Reviews

The Rookie: Pilot (2018)
Season 1, Episode 1
These 3 rookies were advised to never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night
17 October 2018
I can appreciate that a new television series cannot just instantaneously jump in to their storyline without providing their viewing audience with sufficient background information on the main characters. There are three (3) new rookies who are officers in training, Jackson West (Titus Makin Jr.), Angela Lopez (Alyssa Diaz), and the series main star John Nolan (Nathan Fillion). Each rookie is assigned a more experienced training officer while these rookies are being tested out in the field.

As for this first episode, it may start off just a tad slow as we get to know the three (3) rookies but the action heats up in the latter half of the series opener. As with any cop show there are lots of bad dudes with guns, crimes committed and you can expect the good guys to generally get the upper hand on the bad guys.

I did not see any Emmy award winning performances but I will say the series is both unrealistic and a whole lot of hokey at the same time. I am optimistic as the series progresses that the show will be more about the variety of its characters than the crimes being committed. For this reason I rate the series a 7 out of 10 and worth a watch for characters being portrayed.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Rookie (2018– )
These rookies were advised to never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night
17 October 2018

3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Conners: Keep on Truckin' (2018)
Season 1, Episode 1
Jackie's attempt at the kitchen re-org sums up how The Conners will move forward without their matriarch, Roseanne
17 October 2018
Obviously this spin-off series from Roseanne needed to first achieve closure from the family matriarch Roseanne. Just like with any other death in our own family, we discuss the deceased with endearment and our fondest memories and so this new TV spin-off "The Conners" did exactly that. I saw this pilot episode still contained the Conners family as a whole and with time permitted, The Conners will persevere and find their own comedic way with that same old tinge of dramedy in their weekly storylines.

I see a lot of other IMDB viewers want to kill the series early. I say give The Conners a full first season and let's wait and see if the storylines remain current and possibly include the polarization of the U.S. politics with stories relating to the political positions of the Democratic and Republican parties on major issues such as taxes, the role of government, entitlements (Social Security, Medicare), gun control, immigration, healthcare, abortion, environmental policy and regulation.

The Conners still have a lot to say and I have a feeling a lot of the initial IMDB low reviews are "fake reviewers" representing the Democratic parties worse fear that the Conners message just may hit a wider TV audience as progressive in their views. Lets wait and see how Jackie and the rest of the Conner clan reorganize the Conner kitchen and the rest of their lives without Roseanne before passing judgement.

I give the series pilot a 7 out of 10 rating with a wait and see approach to see if The Conners show can remain current in its issues and with good dramedy.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Conners (2018– )
Jackie's attempt at the kitchen re-org sums up rather nicely what The Conners needed to do to move on from Roseanne
17 October 2018

The Conners still have a lot to say and I have a feeling a lot of the initial IMDB low reviews are "fake reviewers" whose worse fear is that the Conners message just may hit a wider TV audience as progressive in their views. Lets wait and see how Jackie and the rest of the Conner clan reorganize the Conner kitchen and the rest of their lives without Roseanne before passing judgement.

7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saturday Night Live: Seth Meyers/Paul Simon (2018)
Season 44, Episode 3
Similar to driving by a real bad car crash...you hate to see it, but you just can't look away
14 October 2018
I must be a sucker for punishment because I just sat through this entire SNL TV episode and as expected, I kept cringing rather than doing any laughing what so ever. Having just watched this weeks SNL guest host Seth Meyers he just used the same type of ho hum boring opening monologue that he always uses for his even more boring "Late Night With Seth Meyers".

I just can't come to any other reasonable conclusion that Seth Meyers must be a close relative to one of the shows executive producers and this anonymous executive producer must have some guilt complex so he allows the talentless Seth Meyers to keep appearing on the television just to irritate people like me who expect to be entertained. Instead, just as my family and I have previously driven by a very serious multi car crash on the freeway, you tend to slow down and as you drive by the carnage you ask yourself "what makes me want to look at that disgusting scene?" That's how I felt about watching this episode of SNL.

It only got worse when the over the "VERY TOP OF THE HILL" 77 year old Paul Simon was introduced as the musical guest host and he just spoke (not sang) his 48 year old (1970) hit song appropriately titled "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

I'll tell you what is seriously troubled, it's SNL's life expectancy. I mean how often does one drive by a serious car crash like SNL has become?

I give this SNL episode the lowest rating you are allowed to give a 1 out of 10 rating.
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sheldon's mom begins to question her strong Christian faith until Sheldon explains the galaxy to his bereaved mother
10 October 2018
As if I thought the previous episode (Season 2, episode 2) couldn't be topped for sheer entertainment value, season 2, episode 3 comes back to back and knocks another one right out of the ballpark albeit with a more dramatic overtone. As the Cooper family, especially Sheldon's mother Mary questions her own religious faith as they struggle to deal with another parish families loss of their 16 year old daughter through a fatal car accident, Sheldon is more preoccupied with finding someone to drive him to his favorite store, Radio Shack.

There is some fun interaction in the church congregation between young Sheldon and the church's minister as Sheldon questions the minister's weekly sermon and Meemaw (Grandma) purposely and gleefully urges Sheldon to ask his questions during the Minister's sermon. Sheldon's mom Mary also has some questions for her minister relating to why would their Lord and Saviour take away a 16 year old girl through a fatal car accident from her loving family?

The subsequent interaction between Sheldon and his mother is simply priceless. Once again it is great Emmy award screenwriting and Sheldon's and Mary's lines are delivered so realistically that Mrs. Shullivan and I felt that we were sitting alongside mother and son on their front porch after dinner.

This is another wonderful episode of a new TV series that I hope will continue to grow its audience in a similar manner that previous EMMY award winning TV series such as Leave It To Beaver (1957), Mash (1972) and Mary Tyler Moore (1970) were all well received for many years.
Boys are from Mars ......... and Girls are from Venus
10 October 2018
All right! All right! If only this episode had aired on television some 40 years ago maybe the equity gap that still exists today between men and women would be near to extinct.

Sheldon experiences a whole bunch of new emotions that he never experienced before as he explains to his Meemaw (grandma) as she is proceeding to drive him home from his most recent University lecture that he is attending in which his mentor Dr. Sturgis is the professor. Sitting in young Sheldon's reserved front row seat in the lecture hall is a pretty 10 year old genius prodigy named Paige and Paige is more than a match for young Sheldon's own intellect.

I only wish this episode could have been an extended 60 minutes long rather than the normal 30 minute length per episode. I was hardily belly laughing and my feet were kicking uncontrollably with some of the hilarious lines that young Paige threw at Sheldon reflecting her own genius. This episode also included some great cocktail conversation between Sheldon and Paige's parents in which they all shared common ground with their respective children's uniqueness and their genius.

Meanwhile Paige and Sheldon's siblings who are normal average run of the mill kids are mulling around the backyard throwing rocks at a discarded television set that is waiting for the next mornings garbage pickup. These kids conversations although quite normal chatter between kids is also hilarious and reminiscent of my own childhood memories.

This Season 2, episode 2, is a memorable classic and deserving of a screen writers Emmy award. Mrs. Shullivan and I just love this TV series, Young Sheldon. Not only is the ensemble cast picture perfect, the writers have a story to tell which is filled with great humour, family concerns, heartbreak and joy.

A perfect 10 for 10 episode!!!!!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The message is "there are no shortcuts in life and you must pay for your own mistakes"
10 October 2018
This episode reminds me a lot of the family entertainment we the (more mature) TV viewers were exposed to when the 1957 family sitcom "Leave It To Beaver" ruled the Nielsen ratings some 6o years earlier. As young Sheldon decides to dismantle his families refrigerator because he constantly hears it humming his father George Sr is livid that he has to pay a repairman $200 to put it back together again.

So George Sr. initiates that dreaded father and son talk in Sheldon 's bedroom and George Sr tells Sheldon that he is going to have to pay the $200 back by finding a part time job delivering newspapers regardless of the outside weather conditions. Sheldon shares his bedroom with his twin sister and their interaction although sometimes mischievous can be summed up quite lovingly when Sheldon's sister Missy witnesses her twin brother crying after George has finished scolding Sheldon. Missy tells Sheldon that his crying is interrupting her ability to really enjoy the moment as she hugs him tightly to quell his tears.

All six (6) family members including Meemaw (grandma) sit down for dinner with Sheldon in an uncharacteristic foul mood mouthing off to his father when George Sr lovingly follows Sheldon once again back to Sheldon's bedroom, not for a deserving spanking, but for a surprise discussion on that life is not always fair.

Sheldon gets his dad's message in spades that when you make a mistake there are consequences and sometimes hard work follows, and the twins love for one another is evident.

This is not light fluffy comedy, but a good reminder for us baby boomers of some of our own family experiences that helped shape us into the person(s) we are today. As Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) narrates to the audience how he felt at the moment as young Sheldon we are reminded of some great life lessons that are heartwarming, just like this great TV series.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Neighborhood (2018– )
The GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY
9 October 2018
The Good >>> Cedric the Entertainer and Tichina Arnold who play husband Calvin and wife Tina have great on screen chemistry. They are both natural as parents of an adult son and confident in their relationship.

The Bad >>> Max Greenfield and Beth Behrs may have moved in to "The Neighborhood" but only after both of their former sitcoms were abruptly cancelled. That should be your first indicator that their line delivery is suspect and they have absolutely NO on screen chemistry as husband and wife of a young son.

The Ugly >>> I just hate canned laughter. It's as if the producers are telling their audience "okay, you are supposed to be laughing now". This sitcom won't last a full season with Max Greenfield and Beth Behrs as the so-called TV stars. As that old saying goes, "there goes the neighborhood".

My Wish >>> I hope the producers allow for a spin off sitcom concentrating all of the sitcoms content on the great on screen chemistry of Cedric the Entertainer and Tichina Arnold. Now that would be well worth watching.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Star Is Bored
8 October 2018
I am more than just a bit surprised how many of the IMDB reviews just glow about this remake, of another remake, of another remake of yet still another remake. In case some people don't realize it, this film has been over cooked since the 1930's.

Maybe women love Bradley Cooper so this is his vanity project in which he is credited as the writer, director, and star. Heck, Bradley Cooper even went as far as having a Sam Elliott voice over by copying Elliott's gravelly voice and Mr. Vanity (Cooper) even gives himself several minutes of solo face time singing as a past-his-prime-time weary weathered alcoholic singing star.

Oh sure, Cooper pulled out as many pity points that he possibly could by including his loyal dog pining for our over the hill rock star. While Jack hides behind his closed garage door his dog rests in front of the door resting alone and waiting for his master Jack to come out from behind the closed garage door. Awwwwww shucks. Cooper's screenplay denotes "sappy sucker tears called for here".

I wish Hollywood would welcome some fresh new screenwriters blood with some really creative ideas for screenplays rather than just use bonafide stars to re-write old screenplays and re-hash old movies and expect us avid filmgoers who enjoy going to actual movie theaters to suck the old crap up again and again.

I bet that more than half the people who wrote a praiseworthy IMDB review in 2018 for this film won't even remember who starred in this 5th version of A Star Is Born because it is simply not a memorable film, nor is it worthy of the bloated high praise it has been garnering. In reference to the great P.T. Barnum "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"...don't be the next one. Pass on this overrated remake.
68 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy Brown: Fake News (2018)
Season 11, Episode 1
Can anybody hum the "Funeral March?"
28 September 2018
Funny Ha Ha? Nooooooo......more like Funny Nah Nah

For 18 months leading up to the last U.S. election when most of the major U.S. news stations were using Donald Trump as a punching bag, there was total devastation in the Democratic party when he was officially announced as the next President of the USA. Now 30 years after Murphy Brown first went on the air and then left some 20 years ago it's back in an attempt to make fun of today's political divide. Some may say the timing could not be more deserving, a trustworthy spokeswoman in Murphy Brown. But I say just add this vain attempt at swaying the heart of Americans as another big failure.

Ahhh, the left wing liberals are going to just love this reboot of the original 1988 Murphy Brown. It's real original "fake news" back in the prime time morning slot of 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Murphy will be competing in her time slot against her own son's "the other" network.

Each time I looked at the original cast from the 1988 season 1 in this 30 year post reboot attempt I was reminded of what happened when fashion designer Donatella Versace first decided to go under the knife. Candice Bergen and her news crew of fake CNC news obviously have not watched themselves on season 11, episode 1. About 10 minutes into the show Miles Silverberg (Grant Shaud) is approached by Murphy and her band to come back and produce her show. Miles is seen wailing by his front door crying "It's bad out there. It's so bad" referring to the state of the country.

But wait....ten more minutes into the show none other than their heroine Hilary Roderick Clinton appears looking for work as a "secretary"

At this point you can choose to laugh or cry. It really doesn't matter as this reboot comedy won't be around very long even if it's only goal is to compete against the future arrival of "The Conners" on that other station FOX.

I give it a 4 out of 10 rating. Can anybody hum the "Funeral March?"
22 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy Brown (1988–2018)
Can anybody hum the "Funeral March?"
28 September 2018

I give it a 4 out of 10 rating. Can anybody hum the "Funeral March?"
25 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Million Little Things: Pilot (2018)
HORROR-able
27 September 2018
I will admit it. I watched the entire first episode and there was absolutely nothing that appealed to me. This show is just so over the top depressing. I believe the ABC network was attempting to copy and capture some of the real magic that its competitor NBC's multiple Emmy award winning TV drama series "This Is Us" brings to its large audience week in and week out. Unfortunately the writing in A Million Little Things is terrible, and thus the actors just seem to be reading their lines without any real emotion resonating with the TV audience.

I think both the production crew and the main actors took a giant leap of faith that they could pull off another great dramatic TV series like "This Is Us". When they all got on that magic carpet ride and took their leap of faith they forgot to pack a parachute so when the audience watches the first and maybe the next few episodes as well, the landing is going to be messy just like the pilot episode was.

I honestly cannot rate it any higher than a 2 out of 10

....and no I am not working for or against any TV network, I am just a film goer and TV viewer sharing my honest opinion.
7 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If at first you don't succeed....then skydiving is just not for you

I honestly cannot rate it any higher than a 2 out of 10

30 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Single Parents: Pilot (2018)
Season 1, Episode 1
What I really liked about this series is there was none of that horrible canned laughter
27 September 2018
I can appreciate that any new comedy TV series needs a few episodes under their belt to determine if they can sustain a reasonable audience in the ratings game. My initial assessment of Single Parents pilot episode is that I will give it a few more episodes for two main reasons:

1. The show does not use canned laughter which tells me that the producers are confident enough in their show and they would prefer to rely on the intelligence of their audience who can determine for ourselves if the show is funny and if the story lines are interesting.

2. Although I have only seen the first episode I was quite impressed with how professional all the single parents young children performed. Not only are the children funny, they have good comedic delivery with great facial expressions.

As for all the single parents, the jury is still out on them as we learn what baggage each of them carry which is why they are single parents in the first place.

I give the show a 6 out of 10 rating.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Single Parents (2018– )
Well......there is no canned laughter so that is a big PLUS and the kids are really good actors
27 September 2018
I can appreciate that any new comedy TV series needs a few episodes under their belt to determine if they can sustain a reasonable audience in the ratings game. My initial assessment of Single Parents is that I will give it a few more episodes for two main reasons:

1. The show does not use canned laughter which tells me that the producers are confident in their show and would prefer to rely on the intelligence of their audience who can determine for ourselves if the show is funny and if the story lines are interesting.

I give the show a 6 out of 10 rating.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum P.I.: I Saw the Sun Rise (2018)
Season 1, Episode 1
This Magnum wasted no time "Jumping the Shark"
25 September 2018
The Good: Hawaii's scenic landscapes in high definition color is gorgeous so who wouldn't want to spend some time on the island, or watch another action/crime TV series filmed here? There is sufficient eye candy for both the TV series male and female audience. The boys will be displayed shirtless, with wet gleaming chests. The ladies will be shown exercising in tight fitting spandex stretching their bods and walking backside for the cameras.

The Bad: Can someone please explain to me why TV producers always seem to show seasoned war veterans coming back from multiple tour of duties to the USA while still in their mid thirties with no symptoms of PTSD, always buff and never balding, no marriage and certainly no children and they all seem to immediately own successful businesses?

The Ugly: There is an (in)famous scene in season 11, the last season of the once popular family/comedy TV series Happy Days where the Fonz (Henry Winkler) is seen water skiing in his iconic jeans and leather jacket and then he does the impossible on water skis. He literally "Jumps the Shark".

So it came as quite a surprise at least to me that the writers of this new Magnum P.I. series decided to open their new TV series with their action star Magnum (Jay Hernandez) while being chased and shot at he does a 180 degree turn in his fast moving Ferrari, and while still being shot at he climbs and runs onto the hood of the truck while the villains continue shooting at him and he jumps onto the talon of his hovering helicopter just before the villains truck and its shooters fall off the side of the road and into the ocean below.

If you enjoy the gorgeous scenery of Hawaii, and you like seeing young and buff thirty something male and females in skimpy clothes and you are not offended by ridiculous action scenes and dull storylines than this series will be right for you.

I give the series pilot a 6 out of 10 rating
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum P.I. (2018– )
This Magnum wasted little time "Jumping the Shark"
25 September 2018
The Good: Hawaii's natural landscape in high definition color is so beautiful who wouldn't want to spend some time there so why not film another TV crime/action series there? There is also sufficient eye candy for both sexes. Men in the buff and shirtless and women in skin tight spandex stretching and strutting as they walk away from the cameras.

The Bad: This pilot episode introduces the viewing audience to the key players. Thomas Magnum (Jay Hernandez), Juliet Higgins (the token Brit, Perdita Weeks), T C Calvin (Stephen Hill), and Orville "Rick Wright (Zachary Knighton). I find it just amazing that these thirty something characters have all completed a long and illustrious military career and now run successful businesses. No one is fat and bald, no one is suffering from PTSD, and no one is married with children?

The Ugly: In the popular comedy/family (1974-1984) TV series Happy Days, at least the producers waited until the last 11th season of the series to have the Fonz (Henry Winkler) literally water ski in his customary iconic jeans and leather jacket as we witness him "jumping the shark" to kill the Happy Days TV series once and for all. Now we have Thomas Magnum in the very first pilot episode jump from his moving Ferrari onto the hood of the villain's truck that is shooting at him and chasing his car to jump on to the talon of a flying helicopter before the bad guys truck falls off of the side of the road and into the ocean.

If you enjoy gorgeous landscapes, sex appeal, and you can ignore dumb plots and even dumber action scenes than welcome to the reincarnation of Magnum P.I. I give the series a 6 out of 10 rating.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underground (2010)
If you watch this movie you better take both a sleeping pill and a laxative pill because that is what this movie will give you
21 September 2018
If this movie doesn't put you to sleep then you will end up smelling like something that rhymes with the word "hit" and starts with an "s". I am serious about taking a laxative pill and a sleeping pill before watching this cheap class "C" movie.

The grainy cinematography, high school fight scene(s) choreography, 'el cheapo tough guy dialogue, and the so called action star of the film Wil Berthaud, is simply ludicrous. Oh, by the way, Wil Berthaud is also the films credited writer, director and producer. Wil Berthaud is a one man wrecking crew of his own film. It is supposed to be a about a downtrodden young man who lost both of his parents and turns to underground fighting to make a fast buck. Oh such a tragic story for our hero to overcome.

By the way, the four other IMDB reviewers of this film that were all made in 2010 when the film was released have all written glorious praise to this "mess"terpiece. Coincidentally, the other four (4) IMDB reviewers have only ever written one (1) IMDB review to their credit up to September 2018.

By the time you have read my review if you have already started watching this film and taken my advice to take a sleeping pill and a laxative pill....it probably has kicked in with more success than this "stinker" of a film.

I rate it a 2 out of 10....peeeee yooooo What's that awful smell?
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Swept Under (2015 TV Movie)
So many head twists and turns its better than any rollercoaster ride
20 September 2018
Impressive for a made for TV movie. This would have done well in a chain of movie theaters and we got to see it for free on TV. What a bargoon!!!!

The overall story is of a post murder scene cleaner named Morgan Sher (Devin Kelley) who gets hired by the local police stations to clean up the blood and brain matter left on walls and furniture from residences after the murder scene is cleared by the detectives, impresses one of the new detectives named Nick Hopewell (Aaron Ashmore).

So the murder scene cleaner Morgan and the novice detective Nick start discussing the murder scene and what may have caused the murder in the first place. Before you know it, the two new friends start finding more dead bodies which seem to all have a few common elements to their murder scenes.

I don't want to spoil any of the better than average story line with its twists and turns but suffice to say the film is well worth watching. In fact I will be looking for it in the future to watch it again.

I love a good mystery/suspense/thriller and SWEPT UNDER fits that bill. i give this made for TV movie a solid 8 out of 10 rating
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pincay was the first jockey to win 7 Races at Santa Anita on March 14th, 1987
19 September 2018
Laffit Pincay Jr. was more than just an incredible athlete. Laffit Pincay Jr. was an athlete that all young men and women should take more than a few pages from his playbook in regards to his discipline, his training and diet regime, his steadfast approach to never taking a day off, let alone a race off (when he is racing) and his focus (eye on the prize) was unmatched.

This documentary does a decent enough job in highlighting Laffit's horse riding/racing career from when he won his first race as a teenager in his homeland of Panama, through to his winning some of North America's most prestigious and richest horse races, including winning 2 out of 3 of the USA's triple crown races at least once. (He never did win the Preakness).

It was very nice hearing many of Laffit Pincay's fellow jockeys speak so highly of the Hall Of Fame jockey and his competitive spirit. The documentary included quite a few conversations and anecdotes with Laffit himself outlining many of his dangerous accidents which included multiple fractures and broken bones. Most interesting was the request Laffit's own mother made of him which was both weird, and wacky but it seemed to work for the most part of Laffit's racing career. Laffit's mother asked him to always wear his underwear "inside out" when riding. No, his mother was not kidding. She said it would keep the demons away while he was racing.

My only negative comment about the film was it did not provide little or any credit to Laffit Pincay's agent(s). Unlike other sports, where the athlete's agent responsibility begins and ends when they get the most lucrative multi year contracts for their athletes, jockey's agents need to know which trainers, horse owners (including racehorse owner consortiums), race tracks, will provide not only tomorrows mounts for the jockey(s) they represent but the next meets, next stake races, the next potential Horse of the Year mount, such as Laffit had for a few years when he rode the great thoroughbred, Affirmed. It would have been nice to hear from some of the agents who represented Laffit over his 39 year racing career what they thought of representing one of the greatest jockeys and athletes of this last century.

I give the documentary a decent 7 out of 10 score.
Gone (I) (2017– )
It is unimaginable why so many children go missing every day
17 September 2018
Chris Noth is every missing child and parents hero. He plays FBI agent Frank Booth who works missing children cases. A former child abductee named Kick Lannigan (Leven Rambin) who FBI agent Frank Booth rescued a long time ago still keeps in touch with her to the current day. Kick has remained a single adult who owns and operates a self defense school.

A potential client named Bishop (Danny Pino) who wants to learn self defense requests Kick provide him with a private lesson. Although the teacher versus new student defense class does not go as planned for either the teacher Kick, nor her new student Bishop, in walks the FBI agent Frank Booth, who rescued Kick all those years ago with an offer. I thought the fight scene was more than over the top. Ouchhhhh!

Frank asks Kick and another kidnapping survivor named James Finley (Andy Mientus) to join a special kidnap/rescue forces team that he is just forming whose job is to investigate recent child kidnappings. The special kidnapping task force team includes three former actors who all starred in previous successful television crime series. Chris Noth (Law & Order), Danny Pino (Cold Case, and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit), and Tracie Thoms (Cold Case).

The pilot episode provides the TV viewers with some insights into what each member of the task force brings to the team. Kick is obviously still harboring some demons from her childhood days held in captivity but she knows the ins and outs of these child predators fro first hand knowledge as to how they cultivate their victims and keep them as hostages for years (as she was).

My Pet Peeve: Whenever I see a member of TV's law enforcement who looks like (s)he is still in high school sitting in front of a computer monitor and frantically typing aimlessly on the keyboard in front of them, and within five (5) seconds of air time they have discovered the perpetrators hideout I grow disappointed quickly in the quality of the program as it is a very cheap and lazy screenwriter who cannot build a storyline that captures the audiences attention.

I give the pilot episode a decent enough 8 out of 10 rating and time will tell how this series progresses. I just hope the series Gone loses the phony keyboard typing detective that is so prevalent in so many mediocre TV crime series.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gone: Pilot (I) (2017)
Season 1, Episode 1
It's unimaginable that there are so many missing children...and more children GONE every day
17 September 2018
Chris Noth is every missing child and parents hero. He plays FBI agent Frank Booth who works missing children cases. A former child abductee named Kick Lannigan (Leven Rambin) who FBI agent Frank Booth rescued a long time ago keep in touch to the current day. Kick is a single adult who owns and operates a self defense school.

A potential client named Bishop (Danny Pino) who wants to learn self defense requests Kick provide him with a private lesson. Although the teacher versus new student defense class does not go as planned for either the teacher Kick, nor her new student Bishop, in walks the FBI agent Frank Booth, who rescued Kick all those years ago with an offer. Frank asks Kick and another kidnapping survivor named James Finley (Andy Mientus) to join a special kidnap/rescue forces team that he is just forming whose job is to investigate recent kidnappings. The special kidnapping task force team includes three former actors who all starred in previous unrelated successful television crime series. Chris Noth (Law & Order), Danny Pino (Cold Case, and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit), and Tracie Thoms (Cold Case).

Fame (1980)
Past the freshness date around 1989
16 September 2018
I have seen the film Fame a few times now over the past four (4) decades and unlike film classics such as (1961) West Side Story, or (1957) Jailhouse Rock, (1980) Fame is a period piece that may have had its admirers back in the early 1980's but it will never retain a film fan base such as the latter two films mentioned above.

Maybe the film was inspirational and maybe even slightly ahead of its time back in 1980, but it has quickly lost its lustre with each song and dance number played. Another sign that the film is past its freshness date is to ask yourself what ever happened to the cast members of the film Fame? Just like the picture, the film stars also quickly past their freshness date and as the film so have the actors fallen into obscurity.

I will kindly rate the film a generous 5 out of 10 rating.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Knockout (1941)
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Oh Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, No Johnny ad nauseam
16 September 2018
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, if they said the name Johnny once they said it more than a thousand times in this short 73 minute cheap boxing film. Arthur Kennedy plays an arrogant boxing champ Johnny Rocket and his manager is a street smart guy named Trego, played by Anthony Quinn who likes to pick the round that Johnny can win or possibly lose his fight in. Of course Johnny has a couple of dames falling in and out of love with him, just like how Johnny goes down then up in the boxing ring until the doctor calls him out for good.

The film lacks everything except the script writing that is consistent with repeating the boxing champs first name "Johnny" over and over and over again to ad nauseam.

This is a cheap B movie at best and Arthur Kennedy is most difficult to envision as a winning ring pugilist. I give the film a 3 out of 10 rating, at the count of 10, you are OUT Johnny!