Reviews

Video game movie curse broken?
10 May 2019
Many are claiming the Detective Pikachu finally breaks the video game curse, and are praising this movie for its fun and action. Yes, Detective Pikachu does bring alot of family friendly fun and action, giving an enjoyable time for the whole family. But, there's nothing ground breaking or inspiring beyond being themildly interesting, fmaily action movie. It was definately interesting seeing the pokemon in the movie, seeing them interact with the citizens and seeing the roles they play is definately intersesting, but beyond the pokemons who are undoubtedly the stars the story is pretty standard and cliche. Ryan Reynolds does a brilliant voice work on Pikachu, something that undoubtedly is what makes or breaks the movie. But beyond all that, not much.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Endgame
4 May 2019
It would be impossible to talk about this movie without spoiling anything, but this is truly the Endgame. Avengers: Endgame felt like the closing of a chapter and the culmination of a decades worth of movies and a truly epic saga. We have followed these characters for 22 movies and it has all led to this movie, a combination of heart wrenching drama and epic action sequences.

As a comic book reader/fan there really is something about seeing a movie like this that evokes a certain emotion in you, while I have enjoyed pretty much all of the MCU films this and movie and the first Avengers did something that is entirely on its own level. In the Avengers, seeing the moment in which the Avengers first 'assemble', there is a very emotional response. This movie has a similar moment that evokes that same emotion of seeing the characters you have known and love from the comics come to life on the screen. Endgame truly felt like a large comic book crossover event that ties everything together satisfyingly.

While this film definitely has 'plot holes' and flaws, to me it is a 10/10 film because I truly doubt that anyone would be able to recreate the magic that this film represents, 22 movies in over a decade, this saga represents more than a single cinematic motion picture can accomplish but elevates the artform of 'film' and forges its own category of epic sagas.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumbo (2019)
Adorable elephants and an emotional tale
19 April 2019
Dumbo is the live action remake to Disney's classic movie of the same name. It is directed by Tim Burton so it adds that extra flair to the original making it have a darker, Tim Burton esque aura.

This version of Dumbo chose to focus more on the human characters as the movie must meet the longer length of the modern feature length movie, and I don't necessarily dislike the choice. I thought it was a very solid and heartwarming rendition of the classic tale that fleshes out a lot of the side characters, allowing them to have meaningful side plots and character development.

Despite this, the main storyline of Dumbo still manages to amaze, with brilliant acting from the child actors, Danny Devito, Colin Farrell and Eva Green the movie elevates the sense of awe and childlike innocence. It also doesn't hurt that the CGI for Dumbo was amazing, making it one of the most adorable live action rendition of an animal I have seen thus far in this age of live action talking animals. I fell in love with the little elephant and was emotionally invested in his story the whole time.

Dumbo is a great choice for a solid family friendly fun, not too much to delve into but great emotional storytelling that is brilliantly acted and executed.
Us (2019)
Great pure horror and equally brilliant social commentary
19 April 2019
Us is director Jordan Peele's second entry in the Horror genre and it is exciting to see his work after the success of Get Out. Peele once again exhibits his knack for telling scary stories with the flair of social commentary and racial commentary.

This movie on a standalone horror perspective is much better made in comparison to Get out, there was more scares and was overall more intense and harkens back to classic Horror. It also manages to include comedic elements that were not cringe worthy and were very fitting.

While being a better horror film compared to get out, it also nails its social commentary, the use of symbolism and metaphors is just amazing to see, making viewers want to pause at every frame to discover the subtle details. Us was a great experience that not only succeeds in Horror but also in Peele's no trademark social commentary, making viewers really think about cinema again.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just ok supplement to the MCU
19 April 2019
Captain Marvel introduces the character of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel and is Marvel's first attempt at a female solo superhero film. It is also because of this that the movie faced certain controversial topics and were tied with feminism and feminist debates. The movie was placed between Infinity War and Endgame to introduce us to one of Marvel's most powerful superheroes.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie for what it was, it was a solid MCU entry but nothing amazing, which for MCU's standards is kind of disappointing. It was good, but lacks a lot of story and character development for one of the MCU's future stars. For me, the movie reminds me a lot of the MCU's phase 1 movies where the origin films weren't clear on who these characters are so they have very little layers and substance to them. In many ways Captain Marvel was very two dimensional and bland, exhibiting little that the audiences can relate to.

I did somewhat enjoy Nick Fury's story arc and his relationship with Carol in this movie that has already played an important role in the greater MCU to come. Nick Fury is shown to be more comedic and with more character than in his previous iterations, this is something that I liked.

In many ways this movie sets up a lot for the greater MCU as well as the future for the character and characters in this movie which I will be looking forward to but Captain Marvel seems more like a supplement than a fully self realized entry.

But like I side, just fine is probably not good enough for the MCU at this point since they have shown time and time again that they have now mastered even origin stories with the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther being major successes.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Spider man story that continues Peter Parker's legacy
19 April 2019
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was a treat and a real surprise, I had little expectations going in but ended up getting a very fun and exciting animated, action Spidey adventure. This movie is also bound to excite any who were fans of Spiderman or the Spider-verse comic series released recently by Marvel comics. As a comic book fan it's always exciting and interesting to see different iterations of our favourite comic characters in comic books and this movie made it work seamlessly on the silver screen.

Honestly, going in I did not think that this movie would work given that the characters are not as well established as something like the MCU with rich lore and backstory that supports its grand storytelling. It kind of feels like jumping pass the origin story and straight to the final chapter, but like I said before, kudos for making it work.

The characters were all likeable and interesting variations of Spiderman, and I think that the reason it worked is that the movie played on the fact that the Peter Parker Spiderman story has been retold so many times over the years that they are not only self aware but uses it to their advantage. By showing us a version of Peter Parker who is older and grizzled, it breathes new life into the character's arc and brings us a much different story to what we are sued to.

Miles Morales' portrayal was also great, allowing the movie to explore a new character to become Spiderman and furthering the legacy of the character, overall it was a great experience that was fun, and energetic.
Solid sequel, fun, exciting
19 April 2019
The Lego Movie 2 is the sequel to, The Lego Movie that reintroduces us to the world of Legos. To compare this with the first movie, there isn't too much to be said that this movie has built on the success of the first. The sequel to The Lego Movie was safe and overall not too groundbreaking. It plays with the ideas of creativity, building just like the first one does but also incorporates more themes of family and sibling relationships in a fun and exciting movie. Nothing that is unexpectedly good, just a solid, fun sequel.
Bumblebee (2018)
Back to the basics
28 December 2018
Bumblebee is the origin story of Bumblebee from Michael Bay's Transformers franchise. However, that's where the similarities end between this movie and its predecessors. Bumblebee puts the focus back in the relationship between the characters putting the focus on the relationship between Hailee Steinfeld's Charlie and Bumblebee. The movie aalso only focuses on 3 transformers including Bumblebee making the film much more focused and streamlined.

Bumblebee had tender character moments and comedic moment that weren't cheap but actually funny. Successfully fleshing out the warmth of Bumblebee's character and making us sympathize with the loveable autobot.

Bumblebee truly sets itself apart with the addition of John Cena's agent Burns, aka 'the military guy'. John Cena's Burns is not over the top and wasn't a caricature of military stereotypes, but rather had empathetic motivations and was a wholesome character in his own right.

Overall, Bumblebee is a fresh entrance in the Transformers franchise and can mark an exciting new direction for the franchise.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun ride through the internet
28 December 2018
Ralph breaks the internet is a fun ride with an interesting look at internet culture. Building on the success of the first film the sequel to Wreck it Ralph discusses issues of friendship and looks at the viral video culture of the internet in a very interesting way. Ralph Breaks the internet manages to not only take audiences on a fun ride but also present larger ideas. Personally I feel that the sequel is aimed more towards a younger demographic group with lesser references to classic arcade games and more focus on the internet. Nonetheless a worthy sequel to Wreck it Ralph.
Aquaman (2018)
Visually stunning step in the right direction for DC
28 December 2018
Aquaman sets itself aside from the rest of the DC films by being what in my opinion is the best the franchise had to offer so far. Comparisons are bound to be made with the franchise's other arguable hit, Wonder Woman. Personally I think Aquaman beats Wonder Woman in that it had a final act that had a battle that was so visually appealing and interesting to look at that it absolutely blows Wonder Woman's failure of a third act out of the water.

Which really is the story of Aquaman's success, it is a film that is wonderful to look at, the visual aspect of this film is that of a completely new level, with underwater shots and CGI that is groundbreaking and something that audiences have never seen before. The film had an interesting villain in Ocean mater, his motivations were well justified as the best villains should.

Both Jason Momoa and Amber Heard were brilliant as Arthur and Mera as director James Wan excellently blends the actor's own traits into the characters. Utilizing Momoa's culture in the form of war cries and tribal tattoos to establish this new and modernized version of Aquaman.

Aquaman is bound to wow audiences, while it's not the most interesting story wise it definitely sets itself apart as a fun and thrilling explosion of colours and visuals.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre remnant of the YA film genre
28 December 2018
Mortal Engines sets out to be the next teen novel adaptation success story but fails miserably in establishing a new franchise. In many ways it represents the flaws of the genre and acts as a relic in this genre that is no longer able to draw in audiences like it used to.

Mortal Engines looks amazing, it had an interesting premises that would draw audiences based on sheer curiosity factor but after that would have little to prove for itself. Beyond the visual appeal of the film and the interesting world building there is little character development and thus I found myself hardly caring about what happens to said characters. The film throws out terminology and characters like it is an established franchise in which audiences already understood what and who they are. The result was a film that hardly connected to its audience and an unbearable watch.

I did find interest in one particular character, Shrike, a cyborg killer machine who was the most empathetic and garnered the most interest. Perhaps it had something to do with the focus they gave to the character's background and build.

While Mortal Engines definitely failed in what it set out to do I wouldn't say that any of the performances or dialogue was horrible, it's simply mediocre and bland. Perhaps it is time to call it quits on these YA adaptaions.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Widows (2018)
Not the advertised heist thriller
20 November 2018
Widows is an interesting heist film that focuses not so much on the heist itself but the drama and motivation behind the individual characters. The film focuses a lot more on the individual character arcs of each character rather than focusing on the action and intensity of the heist. This movie had a lot of bottled up angst and in many ways is embodied by the internal and external performances of the three leads, Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez and Elizabeth Debicki. They had very good showings in this film and it really subverts your expectation when the trailers suggest a much more intense and heist centric film.

In my opinion, the film does drag a bit and the 'twist' doesn't really seem all to original or unexpected. It was a very well made, well performed film but story and action wise lacking.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Setting up hype for the future of the Wizarding world
19 November 2018
Crimes of Grindelwald takes us back to the wizarding world of Harry Potter, as a fan of the original series and someone who enjoyed the first Fantastic beast I can say that I had an enjoyable time watching Crimes of Grindelwald. I have certainly heard a lot of backlash towards many of the films twists and the incoherent storytelling/messy pacing. From that point of view I completely concur, as a standalone Crimes of Grindelwald hardly stands out and in many ways relies on cheap pops and expository background information, much like an encyclopedia of the wizarding world rather than a coherent narrative.

In many ways I find that this new series, the 'Fantastic Beasts' series mirrors that of the Harry Potter films in terms of the film structures. The first Fantastic beasts movie was a lot like Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone in that it takes us into this wonderful world of magic and wizardry, we see through the eyes of Jacob much like we did through Harry in the original series. Now that we have reached the second installment, I find that it is a lot like the original series' weakest link, 'Chamber of Secrets', in that it is slow, expository and mainly serves to set the chess pieces and begin to tease a darker story. Although arguably, Chamber of Secrets does have more of a narrative than, Crimes of Grindelwald's "who is Credence's mum".

But as a fan of the series, I find myself still enjoying Crimes of Grindelwald despite it quite literally being more like a 10 fun facts of the wizarding world rather than a film. I think this just goes to show what a complex world Rowling ahs built, how intricate and interesting this world is in that it can make such a film interesting despite not being 'good' in terms of being a piece of cinema. I think Crimes of Grindelwald does set the franchise up for greatness, by filling in all the missing parts, and a very well done final act, I think it sets this new series up for a really interesting future.
Overlord (2018)
Aesthetically pleasing but lacks much in substance
13 November 2018
Overlord was an interesting blend of Horror and War, it was gritty and intense which made it a good 'edge of your seat' watch. The characters were likeable for the most part, involving classic war movie camaraderie and peer banter. The characters grew and there was some meaning to there character arc. But honestly, overall quite uninspiring. The atmosphere was definitely done very well, the disgusting labs and the horrors of war were both depicted very well. The character design adn set design of the underground labs were all very well done.

But unfortunately the film is not much more than that, the story is elementary at best and the mystery isn't really that much of a mystery. There was suspense, but that is to the most part due to loud bangs and body-horror imagery, that as I mentioned were done well. The story was very simple and overall the film had a very small scope, set within a small French village.

However, despite this, it could be serviceable as a 'fun' watch, there isn't much depth, just a coo and action packed movie with intense fight scenes and is moderately enjoyable.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Boy (I) (2018)
A masterpiece in performance and story telling
13 November 2018
Beautiful Boy was a heartbreaking exploration of drug abuse and family dynamics, the film focuses on teenager, Nic Sheff played by Timothee Chalamet and how his father, David Sheff played by Steve Carell tries to save him from his own descension into drug abuse. It was a very different kind of coming of age story, that is intense but subtle. Another brilliant example of Steve Carell's transformation into a serious actor.

Perpetuity Perpetuity is a theme that the film absolutely nails, the film portrays this vicious cycle of drug abuse, rehabilitate and relapse in a brilliant way. The whole film felt like a constant cycle with each relapse being worse and worse, both in Nic's actions in terms of the severity of the drug use and in terms of the emotional toll it takes on both Nic and David Sheff. The song choice and music also helps to emphasize this perpetuity, each time Nic returns to the house the music choice was uplifting versus the intense and angsty choice of music for when he relapses. One song in particular really got to me, 'Heart of gold' by Neil Young, it was almost perfect for the story of Nic, trying to do good, and trying to not be this 'disappointment' to his father but just failing to do so.

Growing up and letting go Personally, I saw Beautiful Boy as a coming of age story, that focuses not just on the child transforming into adulthood but also in the parent learning to let go. It was a beautiful mirroring and metaphorical exploration of this dynamic. The film would cut from scenes of Nic's drug use to Nic as a child engaged in laughter and play. The film's title: Beautiful boy almost felt like something that was pressuring Nic, the idea that he didn't live up to his father's image of him was what led him to his descension. There was a scene in particular where Nic asks his father 'are you proud of me now', you can see the angst of David, just wanting to tell his son that regardless of who he is he is loved. The film Explores how Steve Cowell's David Sheff has to let go and stop being the controlling parent that he is. In one of Nic's final relapses, David finally said he's had enough and that he can't help Nic, this was a moment of heartbreak but also a moment of realization, to me I see this as him breaking the perpetuity and the cycle, it was his character's transformative moment. I think the film round this up beautifully when in the final shot we see Nic after a near fatal overdose is weak and frail, presumably at a rehabilitation center, with David by his side holding him. It was a beautiful shot to end the story at. Concluding this idea that David, as the father is no longer trying to 'control' Nic but it doesn't mean he has given up on him either, he's simply supporting Nic regardless of his decisions, it was this sense of unconditional trust, because no matter what, he would always be his Beautiful boy.

The 3 leads As mentioned, Steve Carell further solidifies himself as a serious actor, he gives a performance that is so subtle but with bursts of uncontrollable emotions in a very very impressive outing. While Timothee Chalamet furthers his highly impressive resume with the likes of 'Call me by your name'. The third lead, Maura Tierney who plays the step mother was equally as impressive, you see how her character was a stern figure, a rock that kept David from drifting too far into trying to bring Nic back the whole time, her performance was subdued and intricate. It was all the most impressive when you finally see her let loose and seeing the tears roll down her face for what seems like the first time, in one of the saddest and most emotionally intense car chase scenes I have seen.

Beautiful boy was a really good film, that explores serious topics that happens to a lot of people, ourselves, people around us could all have suffered similar situations. The film explores this and discusses the importance of family and support in a subtle and beautiful piece of work.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy pacing, but worthwhile?
13 November 2018
Bohemian Rhapsody had great music, an excellent performance my Rami Malek and creates an amazing atmosphere that makes viewers feel like they are at the concerts. It is this incredible combination that makes Bohemian Rhapsody such an enjoyable and entertaining watch.

While the film definitely delivers whenever Queen were performing, they can't always be on stage and whenever they are not I can only say the the pacing is slow at times and may even seem formulaic. How many times have we seen a movie about a band that hits every checkpoint as they do in Bohemian Rhapsody. You got the simple pattern of, 'formation of band, label disapproval, success, descension, lead goes away, lead fails and abuses drugs, returns to sing kumbaya. I mean, seriously, outside of the eccentricity that is Freddy Mercury brought alive through Malek's performance, the rest of the movie can be seen as quite a drag.

But, the movie still got me singing along and on an absolute Queen craze afterwards, so I guess they did something right.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Formulaic but still funny
13 November 2018
Admittedly, Rowan Atkinson and the Johnny English franchise has always had a soft spot for me. I really liked English's previous installments and felt that the second film, Johnny English Reborn has probably been the franchise high. Because of this, I was very surprised when I found out that they were doing a third movie, Johnny English Strikes again.

Johnny English Strikes again had many laughs and the slapstick comedy that is such a staple of the franchise has been done as always very well. However, do focus on the 'as always' because this is not a franchise that reinvents itself, there is nothing more to be added to Johnny English as a franchise, quite frankly this was rather disappointing considering the competitive market of comedic movies these days. With high concept movies such as Game night, it is difficult for something like Johnny English to be fleshed out against this sea of competition. Unfortunately for me, Johnny English Strikes Again was mediocre at best.

However, I should also add that if you are unfamiliar with the other Johnny English films you would definitely have a good time, this is definitely a funny movie, just very formulaic and scarcely differs from the previous films.
Searching (III) (2018)
Brilliant acting, use of technology and riveting mystery
8 September 2018
Searching was a wonderful thriller that managed to be nuanced but also tell an effective and compelling story. It has been a while since I was so riveted and drawn in to a mystery thriller in this way trying desperately to figure out and uncover the truth of the mystery. Which is a sign of this film's brilliance, the way that the film is set up, while on paper may sound like another one of those 'gimmick' films but in reality works to its favour and aids the story telling. I am of course referring to the fact that this film is told through the lenses of the technology, webcams, CCTV, cameras, phones. This film takes the angle of these everyday things and tells its story in this way throughout.

The reason why I think this actually works to the film's favour is that it manages to make the already brilliant acting seem even more authentic and genuine, because there isn't a sense of being on a movie set but there is a sense of realism and a sense that you as an audience is peering into the lives of these people. This realist approach is captured so brilliantly as the use of technology goes into such fine details. The filmmaker took notice of the apps that we use, the internet trends and all of this comes together to form a brilliant backdrop to the film that exuberates authenticity.

But all this only goes to elevate John Cho's performance in this film, the way he conveys emotions is especially fascinating to watch. Especially considering that most of the time when we see him he is reacting to the computer screen. His facial expressions of distraught, confusion, pain and worry is so brilliantly acted out in this film that is bound to be one of if not the best John Cho performances. Pitch that with a mystery that is filled with twists and turns that ends in the final reveal that was smart and unpredictable, we have ourselves a wonderful thriller.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A delightful romcom that adds a unique twist to the classic romcom formula
29 August 2018
Crazy Rich Asians is a rare film to come along with a star studded Asian cast to deliver a pleasant romcom filled with laughs and tears. The basic premises of the film is that Constance Wu's Rachel Chu is brought to Singapore by her boyfriend to discover a whole host of over the top family members and friends who all share the common trait of being extremely rich and must try to co-exist and fit into the family.

This is a premiss that doesn't sound to unfamiliar however, the distinction of being in a culture that is unfamiliar to American audiences and to the Hollywood industry means that there is a lot of freshness and nuance to the genre despite its generic premiss. The spin on the classic 'fish out of water' romcoms much like Ben Stiller's "Meet the Parents" makes this film a lot more vibrant and interesting.

However, by no means am I suggesting that the film is only great because it features a different culture but that this point is one that elevates the genre. If the film were to be poorly acted it would've still been a bust. Luckily, this film had a brilliant cast who all delivers brilliant performances, there was charm and relatability in the acting that makes this film resonate deeply with audiences. From the main cast to the support all brought to the table something that is new and interesting because they play their roles so well. Even characters who are very two dimensional were able to flesh out their character traits in a unique way that can almost only be portrayed by them (I will not name them here to avoid spoilers).

Overall Crazy Rich Asians was a fun and enjoyable ride that is almost surely setting a precedent that Asian actors can sell at the box office and is bound to be the beginning of a new era of Asian actors in Hollywood films.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alpha (2018)
A rather disappointing take on the relationship between manking and man's best friend
29 August 2018
Alpha was a film that was billed as a dramatic and heartfelt adventure between man and dog across a vast and glorious landscape. A rather basic premise but if well executed could deliver powerful emotional beats as well as riveting action sequences.

Alpha very much delivered on its cinematography and there was some decent CG as well however when it comes to the storytelling often falls flat. Even though the main character goes through rather precarious situations the film has a hard time making audiences believe in the danger that the main character is actually in, perhaps this is due to his early escapes or just a lack of emotional stakes and resonance to the character. It is often difficult to establish a empathetic character who speaks a completely foreign and almost alien language and this doesn't help at all in the creation of a character we as audiences empathize with. It is perhaps this reason and a not so strong performance that leaves a rather forgettable impression and lackluster story.

The film also relies very heavily on 'coincidence' characters just randomly running into each other in the vastness of North American ice age and events that happen out of the blue. These all create a sense of having a 'cheap escape' and builds on the issue of having low stakes.

Of course the relationship between the main character and the wolf/dog is a vital part of this film's success and even this was somewhat oversimplified and ignorant of the actual process of evolution and adaptation. Overall making the film seem much more fantasy fiction than gritty reality.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kumaré (2011)
The guru inside of you
15 July 2018
Kumaré is a fascinating exploration of religious culture and the New age movement that has been ever growing as a form of bringing Eastern forms of thought and philosophy to a Western audience. As someone who has had first hand experience in this world of rituals, chants and self improvement I was deeply fascinated by both the premise and the twists and turns of the film.

Kumaré takes a deep dive into the world of spiritual gurus as an everyman, film director Vikram Gandhi decides to experience first hand what it means to be a spiritual guru and whether this whole New-age deal is complete nonsense of is there in fact something deeper that people can dwell into. it's a very very interesting look into this idea of the New age and the modern man's need for self fulfilment purpose and the existential fulfilment that these modern gurus are able to fulfill.

Personally my experience with the film drew many parallels with many so called 'gurus' that I have personally had experiences with, while never fully convinced of these 'holy men' and 'advanced being' or whatever they choose to call themselves I always had the personal agenda that aligned very much with Vikram's visions in that we ourselves have the innate ability to distinguish right from wrong and to self improve.

The most interesting parts of the documentary reflect this belief and how this agenda of Vikram eventually divulges into a belief system of his own. Just going to show that while the idea of a spiritual guru or spiritual leader may be simply phathomed out of thin air the sense of belief that people are able to mirror and reflect onto the figure or themselves is undisputedly real and genuine. Kumaré takes audiences on a fascinating exploration of this idea and director Vikram's eventual conclusion of this genuine relationship and bond that actually came out of an idea that had no authentic basis. I wonderfully emotional and suspenseful documentary for anyone who has any interest in the subject matter.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly enjoyable and entertaining
8 July 2018
In almost every aspect Ant man and the Wasp exceeds its predecessor in one of the MCU's funniest properties. Ant man and the Wasp was a fun, blockbuster comedy that knew what it was and understood its place as a very fun, well acted and well scripted comedy. From this perspective it couldn't have been made any better, the dialogues and quips were funny and fast paced, they hit all the marks that people wanted to revisit, introduced new ideas and characters and had amazing action and visuals.

There wasn't anything significantly deep or thought provoking about Ant man and the Wasp but that is perfectly fine in the movie's own rights, not every single Marvel movie has to address a serious world ending crisis or explore political and racial issues. And that really is what's so great about the MCU in its current state, the diversity in their product, they can range from small scale heist/comedies to the most epic of battles but be equally as entertaining and great films.

Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly reprise their roles as Scott Lang and Hope Van dyne respectively, coming back better than ever. The new role for Evangeline Lilly as the Wasp adds a much needed female badassery to this franchise and very much elevates the action and intercharacter relationships. Paul Rudd further proves why he is one of the most likeable actors by utilizing his charms and the father-daughter relationship to build a more well rounded and well liked lead. Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer were both very good in their roles adding a layer of intrigue and interest to the MCU, creating more questions about the superheroes before the Avengers came about.

Overall I was very impressed with how Ant man and the Wasp manages to exceed Ant man and what a great and enjoyable time this movie was.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibles 2 (2018)
A sequel that was actually wanted
28 June 2018
Incredibles 2 is the sequel to the hit Pixar animation, The Incredibles. Long in the wood works, this film had a lot of hype to live up to and in many cases it meets these expectations. Incredibles 2 picks up right after the end of the film and explores new dynamics in the Superhero trope as well as familial and gender roles. Much like its predecessor, this movie challenges the stereotypes of the Superhero genre and in addition tackles new topics such as the aforementioned 'gender roles'.

The Incredibles 2 has clearly been incubated with much love and is a case where I would think a sequel is absolutely needed, unlike many of today's sequels that are set to make a quick buck The Incredibles 2 had a story to tell and a purpose. Personally, this holds up as one of the best Pixar sequels on par with Toy Story's brilliant additions. See, unlike films such as Monsters University or even the highly successful Finding Dory, while there was anticipation, it could be seen the the writers didn't necessarily have any material for the continuation of the stories of our beloved characters. In which case, I would think that having sequels is unnecessary.

Incredibles 2 handles its characters impeccable, with fun character moments that highlight the growth and development of each of the characters. All this was enhanced by the use of new technology to craft very fine and intricate images. This was a sequel that had something to add to the foundation created in the first film, a wonderful, heartwarming sequel and a brilliant family film.
Deadpool 2 (2018)
Building on the success of its predecessor, great sequel
9 June 2018
Far exceeding the first installment of the potential franchise, Deadpool 2 brings more of what worked and less of what didn't. Many of the jokes land far better than the original, it was a a film that pushes boundaries in a way that might be considered forceful and deliberate but ultimately well suited for the loud mouth aesthetic of the merc with a mouth. The film takes itself a little more seriously than the first, this may be considered as a positive or negative pending on your opinion of the style that Deadpool brings.

The filmmakers and Ryan Reynolds understand the character well, it is a good transition from comic book to film, with interesting cameos and a plethora of references to pop culture. Side characters get more of a shine in Deadpool two and proves to be one of the strong suits of Deadpool as a future franchise. The film builds firm foundations for future installments beyond the necessary 'origin story' that the first film was almost obliged to convey as a priority.

Deadpool 2 is a welcomed addition and builds on what the first film was, better jokes, references and stronger character development of both Deadpool and the many side characters.
Unnecessary
9 June 2018
Solo is the Star Wars origin story that no one really asked for that ended up being a pure cash grab attempted to capitalize on Disney's new acquisition of the Star Wars franchise. Possible due to this, the movie ended up being formulaic, corporate and at certain points down right boring. The film is a textbook display of the corporate and mechanical style of filmmaking in the house of mouse, not to say that Disney is unable to deliver films with heart and a respectable story but in this case, it was disappointing and quite frankly unnecessary.

The film does have some merits to be mentioned, Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando Calrissian for one was very good. Portraying the character as the level headed gambler that he is. Another interesting addition is Lando's droid 'L-3' adding a different dynamic and characteristic to Star Wars' many droids. There was even a decent build up for the relationship between Han Solo and Emilia Clarke's character 'Kiera'. However eventually runs its course and gets thrown aside by the film. There were several awkward moments in the film especially between these two characters who never regain the chemistry beyond our initial introduction. Solo had a very slow pacing, dragging along on boring storylines and uninteresting characters, while this greatly improves in around the second act the final act brings it back down to a slow burn ending that does not meet up or exceed the standard of the second act.

This all comes down to the lack of actual storyline that Solo had to tell and the forceful nature that resulted in the film that was awkward and boring, a disappointment.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.