Reviews

Queen Bee (1955)
Typecasting?
20 November 2019
Heard today that Christina Crawford walked out of the film because it reminded her too much of the real Joan. Why that sweet young girl didn't run away I don't understand- I'd have preferred to stay at Dracula's castle or the Bates Motel!
First time ever
13 November 2019
I'd seen it several times but this one brought tears to my eyes. .Truly.great music-pity he was pigheaded and I can't believe that.someone as beautiful and talented as Stella would fade into obscurity
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank God I'm an atheist!
30 October 2019
Seriously -saw for the first time today. Mitchum deserved an Oscar. Found Lilian Gish too good to be true and the film genuinely frightening. How can people fall for the likes of him? Simple folk indeed!
Beau Geste (1939)
Disregard pc whinging
23 October 2019
Sole criticism- Cooper and Preston. Cooper too old - roles should have played by Flynn and Niven. Donlevy standout as "rough but the best soldier we'll ever see".
Judy (II) (2019)
Renee deserves the Oscar
20 October 2019
This film really got to me- brought tears to my eyes and had me wanting to shout "Give her a chance!" when the audience were having a go at her. At sixteen , I named Louis B. Mayer as the worst bd I'd ever heard of and I'm not sure I was wrong.
Julia (1968–1971)
Query
13 October 2019
Shown in Britain 1969-70. I remember enjoying it. Do we really want to see a too realistic sitcom? What I'd like to know-what did the J stand for in Earl J. Waggedorn?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Birds of a Feather: Just Visiting (1989)
Season 1, Episode 2
The only episode I didn't like
15 September 2019
Tracy and Sharon using emotional blackmail to get Garth to go back to a school where he was unhappy and being bullied. I don't approve of boarding schools anyway.
The Scapegoat (1959)
Good movie
28 August 2019
I intend to read the book. Ending should have been more ambiguous - and wonder what happened next? Wouldn't his university have wondered- and the dog seemed to know,too.Hope he stayed on anyway-pity young Annabelle didn't do any more acting.
Excellent movie
3 August 2019
Perhaps Lancaster's best performance. I believe that no.one should have to serve more than thirty years and that Stroud was more sinned against than sinning to some extent;one reason I dislike Bobby Kennedy was his refisal tl release this old man.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
better than i remembered
28 July 2019
Interesting that they crammed thirteen episodes into less than two days! I wish they'd done more series.
Hell Drivers (1957)
cracking and unique
27 July 2019
I can't think of another British movie like it-unfortunately. Should have been turned into a TV series. Found it realistic as far as I could tell.

Would Lucy have really had the nerve to grass up the psychotic Red and her boss Cartley? That didn't quite ring true-unless she was "avenging" Gino.
irritating
23 July 2019
Preachy PC propaganda patronisingly telling people what they already knew. Were I married to a shrew like Jo, would I want to.come back? Hoarding is surely saving for a rainy day and the black market an example of free enterprise. Delicious thought-sequel. Chris Jr grows up to dodge the Vietnam draft!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uncle Kruger (1941)
i wonder
22 July 2019
Quite enjoyed it as a film although have doubts re historical accuracy-apart from the sheer chutzpah of the Nazis complaining about concentration camps! Also-Queen Victoria's attendant John Brown had died in 1883,long before this film was set.

Has it ever been shown in South Africa?
almost.perfect tiil the end
10 July 2019
I don't approve of emotional blackmail! Why shouldn"t Gia run off with a married or any other man? Must have come as a relief that she didnt look like her fathers.
Auntie Mame (1958)
book even better
8 July 2019
Would make great TV miniseries.But wouldnt Mame have taken Patrick away from St Boniface when she married multimillionaire Beau?
Melody (1971)
suggestion
8 July 2019
One of those that make you suspect that life might be worth living. How about turning it into a stage musical?

myi
great series
28 June 2019
Why isn't it on DVD? Christabel was the oldest, not Sylvia. I winder if the Mancumian Pankhursts really.spoke in Home Counties English accents.
Carmen Jones (1954)
cracking entertainment- never drags
26 June 2019
Only criticisms-I totally oppose dubbing in musicals.Forget the opera-Belafonte singer in own right. If set in WW2, why not Husky in army? More plausible to set in Korean War. Should have been remade in early 70s with Diana Ross and Joe Frazier as Husky.
good film but
23 June 2019
Plummer and especially Mason too old for men in their mid-30s and the conspiracy theory long discredited. Did like the normally cold Holmes giving in to righteous indignation at the end!
Gigi (1958)
Wonderful film-almost perfect
12 June 2019
I can only think of two criticisms. One-I don't approve of dubbing in musicals except for a biopic.If Leslie Caron's voice wasn't up to it,they should have cast someone else. Two-surely Mamita and Alicia had been grooming Gigi for someone like Gaston. so wasn't it illogical to object to him taking her for tea at the reservoir?
Brigadoon (1954)
really enjoyed it-scenery beautiful
29 May 2019
They should have defied Breen and kept in all the songs from the stage play.Harry had my sympathies-the thought of being trapped in such a village for the rest of my life would have driven me to suicide. The old pastor should at least have got the villagers together and given them the choice.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
should be taught in schools
25 May 2019
I refer to his life story. What could be more inspirational? Met Muriel Pavlow once- she said he was a lovely man. If he was arrogant and selfcentred- how else would he have made it back?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Rang, M'Lord? (1988–1993)
excellent series
24 May 2019
Problem that I found it hard to like some characters - especially James Twelve trees, a pompous prat , bully and creep. I'd have thought that Alf would have been nicer to Mabel.
just enjoy it
16 May 2019
I saw it the other day and did exactly that. I wish I could dance and sing like that! Could the PC brigade just let us make our own minds up and not carp from the sidelines? All stereotypes are founded in reality.

By the way-what's wrong with gambling as long as you don't lose more than you can afford?
Storm Warning (1951)
Query
14 May 2019
How could they put Doris Day and Ginger Rogers in the same film and not make it a musical? Imagine updating Busby Berkeley,for instance.