Reviews

Night and Fog (1956)
A whistle-stop tour about the Holocaust
25 July 2019
A whistle-stop tour about the horrors the victims went through in the Nazi camps. The photographs and footage shown in this documentary are heartbreaking, it made me more empathetic to the victims of the Nazi camps and the horrors they went through. Alain Resnais did an extraordinary job making this concise, thought provoking, and essential documentary. It can be easily considered as one of the greatest documentary films ever made.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Convoy (1978)
Great Movie, Hugely Underrated
23 June 2019
Convoy is not just a movie about truckers! It is so much more.

The film starts with an altercation between some truckers and a dirty cop. As it progresses more and more truckers join the original bunch of truckers with a sense of camaraderie. The way their convoy was feared by the government and the state shows how the government fears average people stand for their rights. The film is full of allegories. But some might argue that all the allegories presented in this movie are shallow ones. Well, in that case I would like to say that all the allegories were pretty effective and I felt empathetic.

For those who felt the allegories were shallow I would like to add that Peckinpah's original rough cut for this was 220 minutes whereas the version we all saw was about 110 minutes. That tells something! The studio was trying to ride on the success of previous year's release "Smokey and the Bandit"- which might explain why the first half of Convoy was only consists of chase and action scenes which was very unlike of Peckinpah. But the 2nd half of the film shined brightly, it brought all the allegories into play. I wonder how great would be the Peckinpah original 220 minutes cut! I don't know if we ever get to see that version, but I pray we do!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rare film about everyday Americans
2 December 2018
It's a rare film that showcases the hardships of everyday Americans. Hollywood seems to be too busy nowadays with Superhero films, Sci-fi, Historical dramas etc. and seems to have forgotten about the dreams and hardships of average Americans. This film tries to showcase that, and it succeeded without being overly dramatic. Regina Hall delivered an excellent performance in this film.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unsatisfactory execution of a great story on the screen
1 December 2018
The movie's premise had all the ingredients to make this film a great one, but it misfired badly which is a shame.

The movie started off on a right note. But in the middle of the film the director somehow lost his footing to empathize his audiences with the terrible deeds the Nazis did through the eyes of this film's protagonist Adolf Eichmann.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.