Zombi Child (2019)
Soporific development despite a nice ending
18 June 2019
Although the last twenty minutes are breathless, the introduction is languishing and lasts eighty minutes: one has overall the impression that the mountain has brought forth a mouse. The very ending is interesting but you'll have to be patient... very patient...
Japanese mirror
18 June 2019
A compilation of five Japanese short films with a common denominator: let's imagine what Japan could be in a decade. The atmosphere is freely inspired by the excellent series available on Netflix: Black Mirror (2011). I globally appreciated the five opuses, especially the first one (Plan 75) and the third one (Data).
They Live (1988)
They live... We slumber...
17 June 2019
I discovered very lately this legendary film, during an « UGC culte » evening, in Paris. They Live (1988) has certainly aged a lot but the diatribe against the exacerbated consumerism of the 70s and 80s is sadly still relevant. A decade after the well-known Halloween (1978), John Carpenter delivered a smart and well-built movie. Nowadays, it's definitely cult and a must-see!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An indecent masterpiece
17 June 2019
As Adolf Hitler starts ravaging Europe, a polish theatrical Nazi-satire is cancelled, the day of the very first performance. Nevertheless, while Poland is invaded by the Nazi army, the same theatrical team, with the same German soldier costumes, will deliver the best play of their entire career in order to thwart the actions of a spy.

This cinematographic gem directed by Ernst Lubitsch is built on a solid script, exquisite dialogues, and outstanding actors, especially Jack Benny, Carole Lombard and Sig Ruman. For obvious reasons, this indecent movie was initially coldly received: a comedy about world war II during world war II. This bitterness and/or bewilderment probably explains the blatant lack of nominations to the main Oscar categories. However, nowadays, we only remember the genius.

In bulk, ones of my favorite quotes: May I have your autograph, Mr Bronski? So they call me Concentration Camp Ehrhardt? To be or not to be. If we should ever have a baby, I'm not so sure I'd be the mother. They named a brandy after Napoleon, they made a herring out of Bismarck, and the Fuhrer is going to end up as a piece of cheese! Shall we drink to a blitzkrieg? Hey, wait a minute, you go to the hotel and I'll cross my fingers. I'm a good Pole and I love my country and I love my slippers. We do the concentrating and the Poles do the camping. Well, clearly it's nothing alarming, it's only Shakespeare. I'm willing to die for our Führer, at any moment, except for the next few hours. Schultz!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome in a world devoid of inventiveness!
16 June 2019
To maximize the audience, a blockbuster must now federate all the « categories » (I truly hate this word) of the world population with all the skin colors, all the sexual orientations, all the religions, ... as well as women in an environment a priori reserved for men, and for men only: the men in black. It will easily please the fair sex, thanks to a time-honored recipe. Not to mention a successful Computer-Generated Imagery. The result? Dull, blank and without any soul! A typical loose consensus based on a far-fetched script: wanting to please everyone, Hollywood bores everyone. Welcome in a world devoid of inventiveness!! At the risk of appearing grumpy, the original Men in Black (1997) was infinitely more enjoyable!
73 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A breath of fresh air
16 June 2019
Director Sophie Lorain offers us an excellent film with a dynamic rhythm and talented actors, about a world of teenagers who almost behave like adults despite a behavior sometimes irreverent. This film is mainly about love between these different teens, especially Charlotte interpreted by Marguerite Bouchard, an endearing, uninhibited and radiant teen.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stereotyped and boring
16 June 2019
Anna: she is a stifling spouse and a mother suffering of an excessive adulation for her newborn. She is globally ingenuous / childish, and she is able to overreact unpredictably. A pain in the neck or a living nightmare: your choice! Adam: although ultra-adorable, we wonder how he puts up with Anna, throughout the entire film. The ideal husband, no doubt! Together, they live in Paris and are invited to commemorate the seventy-fifth anniversary of the destruction of the birth village community of Adam's grandfather, in the very heart of Poland.

It's well played, especially with Judith Chemla and Arthur Igual, but the film drags on excessively and is sometimes almost soporific, because of cheesy dialogues and a script with a blatant lack of originality. Thus, the scene with Irene and Anna, at the birthplace of the grandmother, is supposed to be, I think, an outstanding opportunity for a mother-daughter catharsis. But it just falls through. Knowing that we barely stand Anna for one hour, how to empathize with her, even during a few minutes?

As a postscript, I did not understand the movie title. At all! Dixit Wikipedia, a honeymoon is either a holiday taken by newlyweds immediately after their wedding, either the lunar month following the wedding. I was not aware of the second part of this definition. However, we repeatedly hear that they go to Poland to commemorate a painful event related to World War II. So... could anyone explain the relationship between World War II and a honeymoon?!? Is this supposed to be funny?... philosophical?... spiritual? Well, well, well, for sure, it's messy!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very disappointing
15 June 2019
Another movie with a dummy scenario. It's really disappointing because, even if it's definitely not a masterpiece, the film is rather well done and well interpreted. Nevertheless, it's crippled by a script polluted with a few completely far-fetched plot twists.

So... when Lizzie cuts her right arm with a butcher knife, Charlotte has a satisfied or even perverse look. In fact, we may think that she acts so out of jealousy. Moreover, everything is done to make the audience thinks in this way. But, this behavior was driven by empathy and kindness: she tried to save her new best friend. Of course!... Uh ... how to say it gently? That's desperately appalling!

With a scriptwriter worthy of this profession, the movie might have been immeasurably better.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very disappointing
15 June 2019
Another movie with a dummy scenario. It's a shame because, even if it's definitely not a masterpiece, the film is rather well done and well interpreted.

When Lizzie cuts her right arm, Charlotte has a satisfied or even perverse look. In fact, we may think that she acts so out of jealousy. Moreover, everything is done to make the audience thinks in this way. But, in fact, no, no, no, no! It was by empathy and kindness, in order to save her new best friend. Of course!... Uh ... how to say it gently? That's desperately appalling!

As a conclusion, a message in a bottle kindly intended the producer of this movie. Could you please produce movies with a scriptwriter worthy of this profession? Or don't!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sympathetic live extracts polluted with appalling comments
15 June 2019
Documentaries are usually not my cup of tea. And Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2019) is sadly one of them, with an annoying alternance of live performances of Bob Dylan (yes!!!) on the first hand, and monologues or conversations as superficial as pointless (no, no and no!) on the second hand. This is probably reserved for hardcore and unconditional fans of « Bob Dylan + Martin Scorsese », no matter what. For instance, we learn that Bob Dylan smokes with, I quote, an « European style », thanks to a John Doe. Really ?!!? Just missing a scene during which Bob Dylan reads an antique phone book, with a female blonde carefully listening and concluding with « that's interesting ». In fact, this scene almost exists: Bob Dylan discusses about mental marriage with a woman who obviously wants something more than this discussion. Thus, I gave up after 30 minutes and I left this documentary in background music despite the appalling blah-blah-blah. As a synthesis: not for me, and, a posteriori, a cd or a live Blu-Ray of Bob Dylan would have been undoubtedly a better choice.
14 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Roxane (2019)
Organic is outmoded. Organic with Cyrano is the new trend!
14 June 2019
A nice and elegant surprise from Mélanie Auffret, a young director with a great career ahead of her, undoubtedly. It's a poetic and surrealistic tale in the Côtes d'Armor, north of Brittany, with Raymond as a main protagonist. He is an organic farmer who regularly and secretly reads Cyrano de Bergerac (Edmond Rostand, 1897) to his hens. In front of an imminent threat of bankruptcy, Raymond will have to work twice as hard. In this respect, he will develop his passion for theater so that the public gives an overwhelming support to his talent and thus gives credibility to its agricultural activity! Although sometimes patchy, this movie is built on a strong and original script, and the actors are talented, especially Guillaume de Tonquédec. As a synthesis, 6/7 of 10.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gem despite a slow start
13 June 2019
The first twenty minutes are disconcerting and are almost an invitation to leave the movie theater, cursing the friend(s) who invited you to see this movie. Nevertheless, after the introduction, the movie is quite hilarious. If you like zombies and comedies, this movie is right for you!

As a postscript, according to IMDb, the budget is about 25.000 USD. Incredible!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greta (2018)
A frustrating and disappointing psychological thriller
13 June 2019
A patchy and irregular film crippled by a script written on a tiny Post-It with a few completely far-fetched plot twists that I will leave untold so as not spoil the movie. The cast of this American film is notably composed of Isabelle Huppert, one of the most famous and talented French actresses, with Romy Schneider, Catherine Deneuve, Stéphane Audran, Simone Signoret or Marion Cotillard. Although she is gorgeous, she vainly tries to save this literally incredible movie, not to mention Colm Feore or Stephen Rea, two secondary actors in this movie that we do not see often enough on the screens. With a scriptwriter worthy of the profession, the film would have been significantly better. Moreover, I have really a hard time recognizing the style of the director of The End of the Affair (1999), Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) or The Crying Game (1992). As a synthesis: frustrating and disappointing.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A prequel based on an European road trip and revenge
10 June 2019
Strange opus with a rather complex feedback: I really like certain aspects of the film while others bother me. First of all, I think it's a critical mistake to explain the origins of an imaginary evil character. Indeed, it's always better to confine a reader or a spectator to the darkness so that he's always able to imagine the worst. Moreover, in doing so, we find ourselves in a rather embarrassing situation of being in empathy with Hannibal Lecter: failing to be forgivable, a revenge is always understandable. Despite this rather negative introduction, the actors are excellent including the enigmatic Gaspard Ulliel and the gorgeous Li Gong, and the film enjoys a particularly neat photography.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Volcano (1997)
Disappointing
10 June 2019
A blockbuster with a colossal budget of $90 million according to IMDb, but everything rhymes with cheapness: the dialog, the script, the plot twists, the soundtrack, ... It looks like a tv movie we may watch during a rainy Saturday afternoon, with a bad cold.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Parasite (2019)
Class struggle. After Karl Marx and Victor Hugo, here is Joon-ho Bong
9 June 2019
This cinematographic gem has been recently rewarded by the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Festival. If I have one and only one advice to give you: go savor this fabulous movie with a strict minimum of information! Indeed, this film might schematically be split in two parts, the second one being quite surprising and unpredictable. The script is excellent and the casting is globally sumptuous, especially the gorgeous Yeo-jeong Jo for whom I may confess I have a crush.

As a postscript, an anecdote certainly insignificant but literally astonishing when you're French: in the middle of the film, the proletarian family gives itself up to an orgy, the coffee table being covered with manifold dishes including two French cheeses as industrial as cheap: « Le rustique » and « Bresse bleu ». Unbelievable!
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Piranhas (2019)
Nature abhors a vacuum
9 June 2019
This afternoon, I discovered this rather interesting film without having preliminary read the eponymous book written by Roberto Saviano and published in 2018: a band of eight teenage boys still eating chocolate cookies and arguing with the little brother when a packet of biscuits was emptied without their preliminary agreement, take opportunely advantage of the fall of the Mafioso of their Neapolitan district to become caliph instead of the caliph, like Iznogoud in the famous cartoon created by René Goscinny and Jean Tabary, but with ethics and values like Vito Corleone played by Robert De Niro in The Godfather: Part II (1974). I recognized the mesmerizing atmosphere of Naples, with its manifold alleys as hilly as lively. Moreover, the cast is overall of high quality, especially the main actor Francesco Di Napoli.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Lapse (2014)
One reaps what one sows
9 June 2019
When you're the scriptwriter of a movie dealing with time travel, the easiest and cheapest way is to write a script built with protagonists as moronic as pathetic. Let's name them Callie, Finn and Jasper. Then, the plot twists will follow one after the other, at a frenetic pace, until Callie, Finn and Jasper ineluctably lost control like Juliet, David and Alex in Shallow Grave (1994). Although the first twenty minutes are rather encouraging, the last thirty ones are disappointing and almost appalling.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ma (2019)
Entertaining: almost. Predictable: always. Cheesy: sometimes. Scary: not really.
6 June 2019
Beyond a far-fetched and almost-laughable script, the actors play pretty well, especially Octavia Spencer, Diana Silvers and Juliette Lewis. The introduction is languishing, lasts about an hour and one has overall the impression that the mountain has brought forth a mouse. Although I obviously do not belong to the intended audience which is probably narrowed to teens, it's worth a try with low expectations.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Phoenix (2019)
The end of a saga?
6 June 2019
I watched Dark Phoenix (2019) Wednesday evening and I globally liked it. In matter of Computer-Generated Imagery, this movie clearly benefits from the same level of quality than the three previous opuses of the current saga. Nevertheless, although the script globally holds water, it's definitely not breathtaking, and I continue to feel the same fatigue initiated during the third opus, X-Men: Apocalypse (2016). Thus, X: First Class (2011) was thrilling but Dark Phoenix (2019) barely conveys emotion, with a few scenes as dull as blank during which I was very nearly bored. Finally, the elaboration of the Phoenix certainly differs from the old trilogy (2000 to 2006) and I admit having a strong preference for the previous Jean Grey played by the gorgeous Famke Janssen.

Otherwise, a little hint of irritation. June the 6th, 10:00 AM Paris time, we may count a total of 2900 voters, with two groups as extremist as weird: 20% of 10/10 and 16% of 1/10. Honestly? The credibility of IMDb is at stake! The IMDb team should urgently harden the notion of 'regular' users, one of the main objectives being to evacuate the ratings with an obvious lack of relevance and/or honesty given by 'weird' users who pollute this website.
105 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Particles (2019)
What happens in CERN, stays in CERN
6 June 2019
A modern fable in which 'Twilight zone' events occur around CERN: a failed scientific experiment or an excessive consumption of hallucinogenic mushrooms? Frankly, I do not know but I guess you should precede this cinematographic performance with a dose of ecstasy in order to understand or even get absorbed in this psychedelic and mysterious atmosphere full of apathetic and pimple-faced teenagers. The result is globally frustrating but for a first film, it remains promising.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Subtle, dynamic and efficient!
1 June 2019
This excellent series slightly looks like Breaking Bad (2008), in a teens version, with the nerd #1 Moritz Zimmermann instead of Jesse Pinkman and the nerd #2 Lenny Sander instead of Walter White, Jr. but without Walter White aka Heisenberg who is probably hidden somewhere... online. Walter White had initiated a methamphetamine trafficking in order to offer a fortune after his imminent death to his family, and Moritz does the same to lure his forever love back. That makes sense, doesn't it? The script is certainly far-fetched, but this observation is clearly secondary: the actors play excellently and the six episodes follow one after the other, with a dynamic rhythm. Finally, the humor is German typed: definitely not hilarious but subtle and formidably effective.

As a postscript, I'm French and I watched this German series with English subtitles. Why? Well, I'm not fluent enough in German and Netflix behaved like a loathsome skinflint by limiting the subtitles to English. Honestly? That was weird!
44 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
#MeToo during the patriarch's birthday
1 June 2019
This surprise success based on an uncomfortable subject has become an essential reference adapted for theater in many countries. The film immediately gives the impression of having been filmed with a dysfunctional iPhone of the 70s suffering from a perfectible autofocus. This is certainly the expression of Dogme 95, a manifesto of a strong desire of the directors Thomas Vinterberg and Lars von Trier to move away from a cinematographic world they consider too licked, too clean, too artificial, returning to a sobriety more expressive, more original, more formal, with an excessive despoilment of any aesthetic ambition. This impression will last until the last minute. After this rather negative observation, the film is excellent: between the dialogues, the acting and the unfolding of the story, it keeps you out of breath and you will wait for the epilogue with an unbearable impatience. A must see!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
31 May 2019
A tender rom com that I enjoyed right from the start when Sasha shuts her door in the face of Marcus until the credits during which Marcus sings his memorable encounter. The success of the film owes much to the actors playing the two main protagonists, either teen or adult, as well as the wacky and awesome presence of Keanu Reeves, as a repulsive guest star. The characters are globally endearing and transform this conventional story in a delightful rom com.
37 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rocketman (2019)
A musical as pop as sad
31 May 2019
First things first, Elton John being one of the most famous artists in the world, with a career of about half a century and 300 million albums sold, a biopic was then more than legitimate and was even eagerly awaited. This film is conceived like a musical based on the songs and the life of Elton John, from the 50s to the early 80s, the selected songs being representative of the manifold events of his life, the ups (his life as an accomplished artist mainly) and the downs (his whole private life according to the movie), since his childhood during which he quickly turns out to be a natural born musician until his first sentimental disappointments and the first cures of detoxification (alcohol, drug, ... and tutti quanti). The movie ends with the punchy « I'm still standing », song written in 1983 after a bad patch and foreshadowing a frantic recovery of his life, the lyrics being from his true friend Bernie Taupin.

One of my favorite scenes among many others is the meeting at the Royal Academy of Music, with the third movement of the Sonata Piano No. 11 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played twice. I do not know if it's true but, if so, this child is bluffing and an early genius!

The costumes are superb and the actors are fabulous. The realization is ingenious especially with the appropriate and relevant insertion of the songs in the film, like in a musical. As a synthesis: 7/8 of 10.
42 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.