Reviews

The Magnum Opus of Cheesy 50's Science Fiction
1 June 2019
I came here to ask if anyone else noticed that when Dr Meacham flies from Washington DC to Los Angeles he passes through Chicago, then flies through what looks like the Sierra Nevadas during the summer, down to the Grand Canyon back up to the Rockies in winter then finally lands in LA.
Slender Man (2018)
Tedious
24 March 2019
And slow

I don't really have anymore to say but I can't leave a three word review.

So instead of a review I'll just say the HBO documentaryabout the girls who went crazy in real life and are now in mental institutions so much more chilling and compelling story.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Million Dollar Mile (2019– )
Hmmm...
9 March 2019
Who knew? Turns out The Running Man was a documentary.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zombeavers (2014)
Not the worse thing I've ever seen
6 August 2018
10 stars because it really is better than the 4.8 stars it has right now. It's actually a much better film than it's low budget looks would belie. Shut your brain off and just enjoy it for the so bad it's good B movie it is. I would definitely enjoy the sequel hinted at after the credits and Courtney Palm is definitely an actress I would like to see more from.
Lucky You (2007)
It's not Citizen Kane or The Godfather but it's not bad.
16 January 2018
I was surprised at how easy it was to like this movie. It's a simple romance picture with Drew Barrymore who is always delightful to watch. It's also a father and son rivalry picture. The cast all show up with their A game and despite a very formulaic script they entertain. Horatio Sanz and Robert Downy Jr deliver some very underrated performances. Robert Duval owns every scene he's in. If I was one of the other actors on this set I would have been learning at the feet of a master every chance I got. Frankly if Duval wasn't in it I would probably have turned it off but my bet paid off with a light little film that killed a couple hours nicely.
Great Film Footage
7 August 2016
This is the kind of documentary best saved for a rainy day when there is literally nothing else to watch. It can be slow moving at times. There's also a raw grittyness to it that distracts from the story. Many shots, especially at the beginning, are hand-held and very shaky. The film literally follows James Garners interactions with the cars. There is almost no mention of what else Garner had going on in his life. There's no sense of how Garner balanced racing with the rest of his life. There's no sense of how Garner interacted with the team off the track. It may well be that Garner simply wrote checks and showed up on race day. That's not a very compelling story.

If you're not into cars there might not be much for you here. If you are into cars then the race track footage from the drivers perspective and the track side footage of one hell of a crash make it worth seeing.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't tell if I hated this movie or not.
28 May 2012
Loved it when it was called the Hills Have Eyes. Passable acting. I really wanted to see it because since Call of Duty Modern Warfare I've been fascinated with Pripyat. I'm sure the setting will attract much attention. But there were so many hokey animals jumping out at you scares that they started to fall flat. I found myself wondering when the movie would end which is never a good sign. Like I said in the summary, I couldn't tell if I liked this movie or not. My wife felt the same way walking out of the film. Some might compare this to Blair Witch in it's low budget reliance on people talking about what is happening without actually showing it. Also, there is no stinger after the credits.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can the undead commit suicide?
11 January 2006
It's hard to blend comedy and horror and pull them both off. Twenty years before Shawn of the Dead made a zombie invasion chilling and funny Return of the Living Dead set the blueprint. This film plays back and forth between comedy and horror as if watching a tennis match but without losing the audience or feeling formulaic. That there are already 20 pages of user comments for a low budget film which the studio almost aborted shows how beloved this film is. However it's more then just entertainment it's a character study of what it's like to be undead. Although the film paints the cast in fairly one dimensional terms it treats the zombies with care and respect. These zombies are high functioning, alert and amazingly spry. Yes, there's the famous scene where one zombie orders up more policemen on the radio. There's also a scene where the living hold a conversation with the upper torso of one of the zombies and we discover why they want brains. This scene is more then just slightly reminiscent of the one in Independence Day where the president talks with a dead alien. The most poignant scene comes when we find out if it's possible for a zombie to commit suicide. At every step of the way the characters have a chance to fix things but only end up making it worse. Only Frank with his trip to the oven truly redeems himself. His sacrifice coming after he's pronounced dead by the EMT's again underscores how much more enlightened the dead can be.

Is this film art? You bet. It has foreshadowing, drama, genuine pathos and follows the Greek tragedy formula of taking place within one revolution of the sun. Is this film great? Again, yes. It really injected life into the horror genre with faster more cerebral zombies. Will this film change the world? No not really. Just sit back and enjoy.
Wind (I) (1992)
Awful movie. Great sailing photography.
28 November 2005
How can you make a great movie about sailing and then shoot half of the film in the desert? The short answer is you can't. If you love sailing and love watching sailboats this movie offers you all the sights and sounds of racing however marred by the occasional bit of inane prattling dialog. If you prefer your movies to not have a patronizing plot you've come to the wrong place. Maybe I just hate when Hollywood gets their hands on an action film but has to add in backstory that includes a bad love story. Thinking they need a love story to get the female audience to see it. It's a formula that seems to suck all the life out of the script and distill it down to pretty photography and vapid characters. Mathew Modine turns in a decent performance despite the garbage they have him saying. Jennifer Grey on the other hand plays it like she's still Baby stuck in that corner. She really should have approached her character as if she was playing Ferris Beullers sister. Clift Robertson turns in a performance so dull and un-inspiring one would hope the Academy would take back that Oscar for "Charly" as a warning for future actors to not phone it in. My advice is to watch it for the sailing with one finger on the FF button for every other scene.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Romantic Comedy
28 November 2005
This film is one of a series of romantic comedies filmed by Bill Forsyth in and around Scotland featuring young Scottish actors (and the occasional American). Gregory's Girl is a poignant coming of age film about a boys first falling in love and how surreal and unexpected that moment can be. Although the film is full of directors in jokes one doesn't need to be fully versed in the directors full catalog to appreciate the humor. I love the two boys who convince themselves that they'll find dates if they move to South America. I love Gregory's answer to the question about being able to drive "No but it runs in the family". That Gregory doesn't end up dating the girl he thinks but ends up with the girl he least expects happens to us all. That makes this movie timeless. Yet despite all the romance, the film is by no means a chick flick. There's plenty of honest humor and compelling story telling to keep even the most restless guy interested in the film.
Must See TV
24 November 2005
There's an old saying that a boy doesn't become a man until he does three things, share a beer with his dad, spend a night in jail and make love to a woman. Well now there are three things a boy must do in order to become a Nerd, build their own computer, watch William Shatner sing Rocket Man and watch The Star Wars Holiday Special. Until then he's just a geek.

I know "Must See TV" was an NBC slogan and the SWHS was originally on CBS but the sentiment is still the same. This absolute train wreck truly is "Required Viewing for all members of the Imperial Forces". Nothing I can say about this hasn't already been said before but I do add my voice to the choir when I say you can't call yourself a Star Wars fan if you haven't hunted down even a tiny Realmedia file and watched this farce at least once.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Star Wait (2005)
Nothing like Trekkies.
20 November 2005
OK so I saw this DVD at Target for three bucks and thought well you couldn't even rent it at that price so I'd be a fool not to buy it. What is it? It's a bare bones look at the lives some people lived out while waiting in line for a movie. Now OK some folks will think Fanboy or Geek or Nerd and dismiss these people as fools for sleeping on the sidewalk along Hollywood Blvd. Not me, I find them fascinating. Fascinating in the same way I find Phish Phans or Baby Boomers living in converted school buses following the Grateful Dead around North America fascinating. I like people who are into their own thing and don't care who knows.

These are raw nerds in their native habitat doing the nerd things they'd be doing whether the camera was there or not. The film captures this. That the film doesn't go into the whole Star Wars fan scene all over the country might disappoint people who think the documentary "Trekkies" is high culture. The film is not about Star Wars it's about people who want to see Star Wars in a particular theater on opening day. And that's what the film delivers.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ghost Ship (2002)
Shining on the water
10 October 2005
Despite the fact that it seems every bit of this movie was cribbed from other great horror films I liked this film a lot. This is a great horror film despite the fact that it's chock full of standard horror film boilerplate. Clocks that suddenly stop ticking when you look at them, little girls in party dresses, ghosts rising up out of the misty waters aren't anything you haven't seen before. Possessed people are locked up and meet their supernatural doom when no one is looking. Ghosts are visible in the mirror but not in the room. But it all fits together nicely to give the audience a generally creepy feeling. Wheat and chaff separate nicely and we're left with the scariest bits of horror in a paella of terror. OK I stretched that one. If you've seen enough horror to know what bits of Carnival of Souls Kubrick ripped off to make The Shining this movie won't offer anything new. But it's a fun hour and a half if you haven't.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mon Oncle (1958)
Some of the funniest scenes ever (possible spoilers)
26 September 2005
What can you say about a genius? That Tati was so funny his material was still funny after Benny Hill ripped it off. That Tati was so funny that his material was still funny after Jerry Lewis ripped it off. Mon Oncle often takes on the look of old home movies with static shot after static shot. It's the action in the frame that takes the film beyond cinema and into genius. Watch the wife complete her husbands outfit in the morning, just a camera on a tripod but hilarious. I think the funniest scene in the whole movie comes early on when a small dog growls at Hulot's grocery purchase. I also love the secretary whose dress is so tight she can't walk.

Tati as everyman trying to find his way in the modern world plays it straight as he bumbles everything up at his brothers factory. Make no mistake this film is about technology and mankind's inability to control it. But it's also a film about life in Paris after the war and how the new generation is leaving the old behind. Shiny new American cars outnumber the horse drawn wagon but haven't quite replaced it yet. Shiny new houses and office towers replace the city tenement blocks with their ramshackle floors built on top of each other. The old Paris is beginning to disappear and the new is just sliding in. That it's a comedy is obvious but strip away the laughter and you get a documentary about change.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Ha Ha (2002)
Boston... Land of the angry brunettes
9 September 2005
Sitting through this movie is just like the tedium of actually trying to find a date in Boston. This movie, much like most of the city of Boston is populated by men who can't find a date and the women who don't want to date them. So OK, the director basically held a mirror up to my early 20's when I was that underemployed guy sleeping on the floor on a foam pad with my girlfriend in that little Queensbury Street studio apartment. So OK it really is not a very forgiving city when you're single and lonely. Unfortunately in this film there is no real story worth caring about. Some shallow people do shallow things hoping no one notices how shallow they are by punctuating every movement with witty pseudo-intellectualism. Again, just like living in Boston. So for that I applaud the director. He really captured the Hub at its grittiest. That and the film is so refreshingly free of production values. It's like looking at old home movies of people you once cared about but have since outgrown.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There goes a happy man
7 September 2005
Every one has a place in this world, their reason d'etre. Some folks take years to find theirs and some never do. The happiest folks are the ones who've found their place early on and have arrived at a time where they can look back and appreciate what they've done. This short documentary is about a man who found his slice of life and is able to share and enjoy with all who will listen. That makes for an uplifting tale that's all sweetness and empty calories. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the snack but long for a more complete meal. The film portrays one side of a very simple man and yet I walked away from this film caring more about the music then I did about the man who collected it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rendezvous (1976)
Amazing Ride
18 June 2005
I just saw the Ralph Lauren car exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. In the gift shop they had this movie on a loop. I'm ashamed to say I paid close to thirty dollars for a 9 minute DVD but that's a testament to how amazing this film is. Who cares if the car doesn't get into all 5 gears or that it isn't going as fast as it seems. It's still an amazing piece of film footage. Once you see it you'll know where they got some of the inspiration for the video games GTA and Midnight Club. I swear I've seen imitations of some of the footage in those games. This film should have been one of the ones mentioned at the beginning of 'The Player' where the security guy is talking about long single takes in movies during the long opening shot. I'm going to go watch it again.

I'd like to add, now that I've seen Ronin I know where Frankenheimer got some of his inspiration.
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Stunt Man (1980)
No cgi
29 April 2005
If you hate computer enhanced visual effects as much as I do and really appreciate the traditional art of film-making this movie borders on the documentary. Here we have a film about making a film that gives up all of its tricks as it goes. There are shots explaining how the next shot is going to be filmed and then you see the shot as it's being filmed. Willing suspension of disbelief plays maddening tricks on you as you know you're watching a scene being filmed and yet forget that there's a film crew sitting right where you are that is filming what you see. In fact there are scenes where you can clearly see the fill in stuntman taking the place of our actor stuntman who is taking the place of our actor. And then we watch the dailies and see that the scene was filmed in what the French call "the American night" or we know it as 'day for night'. A subtle dig at the Truffault film released at the start of this same decade and loosely based on the same story.

And Barbara Hershey is really hot.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Live Aid (1985 TV Special)
Wish I'd seen it live
21 April 2005
I was just a young pup with barely enough allowance to cover a movie. I never could have bought the pay per view. Now that I'm an adult I'm paying a fortune for bootlegs and authorized versions.

That's the thing about nostalgia, what seemed unimportant as a child becomes the stuff that dreams are made of sitting in a cubicle all day. Still, the official release is worth picking up.

I'm disappointed some acts chose not to participate in the re-release. I guess Led Zepplin doesn't need any new publicity but if I was the Hooters I'd be begging for a chance to get back into daylight, never mind the spotlight.
I became a man sort of
8 April 2005
I have almost no recollection of any episodes of this show. Having said that I do remember that stirring feeling that my seven year old body underwent on those 8 odd Saturday mornings when Croft Supershow wasn't running Wonderbug. I didn't understand at the time why I was transfixed to the TV when it usually just provided background noise while I played with Legos. Those skin tight costumes even today shape my ideal of the female form. Well that and Linda Carters Wonderwoman. I don't know how I'd react to seeing repeats today. Perhaps I'd see them as Gatsby saw Daisy. The pale light of memory shadows all flaws. I'd probably think of them as cheesy. But damn those girls were hot!
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.