Reviews

Frozen II (2019)
Worth it for the Visuals, but plot wise all over the place.
23 November 2019
This is a beautiful movie, and Elsa's journey is a powerful one to watch. But outside of this it's narrative is completely unfocused and none of the character moments are given the time they deserve on screen. It seems that it's trying to be more adult with more lore and a darker tone, but also still gives Olaf an unnecessary about of screen time doing things that the little kids would laugh at. The pacing also feels quite rushed, even by kids movie standards. You could have cut 20 minutes out of this movie and it would have been just as good.
117 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joker (2019)
A Fantastic Character Study of a Famous Villain
12 October 2019
This film brings its own atmosphere to the viewer as you are taken on a dark but mildly hilarious journey of the famous arch nemesis of Batman. Phillips achieves this with NO CGI AT ALL! Which is a relief in comparison to the MCU films and other DC properties which have solely relied on this. Phoenix also lives up to his name of restricting a character which Leto destroyed in Suicide Squad and getting the audience to support Arthur's Fleck's descent into a life of madness, murder and violence on the streets of Gotham city. The last 20 minutes are a bit on the nose, but still satisfying to watch as the same. This movie single handidly puts the rest of the DCEU in the shade, and is well worth the watch!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Who: The Tsuranga Conundrum (2018)
Season 11, Episode 5
Makes Love and Monsters look like Casablanca
10 December 2018
This episode does not work on any narrative level and I laughed throughout. There are no consistent tones, completely pointless characters and the episode stops halfway through to explain a fictional machine whilst the most contrived alien ever is eating thier ship. This is like a fever dream that we simply don't care about because all the side characters are so poorly written and acted. I don't know what Chibnall was trying to achieve here, but he has written an absolute embarrassment of an episode which is a scar on the proud 55 year history of this show.
35 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Who: The Witchfinders (2018)
Season 11, Episode 8
Loved the atmosphere but watched in disbelief
25 November 2018
Whilst I thought the episode did a great job creating a fantastic atmosphere and visual Stewart setting, I found that the set up for the episode was too convenient. The Doctor being tried for witchcraft could be seen a mile off before the episode even began. James I didn't sound Scottish enough and I felt like more time could have been given to the aliens. I was interested in this world but couldn't step into it.
22 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.