Reviews

1,907 Reviews
What's My Line?: Paul Newman (1959)
Season 10, Episode 19
Satisfactory Despite the Panel Getting Whipped
13 August 2019
Paul Newman did 2 guest shots on here, one with Joanne Woodward and this one while Joanne was not available due to getting ready to have a baby. This is the kind of episode that's fun to watch if you want to see a clueless panel shut out as they get nobody right, not even Newman. Bennett Cerf is getting ready to leave town. David Niven is sitting in for Dorothy. He is of little help.

Interestingly enough, while doing so horribly, the panel never stops the procedure for any conferences. Considering how far they are off on every contestant, I doubt if a conference would have helped anyhow. There are some interesting sequences, but the reason they get thrown off on mystery guest Newman is because he had 2 films on Broadway, and the panel is not sure from his answers about movies which way to go.

We do learn that besides the movies, Newman still has it in his heart to do more live television. Earlier in the 1950's he had already done some. There is also a mention of Newman's considerable Broadway experience which we seldom associate him with now. This is a solid outing for the series.
A Fun Trip out of the Neighborhood Into The Future- Tingle
10 July 2019
This one has a pace that never stops, plenty of action, and enough emotion to carry the story. Tom Holland does well as Parker/Spidey and he has plenty of support in this one. Rather than go over all of the cast, and warning Spidey's head nearly explodes at one point in this saga, lets show a sign of my age first.

With all the locations, stunts, and fast movements, those items remind me of some of the Bond films. Now that you know how old I am, isn't it fun when Spidey's cell phone reminds him not to text while swinging. Of course Peter Parker has a girlfriend, and she gets to know him pretty well in this one, especially when he strips in front of her. He also strips for a female customs agent but that is to be expected with all this reaveling between borders.

The big spoiler is really who can Parker trust, and who can't he trust. The plot twists here might surprise you. Meanwhile, wow Spidey's Aunt Em (Marisa Tomei) can still model jeans which shes definitely packed into. This one has another great soundtrack. The Marvel music choices always seem very good and this film is no exception.

There's a new Avenger world on tap, and some heros we really need. Then there is monkey man, and some other diversions thrown in. This one is definitely a great summer respite from dull movies. Marvel scores again. It is good enough that the Peter Tingle scores.
Great Spy Thriller Faster Than Real Intrigue
9 July 2019
Robert Redford is the Condor a year earlier than playing a reporter for the Washington Post bringing down a President. In this one, the entire CIA seems to be down on the Condor. The reason for it is that Condor, whose job is a book reader looking for intelligence for the CIA, has written a report detailing a possible plot of the CIA to take control of a piece of the world's oil supply in the Middle East. Hard to imagine this is years before the US started meddling in the Middle East for just that reason.

Condor is in danger after he submits his suspicion through his boss up to the next level. Then, he gets a report from his boss that there is nothing to his report. He goes out to lunch and when he returns he finds all 7 of his co-workers dead. Amazingly, he is just late enough to miss their killers by minutes. He is totally puzzled why they have all been killed. It takes Condor more than half to film to figure out why. He avoids several attempts to kill him and then enlists a reluctant Faye Dunaway to help him out.

There is an excellent supporting cast here but the big thing is Pollock's direction as he handles this story and cast expertly. Even though President's Men has a great name director the following year, I don't think that film would not have lost a step if Pollock had directed it. The New York filming locations including the World Trade Center are used well here too. Haunting plot involving the Middle East years before 911 are abundant. The CIA has rogue agents involved in this plot, and Max Van Snydow plays the ultimate red herring in the plot scheme.

This film not only holds up very well, but to me is more impressive now than when I first saw it in the theater first run years ago. It is actually one of Redfords better roles. The intrigue is heavy, and so is the suspense. It does remind me a bit of North By Northwest, though Cary Grants role is even fuller than Redfords is here.
Straight Documentary, Sherman History
1 July 2019
This does go beyond the march to the sea. But first it goes over Shermans entire life prior to that. It has photos and music to keep the viewer going. It is done in a long verbal thing with no action, just photos.

There is material here about the relation to the gold rush, and to the Indian wars that sherman was involved in during his life. It metions his losses of 2 sons. There's lots more details too. What is interesting is because of Sherman's march to the sea to defeat the Confederates, the hero status over rides the part of the eradication of native americans that Sherman was involved in. So while we ignore that, we are not taking down his statues in the same way we are taking down other Southern peoples, statues.

Sherman's stance on Slavery is highlighted here, and even that while he lived in Louisana prior to the war is controversial. He only felt that slave owners should improve the slaves living conditions before the war. It is his brother who convinces him about abolition, and takes him to meet Lincoln for the first time.

There's a lot more to Sherman and this documentary very well covers all of it. Worth a look for the history content.
The Spoilers (1955)
Alaska Gold Rush Times 5
30 June 2019
Rex Beaches 1906 novel had been done 2 times as a silent film, twice as a sound film prior to this outing. So the plot had been used and reused with slight differences. This one pretty much follows the same plot.

The 1942 version with Marlenea Deitrich, and John Wayne is better that this one for star power. The 1930 version starring Gary Cooper was once in a late show tv package in the 1960's but is now considered a lost film. The silents are impossible for most modern viewers to watch. That brings us to 1955.

Rory Calhoun is a fairly big name actor, while Jeff Chandler is most comfortable in formats other than westerns which even though this is Alaska, it plays mostly as a Western. Anne Baxter is okay here. In fact the whole cast is okay. That's the problem, as this film really adds nothing to the previous versions and the stars are not as good as the John Wayne / Randolph Scott version.

This version is currently on Grit. Would love it if the channel could run the Scott/Wayne/Dietrich version with this as a double feature. If they could run the Cooper version too, it would make an interesting triple. Especially with all those bulb head commercials the channel runs. If they could remake it today and make it more of an "R" rated film, it could actually sell tickets. With a good cast, it could be re-made well and use some modern effects and some :mature loving plot to update it.
Boardwalk Empire (2010–2014)
Neat Fictional Drama
27 June 2019
What amazes me about this one is how HBO took some real characters and built a fictional mob world of Atlantic City around them and with the help of a lot of pretty good writing hooks the viewer in. After watching the entire series, it takes Steve Buscemi's Nucky Thompson and makes him into a mob icon. It's all done pretty well.

There's a lot of plotting, death, destruction, and enough women to keep the interest. This series is strong because besides building Nucky into a larger than life character, it takes the female characters and gives them some twists and turns. These women are not helpless mob molls. At times they are complicated, an a welcome add on to this mob series.

This is not the Sopranos, as it is set in the 1920's and 30's prohibition era. It does bring in a young Al Capone, and several other real mobster's for window dressing. It centers on the Atlantic City Boardwalk but does move to New York City and Chicago at times. HBO always gets strong series from the mob stories, and this one sure is strong. Most of the filming is done in New York City. It feels real and that is the important thing that brings this over.

Kudos to the writers and actors for bringing in some black mobsters too as that is something which must have existed, but is not seen often. This raises the drama above The Untouchables era of writing and plotting. More writing and more characters really do help this series.
Charlie Chan Gets Shocked
27 June 2019
Warner Oland is in top form here as he solves an missing persons case and then proceeds to solve a murder. The plot and technology for 1936 is surprising. The plot thickens when Charlie finds clues about a missing person and then wires his mom that he is in the knowledge of same.

Then he goes to her town but before he gets there, the missing person arrives and he is killed before Chan can arrive. Then hi body disappears so no one knows about his death. The mansion he is killed in is a maze of hidden passages. Then Chan gets invited to a seance where everyone finds out about the death of the son who he had found. From here an intricate web of deceit is crafted as the suspect pile up and while the police pursuit of one man who runs seems the obvious one, Chan who has left his family all at home this time, has a lot of clues and people to sort out.

In order to do that, Chan uses some of the seance tools he discovers in the mansion to assist in his effort, plus the murderer attempts to strike again. One of the better films for both plot and technology. Much wisdom on display makes for excellent story.
Professional Amateur Jealousy For Charity
17 June 2019
It seems that Rob volunteered to produce and direct the neighbors in an amateur shows last year. He does not want to do it again this year because he had so much trouble last year.

There is a very smart song and dance number rehersal scene with Mary Tyler Moore showing she is pretty good doing both. Her Calyspo scene is excellent. Meanwhile Rob is having a problem casting Cleopatra. It seems he has Millie as Cleo but she is having way too much fun rehersing a kissing scene with Marc Anthony (Bob Crane). So Jerry, Millies hubby objects and Rob intially replaces Millie with Laura, his wife. Then Laura starts having too much fun rehersing the kissing scene too.

Then, to avoid these issues, both women are replaced by the single kindergarden teacher. When Crane's wife sees this, some other fur flies. The plot is all about emotional triangles. Still, it is harmlessly funny and seeing Lauras Calypso number is worht the time in a solid outing for this classic sitcom.
Gambling Necessity of Action Ironic Fix
2 June 2019
Charlie Chan thanks to friend who owns horse, Avalanche, and son who wants to bet on same horse gets involved investigating murder of friend. This is a solid Chan and Warner Oland gets more action in this one than in the typical film. He even punches out someone (sorry about that).

The film starts with a fixed race in Australia and Chan in Honolulu giving a lesson on blood spots. Then after thr race comes a telegram from friend before he is murdered on board a ship bound for America. This beings Chan who lost his 50 cent bet on Avalanche into the investigation.

Keye Luke is on board and in action too. His running around the ship being chased by the ships head steward eminds me very much of the Marx Brothers running away from the shipes steward in Monkey Business a few years earlier. Actually these 2 films would make a great short double feature.

Even though Australia, and Honolulu are in the story line, all the filiming was done in California including the race scenes at the famous Santa Anita racetrack. Irony is we need Chan to go back there today and solve a real mystery- beating dead horse. No horse die during this.
More Than Enough To Tell In U.S. History
27 May 2019
"Never has a race given so much, but has been given so little." That sums up the contributions of Black people fighting for the United States throughout the hsitory of this nation. The main casting here is extremely appropriate with Colin Powell introducing and Halle Barry as an bright and intelligent hostess. Being Memorial Day, I wathced this series for the first time.

It is extremely impressive. Much in the style of Ken Burns Civil War series, the backbones of this series are the letters and notes written and left behind by it's heroes. There are more of them here, than ever covered before in any History Class. Too often, History's focus, like the main stream media, is focus on the villians of history and not on it's heros.

This series finds and tells the story of many, starting at the beginning and going up to when it was completed in 2010. This story helps paint the picture of a country that is always in conflicts throughout history and points out that through the different values which were the paradox of Black History in the United States, there were Black Heros no matter what the circumstances. It is a story of survival and the giving of the ultimate sacrifice in order to survive.

This series last part concludes with the ultimate goal of a black President and the beginning of the war on terrorism, which still continues. While there are so many glorious heroes, there always seems to be the need for more. Still, it is important that this history is here, before it gets lost. Often, the series effectively employs the graves of those heoes we have lost to have history.

The main thing that has changed since this series, but remains the same too, is that the U.S. is still going to need more heroes. Today, as the upstart young Western Nation, we are under attack more than ever from outside, and from within. Those attacks never seem to being peace, but do bring more paradox to a nation that invented mass destruction, yet must keep fighting not to have that destruction destroy all of us.

For Memorial Day, while we pause to remember, and reflect, this series is a great reminder that despite how much and many we have lost, we are still going.
Welcome To Hell, Leave Everything At The Door
26 May 2019
There is nothing to spoil here, unless you like a rotten film. The actors try to carry this off, and actually I can't complain about the acting. As for the effects, ouch, I hope this isn't CGI because the effects are embarassing to put this mildly. Even CGI is not often this cheesey. I rate them a mild chedder, or possibly a goat cheese, feta as it is kind of ground up.

We have people getting sliced , diced, and whatever by someone know as the Drake. There is no real reason for the Drake, other than maybe he is torqued because he only did one Seinfeld episode? I mean, when I look at the movie as a sick joke, that keeps getting repeated for 90 minutes, then I gave it as low as I could rate it. Does that mean this one will become a cult Classic?? I doubt it.

The script loses continuity as several junctures, as even puts in a few things that make nonsense. The title does say it all, a Hobo with a shotgun, but even he does not get started for 20 minutes. Up until then, we are meeting the Drake and a bunch of others who lead us nowhere. Sadly it takes the hobo with a shot gun to start taking apart garbage and try to make sense out of it.

There's a rumor I read about an alternate ending. After watching this and laughing at some of the crazy stuff, I am hoping there is an alternate movie our there someplace. I believe I could take the out takes from this one and make a better film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maverick: The Maverick Line (1960)
Season 4, Episode 10
Well Doggies, Where Them There Hills of Dust?
12 May 2019
James Garners last show is an old reunion with Bart, going to the reading of an obscure Uncles will. The brothers don't exactly like the terms of his will forcing them to try to run a stage line at a profit. Meanwhile, there's a right of way owned by the stage line which runs through an attractive (woman's) ranch. The executor of the Uncles Estate is about the definition of a crooked lawyer whose trying to cook the brothers and the rancher's goose because the railroad is coming through.

Enter Rumsey (Uncle Jed Clampett) whose a career Gold Dust thief (he hasn't struck oil yet) without his Ozarks accent. The Mavericks have reached the end of the line for Bret, but it's been a good run. Garner leaves on a contract issue getting credit in 1 future episode he does not appear in. Of course, there is a land rush because of the crooked lawyer to cap off the plot.

If that does not beat all, maybe we need to note there's no poker in this episode.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maverick: According to Hoyle (1957)
Season 1, Episode 3
Poker Is King When Living on Jacks and Queens
7 May 2019
This program really did start out with 3 good episodes. It seems that Warner Brothers really is trying to make movie quality Television. The main person who benefitted is James Garner who went on to more success in both mediums.

This one does use Hoyles Book of Game Rules in a creative way. With Leo Gordon and the usual quality group of supporting actors plus good direction, this one stays above average for a tv show.

Westerns became an art form on TV in the late 1950's. Maverick is one of several top quality shows in this era. What is interesting is how this stuff then got spun into the 1960's where this basis then was used to get into Detective and Science Fiction. It's really apropriate that this show has already featured the future Mnnix. Meanwhile, Gene Roddenbury who would create Star Trek was busy penning scripts for Have Gun / Will Travel and Palladin. The 1950's was the nuturing of the maturing of televsion in the 1960's and beyond.

Maverick, and Perry Mason both got their starts in 1957. A great year for sure.
Long Shot (2019)
Put Your Brain Away And Enjoy The Romantic Humor
7 May 2019
Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron are terrific. The script knows enough not to take itself too seriously. The mix of direction and support work. There is adult material. There are silly moments. There's a slower than usual pace.

A lot of things about this movie fit the typical formula for a comedy. One thing that fits modern themes is a powerful woman. The difference is this woman does not seem to be a lady who accepts failure and then blames everyone around them for their lack of success. This woman is determined to achieve her goals despite the pressure to compromise.

The mix works as this includes not bowing to an acceptable romance in order to keep their career going. It includes not bowing to the pressure of those above in order to acheive their goals. Then there are the drug sequences which provide a release from the serious parts.

The politcal themes are played, but not preached. The romance is unlikely, but not without appeal. Then there are the disturbing messages about possible compromises which are something needed today. One thing unusual here, while there is money here, the super rich appear to be more like jokes which is a needed relief from the real world where the rich are all too serious. That's what makes this enjoyable, the class system appears to be stupid. That's why this works, because the class system is stupid, and a big target to make fun of.
11 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maverick: Point Blank (1957)
Season 1, Episode 2
Maverick Shoots Dead Joe Mannix
5 May 2019
Garner shooting Michael Connors is just a sideline to this one. Karen Steele (whose last guest TV role was ironically on Mannix in 1970) is the woman who becomes torn between Connors and Garner. She is plenty good looking and I bet in real life she could have handled both of them.

Molly (Steele) is involved in a bank heist of $100,000 dollars. She gets some really good embraces from both guys. Meanwhlle, there are several twists in the road including the planning of killing Maverick by shooting him in the face and passing him off as the other man (Connors) so that he and Molly can run off with $100,000 dollars togther.

Then things get complicated and finally, a really solid script and guest cast lead us to the good guy, Maverick, winning the day. While the formula would stay the same during the series run, this second episode is a really good start.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maverick: War of the Silver Kings (1957)
Season 1, Episode 1
Interesting Start - Bit of a Con Job
5 May 2019
Even though this series would get stronger, this first show is good. Leo Gordon who often play mobsters serves as one of the folks Breat Maverick (James Garner) has to deal with. What a supporting cast, as John Litel and Edmund Lowe head up a cast as good as any for am hour.

Waener Brothers really made some efftort getting this series going. The episode is based upon the book 'War of The Cooper Kings' with some modifications. Warners studios made a lot of good movies for many years in addition to the grea animation features of the Looney Tunes. The studio that was responsible for Bogart's Casablanca has nothing to be ashamed of here.

This is just the start.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Happened To The King?
1 May 2019
Normally, I picture a king sitting on the throne. Well, in this one compared to other Michael Caine movies, that throne this time is in the water closet. This movie is simply about as boring a robbery film as I have ever seen. I have to wonder if the true story is as boring as the story on film? If it is, that would explain this film which belongs in the recycle bin.

Normally Caine makes good movies. I am not sure what his script approval process is, but in this case his process got hacked. This makes the remake of Going In Style look good and that movie was dreadful too. I call this film a film to watch if your having trouble sleeping.

I does amaze me to see anyone commenting positive here. Of course the writer who created this disaster is only writing his second book. It appears neither book is any good if this film is a fair depiction of this original story. This film is a pain killer. By the time the cops finally arrests everyone, you wish you had a bowl of grass with you in the movie house. Glad I watched it on Prime.
Circus of Death & Financial Troubles In Bed Together
30 April 2019
Warner Oland and Keye Luke get togther here with the whole 14 kid family at the circus. It is not every movie where all of them are on screen.. Even Mrs. Chan gets a line in this one. While the mystery is pretty much formula, the entire thing seems to go ape before a solution is found.

The cast is pretty solid in a good outing here. Under the uncredited, is 7 foot, 2 and 1/2 inch Giant man John Assan shows up here. I note his presence here as years later he is in one of Harold Lloyds better silent comedies- "Why Worry?". If you have never seen this one, check it out as it is a very funny movie.

The Giant man helps everyone find the victim. Mystery here is quite good ans Luke actually has an important role in helping Chan to solve it. Number 1 son gets important mission. He also tries to date a contorsionist. That puts twist into plot. Chan has dinner with little people (who were in Todd Browings classic "Freaks" 4 years earlier). It is an important clue and delays family trip to Grand Canyon.

it's a lot of fun, and shows a lot of the strength of the films in a solid outing.
Classic Start For Many Reasons
28 April 2019
Shortly after Warner Oland was playing Dr. Fu Manchu, he started the Chan series with a film called "Charlie Chan Carries On". It is a lost film though a Spanish subtitled version using the same sets does exist. Shortly after Oland did that film, he did The Black Camel which brings us here.

In this one, early on, Oland encounters Bela Lugosi and their first sparring dialogue in this film is classic. The two of them spar the rest of the way through the film as Bela is a suspect whose a sort of mystic with a crystal ball. Bela actually secures a confession from a woman about a murder she committed. Then this woman is murdered. The picture of leads then clouds up from there as many suspects abound.

Despite the age of this film, the mystery holds up pretty well. So well in fact that in 1941, the not quite same plot is reused in Charlie Chan in Rio. This one was shot on location in Hawaii while the remake was not shot in Rio. In this one, Chan's assistant is totally helpless and has absolutely nothing to do with the solution to the murder.

The plot here kind of uses a device that is used in many mystery movies, all the suspects are gathered around the table and Chan points out guilty party, and gets them to confess. This formula still works, 88 years later, and has been used by many a detective writer.

Robert Young (Father Knows Best) is a young man in love with one of the ladies in the cast. He is a minor suspect. Even if you watch Charlie Chan in Rio, there are some slightly different twists than in this movie. Both films are good, but Lugosi's dialogue encounters matching wits with Chan make this one the better one. Slightly better, and good enough to make this series continue for many years and with 3 lead actors as both Oland & Toler would die during the film series run. Neither of them were murdered as far as I know and Lugosi doesn't bite anyone here. That comes later....
Pleasant Little Mystery For Pursuit of Murderer
28 April 2019
For those who think of a long police pursuit, this one has Chan and son going from Hawaii to Rio to arrest a murderess. Then Chan delays making the arrest long enough for her to sing and dance at night club with song written for the film. After the song, she arranges to elope with boyfriend and leave Rio on same night.

Then in a twist, she is murdered in her home before Chan can arrest her but after she has confessed to murdering a man in Hawaii, to a guy who puts people in trance using cigarettes and coffee. (Funny, but if Starbucks allowed smoking, this would be the perfect place to drug people with this formula.)

As Sydney Toler has replaced Warner Oland, here is a remake of the former's "Black Camel" with a less well known cast. Still the story presents some twists and turns as everyone has to stick around the murder scene, including the murderer. As this is 1941, at the end of the movie it is revealed in letter from honorable mother, that Jimmy Chan has been drafted.
Gleason (2002 TV Movie)
Not A Train Wreck But Not Accurate Either
28 April 2019
For a tv movie, this film looks good. For an accurate biographic film, it fails miserably. For anything honoring the great one, it falls short. There are some good points. Lets start with this-

Brad Garrett is magnificent in the great ones role. He does make Gleason's stage presence feel like Gleason is larger than life. The trouble is with a script which falls short of letting Garrett really show what he can do.

Of course, in real life Gareett was Art Carney to Raymond Ramano. Here he takes the lead well, which is something Art Carney proved he could do too. Luckily the actor with Art's role did not do that many scenes because Carney was a bigger piece of Gleasons success than is shown here.

The shame here is Gleason is so much more of a person than this script allows him to be. I guess the reason is a tv movie just does not have time to do it right. It's too bad as Garrett's great job is sort of wasted by a narrow script. Bang, Zoom, Pow, there's a lot of Gleason not here. What little is here is a pleasure, but does not compare with the real work done by the great one.
Excellent Might Understate This Marvel Film
28 April 2019
Everybody is here, Stan Lee even gets one more cameo. What is interesting is the storytelling and pacing. While the film is over 3 hours, it really does not seem that long. The opening sequences are not like a typical film of this genre. It starts with a family outing where someone is trying to put mayo on hot dogs. That is the first thing that is amiss. The film does follow up the previous one in the series. It does not fall into the trap of just reversing the defeat. It slowly goes along developing the process of how to do it, and then twists things into another dimension. It works magnificently. This film leaves the mold and yet finishes with a predictable ending, but not the way you'd expect. The real magic is making over 3 hours go by quickly, but the laboring is worth it. To tell a story well, and develop the characters properly, this film is like a great feast, and the preparations are so complete, that I can only say "Well Done". It would have been easy to lose the viewer with a plot that jumps around in time, but here you can follow time despite that. It would have been easy to make the ending too violent. Here, it is done just right. It would have been easy to get too emotional, or not emotional enough. Even that trap is not fallen into. Even the Fox runs well in this one. A must for Marvel fans, and a great end game for Stan Lee.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Cast Not Ready For Primetime Yet.
25 April 2019
While this cast has big names, the script by John Hughes is average, and the main cast is just not experienced enough to bring the script up a level. Kevin Bacon is not mature enough yet to handle this role. Alec Baldwin is forgetable in this one.

The plot of the script is obvious. The best actor in this cast is William Windom, but he does not get enough script/role here to show his talents properly. That is the trouble, throughout the film, wealthy characters who are too shallow to care about in roles screaming for a better written script.

I watched this one on regular television, and adding commercials does not help. A supposed liberated woman, yet she has the old values of wanting to have a baby. So she goes off the pill and then after 3 months of not scoring the slam dunk with husband, gets him checked to find out why. Bacons boxer shorts do not compliment him here.

Could this be better? The humor definitely is a bit sub-par. Overall, there's a lot of cameos by famous folks trying to support a main cast that is short on experience. This film should have been better.
Fox Produced Interesting Chan
12 April 2019
Warner Oland was always the best Chan aand Fox studios production makes this one an above average effort. Keye Luke is along as number 1 son, and the plot moves along quickly. The travel is interesting too. Chan goes over his travel plan from Hawaii to Berlin quite throoughly. Chan even rides on the Hidenburg blimp, this film before the blimp went up in flames.

There is another number 2 son who is quite forgettable. It appears Fox uses some olympic footage of Jesse Owens, but to avoid getting Nazi symbols on screen uses another olympics footage too.

The mystery is quite complex, but Chan is up to the challenge. Number 1 son Luke wins a gold medal in the 100 swimming. He also gets kidnapped by the bad guys trying to steal a vital automated pilot after he wins the medal. Chan has to do some pretty good manuevers with the German police to catch them.

Even though this is 2 years before World War 2 would actually start, there are signs here about the propoganda to come.
Sound City (2013)
Great Rock And Roll Storied Studio
4 April 2019
This is the city, Los Angeles, California. Van Nuys has a storied studio named Sound City until 2011. When you feel change coming, this city usually leads it. There is so much that happened here, this studio along with Muscle Shoals are 2 of the legends of music.

Here a large, all star cast goes through and tells the story of the fabled California studio of Rock. For 3/4's of the film, the film focus is on the studio. Then as the digital age comes in, one of the musicians of the studio buys the main board equipment as the studio is closing and relocates it in another studio he builds, trying to preserve the tradition he grew up with.

Of course a lot of the legends this studio created are getting long in the tooth. The film features a great interview with the now late Tom Petty. Sound City is a whose who of rock music studios. Along with New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, and Muscle Shoals the music produced in America by these places is now a staggering amount.

This studio is mostly about rock and roll. Other performers worked here too, but this movie paints a vivid picture of the soul of rock and roll. It foreshadows the fact that the digital revolution has it's limits, as that music is produced without the team work of traditional places. This is an excellent story.