Reviews

Emo
16 July 2019
Corny emo vampires deal with human issues despite being alive for centuries. Supposed to be humorous but I didn't understand why these two supernatural beings would relate to the world the way mortals do I.e. complain about air travel and regard death with alarm. Dialogue about Galileo and Shakespeare felt pretentious and empty to me rather than funny. Guess it was just too elevated for my taste. Poor Ian.
Cute romantic time travel
23 June 2019
If you're looking for a basic romantic comedy, this film hits all the right notes. Two sweet leads, a well-paced plot line with a slight sci fi angle (very slight) and a little bit of a mystery to solve. Enjoyed it.
Vice (I) (2018)
Unexpected take on the Cheney regime
23 June 2019
I enjoyed this film as an opinion piece but felt puzzled by some of its theories and antics. I appreciated the satire of the major players of the Bush 43 administration and its takedown of their disastrous decisions. The entire globe grapples with the repercussions of their selfish money-grabbing power-grabbing exploits every single day. McKay tries some experimental approaches from The Big Short and some of the set pieces worked better than others but by the end I was fatigued of them. Ultimately, I was puzzled by the theory the director posits that Dick Cheney's main motivation in life was the approval of his wife? Really??? He had no other reason to push for the invasion of Iraq but a smile from Lynne? By the end, I just felt sad that the only justice these war criminals will ever face is to be made fun of in a movie.
Watch for fun
23 June 2019
Funny and hyper-stylized superhero tale about the triumph of the ordinary. Enjoyed watching this even without catching all of the cultural references. The song in the end credits is particularly hilarious.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.