Reviews

Head Count (2018)
A 5???? Oh please!
18 September 2019
I didn't even know what this film was about, I just came across it on Netflix and the very brief synopsis caught my attention. The one thing I felt from this movie is that the characters felt real. Like each reaction is genuinely what would happen if someone were to experience what they experienced. The main guy did a good job as this awkward almost needy guy deseparate for attention. The storyline was brilliant, original, although it bears slight resemblence to It Follows, The Thing and Coherence. My only criticism is that I would have liked a bit more detailed background of the creature, and the creature itself was terribly cheap looking. Bad CGI. Other than that a genuinely good, creepy film. Really enjoyed it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The I-Land (2019– )
Did we watch the same show?????
16 September 2019
Not sure how this has a FOUR rating!!!!!!! This show is fantastic. For me it should have been a bit longer with more twists and more explanation. They only had 7 episodes at 30-40mins each so they had a lot to get through in short time. I would have preferred the revelation as to why they were there to be revealed much later. Not all the actor's are great. But it didn't matter because I thought the storyline was brilliant. I still needed more background depth into each character but it managed to work and I enjoyed it. If this idea of why there were on the island had been used in Lost, then Lost would have been a 10/10 show. I'm surprised this show is rated so low, it doesn't deserve such a harsh score.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Child's Play (2019)
Underrated!!!
11 September 2019
This was a pleasant surprise! It's not often where you get a remake that is better than original and this film is one of the few exceptions! The original film tries to be scary but comes off as a bit of a joke. This one however didn't take itself too seriously, and it worked really well as a comedy horror. The main kid is a great actor, supporting cast did a good job, especially the other kids. I don't like the new version of the Chucky doll, I prefer the old one but that's irrelevant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better concept as well, glad they took out the storyline of the doll being cursed which was silly.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grand Hotel (2019– )
RENEW! RENEW! RENEW!
10 September 2019
I wasn't expecting much from this show, hence why I didn't watch it as soon as it came out. But I'm so glad I finally watched it. Absolutely amazing show. Full of drama, twists and turns. This is edge of your seat stuff. If it's not renewed for season 2, I'm gonna make a fuss.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated!!!
29 August 2019
I wasn't expecting much from this show, but I thought I'd give it a go. I've been pleasantly surprised watching this, it's actually very, very funny and very well acted. The only thing is that I think they didn't need the American characters, should have kept it all British, and that's more to do with the British humour, however the three main American actors (Duffy, Ainsley and Craig) are great, especially the guy who plays Duffy. Also I'm not overly convinced by the actor who plays Kash. They could have cast someone better as his acting falls flat at times, but apart from those minor things it's a brilliant show.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
17 August 2019
I actually really like this show. It's funny, love the British humour. It probably can't go further than season one because of what it's about but I'm really enjoying it.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Into the Dark: School Spirit (2019)
Season 1, Episode 11
Good!!
4 August 2019
I actually think this is one of the better episodes. They've had some right crappy ones, but this is a little more up my street. I agree with the other review that it was predictable and the acting not so great, but I still liked it. I think if the main girl were a better actress or if someone else had been cast, it may have been a little more engaging.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
XX (2017)
Oh dear
29 July 2019
Well that was quite a waste of time. To be honest I wished they had focused on a full length feature of The Box and just forgotten about the other 3 stories. The Box was so mysterious and intriguing, I really didn't want it to end. The other 3 were tedious, and badly acted.
Urge (2016)
WTF did I just watch?
28 July 2019
Interesting idea, and there were a million and one ways this could have gone, yet they took the wrong route. This was just pure and utter drivel with bad actors. What should have been a thought provoking and deep film was a tacky, messy concoction. Terrible
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin (2019)
Better than expected
3 July 2019
Of course I'm a huge fan of the cartoon. And I feel this stayed true to the cartoon but managed in my opinion to excel it. My only problem with it is that the actor who played Jafar didn't sell it. It's a big character to play and I don't think he lived up to it. The Jasmine character was good, beautiful girl and great singer, but still could have had a better actress. The actor who plays Aladdin was absolutely brilliant. He really embodied the character adding a lot more humour which was great. And what to say about Will Smith? I thought he was excellent. He never tried to copy Robin Williams portrayal of the genie, he made it his own while still capturing all the genie's traits. And I like they slightly changed the story of the genie a little bit. And let's give props to the character Dahlia. Absolutely hilarious. Funnily enough I didn't want to watch this, my daughter dragged me to the cinema to watch it, but I ended up loving it more than she did.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Intruder (I) (2019)
Boring
23 June 2019
Sorry but when you make a movie with this cliched storyline, you absolutely have to make it different from the many films like it we've seen before. This didn't stand out at all. There was nothing special about it. It was just a very generic retold story. I'm not sure what the point of even making it was.
33 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Assimilate (2019)
Blah
15 June 2019
Complete rip off of Body Snatchers, and that was a better film. Only the two main boys were decent actors, the rest of the cast were awful. I actually really did like the very end scene, but mainly it was a snooze fest.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Booksmart (2019)
Funny but not original
3 June 2019
There's a lot of hype over this film, but after watching it, I'm not sure I understand the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's a funny movie, I enjoyed it and the 2 lead girls are great actors. (Can't get over how much Beanie looks like her brother Jonah Hill). Having said that, there's nothing original about the plot, this storyline of a 'night of chaos' has actually been overdone so many times. It's almost identical to Superbad, which kinda begs the question, 'what was the point in making it?' But nevertheless an enjoyable film anyways.
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not exactly what I was expecting.....
26 May 2019
I sat down expecting a horror film, and the first half of film seems to be heading in that direction. However it's more of a psychological drama/thriller with a few twists. I have to say the acting was good, and the storyline itself unexpected but decent. However I would have liked to have seen this film go in a totally different direction. The ending was a little cliche for me, they weren't very imaginative there. It really had the potential to be something so much better than it was.
33 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Twilight Zone: Point of Origin (2019)
Season 1, Episode 8
Felt unfinished
17 May 2019
Again another PC episode. The show needs to cool down a bit. Trying to take current issues and make sci-fi stories out of them. However there were too many questions leftover and so for me this story didn't feel complete. Nevertheless it was still an interesting idea.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Into the Dark: All That We Destroy (2019)
Season 1, Episode 8
Best episode hands down
13 May 2019
The episodes of this show have all been very average but this one is genius. It took me a while to understand what was going on (I hadn't read the synopsis on here), but once it got going it was intriguing throughout. And what an amazing performance from the main actor Israel B. He blew me away, he was phenomenal. Really believable. The mother however I was not a fan of. Could have cast a better actress. Nevertheless my favourite episode. Well done.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Twilight Zone: Not All Men (2019)
Season 1, Episode 7
Good Episode!!!
13 May 2019
This for me so far is the best episode and yet the lowest rated. I'm sure it was only 'certain people' who have rated this low. Oh boohoo they're bashing men. Yes, this show can be a little PC at times, but this was a good episode, well acted. But for me it doesn't work as a 40min episode. This needed to be a film or a 3 part mini series or something along those lines. It needed more of a build up and a conclusion in order to work.
9 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Silence (II) (2019)
That's it?
14 April 2019
I was actually enjoying this film. It's another version of A Quiet Place but still it's a decent film. As it was getting really interesting, it just ended. Maybe this might have worked better as a mini series? Cos it doesn't work as a film. Sorry. Not enough time to cover all ground. But a decent cast.
Snooze fest
12 April 2019
I turned this on excited, awake and alert with anticipation. Turned it off after 50 mins because I noticed there was a whole hour left I couldn't take it anymore. I thought this was supposed to be a horror film. One of the most boring things I've ever seen in my life. I don't even know what it was about. One of the driest things I've ever seen.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
9 April 2019
I really wanted to like this as I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Nancy Drew books as a child. But I'm not liking how they're making Nancy Drew so childish. From what I recall, Nancy in the books is 19 years old. So I'm not sure why in the two film they've made now, she's being portrayed as a child. I think the main actress is very talented, she's a great actress, and story line was interesting, but the revelation ruined it for me, the supporting cast were not very good. It all just fell apart, and it's a shame. I'd like to see them do something with this character that's more along the lines of Veronica Mars. That's a closer depiction of Nancy Drew, and very well done as well.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Escape Room (I) (2019)
Good film, bad ending
5 April 2019
This film for me up until the end would have been a solid 9.5. But the end just fell flat and became like every other horror moving ending. Cliched and predictable. A shame as this should have had a clever, shocking ending. Still a good film I enjoyed it throroughly
The Nun (2018)
I'm in shock at how bad this was
26 March 2019
This is part of The Conjuring universe....really??? It was pure and utter drivel with absolutely no plot. It didn't go anywhere it was such a waste of time. On top of that, some pretty bad acting from the main guy and those nuns. Avoid at all costs.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hell Fest (2018)
Thoroughly enjoyed this!!!!!!
24 March 2019
One of best horror films I've seen in a while if I'm honest. I love the concept, I thought it was very cleverly written, the mazes looked amazing, and well thought out. Really did well creating that creepy and unsettling atmosphere. The only flaws were the very stereotypical and cliched characters. You see the same characters in the same horror films with the same dialogue and it gets boring. However, the whole setup for this film outweighed some of the dodgy acting and silly characters. I would definitely visit a park like this.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
White Orchid (2018)
Good film
24 March 2019
I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I think the score of 5 is a little harsh. It was a better idea than execution. For me, there was a decent build up of intensity and intrigue, but once we found out the killers motive, for me that fell really flat. After all that, I expected something amazing, but I was like, 'oh ok'. Some parts of the film needed a bit more depth, some characters were just randomly placed. Her friend and her neighbour needed more substance. But overall I enjoyed it. The very end was good
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming film
16 March 2019
Awww this was so funny and yet really touching at the same time. Mark Wahlberg is hilarious and Rose Byrne really captivates those sadder moments. Really pleasantly surprised by this. Really enjoyed it
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.