Reviews

Treadstone (2019– )
More terrible fight scenes
23 October 2019
I cut it off 10 minutes into the pilot. The first fight scene has 11 cuts in 5 seconds. If you're going to do action you have to do it right. Pure laziness.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7 episodes in
15 July 2019
This show has some creative writing. That's what stands out to me. There's not a lot of humor but what's there is usually absurd in nature and hilarious as you'd expect. There's a lot of characters and the story is juggling multiple story arcs. It can be hard to follow if you don't pay attention.
Jett (2019– )
It was alright..
1 July 2019
..Until the third episode. When ep2 ended with him shooting her I knew the show was about to get stupid. There's no way they are going to kill off the title character. Sure enough, he fires twice hitting her in the arm and missing the second. He's a few feet away in a room and she's standing still. Really dumb.
8 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
80% filler
16 June 2019
I suffered through the first episode to write this. I watched it at 2x speed and was still bored to tears. I'm sure if someone edited this down to 3 hours there would be a pretty good movie here. I don't care enough to know so I'll stop here.

To give an example of how slow this is: the first 60 seconds consists of a slow pan of a wall. Count out 60 seconds in your head, it's a lot longer than you would think.
38 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Chef Show (2019– )
Not seeing the appeal
14 June 2019
It's just a couple people cooking food and hanging out. Bill Burr was the only saving grace in the first episode. I think I'll stop here. The actual "Chef" movie was pretty good.
6 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid
4 June 2019
Very enjoyable throughout. I liked the way it was filmed. I only laughed hard once but I was entertained the entire time. His TV shows never did much for me. I sorta liked "Men of a Certain Age". I thought this was better than anything else I've seen him in, aside from "Get Shorty" but he's more of a support character there.
It's Bruno! (2019– )
A different kind of comedy
29 May 2019
It's refreshing seeing something new that brings something different from the norm. There's no real way to describe the type of comedy here, you just have to watch it. Admittedly, not all the jokes work hence my rating but I watched it all and I feel it was worth my time.
I'm shocked
29 May 2019
I hate 99% of action scenes with their shaky cam and cuts. It's easily my least favorite genre because of how awful most of them are. Thankfully this has none of that.

I'm shocked that an action movie directed this well is sitting at a 6.2. I almost skipped over it. This is a big step up from the first Ninja movie which I just watched when I realized this was a sequel.

Movies this well directed don't come by often so if you're reading this I highly suggest checking this out.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Shivering Truth (2018– )
It's a must watch
27 May 2019
Whether you like it or not is another story. At first I did but with each episode your brain erodes more and you sit there unaffected by what you're seeing, numb to it all. This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen. It's as if the writers dropped acid and wrote all their thoughts down and here's the result.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Detour (2016– )
Funny but so much more
16 March 2019
Having just finished the first three seasons for the second time I'm writing this. There are a bunch of very funny moments of which most shows only dream of, but what stands out to me is the storytelling.

Most comedies don't really push for an intelligent storyline because why would they, people are watching to laugh. This show goes beyond your typical comedy in it's clever storytelling. To explain further would require spoilers.

Edit: Season 4 is much worse than the previous three. It ended on a cliffhanger so hopefully season 5 is a step up to the days of old.
Black Monday (2019– )
Nah.
13 February 2019
This is labeled a comedy. Problem is, it isn't funny. The ending of the first episode was fairly interesting but certainly not enough to get me to watch another episode.
14 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childrens Hospital (2008–2016)
Absurdity at its finest
13 January 2019
One of the most laugh out loud comedies there's ever been. Every episode plays out like a family guy skit, you never know what these people are going to say or do. It's amazing that there's only 21 reviews after 10 years.
Surprisingly good
10 January 2019
A reality show pitting people against each other in feats of strength, often allowing wrestling the opponent to win. This combat stance is one I've yet to see on a show like this. I like it. I saw a guy get thrown to the ground and he landed wrong on his arm causing his elbow to bend the wrong way. I've only seen a few episodes but so far they've had different challenges on each one.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Titan Games (2019– )
All flash, no substance.
10 January 2019
It's obvious way too much money was spent on this. Fancy graphics, elaborate set design, well known host. Every contestant has their complete life story from birth told because apparently that's what american audiences want.

Then we get to the tests, the reason people have tuned in. Instead of having many different tests the show decided to spend all the money on a few huge spectacles. I hope you like them because you'll see them over and over.

The commentator has little to add so he rehashes stuff you've already heard. "This block is 1000 pounds" "They are pushing 150lb slabs up the ramp". Yeah, I heard ya the first time.

I think the head to head aspect makes the show worse. In Ninja Warrior, because you had a time limit you could run out of time and not finish the course, not to mention you could fall in the pit and lose instantly. In this they always finish the course, the only thing that changes is whether they get first or second, and in most cases the front runner is so far ahead halfway through that all tension is lost since you know who is going to win, you're just waiting for the inevitable.

I watched the first episode. It has a 2 hour runtime but the show is actually 1h25m. It took 7.5 minutes for the first match, then another 10 minutes for the next one. Admittedly, near the end less time was wasted, they can't really tell their backstories more than once after all.

I'll watch another episode, hopefully they'll have different tests but I'll be skipping past all the filler.
9 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Innocent Man (2018– )
Don't bother watching
17 December 2018
Just read the summary on wikipedia. That only takes 5 minutes, watching this takes 6 hours. Making a Murderer this is not. I watched all 20 hours of that, this show started boring and stayed that way until I cut it off. I only lasted 2 episodes.
7 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trial & Error (2017–2018)
Another amazing show people aren't watching
29 November 2018
At the time of writing there's under 5k votes for this show. This is one of the funniest shows in recent years and no one's watching. NBC decided not to renew for a third season so here's to hoping someone else picks up the show and the writers are along for the ride.
Origin (2018)
First episode breakdown
15 November 2018
Japanese lead that speaks perfect english with no accent even though he lives in Tokyo. Flashbacks that I don't care about. The diversity checklist filled out. Dialog that consists of F bombs and lines you would hear on ABC family. Lots of bickering. No fewer than 6 jump scares.

The ship looks pretty good. That's the only plus I see.
72 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what passes as comedy?
10 November 2018
Jokes so bad the punchline feels like it's missing a laugh track. I lasted a whole 10 minutes before realizing any more time spent watching this would be spent better doing anything else. It might get better later in the movie, I wouldn't know.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For the fans
7 November 2018
Lots of great cameos by influential film buffs, such as Tarantino, and actors show up regularly too. Each episode focuses on a different aspect of horror and moves along at a nice pace to fit as many movies in as they can. I can't picture myself watching this more than once but for what it is it's great.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kids Are Alright (2018–2019)
3 episodes in
4 November 2018
The pilot was exceptionally funny, I keep my expectations low so this was a surprise. Promptly watched the next two. While not as good, they're still better than 90% of the crap on TV. There's no stupid laugh track, thank god. The show feels like Malcolm in the Middle. That works for me.

Update: I ended up quitting about 7 episodes in. The humor that was in the pilot never seemed to come back and with each episode the humor grew more stale until I realized I wasn't laughing anymore.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything about this is excellent
4 November 2018
Mike Judge knows how to make a good show. The animation is reminiscent of King of the Hill, but better and more defined. The show is better for it.

The first episode floored me. I'm not a fan of documentaries so this means a lot coming from me. I instantly queued up the rest of the episodes. I love that the episodes are 30 minutes and no censorship. This all combines into a show that is never boring.

Thanks to Cinemax, Judge, and everyone else involved.
The Rookie (2018– )
Cliche
18 October 2018
How much drama and witty banter can you cram into 42 minutes? Let's find out. It's a cop show on network TV, that should clue you in as to what to expect. I liked Southland so I gave this a chance. I watched the pilot; very paint by numbers. Any attempt at tension and camaraderie were lost on me.
20 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Corporate (2018– )
Love it
1 October 2018
Dry, deadpan humor. No stupid laugh tracks. What's not to like? Well, I will admit I don't like when shows put in curse words and then censor them, it annoys me.

Episode 3 was the highlight for me. Extremely creative direction.

There were a couple episodes that were so-so but the excellent ones more than make up for it. I'm psyched that a 2nd season was greenlit so until then!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Big C (2010–2013)
Fantastic
27 September 2018
I watched it in its entirety a few years back. Out of boredom I am currently watching it all again. Halfway through season 2 at the moment it's as good as I remembered. You'll laugh, you'll cry. This is an underlooked gem.
Loudermilk (2017– )
Lost it's edge
25 September 2018
It starts off as a strong comedy and transitions into a weak drama. There are some great characters in here, I particularly like the old guy in group. Even though I think the show got worse as it went, I'll check out season 2.

Update: I watched 2 episodes of season 2. Ron's character is the only thing good about this show, it's humor is completely gone and I with it.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.