Malek - he owned the movie.

Overall, its hard not to start singing along during the final act of this movie. And its hard not like this movie overall - its a great peace of entertainment.
Creed II (2018)
Keep them coming
9 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

I guess i will never be tired of "these Rocky movies". While not as amazing as first Creed movie, "Creed II" (2018) delivered everything i was hoping for - big and great speeches about life, great boxing scenes, great villains (Dolph in one of his best performances ever) and mumbling Sly with his hat. Villains in this movie were probably the best in all Rocky movies because for the first time i was rooting for them as much as for our heroes - they are superbly flashed out characters.

Overall, i really enjoyed "Creed II". Considering that this is 8th movie in a series, it a sort of a miracle this franchise is still attracts millions. Thank you Sly for this movie and this whole franchise of one of the (if not the most) inspiring movie franchise in a cinema history.
Like a great novel
6 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

The ending, which wasn't as great as the whole movie, kinda prevented it from giving this movie a solid 9/10. I highly enjoyed the whole picture to be honest, i think the story was superb - watching it was like reading a great epic novel - it felt that way. Performances were great, but its writing and directing by a legendary filmmaker elevated this movie.

Overall, after seeing 3 h 8 min version i can safely say - "Fanny och Alexander" (1982) is a great movie. It does not end as strong as its journey was, but i really liked it as a whole.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Director's Cut" makes this movie a true judgement
5 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

When i first saw "Kingdom of Heaven" back in 2005, i saw of course theatrical version, which run at around 2 h 10 min. It was just an OK movie, but quickly forgettable and a bit messy. I was disappointed as i was expected this big great epic. Now some years later i stumble upon the "Director's Cut" of this movie, which was more then 45-50 min longer then its theatrical version and desired to see it. What i can safely say - the "Director's Cut" of "Kingdom of Heaven" is one of the few if not the best example of how a new cut (true vision) can turn the whole movie around in the best possible way. I simply loved Director's Cut of "Kingdom of Heaven". It had so many great story lines, which enriched this movie - so many character which in the "original" sounded and looked like out of place now had a true meaning with their actions and true consequences.

Overall, please see "Director's Cut" of "Kingdom of Heaven" if you haven't seen it. It is definitely one of the very best examples of how true director's vision can change the movie into a truly great cinema.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Prospect (2018)
Would have been great if i would at least known what was going on in this movie
4 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Prospect" (2018) is a very strange movie. Strange in a sense that it was not badly made at all and i liked acting by both leads (Pedro P. was the reason i picked up this movie in a first place), set design was also pretty descent, but on the other hand - what was going on in the first place? Were was the place were we action took place? What is the time? What happened? Why did this all was going on? I like sci-fi movies which raises questions, but "Prospect" did not raised them - while the main story line is very easy to follow, the movie needed to explain a bit to its viewers place and time of it all. Without it, movie lost me to be involved, and only solid acting by two leads saved it from beeing boring as hell.

Overall, i'm a fan of sci-fi movies, and "Prospect" isn't a bad one, but its biggest flaw is that it does not explain or at least hint on the world it takes place. I had no clue what was going on, and its not a good thing for a movie in general.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Narcos: Mexico: Leyenda (2018)
Season 1, Episode 10
Great finale of season 1
3 March 2019
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Leyenda" was a great episode that left me wanting for more. Most of the stories came to the end of this episode, but many more remained unanswered and to be witnessed in season 2. This episode and the whole season have had great cinematography, superb acting whole production values were simply superb. Story, based on a very real life was great as well as storytelling.

Overall, i really enjoyed first season of "Mexico". It has everything that made first season great. Will definitely wait for next season.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.