Reviews

The Beginning Notes (2019 TV Movie)
happy life?
4 June 2019
...we are living in a world where the perception is that you can tabulate your life and many wants and like that way; however, sometimes life is not so predictable and depends on you to adapt to another given path.
enjoyable
22 April 2019
Tv movie to pass the time in a good way. Some comedy, light drama and a message of hope for many. You have also M Kondo way of folding clothes.
tv predictable movie
14 April 2019
This movie reminds me to the A Christie´s series from couple of decades ago; the same type of structure, music, related stuff; even the silly and cute secretary is there... The camera work is evident; the panning expected. Light is good but TV quality no 35mm of course.

And the finish...so Japanese.

I put 4 stars due to the production costs; nice exteriors, houses decoration and a bit of acting, but better to avoid it
light but ok
21 March 2019
...I do not think that the prosecutors or Police department work in this competent way but is the main canvas to paint this story. Is a light take on the what s could going on with the supposed Justice, the politicians and the real power behind. All this net is there in the real world. Sometimes the bad are not so bad and the good ones have more than one face. Sometimes the ambiguity of the decisions taken put in manifest at to what point some body is down in the knees with the system. In the case of this movie, the personal justice is the driving motif instead of the whole idea.

The camera work is just evident and the overall feeling is of a TV movie.
demented are go
19 March 2019
...bland movie; like a TV movie. Is a tale with the main character a violent weirdo that cannot express her feelings in real life but in novels. Even the pet is a non animated one. Also use her fiery to defend the ones that she appreciate. She lives outside of the real world but interacts a plenty with non social behaviors I must say. I see that when these types of flicks try to show a "genius" is often described as some kind of outsider that is beyond "all" and does not care for prizes, money or fame and comes back to his/her refuge. The other writers that appear here are complicated characters too.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
artsy Japanese light movie
10 March 2019
...is not necessary so much time to tell this tale but normally the Japanese films last about two hours. This is a unique movie in the sense that mix different styles and ideas. Mainly is all done like a Theater montage but in motion I am in the opinion that there are more than one point of view for what is going on but do not see any resolution at all; actually this is normally with these types of tales. Is not possible to see what happens in the other side of the door. I think it could be good for a teenager or less aged watchers. Mineta San is an actor that I really like and follow but in this role is not in his best.
Hot Road (2014)
teenagers flick
8 January 2019
...this is not a road movie nor a biker movie; and all seems bland. Lack of tension and the plot is way too cliché. Is about growing and the problems that teenagers would be associated. Sometimes we need a "word" in the right moment to keep things going on strong. The acting of the girl is not convincing. The interaction of the scenes is a bit sloppy. The director tried but could not obtained a dreamy point of view of some decisive scenes. Could be good.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nanimono (2016)
trying to be someone
4 January 2019
...when you finish the College in Japan, the "job hunting" starts for most and this is not a nice race. The movie is focused on several aspects of this situation where pressure is a great candidate regarding the interminable tests and exams to become nothing more of a "sarary man" However, becoming one in a big company determine the rest of you life and a very good economy for you and your family. So you are there under pressure here and there, losing self confidence to try to be someone in a Sea of people; but do you really like that? Most do not question that but many try to not be a part of that. This is a risky path and very difficult if you do not have enough talent and the right connections and/or money. The dichotomy between to be "free" or to follow a given talent that might you have or be part of the mass working for THE MAN with the compensation of economic future?
Rage (2016)
about feelings
3 January 2019
...start with too much blood and a crime but this movie is not a thriller; is about the relationships and the feelings. Normally people suppose things about the other; sometimes are correct but mostly do not. The plot has some errors to settle in couple of turns in the story but again, this is not the main goal of this movie. The acting here is pretty consistent and demonstrate that with a tight budget you can make it possible.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
about the hard working of marriage
24 December 2018
...seems that the first commentator does not have an idea of Japanese cinema or even the construction of a movie. Sorry for the harsh words, but do not know why you decide to comment about movies, if you do not discern even the story line...

-One of the things that the director is showing is the fact that communication is everything in a relationship so if you cannot stand some situations for one reason or another, would be very difficult to carry on with a successful marriage. The point of views are based on four examples of a marriage in the different stages of life. The strange behavior of the main wife is based on what she found as a fortress to manage the death of her Mother when she was a child and to bring some better moments to her Father in those difficult days. Kind of a refuge constructed on great Literature of the XIX century. All these relationships are between people that tried hard to keep on going but at some point is not up to you only; may be the destiny and dead is working against one of the parts involved too. The firsts half an hour is somewhat bland then the rest grows slowly but consistent so if you pass that and dive around some subtleties you would finish with something that provides hope. No doubt that all we need another person at our sides but many times this is not available for any body or is a harsh road. We as human beings struggle all our life with some type of relation, losing the energy, stressing out us then we are dead...is evident that we do not like to live alone all our life.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
little movie big message
8 November 2018
...starting like a comedy progressing into a drama, this story is a very common one. Is about bonds; inherent bonds between father and sons. Sometimes Life or the way the people are or want to be or even how to live their lives interfere with it. In this story there s a third party, Lily Frank, that act as a voice of the "common sense" equalizing and let the (possible) good times roll.

-The colors palette have neutral colors the music is minimum but concise. The camera angles in some scenes are very good, also some shoots are like "distant" but not ethereal or gloomy. The acting is very natural and precise.

Is like most Japanese modern films, two hours long but let it roll, you will not regret it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A.I. Love You (2016)
watchable
9 September 2018
...sugary non pretentious movie but watchable due to have enough drama, good tempo, pretty gals and not long length. Also some sparks of what can happen with all your information running around in the cyber space. Of course all taken light, but not bland. Happy ending for all as a good tale should be.
Parks (2017)
just ok
2 September 2018
...first, to the other commentator that seems that does not understand the point of the movie: a commemoration of 100 years of a park in Tokyo. No doubt that the director looked for a link in common of to what people does in a park and those things reminds unaltered, never mind the years that have been passing. There s a couple of nice shots of the park (Inokashira); simple, nice all around situations and a sense that some things could be not so real. The director plays with nostalgic and some dreamy (but light) movements and events but nothing to put you in a sad mood. In my opinion, Shota Sometani is not at his best in this one. All in all the movie is a good rendition to this park. A commissioned movie that is well done but nothing more than that.
Tokyo Oasis (2011)
Near home made bording film
14 July 2018
...the idea is good but the realization is not. Normally you do not see too much contact between strangers in a big city; however the film relies on this to tell the story that by the way have very little cohesion between parts; yes parts or encounters. There are three encounters between the main character and the strangers and just only that. Some one appears out of blue and almost invade the proximity of these other persons. Not a total stranger because all are in the known that she is/was an actress. That can be act as an incentive to continue with the chat or to not feel reluctant about the situation. There is some kind of dualism in the characters. Might be that all what she does is a BIG life act? This is what could be good; the idea that a mere stranger can change the way you see your life from here on. Problem is that this do not work right in this movie. -The acting is just too stoic; nothing relevant in that area. Camera work trying to be indie finished too rookie. The colors are good and some photography are right.
Life goes on
9 July 2018
...pretty good small film. Never mind in what type of family you belong, growing is such a different animal and the way you construct your life depends on the relation with people that at some point leaved a mark in your life. Here we have a somewhat cold young woman that lives like nothing is so important, just only "lives". The last frame of the last scene is what this film is all about and leaves me in sadness. but life goes on...
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
your own mental world and the real world
30 June 2018
...sometimes I check the critics notes and see that mostly are "pop corn eaters" I mean, they cannot get it all the stuff going on in some movies like this. First, the director did a great job. Very freshly work with the camera without being pretentious. The right mix between artsy, technical and indie. With Grey/Blueish matte palette is showing the mood of the story; one that evolves whenever the plot is developing. What in first instance looks like a comedy suddenly transform as a drama; a very common one I must add. Not only about a love or obsession (for a person that had only few dialogs interchanges with the crush...) but more of those worlds that are in our minds and the interaction with the real people outside and beyond ourselves. Those mental barriers that some persons have making difficult relationships and communication in general. Even worse now with all these "social net crap" flooding and consuming great percentages of people time and mind. Yes, a great fortress (around your mind and heart); you can be safe there but what happens in the real life? Is not the internet real now? I am afraid not. -Great development of the story where you can see what mental process (do not forget the camera work in this process) the main character is doing to "wake up" to a new (might be) comfortable new life; a life where some one have a feeling for you and that s not a little thing in this time where mostly walk like mutants and only block down their barriers when they are alone (with loneliness most of the times) in their homes
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the Divine Justice
17 June 2018
...seems that the critics do not have soul and idea of what s going on with this movie... Sometimes Life put you between a rock and a hard place; sometimes the system does not help with situations that you find in front of you; sometimes you are at the wrong spot in the wrong time.

What about Karma? What about to try to be a better person but somehow the planets do not align? How about to be an outsider in a society that does not open doors to you? How about to have been alone little by little? How about cruelty?

These and many more is what you ll find in this film; but all very smooth and with the right pace, not pretending to be more of what really is. Plus Blowing in the wind by Dylan as a lei motiv.

Hope you like it!
Princess Maison (2016– )
naive dorama
14 June 2018
...is a dorama, but still you can see the differences in the Japanese society regarding the rest. A couple of the actors are well known in the Japan TV series; all the chosen characters are pretty well done, as always in these series. The story is basic and simple: is a young working girl looking to buy a house (an apartment) however she put the bar too high and started by the highest price; fortunately for her many people will try to help. No doubt that the dorama can act as a hope and optimism for the young people that work hard and see that in these times is almost impossible to buy a house; even more if you are single and without money support. For that and too see a bit of Tokyo I put 4 stars; but do not expect so much more.
too much countryside-indie-trash USA flick
14 February 2018
...and with stereotypical characters; all predictable except "a la Tarantino" gore scenes. However, between couple of details, the music and some nonsense, the film is worth watching
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Square (2017)
Long but good
13 February 2018
...so you deal with the values of the modern society; several stereotypes; trusted persons and the ones who better not to trust; hysterical woman; reactions and non reaction or later reactions AND, and a BIG AND the naive (or guilty? mea culpa?) view of some part of the society that the wealthy countries have. I reside in a hole of the world and I tell you that is not all Roses with some types of people and the message that in closer inspection the Director would want to pass may be is kind of impractical in a third world country dominated by the politicians we have and the not educated mass of people that act like most know.

-Very good intended palette of colors, due to the problems that are on the table. Bang acting is perfect. The girls surprise me with their acting; very good for their ages. There are many subtle things expressed or showed in the faces and manners that are pretty good and is like to have a mirror of us. -This is not wasted time; good film.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gassô (2015)
a bit bland
23 January 2018
...period movie about the finish time of the Shogunate; specifically about a dedicated unit "Shogi-tai". Centered in a daily life of three main characters starting couple of months before the Ueno battle. The tribulations, doubts, dedication and loyalty exposed somewhat amateurish for my taste; might be that these warriors were that way; but I have doubts.

-Acting is just ok; color palette is Blueish/Grey that is right for the story but camera quality/contrast look TV movie. Too long for what is intended to show.
Last Words (2007)
true to life little story
19 December 2017
...good take on a terminal decease like Cancer. Pace of the film is good; strange that has half an hour less than what you normally see in Japanese movies and that s correct here because you do not need more time to paint the whole story. There s a mix between fixed camera work and shots and handy cameras (with all the shacking) Colors are between naturals and blueish to transmit the sadness however is not an oppressed movie, plenty of Sun and this town besides the Sea that shows a bit of hope in the end. There are couple of Indie (or may be amateurish?) shots that somehow look forced in the final result. -Main character is a girl with just 17 she knows that Cancer could finish her life in no time (her father keeping silence when she ask about it) so she decided to take a trip to this town, the town where she lived until three years ago to visit her adolescent (or kid) secret love and try to pass the time with him; but he has a life too... The final is pretty like the life itself; without sugar.
good to pass the time
2 December 2017
Funny series with caricature-like tints; playing with the absurd in the style of the (classic TV series from the 70s)Mexican "Chespirito" and with the unmistakable touch of only in Japan (Buddhism mixed with martial arts and Nietzche!) Of the 10 chapters, there are a couple that are not entirely consistent but work to present new characters.

The plot has interesting resource between the camera, the actors pose/s and the potential dialogue; that become in what a person really thinks or what they really want to do but avoid due to the circumstances.

-I think there s % of improvisation in the Sato Jiro s performing.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
psycho drama at full
22 November 2017
...with a blueish darker palette the director is presenting us this almost horror film in a two hours long run. Seems that most Japanese movies should have that length¿? The other commentators are saying that is too long and the pace too slow; well; I think they are not accustomed to Japanese films... In fact, all the length is right; but yes, like mentioned too, the final is somewhat evident at some point.

-I want to add a different point of view:

We are seeing different kind of situations and persons. Not all the rich and educated guys are good and not all the not so rich are good too. Very good showing of what a Human being can do to reach his/her desires.

You have the mentally ill characters; the climbers; the "normal" people; the cheats; the lies and liars.

-Is a sordid plot but not oppressive to watch it; it has plenty of "air" and exterior shoots to keep watching.

..why he decides to investigate about this crime again? One year after...may be he had all planned...may be it is his catharsis?

Incredible also, no matter what to do or not the perception of others is what counts in the end...
Life goes on
24 October 2017
...this movie is very good directed. The shots, the color palette and the music(or lack off)interacting with the Sea s sound on and off are all items precisely crafted here making ordinary looks naturally. Yes, is a "suave" ongoing story, that in reality is more than one at the same time; however, the plot is not too focused in all these other potential stories, but for the wiser watcher, are all there: love stories (though love is not strong enough);growing; the economic problems in small towns; migration; lack of youth with enough guts to take control of these areas; struggling businesses; stubborn people et all.

All that occur in a lovely little vacation town besides the Sea.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.