Reviews

Starred Up (2013)
Well acted garbage and propaganda
4 September 2019
We live in an age where we are supposed to identify with prisoners, bad guys, evil men and women, rotten brat children, bad manners and criminals. Ah, but they all have hearts just like you and me but just had bad things happen to them early in life that made them mean. Oh really? Then why aren't we all killers or are we becoming that? I'm not empathetic to nut cases who murder and maim people just because they feel like throwing a fit of anger now and again. I'm not into rages against authority unless you're talking big government, politicians, lawyers and the very wealthy and elite. I don't care for brats who act out. Never did. I don't care for scripts that are written by brats. This is one. This kid ought to have been aborted by his mother or popped full of bullets in the first scene to spare us all the pain of watching another sociopathic psycho go through a hundred mad scenes and his secret father protecting him. What a moron both are. Genes don't fall far from the parents. One just hopes this couple never has another child or opportunity to propagate again! I am believing more and more in both euthanasia and eugenics. Let's start with the writers and some of the actors for choosing these roles. How desperate can actors be?
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Square (2017)
An Ad to NOT Visit Sweden
14 June 2019
It is very sad to watch a once functioning culture deteriorate and lower standards to the point where nobody has freedom to function. This film shows almost in documentary style the degeneration of the Swedish society as well as its laws. One has to step over vagrant begging gypsies and Arabs who have attitude on top of everything to get down the street. The upper elites in the country do the pc thing as ours do in America of defending mass immigration and tolerance of ignorant criminal and mentally ill foreigners who have breached the borders and the laws. We watch a man with prestige and a career in his own country lose his self respect and civil behavior to blackmailing illegals, blackmailing insane lovers and blackmailing children. It's difficult to watch. This is a travel brochure for all of the EU at the moment. Unless you want to see famous capitals falling into disrepair and destruction, do not travel abroad anymore. You can find all the illegals you want to embrace right here at home. ( At least we are trying to build a wall to keep some out. ) It is pitiful to watch a grown man turn into a shamed high school student by a looney female sexual companion and an aggressive nasty Arab child. Perhaps this is what the director wanted like Hitchcock with his blondes--bringing them down in the end? However the only thing we are left with is the sad state of affairs with museums, orgs and governments run by incompetent narcissistic children who are techies with degrees and insane ideas who have undermined all of existence and turned this world into a disaster. I"m so glad I'm 70 and will be gone soon.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The OA (2016–2019)
Four stars for the acting.
8 May 2019
Once again, we're facing a script that basically shelves all responsibility for who we are as civilized beings onto society and outside circumstances. The onus isn't on our parents or elders to teach us or on ourselves to adopt better behavior towards each other. We are all tabla rasas wandering in a maze and we are NOT to blame. Oh really? The boy that gets punched in the throat is to blame? The raped girl is to blame? The girl bitten by a mad dog is to blame? In other words, the premise of these writers is 'everything is good' including evil. Well, sounds to me like someone's spent too much time in Hollywood and LA listening to too much rap and smoking lots of dope. It's childish and truly bad to indulge oneself in this kind of thinking. This is basically saying , "Sure, be Charles Manson to work out what you have to, it isn't your fault." I think it reflects the current complete fall of our culture and of education and society in general. Welcome the barbarians and hun, they'll do just as good a job. Personally I don't think there is much hope for life on earth or for human beings. I do not think humans want to be good or without rules seek goodness. Humans are just animals who desire to exist for themselves and only survival matters. Love and feelings are illusions. So is this show. It's another fairy tale gone very bad. If you want to be depressed, watch this. It's an outline for another Columbine.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Desperately Seeking a Screenplay!
23 March 2019
...and the winner of the Worst Screenplay, Worst Actor, Worst Direction, Worst Production, Worst Costume Design, Worst Set Design is "Personal Shopper"!!!! (terrific applause) . Where can one begin?? This is up there with a trip to Hackensack. When you get there, there's nothing there and you wondered why you wanted to go there. It's like having a stomach ache--after it passes you wonder what made you eat that food? An androgynous he/she addicted to depression and nicotine who exhibits bad hygiene and thrift shop mannish clothing is supposed to be a personal shopper for a famous celeb who depends on her fabulous abilities and taste. It amazes me how someone so unkempt and NOT into fashion could/would be chosen to do this for anyone? All the characters are bored and boring to watch. Two dogs in the film were the highlights. What was said by Dorothy Parker about Kate Hepburn years ago is true of this actor in the lead: She/he "runs the gamut of emotions from A to B." This film is like watching a lobotomized person try to get some emotion going--it farts and burps but never arrives. Put all the people who had anything to do with this movie in prison for assaulting our senses for nothing and never let them get anywhere near art or film again!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deadpool 2 (2018)
Cut, cut and cut again
3 March 2019
On a very base level this is an enjoyable comedy. One has to view it censoring all the cynicism, f-words, needless toilet humor kind of like watching 'MASH' of 1970. As usual in modern films it is almost impossible to locate a hero figure or idol. Everyone here lives in a gray zone between good and bad. It is to the film's detriment that they used a grossly obese teenager to try and garner empathy from the audience especially since Ryan Reynolds saps all the energy out of the film with his raw and sarcastic comic shtick which then makes the film a dark brooding piece of moral rubber. If he is the hero and we are supposed to believe he is really trying to be a kinder understanding person, why is he determined to undermine it at every turn or rather why are the writers trying to bring us closer to the mundane trailer trash mind while pushing an ending that is opposite and not believable? The fact is that almost nobody could like this child actor in the center of the film let alone the actors IN the film!? There is nothing to like about a spoiled brat sociopath who lives in comic bookland mentally. The writers seem to be saying that psychopaths are made not born when in fact psychopaths are born! Once again we live in a world in which pc people wish everyone to believe that we are all OK and good at heart even if we kill people for kicks like 'Dexter' did. The visits to limbo where he encounters his dead gf are idiotic. Firstly, Reynolds is so obviously gay and apparently has swallowed the current fad of acting 'bisexual' and 'metrosexual'. He's just this side of a flaming queen. He flirts with homosexual behavior constantly but then believes if his gf lived they'd be happy ever after. (I'm now going to vomit.) Typical Hollywood and America.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much Too Much
28 December 2018
This would've been a fun action film if they hadn't done the obvious--pepper it with heterosexual love interests and family values which have NO place in a comic book or a good movie. You want Disney, watch Lady and The Tramp. Despite the fact that the majority of the world is straight, I still do not see why in this day and age we still have to watch men and women slather all over each other in public. What does this have to do with plot and adventure? This is why films like Lara Croft were so popular--we can relate to singles but rarely to couples. This odd belief that there are alien species that will/can procreate with humans or want to is absurd. It's akin to showing a mammal try to have sex with a plant. The writers must've been told by the producers and therefore the backers to make everything Catholic--push hetero sex and babies along with propaganda that it's wrong to get rid of half the universe population to make reality more equal and fair. The fact is that we could lose China and India tomorrow and still have too many people roaming around on the planet. Mankind in many ways is invasive like a virus. The villians in this film actually are the good guys. Fie on Hollywood. They are so owned banks and mafiosa.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Westworld (2016– )
Pretty good except for...
25 April 2018
This series excels in special effects, violence, blood, etc. that all make for typical American storytelling. Why are we such a violent people? Anyway, the acting is great, the actors are all matched to roles except for old mangy Ed Harris. Why does he get all the parts like Streep gets so many female roles? I don't challenge his ability; just his monopolizing of work. He's waaaay too old, waaaay too wrinkled, waaaay to short and waaaay to poorly preserved. It's kind of like they cruised the nursing homes to find this ancient man to play the part of a villainous killer who should evoke fear in the watcher but only now evokes pity. He looks like he put his walker aside to act for a moment or two. Showing him survive beatings and gunshots from men 1/3 his age is ludicrous. When he strips off his shirt to repair a wound, his muscles are all atrophied. It isn't pretty. I'm not saying older people shouldn't be in films, I'm old myself. I'm just saying old actors have no business playing younger men. It's like watching Astaire and Grant woo women who could be their granddaughters which we did for almost a decade from the 50s to the 60s. It made me nauseous back then and does so now. Who wants to see it? If you can skip through the Harris moments, it's a terrific show!
2 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Massoglia Ruins a Good Movie with Potential
21 April 2018
What a downer. Just when it began to look like a nice little film, they introduce this wooden statue with 1 and 1/2 expressions named Massoglia. He's obviously been chosen for either his looks (rather average actually) or his parents had something to do with the film industry or backing the film or maybe they're just Mafiosa who run Vegas and Hollywood. Anyway, this kid doesn't even try. He looks like he's on drugs to squelch pain. Even trees have more moods. This boy ought to be driving a pickup truck for the local Esso station. He probably wouldn't even be good at that. It's difficult to keep watching this film (though I did just to see what happens in the end) because everyone else is fine and trying so hard to carry it. One feel pity for the costars. All that meat and no potatoes.
Collateral (2018)
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda..
11 March 2018
Disappointing attempt at being extremist PC made by left wing feminist producer. All the women act like versions of men and all the men act like weak, failed human beings. It is quite a statement of our times--the females (they're not really women) do not need men or anybody (unless they're aging lesbians) and the men are very needy and uncertain of everything. It starts with the death of a young male (of course he's an illegal wonderful guy just trying to get his family to England and freedom--yeah right) and the evil bad civilized English people who are responsible for it all because they've had too much given to them. The acting is very good which is why I rated it four stars. All the actors are competent but their abilities are hampered by the politics being pushed at us throughout--allow illegal immigration and give them whatever they want, in fact, hand over the entire country to them because they've suffered and we haven't. The underlying sentiment here is "All Caucasians must be wiped from the planet". Good luck with this one. If I have to sit through another plot with over-worked preggers ladies, women with veils and females in various stages of menstruation and menopause, I'll be ill.
12 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aftershock (2012)
Booooooo and yay!
9 March 2018
Writing and plot suck. We've seen it all before.

There is only one reason to watch this--everyone get's their just desserts! This is the only time I've seen all the rotten brat too rich kids get what they deserve and it is fine! Leaves you with that 'great to be alive' feeling. Couldn't happen to nicer people. Why anyone with any sense would go to one of these screwed up So American countries where people have been so psychologically ruined by the church and government for centuries, I do not know!? This is a great ad for 'see America first'. Actually you can find some of these types in the Mid-West and South and all along the Appalachian Trail, so maybe it's better to just stay at home and imagine a trip.

Anyway, if you've been cut off by a kid driving a BMW for the umpth time or dissed by a group of youngsters because you're over 30, you need to watch this! It'll make you laugh.
Borderliner (2017– )
Disappointing plot; seen it before.
7 March 2018
Trips you up at the beginning because the character seems unusual, a loner of sorts (which I always like). Unfortunately, it deteriorates into usual from there. Idealist moral brother gets involved in self-destructive coverup with his young no goodnick brother (merely because the guy's a widower with kids). Really nothing new here--little bro is a bad egg who ought to have been aborted (like I find most youngest children turn out to be) and leaves a horrid mess for everyone else to clean up whilst never feeling bad about any of it. Sound familiar? One can think of many families (Bushes to Kennedys to Macbeths) who've proved this point again and again ad nausea through the ages. Writers these days appear more nihilistic than ever. Everyone wants us to believe we're all gray cats who have many things to hide from each other. If there are no ideals or models for constructive living anymore and everyone is a 'drug dealer' or 'hustler' of sorts, what's the point of life? Let us embrace global warming and Ebola. Perhaps TS Eliot was correct--life ends with a whimper (most likely from a serial killer these days because the successful people are just better at coverups). One comes away with these lessons: 1) Your family will and can be your downfall in the end and your enemy, and 2) Women should flush their last-borns immediately.
3 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obesity: The Post Mortem (2016 TV Movie)
Excellent but ironic
4 March 2018
Apparently 1/4 of Brits are now obese. The same could be said of Americans. This is a wonderful examination of what excess fat does to the internal organs and how it affects everything inside us. The irony is that the physician doing the post mortem is as obese as the corpse was and his assistant is no small girl either. It is a bit jarring to hear him speak of all the fat surrounding the heart, lungs, kidneys and soft organs and their peril and watch is chubby arms and double chins swinging as he works. It seems to be a sad statement that they couldn't find a slimmer physician who'd be more of an advertisement for healthy living than this one. However the doc itself is fascinating and well done.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Imposters (2017– )
Two for male eye candy only
15 February 2018
OK, here we go again--a series built on superficial mean-spirited liars, cheats and general naive idiots. There is virtually nobody to like! From the parents on down, everyone is a selfish brat. It's like watching narcissism genetically dominant in all species. I've never been presented with so lame a premise. Eva's husband is a baby who throws tantrums on the front lawn when he doesn't get his way and is incapable of comprehending the real world or peoples' motivations. Alice's husband is a bonehead who cannot stop looking at his own muscles in the mirror. All the actual older adults are banal, washed up and cynical but sold out years ago and there's very little of humanity left. I'd say toss all the film into the Thames or burn it but we don't use film anymore do we? This kind of thing was better left to the tv screen in the analog days when a bad show could be canned after a few episodes that didn't register on the ratings scale. How sad for our species if this is what young people given money write and produce. I'd say that the decline of civilization is well under way.
16 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Altered Carbon (2018– )
James Bond has a child with Van Damm
3 February 2018
Joel Kinnemon is a good actor. He was terrific in 'The Killing'. However, this is NOT that. This is a modern James Bond who is even more chillingly blase, world weary, disinterested, uninteresting and rather dull to listen to. He seems to be reading the dialogue from chalk boards held nearby while waiting for his next coffee or cigarette. Oh, wait, they let him smoke in the series--excuse me, all he seems to do is smoke and do drugs and visit teat bars. (Women from the 'Me Too' movement ought to be screaming at things like this!) The women are either super masculinated bitches or femmed up masculine bitches. Every excuse to show bouncing breasts or see through dresses is used. The producers try to pawn off a short Hispanic female cop who is constantly angry with an English accent so bad that I defy people to figure out most of the time what she says. She's half Joel's height so watching them is rather comical--picture Tarzan and a smurf. There are no gay characters, no likable characters, no unusual plot lines. Didn't Van Damm do dozens of these things? Man from past trapped in future he hates being hunted by unknown villians? Very pat. Another boring shoot em up series for teen boys who get their rocks off watching human beings blown to bits every two secs. It's teenage boy masturbation. Did you really need the money that bad, Joel?
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jackie (V) (2016)
Jackie, They Hardly Knew Ye
23 January 2018
This must be the umpteenth version of Jacks by now? I think they were full of bravado agreeing to do this yet again. For those of us who are old enough to have lived through it, nothing new here. I have to say that I have difficulty historically dealing with impersonators in general because I tend to become harsher than usual. I'm a stickler for small details. For instance, her hair is incorrect--Jackie had more of it and a lower hairline which gave her a distinctive look. Natalie's hair comes and goes throughout the film as though she either has extensions going on or a wig and then not a wig. Her hairline is so high that she almost looks like she's balding. Then there's the accent--at times it does evoke Jackie but mostly there's a distinctive annoying lisp that Jackie never had. Then there's the miscasting of almost everyone else in the film The only people who 'look' like they might be Kennedys are the actors for JFK and Teddy whom we barely see or hear. Bobby is played by one of those Swedish boys from that huge Scarsgaard family. He too has an unbearable lisp. Jackie was tall for a female of that time; Ms. Portman barely reaches anyone's shoulders. Jacks was famous for wearing low cut heels. Natalie is on stilts and even then she can't outgrow Tucky or Rose Kennedy (who was a shrimp). The clothing looks bought from a Catholic charities shop downtown--work,cheap and completely wrong. The children are pathetically incorrect, no comment (Some producers' kids no doubt?)! A fine Brit actor plays the priest but hardly has a line worth mentioning. Portman gives good grief but adds a snippy , cranky sarcastic edge to everything she says (very unlike ladies who were taught manners from Miss Porters). A 'rush to production' is obvious . It does perhaps show Jackie's complete experience of the time but hardly and unfairly all sides of the woman. Watch documentaries and skip this one.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The fish and the reefs are lovely
8 January 2018
A couple of the divers are very nice to watch--handsome older men. However, every time the artist/sponsor of this mockudrama enters the picture, it's like watching an extremely ugly man masturbate in public. "Me, me, me, I,, I, I,..." You want to vomit. Many of the sculptures are beautiful but one look tells you they're all modern. They sprinkle just enough 'natives' in (almost like the 30s films did) to make you feel it's authentic but the tale starts to unravel pretty quickly. It really is the artist's fantasy. I felt like I was a voyeur in someone else's dream--awkward and not thrilled about being there with these particular people. I took a bath after.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ray Donovan (2013– )
6 for the acting and camera work
22 December 2017
If one watches a lot of these shows now one has to come to the conclusion that psychos, sociopaths and amoral people are the heroes of our time. Ray is maybe two of these or all of these. The new type of writing always shows the personal side of these people--oh, he has a family and he is a loving husband /father. This was true as well in the vastly popular 'Sopranos'. They're not truly bad, just motivated by love of family. They don't really break the law--they just follow the trends like the Stock Market, twisting it a bit. His brother hates and would kill all homosexuals but he's really just a good kid who was molested (BTW, I was 15 too once and I never met a healthy male teen who could be made to do anything they didn't want to--just ask their parents and peers.). His wife isn't a former hooker or dominatrix, she's just a girl who didn't have the opportunity to get much education. His daughter isn't a borderline on the rise--she's just being a teen. His father isn't a bad ex-con, he just got some bum deals in life and wanted to avenge his son's bad priest homo abusers. Let's all rally round the 'deez, dem, doze' boys and show them how much we appreciate all they've done to bring culture into our world. The one saving grace of the this show is that it probably comes closest to revealing the real Hollywood as it is and was. People with money and power are always corrupt. Macbeth will always do the wrong thing but that's why we like him and identify with him isn't it? I used to watch film and tv to escape the horrors of life; now it just pulls me down even further into it. I used to read about man's atrocities to man. Now CGI brings it home so I can actually see people beheaded, brains splatter, rape, torture--all in 3D!!! Lucky us!!!!
Homophobia and Fear of Penis
7 November 2017
This is an homage to most of the FEMALE stars NOT the male. The only male stars are strictly hetero. They avoid completely the gay issue and the male penis. This film shows lots of hairy female parts and breasts galore but only one or two penises(all flaccid). The male stars shown are showcasing their female stars, not really themselves. They virtually ignore ALL gay productions and film companies. They also vote Ron Jeremy (that fat old piece of flab who even in his prime looked like a greasy mess you'd find anywhere in any pizzeria in any city) as the 'greatest of all male stars'! Makes one cringe but also gives you a good idea as to the level of intelligence behind this piece of crap. Great for a desperate old man who is into women's breasts bouncing on screen to get off on otherwise avoid at all costs. It's really some weird kind of trailer.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic !!
4 September 2017
I've been a cult fan of this film for its entire life! I have watched it dozens (if not more) of times and love the characters more each time. Lauren Ambrose does such a fabulous job of bringing it all together and making the other actors shine. It's fun, camp, comic, satirical, derivative, spoof, loony nature goes the full tilt. It's a joy ride for those of us old enough to remember 'Gidget' 'Marnie' 'Beach Blanket Bingo' 'Attack of the 50 foot Woman' et al. plus there are a bevy of great cars from the 50s/60s to ogle! Very good interpretation of those eras and the way we somewhat were. Charles Busch is fab as always but his genius is in creating the script/play originally. I have two copies on DVD in case one dies.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Folly of Mankind
4 September 2017
Good film, good acting. The true idiocy of war, male games, false gods, and naivete shown with human understanding. Uneducated people will always believe what they desire to believe, usually what's easiest for them to consciously deal with. We all live in our own movies. Based on our childhood rearing and reasoning abilities, we set up an entire belief system for ourselves usually based on other people's lies that have been handed down. God and country, familial preservation, acts of courage are all delusional. We either choose to believe the fairy tales or dispel them and form our own. It's very sad. Most of us live and die trying to preserve what we 'think' other people want of us instead of finding out who we really are and what we think. We've seen this 'Caine Mutiny' depicted many times, but this is another good one.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
South Pacific (1958)
North of Bali, South of Hollywood and Vine
19 August 2017
Yes, Mitzala was trained to do it all like Dodo Day--sing, act, dance. However, poor Mitzi was always the second banana even when she was the first banana. She did a very (and I praise her for this) honest interview in the 70s explaining that she felt she never discovered her real persona or self in films and was never a very good film actress. She's correct. It's nothing to be ashamed of as she entertains well enough to pass just not well enough to be memorable. For decades I mistook her for Vera Ellen and a host of other dancer type actresses from same era who were also unmemorable. Her voice is high school audition style--on pitch but weak and unsophisticated. It doesn't speak from the soul; it is merely adequate to get an audition. Her dancing is terrific but her roles never quite gave her the chance to show it off much. She was the girl you went on a blind date with while you fantasized of Doris Day. She knew her lines and showed up. However, in terms of making a film like this wonderful, she and the miscasting of many others here were the cause of it being just above average. The best performances are by the character actors/sailors like Ray Walston. Sad waste of money and talent. Mitz proved herself in Vegas and live stage which was her niche.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rhinestones Are All You Can Get Here
19 August 2017
"Oh, James..." becomes a joke here. Middle-aged Connery (offering the first glimpse of his oncoming paunch) appears bored, tired, rather over the whole Bond thing. Jill is lovely but just provides the eye candy and the last gasps of the T & A jokes for this genre. Poor Lana Wood reaches the pinnacle of her career here only to be tossed off a balcony into a shallow pool without her top on. How any one of their careers survived this film is amazing!? Sean purposely killed Bond off in this one although one could see the blase weariness crawling over him in the previous 'You Only Live Twice'. Unfortunate for the films that follow in this series that forever more Bond becomes a parody of a spy--a cartoon man. Lazenby was too pretty, Moore too old, the others just a yawn. One went to see them only for the special effects. This particular film does not age well especially because of the boobie and fag jokes popular at the time. One can almost feel the liberation movements of later years rising in the background like a drumbeat. "Your days are numbered." The Bond character here would be equally at home on the Vegas stage of the time with Sammy, Dino et al boozing and broading their way into early bloated deaths. Goodbye James! Nice knowing you.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DePalma on Anti-depressants
30 July 2017
DePalma is famous for stealing script ideas and copying other preceding directors (Hitchcock) who did it better. He's a sad case of too much money and no talent. This is what he'd produce if he just had sex with Disney and immediately after restarted his Prozac. The film starts like a hundred others--brief glimpses into everyone's personas/lives with the usual bedroom humor and moms and dads over the barbees just to let us know they are 'one of us', just reglar folk! Then suddenly they are all astronauts bouncing around no gravity cabins and walking on Mars. The first crew runs into a mean genie who kills all except the Black fella (how pc). The others break the rules to retrieve him only to lose two of themselves in space (one gets iced and the other elopes with dead aliens). There are I think allusions to the Bible (Eve is the big faced statue, mother of us all), theory of chaos (asteroid strike/how Buddhist), and even transsexuals (the alien doesn't appear to have any sex). Lots of off key heavenly choirs singing in the background and doors open and close. Most of the actors appear weary or stunned and look like they regret having signed on. Why are American films sooooo baaaaad? Mafias control them, that's why.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Go
29 July 2017
This film has two things going for it--the opening song and the final credits. If you were a politically correct rainbow person before watching it, guarantee you'll end up detesting most races of color and men in general. Billy Thornton plays the usual male ass only without the idiot Southern Baptist slant he usually sports. All the other cast members are wasted and the humor is sixth grade level if that. It's all 'been there/done that' humor we've seen for the last 100 years in vaudeville and cinema only without the class or punch. The film is tired before it begins. I think a lot of writers now pool together grabbing bits and pieces of other film scripts pasting them together in hopes of a hit. It's like standing by the office shredder yanking pieces of memos here and there to create something you think might be new. Either that or they have computers writing scripts culling from all former comedies within parameters for something original. Sad, waste of money, film and time on performers' and viewers' parts.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Leftovers (2014–2017)
Exactly What the Script Was Created From...
26 July 2017
Seriously? Talk about lame ideas. This is a hodgepodge from different films/TV shows all strung together. The cast is wonderful (that is why I gave it a 5) but there is NOT a single likable character or one that any sane coping individual could hope to identify with. They are all hateful creatures slithering in the slime of humanity. The writer(s) obviously are sociopathic psychos who decided it was time to vent to the masses. It is about pain but all they give each other and the audience is pain. The plodding adventure takes you nowhere fast. Is it real or is it Memorex? Is it a dream or reality? Well, take a valium and view if you must. If humanity is really like this, let's pray for WWIII. The teens are horrid little imps trolling the streets looking to burn the town down and kill their parents. The parents are dysfunctional naval starers. The townspeople are quite boring. Somehow a certain percent of the populace has disappeared (thank God!) and the way most people cope with it instead of grieving is by killing animals(the writers are very fond of this), vandalism, self medicating, murdering, plundering, joining cults, being bitchy to each other--picture a family bar-b-q. The word for this one rhymes with 'hit' and is often used with 'shinola'.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.