Reviews

Dating #NoFilter (2019– )
BINGO ! Luv it !
23 April 2019
This show is smoking hot fun in each episode. The format is simple - 2 different couples meeting for the first time while going on a date. 6 comedians watching the show and commenting on the antics of the dating couples.

Sounds odd but the show comes off as a perfect hoot. It is a reality show concept at it's best (even if some of it actually isn't real). The 6 comedians and their reaction and comments while viewing the program are the glue that holds this show together and makes it great fun!

10 stars fer-shure!
Nureyev (2018)
Only for ballet enthusiast
20 April 2019
If you aren't into ballet this is a big bore.

Very difficult to sit through and way too long for me.

Nureyev was crashing bore.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good movie with a problem
20 April 2019
And that problem is the plot line!

So many holes throughout this otherwise compelling story. Josh Peck as 'Daniel" gives a solid performance as a young man who seems to be torn by rejection and acceptance by others. We are left in the cold as to what he is in search of.

That odd cult led by 'Seth' seems more comical than serious. Why others would seek his approval remains a mystery. Then there's 'Jose' who seems a bit threatening in appearance and with his friends but he has a parental view over Daniel.

This film left me confused.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun flick
17 April 2019
A cute story of a man and a woman - both strangers - finding themselves trapped in the girls apartment after a one night stand due to a domestic problem next door that brings police swat team.

Throughout the plot we discover how this all came about and the ultimate effect the situation has on the one-nighters.

A sweet story with a few twist and turns to keep the story rolling.
Drift (I) (2000)
3 possible paths
17 April 2019
Writer/Director Quentin Lee offers us a simple story of a screen writers imagination contemplation 3 possibles story scenario's.

Everything we see is in his imagination. 3 possible love scenario's - Ryan, Joel, Leo with Ryan as the main character. And a straight best friend with a girl friend.

None of this is real because as seen at movies end Ryan is alone with his own thoughts.

Nicely acted and thoughtfully written.
Now Apocalypse (2019– )
Mesmerized
16 April 2019
I believe Gregg Araki's message in this series is how we can become stupefied by our own personal lives by following our desires instead of our logical selves. Then when our friends see how foolish we can become they step in and with their logic and reason to help you reflect upon yourself. But each one of us is entranced by our own personal lives by following our desires.

What I'm trying to say is we can often see the bad decisions in others but fail to see our own until someone points it out. The many conversations between the principle characters brings this to light. Their actions are the mesmerized life they lead.

The reptile monsters are just our own emotional selves taking control.
Hollywood the imagined place - LaLawood the reality
16 April 2019
Martin Short so skillfully presents a satirical look into how we can perceive Hollywood as all glamour; then at the same time gives us a satirical look at the sordid truth behind the sparkle.

A place full of people filled with ambition, ideas, dreams, broken spirits, and sometimes revenge. Jiminy Glick in LaLawood gets more than he bargained for and it's a good laugh for us. Both silly and profound - it's brilliant!
Entertaining but predictable
16 April 2019
A very nice story of a young girl with emotional limitations placing all her heart and determination on entering her manuscript for the next Star Trek movie.

What makes this story so pleasant is how Dakota Fanning brings her character 'Wendy' to life as a truly likeable person who's ambition to deliver her manuscript before the cut-off date over rules her limitations and she relies on her natural intuitive self to accomplish her dream. And in doing this she leans an important truth about herself.
Drive-In (1976)
This has that undefinble yet wonderful ' IT '
8 April 2019
I laughed and so greatly enjoyed this film I'm at loss for words to express myself.

For a low budget film "Dive-In" just sparkles with spirit. You can see the participants enjoyed the act of just being in this nonsense story of a small Texas town getting excited because a new movie is opening at the local drive-in. The kids pass time at the roller skating rink because there's little else to do in town. My favorite character is Enoch because he thinks he's something but what that is he doesn't know! Each character is easy to like and nobody tries to steal the screen.

Fun and funny film for just fun!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The mud puddle in the first story tells you what you're about to see
8 April 2019
I hope Shirley MacLaine's entry into her professional diary for this flick is 'hopeless flop'.

This effort at a big name movie wasn't much in it's day and seems much less now. Mostly just poor silly acting in seven boring short stories. With great acting names like Peter Sellers, Michael Caine, Vittorio Gassman, etc, etc. The movie can't get off the ground!

Vittorio de Sica tried but this one just keeps sinking.
Trust Fund (2016)
Don't trust this fund .....
24 March 2019
The bottom line is a big 0 !

I must state the first 35 minutes of this story (I'm not going to label it a 'movie') is rather interesting and kept my attention. BUT after that all the money spent on this disaster was a pitiful waste. It could have been put to better use buying food for an animal shelter.

The character Reese Donahue (who's Miss Wildthing in the beginning) becomes little miss goody thing and the syrup in this flick just keeps getting thicker and thicker. It's a hairpin twist from 'I don't care' to 'All I want to do is be good'. The only reason I stuck with this story was to find out what was to become of Milo. And it's a long wait for that and you still don't really know.

Awful!
I wish he had jumped off the Eiffel Tower
24 March 2019
A long boring unfunny rom-com .... in which I failed to see the comedy.

There's only one reason to watch, to suffer, to struggle through this flick. And that reason is Michaela Watkins as the mother 'Tillie'. She has all the best lines, the best attitude, and is the only believable character in the entire story.

Outside of her this story is hollow and oh so predictable. And how did Matt Walsh get cast as a romantic character? He's more like a evil scientist or a secluded bookish professor. And Reid Scott sounded like somebody from Chicago acting like he's from Scotland.
Kursk (2018)
Suspence
11 March 2019
As a movie this is top notch entertainment. I don't believe there is any attempt to capture what actually happened to these men who suffered so at the bottom of the sea. The story is taken from a true event and then expanded upon.

The actual suffering of this submarine crew will never be known. But they did suffer physically and were victims of a warped political system.

The most telling fact in this story is that Putin was the President of the Russian Federation at the time of this horrible event.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Hate Kids (2019)
Sweet and simple
10 March 2019
There's not much to write about this movie. Very simple story with a predictable ending. Each character has a charm to keep you entertained and the pace moving.

A sweet story of a successful author discovering an element within himself when a forgotten encounter comes back to interrupt his otherwise perfect life.

By the way - the authors house is a must see!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amusing flick
10 March 2019
John Callahan's cartoons were and still are genius in depicting life as seen from an oblique point of view.

As this film shows Callahan's life was 'rough do'ins' and the way it is presented here is neither tragic nor sympathetic. It just shows the making of this man. Not once did I feel sorrowful for his plight. The Jona Hill character comes across as a bit shadowy and untrustworthy but in the end that's no so.

If you are aware of the Callahan cartoon phenomenon at the height of his popularity this film is for you.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These losers are winners
4 March 2019
This movie Is just a an uncomplicated story of a group of young guys getting together to form a band named "Fingers" . They get the opportunity to hit the road and thus the story starts . The best part of this movie is the band itself and the singing . Gallner has a good voice and as I understand he actually did the singing . It's impressive!

A simple story without having to dip into the rough part of being in a rock band, on the road and looking for success . It's well worth watching !!
Mixed opinion !
3 March 2019
I both loved and felt let down after viewing this movie. The idea, the foundation, the concept of this movie is wonderful. But after watching I felt let down. Why? I am unsure.

Agatha Christie stories are a great joy for me. And this film is a fine addition - but it just doesn't grasp my interest. In other words I won't be watching a second time.

Finely written, nicely acted. But the ending came across as bit contrived. I encourage anyone into murder mysteries to watch this movie.
Jonathan (2018)
OH, please !
3 March 2019
This is the confectioner's sugar version of the jekyll & hyde story.

When the movie ended my first thought was - 'this is a stupid story'. At the half way point I was thinking - "why am I watching this crap?". The only thing I can say positive about this movie is that the sets were great. Minimalist with muted tones of color in all interiors and the photography is captivating. That's it!

Otherwise you can figure out the story within the first 30 minutes.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been a funny story -
27 February 2019
  • But the actors (everyone) are allowed to over indulge in their characters persona which quickly becomes an annoying bore. Plus with an intelligent editor this story would have had a greater entertainment value if it were only 45 to 60 minutes long instead of the current 1 hr & 30 mins.

Funny idea for a movie but it failed in trying to tell the story.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Bubble (2006)
Marginal movie with a moral message
27 February 2019
Here's my take on this rather needlessly long movie!

The balance of this story, the message of this movie, the morality of the plot, rest upon one character - Ashraf ! Ashraf ultimately gave into the sociopolitical hackery of his Palestinian cultural upbringing.

He appears to have no border problems with his access into Tel Aviv, Israel. Here he meets Noam, a young Israeli soldier. Love follows! In Israel Ashraf can follow his heart and openly love another man. Noam appears to have no inhibition in being openly gay - but Ashraf is emotionally in turmoil expressing his true hearts desire.

So Ashraf seeks his families approval. In doing so he incurs their wrath. He knew this would be their reaction but he seeks approval anyway. Ashraf then gives into the hate he was raised to believe and seeks his revenge upon Noam because Noam and his friends let Ashraf be who he truly is.

I failed to grasp just why this movie is titled 'The Bubble'. Because the main characters - Noam and his friends - seem to only seek to be who they truly are and reject the sociopolitical hackery they are raised to believe where instead Ashraf ends up giving into this mental bubble he was raised to believe even after he experiences the ability to believe otherwise.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2nd Season starts with a bang !
22 February 2019
At Home with Amy Sedaris is back for a 2nd season with all her characters and odd-ball situations she gets herself into. When you have a show this good a reviewer cannot write enough glowing praise for the entertainment and laughs this show brings.

My two favorite characters being Patty Hogg and Nutmeg !! I hope she keeps these two throughout this season!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Other Two (2019– )
Perfect ! ! !
22 February 2019
!!! To the point of distraction!! ! Luv it !

I have seen the first 4 episodes and was hooked on episode one. A delightful show with actors chosen and cast with precision. Helen Yorke and Drew Tarver couldn't be more perfect as sister & brother struggling to find their successful path while their younger brother 'Case' cannot keep success away from anything he attemps.

And Molly Shannon, Wanda Sykes, Richard Kind, add a perfect pinch of spice!

Don't miss this one! Please
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bel Canto (I) (2018)
Horny hostages and gourmet guerrillas
8 February 2019
I have never heard of the book this movie is taken from !

It's such an unbelievable story you have to watch it to the end. And when it's all over your first question will be -- "What"?

It's like pulling tape off a tape dispenser and suddenly you hit the end of the role and you haven't finished your project. You still need more tape!

María Mercedes Coroy and Ryo Kase are certainly the shine in this movie!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love (2016–2018)
Paul Rust !!!
5 February 2019
The writers - Judd Apatow, Lesley Arfin, and Paul Rust created an engaging series about just being human in 21st Century California. I haven't seen all episodes of each season but the ones I have watched have been fun and original entertainment.

Paul Rust is so perfect for his character I can't get enough of him.
An easy to like movie !
5 February 2019
Benchwarmers 2: Breaking Balls is a hoot to watch and laugh with.

This movie 'works' because - from start to finish - each actor comes across as taking their role to heart but not 'seriously'. In other words, they each did their best to have fun and that makes it fun for the audience.

The plot is charming, each character is engaging, and the dialog is spot on for the story! It's every bit as good as the original and a must see lighthearted comedy to brighten your day.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.