Reviews

The Con Is On (2018)
The Con is On: Worse than You can Possibly Imagine.
6 May 2018
After 'The Disaster Artist' something might have changed. And maybe now, some amongst us, might feel inclined to give a second chance to things that once we should have simply called 'trash'.

In this view, and in this view only (and only if you think you might be one of these persons), I could recommend you to watch this film.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia: a wonderful movie!
4 May 2018
Wow, what a wonderful movie! The present title has been made with greatest art and would deserve rivers of words to praise every fantastic detail the Authors put in there just to entertain and show us. But this isn't the place: simply put, user's reviews exist just to help others to decide whether or not to watch the flick. And my answer is 'yes, definitely'.

Just one word for Anatolia: the story is catching, the characters are interesting, the words are more than appropriate but the scenery steals the eye. Probably none wants to live there but Anatolia is full of life. Real, poor, human life.
I Kill Giants (2017)
I Kill Giants: A Man-written Girl Movie.
28 April 2018
Do you remember old war movies? Entire movies without a women? This is the opposite: girls, girls, girls... girls everywhere, only girls. A movie made of girls: young girls, adult girls, healthy girls, sick girls, nice girls, not-so-nice girls, brave girls, good girls... it was easy for me to like it, given how much I'm fond of girls.

Men? Not more relevant to the story than drones to the beehive. Including Covelesky.

It's nice, well done, full of fantasy and interesting details. I guess most people will like it: enjoy.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hostiles (2017)
Hostiles: A beautiful movie, unfortunately destined to not be liked by everybody.
14 April 2018
A romantic version of the fight between Us and the American Natives. True men, on both sides, with their good hearts, their skills and their regrets.

Images are beautiful and acting is sophisticated since there is much more silence than dialogue. Words, when spoken, are however meaningful.

The movie will not suit everybody's taste, I'm sure. And I'm sorry for this, since personally I liked it.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mute (II) (2018)
Mute: not bad at all.
9 April 2018
I watched this movie despite the negative reviews and I did it mainly because Alexander Skarsgård is one of my favorite actors. I was so conditioned by what I read that I didn't expect anything good. And I postponed watching for so long that when I finally came to see this I had even forgotten who was the Author.

So, if you already watched this, you can imagine how surprised I was: I feared to have condemned my self to watch something lame, built on a low (economic and creative) budget, with some kind of stupid plot bugged by annoying logical holes and so on... but this film isn't anything like that.

It's a good movie (Duncan Jones is the Author) set in a visually interesting future and built on a good story. Not a masterpiece but far from being the trash here described. Its righteous rate, on my opinion, could be somewhere between 6.5 and 7.

I don't know what to think about my fellow reviewers.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Phantom Thread: what a great movie !
1 April 2018
I'm always watching out for newness, for originality, for something I've never seen before: the more it strikes me (because I never thought it could be done), the most I'm interested, dragged to it. And on the other hand I look down (I know I shouldn't but I do) on everything that looks old fashioned or sounds dated. Which is peculiar, being myself an old man.

This is just to say that I hesitated a lot before going to watch this movie and if you understand what I just said and feel the same way I do, you'll surely know why.

But this was a beautiful movie that will make you relive old times as if they were new and will recall you of an other marvellous French 1969 movie (if you have seen it) that I won't name, afraid as I am of spoiling.

As its illustrious predecessor, the present movie simply celebrates love which, as known, is timeless. Or, as a Poet said, '...no season knows nor clime. Nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time'.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Vanishing of Sidney Hall: a good movie: almost a novel.
11 March 2018
An entertaining 2-hour movie, catching (manipulative...) since the first page: undoubtedly Shawn Christensen has talent (I liked very much his 'Before I Disappear, 2014') and a personal style.

The present title is based on a rich and convoluted plot. You might find it somehow 'old fashioned' because it's a little bit too dramatic and celebrates writers and writing a little too much...

But the overall result is actually good. And so are books' parts: hadn't been a movie, it could have been a good novel.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Downsizing (2017)
Downsizing: not a Comedy but a (good) Sci Fi Movie.
10 March 2018
It seems to me that whenever mankind reaches a satisfactory but stagnant condition, people start to worry about how this could come to an end. Or, in other words, to fear that we all are doomed to die soon.

Fears are fuelled by the available knowledge at that time: today it is the environment or the asteroids but I guess that the feelings were the same when the threat was Gods' wrath.

Alexander Payne is a great artist and in this movie he addresses this matter in a most interesting way: don't expect a comedy, it's a Sci Fi flick by all means. A good one.
Icarus (I) (2017)
Icarus: Outstanding.
6 March 2018
I am a nerd and I watch (and enjoy) documentaries at least as much as I do with movies. And this is (by far) the best I ever saw, at least in its own genre.

Production level is not far from an Oliver Stone movie: images, editing, music, everything... is top level and I'm not surprised that they won the 2018 Academy Award.

Bur besides that, it's a catching and, however sad it could be, enjoyable story. Especially for those among us who are more interested in human behaviour than in moral judgment.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Last flag flying: Moving Movie.
21 January 2018
I won't try and say anything clever about this movie. I will just reassure you that by watching it, your time will not be wasted.

If you are from U.S., served your Country (whichever it could be) or been close to someone who did, I'm sure that you will appreciate it and understand it better than I did.

If you never wore a uniform, or cared for anyone who did, you will simply like it, I'm sure.

As I just did.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Coffee with Ana: nice flick, don't let the amateurish acting scare you.
5 January 2018
Let's be clear: this is a very very Indie Movie... and to be completely honest, it could compete in a Local Championship of Bad Acting.

But it's not pretentious and watching was absolutely pleasant for me: images are cool, camera is steady, shots are perfectly centered, the story flows with ease and follows a logical theme. Dialogue is actually good.

Everything revolves around Camila Jurado (who really is an actress, and a very good one too) who graciously carries the entire thing on her shoulders. Anyway... I feel like recommending it and I send my compliments to the Kings (father and son) together with my best wishes for the future.

A fine romance (as Dorothy Field would have said)...
Breathe (I) (2017)
Breathe: a British top-notch Production.
2 January 2018
If I may give an advice to you, don't read anything about this film. Just watch it: the less you know, the more you'll be wonderfully surprised.

Perhaps all you'd like to know is that it's a British top-notch production, based on a really interesting story, with a flawless script and an excellent cast. A very entertaining 112 minutes.

And yes: Tom Hollander is playing the Blacker twins. Both of them. And they sing together 'Goodbye-ee'.

Enjoy.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: a Marvellous Movie.
1 January 2018
In any form of art things are different from real life. Even the greatest artist can't tell a story exactly the way it went: fiction and reality are two different things. And they should stay that way otherwise you wouldn't enjoy watching a movie or reading a book: you'd be watching a documentary or reading a handbook.

The realm of Fiction is lifelike representation, in all its styles (which could be many) and this movie is a masterpiece of a new American genre, that still doesn't have a name but counts some illustrious predecessors such as 'Hell or High Water, 2016'.

The script is as good as its characters, which are fantastic. And the cast displays infinite art in playing them (I dare you not to be impressed by Sam Rockwell, above all).

So it's not a real story but is a beautiful one. And whereas Reality can be nice, Fiction can be marvellous.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jack of the Red hearts: An OK Movie.
10 November 2017
A stray girl and an autistic child: I'm sure most of you can figure out what kind of film this is. But doesn't matter: what matters is only how convincing is the story, how endearing are the characters and how much, in the end, you'll care for their destiny...

And, according to me, this movie is OK: the story flows with a good narrative balance, AnnaSophia Robb will surely charm you, Scott Cohen will show what a gifted musician he is, by the way, and everything will go fine, from the beginning to the end.

I'm not inclined to give it more than a 7 (out of ten) only because I'm old and I have already watched too many movies. But besides that, this is a quality film and a very good cast.
Wind River (2017)
Wind River: An Excellent Movie.
6 November 2017
Taylor Sheridan has the gift of creating catching stories, which is writers' most valuable quality: an ability you could simply have or have not.

So even if the cast was exceptionally good and everybody did great, you can't help but notice his script, his direction and the atmosphere he created.

The present title is a thriller (just like 'Hell or High Water'), full of lovely and endearing characters. You'll love the people, the place, the snow and everything... and at the end you'll probably find yourself waiting for a next title from this very talented Author.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overdrive (2017)
Overdrive: (very) stupid but enjoyable.
10 October 2017
Scenery is great (Southern France seashore in Autumn), Opening scene is catching (none can deny it), Ana de Armas, Clint Eastwood's son together with other nice guys and beautiful girls help keep interested, script and direction are good (very professional), dialogue is entertaining… in other words this title is an 87 enjoyable minutes.

Personally I'm not fond of cars and I don't think the 'Fast and Furious' franchise was so clearly better. Surely it ain't more clever. So, if you like action movies and you want to watch something light, relaxing and entertaining, my suggestion is to feel free to enjoy without listening to needlessly scandalized reviews.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Baby Driver (2017)
Baby Driver: Great film. Easy to appreciate if you love comics.
29 September 2017
Edgar Wright has two souls. One is his Simon Pegg, British (he is actually Brit) comedic soul: Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, End of the World… enjoyable movies, nothing to say (except maybe that the latter was not so funny).

Anyway what i really like is his International (US, Canada) Comic Book soul: Scott Pilgrim vs the World! A fantastic and original movie (based on a comic book) and this last one, Baby Driver, whose reality and characters (Baby, Doc, Bats…) are taken by all means from a comic book. Except that there is no book and everything was made by his imagination.

The film is really good. A stellar cast. Few incredibly good scenes, maniacally cured down to the last word and to the tiniest detail. And music sync, fresh and meaningful as it was in 'Steamboat Willie' Disney, 1928.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Message from the King: a TV movie.
12 August 2017
This movie puts together some among my favorite actors: from Alfred Molina to Luke Evans or Teresa Palmer or Chadwick Boseman, and follows an intriguing storyline.

Unfortunately (on my opinion) the final result suffers the destiny of many TV movies: a plot doomed by annoying logical holes, an unkempt sequence of events and an (even more disturbing) insufficient development of key characters…

Too many good actors for a missed opportunity.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Sweet Pepper Land: Actually what really appeals is Kurdistan!
27 May 2017
A very nice film, with many good qualities.

First of all the cast: the pretty (and talented) Golshifteh Farahani and the less known but equally intriguing Korkmaz Arslan, together with several convincing actors in supporting roles. Interestingly, neither Farahani nor Aslan are Kurds (she is Iranian and he is Turkish…).

Then we have the undisputed talent of Mr Hiner Saleem (who really is Kurd), whose filmography already has gained him a well deserved fan base.

Finally, you'll see Kurdistan. The ugly, cold Kurdistan with its stony hills and gaunt landscapes. Poor, superstitious and dangerously undeveloped, with its violent attitude and undersized rides. And you won't be able to help but like it.
Viking (2016)
Viking: Why didn't they Call it 'Vladimir the Great'?
13 May 2017
A beautiful movie about Vladimir I of Kiev and a fine chance to get more familiar with Eastern Europe's Medieval History.

Shot with artistic talent and historical accuracy, the movie shows the clash between Scandinavian, Rus, Greek-Roman and Turkic populations at the dawn of the second Millennium.

And Russian historians are among the finest on this period (those who have an interest in Byzantine History know very well who Georg Alexandrovič Ostrogorsky was) so I would not agree with those who complained on this matter.

Calling the movie 'Viking' shows a sophisticated knowledge of Saint Vladimir's life. But it might be deceiving for greater audiences.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Palmeras en la Nieve: Highly Recommended
12 May 2017
The Cinematographic transposition of Luz Gabás' (first) fine novel.

It's a wonderful story, very well adapted for the screen by Sergio G. Sánchez (screenplay) and Fernando González Molina (Director).

It's a great emotional tableau, dealing with Universal themes.

So no matter what age, race or gender you are: you will surrender to the romantic charm of Equatorial Africa at the end of the Colonial Era.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gold (I) (2016)
Gold: an Unpleasant Great Movie.
29 April 2017
Maybe I have issues but I can hardly help it: I hate watching movies that celebrate self destructing characters who can't resist their own weaknesses and let them drive themselves down.

Matthew McConaughey in this movie is bald, has an horrible belly and drinks way too much (is it by any chance because of De Niro's performances in the 80's, that you have to be able to change your body shape to prove yourself an actor?).

He also talks too much and even though you can see that he is good-hearted you can't refrain from wondering why a slightly overweight but still pretty Bryce Dallas Howard doesn't desert him.

The present title, in other words, has not been a pleasant watch for me. But, believe me, is a great movie…
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone: Nice Flick.
23 April 2017
This is a Christian Propaganda movie and I'm an unbeliever. To be precise I made mine Captain Fantastic's lines where the children say 'We don't make fun of People … (Pause) … except Christians'.

This film was however nice. An Indie movie with an inspired plot and good lines. And art is art, no matter who makes it and what his certainties are. What matters is only the result and both Andrea Nasfell (Writer) and Dallas Jenkins (Director) are renowned artists, and all the Cast did well (Brett Dalton in particular).

So if you'd like to watch, sit down and breathe normally. Even though Christians will Try and Convert you, I've already been through it and made it trough the end unchanged. And so will you, I'm sure.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Matchbreaker: so much wit!
31 March 2017
This movie really stands up from many other similar comedies: I can hardly recall such a pyrotechnical and funny dialogue in the past few years. The authors (amongst whom you can find Wesley Elder, the main character, the matchbreaker…) were really inspired when they wrote this fine piece: one of quickest and wittiest cut-and-thrust ever.

A fine work with a moral teaching: being smart ain't enough. You got to be honest too.

The only really really sad thing is that (as you will probably know), we'll never watch and hear the lovely Christina Grimmie acting and singing any more.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
20th Century Women: An above-average and enjoyable movie.
29 March 2017
Mike Mills (movie's Writer and Director: I hope that you have watched 'Beginners, 2010'...) is such a clever man (and talented author) that you cannot fail to recognize his works. His hallmark are interesting stories where not much, besides love, life and death, happens. And the great 'being sincere while pretending' acting that he gets from his actors.

Hegel says that art should be completely useless, not even enjoyable: the only joy in watching should come from truthfulness. This could be a little bit scaring so I want to reassure you: the present movie is art but is enjoyable nonetheless. It's a comedy (or at least it looks like one) and is never boring.

It's one of the nicest descriptions of the 70's I ever watched. And I guess that Author's way of expressing the peculiarity of some traveling by decorating running cars with their own light spectrum won't go unnoticed.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this