Reviews

In the Shadow of Iris (III) (2016)
The beauty of this film is inexplicable.
14 April 2019
First of all, what a tremendous soundtrack this movie has. They use the color and the photography in a masterful way, giving a sense of suspense and intrigue to the plot. The performances are excellent and the atmosphere of the film makes it interesting and sad at the same time. Do not come looking for brutal scenes of fights and many shots, you will not find them. In the same way, I consider that the movie touches the subject of fetishism in a subtle and elegant way, giving a certain sense of interest to the plot. More than anything, the film knows how to touch the existential crises through which human beings cross and that sometimes we can not decipher, yes; accompanied by a soundtrack that makes the film go from 6 stars to 8.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
His daughter's birthdays are never going to be the same.
14 April 2019
The film had a lot of potential, but it gets lost in a little extended script and lack of coherence. Silvia's performance is not very convincing, although Germán's role is exceptional. The film extends a lot, in unlikely follow-up sequences, but it's not a bad movie, only that it's badly executed. However, the film serves to show us the stupid things that human beings do and how naive we can be. Only one thing, did the wife always know the truth? Bizarre ending, disturbing and striking. I recommend the movie only if you have the ability to look beyond the stupid things that humans do.
Mirage (2018)
And we live in a chaotic system, Mr. Prieto. Drastically alterable.
5 April 2019
I have few things to say. Once again it is confirmed that Oriol Paulo is one of the best directors of today. Usually under the radar, the director's job has always been emotionally perfect. We must appreciate more the art of the Catalan director, that art that takes risks, that likes to create stories that are difficult to understand and that break with the established norm. In short, a very well directed film, and with very good actors. Javier Gutiérrez, although with a very limited time in this film, continues to demonstrate why he is one of the best Spanish actors of today. Without a doubt, few directors are able to unite a love story in this way. What a piece of director, that once again, leaves me stunned.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Papillon (I) (2017)
I need to stay, for the same reason you have to go. I belong here.
22 January 2019
Few films are sadder than this one. Few films are capable of transmitting hopelessness, injustice, friendship and loyalty like this film. Two exceptional performances in Hunnam and Malek, who continue to make their own way as revelations actors, although they can already be considered stars. I did not see the original version, so I probably will not be able to compare this version with the original version, but I do not regret it. The colors, the places they used to record the film, the beauty of the misery in many of the scenes, the mere fact that it teaches us a bit of history of what was really lived in one of the colonies of one of the empires biggest in the world . . exceptional, and the simple fact that it is based on a real story makes it more sublime. As 'Papi' says, "this is the story of many."
Upgrade (2018)
Best Sci-Fi Movie of 21st Century.
16 January 2019
One of the best sci-fi movies of the 21st century. Magical performance of Logan Marshall-Green, I even dare to say, at a better level than in 'The Invitation'. A great movie, where it shows us a future that can be very real if we think carefully. Technology dominates us a little more each day, and it was disturbing, intimate and euphoric to observe the power of it in this film. The colors, the filming, the photography, the music, everything at a great level. My only complaint is the performance of Harrison Gilbertson, I would have liked to see another actor play that role. However, if you are looking for a terrifying movie, which at the same time is a pleasure to watch, this is one of them.
Wild District (2018– )
Must Watch. You can't find many Guerrilla stories told in this way.
22 November 2018
Finally, a series of the FARC with perseverance, with incredible dialogues, with strong actors and a spectacular setting. Although I consider myself a follower of what happens in the Latin American continent, as a Puerto Rican, I had never heard anything about the 'Los Pisa Suave'. It's important to know the histories of our countries, and of all the social, economic and political structures that indirectly or directly were and are affected by the actions of the FARC. The way in which the producers and directors represent the city of Bogotá is impressive. Many movies and series only show us the beautiful and spectacular parts of these cities, but the way they collect the reality of the poor and deprived neighborhoods of Colombia is epic, the photographic shots of those concrete jungles, as Lavoe would say, are magnificent and brutal; and at the same time they give an exceptional weight to the reality they want to transmit to the viewer. Juan Pablo Raba returns to demonstrate why he's one of the best Colombian actors of today, surpassing the quality he had presented in 'Narcos', 7 Years, 'The 33' and El Cartel De Los Sapos'. It's difficult to find good productions of the FARC, that even with certain touches of fiction, can keep the spectator in suspense, waiting for the right moment to present the actions that give the turns corresponding to the plot. Another great Netflix production, which continues to seek correct ways to bring Latin American stories to the global conglomerate of society, such as Univision and Telemundo tried to do, but have failed in most of their attempts. Hope for a second season.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Narcos: Mexico (2018– )
Latin American reality with brush strokes of fiction. Another gem of Netflix.
16 November 2018
This series has a difficult task. . . Although I do not consider myself a fan of the Mexican accent, as a Puerto Rican, I believe that this series generates great expectations for me. Diego Luna, in the main role of Gallardo, and Peña in the role of Camarena, two actors of world caliber and well known in Hollywood for their excellent interpretative quality, are one of the causes for that expectation. The purpose of these series should not be to get affection or respect to these drug dealers, but to expose the reality of our Latin American countries, blurred from a perspective for the general public that hides many nuances and will never tell us the true story 100%. Probably does not exceed the prestige of Narcos: Colombia, and if it does, it will fall back on what Luna and Peña can do from their performances. Brutality, realities, murders, blood, shots, mafia, politicians, money, betrayal, infiltrations, all the realities that led Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo to become one of the most reckless. smart and ambitious narcos of all time; and the role played by Kiki Camarena in this story, in a role and a character that you can't have affection, because we know exactly what will happen to him. And as they warned us in the first minutes of this series: it's not going to end well, in fact, it never ends.
26 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Motive (2017)
Each and every one of us are characters in the eyes of others.
11 November 2018
For the love of Christ, what piece of role Javier Gutiérrez has played in this film, of equal or more quality than his Robles character in 'La Isla Mínima'. A character full of emotions, his desire to write a good book upsets the lives of all the people he knows. Slow movie, not recommended for people who like flashes and fast scenes. Instead, film based on the details, with a great weight in the role of Alvaro in the whole plot. The psychological complexity of his role is impressive and Gutiérrez's performance is masterful. It is a very sad film, which teaches us the power of never being satisfied where we are and where we are going. Each and every one of us are characters in the eyes of others in this plot that we call life. We have to be the protagonist of our life. One of the final scenes of the film, when Alvaro is in the police car on the way to the prison is great, spooky. Speaking alone, sobbing, laughing, his dialogue with his person, all those details were a bomb. Great movie, but it does not have a closure in relation to his wife and his teacher, one of the weak points of the plot.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Latin American Reality
9 November 2018
I'm Puerto Rican, I love Latin and Hispanic cinema and when I find productions that are gems of our countries I feel proud like a little child with a medal. A vibrant, exciting and very sad film. Anyone who wants to know a piece of Latin America, I invite you to see this movie, one of those stories that have shaped what we are, for better or for worse. The main actors of first level. Soledad Villamil equal or better than in "El Secreto de Sus Ojos" and Antonio De La Torre with another brutal, exciting, historical interpretation, which puts him back on my personal list of Latin American favored actors of the last decade with Benicio Del Toro, Ricado Darín and Leonardo Sbaraglia. Without much to say, if you are an admirer of Latin American history, I recommend you to see the film without subjective emotions that cloud your thinking. It's incredible, as Mujica became President of Uruguay after the events that took place. Utopian, everything, probably the best film of Latin America in 2018 and one of the best latin american productions of the last decade. Pure Latin American history.
33 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The paint strokes are an important key to understand the big picture.
30 September 2018
It's unbelievable that producers and directors keep finding ways to do stories, the good ones, about the Nazis, or at least, about the people, events, memories and conflicts that happen during that unforgettable moments in european history. It's amazing how a bigger story is always hidden in the simple things. This movie is another example that life is all the time linked to small stories, which at first seem unimportant,but in the end have just given meaning to life itself. Barry Atsma was incredible in this one, and always it's nice to see unknown performers give outstanding performances and interpretations and show to the world that the movies without the gigantic promo and budget can be great pieces of work too.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of those movies that is a journey to self-destruction, despair, loneliness and impotence.
16 September 2018
Don't expect something flashy and fancy here. A movie with no heroes, just an amazing movie based on real events with magnificent performances and an exceptional soundtrack. Sit there, enjoy the movie. Don't expect a happy ending with justice, vengeance and payback. Feel the pain. Be emphatetic with the main character and try to help him, even if you can't. Not to many movies have the touch to tell a story this way without the gigantic budget, the overrated performers and the exagerated promo.That's life; a chain of huge errors.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To be is not to stop being.
18 September 2017
Amazing movie!!! Not your usual topic and not with your usual characters. All I can say is I feel identified a lot with these movie because I came from a hometown with a lot of similarities with Salas, at least in the folklore of the place, the marvellous characters of the town, all with his own problems and with his own way of living. I can't say I was boring at anytime when I see these movie, and the movie don't have any type of action scenes that make an impact in the common eye of the viewer , but the work of the main and secondary characters are so good through all the movie that I can't complaint. Not at all. As a young man with some ambitions and aspirations to continue my career in a foreign country, I hope my homecoming would be different, in a positive way, than Daniel's. And remember, to be is not being.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neruda (2016)
It's hard to explain, but these movie is a poem.
18 September 2017
Just mesmerizing. Hard to explain, like the title of these review says, the writers of these masterpiece has one job and they can't do it better. It's like the vast majority of the dialogues in these movie carried their own beauty, there's no words that describe the impact of the script if you don't see the movie. The setting/scenario was amazing, the soundtrack 5 stars, and the cast, oh my, Luis Gnecco on his portrayal of Neruda was top notch and Garcia Bernal with another strong performance help his case to be one of the best latinamericans actors in Hollywood in 21th Century.The movie has a slow pace, but that pace help the purpose of the movie and the dialogues because facilitates to the common eye the way yo identify herself with Neruda and Peluchonneau. If you're a fan of latinamerican movies, I recommend these one. Probably one of the best latinamerican movies of the decade and with a lot of phrases to remember.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Victoria (II) (2015)
A journey to self-destruction.
11 September 2017
Probably, just probably, the most depressive movie of all time. This movie could have two different reviews and it all depends in the moment and place you decide to view this one. Isn't the same if you see this movie in a cinema with a lot of people talking and not paying attention on the movie, with babies crying, with two people kissing each other and making jokes in the front row that seeing these masterpiece alone at your house, in the night and thinking about life. Things change quickly and the environment affect your opinion about a movie. I see these movie when I was making so many important decisions for my future and I never felt so powerless seeing a movie since probably "Nocturnal Animals". I only recommend these movie to you if you're in the mood for a depressive movie and have the guts to hold on all the damage the characters of "Victoria" do to themselves. And I need to admit,I'm not to fan of movies where the lead role falls in a woman, but Laia Costa deserve more nominations to academy awards, she truly put the rod high for future German movies try to overcome these European gem.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"When I met her, I told her that I had all the fears of the world". Sbaraglia's does it again.
11 September 2017
I don't come expecting too much of these movie, I see the name Leonardo Sbaraglia and I knew since the beginning that even if the movie don't have a 7.0 rating on IMDb, the performance of Leonardo will change the balance on these one. An amazing actor and probably the best argentine perfomer of 21th Cetury along with Ricardo Darín. These movie is a raving psychological thriller that keep you interested if you're in the mood to see a complex movie that don't have heroes and don't have happy endings. Don't come expecting happy stories or relief when "the good guy kills the bad guy" or something like that because you will not find anything like that in these masterpiece. You will feel powerless along the course of this nightmare that will never end. And the sweet and sour taste will remain in your mind forever. These movie is about life, at the end, the good guys and happiness almost never win and even if it does, does not make up for everything it happen before. Like Mario says: "These don't have cure. My problem was not the plane, my problem is the sky". Everything.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My 3rd Italian film, my 3rd hit. Not your conventional Hollywood type hero, but better.
11 September 2017
Oh my, just when I thought I see it all, another hidden gem surprises me. This movie has everything, and even when I think I will never see a more controversial relationship between two main characters since "Leon, The Professional", Enzo and Alessia appear. A weird movie, with a rare plot, but I need to say that better than a lot of American superheros movies that saturate the cinematography year by year these days. Just hope this will not be just a one hit wonder and the director continue these franchise because they could have a future if they make the right moves. A sad story, with a non-conventional approach, for be "a superhero movie", but that is well executed and will take a place between my favorite films outside of Hollywood. Great work!!!!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suburra (2015)
There's beauty in misery.
10 September 2017
My 2nd Italian film, my 2nd hit. Gomorra type level (movie and TV show) and hope the new show on Netflix with the same name be at the same level. Well, where I'm start . . . these movie was so good that even the sex scenes between Sabrina and Filippo worth the time. And I'm not a fan of pointless sex and nudity on movies, but even that type of scenes where beautifully filmed in Suburra. I don't know if it's a combination between the dramatic music, the facial expressions of both of them, the surreal beauty of the Italian cities, the beautiful way the movie was filmed or even the great style the italians have to personify people that work on the underworld and corruption. If you're a fan of mob-style crime dramas, I truly recommend these movie and if you don't know yet the Gomorra TV show, give it a look (my favorite TV show produced out of Hollywood) and better than a lot of overrated American TV-shows.

PD: That bed conversation scene between Sebastiano and Sabrina was so sad and lovely at the same time.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7 Años (2016)
A rare movie, with a rare plot, with exceptional performers. The finale hurts the movie, that's because the 8.0
9 September 2017
"Dirty clothes are washed at home". That's the "saying" that define these movie. At first, I start seeing these movie because it's show up in the references of IMDb and the name of Juan Pablo Raba and Paco León stand out, well known performers in the Spanish and Latin Cinematography, but I was surprised in the good way by the performance of Juana Acosta. I did not know her but I'm sure will looking more of her in the future. These movies are hard to do, when you only have 5 performers and only one setting you think that would facilitate the live to the director, writers, producers and performers; but nothing further from the truth. For a movie like this work, you need to have and excellent chemistry between the performers and a strong intensity in the dialogue to keep the eye of the viewer interested. That's hard to do, you don't have the landscapes and scenery to entertain the common eye, you don't have the plot to produce fights, gunshots and unbridled violence to quench thirst of the spectators, so you're depending the 99% of the chemistry of you performers. And these movie does exactly that, the chemistry between the performers was so big and well reinforced that if i will recommend these movie to you, the main reason will be because of that. These guys truly can act and I think the dialogue/plot works in favor of them in these one. Of course, you need to be bilingual to enjoy 100% these movies, in the subtitles there are so many things missed sometimes, specially in Netflix. But, if you're a fan of the Spanish Cinematography I will recommend these movie to you: short and well acted. My only complaint will be the finale, oh my, I truly want their friendship collapse in all the possible ways.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black Snow (2017)
I was expecting a lot more in a movie that count with the Sbaraglia/Darin combination, but the last 25 minutes save the movie.
6 September 2017
Huge disappointment. I don't know if the director, producers and writers don't find the way to deliver the correct message or they don't know how to put the right pieces of the puzzle or even use the right flashbacks at the right time. I won't lie, I was expecting a huge movie in part because the producers have in these movie the pleasure of count with the two best argentine actors in the 21st century and in my opinion two of the best latinamerican actors that probably will never make the final step to Hollywood (sadly for us, hope I'm wrong) and they don't put a plot that exploit the skills of Sarabaglia/Darin. I can't complain about the setting/scenario. Excellent, and in part save the movie that cold/cruel environment along with the fog, mountains and the final 25 minutes of the movie. I recommend these movie to you only if you're a fan of Sbaraglia/Darin or if you like Argentinian films, otherwise you won't find anything useful in these movie.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leonardo Sbaraglia's performance save this movie.
4 September 2017
Well, as a puertorican I'm a fan of the Latinoamerican Cinematography and while it's true there are not many +7 stars movies by year in Latin cinematography, but there's always a handful of movies that sometimes exceeds the Hollywood films with a lot of promo and a gigantic budget. These is one of those movies and the responsibility lies in one name: Leonardo Sbaraglia. Yes, the story is not 10 stars, but the performance of Sbaraglia along with the argentine badlands, the cruel way in which poverty is presented and the bizarre relationships between the characters make these movie a must-see if you're a fan of the Argentinian films like "El Secreto De Sus Ojos", "Relatos Salvajes", "Nueve Reinas" and the list goes on. It could be better, no doubt, but Sbaraglia's performance worth the time.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Narcos (2015–2017)
Better than ever.
2 September 2017
OK, I need to write these review because I see a lot of people complaining about "No More Escobar", hell what you expect? These show is based on Narcos = Drug Kingpins; and the course that take the drug when the most powerful drug kingpin on the world bite the dust for the first time in his life. "I miss Escobar", "The show isn't the same without Escobar", "Cali Cartel is boring"; I guess these people never hear of character development and the assumption that the drug kingpins don't have the same methods, because they evolve and learn from the mistakes of their opponents. I see other people saying that these show is the same as the others narcos shows like: El Cartel De Los Sapos, El Patrón Del Mal, Bloque De Búsqueda, Alias JJ, El Señor De Los Cielos and the list goes on and goes on. Wrong, AGAIN. The quality of the music in these show, the actors used to represent all the characters (especially the role of Jorge Salcedo personified by Martín Varela was the best of the 3 Narcos seasons so far, even better than the recognized Pedro Pascal as Peña, Wagner Moura as Pablo Escobar and Damián Alcázar as Gilberto Rodríguez) and the beauty of the setting make these show the best TV show in history when the 95% of the actors speak in the Spanish language.And I feel very proud of that as puertorican, because a lot of the music used in the show by the genre of "Salsa" comes from my island like: Héctor Lavoe, Ismael Rivera, Cheo Feliciano, Angel Canales and the list goes and goes on and bring an unique caribbean flavor to the show. Of course, I'm not proud of the actions committed by all those narcos, but it's important to know the history of our brother country, Colombia. My only complaint is some of the actor accents, but what the ****, if you want quality actors you need to let that triviality pass. Hell, I expect that the next season will be based in the ruthless empire of Orlando Henao Montoya and the Cartel del Norte Del Valle and I assume by the popularity of these show the producers will continue these show with the mexicans drug kingpins that rise after the destruction of Cali Cartel, Medellín Cartel and Norte Del Valle Cartel. Can't wait for season 4!!!
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mr. Mercedes (2017– )
One of the best opening scenes in the history of television. Convinced me to read the book.
25 August 2017
Oh my, we have a winner! Those first 6-8 minutes of these TV show will haunt me forever. The setting, the cold-scenario, the woman with the baby, the "tough guy drinking his coffee and talking s***", along with the environment of a row in the 4 AM with hundreds of people in a jobs fair. Can't find a more surreal setting for Mr. Mercedes do what he do. Oh, and another thing, the relationships between Harry and his mom and Ida with Bill, so different in all aspects, but both well scripted and presented in the show. If you're an adrenaline junkie, don't see these TV show, but if you're a guy that like the well-made stories with good character development and a surreal plot, these one is for you. Hope at the end of the season I don't need to change my review.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ray Donovan (2013– )
When you have a great character development, you don't need a lot of gunshots and special effects to make a good TV show.
17 August 2017
2017 and I'm starting to see these TV show. Well, I'm a TV show junkie and I consider myself a man who saw all the great TV shows post 2000: Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Lost, Fargo, True Detective, The Walking Dead and now Westworld and the list goes on and goes on, so, came a moment when you're starting to lose the patient because when you see all the 5 stars show, you have to get used with the other ones and the rating and quality of the show will come down, no doubt, it comes with the territory. So, I give it a chance to Ray Donovan and I'm not disappointed. Jon Voight and Liv Schreiber duo are probably one of the best in the history of television along with Paul and Carson in BB or McConaughey and Harrelson in True Detective. If you're an adrenaline junkie that likes the TV shows with the emotion of interminable fights and a lot of gun and gunshots, these show is not for you. But, if you like an amazing character development, with a good, controversial and emotional plot, I totally recommend these one.
Ozark (2017– )
It's good, really good. Bateman, Garner, Linney and Butler with Academy Award worthy performances.
12 August 2017
I mean, it's not like you don't see a lot of TV shows and movies related with drugs and family problems, but Ozark have a great casting. I mean almost every character is well developed and the performers look so natural when they are acting, they fit so well in the scenario that look almost real. And I think the setting/place the show is recorded have a great impact in the success of Ozark in the first season. My only complain is that probably the producers should have chosen another actor for the character of Jacob Snell. Hell, I know the purpose of look like a "redneck or a farmer" but man, Peter Mullan looks like a Chuck Norris from Missouri and I don't feel intimidated and tensed up at any moment when he was speaking, quite the opposite with Esai Morales and Camino Del Rio. It's a shame the producers decide to put an end to his character so early in the show. Hope the producers find a way to success with these show in a second or third season and don't fall miserably in the attempt, like Netflix do with Bloodline. Give it a try, if you like the shows with good and well developed characters. Don't come looking for a lot of blood, shootings and things like that.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Manhunt: Unabomber (2017– )
Interesting, but I think these show will be better explained by Unabomber's POV.
11 August 2017
Not bad, not bad at all, in my opinion Bettany and Worthington will be Academy Award winners if these show was produced by HBO or another famous trademark. First of all, if you're looking to see desperate violence, gunshots, fights and "flashy violence" these isn't a show for you.Is a thriller, a psychological one, between "The Unabomber" and "Fitz", and the bureaucratic processes in the government agencies that can delay investigations like this. The show have a really slow pace, but it comes alive thanks to the performances of the principal and secondary characters. Will see how the producers develop these show, but the first three episodes are good enough to give these show a chance. Hope ends well.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.